Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Crown Prince (DudeMeister and LaBellaMia)

Rhiannon looked at him as he poured himself a glass of wine and shook her head. "No...I haven't ever had wine so I'm bound to get drunk from the littlest bit..." She took a deep breath and moved toward him, slowly guiding him to sit. "You're as pale as snow. You shouldn't of been standing so much. I did say you needed rest. You'll put yourself in an early grave this way..." she chided though her voice was not quite so scolding as it had been. After blowing out a deep breath, she tugged off the shirt and cloak she had given him, looking at the bandages. The wounds were healing well and within a few days he'd be of a more powerful strength. As the servant returned with the herbs and a mortar and pestle, she gave her thanks and then they were alone again.

What could she say? She had been brought to this castle and now she was very much a prisoner. Either way she had gone would of hurt her somehow and people were bound to ask questions. At least she would have Winter. But then she thought of that man in the hall. He was a shady character to be sure and what if he managed to get Winter killed. Perhaps she should part ways with her pet tomorrow but the idea made her heart ache. At the same time, she didn't want the wolf she loved so dearly to be killed.

After grinding the herbs into a pulp, she knelt beside him and then looked up at him before looking down. "I should be angrier than I am at you..." she muttered softly then sighed. "So a prince hmm? Don't expect me to stop bossing you around. You'd kill yourself if you had your way. Moving about, trying to work when you're to weak still...You are certainly a stubborn man your highness," she said then sighed before dabbing the poultice onto his wounds. They were clean still but she didn't want to risk an infection. "Who was that bastard downstairs anyway? A friend of yours?" she asked sarcastically, standing up to treat the wound on his shoulder.

The prince barely got a sip in before she began to drag him away, pushing him into a stool. He ended up laughing ruefully despite himself. As she began to remove the shirt she had given him, he drank down the goblet of wine seemingly in one gulp.

"Bossy or not is not a problem. I find you quite adorable when you get all flustered. I know you mean well so I'll do my best to listen to you. Not that I'm likely to succeed. I'll probably be up and about to cause mischief by tomorrow" he said, letting her tend to his wounds.

"The insufferable bastard of whom you speak is Percival Warwick. His holdings include land that amounts to almost half the kingdom, and he has holdings in Rivia as well. Despite all his power he is nothing more than a slimy skulking bastard, yet time and time again my father says he is indispensable to the kingdom. I guarantee you that he is no friend of mine. Never did like the craven." he said, reaching over to the wine yet again to pour himself another glass.

Rhiannon paused, listening to him and watching as he poured himself more wine and then looked down to continue dabbing the herb mixture on his wounds. "I see..." she responded, blushing at the way he called her adorable. "I swear to God and country that I'll throttle you if you do more than take a few steps about the courtyard tomorrow. The last thing you need to be doing is overexerting yourself. You won't ever heal properly that way..." she chided and then set the mixture down. The clean dressings were of a linen that made her own homespun seem absolutely dreadful. After wrapping his wounds once more and pinning the dressings in place, she wiped her hands and then sank down across from him.

"He certainly didn't seem pleased that you were back at home...I do wish your father hadn't said anything about having Winter killed if she attacked anyone. Now I fear to bring her here for that man might well pretend he is assaulted by her. And I'm not sure that she would thrive so well here..." Her heart twisted a little but it was for the best if she let Winter go off and be on her own. "I had little choice in the matter. If I had not stayed, I would of raised more questions than if I had. Now I'm here...and...a courtier..." She snorted and then looked down, covering her face with her hands for a moment before bucking up. Dropping her hands, Rhiannon watched him with his wine. "Are you sure you should be drinking so much. Two glasses of wine seems an awful lot to be drinking," she observed.

"Well that will certainly disappoint my uncle. Though he hates to admit it, I'm sure he derives great pleasure in giving me welts and bruises from blunted tourney blades. I hope that I can recover before I am too out of practice. But than again I'd rather not incite your wrath." he replied, chucking softly at her threats. He didn't laugh to make it seem like he didn't value her council, but rather because he knew her threat to throttle him was but a comic boast. Downing the glass he went on;
"That bastard Percival is too power hungry to my liking. With all his landholdings and foreign contacts he could pose a great to our kingdom. Why father trusts him is beyond me. Or maybe it's because he distrusts the weasel that he keeps him so close." he concluded with a shrug.

He was reaching for the neck of the bottle when she cautioned him. He supposed he had enough, so he let go of the bottle upon corking it.

"I guess you're right...but what can we do now? As you see I am not in the condition to do anything...I might become bored" he said, resting his elbow on the table, his propping his chin up in his hand.

She sighed and then slowly reached for the wine pouring herself only a couple of sips. "Your father seems wise enough to follow the old adage keep your fronds close and enemies closer. A man with nearly as much power as himself would do better under a watchful eye," she murmured. She took a tentative taste then wrinkled her nose. Awful stuff. She set it back down and then closed her eyes. It could only be midday but it felt a lifetime since that morning.

"As to becoming bored, your father did hire me on as your nursemaid of sorts so you and I can do things together. Talk....since this is my new home...tomorrow afternoon you can show me around..." She said simply then heard a knock on the door. She turned and watched as a servant entered. "There is a tailor here to measure you Mistress," the woman spoke toward her and Rhiannon flushed before looking at Vincent. "Rest and eat tonight Your Highness. Be prepared for tomorrow afternoon," she smiled at him then stood up. "Good evening Your Highness..." She curtseyed and then walked away, leaving the room with the servant.

-----

The following afternoon, Rhiannon had made a trip to the village and found Winter. It had been very difficult letting her go but she had done it for the safety of the animal. Winter would be alright. There were other wolves in the forest and she was old enough to mate. She would be alright. Back at the palace, she was looked at like some strange being. Even dressed in the uncomfortable gown us he felt like a fish out of water.

Her hair was neatly pinned up off her neck in a stylish updo her maid had created. It was beautiful and there was a green ribbon around her neck to match the corset green and silver gown she wore, with all of it's voluminous skirts. Pretty as it was, she wasn't used to the corset.

Knocking, she entered Vincent's bedchamber, flushing as she looked down at her appearance, she glanced back at him. Never before had she been dressed in such finery. "I am ready for you to show me around..." She fidgeted, feeling unnatural in her new gown. "How is your shoulder this morning?" She asked him. "Or rather this afternoon..." She looked down nervously again, feeling quite a bit out of place even if she was looking rather beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom