Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bonded Pair [RA & Moonlighthunter]

RandomAttributes

Planetoid
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/057/9/4/black_dragon_by_mavrosh-d5wawhz.jpg

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/188/7/0/black_dragon_tempest_by_peterprime-d7pom10.png

There was a large hullabaloo going on, but Rai'Laith wasn't exactly amused by it. He snorted, a dark plume of smoke rising from his nostrils that made the nearby guards shift nervously. If they were going to make it a parade, there should at least have been some food - several cows, mead, a flock of chicken. Maybe then he would have been more interested.

The large dragon was lying in the throne room, complete still save for his blood red eyes that flicked around to follow the scurrying servants. As the Lord kept mentioning, "Today was the Day" - the day they would help him find his partner, his link. But the Lord, Rai'laith confirmed quietly, was an idiot. He hated how the man never addressed him directly, but rather spoke as if he was as stupid as his dogs - not, of course, that Rai'laith would degrade himself by mentally linking with that kind of a man. But nonetheless, it rubbed his scales the wrong way, which was why he remained stubbornly passive, even as the double doors were flung wide open to begin the ceremony.

By now, Rai'laith was larger than a horse, and still growing rapidly. His black scales glittered darkly in the light, ranging from pitch place on the largest parts of his body, to a soft grey at the webbing of his wings. They were safely tucked against his side, tail flicking occasionally behind him and scrapping against the stone floor. His talons, meticulously clean, were still against the floor despite his growing irritation. Human after elf after dwarf - they all felt dull to him, even as they stepped up to him, eyes wide with shock at the sight of a live dragon. They were all the same. The irritation became impatience, and Rai'laith had to close his eyes before he started expelling smoke again.

Dragons were to have more lavish, bold lives than pitiful parades like this. Mentally, he considered leaving the fort he had been protected in since he had been hatched. How they got his egg he never knew, but he DID know that he was supposed to do more than this. More than just lazing like a fat, sleepy dog at the side of a Lord.

Thia shifted on her feet as the line finally started to move. All that she had been told was that the dragon the Lord of the fort had was to find his partner today. She'd been encouraged by her parents to go, and as such the young elf made the trek from the forests to the fort.

Her first glimpse of black scales caused her lavender eyes to widen in surprise and awe. Still, there was another feeling that grew as she moved closer, skirts of her dress flowed at her bare feet. The young elf preferred to have the close contact of the earth rather than the sandals or boots of others. Thia slowed down once she was before the dragon, the people behind her annoyed and assuming that she was simply trying to get a longer look at the beast. "Hello" Soft, her voice melodic in a way, showing her curiosity as well as the respect she felt for the dragon. "Do you feel what I do, Darkscales?" The name was said in her own language, the elven term for a darker scaled dragon but was far more respectful than calling him a simple dragon.

It was soft, and gradual. It started as a mere point of relief from the irritation in his mind, to a sensation that was slowly swelling. And by instinct, he reacted - his eyes opened, scanning through the line. He knew by the aura that it was an elf - no human could exude that kind of magic potential and longevity with their mortal bodies - and where the men gave of rough, sturdy impressions this one was fluid and flexible. Finally his eyes met a young female elf who was making her way to the front of the line.

Rai'laith lifted his head, attentive even as he ignored the guards who shifted in mild alarm. Do you feel what I do, Darkscales? In his other form, he would have grinned - in this one he merely hummed, the sound low as it reverberated in his chest. He had never spoken with an elf before, but her elven language was one that cross many boundaries; and the magic in his blood made the sentiment perfectly clear.

By now the hall had lurched to a stop, even the lord watching with a nervous intensity as Rai'laith craned his neck closer. He finally did something he had not done before: reaching out with his mind, the dragon brushed his consciousness against the girl's, invading only enough to form a tendril to communicate through. The process was harmless, and his eyes blinked as he felt her unique consciousness: and somehow the connection felt right.

I do, Maiden. His thoughts were projected only to her, voice low and masculine as he examined her. Tell me, what do you go by?

The shifting and hum of the other brought a smile that touched the elf's lips. A feeling entered her mind, surprise flitting across her expression before settling again. It felt right, feeling the wilder, almost older feeling consciousness of the dragon. Her magic seemed to agree with the connection, eyes closing in thought.

Thia. May I ask the same? It was also more polite to answer in kind, taking a hesitant step closer. Something urged her to rest her hand against him, a mix of wishing to feel just what his scales felt like, and impulse. Her dress was simple, hinting at her small bust, and accented her narrow waist. It wasn't as highly decorated as some, only having a simple belt and delicate embroidery along the hem.

"May I?" Her steps took her within a safe distance, but one that if she reached out she could touch the side of his head. Asking first was just being polite, even if it was in her native tongue.

"Child!" The Lord spoke sharply, standing up from his throne as others gasped quietly. Not only had the young elf the nerve to break the line, but she was addressing the dragon directly. With not one else able to listen in on their conversation, it looked as if she was going against the custom.

At the sharp voice Rai'laith's head whipped around, red eyes glaring at the man who looked ready to set his guards onto the girl. Instead of mentally reaching out - which might have been easier - he instead opened his jaws to bear his fangs, forked tongue lashing in distaste. His reward was watching the man blanch and freeze in his spot, mouth dropped open in shock and fear.

Rai'laith snorted in satisfaction before turning his head back around to look at Thia. I've been wanting to do that since I was hatched. Now that everyone had quieted, he could focus on the elf. There was no doubt in his mind, even as the girl asked a question. Knowing what she sought, he dropped his head even lower until his eyes were even with hers. He gave a mental nod, amused but happy. Well met, Thia, I go by Rai'laith. The girl was beautiful, respectful, and had an aura that spoke to potential. Even though the method of choosing went beyond his own understanding, Rai'laith couldn't help be a little bit smug. Of course he would choose a beautiful maiden for his Rider. His scales rustled as he shifted, and the dragon added, Be proud - and do not let anyone doubt that you are my Rider.[/i]

Thia glanced to the Lord for a moment before having to hide a small smile of amusement. That wasn't very nice, Rai'laith. Her amusement was clear though, a hand moving to rest against the side of his head. There was a feeling of warmth, something that just felt right about the gesture. "Well met, I am honored to be your chosen, Rai'laith." The last part was said in the common tongue of the land, lavender eyes trailing to the Lord once more.

There was a murmur through the gathered, disbelief that a young elf was the one chosen to be the Rider. Thia kept her head up, firm though alert of what was around her. It would be a far different life than what she grew up with, but the thought of it just seemed to suit her. She was one to travel, not linger about in one place for too long.

Back
Top Bottom