Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Writer's Block (2AM_Club and Josu_T)

Josu_T

Supernova
Drew Milner had eight successive best selling books. His name was known everywhere as one of the top romance novelists around. Over the years he had made a lot of books and a lot of money. Every bookstore in the world contained at least one of his novels. He usually produced a new novel on an average of every six months. He was very good at what he did. There was a problem though. He had not produced a novel in over a year and a half. There were a few manuscripts he had written, but none were very good at all. He had cancelled their production himself because he was not happy with them. Drew had a serious case of writer's block.

Drew needed to write a book. He knew that. He didn't need it for the money. He didn't even need it for his contract. He didn't care about those things. He needed it for his fans, but most importantly for himself. He wasn't happy that he wasn't having any good ideas recently. He had tried a lot to get over it, but he just didn't come up with anything. He needed help but was not willing to admit it. He wanted to do it on his own. He wanted to prove to himself that he was as good as ever. He didn't want to admit defeat. If he did, he might not end up writing anything ever again. To him that was unacceptable.

Veronica Fortune had worked for the production company: Satellite & Ames for three years in their literature department. She'd started by managing their lowest clients; it wasn't hard work, but incredibly rewarding when one of her writer's works would finish. She loved holding the first printed copy in her hand. In fact, she had a shelf at home commemorating the published works she was actually involved in. She'd had a few promotions and was handling more important clients, one of whom made the bottom of the New York Times Bestsellers list. Things were going great for her and S&A except for one thing: Drew Milner.

Veronica was a fan of Drew. She wouldn't call herself one of the "Milner Minions" as his other more emphatic fans had nicknamed themselves, but she had read each of his 8 novels at least twice. She'd pre-ordered every book and read them start through. She loved his writing; she never knew what to expect. Drew was a client of S&A which had a lot to do with Veronica wanting the job there. The company had been in love with Drew with the success of his books, but since he hadn't written anything in almost two years, the company was getting anxious. They weren't ready to start hounding their best selling author, but his contract was about to expire and it was rumored that S&A wasn't going to renew.

Drew would come up in random conversations throughout the office. He's been doing drugs. He's gay and his lover hates his heterosexual literature. He lost all his money gambling. He stole his writing from somebody else. He's just old news. Veronica heard the snippets and it made her anxious. She too, was curious as to why he hadn't written in a while, but surely that was his business. All he needed was more time, but it didn't seem that he would be getting any. The company sent out a formal memorandum stating that Drew Milner would be cut as a client. Veronica couldn't let that happen. She had to help Drew herself.

Drew was getting frustrated when he heard from the production company. They were not happy with him at all. Apparently they were planning on not renewing his contract with them. That was annoying. He could always sign with another production company, but it would take time and a lot of convincing. He needed to keep the contract to keep his motivation up. To do that he needed to write a good book. To do that he realised he would need help. As much as he didn't want to admit it, he needed someone to assist him in getting over his writer's block. He sighed. He didn't know who to turn to. He had never needed help before.

The night after Drew was officially notified of his impending contract release Veronica stayed late at the office. It wasn't unusual for her to stay late, but she stayed in her cubicle waiting for everyone to leave. When the last person left she got up from her desk, contemplating what to do. Client information was confidential; and Drew wasn't her assignment. It wasn't as though things were a secret, but it was against company policy to use the information for any use outside of professional purposes. Veronica cradled the keys to the file cabinet in her hand. This was for professional purposes. She'd debated asking, Allen, his personal contact at S&A for the information but decided against it. She just need his phone number. A direct line. She took one last glance around before opening the cabinet. Despite her hand shaking, she pulled out his file and quickly committed his cell number to memory. She locked it back up and scurried back to her office. Why as her heart pounding. She jotted the number down and dialed the number before she could lose her nerve.

Drew struggled for the next few days. He came up with ideas, but each time he tried to create a story around it, he failed. He was unhappy with all of them. He put them with the others, through the shredder. It made now over a hundred failed ideas and a handfull of failed half-manuscripts. He was annoyed and angry with himself. He started to hope that someone, anyone would be willing to help him. He thought hard about his friends and family, but knew that none of them knew anything about writing novels and would not really be able to help him. He was getting desperate

After the phone rang once in her ear, Veronica slammed the phone back down. What was she thinking? What could she do? She sighed, looking around the cubicle. It was crazy. She'd already stolen his number. What was she really expecting? A quote from one of Drew's books was posted: "If the thought keeps you up at night, surely the act ought to occupy you during the day." After reading it, she knew she had to do it. She had to help in any way she is like could. Or at least offer to help. It had been on her mind and to not do anything was to just give up. How useful was thought without the follow-up actions? She picked up the phone again and dialed. It rang a few times and as soon as she heard the click to connect, she spoke. "Veronica Fortune for Drew Milner." She paused just a beat. "Please?" she blurted about before the person on the opposite end had the opportunity to speak.

