Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

/Sleighbells Ring, are you listening?/ - Me and Seven-

TheDarkerMe

Supernova
Winter sat curled upon her couch. A cup of cocoa perched between her fingertips. A sad look passed over the female's features as she stared at her fireplace. Another year alone, this year she didn't even have a nanny. Her head titled down as snow white hair fell around her features. Blocking the achingly painful to look at girl. Her features were the product of Highborn breeding, her mother and father both had quite a bit of Brittish to their blood.

Pale beauty, she had constantly been called. Totted like a trophy by her parents, the perfect well behaved daughter. Her eyes were blue, and her skin pale and unmarred. But she was small, smaller then any girl her age had the right to be. Well she was far from a girl, being twenty years of age now. Living in her own place, but still at the whim of her parents. As she was not allowed a job.

She was so alone, every year. Every year it got worse and worse. IT was getting so that she was dreading the holidays. But she hadn't stopped believing that one day, one day Santa would come through for her. She had been faithful ever since she had seen him outside her friend Charlies house. Just a small girl, with her fathers hands on her shoulders.

She had kept her faith forever more, and would never give it up. That was a rarity for someone her age. But she would do this for as long as she lived.

She sat on the couch, black skirts gathered around her legs, and a warm green sweater spread across her torso. The cup of cocoa was soothing to her. More soothing then anything else could be.

With a burst of magic, the letter appeared with all the others. The female elf in charge of watching them at the time, recognized the letter she had been ordered to bring as soon as it had arrived. This was a special letter, from a special girl. It's outside was cream colored, with swirls of silver embossment. That showed snowflakes, that Winter had put on herself. The letter inside was different this year.

Dear Santa,

I write you every year, and every year I don't get what I ask. But it's alright, I'm always faithful that one year I'll get what I want. I never want much, and I always ask for those in need to receive before me. But this year, if you see it in your power...I only want one thing. I just don't want to be alone anymore. Each year the burden weighs heavier and heavier on me. These last few days have been hard. I've always been good, but why is it that I have not received anything in return?

I've cried myself to sleep, and it hurts sometimes. Watching my friends with their families, why doesn't anyone ever keep me company? I'm sweet enough aren't I?

So this year, I don't care about if my parents are here. I've accepted that I am nothing but a breeding tool and a trophy to them. Just please, don't let me be alone...

Always Faithful,
Winter Solstice

The female elf handed the letter off to her main boss. Looking rather flustered, she knew that this letter would cause a flurry. She hadn't read it, but she could feel the sorrow that leaked from it.

Funny how things worked out. It was the 24th of December, eight o'clock at night, and he was standing on the sidewalk in the suburbs, staring at the front of a house in a neighbourhood he hadn't been in for years.

He had a bow on his hat. And a puppy in his shirt. It wriggled and had a cold nose, which it kept insistently shoving against his neck.

He was supposed to be working, like he had done every year before this. He had never not been working on Christmas eve, but this year he had been specifically instructed not to come back until the 26th.

It had gone like this:

It was Christmas Eve and the toy shop was alive; small figures moved at frenzied paces, tiny hands deftly assembled individually painted dolls, streams of vivid silk and ribbon were strewn around the rooms from where an elf or two had gotten just a little too into the Christmas spirit, and intricate little train sets made their test runs around the entire shop, following tracks that were extended every year by an obsessive hand.

In passing, said obsessive hand was currently plucking a train off the tracks as it ended its run, giving it a quick inspection, adjusting the tiny engine before setting it off on a second journey, knowing it was the little engine that could. With that done, Bernard continued on his way through the shop, deftly stepping over a runaway toy car and simultaneously tugging away ribbon that had managed to find its way onto his chest; in one hand, the Head Elf held a box of letters and in the other, a steaming cup of cocoa; it was a precarious balance, but he had it down to a science after all of these years. Balance. Co-ordination. Focus. Keys to surviving Santa's workshop on Christmas Eve - he would know, he had done it for more than a millennium.

A wooden airplane hit Bernard square between the eyes, causing him to briefly stop in his track and stand in place, staring down at the toy as its little motor sputtered a few times.

Also a sense of humour. That was important too. Bernard had one, just - sometimes he got a little too focused and sort of left it in his other beret.

The Big Guy, of course, had noticed. He'd seen in in the past years - maybe it was just that Bernard had a more stern work ethic, but it seemed less like the head elf was enjoying his job and more like he was just going through the motions. Santa could remember a time when Bernard had been the one to cheer everyone up with well-timed sarcasm and a cheeky smile and he could fondly recall the head elf using his particular brand of humour to cheer up Charlie time and again.

It wasn't that Bernard was miserable - he just didn't look that happy, either. Not while all of the others were smiling and laughing, dancing and throwing things around - the way they were supposed to. That was how Christmas was meant to look. Bernard almost seemed glum - it just wasn't right.

Of course, being who he was, Santa knew a solution would come along - he knew it the moment he saw the letter, covered in silver snowflakes.

"You should slow down a little." Santa said, and Bernard gave him a look of alarm.

"Slow down?" Bernard repeated, lifting his eyebrows high, "It's Christmas eve, big guy, and we've got a shop filled with thousands of tiny, hyperactive people that were given an endless supply of sugary drinks."

Santa grinned.

"Yeah - It's great, isn't it?"

Bernard stared at him for a moment, and then his mouth tilted upwards on one side in a lopsided smile - it was something of a relief to witness.

"Yeah." Bernard admitted, pushing the mug of cocoa into Santa's hand before setting down the box of letters, "But, look, listen. There's a lot to do -"

"There is." Santa agreed, adding wryly, "Lots. And you've already covered most of it by not sleeping for a week."

"I slept."

"On a box of toy soldiers."

"Hey, I didn't hear them complain." Bernard countered, and then cocked his head to the side to crack his neck, a reminder of the fact that elven spines aren't excluded from pain, "We've got another box of letters coming in from Florida; turns out the local elves made a mistake and missed sending a bag of them. Figures they would be the state to miscount. Anyways - you had Laurel send for me?"

Santa nodded,

"She gave you something, didn't she?" he asked, and Bernard patted around himself for a moment before reaching for his hat, "Did you read it?"

"No, I got kind of side tracked; Leisl sort of set one of the mini villages on fire with a gingerbread scented candle. It was chaos, Santa, little burning houses. The tiny well didn't provide enough water for the little rubber villagers; they were encased in waxy, delicious-smelling terror." Bernard said, pulling the little envelope out from under his beret; it had been carefully wrapped in cloth, which the head elf unwound; he turned the envelope over in his hands a few times, giving Santa a surreptitious look.

Santa waved a hand, encouraging him, so Bernard opened the letter cautiously and read it.

Then he read it again.

The third time, his brow creased and a distinct frown appeared on the elf's face.

"I've got a job for you." Santa said pointedly, smiling in a way that made Bernard question the big guy's sanity just a little.

That was how it had happened. Bernard had, of course, argued and debated and questioned his way through the whole process as a silk bow was slapped onto his hat by Santa and a dog was shoved down his sweater by Laurel. He had protested that he had to be around on Christmas Eve; Santa had countered that they would do alright, and he could use a vacation.

Bernard didn't have the chance to argue with that one, which was alright, because he didn't actually have a comeback. He did feel a bit stupid, though, when he found himself suddenly sitting in a pile of snow in the suburbs with a child standing on the front lawn across from him, gaping.

Awkwardly, Bernard got to his feet and did his best to act natural - it was harder than it looked, because the kid didn't stop staring until the head elf made his way up the driveway of the house and obscured himself in the shadows of the columns.

And, for a long time, he stood by the door, staring at it.

He'd never made a house call before, not since coming by to help Santa out with Charlie years ago. In fact, he hadn't left the North Pole much since the Jack Frost thing.

But it wasn't like he was obsessed with work or anything. Really.

He wasn't.

Bernard was jerked out of his reverie when the puppy began to gnaw on his neck like a tiny vampire, so he pulled it out of his sweater and held the wriggling thing to his chest, giving the door another hard look.

He probably should have knocked instead of just walking through it, but he didn't encounter a lot of doors; he forgot that they were supposed to be opened.

The inside of the house was - big. It was also dark and empty, soundless in a cold way - though, there was a distant orange glow that he automatically knew came from a fire place.

So he set the puppy down onto the floor, giving it a pat on the rear to encourage it onwards - but instead, it just sat down and rolled over onto its back, staring at him with enormous chameleon-like eyes.

"No," Bernard said, "Go that way. Go towards the light."

The puppy burped at him, and he put his face in his palm.

"Curtis must have picked you out." Bernard groused, moving to pick up the dog - of course, that was when it chose to lunge and attach itself to his jacket sleeve via its sharp little teeth, clinging on like velcro and refusing to release its hold. Bernard, made an attempt to tug the dog off of him, but it let out a non-threatening, playful growl of protest and shook its little head from side to side.

Desperately trying to be quiet, the elf moved down the hallway while trying to get the dog off, giving surreptitious glances towards the light from time to time, maybe just a little too distracted for his own good.

That was around the time where he ran into the dinner table, fell over a chair, and ended up sprawled out in the doorway, where he considered that maybe he did need a vacation.

Winter was dozing, visions of Christmas slipping through her mind. Every year it got harder and harder. She tried to make herself happy on these days, but even giving to those in need... didn't help. She was constantly alone, not even a nanny this year. Even if there had been one, it wouldn't have mattered. She was a job, not a child to be coddled like others. She was just a tool, a tool that was tired of being used. But being and artist and a cook wasn't getting her much of anywhere. She was still alone, while other girls her age at least had a boyfriend.

Sweet Christmas, a boyfriend would be something interesting. Not the guys her parents tried to get her to marry, to create influential ties. No, she wanted someone funny and sarcastic. Someone that knew how to cheer people up, someone that would keep her happier then she had been her whole life. Not that she should build her happiness solely on the presence of another in her life. That was simply insane!

She was jostled out of her half sleep by crashing sounds. Was Santa around already? It wasn't possible. It was too early wasn't it? She heard the soft sounds of a growling puppy, and frowned? What in the blazing christmas trees was going on? She slowly got up from the couch. Bare feet padded across the floor as she approached the dining room. There on her floor, was someone she remembered. Vaguely she remembered the elf, that Charlie had later told her...(much later actually) was called Bernard.

She believed when other kids didn't, so she was in on more of the secret then people knew. Santa knew and obviously the big man trusted her, if she was still remembering. Right? "Uhh.... are you... alright there?"

It wasn't the most graceful entry, a fact that Bernard was becoming more aware of with every passing second; with the elf face-first on the ground, the Pomeranian puppy played tug-of-war with his jacket for a few more minutes before losing interest entirely and running in the direction of the other person in the room, the bells around its little neck ringing joyously. Tongue hanging out, the puppy stopped at Winter's feet and looked up at her with its mouth wide open, tongue lolling out, stubby tail wagging so enthusiastically that its entire body wagged along with it. After a moment of this, it sat down and began to chew on its back leg to get at an itch.

Meanwhile, Bernard took a quiet, physical self-assessment; knee was throbbing from where he had gracelessly hit the chair, but otherwise everything seemed to be in working order, which he took for the good news it was and pulled himself unsteadily to his feet.

"Hey," Bernard said, setting one hand onto his head to readjust his beret, which was precariously close to coming off. The silken bow on it shimmered under the light; he still hadn't realized it was there, "Hi there. I'm - yeah, I'm fine. I'm good. I just fell over while breaking and entering."

He pushed the hat back away from his eyes and the firelight was the first thing he saw - and then his eyes readjusted and he found himself staring at Winter - she was standing just near the doorway regarding him curiously, and he found himself returning the favour. Pale, fair-haired, and blue-eyed, she was dressed in an emerald-hued sweater and she looked just like Christmas day.

