Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One Piece: The Hawk & The Headhuntress (Yuna & Vandesdelca's 1x1)

LadyYunaFFX2

Pulsar
http://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpghttp://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpghttp://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpg

The night was young, dark, and even a bit chilly. Yet despite all the eerie factors, they were much more of a reassurance for twenty-one year old bounty huntress, Aiya. Of course, she wasn't known simply by her first name. Anyone who had seen her poster knew her by a few names. Some people called her "Black Blade Aiya", others used "Bloody Aiya" but the most popular nickname she had been given was "Headhuntress Aiya". The reason was simple. She almost always killed her victims via beheading with her treasured blade, appropriately named Kazekami.

A mix of skill from years of training plus an Ax Dial enabled her to toss air blades at her opponents from a distance if she so desired. As nice as the range was, it wasn't her forte. No, she preferred to be up close and personal with her targets.

Aiya wasn't like any other woman the world had seen. Far from it, if anything. While the word 'mercy' was a term she did know of, Aiya didn't usually display this emotion. People had to earn that from her, among many other things. Respect was another major aspect but perhaps equally as vital to her was her innocence. No one had been worthy enough and thus she had kept herself from being touched thus far.

But what was her real pride and joy was her ability to have killed - or at least defeated - everyone she had encountered without using a Devil Fruit. Aiya relied on nothing but herself, her intimidation, and her swordsmanship.

A proud smirk crossed her face as her crimson eyes slowly opened. She could see it, in the distance; Kuraigana Island. Her mind briefly went to the talk she had with her former comrade, Saku.

"...Mihawk? Dracule Mihawk?" he had asked.

"Why? Did I stutter?"

"No. But don't you think this is pushing your luck."

Aiya had wasted no time in shooting him a glare. "I've come too far to just back down! Besides, Crocodile was a Shichibukai like him. And ... well ... you know his fate."

"This is likely going to be different. You know of his nickname, don't you?"

"Of course I do! I always do my research on people I go after!"

"Then you should know 'Hawk-Eyes' isn't just there for the hell of it ... "

It had ended there. She said nothing and stormed off to her room. It hadn't been until Saku had fallen asleep that she acted and stole one of the lifeboats and was using it to travel towards her destination.

It had been a good three days since she had last seen or spoken with Saku. Her arms were tired, but not enough to stop her from rowing. Thankfully, the sea had assisted her every now and again by helping Aiya drift in the right direction. It was as if the very ocean itself knew of her goal and was aiming to help guide her.

Her eyes slowly closed once more as she let the water continue to push her forward.

"So close and yet so far .. " she muttered softly, her smirk widening as an adrenaline rush fueled by anticipation began to surge through her.

There had been a few times that Aiya thought back on what had likely been her last conversation with Saku, mainly to consider if this truly was too much.

Maybe.

But the day the Marines had landed on her former hometown island - which used to be known as Freeport - and performed a mass execution against everyone had been the moment Aiya lost all respect and love for anyone affiliated with them. She never once forgot about how it had gone, looked. It was basically like being hit by a swift firing squad. And to make it worse? No one had seen it coming.

The island still existed, though it may as well not have. No one lived there anymore. Even to this day, Aiya could only explain herself having endured the firing squad incident through nothing but sheer luck.

Yet that fortune had allowed for her to grow up and begin avenging her former hometown, all while simultaneously getting rid of the higher up ranking Marines or anyone affiliated with them. That thus included people like Cipher Pole and the Shichibukai. They were favored tools of the Government and Marines. It was all the incentive she needed.

Her hand waved gently through the air as she forced herself to forget about the old flashback.

"It doesn't matter anymore," she mused softly, feeling her smirk widen more as she looked in time to see the island now maybe a few minutes at most away.

"Ready or not, Dracule, here I come ... "

Kuraigana had to be a familiar sight to the young headhunter, even if Aiya had never visited the island personally. It was a dark and gloomy place, the air positively stained and heavy with blood and tears. It was a place where great battle had taken place, and lives had been lost in such great amounts to officially be declared "uninhabited".

But it wasn't, was it?

