Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Dragon's Heart (for VelvetBlossom)

I chuckled and watched him go to his room. If only he knew. I stretched and popped my shoulders. I wanted to open my wings but knew I couldn't. Oh well. I settled down on the couch and closed my eyes. I let the dark of dreams take me.

^CRASH! BANG!^

I fell off the couch in a startled heap. The storm raged violently outside. Great. No treasure to take my mind off it and no way I can become my other form to shield the noise. Sighing, I sat on the floor and hoped my undignified thump onto the floor hadn't woken my host.

One thing Damien could say about himself is that he was a relatively hard sleeper. If the seemingly endless rain that clashed against his window and the thunder above couldn't take him out of his land of dreams a thump coming from the living room wouldn't do much about it either. Peacefully he cuddled his little blue dragon plushie and just turned around in bed, pulling the warm blanket a bit closer and nearly covered his head with it.

Damien had given his guest permission to walk and look around earlier already, hadn't he? Well in the worst case he sure wouldn't mourne too much when he was being waked up. The man knew very well that some people feared storms like this and wouldn't admit openly admit it and though most ones avoided him thanks to his dragon-themed hobby (or rather passion) he was still trying his best to be there for anyone at any time.

I sat on the floor for a little while. But that got old and the thunder wasn't going to let up. I jumped to my feet as another crash rattled the windows.
^Oh boy. I'm never going to get back to sleep. Might as well look around.^
I walked around the living room and had to smile at all the dragon based things. Pictures, figures, movies, even a shelf on the bookcase next to the entertainment center was full of little dragons of all kinds.
^Cute!^
I chuckled and was set at ease for a moment. Then a loud bang sent me running to Damien's room. No treasure, no dragon form...I was going to seek comfort the only way I knew how at this point. By being close to a warm body.
I opened his door, my breathing heavy, my heart racing...and not in a good way...sweat forming on my forehead. I was in the process of a panicked breakdown. I couldn't even speak for my throat was tight and I couldn't form human words.

"Wuuaah... ouch!" Damien his arm when he found himself on the floor next to his bed after a short yet rough fall early in the morning. He didn't expect to see someone lay in his bed and was quite surprised about it. He blinked a few times, wondering why Saphire was in his bed now. Maybe the couch wasn't comfortable enough? Or it was too cold and he didn't wanted to wake him up to ask for blankets? As it seemed he didn't even took of his clothes. Was he that tired? Too many questions and it only was "...6am?" he yawned. Usually he'd slept another hour or two, but he had that problem that he couldn't take naps without them ending in several hours of sleep.

The man stood up and silently sneaked out of the bedroom, not wanting to wake his guest if this crash hadn't done so already, into the kitchen to prepare a simple breakfast: Toast, eggs, bacon... or no bacon, because it seemed like he had none... would he drink tea or coffee? Or just some juice? he wondered and made some tea. If he wants some coffee he just has to ask or make it himself so he thought.

I yawned and stretched. Then realized that Damien wasn't there anymore. I sniffed and had to smile. Food. I got up and headed for the kitchen.

"Good morning. I'm sorry about last night. I don't do so well in thunder storms and last night I had an attack."

I looked down sheepishly and shuffled my foot on the floor. He seemed like a nice person but I hadn't asked if I could sleep in his room. I hope he wasn't mad at me. I sniffed the air again as I sat at the table.

"That sure smells good. Is that mint tea?"

Known fact about me, I LOVE herb teas. With a bit of sugar and cream. Yummy.

Right now it only had been hot water, not exactly tea but Damien indeed liked to have some herbs around instead of tea bags though they of course were cheaper and in his financial situation they rather were used for special occassions. Maybe... finding-a-new-friend-special? Well it was a little too late as his finger already pointed to a cupboard in which the labeled herbs had been in. Oh well, he could buy new ones.. eventually. "Sure, suit yourself. Sugar's in the cupboard next to it and cream's in the fridge" Damien said and sat down on the table.

"Sorry that there's no bacon. I hope eggs and toast will be enough. Cheese, butter, jam,.... as I said, feel free to take what you want" he offered kindly. He didn't had much but he was ready to share what little he had with others any time. Maybe there had been such a thing as good karma, maybe he would have some luck for being a good guy or maybe he just made someone's day. Whatever it was, sharing has always had a good side to him and so far he hadn't regret it once.