Boggle-eyed, Bernard looked stunned for a few painful seconds, then he repeated,

"Hey."

And then shook his head, mentally scolding himself,

"We got your letter." he added helpfully, as though it wasn't obvious enough - and then one eyebrow dug downwards before he said, "I remember you - on the lawn, about nine years ago."

It would have been a feat of memory for anyone else, but when one is edging towards their second Millennium, remembering ten years ago was a snap - but even then, Bernard had a phenomenal memory.

Winter blinked rapidly as she cocked her head to the side. She watched as he flopped around, then standing. She bit her lip as she looked at the bow on his hat. She barely remembered him, but she knew that he was part of the Big Man's crew. She smiled wryly as she cocked her head to the side. "Uhhh... fell over while breaking and..." She said as the confusion fell across her features. Her lips quirking a little as her head tilted to the side further.

She noticed the puppy, who was now still biting itself, but it was the elf that really caught her interest. He was taller then her, that wasn't uncommon, but he was taller then her and an ELF. Not something she was quite used to. She braced her hand on the doorway, and leaned herself against the frame.

He was watching her, she could tell. Apparently he liked what he saw? She didn't know, didn't even glean to understand the machinations of the male gender. She laughed weakly as she bent down and scooped up the puppy, scratching him behind the ears. "Cute... " She commented. She stopped though when he mentioned her letter.

She looked down, a rather ashamed look overcoming her. She bit her lip and smiled softly. Her hand reaching up to tuck a strand of stray hair behind her ear. She laughed softly as he mentioned the lawn. "Actually twelve years ago, Charlie and I were both Eight." She said as she leaned against the dooframe more.

It was interesting, to say in the least. She put the puppy down and smiled at the Elf.

"Twelve years." Bernard repeated - he supposed it really had been over a decade since Scott Calvin had put on the suit, it had just felt like a shorter period of time - maybe because everything had gone so well.

Except for the whole Plastic Santa episode a few years back.

Oh, and the Jack Frost thing, taking over the North Pole and freezing people - that wasn't great either.

But things always got back to normal. Eventually.

Charlie had grown a lot since then and it turned out Winter had as well; Bernard - well, he looked the same, his last growth spurt had been about a hundred years ago. Elves just didn't grow very fast, and Bernard was an especially tall one, kind of a freak of nature for his breed, and if it weren't for the ears, the fascination with all things colorful, and the obsession with sweets, Bernard could have probably been mistaken for a human - albeit an incredibly awkward one.

It turned out he made an incredibly awkward elf, too - it just hadn't occurred to him until that very moment, however, as he stood across from Winter, not knowing what he should do with his hands, so he just kept fiddling with the edge of his jacket,

"So, uh," he said, and scuffed his shoe against the ground; the bell on his toes rang merrily, "The little fuzzy psycho - he's a gift. You know. From the Big Guy."

Winter laughed softly as she turned her head towards the living room. "Well, at least I'm not freaking out like some people would. Hungry?" She asked as she looked towards the puppy. "I bet you are." She commented to the creature as she looked back towards Bernard. She would wait for a response, for as long as needed.

She tilted her head to the side and then straightened it. Fidgetting with the edge of her sleeve and wondering on many things. One of which was how she looked. She suddenly cared about her appearance, which is a bit odd honestly. Usually she only had to do that for events with her parents.

Wait was there a flush on her cheeks, was she blushing? Well it was quite possible, hormones probably hadn't been too active in her. Plus she kinda had this fascination with him since she had seen him when she was younger. Such an interesting elf, that had changed her life.

"He's adorable, lets get him some food, and find some stuff for ourselves. If you are alright with that? I think I have cookies, and I can make some hot-cocoa."

"Yeah, it's not like I break into houses often." Bernard said, then added haphazardly, "Or ever. I mean, that's Santa's job. Just, uh, people usually think we're fake anyways, like kids in costumes or something, you know? So it's generally not a problem anyways, if someone sees us. At best, they're just a little stunned until they convince themselves they're having a mental break down - though, I did have one guy chasing me around demanding to know where the cookie factory is."

