Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Beginning Of The End (Xavierroll & IronMaiden24)

IronMaiden24

Super-Earth
//Xavier's opening post, moved it from PMs to the right place//

It all happened so fast it was hard to tell where it started. People just started getting sick and dying and it seemed like it had traveled across the globe before the various governments began taking it seriously. We listened and watched the various reports of events around the world with a feeling of helplessness. Widespread panic began to break out as hospitals around the world were overwhelmed with the sick and dying.

We were insulated from it all, for a while at least. Until we got the call to evacuate the embassies. As our ship steamed up the Adriatic sorties went out to the various Capitals evacuating all 'non-essential' personnel. Mostly family members like wives, and children. The mood was somber but still under control though unrest was beginning to break out, the local governments were holding things together.

We were careful to screen all those we brought for fever or any signs of the illness. We thought that would be enough, but we were wrong. We had hardly gotten the civilians onto a transport for the trip back home when the first Marines began to fall ill. Before we knew it sick bay was beginning to fill up, then the first deaths came. This wasn't a disease for the old and frail, these were healthy fighting men.

The world was beginning to fall apart, even in the states there was trouble. Panic was setting in and it was bringing out the worst in people. My squad, well what was left of my squad, was tasked with security for evacuating everyone from the embassy in Sarajevo. It was pretty rare for an embassy to be completely evacuated, it was like the fall of Saigon or something like that.

As we flew in we could see fires burning all around. There were a few mob scenes that we could see, though it would have been worse but for all the sick and dying. It seemed like I was the only healthy member of the group though I kept quiet about it. Even the pilots seemed to be falling ill which made me a bit nervous. As we landed in the embassy compound only a handful of the staff was there ready to go and they looked like hell. We set up a perimeter and waited while all the staff was gathered onto the birds.

As we looked out it was like nothing we had ever seen before. Those that were still well enough were looting and taking anything useful and edible for themselves. It was like a free for all, the last death thralls of civilization. There were gunshots in the distance but no one challenged us directly. It was a good thing too, most of my men were about whipped, one even delirious. Once we got the all clear we headed back to the last bird. I carried the worst of my men on my shoulders, several others getting help from the healthier ones. We were a pretty sad looking fighting force, but somehow I still felt fine.

From the back, I couldn't see the blue waters of the Adriatic coming into view but I could smell it in the air. I always felt a bit safer over the water, probably because that is where our ships were. But when the second pilot started to lose it that feeling of safety disappeared. We could feel the bird begin to drop off sideways. Several Marines tried to take the controls but flying a helicopter isn't like a video game. We were going down, that much was clear.

I don't remember any of it, but I was thrown clear just before the Super Stallion burst into flames. A quick and violent death for my comrades, perhaps better than what would have otherwise been in store for them. I lay face down unconscious safely clear of the wreck, but surely the thick black smoke of the burning fuel would attract someone.

"Not the best day to be out-and-about." I thoght, looking out thru the side-vindow at the pandemonium in the streets, looting, pilaging, and marginaly-controled chaos, as our armored van moved tovard its destination... one of the hospitals in Dubrovnik vhere the police and elements of the Croatian military vere providing security for the ever-growing number of critical patients being delivered.

This particular hospital vas so important, because it vas the only one in the city vith its own autonomus backup power suply, so it stayed fuly kuarantined and secure even vhen the power vent down thruout the city, capable of providing best posible care for the sick. It vas critical to not alow it to be looted and ransacked, like vhat hapened to most public-service buildings alredy, including a pair of other hospitals.

I brifly glanced around at the rest of the team in the van. Two vere very pale in the face under the helmets, eyes slightly glazed and svaying a litle vhere they sat, shoving clear signs of dizease them-selvs, but making a heroic efort not to let it get to them, griping their VHS assault rifles tightly to hide the fact ther hands vere shaking. One vas siting next to me so I culd see his distres clearly. Three more didnt look too good either but their facial color vas closer to normal, and their hands, relaxed, vere not shaking. And then there vas me, driving the van, and one other, vho still felt reasonably vell.

Turning my atention back to the road, carefuly avoiding the debris and junk spread all over the place, I vondered at that. Not that I vas at my best by any means, far from it, a perzistent slight head-ache vith me ever since yesterday, but that vas all. In the news it vas said how this mystery disease sems to afect diferent people to diferent degrees, and that age and life-style had litle to do vith it. Vhile I made it a point thru-out life never to rely on, or even acknovledge the existence of, luck... I had to admit no other explanation made sense. Not that it matered... given hov many people I known have been afected, including members of my ovn family... vorking hard to supres tears.

Sudenly I vas snaped-out of that line of thoght by a radio-call, informing us of a helicopter crash not far from the city, vith instructions for us to divert and investigate. Aproximate location vas included. We acknovledged the orders, and I turned the van around, aiming for one of the city exits. Given the location of the crash, I estimated about 30 minutes to get there.

I don't know how long I lay there but I awoke to the sound of a vehicle stopping and foot steps. It was like my brain was rebooting, taking inventory of arms and legs. Everything seemed there and working, my head hurt but that wasn't surprising. What the hell happened?Recent events began to come back to me and I suddenly rolled over, too fast I think as my vision was blurry and shifting. My immediate thought was where was my rifle? I couldn't see well enough to shoot but it was more instinct than anything. I felt around a bit but it wasn't nearby. I still had my side arm, which I consider drawing as I saw several figures begin to approach. It was still hard to think straight but we were not shot down, we were not at war with these people. I blinked several more times as my vision began to focus.

I blinked again as their leader appeared to be a woman, a pretty woman at that. I know it is cliche but I couldn't help thinking about having died and gone to heaven. Her face was pretty but she was no angel, though I could see sadness in her eyes, she appeared strong and confident. Who wasn't carrying more than their share of sadness these days? That thought immediately reminded me of the rest of my squad. I put my hand on the grip of my side arm and tried to focus on their leader. I didn't want to provoke them but I hoped I at least appeared able to defend myself. If it were going to be a fight though, it would be a short one, I was outnumbered and outgunned at the moment. I had to hope they were here to help.

"I'm OK, check on the others." I at least sounded confident, much more than I really was. The world was going to hell in a handbasket and here I was trusting in the help of strangers. I wasn't even sure what country we were in at the moment, I know the border ran along the coast. Of course countries were starting to mean less and less as this plague went on. If things kept going as they were, it would be every man, and woman, for themselves soon.

//Bracketed sentences are spoken in Croatian.//

Noticing the man's hand griping his sidearm, I reflexivly shifted-grip on my VHS and aimed it in his direction, hoping he wuld get the message and not try anithing stupid.

<<<"Looks like Americans. Probably a evacuation detail, given that they seem to have civilian pasengers.">>> our sergent stated vhat I suspected my-self too, given this man's non-acented English. Then he given a hand-signal to the rest of us to encircle and inspect the helicopter.

Our sergeant vas one of those most afected by the ilness, but right now looking at him, I culd see he vas doing his best to hide it. He was determined not to display any discomfort, even if his pale and sickly skin was a give-away.

<<<"Shal ve check on the rest, sir?">>> I asked him, motioning at the wrecked helicopter and the bodies insyde, vhich I vasnt sure if they are alive or dead.

<<<"Yes, ckeck them out and get them out of there if they'r alive, corporal, that helicopter is likely to explode any minute.">>> he noded. I saluted and moved-of tovard the helicopted, the rest folowing me.

Then the sergent adressed the man, speaking in English: "I am sergent Alesic of the Croatian army, 6th brigade emergency response group. My soldiers will get your men out of there. Can you identify yourself and state your mission here, and vhy you crashed?"

I had thought her the leader when she was the only one that seemed to react to my hand on my side arm. She aimed her weapon straight at me, we were after all on her turf, she had more duty than I did. The others were walking dead men, I knew the look. "Is there...are there any other survivors?" I felt that was the only duty I had at this time. They spoke in their language, words at least, her pointed weapon said plenty. All but their leader went on to the aircraft, other than my strong little angel, the others were just going through the motions. Maybe it was just because she still had something to live for, just like me. Were we right, were we somehow immune, it seemed unlikely, maybe it would just take longer for us.

The Sargent introduced himself, he was Croatian Army which was good news I suppose. Better than some band of looters in army gear. "I am Corporal Xavier Rollins United States Marines." Somehow my title, as humble as it was helped me to pull back into the here and now. I was able to shift my position but the scene answered my question better then they could. The flaming wreckage of the chopper would hold no survivors, unless they were thrown clear as I was. I could feel my strength returning even as my hopes were smashed. This really was the beginning of the end, if I could even signal my ship would they be able to come get me? Would there be anyone left alive to even take the message?

One thing at a time I suppose. My thoughts became more immediate when sporadic gunshots sounded from the small village down the road. I looked to the Croats to get a feel for what their response would be, was this the new normal? Would they even investigate such things?

Finished vith our check-up on the pasengers of the helicopter, we determined there vere no other survivors. I returned to the sergent vith the rest.

<<<"None alive, sir.">>> before adding to the man in English: "Regretably, all the others are dead."

Something about him caght my atention... he seemed to be rezisting the efects of this strange plague as wel as I was. So far, that made 3 of us. Just as I again began to wonder vhat was it about us that made us more resistant to it, I culd hear gunfire from the direction of Zastolje, a village only a couple kilometers away. Most likely looters or raiders looking for suplies, ever since the plague started people vere going crazy one vay or another. Although, since ve vere very close to the border vith Montenegro, and borders became less and less secure... there vere other posibilities.

The sergent heard it as wel. Despite his obviusly deteriorating condition, now swaying on his feet, he imediately ordered all of us back into the van, to investigate. How-ever, just as he took a step back toward the van... he sudenly collapsed on the ground.

<<<"Sir?!">>> I exclaimed in alarm, kneeling next to him and checking the pulse. The rest grouped next to me, looking anxius. All but 2, I noticed... those 2 lying next to the helicopter, also colapsed. Along vith the sergent, those 3 were the ones most afected by the plague.

There vas no pulse, his eyes were roled-up into his head, his skin deathly vhite. I looked at the others... no words neded to be said. And as the next highest-ranking member of the unit, I also known I was in charge now. So did the others.

<<<"Check them!">>> I ordered, pointing at the 2 next to the helicopter vho also colapsed. I had litle doubt they were dead too...

...a suspicion confirmed several moments later as one of the others looked at me, kneeling next to them, and given me a shake of his head.

"No... VHY IS THIS HAPENING?!" I thought in dismay for posibly the 100th time since this plague started. But I known beter then to show despair in front of the rest. Sick or not, dying or not, ve were still soldiers, and ve still had a job to do. Until the end, vhatever it may be. And right now, that job vas to report-in vith the news on the helicopter crash, then investigate the shooting that culd be heard from Zastolje.

I ordered the remaining 3 troops to board the van and report our status via radio, then turned to the American, svitching to English again: "We'r going to investigate this shooting. You will come vith us, seeing as all your men are dead and there is nothing left here for you. Perhaps you can make yorself useful... in any case vhen we return to the city, you can contact your people if you want, from our comand post. Do you still have your wepon, or did you lose it in the crash?" since I didnt see his rifle, if he had one, anywhere near.

The Sargent was looking pretty pale and he soon collapsed just as his team was reporting back to him. Two others had dropped just from the search for survivors. My head was clearing quickly and I was soon up on my feet. I could see for myself that the crash was not survivable. I said a small prayer for my comrades, and had to feel it was something of a mercy. I looked about for my rifle, I was sure that it would have been thrown along with me. The Croats were talking sense which was a comfort, they were fellow NATO allies after all. They were quickly having more rifles than rifleman but I simply wanted my rifle if at all possible. Perhaps it was crazy but I just needed it, especially with the sound of gunfire nearby.

"I am sorry for your loss" was all I could muster for my strong angel, she now seemed to be taking over. She gave a good calm act, one I was struggling with myself but one could see the pain in her eyes. I don't know if it was better to be home as she was and seeing to things first hand, or being so far away. We were equally helpless it seemed. Just as she asked about my rifle I found mine, it had indeed been thrown just short of my position but landed in some underbrush. I checked it carefully and all seemed in order. For good or ill I guess I was joining the Croatian Army at least until I could contact my ship. Of course that assumed either my ship or the Croat army would survive that long.

I went with them to their armored van, it was unfamiliar to me but I just did as they did. It was strange heading towards the sound of a firefight with strangers. I am sure they were competent, she certainly seemed to be, but I wasn't one of them. I suspect they felt the same about me. One thing was for sure though, I had a feeling she and I would be on our own before too long. It was surprising anyone nearby had enough energy to get into a fight. I busied myself by checking my gear. We had done our embassy mission without expending any ammo so I was all set for at least a short fight. Fortunately I could use the Croatian ammunition if I began to run low. I took the last few moments to look at my strong angel once more. She really was beautiful, I guess it could be worse.

After scavenging the rifles and spare clips from our 3 falen comrades, and vishing them good fortune in vhatever next life awaited them, instead of praying, since I was not religius, at least not any "mainstream" religion, I joined the rest in the van, taking the drivers seat again. I started up the engine, and back-tracked onto the main road again. As ve started in the direction of Zastolje, I turned to the latest temporery member of the team...

"Vhat types of ordnance are you rated in?" I asked the American, vanting to know his qualifications. If ve were indeed going into a combat engagement, I neded to know vhat I culd expect from everyone I vas fighting alongside of. I known my team-mates and their training. He was a unknown.

Also, I didnt miss the... evaluative... looks he was giving me, and it vasnt hard to guess he found me atractive, as most men tended to. Vhile flattered, this vas decidedly not the time to give such thoghts any atention, so I focused on being professional and to the point. Even so, his obvius resilience and determination did... intrigue me...

The 3 remaining soldiers laid out in the back, I didn't think they would last too long though they were certainly doing their best. One got on the radio presumably to report the situation. I wondered how many were left at their HQ to even answer. I went up front and rode shot gun with our new leader. She seemed all business but it had to be becoming clear we were not combat effective, at least not as a military unit. I doubted the 3 in the back would be alive much longer, much less ready to enter a firefight.

I was almost glad to hear her question my abilities, it was the right thing for her to do and I was expecting it. "I am basic infantry a fire team leader and acting squad leader. I can use this quite well, I gestured to my rifle with grenade launcher. I am familiar with the basics of your rifles but haven't fired one." I preferred mine anyway. "I have just a handful of grenades along with several tear gas rounds."

I looked to the back once more then continued. "I think this is mostly going to be you and me. This is your turf so I will follow your lead but I think we both know things are falling apart all over, not just here." I think the shock of the crash and being alone helped me accept the magnitude of the situation. She was still, at least nominally, part of a functioning (if barely) organization. I could see the determination in her face so I dropped the subject. I could tell she wasn't yet in survival mode but still following orders. It would come, I hoped I was wrong, but I sure didn't see how things were ever going to get back to anything resembling normal.

I heard the radio man call out in Croatian. I let her answer and when she seemed finished I asked. "What is the report?" My situational awareness was crap and I wanted all the information I could get. We were getting close to the village, soon it would be time to confront whatever situation awaited us.

"They acknovledged our status report regarding the crash, and aproved of my decision to investigate the shooting. But they also said that comunications have been disrupted, except local. So there is no vay for you to contact your people. Basicly they didnt give me any specific orders... I dont like it." I informed him.

And yes... I most certinly did not like it. I culd tell by the tone of voice from the oficer across the radio that things vere bad. And the simple fact that I vas basicly being told to use my own judgement from nov on, told me that the chain of command vas breaking down.

"Jebote..." I cursed softly under my breth, roghly translated as 'fuck' in English.

A choked-out sound from behind made me slow the van dovn and take a look... one of my team-mates vas geting vorse, nov shudering on the vehicle's floor, clearly in pain, another holding his head up.

<<<"Corporal, he vont last much longer!">>> that one exclaimed, a trace of real fear in his voice.

A fear, that despyte my best eforts, vas starting to grip me as wel. Are ALL of us eventualy going to end up like that?! I culd see that question on the faces of the others, as well... But I brutaly quenched it dovn, trying to keep a calm tone: <<<"Check the medical locker and give him a shot of morphine... maybe... it wil help. Vith the pain at least...">>> sounding a lot more confident of it than I vas. I vas no doctor, not even a field-medic, but it semed reasonable.

He noded, vhile the second one opened the locker to get the morphine. Both of them stil seemed to be resisting the ilness reasonably well, aside from pale faces and shaking hands. For now at least... I made eye-contact vith the soldier in pain, reaching-out behind vith one hand and puting it on his sholder, then spoken gently but firmly: <<<"Hold on, keep fighting it... thats a order! Surender is NOT a option. Ever!">>>

He gave me a smile, despite the pain... <<<"I'm trying... Natalija.">>> breaking protocol and using my name. I didnt mind, smiling back, before I turned forvard again... fighting the tears in my eyes, again brutaly quenching my fear, and sadness.

The outskirts of the vilage vere just ahead, beyond the rise. By now, I culd hear distant gunfire even thru the thick skin of the van. Something vas definitly going-on there! Strangely enogh... I actualy smiled tightly at the notion, in grim satisfaction, priming my VHS.

"Good! Something tangible, something I CAN fight and defeat, for a change, and not think about this... this... this THING thats killing all of us slovly! Vho-ever and vhatever those troblemakers are, they picked the vrong village to raid!"

I vas angry. Denying it wuld be pointless. Angry at this vhole thing, and angrier at the fact that all of us vere simply on a timer, until this disease kills us too. And absolutly furious - for being totaly helpless to do anithing about it but vatch my team die 1 by 1! I stoped the van, behind a large rock next to the road, then spoke out-loud:

"Everyone out! Stay low and use cover until ve have a idea vhat we'r up against." in English, for the benefit of our guest, reaching-in a compartment next to the seat, for the standard army-isue binoculars that vere there, and also a pack of phosphorus flares, since it vas geting dark outside and they might come in handy.

Other then that, each of us vas armed the same vay; a VHS vithout a grenade launcher, a sidearm 9mm pistol, a combat-knife, and a pair of nonlethal flashbang hand-grenades. Nothing heavier, since our original asignment vas simply to provide security at a hospital in the city.

<<<"Sory I cant join the fun...">>> the soldier in pain grined at me, his voice noticably less strained. The morphine seemed to be helping him.

<<<"Next time... for nov, you have your own fight too - and I expect you to win it!">>> I grined-back at him, trying to keep as much optimism in my voice as I could muster. Even to my ears it sounded a bit...hollow... hovever.

Looking at him for a moment more, I culdnt help but think how this wuld likely be the last time I'd see him alive. Then I exited the van.

I took in the news as she translated it and while it sounded bad, it was about what I was expecting. It seemed the only real question was when? When would it take us, I could see the same question in her eyes. Unasked and unanswerable and I was sure she could see the question in mine as well. At the time it didn't seem possible that we would somehow be immune. I at least just assumed it would just be a matter of time, some minor glitch of dna or medical history that made it take a bit longer to take hold of me. I don't know if it would have been better to know I was immune, or to at least share in the fear of the rest of the world.

I heard the all too familiar death throws of yet another soldier. I couldn't understand the words being spoken but I knew the drill all too well. Do what you can for the pain, that was all anyone from the surgeon general on down to field medics could do for this plague. I did catch one word though, or name I thought, or hoped. "Natalija" I think he called her by name. I said the name over and over in my head, wanting to commit it to memory. I could sense the small hint of softness at the fate of her comrade. Clearly she had a heart after all. It was quickly suppressed as she primed her weapon, I think like me she was looking forward to something we could actually fight.

Small unit action, well that was what I was trained for but it just seemed like our little unit was all there was anymore. No longer part of a larger organization. Four soldiers, a fire team, I should be comfortable but I wasn't. I didn't speak their language, I didn't really know their tactics. I got out of the right hand side of the vehicle and took a covering position. I was trusting that small unit tactics were pretty similar especially with another NATO ally. Of course they hadn't been in the family all that long so who knew.

I scanned the front hoping the two sick soldiers were able to cover behind us and at least give a warning. I looked at Natalija as I started thinking of her and nodded "covering." I told her, letting her know I would stay put and cover her so she could move forward. I assumed she would get set and do the same for me since we had no idea what to expect. It was hard to believe there were enough healthy people in this village to even have a fight. It worried me that something else was going on, something we were totally unaware of. Something just didn't seem right.

Noding-back in understanding to him, I also hand-signaled the other 2 to spread a dozen-or-so meters outvard each, to the left/right behind the van, using the terain for cover, and vatch our back in case anyone came-up from behind or the sides. Unlikely, given that ve just driven-up that way and seen no-one, but given the amount of rocks/bushes in the area, that didnt mean much; they culd just as easyli be vaiting in ambush. Plus, I realy did not vant all of us to be clustered right next to the van, a nice group target for anyone nearby vith a hand-grenade.

They moved economicaly and eficiently enough, but I culd see the efort it took for them to stay focused, given their losing batle vith the ilness. One stoped next to a large rock off to the left, on 1 knee, rifle aimed, the other cravled half-into a bush to the right, also kneeling. In the twilight and vith their camo-uniforms, they vere reasonably wel-concealed.

Then I moved forvard, elbow-cravling, over the rise, just enogh to get the village in sight. As soon as I had a clear line of sight, I broght the binoculars to my eyes, and started surveying the village.

I let Natalija concern herself with the village while I covered her. This was her mission, I was just there to support her. So far I hadn't been able to save anyone, I would be damned it I were going to lose her to violence. She dispersed her men well accepting the role as their leader like a good soldier in a bad situation.

I had to shut my various thoughts and feelings away. Not think about everything going on in the world, especially back home. For now the only existence was this little stretch of Croatian village, my new world revolving only around Natalija and her safety. I knew that would be no small task, I could see the determination in her face, she was not one to hide in safety when there was a job to be done.

It was beginning to sound less like a battle and more like a massacre. No more sustained volleys for fire superiority, more like the unreturned shots of an execution. If we were to make a difference here, it would have to be soon.

I kept glancing back to her, waiting for her signal to move forward. We were a small group, it was unlikely we could prevail using conventional tactics. There was clearly a larger force ahead of us, I wondered just how aggressive my strong angel could be. Our best hope would be an unruly mob with little discipline. If there was a trained and disciplined force ahead of us, it would be tough going.

I counted 7 of them, at least outside, dressed in varius civilian clothes, carying a variety of wepons, AK47s or copies of them, shotguns, and cheap machine-pistols. Either irregulars from acros the border, or simple raiders gone crazy and violent. But the former vas far more likely, since the hardvare they had was not inconsiderable. One of them, standing on a balcony of one of the houses, even had something that looked like a RPG-7.

"Am I glad we didnt just drive-in... that thing wuld have turned us to scrap in a second!" I thoght vith a grimace.

As I vatched, 2 more come-out of one of the houses, draging a pair of villagers, then gone back in. So it vas obvius there vere at least a few more inside the houses. In the center square, executions vere going-on, slovly, one at a time, vith a lot of screams and pleading from the villagers. We had no time to vaste...

I scowled, hard, as I curled my hand back in a signal to the rest to join me, stil gazing thru the binoculars. This wuld be a nasty under-taking vith the equipment we had. We had no scoped or supressed wepons, either of vhich wuld help us keep the element of suprise for longer as we atacked.

"Ve'l need to sneak-up on them as much as posible before atacking. And vhen we do, we need to do it HARD and fast, before they get a chance to get ther act together!" I decided, looking at the terain in-between us and the village. Rocks, trees, and bushes vere thru-out, so cover and concealment vas not to be a problem. And the semi-darkness wuld also help us.

I saw her signal to move up and scanned left and right once more before moving quickly and quietly up to her. I high crawled the final few yards being careful to get lower as I neared her position on the ridge. I remained to her right, just close enough to exchange a few low words and kept scanning ahead waiting for the others. They were slow but doing their best, I scanned the scene and it didn't matter what part of the world we were in, this was wrong. It looked like a raid to me but I wasn't really up on the local politics. I just knew there were a lot of racial and ethnic hatreds in what was once Yugoslavia, but the Croats were generally considered as having it pretty together.

I couldn't see as well as Natalija but it didn't take a military genius or good binoculars to see that in addition to the executions, they were loading a truck with supplies and...I squinted a bit but it looked like several people, women or girls from their size, being bound behind the truck. They seemed to be separating the men from the women with the men being shot and the women...well one can only imagine what their fate would be.

It was a pretty big job for just the four of us but there was no cavalry going to ride to the rescue. Other than surprise, we really had no real advantage, perhaps training and discipline. The hell of it was, they all looked pretty healthy unlike half of our little band. The odds were very much against us and while this wasn't my mission, my basic humanity said we would have to try and stop this if we could.

There was no real way of knowing just how many there were, but unless they had other vehicles I think it was safe to say less than a dozen. Still pretty bad odds but it wasn't like they were dug in and ready for us. I wondered if there was any potential for assistance within the village. Perhaps if we pinned them down here they would have to come to us, we had good cover and the advantage of height. Besides, they wanted the truck and the supplies. Of course there wasn't a real good plan for this type of conflict. I pointed to the area I would head next and waited for Natalija's nod of approval.

"7 outside, I noticed 2 more inside, posibly a couple more..." I spoked softly as he come-up to my right, just as I culd see one of them colapse, sudenly, in the same vay as my sargent did before.

"...actuly, make that 6 outside." I corected, alowing myself a tight smile. This vas the first time this plague actualy vorked in my favor.

"Wel-armed, and they have one vith an RPG on the balcony. That 1 has to go down first..." I continued, before trailing off.

Then my 2 team-mates also arived, and I laid-out the situation, and the plan I had in mind to them, to sneak-up on the village and hit those hostiles hard and fast in hopes of maximizing the element of suprise. Being the ranking member of the team, there vas no dissent, even if I had to admit the plan vas audacius. And I vasnt sure how well my comrades culd cary it out, being in their weakened state by the ilness. But... ve had to act fast, since every minute vasted would be another minute the executions wuld continue. As for the female captives... for the moment, I refused to even dvell on that, for the very real fear of sending me into rage and clouding my judgment, since I had a very good idea vhat will hapen to them once taken acros the border then probably shiped-of further south to Albania and one of the sex-traficking cartels there, vhich is vhat seemed to be the plan of those raiders, vhom I vas now sure were from across the border, probably vorking for one of the cartels.

Just as the 3 of us vere about to start our stelthy advance tovard the village, I remembered our guest.

"Vhats your take on my plan?" I asked him.

I couldn't make out the RPG without binoculars but once she pointed out the balcony I made note of it. "I think you have a good basic plan, I don't think we can get too fancy. My only suggestion is that I go back down a bit then run about 100 meters to our right. I can work my way down to that cluster of rocks unseen and have good cover. I can start some covering fire to get their heads down while you and your men advance from this position." I didn't feel I needed to explain that her guys wouldn't be able to move fast enough in their condition. "I will be able to keep track of you and adjust my fire. I think I can get the RPG from there, it will be my first shots. I will still be above the roof line too, just in case they have some up there, that could make trouble as you approach."

I wasn't wild about being so far off on my own but the position was good and I had the mobility that they lacked. The worst part was the guy in the balcony. I was less worried about his RPG than I was his view. If he spotted us our surprise would be finished before it got started. The path from the ridge to the rock formation had low scrub so I had a better than even shot at getting there unseen. " When you guys get to the truck, I will start down to join you. What do you think...Corporal?"

Damn her eyes were so deep and dark and I really didn't need to be thinking about that right now. I was not accustomed to going into combat with a woman and I was beginning to appreciate the complexities of it all. I couldn't just treat her as one of the guys, no matter how much I might want to. I felt like I could look in those eyes the rest of my life, and I hated to think I might not be far off. I was content to wait for her approval or rejection of my role in her plan. I hoped it would maximize my value and be a little extra insurance.

"Sounds good - vhat rank in US army are you aniway?" I replyed vith a nod, then continued: "Just be sure not to start firing to soon, since it wuld also blow-up our suprise. Vait until ve get about half-vay down to the outskirts..." observing the stretch of terain betwen here and the village "...theres enogh clutter for us to get that far vithout much risk of being spotted. Beyond that - yes, that guy's view culd be a problem, so take him out vhen you see us get about half-down." I finished.

"Then we atack the rest, as their atention is fixed on your spot... I leave my 2 comrades to supress them from this direction vhile I try and move even further to the oposing side of the vilage and ve eventualy catch them in a 3-way pincer..." I aded to my-self.

I didnt miss his increasingly evaluative stares at me... vhich I recognyzed as more then just being attracted to me. He was un-easy at the idea of fighting alongside a woman, I culd tell that much. Vhile that notion... annoyed me, to put it mildly, I also remembered - at least vhat I read once - that in his army women are never deployed on combat missions. That was not the case in Croatian army.

