Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Writer's Block (2AM_Club and Josu_T)

Veronica nodded sympathetically. "Technology is the wave of the future after all." She looked around. "I'm probably guilty of it too and when you add the internet...." She shook her head. "I guess things are just different. How people interact. Connect with each other. Even how they fall in love." She shrugged. "You should write a story about how a couple gets trapped inside of a phone or a text message or something," she joked with an awkward laugh. "Or falling in love with an electronic device that can't love you back."

Drew listened to Veronica's suggestions. He considered them for a moment and then shook his head and chuckled. Her laugh told him she was not completely serious about the ideas. "Those don't really fit with my style. You know my style of writing. Do you think I would be able to write a good story about an inanimate object or people sitting in front of a computer?"

"No, no, of course not. I wasn't being serious. I'm not sure anybody could write a good story about that stuff, but it can't hurt to make any suggestion at all. Even if it doesn't really make sense," she said with a smile. "Hmm what if you just expanded on something you've already written. Maybe write a prequel or a sequel?" She looked around, wondering if she could see something and point it out to give him inspiration.

Drew continued to watch people, but no inspiration striking him. At Veronica's suggestion of a prequel or sequel. He thought about his previous books and what he could do with it. There was some potential there. He looked back at her. "That is really possible. I'll have to think about it though. I also don't think I'll be able to just write it. I'll need some ideas for it, but at least I'll have things in mind to direct my search for inspiration. Let's go back to the hotel room and discuss my books. I want to hear your ideas on them and what I could do to write a sequel or prequel to one of them."

Veronica couldn't contain her smile. Finally she'd made a suggestion that seemed the most worthwhile. The most tangible to actually be completed and have some worth. "It's just a start," she said. "But that's all you really need, right? A beginning point. A place you can work from." She nodded eagerly, happy that she could be of real help now. "Yes, of course. I'll try and give you any ideas that come to me. Both good and bad," she finished with a chuckle.

Drew got up from where he was sitting and helped Veronica up with a smile and a nod. Once they were up he led her off the campus and back toward the hotel. He was lost in thought as he went. He continued considering all his previous work and all he might be able to do with it.

When they got back to the hotel and back to the room he sat and relaxed in the sitting room. He was happy that they had a room with the extra space and comfort. As he settled in he looked over at Veronica. He took his time to lay out his thoughts and ideas of what might be the best to write for a sequel or prequel to one of his previous books.

Veronica thanked Drew from his help in getting up. She felt a lot more comfortable with the surroundings now that they had walked around for a little bit. He had really grown up in a nice area; it definitely gave him a lot of great material for his work. Having worked with other writers for so long, she could tell that he was deep in the creative process when they went back. She hadn't seen Drew like that yet, so she was hoping that it was a good sign of things to come.

Veronica sat in a chair across from Drew, waiting to add in her input when he asked for it. She had her fingers crossed that they were finally on the right track.

Drew continued to discuss ideas with Veronica. It really seemed she did know a lot about his books. She was either one of his top fans or she had really done her homework. After quite a while he felt more confident in what to do. He still needed inspiration to do the actual writing though. He got a small book and write out the ideas and possibilities and then looked at them all. He realised that only one option could possibly gain inspiration from the small town they were in. He decided that the trip would be cut short and they would go elsewhere. He looked up at Veronica and told her. "I'm not going to get inspiration for these ideas here. We will go elsewhere. There are a number of options. We will discuss them in the morning, spend the day in town, and then leave the next morning. How does that sound to you? And yes, I do need to with me still, to keep me on track."

Veronica enjoyed Drew's books so much that it was easy to talk to him about it. She had never had such a perfect outlet for expressing her feelings about his writing. None of her other friends read Drew and the other people that she knew had read some of his books, didn't share her enthusiasm. It was a dream come true for her to talk with the man behind the words on the page. The fact that she had finally come up with an idea that worked and that she got to discuss the actual writing with Drew. She nodded in understanding that they would have to leave. It was nice to have visited his hometown. She'd had a nice trip and hoped that Drew had done the same. "That's fine with me, Drew. Whatever you need to do." She laughed softly. "Don't worry, I don't plan on going anywhere."

Drew smiled. He understood her comment, but chuckled a little. "No, that's wrong. You should be planning on going somewhere. I do. If you don't go anywhere you will still be here and will end up leaving me alone on my trip." He laughed some more and got up, going to the hotel phone. He looked back at Veronica. "What do you want to have in the way of food? I'm hungry, so I'm going to call for room service." He dialed the number as he asked her.

Veronica laughed at his correction. "Ok. Ok. I'm planning on going anywhere you go. Is that better?" she asked with a smile. She perked up at the thought of food. Doing so much sightseeing did have her hungry. She shrugged, feeling a little put on the spot. "Any kind of pasta would be fine," she said, not wanting to be too picky and bothersome.

Drew took note of what she wanted and waited for the room service people to answer. When they did he asked what kind of pasta they had. Then he ordered what sounded the nicest for her. He ordered his own food, a burger with a ceasar salad. He put the phone down after hearing that the food would be there in twenty minutes at the latest. He went back over to the couch and sat, relaxing. He looked over at Veronica and smiled. "So, you seem to know all about my life. Tell me more about your life."

She laughed, wondering if he was flattered or disturbed by how much she knew about his life. She shrugged, not knowing what to say. "Oh, well, ok. Let's see. I'm 23. Lived in Vista City my entire life. At first I thought I wanted to be a reporter so I have a degree in journalism." She laughed. "I guess it is doing me some good." She thought more about what she should tell Drew. "The first time I read one of your books I was 19. It was The Price of Paradise. I'd broken up with my first boyfriend and it was like that book was made for me. Everything I was feeling and going through. I mean, it was right there on the pages. It was beautiful and painful all at the same time." She shrugged. "After that I was hooked. Then three years ago I was at one of your book signings downtown and things were pretty crazy. The bookstore had double booked you and other S&A author. I don't know what made me do it but I asked somebody if they needed help. It was the agent for the other guy : Paul Sanderim. Apparently they were impressed enough with how I handled things and the job I did that they told their boss. I've been working at S&A ever since."

Drew was quite interested in hearing about Veronica's past. The start of her story was nice. She was young and intelligent. Then she spoke about the first time she had read one of his books. He was happy to hear it had been good for her to read it at that time. He was surprised though by how soon she had gotten into the buisness and how well she had done over three years. He did have one thing to ask though. He was curious to hear more. "Well surely your entire life has not been based around me and my books. What sort of things do you do in your free time and what did you do before you worked for the production company?"

Veronica tried not to blush. What she said had seemed like her entire life revolved around Drew and his books. She shrugged slightly not thinking she had anything interesting to relate to him. "I really like horseback riding," she offered, "but it is pretty hard to do while living in the city. And I'm usually too busy anyway." She paused to think. "Well, of course I love to read and I like being outside." She laughed. "Which again, isn't the best thing when you live in the middle of a city. Maybe one day I can move out to the suburbs or even the country or something. Get a cute little house or something." She smiled and considered the last part of his question. "Oh, well before I worked at S&A I was finishing up my degree. I was editor for the university's paper and I liked that well enough. I liked it more than being an actual reporting anyway. I didn't get paid for that though, so I spent some nights working as a bartender just to get some easy money." She shrugged again. "Normal, boring stuff I guess."

Drew continued to listen with interest. He wanted to learn about her since she seemed to know a lot about him. He took in all the information and got a better idea of who she was. He really liked hearing her dreams for the future. Also what she did before she worked for the production company. He smiled at her softly. "Not boring at all. It is all life experience. It may seem normal, but it is still interesting. Not everyone can go have unusual experiences, because then those experiences would not be unusual. We also need people to do the things that might seem normal and boring because if no one does it, then it does not happen and the benefits created by those things are not shared with the world."

As he finished what he was saying a knock came at the door. He got up and opened it, letting the hotel employee in to deliver their food. He smiled and thanked them, giving them a tip for their work. He sat back down with his burger and salad and looekd at Veronica, hoping she would enjoy the pasta dish he had picked for her.