He pursed his lips for a moment, eyes rolling skywards as he recalled it, then he said,

"But to be fair, it was the sixties."

He was going off on a tangent.

"What I mean is that people don't usually take us in stride. It probably helps that you've seen elves before. And, you know, Santa. Not one of the shopping mall ones."

He almost shuddered at the thought; unhappy human workers dressed like elves, selling pictures of kids sitting on a mall Santa's lap, line-ups of exasperated parents and tired kids. Reminded him too much of Jack Frost's world.

Of course, then it occurred to Bernard that he hadn't really even thought about food for a while - he'd been so caught up in the chaos of the workshop that he really didn't have the time - and it wasn't until Winter mentioned it that the elf found himself considering the distinctly empty feeling in his stomach.

Alright, so maybe sometimes he let work take over just a little too much. Sometimes.

But no elf in his or her right mind would refuse cocoa. Or cookies.

"Yes." he said, with the utmost enthusiasm, "I think I'm alright with that."

Winter gave him a weak smile, the smile softened as she watched him. She listened to him ramble about breaking and entering, and Santa. She knew the Big Man couldn't get in any real trouble. The cops in this town that still had an inkling of belief, wouldn't let it happen. They liked the big man, hell all the kids she knew liked him. Well except for Jimmy Johnson, but he was a little snot that needed a spanking. But she wouldn't go there, about the kid that thought it was fun to cut down her tree.

He went on about a story about a guy and some cookies. "He was probably high on something." She commented in a off-handed manner. Trying to keep him comfortable about the situation. She laughed softly as he began to talk about mall Santas and their elves. Listening to him ramble was actually kind of nice.

He finally realized about food, and the girl smirked a little. She could hear his stomach from over here, at least that's what she thought in her mind. She laughed softly as she tilted her head down, a smile playing across her features. "Come on this way." She said as she turned around, walking towards the kitchen.

She pulled out her pot specifically for hot chocolate, and the she grabbed up all the supplies, from around the kitchen. On the counter was obviously homemade cookies, sitting on a cute little plate. It made her lips quirk as she thought about how she had made them alone. They always tasted better when made with friends.

Following after Winter, Bernard couldn't help feeling strangely like a stray dog that had managed to wander into someone's home; having already stumbled his way through part of the house, he was familiar with where the kitchen was at that point, but he took that moment to actually look at the place as he moved through it. It was familiar in the sense that it was a house - walls, doors, and windows - but foreign in the way that it didn't really feel like a home because there was something cold and distant about it.

It was too big. Too empty for one person.

And, having been the sort to live around hundreds of others for years, the concept of being alone simply didn't sit right with Bernard.

Especially being alone on Christmas.

It didn't make sense.

There was probably a tactful way to word it, but at that moment in time, it escaped Bernard; before he could stop himself, he blurted out:

"Where is everyone?"

Winter hummed as she worked on making the Hot chocolate. She also pulled out some mincemeat that could be used as some food for the puppy. Putting it in a tray, she set it on the ground. Humming still, she relaxed and set into the pattern of making the food. She motioned to the tray of cookies that held what she nibble on at Christmas.

She waited patiently for him to start talking, as soon as she heard his voice she went dead still. Her hands resting over the pot, and then slowly she started to stir again. She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm too old for a Nanny, my parents are always really busy this time of year with parties to go to." She said in a dead tone.

It was a sensitive subject for her. She sighed and tilted her head down and rubbed her forehead with her free hand. The hot chocolate was done and she set it up in mugs. Topping it with hand made whipped cream and a quick sprinkling of chocolate curls.

Bernard did his best not to frown too obviously, but his face was the open sort that left little room for deceit, so his unhappiness with Winter's situation was palpable; in his world, it was completely unreasonable for anyone to be alone on Christmas. He was aware that it happened, of course, but it just -

- shouldn't.