There were signs of more recent scars, wounds in the earth that had to be one, perhaps two, years old rather than eight or nine as were the rest of them. The huandrills were cowed, their numbers freshly culled by the powerful green-haired swordsman, and Dracule Mihawk's one and only student... not that the rest of the world knew such, for his position within the Shichibukai was still perfectly intact, despite his somewhat more public disregard for the World Government as a whole.

Oh, he did their dirty work, but only just enough to keep his position, lending more his name than his blade to the cause these days.

And the reason was quite simple -- Mihawk was bored.

Zoro had been a distraction for a couple of years -- an entertaining one, even. And with Zoro's passing through the kingdom, headed back to assist his captain in conquering the second half of the Grand Line, Mihawk was left with little to do. He entertained, perhaps, the possibility of busying himself with another soul. But so few were strong like Zoro had been. It left him perplexed and without anything to do -- a state of affairs that could very well come to a close...

The beachhead was relatively accessible, the path almost blank between the rocky shore and the castle in which Mihawk made his home these days...

http://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpghttp://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpghttp://i60.tinypic.com/algqd5.jpg

Finally the small boat, which honestly may as well have been more akin to a raft, bumped against the edge of the closest surface. Gentle yet firm, pale hands placed themselves on the ground as Aiya pushed herself out of the small craft and got out of it, now on the land. She stood up at her full height of five feet eight inches, another aspect of her that was different from most other females. She was taller. It might only be by a few inches or so but she cared not. The fact she could surpass almost any woman in anything, be it height, skill, or anything else, was a damn good accomplishment in Aiya's mind and eyes.

First thing was first, however. Aiya needed to at least try to think of some sort of plan. While it was true she tended to just rush into battle, opponents like Mihawk were special to her. She thus thought long and hard, wanting to at least ensure she came out alive if not get what she wanted. But really, the verdict with the latter had never been an issue. Still, the precaution had saved her more then enough times in the past.

"You're in his territory. That already is going to give him an advantage," she mused softly, slowly beginning to take steps forward. "He likely has some form of Haki ... hm. Depending on which one, though, will help if he can prepare for you or not."

It was rare for any one individual to have all three types. Not impossible .. but highly unlikely. At most, she saw him having two and already had a good idea of which combinations to expect. Ironically enough, Aiya also had her own Haki. She just had never woken the abilities up.

"Furthermore, Saku was right on one thing. 'Hawkeyes' isn't just there for decoration. You're gonna have to be several steps ahead of him if his sight is truly that good." An amused smirk crossed her face as her pace began to quicken. "Maybe just slash for those? I doubt anyone's tried and hell, it's at least worth a shot."

With new ideas coming to her mind, Aiya walked - almost ran - confidently towards Mihawk's castle. An adrenaline rush began to form within her as she got closer and closer to approaching her new target. She had little doubts this would be one of the more amusing fights and for that, Aiya was very glad. She hated when bounties were far too simple or easy to kill.

Indeed, the moment that Aiya set foot on the island... there were the eyes of the hawk upon her. A golden gaze that tore through the trees all the way down the beach from one of the spires within the castle that Mihawk had taken to calling home. Lips twitched into just the faintest smile -- for any other man, they wouldn't have been able to see anyone was there yet, much less recognize immediately who they were. Of course, as a Shichibukai he was kept aware and informed about the latest and greatest within the pirate world. And with what had happened to Crocodile, Aiya had already drawn his attention. But showing up here on his island? That drew his interest. It was rare that people actually sought him out these days. He'd left too long a string of corpses for most to consider trying.

Interesting.

It wouldn't take too long for Aiya to reach the castle, its architecture foreboding and gothic in nature. It was truly a gloomy place -- just the sort of place that would fit the man known as Mihawk with his grim countenance and his downright spooky mode of travel across those seas. His boat was no larger than Aiya's -- but the truly skilled didn't need much, did they? It was a gutsy way to go on the Grand Line for most.

But as Aiya reached the throne room.

"... 'Headhuntress' Aiya. I can only surmise that you have come for my head," Mihawk said, his voice booming across the throne room. He had settled himself simply on where the long-dead king had once sat, his coat spilling out over the side as his hands rested on the hilt of that black crucifix blade, its curved steel resting on the stones of the throne room floor before him. There was no coyness in his tone, his golden eyes merely staring out at the bounty hunter over the handguard fo his blade.

Aiya's mind continued to think long and hard on both the upcoming fight and various rumors. His house was supposedly haunted, though Aiya would argue it sounded more like cursed from what she had heard. Still, it was something she kept in mind even though the headhuntress didn't believe in these things usually. But apparently, the mansion was supposed to - literally it seemed - have a mind of it's own. Her right hand gripped the hilt of Kazekami as her left finally dismissed the matter after a few more moments of thinking on the rumor.

"That's so stupid," she decided. "Houses can't be sentient. It's just not possible. Weapons ... maybe. But an actual place of residence? No."

The only reason she even began to believe a weapon could was because her first sword, Touzoku, had seemed to be. Whereas Kazekami was appropriately named 'wind god', Touzou meant 'thief'. It literally did as it's name suggested; if she went against a fruit user, it temporarily disabled and stored away some of their own abilities into the sword. That way, Aiya could have used it against them and they would have no way to protect themselves against it. By the time their powers returned ... well .. it never mattered, now did it?

The headhuntress never got to think long enough on whether it had been wise or not to keep Touzou upon the ship with Saku or not before she heard her name spoken. While Aiya had expected Mihawk to greet her, she had almost thought there may be a few more seconds to spare. Ah well. This would have happened at any rate. All it meant was he truly lived up to his nickname and had very keen senses. Her own, however, were relatively good despite not being quite like his. But she could keep up with anyone who relied on speed.

"That would be correct. Down to business, yes? About time. It gets very irritating when people don't understand I don't approach them for good reasons."

It would have been easy to just charge Mihawk. But that .. would have been stupid. He was as ready as herself, it could be seen in his eyes and the way his own hand was resting upon the hilt of his own blade. Crimson orbs stared back into the golden ones as she slowly withdrew Kazekami from it's sheath.

The range is limited. But .. if push comes to shove, you can use it soon enough.

She began to slowly advance, though not as far as Dracule would have expected. After three steps, she halted, knowing she was in range to use the air blade from the Ax dial. The main problem, she knew, was she would have to make it count. And not just because Mihawk had good reflexes. The usual way to 'recharge' it was to hold it up in the sky and let a breeze go over the blade.

But alas, she was inside the castle, not out. That being said, there wouldn't be any ability to recharge it. She'd get one shot with the range attack. After that, it would be a strict melee fight.

"I'll admit," she finally added, "that I don't usually wait for people. But given your ... reputation, it'd be a waste. Get up and get your own blade out. It'd be an insult to initiate this fight with you still sitting down."

Mihawk's eyes narrowed -- almost imperceptibly so- as Aiya entered the throne room of this lost kingdom. Perhaps this island was cursed... but if so, Mihawk had made his home there for some years. Perhaps like the cursed blades, the fortitude of the one who made use of it was so incredible that even the dying curses of a vast kingdom could hardly hope to make its mark. Mihawk was regarded universally as the strongest swordsman in the world for a very good reason, after all. Much had been made of how he had once fought one of the four Yonkou regularly. And the astute, perhaps, had noticed that he was the only soul to escape the Whitebeard War without even the smallest bruise.

""It is already an insult that you think this will be a... fight," Mihawk said as he slowly rose to his full height of 6'6", a tall man who rippled with muscle, lean and strong. He was neither the tallest nor the strongest-looking man in this world, but those who thought less of him for it had left a bloody swathe across the world's obituaries.

His coat billowed around him as he slowly dragged the point of his blade from the stone, whipping the 7' blade around as if it were not just an extension of his body, an artificial construction he had learned the ways of... but as if it were as much Dracule Mihawk as his own flesh, his own blood. Yoru glimmered, faint light reflecting off the side of the sword.

"At least your head shall placate the World Government," Mihawk said, pointing the tip of his blade at her. His eyes narrowed...

... and then he was gone.

His speed was truly unreal, making even the masters of Soru look like they were standing still as he reappeared at Aiya's side, the blade a black blur, air pressure pushing down on her from all sides as the sheer enormity of his strength and sword prowess was transmitted through Yoru, green flames bursting along the blade as he swung down straight at her. Perhaps it was a miss only to see how skilled she was, a testing probe of Aiya's abilities. But perhaps he meant to rend her in two on the spot.

