Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What the hell is goig on? Part 3

Foxy Lady

Star
I leant forward and waited for him to explain.

‘Like I said, Dona, you’re making it way too complicated. The simplest explanation is usually right. A guy called Occam pointed that out in the fourteenth century.’

‘Who? When? What?’ I stammered. ‘Is this supposed to be making things simpler?’

‘Keep calm.’ Andy touched my arm and lingered there. ‘I’m just saying that this guy pointed out that the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.’

‘And in my case, that means what?’ I moved my arm; he had lingered long enough.

‘The simplest answer is that the bank issued you with the new cards. There’s no need for anyone to know how to fake the things and install all the data.’

‘But why,’ I protested, ‘would the bank do that?’

‘Because you asked them to. Well, OK, not you, but this other person. He – or she – let’s stick with he – he can copy your writing, we know that from the signatures on the new cards. So he just writes in with some supporting documentation saying here’s my new name, please change my account.’

I thought about what he’d said. It was the simplest explanation, sure, but hang on that still left questions.

‘But how did he know my bank other details? And how,’ I interrupted him as he open his mouth to answer, ‘did he get hold of the cards, which would be sent to my address?’

‘Obvious again. Apply that’s guy’s trick. The person knows your details and can intercept your mail. Simple as that.’

I stared back in shock.

‘Which,’ he continued, ‘narrows the list of suspects.’

I sank back into my chair.

‘What you’re saying is, this guy is one of my friends.’

‘So, come on,’ he encouraged me, ‘who are the most likely suspects with the info and the access.’

‘One ex-husband, a couple of lovers, one ex and one current, plus my cleaner. But why? And why attack me to substitute the cards?’

‘Right, yes, those are tricky questions and I’m not sure old Occam is going to help much with that, but I wish you luck.’ He touched my arm and lingered again. ‘But right now, I have to get back to work.’

And with that, he was picking up his briefcase and on his way.

‘Thanks,’ I called after him, ‘you’ve been a great help, really you have.’

He turned and raised his hand.

‘I’m often in here, so maybe you can update me next time we meet.’

TO BE CONTINUED

Back
Top Bottom