Drew heard the phone ring and picked it up. No one was there. It was strange. He just got a dial tone. They must have hung up. He shrugged and relaxed, trying to get his thoughts flowing toward another story idea. A few minutes later his phone rang again. He went over to it and picked it up. He was about to say hellp when suddenly a voice started speaking to him. It was a woman named Veronica Fortune. He thought about it. He didn't know anyone by that name. He cleared his throat. "Ahem, yes, this is Drew Milner speaking. Now, who is this? I don't know any Veronica Fortune. Why are you calling and how did you get my number. I'm unlisted." He waited, confused and a little nervous. He'd run into more than a few crazed fans before.

She paused, flustered. "I apologize. I actually work for S&A. That's uhm, well, that's how I got your number." She could feel herself flushing red and was glad she was on the phone and couldn't be seen. She cleared her throat, putting on her best professional voice. "Like I said, my name is Veronica Fortune. I know your contract with us is about to expire and I want..I want to help you, Mr. Milner." When he didn't respond right away, she figured that she at least had him interested in what she had to say so she continued. "I've followed your work since your start. I know none of those rumors are true. Just give me a chance to help." She took a deep breath, "Do you have time to meet?"

Drew listened as the woman on the other end of the phone. She sounded nervous. He waited to find out why she had called. The fact that she was from the production company could mean two things. He was happy to hear she was hoping to help him. When she said that he didn't respond right away. He was still a little uneasy. She seemed to really be interested in helping on a personal level. He thought for a few moments. He finally responded to her. "Ok, we can meet. How about at a coffee shop some time in the next few days. That seems like the best spot, especially to prevent any mroe of those rumors you are talking about. Just tell me when and where."

Veronica was convinced she was going to throw up because of her nerves. Doing this was absolutely insane. Somehow she managed to focus and keep her voice steady. She let out a huge sigh of relief and even relaxed in her chair when Drew agreed to meet her. She'd really hadn't expected his cooperation. Surely he would hang up on her or berate her in some other way. She pulled out her calendar, checking when she was free. "How about meeting at Brews For You? It's on the corner of Lenox and Tennenson. On Friday at 3?" She paused for a second; giving a man who she could consider her idol, instructions was a weird feeling. "I mean, uhm, does that work?" she asked, sounding flustered again.

Drew was a little confused. The woman seemed surprised that he had agreed to meet with her. It wouldn't hurt to see what exactly she wanted to do to help him. She sounded nervous as she spoke. He tried not to chuckle. After she finished suggesting where and when he wrote it down. He spoke calmly to her. "Yeah, that is fine for me. I will see you then. Just be careful so no one finds out you took my number." Her main usefullness was that she was working for the production company. If she got fired she would not be able to help him as much. He hung up and sighed in relief. He hoped she would be able to actually help him.

Veronica felt a wave of relief cover her body once Drew agreed to meet. The worst of it had to be over. She smiled at just the thought of being able to meet with him. She'd met him just one another time, but that was at a book signing for his second book. There had been no time to talk. No time to express her adoration. She reminded herself that there would also be no time for that now either. She couldn't be just some run of the mill crazed fan. She was on a mission. He seemed to believe in her enough. Besides, what could it hurt? "Nobody will find out. I promise. See you then" she said and hung up the phone.

She felt a burst of adrenaline flow through her body after the phone call. She was actually going to do something to help. She hurried home and pulled out all of her books and media clippings. She took out a notebook and jotted down some recurring themes and places and objects that had given Drew inspiration. Maybe he just needed to start completely over and go back to his roots so to speak. That was her original idea anyway. She thought talking to him would be better to determine what the problem was.

The next few days went by in a blur. She showed up to the coffee shop early but was already too jittery to get any caffeine. She chose a small booth in the back with an eyeline towards the door so she could see him when he came in.

Drew spent the following few days trying, as usual, trying to start up another book. He couldn't come up with anything. He was getting annoyed and a little down hearted as he went to the coffee shop. He arrived just before three and didn't look around. He went right to the counter and ordered a drink. As he waited for it to be made he casually glanced around. He looked for whoever might be Veronica Fortune. He had no idea what she looked like. He was sure she would know what he looked like. His picture was in the back of each of his novels.

He was 6 feet tall with an average build. He stayed fit, but didn't work to build muscle. He had neatly trimmed light brown hair. He had calm, analyzing blue eyes. They usually took in every situation and created inspiration, but lately he was unable to come up with anything good. He also had lightly tanned skin.

Veronica tried to stay calm when she first saw Drew enter the coffee shop. She had intended to wave, but couldn't because he didn't look around. She fidgeted slightly in her seat. There was no way for him to recognize her. She was too busy wondering what to do that she didn't notice his casual glance around the coffee shop. She took a deep breath and stood up, going over to introduce herself.