She smiled back even though she wasn't entirely convinced that it wasn't all very boring. She shrugged again, "Yeah. I guess you're right. If somebody has to be boring and normal, I'm ok with that being me." She stopped talking when she heard the knock on the door. For a brief moment she thought it was his female fan that picked them up from the airport. She frowned at herself for thinking that, but managed to change it by the time Drew came back with the food.

She thanked him for the food and opened up her pasta. It was penne with pesto basil sauce. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, inhaling the smell. It wasn't until she smelled how good it was that she realized that she was hungry. She opened her eyes again and picked up her fork. "This smells and looks incredible. Thanks, Drew."

Drew smiled at Veronica as she thanked him for his choice of pasta. He was glad she liked it. He ate some of his salad first. It was quite good. The hotel made some delicious food. He looked back at Veronica and decided to comment on her last statement. "You know, I don't think you are normal and boring or that your life so far has been normal and boring. I find you to be quite interesting. Thank you for telling me about yourself."

Veronica ate more vigorously then she intended. It wasn't until the food arrived that she realized how hungry he had been. She licked some of the pesto off of her fork. "This is really good," she said with a grin, motioning down to her food. She tried not to blush at his statement. "Well thank you Drew, that means a lot. Thanks for listening. Kind of weird talking about myself. I'm so used to knowing all about other people.

Drew couldn't have held back a smile if he had tried. He was glad that veronica was happy. They'd had a shaky start, but things seemed to be going really well now. He bit into the burger and the smile grew. It was awesome. He put it down again and thought for a moment. "It really is nice learning about you. Now, where should we go next. I have a lot of options." He tossed the small book over to her to let her look at his list of possible places to go. It was a very wide variety. He didn't really have much of a preference.

Veronica looked up just in time to catch Drew's notebook. She put her fork down and instead picked up the piece of garlic bread while she looked over the page. He did have a lot of options. She chewed thoughtfully. "Whatever this coast one is." She looked up at him. "With water and all that. You write dock scenes and waves and sunsets really well." She shrugged and smiled. "As long as it is someplace warm." She handed him back his notebook. "I'm not sure it really matters where we go from here. I think we're just starting to put the pieces of something bigger together. We just gotta get somewhere and see where your ideas take us."

Drew ate as he waited for Veronica to make a decision on where they should go. When she gave her suggestion he smiled and nodded. He also liked her compliment. He took back the notebook and placed it aside. At her last comment he nodded again. "We will go to a small island off the west coast. We can interact with the people there, it will be warm, and there is the ability to see both sunsets and sunrises. We can set up the tickets tomorrow. What should we do tonight?"

It was hard to for Veronica to contain her excitement. Going to an island off of the coast sounded fantastic. She almost wished she actually was on a vacation and could spend some time relaxing at the beach. She was caught up in her daydream when she finally looked back at Drew. Helping him was worth it. She could always vacation another time. "Does this town have any kind of nightlife?" she asked. "I'd be interested in seeing how things are after dark." She smiled. "You know more about what there is to do than I am. I'm pretty much down for anything. I'm following you, remember?"

Drew thought for a minute about what night life the town had. Then he simply shrugged. "You know, that is the one thing I am not really sure about. I was too young to really know about the night life when I lived here. All the other times I've been here have been only short visits. I do something during the day and check out the town when I'm done. But they have only ever been one day trips with a flight out early the next morning. I have always gone to bed before the real night life begins. So I guess the best thing to do would be to just explore and see what we can find."

Veronica smiled. It would be nice to explore the town with Drew especially since he would be checking out the town for the first time. It made sense that he didn't know that much about the nightlife. He grew up there as a child and as an adult was probably too busy on his visits to just go out. Veronica hadn't been out in a while and although she didn't think the nightlife there would compare to the city's, she was still excited. "That sounds great," she said, nodding. "I'm sure we'll have a great time even if we're just looking around."

Back
Top Bottom