Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Warped Sense of Justice [Death Note] (Yuna & Reinholdt's 1x1)

LadyYunaFFX2

Pulsar
http://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpg

It was January 1, 2007. Even in Japan, they celebrated New Years' Day just like America did. That being said, it was a time for starting over, a time for making resolutions and promises. While some people had an easy idea on what they wished to do, seventeen-year old Sakura Takesho wasn't 100% certain. While she wasn't on break, the young woman attended Daikoku Private Academy. It infuriated the young adult that she was quickly approaching her graduation and still wasn't sure on what path in her life she should take.

Thankfully, the professors had been more than understanding. There was, after all, a good reason behind it. About six months ago, Sakura's parents had been gunned down by some random punk who stole all the money they had and left their dead corpses in an abandoned alleyway. Ever since she had been informed of the news, Sakura had changed and not for the better. Anyone who knew her could have easily said she used to be a sweet, generous teenager. But now, all of those feelings had practically frozen up, much akin to the ice and snow all falling outside.

The answer should be obvious. With how badly she wanted justice, she should pursue criminal justice. But how could she when those same cops failed her? They hadn't been able to do shit to help her parents out.

"And why the hell not?!" she hissed aloud, her red eyes glaring in anger. "They sure took their sweet-ass time. Fuck sakes ... "

The idea of downing some sake was very much tempting. But honestly, Sakura wasn't really in the mood. Not yet. She wanted ... what did she want?

After contemplating quietly, she nodded to herself, grabbed a heavy coat and placed it over her tank top. Her hands grabbed the keys to her mostly empty home, slid them in the pocket of her jeans, and before Sakura could question herself, she walked out the front door. The young woman turned around long enough to lock it then back once again. A long, deep exhale which could easily be seen thanks to the cold temperature resounded, mingling in with the wind.

Sakura needed two main things. For one, she wanted to walk. Admittedly, it was a bit of a reckless idea given she didn't really have anywhere to go. But that was where the second idea came to her mind; to visit her parents' graves. She was overdue for seeing them anyway so ... why not? Who knew, maybe it'd help her figure out some resolutions she could try to maintain.

It was worth a shot.

I mean ... fuck. What more do you got to lose? Your own sad life?

A mere shrug was all she replied with to herself as she continued to walk through the snow, heading towards the cemetery where her parents had been buried. On the way, however, her mind asked that same question once again.

Let's not bullshit yourself. What do you really want, hm?

"Justice!" she hissed, venom mingling with the ice and snow around her. "But ... I can't! What the fuck can I do by myself?!"

And then, that had been when it all hit her, as if a brick smacked her forehead. Her mind went back to what had been one of the most famous - infamous depending on who you were- figures the past several years.

Kira.

Somehow, this 'god' known as Kira had been dealing out justice by executing criminals who'd gone free.

"Okay ... that's all well and good. But how the fuck are you gonna do what he's doing? Let alone without getting caught and shit?"

When no answer came to her, it made Sakura scoff in annoyance as a defeated sigh passed her lips. "Never fucking mind it. Let's face it. When all is said and done ... you can't do jack shit."

The answer only made her anger and temper worse. Yet all the same, she knew it was true. Really, what could she do? Nothing ... not without finding Kira anyway. And even then, there was no guarantee he'd help her out or reveal his secrets. Somehow, she'd have to find him. It sounded insane, impossible. And at the same time, the small but still hopeful part of her was convinced that there was - no, had to be - a way to find him.

A New Year. Light Yagami had never felt better about this day. Sure it was always a time for renewed resolutions, but before it was always hollow. 'Study harder' this year! 'Exercise a bit more' this time. 'Be nicer to my sister' way back when. It never meant anything. Every resolution really came back around to be myself, but a bit better. Stay the course. Live the dream.

Over one year ago he became Kira and began changing the world. Obstacles dared to pop in his way. It was exactly this day one year ago even that Naomi Misori found out the price for defying him. Back then, he was Kira, dispensing justice and paving the way for his new world. THIS year though. This year, he was someone else. Now, he was Kami. No one else stood in his way as he molded the world to his image, free from oppression and evil. There were still blackness to scrub away, work to be done, but victory was completely his and his alone.

Since L had died, Light had all too easily stepped into his shoes, controlling the idiots at NPA as easily as he did the deaths of criminals. He considered getting rid of the Kira investigative team, but using them to his own ends was far more satisfactory. Besides, they couldn't hold a candle to L.

No one could. And that's what always ate away at Light inside. A tiny gnawing reminding him that there was no one to hold a decent, if completely false, conversation. No one to relate to. Light was well and truly alone, as is God's right and curse. He would never regret killing L or anyone that got in his way, but a part of him would always miss having the Devil around to compete with.

"Liiiiiiighhhtttt-kun. Come to bed."

Instead, he had fucking Misa to keep him company. That woman who forced herself on him and nearly ruined everything with her stupidity. Her Shinigami eyes had proven useful but that's about the only part of her that had any worth. A rather large part of him had been toying with the idea of offing her in some way that wouldn't draw suspicion to himself, but the opportunity and timing had yet to present itself and his time was devoted to actually making a difference in the world over creating an accident for Misa to fall into. One day soon though...

"Later. I'm working."

The tv droned on. New Year's Day.
Light Yagami resolved to rid himself of the plague known as Misa.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2evrplu.jpg

Minutes later, the gates came into view of Sakura's red orbs. Her fists had subconsciously clenched, causing her nails to dig into her palms. By the time she knelt in front of her parents' graves, they were all but ready to break through her flesh and draw some blood. Perhaps the fact that her parents wouldn't like it was what made her cease. Regardless, it was an unknown source. For all Sakura knew, it may just have been dumbass luck. Whatever it was, she'd listen to it ... for now.

A shaky hand reached out and rested upon the tombstone before wrapping around it, as if she were trying to hug them instead of the cold tomb. Her head rested right above both of their names so they were still able to be seen by her eyes. Her hands trembled as the flashback began to haunt her mind.

"Miss Takesho? I'm sorry but your parents were found killed in an alleyway."