She was just shy of 5'8" with a petite build. Being so active as a teenager had kept her fit in her later years. Then again, she got plenty of exercise from her job when deadlines were do. All she did then was run around like crazy. She had brown hair that hung around her shoulders in cascading waves. Her eyes were a warm hazel and she had plump pink lips.

She walked up to the side of Drew, trying to give him time to see her so she didn't startle him. "Drew? I'm Veronica." she said, extending her hand.

Drew noticed a woman get up and walk toward him. He stayed casual. When she got over to him he waited for the introduction. It came as he expected. She was the woman he was there to meet. He took her hand and shook it. He also took that time to take a good look at her. She was an attractive woman. Somewhere deep inside, the look of her started to form the basis of a potential character for a novel. He wasn't conscious of it yet, but it was there.

He silently got his drink and walked over to the booth Veronica had been at. Once they were both seated he smiled at her. "Hello Veronica. I must admit that your phone call surprised me. I was not expecting it. Anyway, you are right. I do need help. I have been suffering from writer's block. I could use some help. How do you think you could help me with this?" He looked at her, analyzing. He wanted to figure out as much as he could. He needed to know her motivation. Why was she helping him?

Veronica sat opposite of him in the booth, wishing she'd bought something so that she could keep her hands busy. She was nervous and it was taking a lot of effort to keep herself calm. She thought she had melted into the floor when Drew smiled at her. The photos on the back of his books really didn't give him justice. They couldn't capture the ease of his smile or the intensity in his eyes.

She laughed softly. "To be honest, the call surprised me as well. I guess I did it on a whim." She took a deep breath. "I've been a fan of yours for years. You're part of the reason I'm in this business. It would be a shame for all of your talent and hard work to go to waste over some writer's block." She pulled a folder out of her bag "I made a list of things you've said you've used as inspiration before." She flushed, hoping that the gesture didn't seem to obsessive or stalker-ish. "I just thought it would be a good place to start. You know, go back to your roots...so to speak. I think a lot of authors get caught up in the writing. They forget why they started to writing. They lose the love of it, you know. Once they start writing for an audience, they get popular and then the expectations and the stress co--" she cut herself off with another blush. "I'm talking way too much. But that...that was just my idea to get started" she said, looking up at his eyes before quickly looking down at the table.

Drew was surprised by how nervous the woman sitting across from him looked. Even before she said so, he could tell she was a big fan. He only saw people this nervous when they were fans of his. He listened to her compliments and explaination about how he was why she was in the publishing buisness. He smiled softly. He waited to hear what she had in mind to help him.

When she told him she had a list of things he had used for inspiration before he was a little confused. Had she got that from reading the books really well? Or did she get it from elsewhere. It was strange. He had never told anyone what gave him inspiration. He assumed it must be a list of things out of his books. He didn't inturupt her, waiting until she finished speaking before responding. "Well, I've got nothing better. So continue and let me know what you have in mind to start me off. I'm willing to try just about anything right now. Just tell me what to do."

She nodded quickly, relaxing a bit. Veronica was a talker and now that she felt she had his permission, she fell comfortably into the role of managing the plan. That was her real job anyway: coming up with a method to garner the most success and running with it. She was damn good at what she did and worked hard at it. She felt as though she was now in her own element and could take complete control. She relished the chance to try something new, especially when it would be a challenge.

She opened the folder, her nerves visibly calmer. "It really is a short list. Mainly some themes I've seen repeated several times in your books." She took a pen out of her bag and chewed the end while she thought. "I was thinking that setting was a good place to begin." she stated, taking a quick glance up at him before looking down at the page. "I've noticed the repetition of water and woods in your work. I mean, you did grow up on Hollis Island so that makes quite a bit of sense. Have you been back there recently? Since that is where you got your start initially it might be good just to go back." She suggested. "I remember reading once that while on a cruise you started most of the plot for The Clouds that Drown." She blushed "I mean, maybe you don't have time for that stuff, but it couldn't hurt to go back. I doubt you'll get the same ideas over again. Hopefully you'll get new ones." She tapped her pen on the side of the table as she studied her list. "Then I was thinking we could explore the characters. Wasn't Tonya from Lust From the Orchard based on a woman you went to high school with?"

She stopped, waiting for his response. It was silly to keep going if he thought her ideas were stupid. Maybe they were, but the way Veronica figured it, Drew was at the end of his line. His contract was on the chopping block and at this point, anything done to save his career would be an option.

Drew was not really sure what to think about Veronica's quick change from being nervous to being calm. He listened as she started to explain her ideas. She started and showed some insight into his writing. However, the more she said, the more he was confused. The knowledge about where he had grown up was fairly common, but the other two facts she had were not public knowledge. He had never announced anything specific about where he had started writing things or who his characters were based off of.