At first, Aiya had felt insulted upon hearing Mihawk's reply. She damn well nearly retorted to the words, in fact. But she kept herself calm and, if anything, decided to use that to her advantage. He hadn't been the first man to say similar things to her like this. Although none of them were dead, she had gone against each of the three Admirals at least once. And all, in their own form and fashion, had said something very akin to what Dracule had. The result to each had been, technically, a draw. Yet, Touzoku had been able to greatly assist her against each one, and the ability to have sealed their own powers briefly away plus Aiya escaping them had made her bounty that much higher in amount.

Her eyes continued to stay upon the golden hues, never once leaving them. At least, not until he vanished, which honestly scared Aiya a bit. She knew she hadn't blinked. So he was that fast, it seemed.

Behind? she wondered, trying to guess on where he would appear. It was the most common place and she wouldn't have put it past Dracule to try to strike her from there. That being said, it astounded her even more to see his figure appear beside her own.

Deftly raising Kazekami, the two blades were now making their own cross-like shape whilst in the air, each being restrained only by their respective owners. Aiya could feel she was definitely beaten in physical strength as her own blade continued to keep her protected. But it was definitely a struggle, a damn good one that she could detect.

May as well be now or never ...

And without any warning, not even murmuring an activation word, the blade from the dial shot forward, right towards Mihawk's golden orbs.

"I do not intend to die so easily. Especially not for scum like the World Government." she finally replied, maintaining a calm exterior despite actually being nervous for the first time in ... months as far as Aiya could remember.

Mihawk's hands were steady upon Yoru, his arms still -- there was no obvious effort placed into the slash... but for all that, his muscles were tense, indeed exerting effort to keep their blades locked together. His stare was blank and almost... curious as the two of them locked blades and eyes both. However, as Aiya might have expected, Mihawk was indeed a practitioner of the force known as "Haki". His blade shifted as she attacked him head-on, wrenching their swords together and blocking the Dial with the side of the blade. It was enough to tip the scales in that instant, Mihawk jumping back, powerful and graceful, to land some feet away in the throne room.

"Ah. Hatred," Mihawk said as he deftly raised Yoru. "A poor reason to cross swords with me. A poorer reason to attack the Admirals of the Marines." It was clear that he was familiar with her exploits -- but yet, for someone who had fought the Admirals, Mihawk did not seem to show any fear toward her. "I am curious -- what is your plan? You can not take my power as you took theirs. And you can not be so blinded by your hatred that you can not sense the gulf that stands between us," Mihawk said.

And then he was gone again.

But he did not appear at her side, or behind her, or even in front of her. No, he was moving around her, his steps so fast as to be a blur -- and with every errant flick of his sword, green beams of light were erupting from his blade, Yoru. What it took the Ax Dial for her to do, he seemed to be capable of all on his own, blades of compressed air coming at her from all angles, a storm of energy and her at the very eye of it. And all the while, she would be able to hear him over the cavalcade of blades.

"What happened? What did the Marines do to you to drive you to attack them? To attack members of the Shichibukai? To make you so desperate to throw your life away?"

An annoyed frown crossed Aiya's face as Mihawk easily avoided the air blade. True, it should have been something to expect. But air was still just that. It was one of the things typically harder to see coming. You could feel it, sure. But by the time it mattered, it was usually too late. Perhaps this was part of what Saku had tried to warn her about.

Likely ... she admitted, keeping the confession only to herself. She'd never do so aloud, of course. Aiya had far too much pride, another thing Saku had warned her about. And while she knew about the old saying suggesting pride could kill a man, she wasn't a man. She had tried to use that alone to her advantage. It had worked in the past. Now, however, she could feel herself clinging onto much more than her life. Now her pride - maybe soul even - was all at stake. And she was doing any and everything in her power to keep everything she had left!

If this were any other man, Aiya would question how Dracule knew of her deeds. But no. He was part of the World Government by being a Shichibukai. There was no point in questioning how he knew this. However, when it came to why he was wanting to know these answers, now there was something that got her attention. No one else had cared before nor had ever wanted to know her motives for why she did anything, especially hunt down anyone affiliated with the Marines or Government.

