Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The High Seas (Tasinga x cizitenanon)

Clare smirked." Do I look like a woman who wears dresses sir? As for wearing only stockings it's rather rude to make such a large request of a woman and not offer anything at all back." She had wit and a smart mind. She also knew that when in Rome dress like they do. She would not die by the hands of some rough men . No she would stay alive and show them the heart of a French woman.

Though Clare figured they would have learned the night of the French lass with Joan Da Arch. Apparently men did not learn as fast as one thought they did. Or willed. She laughed a little chuckling and then set the book to the side.

William nearly laughed at her brave words! She was a witty one when she was not delirious with pain or wanting to run him through with her saber. Or shoot him with her pistols. He nodded, "An offer, hmmm?" He questioned. "Among other things, I could offer a warm bed away from the sailors, better food, drink, and a fair share of what loot that you take part in retrieving." That he would obviously not allow her to die in such a case was not stated as that was more than obvious. The ship continued to roll as he watched her and waited to see what she thought of the offer he made. "Ah, and your saber, of course." He sweetened the pot.

William found himself enjoying the verbal back and forth with his current companion. It was not something that he managed to enjoy often. The sailors below were either intimidated or to inundated with official roles to even attempt conversation. Which was fine. That was how a ship was meant to be run. His officers were of no use to him in such a sense either as they were more than willing to agree with his opinion of the day.

She listened to his offer smiling. A flash of her more strict side could be seen as they sat a crossed from each other at his desk. William's larger build was much more the notice in the room by sheer size. His long dark hair and green eyes seeming like a cat's might. His hands in-front of him folded together. Even his dirty look from the lack of a bath added to his over all presence in the room. He seemed relaxed though one could tell he was at the ready at all times just bu looking at him. Some light scars and wounds but not enough to show weakness though leaving the question of what battle he had been in.

Then their was her, Clare. A leaner form and seeming as if to be a doll. Though a closer look showed she was anything, but a doll. Her cold yet eyes that looked to old for her body looking at the surrounding space though seeming to look right through it. Her blonde silver hair like a liquid river down her back even though her body seemed to not fit. Her fair skin marred by the bloody bandages just showing under her jacket and skirt. Though her statue and un-caring presence could make even a man freeze as it gave off the sense that yes she may be hurt but she would kill any man who was in her way.

She finally responded to his offer. "I will think on it sir. Though as for your offer for more garments I am just fine in these."

"Suit yourself." William pulled out a second cup and poured a bit of rum. "You refused the last time, but I think this time you've earned it." He passed it to her. The heavy cup sat still on the table; its weighted bottom ensure that no matter how much the ship rolled, it would stand proud. "I must admit a bit of curiosity of how you came to be a ship's captain, Miss Clare. It is an odd occurrence, Anne Bonny being the typical exception to that fact." William knew the female pirate by reputation only. They did not tend to sale the same waters, but he had heard several tales in regards to the feared lady pirate.

"Tell you what. As an offering, I will start us off." William sipped at his drink and stared towards his bed as he gathered his thoughts. "I started on as a ships surgeon at the age of seventeen. I was young, but like most lads of means, I studied from an early age to enter my profession." William sat his drink down. "Then came the doldrums. You've seen them, I'm sure. Crystal clear waters as far as the eye can see? Smooth as glass, but much more deadly." William shrugged, "We must have floundered for two weeks. By the time we caught wind again, I was the ranking officer on board. Took half a skeleton crew to get us back to civilization. Seems I grew a taste for commanding after that expedition, so I gathered a crew, stole my ship back, and have been sailing ever since."

She listened then said. "My family has always been a party of the sea crews to France. My father had six kids four boys two girls. Three boys died before even reaching adulthood. The oldest had no interest in being a sailor. I was though everything but a son. I quickly learned to deal with a boat and sails. Then going with my father several times I learned more stealing mother's language books. Then at sixteen I made my move slowly earning respect from sailors and crew men."

She said to him. "Then once I got a ship finally I demanded my command and from there we went on. Sinking the Spanish was the best those rats get what they should for keeping their gold to themselves. Plus they ruin the French trading roots as they go."

William smiled a bit at the anger that showed whenever she spoke of the Spanish. He could certainly understand the feeling. While he did not hate the Spanish nearly as much as she did, he did dislike them and had an unusual hatred for the Dutch.

"You're a quick study then." he complimented, "Not many could do what you did in that time span."

William pushed away from the table. "You should rest. You may sleep here. Either myself or the surgeon will be by later to inspect your wounds to ensure that you're healing well and quickly." His bed was by far the most comfortable on the ship and this would keep her isolated from the other sailors while she was healing.

[Skip ahead a bit to before the Spanish galleon attack? If you don't wish to, I can on my own post.]