I smiled and got out the stuff to complete our breakfast. Setting them down on the table, I sat down and watched him cook.

"That's fine by me. I've never been one for anything pig related. Eggs however is one of my favorite foods."

I was curious about the human race. And watching him cook, moving around the kitchen, flipping the eggs, watching the toast pop up...all of this was so interesting to me. As a dragon I didn't have to use all of these things to cook my food...when I ate it cooked.

"You know, dragons just breath fire on their food. No need for electricity. Cool huh?"

I was trying to start a conversation we both knew something about. I hoped it worked.

"You think?" the man wondered as he cooked the eggs and watched over everything. "I mean, wouldn't they rather burn their food when they breathed fire at it? You know the stories of them burning down all the villages and castles and kidnapping princesses" he laughed, then sighed. Dragons had been fascinating creatures and it was a shame to him that they were mostly portrayed as vicious monsters. There should would have been good ones too.

Placing the dishes and eggs on the table Damien added some seasoning for himself, not knowing how his guest liked them. "As a kid I was determined to find a dragon and become a mighty dragon rider you know?" he chuckled a little, "I guess I always has been a little crazy. But then as I kid you need your dreams and fantasys, don't you?"

I laughed and put salt and pepper on my eggs and butter and jam on my toast as well as placing the herbs in the hot water in my cup and breathed in the mint. I loved that smell.

"They only burned villages because they were employed to. The houses were no longer livable and the villagers paid with goats or sheep. And the whole princess kidnapping thing...HA! They ran off to seek out dragons to be body guards. And the only riders were those that were bonded with their dragons. It usually happened at the hatching of the dragon but sometimes it would happen later on."

I took a few bites of eggs and made a satisfied sound.

"Yummy."

Damien briefly laughed, taking it as a joke. People paid dragons to destroy villages? Well they sure weren't livable then anymore. The next thing however piqued his curiosity. "Body guards?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. He made it sound like dragons had been something like a race once. A civilized, smart race that lived side by side with the humans? Wouldn't there be something written in the history books then? Or proof that they had existed? Bones, treasures, buildings perhaps. "Sorry, but that doesn't really makes any sense."

Well, at least he seemed to enjoy the breakfast. Damien wasn't the best cook there was, but so far he hadn't managed to mess up making some eggs. Yet. The day would come, the man mused with a smile and began eating himself as he mentally went through his day and prepared for work and sighed. Couldn't they just send him a paycheck for laying at home and sleep? A short chuckle escaped him. Too bad history already showed that it wouldn't work for very long, would it?

"Yes. Not all dragons were mean nasty creatures. In fact, most of them just wanted to be friends with the humans."

I took a couple bites then continued, not able to stop at this point. It wasn't like he believed me anyway.

"Being a royal bodyguard was like the highest honor there was. That meant that they were prized by all and treated as if they themselves were royal."

Sipping my tea, I looked at him over the rim of my cup. Just to see his reaction. I had been a guard once. It was the highlight of my life. Until the humans started to hunt us down for our skins, claws and horns. Then we had to hide amongst humans looking as if we were humans. That's how we have survived all this time.

Damien blinked once and rubbed his eye. For a moment there he could have sworn he saw... something. He couldn't even really tell what it was. Something in the other's eye? No. There was nothing, was there? Damien shook his head. It's been early in the morning and his eyes were just playing tricks on him.

Interested he listened as his guest continued. It didn't sounded real to him, these theories could in no way be proven. Or could they? How? And "How did you came up with all this?" he asked, in his curiosity he even leaned in over the table a little. Royal bodyguard dragons were nowhere written down in any of the books he read. It sounded like fairy tales and children's stories. But why did it piqued his curiosity so much? Why couldn't he get rid of the feeling that there had be something true about it? Maybe it was just him, a simple man and fan of these creatures, who wished it was real...

"I've done my share of research. And humans write what they want others to believe. Not what is true. Your history for example is riddled with holes and fake facts so humans feel better about what they do."

This was becoming more and more fun. It was the truth the way I saw it growing up but for all he knew I was just some dragon nut that wants to believe that good is found even in the 'scariest' of creatures. I just hoped I didn't say something that would give me away to him. That's all I needed...a human trying to pick my brain and haven knows what else. But this was the most fun I've had in over 200 years.

Back
Top Bottom