He looked at her, trying to figure her out. Was she getting her info from the production company? Did she even work for the production company? He wondered what else she knew. He finally responded to her. "One question first. Do I need to google myself more often to find out who is releasing info about me and my books, sign some sort of privacy agreement with the production company to prevent info from being passed along to everyone, or should I get better personal security to look out for stalkers?" He watched her and let that sink in before continuing. "Anyway, I could try some of those things. That is about the only thing I have not tried yet. I've tried many other things."

Veronica's jaw dropped; she wasn't quite sure how to respond to his question. it hurt. He might as well have just called her a stalker to her face. She closed her folder slowly, gripping the pen in her other hand. Her cheeks were flushed but she couldn't help it. "The privacy agreement wouldn't work considering the fact that you no longer have a production company," she pointed out. "And considering that you haven't written so much as a grocery list in almost two years I doubt you have the fan base that would require more personal security or the money to do so." She paused to take a breath as her anger, hurt, and embarrassment subsided.

"All I'm trying to do is be helpful, Mr. Milner. That's it. If you want to question where I got my information, then fine. But rest assured I haven't gone snooping through your garbage. And the company I work for has strict privacy policies and would never release personal information without your consent." She stood up and gathered her folder, slipping it back in her bag. "Take some time and think about it. Let me know if any of my ideas help."

Drew could tell he had upset the woman with his question, but how else should he have reacted? The girl knew more about him than she should know. Either she was a genius, or she had gotten her information from some outside source. He knew she had not got it from him. He told very few people things about his novels. He wanted them to stand up as completely fictional stories. The last thing he wanted was people explaining certain aspects of his books as things that happened in his life. That would be wrong.

As she got up and started to leave he held out a hand toward her to stop her. "Hey, wait. I'm sorry if I was a little harsh with my question. However, you did get my number, and that I know for a fact is extremely private information. You have to understand my reaction when you know even more information that I try to keep quite secret. Now, if you will sit back down, we can discuss what I should do. I can't do this on my own. I need help. You seem to be smart, so I think I definitely need your help. So, will you please help me? I also need someone to keep pushing me to actually try the method. If I am on my own I will not fully immerse myself in any situation that might help. I also seem to have become very self critical. Anything I do write I will end up thinking is not good enough. You seem to know a lot about my work and seem to be a big fan. You would be a good objective opinion on what I right and would know if it is as good as my previous work or not. So, will you please accept my apology and help me?" He looked up at her with sincerity in his eyes. He did need her help. He knew that if he was left to his own devices he would never come up with another book, and if he did, it would not be for a long time and would probably not be very good.

]She sighed. What in the world had she gotten herself into? She felt way in over her head. And he had every right to question her. She did steal his number after all. She sat back down as he continued to talk, rubbing her temples in an effort to dodge an impending headache. "I want to help you. I will help you. But..you're going to have to trust me. I did steal your number from the company but that's it. I didn't know the other information I had was some kind of secret. I was never really told any of those things. I just put pieces together that made sense."

Her eyes met his. "Don't apologize. I understand your position. I shouldn't have gotten upset and snapped at you. I'm willing to help you as long as you want my help." She gave him a slight smile. "Where exactly would you like to start?"

Drew was glad when Veronica did not leave. When she sat down again he smiled at her. He was happy that she still wanted to help him. When she asked him where he wanted to start, he thought about it. With a shrug he sighed. "I don't know. I don't trust myself anymore to make decisions. So I need to trust you. Where do you think I should start? I'm willing to do just about anything. So, what do you think? Tell me and I will do it." He looked at her. He wondered what she would have him do first. There were probably many options, but he had no clue. Well, he did, but he was unwilling to make any decisions for himself.

It actually surprised Veronica how helpless Drew seemed. Well, helpless wasn't the word. Just how he seemed to lack control over what was going on. That had to be hard. If you didn't trust yourself and your work? You were pretty much lost. She chewed her bottom lip, considering his question. She finally made a decision. "I think you should go home. Where you grew up. Where you first started writing. Maybe take a look at the first things you wrote that weren't published. Perhaps some things from school. You know, when you were just writing for fun. For the sake of a story. Before.." she waved her hand around "..you know, everything. I think, I think that's the best place to start. I mean, that's my idea anyway."

Drew nodded as Veronica explained that he should go home to try recapturing his original mind set. It was worth a shot. If anything it would be nice to relive old memories. He would spend a few days exploring his childhood. He smiled at Veronica. "Ok, I'll do that. I'll go home for a while. Thank you for your ideas. In the mean time, do you think you could try convincing the production company to wait a little longer before getting rid of my contract? Or giving me an extension of some sort? Anything to buy me more time would be extremely helpful."

Back
Top Bottom