(okay)

They had been sailing for about four days now. Most her wounds had re-covered. In that short time though she had proven her skill by out smarting and out sword fighting his crew members. Though not having her saber back yet she still could use a normal sword or any blade it seemed and challenge them. She often used quick foot work and her sword skills together.

One man had a black eye from her landing a high kick on him as she spun the blade hitting him in the gut. She wore her clothes only having added alarge under blouse and tying it at the waist with a belt she had found. This way her chest was not as visible to the men on this ship.

William was standing tall and proud. He was at the wheel and staring over the horizon. Somewhere close by, there was a Spanish galleon with enough gold to start a fleet or to retire on. Of course, he would not be doing either. When he was sure that they would not be sneaked upon by the Spanish ship and that he had look outs stationed everywhere, he turned towards Clare and the unfortunate men that were under her blade today. Even wounded, she was a dance of death. Many of the crew members were coming around to having a woman on board and many times, money changed hands during the challenges. William locked the wheel and walked down to the main deck.

In preparation for the battle, William had bathed, shaved and prepped. He had a reputation to uphold and the clean shaven handsome look was what he preferred. He cut a dashing figure in his jacket and repaired tri cornered hat.

"You seem to be doing quite well for yourself, Clare." He looked at the sailor with the black eye and sent him off to prime the guns. "Another challenger, eh? What did he want from you if he won? An evening alone?William turned to face his 'guest'. "Is that what I have to do to see those stockings again?"

She smirked a little as the man walked away. She then tossed her sword landing it between one man's legs who about shit himself. She turned saying. "Give me my saber. Did you think I was dumb enough to strip before payment?" She knew the men whispered that the reason she was doing so well was because she was sleeping with William. Though she had showed any man to say it to keep his trap shut. Even as the days past and she became more conferrable on the ship her eyes would glow like silver light.

They were grey blue eyes but the lighting of the ocean and the sun changed there looks. She often was one to beat men who challenged her and it was seen when she was relaxed she was more likely to land a swift blow to someones head. However she still proved to be the smartest among them save William never giving them wounds that would effect the upcoming battle. She knew the Spainish would come soon.

William raised his eyebrows and nodded to his second in command. The younger man disappeared for a moment, but repaired with Clare's saber. It had been cleaned up and placed neatly in its scabbard. William looked the scabbard over before tossing it to her.

"We'll be entering battle soon enough and we will need every good blade that we have." William smirked a bit, "And I'll be expecting the rest of that deal after we fleece these Spanish bastards of everything they're worth."

William shrugged his jacket off and laid it carefully over a barrel on the deck. He turned to face his guest. His hand rested on the pommel of his own cutlass. He smirked, "How about it, Miss Clare. Are you prepared for another challenge?"

Clare looked at him saying." Challenge? What challenge sir?" She then made sure her boots were on tight. She then stood on the railing looking out to the water. She smiled and sat down back by the doors. She had long gotten used to the waves. The boat was going slow enough right now she could jump in with a rope and swim then go back up.

She put her hair into a long braid behind her. It would keep it out of the way. Also she was skilled enough that if she wanted to she could smack a guy with her hair.

"I think you'll find that I offer a bit more of a challenge to you than the average sailor." William drew his cutlass. It was very similar to Clare's own blade. Thin and curved, it was forged out of the hardest steel and tempered until it was as tough as it was sharp. The hilt was gilded and the grip was polished ivory with a golden pommel.

William had no doubt that he was less dexterous than Clare was. He could not match her for her ability to tumble about or dance over obstacles like she tended to do when they were in her way. What he did know was that he was likely stronger than she was with a better reach. He was unsure of how fast she was, but he was positive that he could keep up.

"Or are you afraid of a little experience?" He asked and brandished his blade in a guard stance.

She took a stance as well saying." Alright William let is start." She then started to circled with him. Her sword at the ready." Winner gets what?" She asked smiling at him. Then jumped forwards to test her reach against him. He was a larger build and a longer reach. This meant she would have to stay on her toes this entire fight. Likely for her that was her normal.

The pirate captain thought about it, "The winner gets a favor. To first blood." It made little sense to bet on materials or money. She had very little while he had what was in the cargo hold and if things went well, they would both be that much richer in just a few short hours.

William did not defend against the strike, but took a half step back so that he was well out of reach of the blade. It was a clear fencing maneuver. Also like a fencer, he sprang off of his back foot with a powerful forward thrust aimed for her mid section.

The people around them spread out as neither of them were well known for staying in one place for very long during a fight.

Clare dodged him with ease spinning around to face him once more. She then attacked jumping forward and spinning able to get close to his arms. She back flipped away from him before he could counter. She stayed watching him at all times. She stayed moving but not to much. She needed to keep focus and not use all her energy at once.

He dodged back away from her again before going on the offensive. He used his own speed and brutish strength to press the advantage. His attacks were quick and aggressive. Three times he attacked without a rest in between. Each movement brought him closer to her and nearer to the danger zone.