".... What?! What the fuck do you mean?! Why?!"

"From what we could gather, for funds."

"Money?! That's really fucking it?! Who the fuck did this?!"

Sorry, but right now, we don't have enough evidence to find any one specific person. But we'll get right on it."

Even to this day, they had admitted to Sakura that they had indeed found out who the person was. They had even given her his name. But apparently, they didn't have enough evidence. The memory made her eyes roll as a few tears fell down face.

"Such bullshit. It's not fair ..... urgh!"

Her more violent tendencies were kicking in. She wanted to punch something. Not the grave though, no. They didn't deserve it. Something else, maybe. But she had more respect and control than to take her fury out on another grave. She decided that she could wait for home and take her aggressions out on a wall. For now though, her eyes glanced down as she realized it was becoming difficult to feel her legs. As much as Sakura didn't wish to, she had to head back to get warm. It wouldn't be good to start the new year with frostbite of all things.

Slowly, Sakura pushed herself up to her feet. Before she could take a step out of the graveyard, however, a black book literally fell near her feet. The sight made her blink several times.

"... What in the fuck ... ??"

Leaning forward, Sakura picked it up if for no other reason to keep it from getting ruined by the snow or getting too wet. Upon the cover, it read Death Note, causing her to chuckle.

"This some sort of a joke? The hell?"

Her feet began to guide her out as she opened the book and began to read the inside.

"... This thing has instructions?"

Disbelief was slowly beginning to turn into intrigue. The more she read it, the more it sounded .... real. Like some sort of .. spellbook. No, not spell book. Maybe at first, yes. But upon closer investigation .....

"It's for taking lives."

The voice from behind made Sakura's head turn and then her face pale. A mostly skeletal figure was now behind her, making her close the book and back away. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! I -- it's not my -- "

"I know it isn't. Not yet, anyway. Relax. Keep walking to your destination and I'll explain."

".... And you are?"

"A Shinigami, former owner of that book."

"... So .. you're giving it to me?"

"Yes. You could say I'm a dark guardian angel of sorts. I've seen you, watched you over the past several months trying to cope with the abrupt loss. So, I'm giving you a way to get what you want."

Everything was hitting Sakura like a brick with each step she took. This ... was almost too good to be true. There had to be a catch. She wanted to ask, but fear kept her from doing so. Her heart raced as she continued the trek back, thinking over everything that had been said to her thus far.

In the end, it was not anywhere near as difficult as Kira imagined. Things truly weren't the same without L around. It was to Kira's fortune then, that what the investigation team had in spirit, they lacked in intelligence. Of course, Mogi's survival of the 'accident' made things much more convincing. After all, if Kira was responsible for Misa's death, why would he leave the investigation member alive? At least, this was the reasoning he let the team believe.

Light Yagami was devastated of course. He would barely leave his room from the time of the news to the date of the funeral. The team and his family, especially his dad, did what they could to support him in his grief. The funeral speech was short, but emotional and choked with tears. To both Light and Kira it was probably one of the longest days of his life. When all was said and done Light threw himself back into his work. His dad protested at first, but realized Light needed to grieve in his own way and that was by working especially hard. Besides they still needed him desperately if they were ever going to capture Kira.

Later as Kira was fulfilling his true mission, he glanced at Misa's entry one last time.
Misa Amane, Traffic Accident
While riding in the back seat, the car Misa Amane is riding in is hit on the left side by a drunk driver who lost control of his vehicle. Two minutes later at 2213 she succumbs to her injuries in the arms of her driver.

Ryuuk's laughter echoed through the otherwise silent room as Kira closed the book, smiling.

Everytime Sakura took a new step forward, her mind continued to think on the here and now, especially in regards to this book. Her eyes continued to stare at it's title. Her teeth gripped down on her lower lip every now and again. With how good this felt in terms of being true - maybe even a dream - she had to double check to see if she was in the real world or not. The pain and cold snow continued to remind her that this was very much real. Her hands shook slightly as she clutched the book against her chest, as if she were holding her very soul.

"So ... this is for real? It works as you say?"

"Yeah, it does. Just pay heed to the rules listed. But otherwise, I'm very serious. You have someone you can test it on." the Shinigami replied in a matter-of-factly tone. "You've been waiting for justice to be dealt to him actually, haven't you? Why pass up the chance?"

Every word that passed the Shinigami's lips sent shivers down Sakura's spine. Gods help her, this ... man? No. Demon? Closer than a human. Whatever he was, he was right. She had waited six long months for something to be done to the bastard who took her parents' lives. But it was clear the cops weren't going to go shit. So ... she would have to take the first step.

"What's wrong? Can you not do it?" the Shinigami inquired, as if trying to tease or taunt Sakura. If that had been his intention, it definitely work. A new resolve shot through her as she turned around and dared to glare at him.

"No. I can. But ... how do I know this is real? Just .. just try it?"

"Pretty much, yes."

"... Fine then!" Her feet switched paces, going from a half-run to a full-fledged one. Within minutes, Sakura arrived into her house and went right to her room. Her body continued to shake as she slowly sat down, set the Death Note upon her desk and began to carefully read each and every single rule. Her head tilted as she came upon a specific part that really got her attention. Her head then turned as she looked up at the Shinigami.

"Err ... what do I call you, anyway?"

"Beligore."

"Beligore ... alright. So ... is this part true?" Her finger tapped against a description which had been on the fifth page.

3.The human who becomes the owner of the Death Note can, in exchange of half his/her remaining life, get the eyeballs of the god of death which will enable him/her to see a human's name and remaining life span when looking through them.

A smirk crossed Beligore's lips as he gave an affirmative nod. "I thought that might have gotten your attention. Yes, it is. Every rule in that Death Note is 100% accurate."

Kira! I ... this is how you can find Kira!

Her heart raced in excitement as she let her head fall against the back of her chair. The eyes and this notebook ... they were the keys to her obtaining her goal! Still, was it worth half her remaining life and being denied the ability to enter Heaven or Hell? The crimson orbs hid briefly away as she closed them and thought long and hard on everything.