Much like Dracule didn't fear Aiya, the same gesture was returned. She was a bit anxious and slowly losing her patience, making her more irritable at worst. But there was otherwise no genuine sense of fear.

"Touzoku wouldn't have worked against you anyways. You're not a fruit user. It works best against those types of people. The plan .. is definitely not your concern. Tch, no. If I were too blinded, you would have taken my life already. No. I still have quite a bit of self-control over myself, thanks."

Now he seemed to return the favor with hurling his own air blades towards her. The lack of space made it difficult to dodge all of them. Some, however, were able to miss and fly by her. Others, on the other hand, began to rip at her skin and clothes.

His next inquiries were by far the most intriguing and yet infuriating ones. It almost sounded as if ... he was trying to suggest he gave a damn?

Impossible! He's one of them! No one's given a genuine damn about you!

She would have counted Saku but even Aiya could see that wasn't completely true. She was his executor, his weapon, his tool to use; little more, if anything. But Aiya had never minded because in the midst of taking up that role, he gave her access to what she wanted and needed; the ability to seek out any and all high-ranking Marines and Government officials and kill as many as possible.

"I have not yet tossed my life away," she replied, a low growl leaving at the end of the sentence as venom and ice mingled into her voice. "Moreover, why do you care? The reason ... is long gone, forgotten about by all including those responsible!"

All the while, more small cuts continued to land on her flesh or against her clothes.

Idiot! Do something!

But if she jumped away while he did this ... would it truly be wise? Not likely. But it'd be stupider for Aiya to just stand there and practically hand this match over to him.

A frustrated "Urgh!" would be the next thing as Aiya swung her sword out towards Mihawk. This one, however, was actually not intended to hit him. It was but a distraction and way to gain distance. He would just need to back away long enough for it to work. Once Aiya got what she wanted, she jumped back herself, panting softly but swiftly. Even with the adrenaline rush going on, she could still feel the stinging within her body along with some crimson liquid falling slowly down her body.

It was at least nowhere vital, like an organ or near the jugular. But it still hurt, especially anywhere that had gotten her arms or shoulders. Yet that same agony seemed to make her more focused and determined to prove she was anything but a fluke.

"No. You do not," Mihawk said, his tone as cold and as cutting as the blade he wielded. Through the storm of green light, his slashes no mere air, he was all but invisible to her. The blades came as much from above as they did from the sides, hinting at just how fast Mihawk was actually going. But in all of that, his voice was level and calm. "You are not here because you chose to be here. You are here because you feel obligated," Mihawk said.

"Were it not for what has happened to you, you would not be here. You do not control yourself in the slightest -- your past, your hatred, you are a slave to it," Mihawk said, solidifying through the storm of light, his blade nearly level with the ground. He was not tired -- his breath was even, his eyes narrowed at her as he began to walk slowly toward her. When her strike came, Mihawk's gaze flitted along her sword, gauged its length and the way she swung it, and smartl stepped to the side, coming within arm's reach of her before he moved again.

Yoru stabbed down into the ground, cracking through the stone as he stepped smartly into her personal space just as she was leaping back. One hand went for her neck, the other for the wrist of her sword arm, powerful limbs not straining in the least as he heaved her off of the ground.

He was powerful and unrelenting, too tall for her to get a proper kick at his groin from this distance, and his body, rippling with muscles, resisting anything short of the steel kiss of a blade.

"Forgotten about?" he asked. "You have not forgotten. It drives you. Unless you would do it dishonor and abandon the thing you fight for, the thing you live for, then tell me," Mihawk said, wheeling around to smash her back down against the floor of the throne room, his golden eyes staring past her face, past her eyes, all the way into her soul. "What. Did. They. Do."

It was rare for Aiya to listen to every word any opponent she had faced before spoke. But what was no doubt something that happened less often was finding no verbal retort. Alas though, here Aiya was - in Dracule's mansion, fighting said man - and yet ... she literally had nothing to immediately say. If anything, she thought on his words, as if pondering whether they may be true or not. Would she be here even if the firing squad had never arrived to Freeport? Maybe. But he had a very valid point; the chance was definitely not as likely. If Aiya were here even without her home and everyone she knew being massacred, there would be a good chance the motive would be something along the lines of her being purely insane or at least seeking out some sort of death wish.

Don't be fucking stupid! It's ... not ....

Even though Aiya was deflecting some of the blades or blocking them, it wasn't nearly as graceful as normal. That alone all but spelled out how deep in thought the words had seemed to strike her, almost more harshly than Yoru itself.

Why the fuck is it mattering now?! You had no qualms with this lifestyle since you started! That's how you had no issues killing Crocodile or any other Marine, Government official, fuck even pirates - Supernovas or not - that intervened! So why? Why now?!

Her temper flared and Aiya could feel her concentration failing. Suddenly, the outcome of this fight didn't matter. She had to leave. This was by far the worst possible shape she'd been in against any opponent. There was no way she'd win.

Her ankles never got to tense up and help her with running away though. Soon, Dracule closed the gap between them and found her throat.

Survival instincts were the first thing to kick in as her left hand went around the hand holding on, trying to at least keep a few fingers in between his flesh and hers and allow some oxygen to still flow to her lungs. Her right, in the meantime, struggled with his other arm as she tried to move it and slash at somewhere, anywhere. Even the chest would work; any location that would make him let go would honestly.

"Baka," she managed to growl. "I never said I forgot. I said those responsible did. Why .. ngh ... does this matter to you so badly? Why the fuck ... do you ... care?!"

With her throat and sword arm being firmly held, it was simple for Mihawk to place Aiya on the floor. He could feel her pulse quickening a bit while still gripping her wrist and arm and even somewhat through her neck.

It hadn't been until he gazed right into her eyes that the nervousness Aiya had been feeling even tried to turn into actual, full-fledged fear. The stare made her almost pull her left hand away from her neck and try to conceal - if not maintain - her soul. It didn't move, although her head did as best as it could as she tried to look away from the golden orbs.

"Does .. it even matter? Even if I said the answer ... everything still has happened in the past. It's ... not like it can be changed. And really, why do you give a damn about wanting to know so much?"

"You said it did not matter! That it had been forgotten about by all," he said. He knew he had her flustered, off-balance in more ways than one, and that his words were striking as sure as his blade had previously. No, surer -- his words were hitting home entirely, the girl better at deflecting projectiles with her blade than she was at deflecting his words with her spirit.

With her pinned against the ground, Mihawk was merciless, twisting her right wrist in the same moment that he raised it and smashed it back down against the ground, thumb digging into her wrist and applying a pressure that would have been painful even without his great strength. With it, and his pin-point accuracy? It could be excruciating.

"It matters," Mihawk said, his tone flat. "It matters because it steeled your will and brought you here to face me. It brought you before the Admirals, before other notorious pirates, caused the Marines to fear you. So much that even I know your name," Mihawk said. "And for all of that, I would be well within my rights to kill you. To strangle the life from your body, remove your head, and deliver it to the Fleet Admiral." It was almost an insult, a swordsman to kill her without the use of his sword. But perhaps that was the point.

"Now, swordswoman Aiya. What controls your spirit so?" Mihawk asked. Though all of that, his voice had not wavered even a bit -- it was not monotone, but rather deep and almost curious. But his insistence spoke of the passion that welled in his soul every time he clashed with another strong soul, however unrefined.

Screaming was one of those other things few people if any got Aiya to do. But the pressure and pain from the simple yet powerful push made her do just that, and though she didn't want to, let go of Kazekami. Her body squirmed against his as she raised her knees up, no longer caring where they landed. Just as long as it hit somewhere, anywhere. It was becoming more and more clear the best course of action truly was to leave, though the task of doing this was much easier said than done.

"Fucking hell, get off of me!" she hissed, panting and breathing quickly from her efforts. The mere suggestion of being killed then and there, however, made Aiya go quiet. She didn't need to inquire whether Mihawk was serious or not. Oh no, she knew he was. He had as much killing intent within him as Aiya could -- when her opponents didn't distract her, at least.

"Fine! Just ... don't."

