Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Shows Or Games You Feel Are Underrated

GamerXZ

Meteorite
We've all been there I'm sure. You sit down to watch a particular tv show or
play a certain video game, not expecting too much from it...but then in the midst
of your watching and/or playing something just...clicks is the best way to put it.

Suddenly, you are hooked. You can't quite explain it at the time but there's just
something about this that you feel you can't stop, and you wonder to yourself...why
exactly is this not getting the attention or respect it deserves? Was it something of
a sleeper hit? Wasn't marketed well? Or was it not "main-stream" enough for the major populace?

So that's what I'm here to ask you, what games or shows do you feel are underrated or don't get the respect you feel it should?

An example for me would be a not well known game called NIER. Yes, it was not the next Legend of Zelda, or Mario, or Call Of Duty, or Battlefield. It didn't have steller graphics or anything truly revolutionary....but what it did have was a deep, compelling story that I wanted to follow through to the very end, and characters that I genuinely cared for and wanted to see things turn out alright for them...even as their whole world crumbled around them...

I won't spoil much because the twists are something you need to experience for yourself. The gameplay too is nothing spectacular, but it's fast-paced and quite fun when you get the hang of it, with some truly memorable boss battles thrown in that I also won't spoil...I will say this much...you NEED to play through New Game Plus because it paints the game in an entirely different light...what do I mean? You'll find out if you play...

I'm going to get a little retro and throw out Secret of Evermore from 1995. It came out around the same time as the unrelated Secret of Mana, but it was of North American make with a sci-fi theme instead of fantasy, some geeky dialogue, and slightly more complicated combat mechanics.

It has a small following of its own, but by far it's Secret of Mana that receives more praise to this day. I remember being horrified when I replayed Mana a few years ago and realized that my childhood self had been into the bare bones dialogue and characterization.

Having said that, I'd better seek shelter...

May I add the Game Boy Advance game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis to the list? (If memory serves, it came out at the same time as the much more popular Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.) The overall story wasn't revolutionary: You head to an island with your best friend/commander Rictor under the auspices of quashing some minor rebellion, and of course that's far from the full story, what with vengeful lords, mermaids, divine spears and an embittered archangel behind it all. But the characters were interesting and had compelling motivations, and you honestly cared about them. And the classes were fairly well-rounded. (Not to mention that if you obtain the A+ Secret Ending, you learn this whole game serves as the backstory for one of TO's most well-known knights...)

Back before MK got rebooted I remember this PS2 game called Shaolin Monks. It was this... 3D Streets of Rage type game, laden with gore and environmental weapons/interaction, and it was always so much fun to plow through the groups of enemies. Plus you could play as Scorpion and Sub-Zero for the story mode, and that was awesome too.

I had an N64 for the longest time before I found it wasn't being used often enough, so I passed it on to someone who would play with it as much as it deserved. On the N64 I had a game called Aidyn Chronicles. It was an RPG similar to Final Fantasy style with fighting. Totally cool graphics for that day, and great storyline. I don't think I've ever known anyone irl who has ever played that game. I miss it. Heh.

The entire Armored Core series of games have been far too underrated for their entire history. I love those games and I am very sad to see that we still have not had one announced for the PS4 or XBox One. I hope that they did not dump the franchise. :(

There was a game on the Gamecube called Kirby's Air Ride. Not many people that I have ever talked to about it have ever heard of it, but it was one of my group of friends' go-to party games. it was so fun, from the racing aspects of the game to the free-roam city battleground style play. If you have never played it, and somehow are fortunate enough to get the chance, do not let it slip away. You won't regret playing it.

There's two things that come to mind for me. The game Hearts of Iron III and the movie D.E.B.s. Both are, by any objective standards, terrible, but I love them so much.

For Hearts of Iron III, it's a World War II simulation game. I'm a huge WW2 nerd, so I thought it would be cool to put a few hours in. It's buggy, and some of the mechanics still don't work five years after release, but I love that game to death. I've logged over 1750 hours (I think) on Steam playing it, and that doesn't even include offline time, which was frequent for about a year.

And D.E.B's well ... it's a terrible movie that I can't recommend to anyone who enjoys movies, but for some reason the love story between the two main characters resonated so strongly with me that, to this day, it's one of my favourite movies of all time. But, except for you lovely folks, I'd never tell a living soul that.

Breath of Fire Series is a decent RPG. Star Ocean: The Second Story seemed to be one too. I did not know that RPG series existed til I saw that one. Big fan ever since. Yjey are both hard to find role play partners for the canon Females too. I've seen only one BoF 2 Princess Nina role player who was on F-List. Star Ocean wise, seen a Celine Jules on there too.

Danganronpa. Probably not underrated but where I come from, nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about when I gush over it.

Back
Top Bottom