What are you fucking waiting for?! This is what you've wanted! It's perfect! So why are you hesitating?!

The answer was simple, even if foolish. Part of Sakura was genuinely scared. At the same time, however, if this truly worked ... it would definitely be worth everything.

"Alright. Maybe .. if I can see for myself ... I'll think on it."

"On ... ??"

"The eyes."

Beligore's smirk widened as he watched Sakura grab a pen and flip to the first empty page. After swallowing nervously yet again, the name and details of the man who took her parents' lives appeared on the page.

Hitsuki Takeda, shot to death
At 22:30, a man without any sanity will approach Hitsuki and demand him to surrender his money. Hitsuki will refuse. In response to being denied, the man pulls a pistol out and shoots Hitsuki right in his head. The man leaves the gun upon Hitsuki's chest, making it look like a suicide and runs away. Hitsuki dies seconds after the bullet hits it's mark.

Even as Sakura finished writing, her hands continued to shake. It wasn't for long .. but she still had to wait. While there was time, she turned the TV on. If this was real, it would soon be announced. And she wanted to see this with her very own eyes.

A man was found dead yesterday in the back alley of the downtown mall. Local reporter Noriko Okano joins us on the scene for more.

Thank you Iwakuro-sama. Twenty-nine year old Hitsuki Takeda was found dead last night, from a bullet wound to the brain. Witnesses say they heard a loud bang at about ten thirty and when they investigated, found Hitsuki dead in the alley where I'm standing now, the weapon responsible grasped to his chest. The police were called in and initial reports suggest suicide, but no official comment has been made.

What makes this case particularly interesting is that Hitsuki Takeda was in fact, the primary suspect for a very similar case to this one. When asked if this was somehow Kira's judgement, police denied Kira's involvement stating that the suspicions surrounding Hitsuki Takeda were never released to the press due to a lack of evidence. Back to you.

Thank you Noriko Okano. In other news, a large truck carrying apples overturned on the highway today when...

Kira flipped to the next news channel. Suicide, huh? It seemed unlikely... but perhaps the new age dawning on the world was too much to take. If this Hitsuki person was responsible, then the guilt of his actions and the fear of Kira may have overtaken his senses. Imagine if more like him occurred. Criminals unable to sleep, every day looking over their shoulder, knowing their current heartbeat might be their last as Kira rains judgement upon them. It'd certainly make his job easier if they started killing themselves off for him.

Kira tapped the end of his pen lightly against the notebook. Unlikely. Chances were another murderer was at play here. Well it was only a matter of time before the police figured it out. Then they would be caught.
And they would be judged.

Even as Sakura watched the same news that - unbeknownst to her - Kira was also watching, she still could hardly believe it. It had worked. She'd avenged her parents! And all by using the Death Note! It really had been that easy! She slowly turned to face Beligore, giggling as if she were a young, immature school girl. "Amazing ... " she murmured, shaking her head. "I just ... holy hell."

"You enjoyed it then?"

"You fucking kidding?! That ... was definitely one of the best adrenaline rushes ever! And --- it's finally a right step in the direction!" Her mouth began to open to request the eyes. The sight of Beligore raising a hand made her stop.

"I'm curious about a few things before I go through with giving you the eyes. I'll do it, don't worry. Just .. amuse me. Now, how do you intend to keep doing this and not get caught?"

"I wasn't going to kill every single criminal; just those I deem who deserve it. That seemed to be the mistake this first Kira has made and why it got attention. He used his - maybe her - book far too much and got attention on him immediately in the process. Besides, you heard the news. They don't even think Kira is involved with what I did."

Beligore nodded before tossing out the next inquiry. "So how do you intend to go about finding Kira once you get the ideas? You may have to draw attention to yourself."

Sakura shot an annoyed glare at him as her eyes went over her breasts. It was clear she had considered that possibility but hadn't wanted to think of it just yet. Now that her Shinigami was making her think about it, however, she tried to think of answers. Her fingers lightly tapped on her hip before she nodded and spoke up. "Well, depending on how this goes, I can do it the quiet way or the ... not-so-silent way. Maybe Kira will have a different aura of sorts. Hell, the person may now be labeled as Kira, simply because he's taken up this persona and role for so long. But ... if that isn't the case .... I'll figure a way to ask for his help. A broadcast akin to how he did one when he declared himself as Kira. If I do go through with that, however, I'm going to wait to obtain and buy some certain .. tools."

An amused smirk showed Beligore was more than satisifed with the replies. "Heh, alright. So, you still want them?"

"Yes." The reply came with almost no hesitation.

Needing to hear no more, Beligore raised a skeletal hand and pressed it firmly against Sakura's eyes. Even with all of the darkness surrounding her, she would indeed feel ... something changing. It was hard to explain. But it definitely stung quite a bit. Finally, as he pulled his hand away, the deal had been completed.

"You have them now."

Sakura let her own smirk cross her face. She hadn't yet tested it for herself, but there was an easy idea on how to do this. All she had to do was sleep for now and test it on others when she woke up. Granted, Beligore seemed, at the very minimum, like a Shinigami who would keep his word. But it was always much better to be safe than sorry. If he had taken half of her remaining life but not been given what she desired ... well ... she'd cross that bridge when she arrived. Sakura was so ecstatic that she forgot he was still there as she tossed her clothes off and slipped into a silk robe.

As she slid under her covers, Sakura actually felt happy for one of the first times in her life since the murder of her parents. Things were finally going to change, and for the better too.

School.
As always, Winter Break ended far too quickly. While once Light welcomed returning to the educational hallways, now Kira found it a deplorable waste of his time. Learning and staying up to date on current events was always valuable, but before, there was no purpose. Now that Kira had his purpose, now that he was this world's God, it all seemed so mundane and meaningless.

He would go through it of course. To join the NPA officially he would have to, and to maintain his cover as Light he would need to continue to play the star pupil. He would arrive exactly four minutes before class started and take his seat, making some irrelevent small talk to his 'friends'. He would take minor notes of important information, ace any pop quiz they had, devestate any challengers to a tennis match, and repeat as necessary.