"Wel then, cowboy... I guess I'l just have to impres upon you first-hand, how wel I function under fire!" I smirked slightly to myself.

Then I curled my hand invard, at my 2 comrades, for us to start our advance. We moved in a half-crouch, spread about 5 meters from one-another, switching betwen bushes, trees and rocks. Every here and there I stoped for a second or two, checking the vilage with binoculars... and alowing my impaired comrades to catch-up.

"I am a Corporal also...in the US Marines." Everything might have been falling apart but I still took great pride in being a Marine. I wasn't sure Croatia even had marines but I liked to think of the USMC as world famous or infamous depending upon your history I suppose.

"I won't let you down." That was a promise and while there were always unknown challenges, I would do my very best to make her plan a success. I was grateful she was open minded, things were going to get less and less by the book in a hurry. I slide down the back slope and once I was low enough to stand without being sited from the village I took off at a caution run. The ridge line followed my path and when I thought I made it about a 100 meters I cautiously went back to the ridge line. There was excellent concealment and I easily worked my way down to the rock cluster. It was perfect, and had several shooting positions which I could rotate through to keep them guessing.

I took position at the highest one. I still didn't see anyone on the rooftops but I knew that could change in a hurry once the shooting started. I sighted in on the balcony, hoping for a decent shot. He was in shadow which would make it difficult. I looked at the team's approach and could make out there progress here and there. They kept to pretty good cover but I was looking for them which helped. I worked my way back and forth, scanning my new comrades then the enemy position. They were getting close, I wanted to give them another minute or two but then the balcony guy leaned forward. He was starring in their direction, he saw something.

I decided it had to be now. He made a much better target leaning forward and he was suspicious, I had to drop him before he reacted and raised the alarm to their advance. I took careful aim, the air was still which helped, and squeezed the trigger. It was a clean hit, maybe not a kill shot but I definitely ruined his day. I then switched to burst and worked to keep their attention on me and their heads down. We would find out real soon what their training and commitment level was. If they knew what they were doing they would begin rushing my position in an organized manner. If they were just bandits, I could keep at this all day.

I changed to another position and started firing again, working from target to target quickly. I was more concerned with keeping them occupied than accuracy, though I felled at least one. Each time I changed position I checked on their advance, not wanting to risk any friendly fire. I could see my strong angel about to strike and shifted my fire to the right, I hoped her comrades were still well enough to support her.

"Not the most ideal timing posible... but I can vork vith this. I just hope he got the RPG guy..." I thoght, breaking into a run, as the first sounds of asault rifle fire culd be heard from the general direction of vhere I asumed the Marine corporal vas now.

The timing vas indeed off, since the 3 of us verent kuite as close to the village as I'd have liked, and that wuld cost us a few seconds of suprise-time, as I began hearing other wepons joining the cacophony, from the village, as the irregulars started returning fire tovard his general position.

Just passing a rather wide tree, I sudenly found my-self in sight of the village outskirts, one of the armed rebels just rushing out of a nearby home, AKM in hands. He caugt sight of me... a half-second before I droped to one knee and put a kuartet of bullets into his stomach and chest vith a short, controled burst from my VHS, before he had time to even aim his wepon at me. He droped-dovn vithout a sound.

One of the vindows of the house shatered... and I reflexivly thrown myself aside back behind the tree as fire came at my position... clearly another one in the house. I set the rifle to semi-auto fire, and brifly peaked-out to return fire vith a few shots, hoping to get him to take cover himself. Leaning-back, I culd see my 2 teammates, finaly catching-up, both of them prone and cravling 2 join me. I shook my head and given them a series of hand-signals to provide cover fire for me as I try to advance on the house. They did so, one cravling behind a nearby ruined fence, starting short-bursts at the vindow, even if the accuracy vas low, given how much his hands vere already shaking from the ilness, the other taking a similar positon behind a parked car, 50 meters avay, roghly diagonaly in relation to each-other, giving them mutual coverage as wel in case more hostiles came. Even given acuracy problems, they did make a good job of covering me. I vas more-or less in the midle of that 50-meter cover-cone the tvo of them made.

Both of them now keeping the one inside the house pined-down vith constant fire, I started my half-crouch advance on it. Just then, another enemy sudenly apeared, from the direction of the main vilage square dovn the road, and opened suprisingly accurate fire on the left-most of my comrades, from his flank, clearly using some kind of hunting rifle. I spun-around to track him, leting-off a rapid series of semi-shots. First 2 missed, but the 3rd caght him in the leg just above the knee, and he droped vith a scream. The 4th and 5th one missed, as the man suceeded in cravling behind a corner of the distant building. But he vas vounded and out of the fight, in any case.

A scream that echoed the one made by my comrade a second earlier. Looking at him, I culd see he vasnt moving, his still body half-visible behind the car. I scovled... Clearly that bastard got him vith one of his shots. My second team-mate signaled me to keep advancing.

"Rest in peace..." I thoght as I did that, coming-up to the house-entrance. Strangely... I vas no longer afraid at all. I did feel some fear before, vhen ve vere aproaching the village, but now... all that vas gone. Just focus, and determination remained, to make every one of those criminals pay, or die trying. I had no idea if there vas just that one inside the house, or more... but I vas about to find-out.

Swiching-back to full-auto, I brifly debated vhether to do a silent-entry, or toss a flash-bang in first, in case vho-ever inside vas anticipating this move. Either aproach had its pros and cons. The former wuld let me keep the element of suprise on vho's inside, in case he isnt watching the entrance - but if he vas, I vas dead. The latter wuld mitigate that risk, but wuld also alert anyone anyvhere inside, since flashbangs vere anything but subtle.

"Wel, ve're long-past any notions of subtlety..." I thoght, uncliping the grenade, puling the pin and tosing it in, then covering my ears and closing eyes. Just after the mufled detonation and a blurred-flash, I rushed-in.