He knew this was the sort of situation where tact was called for but it wasn't something Bernard had ever been terribly good at, so he took his time with finding a response, dark eyes taking in the pale woman in front of him - she was focusing on making the cocoa, but he knew from her tight expression that she was just trying to distract herself.

Bernard chewed on his lip,

"So let's go somewhere." he blurted out, "Me and you."

Watching as the dark slivers of confectionery melted into the creamy whiteness of the milk mixture. She cocked her head down and then was startled by his words. Her head snapped up as she looked over at the male. "You want to go somewhere? Like... like a date?" She said as she blinked at him rapidly. Her eyes widening as she realized she had just sounded way to excited by something so little.

She picked up one of the mugs and then held it out to him. Motioning to the trays of cookies at the same time. Her cheeks flamed with color as she tried to think of exactly how to speak to him. It was a little weird for her, even having someone around on Christmas.

"What would we do?" She asked when she finally gathered herself enough to think properly.

Winter's head snapped up so quickly that Bernard started, his eyebrows shooting up as she fixed the blue lamplights of her eyes on him; what she said next, of course, caused his expression to match hers.

A date.

Bernard opened his mouth and then closed it again with an audible click of his teeth - there were, of course, female elves at the workshop and naturally he had the sensibilities of a heterosexual elf, but most of the time he was too focused on his job to really think about -

- about that. Dating. Girls.

That stuff.

He took the proffered cup of hot cocoa, and after a moment of consideration, he nodded, suddenly flushing as well without really understanding why.

"Like a date." he agreed finally, and his expression fell just a little at the next question and he looked off towards the floor, brows furrowing, "I, uh, I haven't really thought that far yet. But hey, it's Christmas Eve, right? There'll be lots to do. We'll just, you know, wing it."

He finished off with a blazing bright smile, one that clearly stated: 'I Have No Idea What I'm Doing'.

Winter felt color creeping across her cheeks. She nibbled her lower lip and gave him a shy smile. This would be good for her! That's what it would be. Santa had known, in her hearts of hearts she needed companionship. Perhaps, perhaps... she could find that with this Elf. He was considerate of her, most of the time... He seemed pretty funny and intelligent. All things she valued in companions. Her smile softened as she sipped the cocoa.

"We will have to take a look around. I'll have to throw on some tights under my skirt, and some heavy boots, but there is plenty of ideas. We could go to the mall and ice skate at the ring there? Or we could go scout out and watch families doing last minute shopping. It's a little naughty, but I like watching that kind of chaotic interactions. Last minute shopping, worrying over things..." She said as she looked towards her wallet that sat on the counter.

"That's when I feel I really help out. My parents give me money I constantly don't need, so when I see someone trying to figure out what to do about how to get that last minute Ham, or sweater... or a toy for Sammy... I just slip by them and slide a few bills into their bags... " She said as she smiled softly. She felt she did her little bit to help in the world.

Bernard tried not to be too eager with the cocoa lest he burn his mouth - as he had done, without fail, every single year before and would undoubtedly do again anyways - but it smelled good, and elves were terrible at resisting sweets. He staved off the urge for a little longer.

"Hey, there's an idea," Bernard said, "Me on ice - I can't even maneuver on tile floors, as you saw."

Actually, he was usually pretty graceful - it came with working in the toy shoppe and needing to constantly avoid tiny people and even tinier runaway toys - and besides that, he had skated since he was very small, year round. It was one of the perks of living in the North Pole.

"We'll go out and do everything," he said finally, "Whatever we find, yeah?"

Then he took a drink of the cocoa and burnt his mouth.

He wasn't particularly surprised.

Winter smiled softly, a new feeling rushing through her. This must be true joy, knowing that she didn't spend the holidays alone. She tapped her finger on her lip and quirked a smile from the corner of her mouth. "I think let's just head on out, and see what can happen." She said as she smiled even brighter. She set her cup down and then looked warily at the puppy. "We need a leash for him, don't we? In order to keep him from getting us in trouble." She said with a soft laugh.