The whole pretending to grieve over Misa's death he kept to himself, feeling no need to share that with those who didn't know much about it anyways. If it came up, he could play the part of forcing his smile all day long, but it never did. Kira glanced over at the empty desk L used the few times he was here.
School was so boring now.

As quickly as the break arrived, it soon ended. Sakura had kept true to her word and been careful on using the Death Note too often. Aside from avenging her parents, she used it another time to get rid of a rapist who had been allowed to freely wander the streets. Otherwise, everything stayed the same with the thoughts to her first murder; no one even began to guess there was another person who had a Death Note in their possession. Did they not know there was more than one notebook?

Honestly? Sakura wouldn't blame them. Hell, she hadn't known of it until Beligore let it land in front of her that fated night. The memory made her smile.

However, as the alarm clock went off, a low groan elicited from her lips. It took a few glances up at the clock for Sakura to remember today was going to be her first day at Daikoku Private Academy. It had, supposedly, been one of her parents' last wishes, for her to attend there. They had paid for her tuition before her passing and were going to surprise her with the news on Christmas. Of course, the latter wasn't able to be done for .. reasons.

"I still don't know ... " she murmured, sighing as she got out of bed and glanced down at the uniform, frowning slightly. Behind her came the chuckle of Beligore, whom she had rather quickly adjusted to being around her, whether she was getting dressed or not.

"If I didn't know better, all schools have ulterior motives for teenage girls nowadays," Beligore mused, his eyes mainly focused upon the skirt and it's length, or lack of rather.

"Tch, I know, right? Ugh." After a few more minutes of staring, Sakura gave a defeated sigh and began to get dressed. She looked up and down herself and groaned. She should have felt sexy. But instead, Sakura was feeling as if she were jailbait and really didn't want to walk in such ... tempting clothing. "... Hey, Beligore?"

"Hm?"

"Mind accompanying me ... at least until I see the gates?"

"Why not use the notebook in my stead?"

"You fucking kidding?! If anyone else saw that then you .. you know how dangerous that would be for me?!"

The chuckle from Beligore signaled he'd merely been pulling her leg. "I know, I know. Fine, I can do that since no one else can see me for now."

"...Yaro .... " Sakura murmured, a small but very genuine smile actually crossing her face. "Seriously though, thanks. I thought though that Shinigamis had to be mostly neutral." she mused while heading out after grabbing all of her needed possessions, mainly her backpack which contained all the books and binders.

"We do. But I've never had an owner who thought ahead like you do. So, you interest me. That being said, it'd be boring for me to allow anyone to do anything bad to you now wouldn't it?"

"... I see."

The rest of the walk went in silence until finally, the academy came into view of Sakura's crimson orbs. After staring at the school for a few moments, she took a deep breath before walking in. The first few minutes resulted in her wandering around the school with a confused look on her face. Between the help of a teacher who had been in the halls plus recalling her roster and schedule were both in her backpack, she used the two to help guide herself to the correct destination.

The same instructor who was Light's homeroom teacher soon walked in. He'd hinted for Sakura to wait a few moments outside the door, albeit doing so out of view from the students. Now that he was in, however, he cleared his throat. Once the class went silent, he began to speak.

"Today, we have a new student joining us. I expect you all to behave and treat her with respect. Please welcome Miss Sakura Takesho."

Hearing her cue to walk inside, Sakura stepped into the classroom. Over the break, she had seen how others now looked to her, with their names and how much time they had left above their heads. It was still an odd sight and not quite something she'd fully adjusted to. Her head tilted slightly as one particular name got her attention; Light Yagami. She couldn't pinpoint it .. but it almost ... felt and even looked different to her eyes.

"Miss Takesho, please sit beside Mr. Yagami."

Sakura waited for the teacher to 'direct' her to Light, since she wasn't supposed to know which face was his, before taking her seat and sitting beside Light, sliding the backpack off of her shoulders.

"Morning," she whispered softly, beginning to gather her supplies as the teacher began to start teaching the class.

The teacher finally arrived and got the students settled. Light Yagami quieted and listened dutifully as he opened up. The news about the new student was a surprise and Light tilted his head ever so slightly as the teacher announced her. It wasn't unheard of, granted, but it was a still a little unusual.

As Sakura stood at the front of the class being introduced, Light eyed her over to a get a general feel of his new classmate. She had her beauty, certainly and an air about her that was hard to pin down, but incredibly familiar. Most of all, she seemed reserved... but not the quiet, shy kind.

Light joined the students in the chorus of welcomes that echoed through the classroom. He raised his eyebrow when the teacher chose to have her sit next to Light, in L's old seat. Sure the information had been passed along that Ryuzaki would no longer be attending, but... it still seemed a sort of desecration. Ryuk even chuckled as Sakura took the seat.

But it was silly really. It couldn't be helped either way and he couldn't fault the teacher for using the resources available to him. Light put on his most charming smile and whispered back.

"Good morning. Welcome to Daikoku." Light took up his pen as class started proper. He would be sure to offer to show her around after class if she hadn't already, as any polite, perfect student would.

Every now and again, Sakura tried to sneak glances at Light's name hovering above his head. Every time, it had that same feeling of somehow being unique and different simultaneously. She couldn't place her finger on it but ... this Light person wasn't just a typical high school student like herself. There was something else. Even with how he responded in a more normal way, it didn't make her change her mind. The charm, however, definitely did get her attention. It was a damn good change of pace to finally experience.

A small but honest smile crossed her face as she bowed her head back. "Thanks. I look forward to my first day."

Usually, time didn't pass by too quickly. Today, however, seemed to be different. Why was beyond Sakura but lunch soon approached. And when it did, she cursed at herself. Of all the things she'd remembered or forgotten, how in the hell had it been her own meal?

"... Tch, baka ... " she scolded herself, sighing as she sat down at an unoccupied table.

The rest of the day had at least gone better than the here and now. Light had been in all of her classes thus far and the same sensation of intrigue and curiosity lingered over him. It almost made her feel guilty she was trying to assume something that was likely stupid of her.

Maybe he is just normal, just a high schooler?

It wasn't an impossible thought. But without getting to know him, there was no way to really prove this theory.

Still though, that task would be much easier to do if she had gotten his attention. And although Light had treated her as an actual person, there was a part of Sakura that was terrified - expecting even - it to all be just an act.

Maybe you're over-thinking this?

Gods, she wanted to be. But there had just been too many negative experiences with people besides her parents. It wasn't quite paranoia. She just was very overly-cautious. More than she should be, yes. But Sakura couldn't forget the last times she'd let herself get close and how it always turned into some form of betrayal or backstabbing.

Sakura kept sneaking looks at him, of this Light was certain by her third or fourth glance by his estimation. He was blessed with good looks as befitting a kami, but this felt different. Perhaps she had heard of his skills from someone? It would seem most unlikely since she just joined today and hasn't seemed to have greeted anyone with any sort of familiarity. What was it then? Light would have an easier time with it if Ryuk would quit with his unending chuckling. He was particularly amused today and Light would love to have an apple to shut him up.

Regardless, if she held interest in him, it was his duty to find out why and capitilze on it. While it was doubtful she'd never be of help to Kira, she could always benefit Light.

After classes dragged to lunch break, Light stepped out, following Sakura to where she seemed to be in the process of chastising herself for something. The lack of a lunch bag made it somewhat clear what she was probably upset about. Best not to draw attention to it though.

Light stepped up towards her, exuding a warm, comforting smile. "Excuse me, Takesho-san? I was hoping I might be able to treat you to lunch today to celebrate your first day. You don't have any plans or anything, right?"

As Sakura sat in silence, she mulled over and thought on certain things to do. A bit of altering in her background would definitely be needed. And this didn't just apply to Light but anyone in the school. Any person with enough common sense could have linked the death of her parents to Hitsuki. All that needed to be done was enough research. So, she had already mentally chosen to use something else that wouldn't have a name to trace, like an airplane accident. More specifically, caused by some terrorists. Those bastards almost never had their names announced on the media. Yeah, it sounded good. This way, she could keep her identity and the fact she owned a Death Note safe.

Sakura had been ready to plan the next part, only to forget it, likely due to lack of food and a migraine. Her teeth gripped her lower lip in annoyance. She was more than ready to just wait for the day to end and endure skipping a meal for being too hasty. But then, he spoke, making her head turn as she faced him.

"You ... you can just use Sakura but thanks anyway. Um ... " Her head slowly shook from side to side, "No, I don't have any plans. I almost never do, honestly. What'd you have in mind?"

As she stood up and prepared to follow Light, a voice from behind her damn well nearly made her jump.

"He should have a neon sign hovering over his head along with his name."

... Son of a bitch! Doesn't he know how stupid it'd look if I talked back?!

As annoyed at Beligore as she was, Sakura first tried to focus on his words. Were they supposed to be a hint of some sort?

Neon sign? For ... wait. Is ... ?!

Was he trying to suggest the same man that she had been looking for - Kira - was also Light?!

For a few moments, Sakura actually almost felt like she was going to faint. This was almost too much but in a more positive way. Before she just jumped to any assumption, however, she'd need actual proof; mainly the sight of his own notebook. Until then, she'd try to figure ways to get and stay close in order to do just this.

"So, you this nice to all the girls?" she inquired, making an attempt to tease with him. If he had noticed her reactions from Beligore, she wanted to make them not-so-obvious or able to be forgotten about.

Light gave a gentle laugh. "All right Sakura. Call me Light. I know a lovely cafe just around the corner," Light suggested. It was the same cafe that he brought L to, yet all the reasons still applied. A nice quiet place where no one would pay undue attention to them.

After all, Sakura seemed... jumpy and even faint at one point when he brought up going to eat. Could be several reasons for that. Could be first day nervousness, which would frankly be appalling for anyone who made it this far in their education in the first place. It would still be preferable to the fangirl crush aspect that might be in play, though at least it would be a crush on Light and not Kira. Much more manageable than Misa. There was always the chance that this girl actually had an eating disorder though. It would explain her lack of lunch and apparent nervousness around going to get some. That theory would be easily tested soon enough. Granted... there was another option... but no, that was just too unlikely.

Light gave a second charming laugh. "Only on their first day. Or if they interest me." Light gave a wry smile, allowing the counter-statement to prod and poke to test his theories.

There was no point in lingering. He turned to lead the way, idly chatting as they walked. "So what made you join second semester? Most people would just wait for the start of the year." Perhaps she transferred from somewhere to start life anew for some reason or another. Or she didn't get in the first time she applied. The answer would be somewhat telling as to who he's dealing with at least.

Sakura had been ready to ask for Light to lead on but he seemed to take initiative with that. It was an interesting sight, one that made her smile. Honestly, not enough teenagers - guys especially - had nearly as much nerve or took certain steps as well as Light was. If she didn't know better, this almost sounded more like a date then an offer. But ... no. There was no way she'd done that in a matter of several classes .. had she?

Regardless, there was one thing that she was sure of. And it involved the being flying behind her. She'd purposely stayed a few steps behind Light in case of needing to do something like this. Her hand raised then waved in front of her face, as if shooing an insect away. It was the best method Sakura could think of to talk to him and not sound crazy at the same time.

The gesture made Beligore chuckle. "You sure? You've never cared about me seeing you get dressed or whatnot."

If Sakura could, she'd gladly sneak in a glare. But she restrained herself, continuing to ignore him. That, if anything, seemed to suffice and soon the Shinigami got the hint. He flew up and away, joining the other birds high up in the sky.

An inward sigh of relief echoed as he finally left. Yes, it did seem stupid for her to be so nervous on him coming along when she hadn't cared about things like Beligore watching her get dressed or stripping. But .. somehow, this felt like one of those times she just needed to be alone. It made sense to her in some form or fashion, one she couldn't pinpoint very well.

"I'm going to guess both of those apply to me then?" she added, finally mustering the courage to walk beside Light now.

Finally, a new question - one of the many she'd tried to prepare for, in fact - came up. She thought carefully on it, making damn well certain it sounded reasonable yet also making sure it wouldn't sound suspicious.

"It was my parent's wish." she said, deciding to say the honest truth. "They've always wanted the best for me and done all they can to help out with that. I'll admit I wasn't sure at first just because it seemed similar enough to the other high schools. But I did like the fact they got a few extra credit classes for Criminal Justice included. It's .. a field of work where there aren't enough people who give a genuine damn need to be. And I want to help out in that department, somehow. I haven't really pieced all the details for myself just yet. But I'm getting there; trying to, anyway."

Sakura had decided to let Light continue to ask most of the questions. If her answers seemed too desperate or like she was trying to prove herself constantly, that alone may bring up doubts about her also. Thus, she'd left off, for now, certain other parts of the truth, though they could be guessed. The main one had been referring to her parents' wish being their last one and her desire to work in Criminal Justice. To Sakura, she already was working in that field and - so far - doing a better job than most others.

"Hah. You could certainly say that." Light was glad when she caught up beside him. He couldn't watch and study her if she were behind him the whole way, but he couldn't justify leading the way to the restaurant without going first. Side by side is the best he could hope for.

Her parent's wish, huh? That made sense, though why the middle of the year like that didn't. Then again, parents did tend to be out of touch with reality if his dad was any indication. Ah well, it did not seem terribly important.

Criminal Justice on the other hand, was far more interesting. Did she know Light was on the same path? Did she know he was the son of the Chief of the NPA? Or was she interested in the Kira task force? No... how could she know about that, being a mere recent transfer? That couldn't be it. Still, here he was Light, not Kira.

"Oh? I'm in the Criminal Justice department myself. I want to join the NPA myself. There's more people there that care about justice than you know." Kira didn't really believe that entirely, but Light did well enough. After all, he admired his father to an extent.

"Why don't you think they care?" That was an attitude not many held. Usually only those who had been oppressed by the injustices in the system and the criminals in the street. Those who worshipped Kira... no. Can't conclude that. Amongst those who disliked the police, a few outliers still opposed Kira's new world. It was unfathomable and illogical, but it happened. Which was she?

They arrived at the place in no time and Light led her to the only table available... the one he sat at with L. Surprisingly busy even for lunch, but the table did still provide excellent privacy. Ryuk was on an absolute giggle fest all over again. At least Light had a lot of practice ignoring the shinigami.

She'd heard very vague bits of information about all of the above, especially the NPA and Kira task force; much more the latter. Luckily for Light, she still wasn't exactly sure on what path of Criminal Justice she wanted to go down. There was always the ability to go to Interpol, transfer to the States and work for the FBI or CIA, or work for a Japanese equivalent. Granted, the last would very likely lead her right back to him but hell, she hadn't intentionally known that. Her interests had been in finding Kira and they still remained that way.

Just now, she found herself becoming more and more intrigued and interested with the man beside her; something that she had not anticipated would even dare begin to happen. But if it was part of Light's idea to charm her and make her tempted to fall for him .. it was definitely working at a gradual but definite pace.

"Oh? If I didn't know better, I'd say some form of fate made sure we wound up together," It was partly true but not only. The odd aura she had noted upon seeing his name, let alone that she continued to notice, definitely got her attention. Sakura was working on her end to make sure she could stay nearby and learn more about this Light person. That was maybe the main thing that made her feel even the slightest bit guilty about seeming as if she were using him; she was definitely beginning to take a liking to him.

But ... this had to be done, for herself more than anything else.

So, what are you going to do if he is Kira?

Her heart pounded as she tried to think on that answer. She'd think about that while eating, Sakura decided. Right now, there was a much more important question to reply to, another that she had to be careful with answering. When a satisfactory reply entered her head, she nodded and began to speak.

"Six months ago, my parents had to take a business trip on an airplane. It got taken over by terrorists and crashed. No one made any real efforts to do anything. Granted, I realize it would have been hard to find names and even more difficult to get the bastards and interrogate them. No one, apparently, survived. But .... "

Her teeth gripped her lower lip as the true memory began to haunt her, making her fists clench.

"I just ... how had that been missed?! I mean, shouldn't security have caught them even before they got on that plane?! There ... I feel like there were so many more steps that could have and should have been taken! Now because of the lack of effort security has put, I've been trying to get by the past half year. Inheritances only last so long and thankfully, I should have enough for a while. But I've still been thinking of getting a job after school; just in case."

The last part on seeking out employment was actually very true. Anything involving the plane, however, was definitely a lie; not that Light needed to know though.

As they walked into the cafe, she pondered whether to bring Kira up or not .. and decided against it. For now. If he mentioned him, that would be one thing. But she'd wait for a better opportunity to do so herself.

Finally, Light would see her begin to relax as her fists unclenched and Sakura took a long, deep breath. "Sorry. If it hasn't been obvious ... I've been trying to keep what sanity I have left. You're the first person outside family who has genuinely treated me like an actual person. I get .. a lot of hell, especially for these." Her right index finger tapped underneath a crimson eye.

"Yeah, I know I look like some demon or whatnot. But it's not like I need to fucking hear it."

An embarrassed chuckle passed her lips as she grabbed the menu.

"Heh, sorry. I sometimes rant at times. I .. really do appreciate everything so far though. I hope you know that."

An honest smile crossed her face as her eyes began to scan the menu, trying to figure out what to order for herself. From what Sakura could assume, her own game of half-lies and half-truths was actually working. In fact, it seemed to be as successful as Light charming her, be it intentional or otherwise. She couldn't help but wonder, however, his true feelings on her. Was he just going to be another who would use her in the end? Or did he really mean it when he'd said he had taken an interest in her?

It was selfish, but Sakura was definitely secretly hoping that - regardless of if he was Kira or not - it would be the latter. She had been dead serious about telling Light he had been one of the first people who made her feel human, normal, in a long time. She wanted to keep feeling this good somehow. But if it could be helped, she might finally be able to have a lot more confidence on moving on and properly grieving. It'd still be doable and hard if this wasn't true. All the same, it would be more satisfying if this was all real and not some tantalizing dream Sakura was experiencing.

"So, what got you into Criminal Justice anyway?" she added while still looking over the menu. "Hopefully not some tragedy like myself."

"Fate?" the term rolling off Light's tongue as if he were a particularly amused cat. "Do you think a kami is watching over us?" It was a subtle question. Anyone who didn't know about the Shinigami wouldn't think twice about it. Someone who had suspicions of Light, who might know more than they should, could get caught off guard and let something slip. It was a probe, and one Sakura set up herself. The perfect kind. Though it'd hardly be perfect evidence for his paranoia.

Light listened somberly to Sakura's tale about her parents, his hands in his pockets. The story felt... off. He didn't instantly remember anything about a plane crash. But then, thinking back, that was when he was confined by L and an amnesiac. By the time he got out, the story was probably buried and far from the focus of his mind. It did feel odd that Sakura claimed nothing was being done. Countries usually made a big deal about terrorists and plane crashes. But her emotions definitely came off strong. Light could act and her rage and pain was no act. Perhaps she was simply angry they hadn't been caught yet, in addition to the anger she had over the terrorists not being stopped before hand. The timing would also explain why she joined school late. Chances are, she was telling the truth. Light would have to look up the plane her parents were on and find out what he could about the terrorists. Kira couldn't let something like that go unpunished.

"I am sorry for your loss," Light offered. His condolences were the only thing he could give at the time, but he swore justice would be offered later as his personal gift.

The mood considerably lightened when they got inside, fortunately enough. As he sat in the booth, he took the time to stare straight into her eyes. "I think they're beautiful myself. But they're not contacts?" Natural red eyes were an oddity to say the very least.

Light picked up his own menu and glanced over the choices despite it being unnecessary. He long since memorized the options available. It gave his hands something to do however, something he found more habitual of him since the Death Note. He'd be more comfortable with a pen in his hand, but a menu sufficed.

"No, nothing like that at all, really. My dad is actually chief of the NPA and I've always admired him. So I study to follow in his footsteps really. He's a great man." But at the end of the day he was just a man and a misguided one at that.

Sakura knew perfectly well the real answer would have been something along the lines of yes and even admitting she almost had one staring over her shoulder. But if this was also the same person who was Kira, she had to think about her replies carefully. While staring down at her menu, Sakura finally gave a nonchalant shrug. "Possibly. I've never been one for the more paranormal claims of life being true. But if anyone can prove me right, wrong, or otherwise, I can easily become a believer or the opposite. There's a lot in this world no one can ever really predict in terms of what's going to happen or not. It may be fate or it could just merely be coincidence like many tend to believe."

Pride swelled up in Sakura. It seemed like a fair enough answer. With how the two were seeming to play this subtle game of wits against one another, it made her believe more and more that this was indeed Kira; or someone who was very against his methods. One way or another, though, Sakura felt more and more as if she'd hit the jackpot.

Her smile widened as Light gave his consolation for the loss of her parents. "Thanks. I ... hope that didn't come off as trying to earn pity or anything of the like. I just figured you deserved a straight answer."

Her gaze shifted from the menu and right into Light's eyes, as if trying to study his words. ".. Really? Many find them unnatural or intimidating." Her smile widened as her head shook from side to side. "Nope. No contacts. 100% natural."

And finally, whether Light had meant to or not, he'd given Sakura a lead. The NPA and knowing his dad worked there ... hadn't Kira been mentioned by them a few times? Now she had something to look up and find out for herself. Her smile widened, nearly revealing a smirk which she so desperately restrained.

"I bet he is. From what I've seen of you thus far, you're a great person yourself; something I'm guessing you got from your father. Not only, of course, but still."

Her gaze went back down to the menu for but a few seconds before the sounds of footsteps made her head turn to see a waitress beside their table. "May I take your orders?"

"Ah, yes. I'll have some green tea for a drink, teriyaki chicken and white rice, please."

Sakura went quiet, allowing Light to order as she handed the woman her own menu. The waitress stayed beside the table until she finished jotting down Light's order on a small notepad before walking away and going to relay what their meals to the kitchen. Once she was gone, Sakura spoke again.

"So do you have any hobbies? Or is Criminal Justice your biggest one?"

A very noncommital answer. Fifty or a hundred years ago it might have been suspicious, but in this age of tolerance not taking a strong stance was par. Kira didn't much care for it himself, though he could at least respect the openness to new ideas. Ultimately it told him nothing.

So he merely moved on. "Of course. Thank you for your honesty," Light said in regards to her 'straight' answer.

And it turns out those eyes were natural. How very unusual. "Being different doesn't make them any less lovely. Did you get them from your mother or your father?" It might be a slightly sore spot, but then maybe it'd help to remember them fondly. A bit of a gamble, perhaps.

Light smiled at her compliments, considering the most gracious way to accept them when the waitress arrived. "I'll take the same, but sweet and sour instead of teriyaki please," he requested handing over his menu and watching her head off before returning his attention to Sakura.

"Pretty much just the latter. I help my dad on cases sometimes, but beyond that studying for the NPA takes up most of my time. If I get free time, I usually spend it with friends." Of course studying usually included current events, 'chasing Kira' and being Kira. He just didn't have time for frivolous things like hobbies. "How about yourself? What do you like to do?"

That same sensation of pride only continued to grow in Sakura. She was doing it! She was maintaining her cover pretty damn well! And all while more or less getting a date; or at least an outing. Right now, she felt like one of the luckiest people alive. Her head merely moved in an up and down gesture as he thanked her for her honesty. Then .. an inquiry on her eyes arrived. Only a few seconds of hesitation hovered over them before she replied, "My mom. She always tried to encourage me to embrace them. Sometimes ... it's easier said than done. But maybe I should." she mused.

Her smile widened. Despite the somewhat sensitive topic of her parents being brought up, Sakura was genuinely enjoying herself. How long had it been since she'd had fun? Too long it seemed, given she couldn't immediately remember that answer when she tried to think about it.