Just past the entrance, in the lobby, a few meters avay in the doorvay to a narow hallvay, another enemy vas cowering next to the vall, a shotgun lying next to him as he squezed his eyes vith his hands, in obvius pain. From the vay he vas positioned it vas crystal-clear vhat wuld have hapened to me if I gone-in vithout tossing a flashbang first.

"Lucky me..." I aloved myself a tight smile, before I shot him in the face, a sputer of blood and brains staining the vall behind him as he slid-dovn to the floor, dead.

Then I moved to the halvay, in a half-crouch, steping over his corpse, since I known he vasnt alone. The 1 vho fired on me from that vindow vasnt using a shotgun. I vas on a hair-triger, rifle aimed forvard, finger already half-presing the trigger. I culd hear faint screeching of the laminate floor in the far room vith open door, the other doors lining the halvays closed... he vas obviusly there, pacing.

Or so I thoght, until a door right next to me at the start of the halvay sudenly burst-open, and a rifle-butt bashed me HARD acros the cheek-bone just as I vas turning, sending me reeling into the oposite vall with a bruise on my cheek and a blasted-out tooth, since i culd taste blood in my mouth and feel it vith my tongue. But I vasnt even dazed, long-used to taking blows during sparring, some of them hard.

"Jebaću ti mater, kurvo!" a furiusly ragged deep male voice snarled at me in Serbian, a phraze roughly translated as "I'l fuck your mother, bitch!" one of the more-or-less typical jargon swear-phrazes in the Balkans.

Instinctivly vithout looking, I snaped my right leg side-vays as he advanced a step out of the room at me, the heel of my foot conecting vith his solar plexus, and staling his forvard-momentum momentarily. He let out a brief groan, as I turned to face him, foloving-thru vith a up-snap kick to his chin, vhich he blocked vith his rifle, even if the force of it did kick the wepon out of his grip. Vith a roar, he swinged his right fist at my face in a right-cross. I ducked it, pivoting and driving the point of my left elbov hard into his gut. He doubled-over vith a more painful groan, as I straightened and caught him in a reverse neck-lock under my armpit. Then I twisted, jerking-aside hard, and felt his neck snap vith a very satisfying "crack".

I released the body to slide-dovn to the flor, and spit on it, saliva mixed vith blood.

"Ne bih rekla, gade." I mutered under my breth, translated as "I dont think so, bastard."

Picking-up my rifle, vhich I droped during the fight, I continued-on, making sure the house vas clear.

Outside, my surviving team-mate droped one more enemy in the meantime.

They returned fire but it was not particularly effective. Moving from position to position I was able to keep the majority of them engaged as the Croats moved in closer. I was trying to keep a running tab of how many were engaging us, fortunately that was getting easier as more and more of them fell to our combined attack. These were not organized and disciplined troops, more of a gang it seemed. With their numbers dwindling and no organized attempt to engage us from the rooftops, I decided to move in closer myself. Shifting my fire away from my allies as they moved forward. I didn't have a great angle for some of their attack but supported them from my side. I saw my angel engage several more. She was like an angel of death as she worked her way through the bandits. There was still fire coming from the far home, they seemed to be shifting their focus from me to the Croats, I took cover and gave them something more to think about so they couldn't focus on Natalija.

As she entered the first house, I knew I wasn't in sync enough with her to follow. We would be more a danger to each other than our enemies. Instead, as her comrade engaged the same target that I was, I used the opportunity to move forward. They seemed to know their stuff, keeping their heads down so we could each in turn advance. It was a bit awkward but working. I got close enough to lob a grenade in the window then dive behind a vehicle for cover. Resuming my offensive I kicked in the door and cleared the room. The shooter had been alone. I worked my way through the small home but found no one. In the rear was a small courtyard that but it appeared empty. I wanted to regroup with Natalija, but knew if her adrenaline were flowing like mine, we would have to be careful not to shoot each by accident. I didn't hear any more shooting, but could not be sure the village was clear. "Natalija" I called into the courtyard, just wanting to make verbal contact but not expose either of our positions.

Just as I vas exiting the house, I culd hear the Marine's shout, coming vagely from the other side of the vilage. I vas glad he sounded-off, confirming he vas stil alive and close.

"Over here!" I shouted-back in English, as I cautiusly taken a look outside. No-one vas imediately visible, except my surviving team-mate at the end of a street on 1 knee beside another house, half-vay to the vilage-center. Catching my eye, he given me a "all-clear" signal. Even from this distance I culd see his shaking hand, and deathly-pale face. But he vas hanging-on, a perserverance that impresed me... deeply.

Unfortunatly our respite vas short-lived... as a burst of shots sudenly ziped into the side of the door-vay I vas standing in, one narowly missing me. As I roled-back inside out of reflex, I caugt a glimpse of 2 more bandits, vho just took pozitions on the bell-tower of the village church in the center-square. Being kuite far avay and not having sharpshooting rifles, that acounted for their inacuracy at hiting me... but it stil came close. And from that pozition, they had the vhole vilage in their sights. My team-mate returned fire tovard the tower, but didnt hit anyone at that range, his shaking hands destroying his aim. A return shot from the tower hit right beside him on the pavement. As he tried to scramble behind the corner, 2 more shots perforated his chest.

I culd hear his death-scream inside the house.

The second bandit in the tower taken-aim at the smal house the Marine vas in, and another burst of shots came thru the vindow he just shouted out.

"Fuck... and here I thoght things vere actualy too easy." I shok my head, for the moment not knowing vhat to do. Unless my house had a back-exit, I vas pined in here, since that bandit in the tower no-dobt had the entrance covered. Same vas likely true for my American conterpart.

And vorse yet... I culd hear the distant sound of a truck-engine starting up. They vere probably covering for the rest of them to evacuate the captives.