She walked towards Bernard and stopped. A momentary flash of interesting things flashed through her mind. Note to self, they needed to avoid Mistletoe, that could end up problematic, since she had no experience with kissing. A blush spread across her cheeks and she kicked at the ground lightly. "I'll be right back!" She exclaimed as she darted from the room.

She was back in less then ten minutes, when she returned she was wearing a pair of thick stockings underneath her skirt. They were white with a beautiful design done in gold and red glitter. It was a rather swirling design, but definitely a Christmas design. "Bernard?" She said as she stepped into the doorway of the kitchen.

There were a lot of complications that came with being an elf, but the main issue that Bernard had discovered and tried to conquer was their innate tendency to be incredibly distractable. Despite his best efforts to focus - which usually came through in his strict work ethic - Bernard occasionally found himself being beguiled by a strip of shining ribbon or a glistening ornament.

So needless to say, when Winter emerged from her room again, his eyes were instantly drawn to the swirling holiday glitter that adorned her legs; he cocked his head to the side, a child-like fascination taking over as the sparkles caught the light and winked and glittered at him. However, instead of following the usual schedule of staring blankly at shiny things until they move, Bernard found his mental focus very suddenly shifting to what the pattern was on - legs. Winter's legs.

Winter's incredibly shapely legs.

Oh dear. The cocoa had gone right to his little elf brain.

He heard her say his name and his head suddenly snapped up,

"Yes!" he agreed, even though there was nothing that needed confirmation.

Winter smiled at the male, it was a weak and slightly shy smile. She knew he had been looking at her legs, it wasn't a new experience... to have people looking at her. But he had been looking in a different manner. Usually people looked at her in abject horror at what she was. Wasn't often you saw someone naturally as colorless as she was. She tucked her hair back a little, rather nervously when he suddenly jolted and said yes. "I'll grab my bag from next to the door, and put my boots on. After that... we can go out and see what can be done?" She said in a light voice.

Turning around and slowly walking towards the door. She knew he would easily follow, he was an elf... He could get around on his own. Plus he had been the one to suggest they go out anyways... She smiled weakly to herself and then brighter as she walked towards the door. She pulled on knee high black leather boots. High quality, and flat footed. With grips for snow and ice. These were her favorite pair of boots, and she had bought them instock from the designer, so she always had a pair, no matter what. She wasn't doing anymore growing, so having several pairs... meant she'd have them for life.

She grabbed up her bag, a black side satchel and threw the strap over her shoulder. She pulled her keys from their pocket, and then opened the door. She looked back, and held the door open. She'd lock up once he was through the door.

Bernard was doing his very best to brush off his own thoughts - usually he was consumed by work in the toy shoppe, too busy at this time of year to think of anything except for making toys, keeping Curtis from doing anything exceptionally silly, and just ensuring nothing caught fire. Oh, and keeping the big guy in line, since he sometimes got a little too whimsical, especially since a baby had come into the picture.

Babies. Bernard was never sure what to do about it when Mrs. Clause put her newborn into his arms and told him to just 'hold her for a few minutes'. It usually resulted in Bernard standing uncomfortably in one spot, too scared to go anywhere with something so small and delicate in his hands - most of the time he was graceful, but he always doubted himself when it came to something like a child. Mrs. Clause always laughed at him for it; sometimes he swore she did it just to watch him get nervous.

Which was happening more often, he noted. For some reason, right then, as he followed Winter out the door, he felt nervous.

It dissappeared the moment he saw snow again, however.

Standing in the suburbs, in the dark, late at night with little street light in an area that, by most humans, would be considered dull, Bernard's innate optimism showed through,

"It's beautiful out here." he said, utterly pleased by the world, looking over at Winter and offering her a white, lopsided smile.