"Fair enough," she replied, nodding after thinking about the idea of balancing studying and assisting with any cases he was asked to help out with. "If nothing else, it sounds like a good way to practice. Lucky. You'll probably have an easier time than most getting into the Criminal Justice department. You already have a pretty damn good head start with basically everything, certainly terminology and knowledge. Myself? Heh. I .. haven't really focused on myself much. I ... I've been trying to get out of my funk. It hasn't really been working. Not until now anyway."

"But ... when I feel more content, I usually write, read, listen to music, or some combination of all of the above. It's typically done during pretty much anything; schoolwork, chores, whatever. Gotta keep myself outta trouble somehow." she added, making an effort to further lighten up the atmosphere and mood.

Light was learning a fair bit. And as interesting as the red-eyed beauty in front of him who seemed to be enjoying herself was, he wasn't finding what he wished to know about. Her furtive glances in the classroom. Her nervousness upon being approached. None of his earlier thoughts seemed to have panned out. Was she really just crushing on him or was there something deeper? With the double life he led he couldn't afford to just ignore the possibility, but his probes were hitting seemingly dead ends.

It was time to change tact then and take a page or two from L's book. The best defense was a good offense. It was time to see if Light couldn't catch her off balance.

"Staying out of trouble is a good thing. I'd hate to have to arrest you. Not to mention Kira's punishment would come down on you." Thankfully by now, Kira's name had become household. His world was slowly coming to fruition and everyone knew it. There was a joking tone in Light's voice despite the topic at hand.

He leaned forward a little, changing to a more direct route. "So why were you staring at me in school today?" Few, especially in Japan, would have the forwardness to ask such a question. His eyes unrelentingly searched hers as the question hovered over the conversation.

The reply, let alone mere mentioning of Kira, definitely got Sakura's attention. She stayed silent, wondering how to go about answering this. Admittedly, the topic had indeed been one she had been purposely waiting for him to start up. Now that he had accepted and done so, however, she temporarily found herself just a bit clueless. Not completely, but enough that her mind was racing quickly, along with her heart. She chuckled softly, finally beginning to speak for a few moments.

"Ahh, yes. Kira. He's been silent from what I've heard - or haven't heard - on the news as of late. Sorry, I had to think of it. He is quite the interesting figure, especially for those who wish to go into the Criminal Justice field, isn't he? Honestly though? Even if I did get into really deep trouble ... I'm not scared of him. Mind you, the major keyword there is if. I'll indulge you in the what-if thought by answering. But that'd never happen, rest assured."

Thankfully, the waitress returned with their meals, setting their respective plates in front of them both. Sakura's head bowed politely as she separated her chopsticks.

"Itadekimasu," she murmured softly, beginning to take a bite of her teriyaki chicken. The wheels in her head continued to turn -- no, spin furiously -- as she ate, using the meal to her advantage.

Should you even add more? Or has that been enough?

When Light hinted he'd noticed her sneaking peeks at him during class, however, it made her temporarily forget as she coughed a bit, managing to at least keep herself from spitting anything out. Waiting for herself to finish swallowing first, Sakura let out an embarrassed smile.

".... Oops. Guess I wasn't as discreet as I thought. Well - I would say forgive me for being blunt but since you are, it would appear to be my turn. I would have thought, however, the answer is simple; you're very handsome."

Purposely allowing a brief pause to linger over them, Sakura used the time to sip some of her tea.

"Like I said," she added as the Sakura set the glass down. "I'm sorry if that came off as too much. And yet ... I'm not going to apologize, not for being honest anyway."

The reply Sakura gave felt a tad forced and rambling, particularly considering Light's comment could easily be taken as an off-hand joke. As if the very mention of Kira got her flustered. Admittedly, that could be normal for someone in her position, especially considering her parents. Any more forward digging in that direction would seem suspicious.

"Of course, of course. Didn't think it would," Light gives a reassuring smile as the food arrives. He thanks the waitress as well and as the pallor of thought driven silence eeks its way in between the two, Light picks up his chopsticks and begins carefully eating his rice.

And then, the confession. Honestly whether it were true or not, a mild crush would be the only reasonable answer any half-way competent person could give. It spoke to her intelligence at the very least that she didn't try a half-assed lie to deflect the question. Still the answer worked well for him. Now he could pursue her at his leisure. Should he feel the need, he could always ask her out later on a more proper date and she would very highly likely oblige, be it out of intelligence or lust.

"It's quite all right. And thank you. It's always a nice compliment to hear." There was that warm, all-encompassing, always friendly smile Light had. Kira's concerns had been assuaged for now and he had an in if there was need to pursue it again. For now, he could just relax and enjoy his meal with Sakura.

Finally, the battle of wits had seemed to end. For now, anyway. But as far as Sakura was concerned, it had been a draw. Each got one another to give hints that the other could use. The NPA was by far the biggest one. Not to say she didn't trust Beligore. But she had to make damn well sure if he'd seen -- no, no. Not if he'd seen but if the Shinigami was indeed telling the truth that Kira was literally across from her. His name read off as the same, no matter how many times she read it; Light Yagami. Still, it did seem .. like there was something almost unique on the way it was written. But she couldn't pinpoint it. Maybe after both food and the date, Sakura would ponder more on it.

Partly from being in the midst of a bite and also to avoid saying anything that may grab the wrong attention, she merely gave Light her own smile as he acknowledged her own confession.

Not tonight ..

She had thought about testing herself out, making herself truly known. But .. no. Light would be - literally or otherwise - right on her. She decided it'd be best to wait.

A few days?

Probably. But if she needed to truly be safe, a week wouldn't kill her. Her Death Note could stay hidden until then and no one who needed punishment was going anywhere. Even if Kira decided to work during this time period, it would honestly give her the ability to try to figure him out due to the time of the person's death and such. She saw this as much more of a blessing than a curse.

As Sakura finished her meal, the chopsticks were put on a now empty plate as Sakura stretched.

"Thank you. This was really good. Ah! I hope I haven't kept you here too long. Or .. will the school not mind?"

Back
Top Bottom