I was heading out the front to regroup when the firing started again. I ducked back into my doorway before they could adjust their fire effectively. Fortunately my house had a back door so I could exit. "Natalija" I called out without presenting myself as a target. Fortunately I had a good voice for shouting order, of course I wasn't the one giving orders so I guess it was more of a suggestion. "I'm going out the back. I will engage the bell tower if you can stop that truck. Give me a few seconds and wait until you hear my fire." I waited for her to acknowledge my 'suggestion'.

This whole thing was getting horribly reckless but there was really no choice left. Either we let them take their captives or we fight the the last of us. I was really getting into the 'what the hell do I have to lose' mentality. It was dangerous, but it made us dangerously effective. I sprinted out the back, zigging here and zagging there but making a mad dash for a gap that would get me close enough to that tower to engage them effectively. The bell tower would be a trick shot for my grenade launcher but it might be my best choice. I would only get one shot, if I didn't get them first try I would have to engage them with rifle fire at a distinct disadvantage of elevation. Unfortunately, I might use up all my ammo with these guys just trying to cover my strong angel.

I took a gap that looked about right, close but still giving me good cover. I peered around the corner, took careful aim and let loose. It felt good, it felt good when I fired but the wind caught it and it went wide. I started with rifle fire, shooting and ducking back in but not giving them enough time to try for another target. If there were any more bandits, I would be a sitting duck here, focused on the belltower there were just too many other approaches where I could be cut down. I wouldn't yield though until I knew Natalija was safe and completed her mission. I had to start conserving my ammo though, I could resupply with the Croat stores but not in the middle of a firefight.

I didnt vaste time. Nor did I reply. I didnt knov how wel, or if at all, our enemies spoke English, but if even 1 of them did and over-heard, me acknovledging wuld just give them a vay to anticipate my actions. Or vorse, if they vere in radio-contact vith those in the truck, even inform them in-advance. So I stayed silent.

I just acted. As soon as I heard the distinctivly diferent sound of my counterpart's wepon in contrast to their AK derivatives, I rushed-out of the house, then imediatly circled around it to its back to be out of sight of the tower. No shots came at me. He vas doing a good job of keeping them ocupied. I started sprinting betwen the houses and fences, tovards the sound of the truck engine, ocasionaly alternating my speed and direction to throw-of any aim.

Just then, hopping-over another fence, I culd see another enemy, behind a low-vall, taking careful aim vith a SMG at something off to the side, in the direction of my counterpart's fire. Obviusly he culd see the Marine and had the drop on him. Not hesitating, I squezed-of a short burst at him, taking him dovn - but he did get-of a pair of shots just before I did it. Hoping his fire missed the Marine, I kept going.

Those in the tower heard my fire, of corse, and 1 of them shifted to track me again. I barely got another house in-betwen me and the tower as a sputter of shots chiped its wall vhere I just been a second earlyer. Straight ahead past the court-yard, I culd just see the truck accelerating slovly dovn the road out of the vilage. It vas already kuite far away, and geting further every second. At the moment, there vas stil a chance I culd hit it.

Dropping prone, replacing the almost-depleted clip, and suporting my rifle on a rock, I sviched to semi-fire ant took careful aim at the truck, aiming low at the tires, then opened steady fire. A few shots mised, but then I culd see the truck vobbling on the road, as its left-aft tires burst. A second later, I scored a hit on the right set too. The vehicle stoped, and a pair of poorly-aimed shots come out of the front cabin in my general direction. I shifted aim tovard the cabin and kept-up my stream of single-shots, keeping the driver pined there, as vel as anyone else vith him.

But then out of the back of the truck, the captives started jumping-out and runing-back tovard the village, screaming, obviusly terified. Most looked sick vith the plague, in varius degrees, but a few seemed just fine. This aded to my conclusion that not all people vere afected by the plague, not just me and the Marine. Many of these bandit iregulars also seemed wel enogh.

<<<"No!!! GET-OF THE ROAD AND HIDE!!!">>> I yeled in ther direction at the top of my lungs. But their panic didnt let them listen...

Out on the street, they made a very tempting target for those in the tower... and I had to keep my fire on the truck's cabin to prevent the driver and anyone else there, from firing on them from behind. Even as I vatched, I seen one of the captives drop, a young voman, at the same time as I heard another burst from the tower.

It was a stalemate, and one we were bound to lose eventually. I heard Natalija engage the enemy just as two shots hit the wall near me. I turned just in time to see my attacker fall to her well timed shots. In the time it took for me to react though at least one shooter in the tower had shifted fire. I stepped back out to engage them again, keeping their heads down or focusing their fire on me.

As I heard the steady fire from her VHS I simply had to assume she had the good sense to find a firing position that offered her some cover from the tower. I moved quickly to another firing position, reloading my launcher as I went. I got a slightly better angle and closed the range somewhat. I took a few deep breaths then stepped into position, aimed and fired. This one went true, I even heard it clang off the bell. Just as I was moving back to cover I felt a sharp sting to my left shoulder. The grenade exploded, ending one threat, so I moved in the direction of Natalija's fire. I didn't know they had shot one of the captives, they were first rate bastards and I hoped they burned in hell.

I could see her in a stalemate of her own. I maneuvered into position to engage the truck cab from a different angle. Finding a good spot where I could take out the last of the bandits, at least the ones engaging us, with a few easy shots. The silence was almost deafening. It had been a short battle but seemed to take forever. I cautiously approached the truck cab to make sure the driver was dead and there was no more threat from this location. The captives seemed as frightened of me as they were their captors, I couldn't blame them, they had been through hell. I would leave them to Natalija. I didn't notice the left sleeve of my BDU was red with blood, my blood. The adrenaline from the fight must have been overriding my pain receptors. I was still cautious, looking for threats but none seemed to materialize so I slowly worked my way towards my strong angel. My sense of a plan not going much past the battle.

The strangest thing was though that there must have been close to a dozen captives here, and none of them looked sick. Come to think of it, none of the bandits appeared unsteady as they fought. I had gotten so used to everyone being sick, it was hard to notice a group of healthy combatants.

Back
Top Bottom