Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

True Justice (WolfxHHCandy)

Wolf

Super-Earth
images

Annie's brow furrowed as she laid back on her large, round, fireproof bed. The fluffy pink comforter and pillows which surrounded her nearly hid her from view to one who scanned the room quickly. Like almost everything in her room, she was pink and red. Rosy cheeks betrayed her youth, although as a bright girl of nearly 17, she would certainly rebel against this description. Her head sprouted shimmering, deep red locks which fanned out around her head as she reclined. As for her room, it was actually fairly impressive that her handlers were able to find that many pieces of furniture and decor items in her favorite, hibiscus pink. Of course, it wasn't that surprising, given that she was a member of The Guard. She was special, and she was treated specially.

Aside from the striking hegemonic femininity of her room, the other, perhaps even more noticeable feature of her personal abode was the intense heat that was pumped in through the vents 24/7. It was the temperature of a sunny day whenever weather control was under maintenance. When the room was kept this hot, she didn't have to exert too much effort to make sure her body temperature remained at its normal 40 centigrade (104 Fahrenheit).

When she had been made, a negative side effect of her impressive ability to manipulate heat and flames had been her body's poor thermoregulation and need to remain at a higher temperature to function optimally. She'd learned to use her power to warm herself at a young age, although she had a few very fuzzy memories of being remarkably, suffocatingly cold. They were some of her least pleasant memories. In her room, her powers were almost unnecessary to keep her body temperature high. In addition to a high baseline, her body was also capable of withstanding much higher temperatures before her cells began to die and her proteins began to unfold.

She sighed and sat up, looking around her vast, two-story "room". There was simply nothing to do today. There hadn't been a Phantom in weeks and all they'd been doing was classes and mission training. When she had joined The Guard some 8 years ago she'd only just gotten full control over her powers, so she would train with an older Mutant to learn to master and expand her abilities. Now that she'd hit a bit of a plateau, and was generally considered to have full mastery over her power, she rarely got the chance to really enjoy using her powers. After all, the only fun she really got to have was when a Phantom showed up. Even then, she was generally pretty distracted with saving the city.

Annie decided to go down a few floors to one of the training environments that had been designed for her. The room was a replica of a frozen tundra, but the ice was super-chilled and it took an immense amount of energy to ensure that the room was kept cold enough that her powers wouldn't blow a hole in the wall or anything. She wondered what her partner was doing now...would he be willing to come and play with her? Probably not, he was so serious! Annie crossed her arms, frowning. Well, it couldn't hurt to ask...

"Computer, please find my partner if his location is not classified." she spoke aloud. A pleasant, electric female voice spoke out from the elevator she was stepping into. "Locating..."

Simon was a soldier and there were far too few of those in the guard for his taste. They had plenty of fighter, warrior and in general punks thugs and other malcontents who liked to hit things. But the guard was lacking in soldiers professional killers who could get things done. His partner was a contradiction to that. On one hand she was more flighty then any of the others. On the other she knew what she had to do and how to go about getting it done. Which did not prevent him from having to raise his voice on an hourly basis.

Simon was also a perfectionist he would practice summoning his Golem's for hours on end. This meant he spent far too much time on his own. He could not call them out of thin air he needed to construct them out of the environment. That meant on one hand he was the strongest and weakest member of the guard. His partner could summon fire out of the air and make it dance to her tune. His Golem's however seemed to have a mind separate from his own. He was working on that but the stronger he made them the more they fought back.

He was getting rusty it took him a full thirty seconds to summon a single soldier Golem. The creature looked like a skeletal toy with a massive pair of scissors fro one hand. The creature had a pot for a head and a pan for a mouth. It moved slowly trying to decide if it wanted to try and cut him in half. Weeks without an attack after a siege that left much of the city without power. The people were on edge but that edge was wearing thin. It was easy to fight an enemy in front of you, boredom was far more insidious.

The com line pinged him like sonar his partner must have asked about him. She should had known where he was but that would have required her keeping to her schedule. Well to be fair it was the schedule he had set for her. He pinged her back and found that she was headed for the training room and decided to meet her there. He let the Golem fall apart in a pile of trash. The Golem looked so small all scattered about. It took him only a few minutes to get from his location to the place his partner was waiting for him.

“Let me guess you have finally discovered you can not live without me and have come to confess you’re undying love” It was the normal ritual in which he would make a bad guess as to why she had sought him out. Among his favorites were, you wish to be come a pacifist and have come to trun me from the path of darkness. He smiled knowing she probably wanted to either talk about something or spar. He would be fine with either as without the Phantoms he had nothing to keep his mind and body occupied.

Your partner is currently located in the 4th floor south corridor. the soft female voice answered Annie. She was about to press the button to change the elevator's destination when the computer crackled back to life and informed her to stay her course to the training room. She smiled and let the elevator bring her down to the training level. The doors opened to reveal her stony-faced partner waiting for her. She raised her eyebrow at his greeting and brushed past him, skipping a little ways down the hall. "Ew, Simon." she grimaced. "Aren't you like...way old? That's so pervy" she teased. She did a few cartwheels down the hall and then leaned against the wall.

"I'm boooored." she explained. "I thought you would surely have something bossy to say." Annie didn't often obey orders or directives unless the severity of their origins were stressed. Even though she still ignored him half the time, Simon often had slightly better luck getting her to listen. She knew she could trust him. After all, she had to trust him when they went outside the perimeter. Beyond the walls of the city in the wild with phantoms and all manner of feral beasts, you needed someone to watch your back. So, even though he was very surly, she knew he cared and that he would protect her. Of course, sometimes he was the one who needed protecting, and she was there for that too.

She twirled a strand of her fiery red hair as she contemplated him. He had an impressive physique, made all the more impressive by the fact that she was the comparison. She was very flexible and acrobatic, but she hated strength training. Early on it had become clear that hand-to-hand combat was never going to be her strength. In battle she had two modes. One she called "hidey runny slither" and the other was "flash flash boom". Having grown up in such close harmony with her powers, they had become basically her only mode of offense, like a really hot extension of her body.

"Hey are you going to remember my birthday this year or am I going to have to wake you up with the birthday song again?" she asked, her mind obviously cycling through a million topics per second.

Simon watched the fiery girl twirl around like some kind of hyperactive bird on crack. Truth was he though more of her as some kid like a little sister. Because of the age difference he had no real sexual feelings for her. Then again he could not help but admire the way she kept in shape. It was more that she managed to be hard and soft in all the right places. Some women managed to bulk up or become like men in miniature. Not Ann she looked as a woman, or at least a girl should with all the curves and bumps.

“Then I don't suppose you want you're gift now” Simon waited for the human pinball to settle down. He could already here her begging for her gift like a child on the winter solstice. He turned away from her showing his back. He loved to tease her to draw things out, to play on his being 'old”. Well he was old compared to her but not that old. “The shop owner told me it is the latest model not due out for another month” From his sleeve he pulled out a crystal orb the size of a golf ball with a gold ring around the center emblazoned with rune like shapes.

Oracles of all sizes were pieces of technology that used the c- net (City wide Network) to send and receive signals. They had replaced all communication devices over a century ago. You could watch TV, listen to music, make calls, surf the Wire and a hundred other things. “He said this one has a voice lock, twelve channel pickup, twice the definition of” He sighed he was not a tech person, You could talk to twice as many people at the same time, it had better picture and only the owner could use it. It was the best or should be for what it cost.

She could not stop moving like a shark that would die if it stopped. It was like the way she fought all movements. Simon fought like a chest master waiting for his enemies to make the first mistake. “We have a mission lately maintenance workers have been vanishing from the sub-terrestriasl” He told her. No doubt they would have to explore the Sub-terrestrials. The bowls of the city where most traffic, plumbing electric and other vital services were placed. A city within a city the arteries that pumped the cities life blood.

[not to be picky, but it would be "your" instead of "you're", "hear" instead of "here" and "bowels" instead of "bowls". It just gets a little distracting to read if a lot of the words are out of place. Please try to be more careful. Also do you really mean ethernet, as in the phone-jack like cables which we currently use to connect to the internet?]

Annie whined when he teased her. "Whaaat, come on!" she sighed, wiggling her butt in place. "I was just being nice and reminding you in case" she grumbled, crossing her arms. She poked her head around his waist, then shoulders, then arms, trying to catch a glimpse of the gift he'd mentioned. Finally he let her see and she grinned, her eyes widening. "ooh" she sighed happily. In the 7 years they'd been paired up as partners Simon had essentially given up on trying to get her gifts that fit her sprightly, feminine tastes. One year he'd gotten her a very nice dress...intended for pregnant women. That was about as close as he was going to get, so like the tactician he was, he'd switched strategies and had lately been getting her gifts which made her life easier, or else more entertaining. This was such a gift.