[Figure a draw or them getting interrupted by the galleon in a post or two?]

( ok)

He was good but she was leading him on. Letting him get closer to her. Then when she knew he was close enough she planted a foot on the ground then spun ducking as she did so. Then moving she was behind him. Clare struck him once with the flat of her blade to show him she was not so stupid. She then turned and quickly moved back to the otherwise of the circle.

William felt the sting of her blade and growled in annoyance that she felt that it was a safe move to play with him. The sting of the blade was weaker than the sting against his pride. William turned and forced himself to calm down and go on his guard once again. He slowly stalked towards her, ready for an attack or dancing dodge as she had shown him so far.

Above them, a look out stared out at the horizon. He thought he had seen a flicker of white over the blue of the sea. He could not be sure yet, so did not call down to the captain.

Clare then jumped forward once more sword still at the ready. She heard their swords meet with a clang of steel and a slight hiss was heard as the metal fluxed on her blade but she knew that would happen because of how the blade was made. It was made to bend with the strikes and go back after a moment. She then stepped back waiting for him to move.

Despite the relatively high stakes of the bought (favors could be called in for all sorts of things) William found himself enjoying the bout. The Captain made to thrust forward again when the sound of a whistle filled the air. One of the spotters had seen something!

William stopped mid thrust and backed up before sheathing his blade. "Better save that aggression for the Spanish. We'll be on them soon enough." The Captain climbed to the wheel platform and grabbed the glass that he kept there. He raised the tool and stared out into the horizon. After a minute, he found the ship. The galleon was turning in an attempt to pass them by, but he would have none of that and turned the wheel so that they were still on a collision course with the Spaniards.

"Unfurl all sales and prepare for combat, men!" He called down, "We will be on them in but a moment."

Clare smirked sword at the ready. She said." Time to take some Spainishe heads." She kept her sword out letting it loosely hang in her hand to her side. She watched them getting closer to the ship. Within ten minutes they were almost next to each other. The men all talking about how to be careful. She laughed at them. They were going to be there in a second.

The cannons were starting to fire. She went to a rope by the side off the ship. Waiting for the perfect time. Then when she was sure she would land it she cut the rope the weight difference springing her up into the air. She flipped mid flight landing on the deck. The Spainish all spun to fight her but she easily dodged several making a dead mark for the captain quarters.

Cannon fire rocked the ship. Gun fire from the sharpshooters picked off enemy soldiers. William swung across the small gap and landed near a group of Spaniards. The group turned and faced him as Clare ran off to sate her bloodlust. William swung his sword and knocked the blades of the Spaniards away before he lunged in and began to hack his way towards the Captain's quarters.

The Spanish captain was holed up in his cabin. Pistols and sword were easily within reach and he waited for someone to come through his door. He was prepared to blow whoever the unfortunate person was away.

Clare knew the captain probably had a gun trained for the door . This was why she side stepped and spring through one of the small windows on the side. Pistol out she fired at him teice hitting his shoulder but not a deadly blow. She quickly sprang like a cat . The two of their swords met mid air and then the dance started.

Clare could admit he was skilled and knew what he was doing though she on the other hand kept up with grace and ease. The swords met ever swing so far. She waited though cold eyes looking for an opening. Then seeing it she spun while stepping forward giving herself a back wards arch to her swing. Her blade ran through his chest and the man fell to the ground. She then instantly went to his desk and opening a chest behind it . Smiled at the contents. French military uniforms of high rank. Grabbing the cape off one she put it on

It hung off her left shoulder but like her skirt and jacket was navi blue with gold trim . She sat waiting knowing William would be coming any moment.

William fought his way towards the cabin and left a trail of bodies in his wake. His sailors were rounding up the remainder of the Spaniards. Those that were willing to give up were tied to the mast and the others were killed outright. William made for the Captain's door, but paused and looked through the busted window that Clare came through. He made a face and reached through to unlock the door.

"That's a bit presumptuous isn't it?" He questioned as he looked at the cape. "A nice look on you though."

Unlike when they captured Clare's vessel, this captain had not burned his maps and books. William checked the maps that were out on the Captain's table. He rolled them up quickly and began to pick his way through the Captain's books. "You did well in here, Clare." He praised as he found one of the books he was after. It was the ship's rutter, a book detailing their trade routes and other shipping information.

Clare smirked at his comment to her cape." I've been dying for one and I rightly have earned it a hundred times. Men just don't like admitting woman can be just as good if not better than they are at times." She let him have his reward not really wanting anything . She had found a pair stockings among several dresses.

She stated." I'll be back on your ship waiting. I'm not one to stay with the dead." She walked out and climbed back to his ship waiting in his quarters cleaning her sword. She knew he would be busy deciding the loot and everything else.

Back
Top Bottom