Winter closed and locked the door, as soon as he was past her. A smile graced her features as she closed the screen door. She looked around at the wintry ground around her. Snow sparkling all over, and icicles hanging from a lot of the edges. A grin spread across her features as she walked out on the sidewalk. Glad there was grips on the bottom of her shoes, because that made it easier to not slip and fall. Something that would have been horribly painful, especially in a skirt. Her eyes closed as she gave a heavy sigh. Her eyes turning towards the male as a faint blush overcame her.

She needed to stop doing that, hell she didn't know why she was doing it. Jingle BELLS! She stomped her foot and then walked down the sidewalk, looking a little distracted. "The malls not too far down this road, I prefer to walk... unless it's not possible. It's just good exercise." She smiled brightly and then continued down the sidewalk. There at the mall she could do some good, feel not so alone. It would be closing down soon enough, but she had to at least go see the kids before the day really started to get going. It was only Christmas Eve, which meant she still had time to do good.

She knew that he wouldn't be here to judge her, but she wasn't going to change her usual schedule. She hadn't changed it yet, and she wouldn't. Unless something un-forseen caused such occurrences.

Bernard followed faithfully along behind Winter; given that he spent most of his time in the North Pole, his experience actually walking through neighbourhoods was limited, but elves never really got lost - they could always find their way home.

And, in the off-chance they couldn't - Curtis was a distinct possibility there, no that Bernard had any particular aggressive doubt about his second-in-command - then Santa would always help out.

"So you've lived here all your life." Bernard said, more a statement than a question; Winter had lived in the same neighbourhood as Charlie when he was very small, after all. "It seems - nice."

The scenery was brilliant, of course, but on some level the suburban neighbourhood felt a little - wrong.

"But it's kind of secluded, isn't it?" he asked, picking up a handful of shining snow and rolling it around in his palms, oblivious to the chill, "I mean, I know the North Pole isn't exactly easy to get to either, but uh, it's not quite the same, you know? Seems kind of lonely here."

Winter looked back to make sure he was there. Stopping for a moment and holding out her hand. The walking stopped because she figured this might be a better way to walk. A light dusting of color brushed her cheeks as she kept her hand out. She wanted to hold his hand as they walked. She did it with Charlie when he had been around, but this was different. A small smile graced her lips as she nervously watched him.

"Yep, been here my whole life... and yes it's secluded. I'm often alone for long spans of time. What with Charlie getting married, andmy parents never around."S he whispered as she gave hima mournful smile.

"Thus is my life, but I've come to openly accept it. The few happy moments I have, I cherish." She said as she smiled at him lightly. He crouched for snow and she took this moment to scoop up a handful, deftly forming a ball and lobbing it at his back. A grin on her face now.

Under the yellow glow of the streetlights, the snow glistened in Bernard's hands and he found himself staring at it in wonder - he had looked at snow every day of his life. Many years ago, he had looked at it with fondness; he was just realizing how long it had been since he had really taken the time to appreciate something as simple as a snowfall.

Or a snowball. To the back of the head.

Bernard turned after Winter struck him with it, fixing his dark eyes on her; he regarded her silently for a long moment, a smile creeping up his face.

"Oh," he said, shaking his head as he gathered up another lump of it, expertly rolling the snow around his palms, "It is on sister."

And with that, Bernard returned fire, tossing snow at Winter, aiming for shoulder-height.

Winter's cheeks flashed with a smile as she ducked the ball thrown at her torso. Rolling on the ground she already scooped up a new projectile. She lobbed it at him, as she took cover behind a tree. Peeking out around to watch him - mischief in her eyes. SO this was how it was going to be? Her first time with a companion like this - and a cute one at that. Jingle Bells! What was she thinking, head out of the gutter. She didn't want to get on the naughty list now!

She darted from behind her cover and bolted ahead, to head down the sidewalk. Unfortunately for her - there was a patch of rough ice beneath the smooth expanse of snow. Bernard - if he had been watching - would see the young woman slip and land rather hard. A tuft of snow flying up around her as she coughed. The wind knocked out of her effectively.

She stared up at the sky, wondering for a few moments what had just happened.

Back
Top Bottom