"Thank you!" she exclaimed. She hopped on his back, squeezing him in thanks and kissing his stubbly cheek. She blushed a little and slid off him, making a face. "Ew, shave." she said, snatching the orb from from him and starting to program her voice commands into it. It took her a minute to actually process that he'd said something else. "oh, huh what?" she furrowed her brow. "No come on that's military police stuff. We're supposed to kick Phantom butt!" she said. Phantoms, as a rule, never appeared inside the city walls. That was the whole point of the city walls and the whole mission of the guard. Plus, if there was a Phantom down there, they would know it. "Do we haaaave to?" she asked, although she had to admit that in the midst of their extremely slow month, some kind of action did sound rather fun.

He shook his head it was true there primary duty was to attack Phantoms. But threats came from within as often as they came from without. He was hearing rumors of a doomsday cult. The idea of people siding with phantoms was as close to insanity as he could imagine. No matter how strong a fort was it was only as strong as the people who manned it. If the center did not hold then no castle could stand. How much should he tell her about his plans if he could not trust her then who could he trust. He would have to think about it some more before he spoke.

He had enough trouble trying to keep his young partner in check as it was. This was because he barely knew how the women his own age thought much less a teenager. Guys were easy to shop for if you listened they would almost outright tell you what they wanted. With women you had Read between the line to figure out what they were thinking or feeling. “Unless you would rather drill for ten hours, I thought you would like a change of pace” He smiled there were some things about her that he could rely on. Chiefly was her displays of utter disgust at almost everything about his person.

Simon afforded them an hour to get to the Sub-terrestrials they got there in half that time. At times he was sure Annie would flip over. But somehow she got them there without violating to many of the traffic laws. At least she avoided areas damaged by a recent series of highly localized micro quakes. “Next time I am going to wait to eat until after you drive” Simon held his stomach as he made his way to the entrance to the Sub-terrestrials. Drawing a diagram on the ground he tossed in a pile of parts and formed a golem. "By the way how much do you know about the opposition"

hothardcandy said:
(According to ancient and medieval science, aether (Greek αἰθήρ aithēr[1]), also spelled æther or ether, also called quintessence, is the material that fills the region of the universe above the terrestrial sphere.
Not
Ethernet /ˈiːθərnɛt/ is a family of computer networking technologies for local area (LANs) and larger network) which it is most likely named for, sorry I love naming things even if I reuse the name of something that already exists, will fight the urge to make things up in the future, or abuse existing names.

He shook his head it was true there primary duty was to attack Phantoms. Also that the walls had been built to keep Phantoms out. But just as man invaders tried to undermined the walls of a fortress as tried to go over the walls. Still he was going stir crazy looking at the same four walls day in and day out. An excuse to get outside was well worth it in his mind. Besides the Sub-terrestrials were a place no one was eager to go. The underbelly of the city a law onto itself. There was no telling what the founders built the city over.

He also had the trouble of trying to keep his young partner in check He barely knew how the women his own age thought much less a teenager. Guys were easy to shop for if you listened they would almost outright tell you what they wanted. With women you had Read between the line to figure out what they were thinking or feeling. “Unless you would rather drill for ten hours, I thought you would like a change of pace” He smiled there were some things about her that he could rely on. Chiefly was her displays of utter disgust at almost everything about his person.

Simon afforded them an hour to get to the Sub-terrestrials they got there in half that time. At times he was sure Annie would flip over. But somehow she got them there without violating to many of the tragic laws. At least she avoided areas damaged by a recent series of highly localized micro quakes. “Next time I am going to wait to eat until after you drive” Simon held his stomach as he made his way to the entrance to the Sub-terrestrials. Drawing a diagram on the ground he tossed in a pile of parts and formed a golem.

(No worries. I know what both of those are, but unless you add a note, if you're talking about some sort of network system called by the same name as a modern day network system, I'm going to assume it's the same thing. If you want to add something to the universe, then just be clear in your writing, that's all. If we're to play together, clear and concise communication is good.

Secondly I need some clarification on your second sentence because I just can't make out what you're trying to say with it and I want to be sure before I reply. Also, do you mean "tragic" laws or "traffic" laws. If the former, what makes the laws tragic, or is this another aspect of the universe you wanted to add in?

Lastly, since you are taking the lead on this mission story arc, what are you planning? It's a pretty integral part of the background and story that no phantoms ever get into the city, given that the government spawns them outside the perimeter, so it would be best if the cause of the trouble was not a phantom. You also mentioned some slums in the city? The first line of the prompt for the RP was "In Center City, life is perfect. Nobody starves, nobody works, and most importantly, nobody gets sick." implying that it was a utopia of sorts, or at least that there wouldn't be a poor or "slum-like" portion of the city. Maybe if you explain where you were going with that it will make more sense in the context.)

Back
Top Bottom