Even if she deserved an execution, swift or otherwise, that didn't mean Aiya wanted it. It was stupid, selfish even. But if he would be willing to spare her to get an answer, albeit slightly stupid and redundant still in Aiya's mind and eyes, she'd talk. Where this would go ... hell if she knew. But he was practically demanding so .. fine. He'd get his request, for now.

Her head tilted back slightly as she took a long, deep breath. Crimson eyes slowly met the gold ones once more before she began to talk.

"Years ago ... the isle of Freeport used to have people, citizens living there. If you've ever been there or heard of it, you'll know it's empty now. I'm the lone survivor of the Marines setting up a firing squad there and getting rid of everyone; well, all but me, obviously. I don't know what for before you ask. As far as I can guess, it was out of pure bloodshed, some odd lust or desire ... " Her head moved slowly from side to side. "I really don't know. But I did overhear one of them comparing it to O'Hara, just with actual soldiers as opposed to the Buster Call. And, from what I've been able to gather and determine, without looking for anything. There. You fucking happy? That's it, I swear."

Mihawk was unrelenting before her blows. Perhaps they were simply not powerful enough, or perhaps it was the way he loomed over her, his presence dominating and his legs and arms positioned in such a way as to give her no leverage no matter how hard she tried. His eyes were staring down at her, into her, through her. He listened, speaking not a word until she had shared her story in its entirety. Then, and only then, did a faint smile curve itself across the lines of his lips.

"I have been there, yes. My journeys have taken me most everywhere," he said. Her story was not an uncommon one -- islands went dark all the time. Sometimes it was because of the Marines. Sometimes it was because of something much more sinister. It was the truth of this world, and it made it oh-so-dangerous for the people who chose to inhabit it.

"That is not a good reason for you to have come after me. I've nothing to do with Freeport. I am Shichibukai not for what I have done, but for what I represent -- I am the strongest. Burn it down for all I care," Mihawk said. But he didn't let her up. Instead, he seemed to be looking at her. Searching for something. "You are not strong enough to undertake your mission. You rely too much on that special sword of yours -- you've power, but you are unrefined. Perhaps you can even destroy the Marines. But not without stopping in your quest for a time. Improving yourself. You can leave this island when I deem you ready," Mihawk said.

Yes... she was strong. Perhaps she was just the one he was looking for. A pretty face, a lovely body, and an almost indomitable spirit.

Her eyes couldn't help but narrow as Mihawk hinted he'd been to her former home island. Had this been before the massacre? Or after? Unless she'd been far too young to recognize him when it was still full of life and people, she was otherwise almost certain he had never stepped foot on Freeport before. So she was relatively sure the answer was after. But regardless, it felt like an insult for someone like him to dare venture onto where she used to call home. And she began to elaborate, not caring if it was probably the worst time or situation for her to speak in such a cold-hearted manner.

"You still work for them! You still help them! You're as guilty as all of the others! You'd be amazed how strong association can be in this world. It's what ties all of us to our past, present and even future. The same holds true for myself, I will admit. No one is immune to association's bonds."

Except maybe those who are dead and thus no longer have one.

The more he continued to talk, the quicker everything was clicking together. She hadn't understood the direction he was going .. up until he finally ended his explanation with that one last sentence. For a while, she just stared up, both clueless and taken aback as the words repeated in her mind.

"You can leave this island when I deem you ready,"

Aiya couldn't help but snicker at his reply. "Heh. Good one. Just because ... "

And yet, her expression quickly changed to concern as she saw Mihawk's remain the same. He was .. serious? Then again, when had he started making any attempts to jest since they'd met? Never and it only reassured her he was that honest.

"W-wait a minute."

Her eyes closed as she repeated everything else Mihawk had said before trying to claim she wouldn't leave without his consent. Two and two began to add up before she looked into the golden hues above her.

"You're ... suggesting you wanna train me? Is that what I'm understanding? And what's the catch if so?"

There was no damned way he was just doing this out of kindness or even pity. No, he would want something. That much was easy to see in those mesmerizing yet intimidating eyes. The exact factor, however, was a different story and one she wanted to know first. She'd play along and cooperate with Mihawk for now. But Aiya would be damned if he'd try to keep her in the dark on the situation, let alone all the knowledge that came with it.

Back
Top Bottom