Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Unrequited ((Vivid and StardustSeduction))

Vivid Fizz

Supernova
Marriage. The word had caused a strange feeling to tug at Alice Montegrove’s insides. Only a few days ago her mother had told her the ‘happy’ news. Apparently this arrangement had been made right under the girl’s nose. Her mother had been sending letters back and forth with a very noteworthy duke for quite some time and now that everything was tied in a nice, neat package, they were off to go and live in one of the duke’s apartments in London.

The entire carriage ride to the city was in silence. The young woman refused to speak to her mother. An anger had burnt deeply within Alice since she was informed of her engagement and even after the passing days, the anger still raged with the same intensity as before. Marriage! Bah! How could her mother arrange something that important without Alice’s consent? Didn’t her opinion mean anything at all? Alice did not want to be married! Not yet! Not to someone who was twice her age!

Alice was chastised for being too willful, stubborn, pigheaded, and stupid. Any other girl would be falling over themselves to be with that man. How many as young as she were lucky enough to land someone as rich as this duke? Alice could have cared less what other girls had thought and felt, SHE did not want it. Did. Not. Want.

Montegrove was only a few hours outside of London and, by noon, the carriage had came to a lurching stop. Her mother gave an excited squeal. “Ah, we are here! The duke’s town houses are said to be more extravagant than even the King’s. Not that you would understand, ungrateful chit.”

The pretty girl rolled her eyes. This discussion had already happened over and over again and Alice was getting tired of explaining exactly why she did not like this. “Of course I would not, mother. It is your duty to provide for me a suitable husband. Even if said husband is a rake, a womanizer, and a notorious scoundrel.”

The door of the carriage was opened for them and her mother scowled at her. “You are fortunate that we are to meet the duke soon, or else I would cane you for that tongue of yours. Hopefully he will be able to beat that rebellious streak from you.”

Without another word, the two stepped from the vehicle. The Countess had dressed in her finest silk. It was a dark green silk gown with a corset that pushed up the woman’s ample cleavage. Her chocolate brown locks were up in an elaborate style and emeralds were intertwined within it. Even at her mother’s age, she was still one of the most stunning women of the court. Alice was not the same dark beauty. Her hair was a golden red and curled down her back. Unlike her mother who had chosen to meet the duke in up most fashion, Alice had chosen a simple white cambric dress with a brown apron and a straw hat.

Of course her mother loathed her daughter’s decision. She looked to her sixteen year old daughter with contempt. “You look like a servant girl. What are people to think?”

“That you are to marry this Duke of… of… well, that you are to marry the man and I am your servant. He is closer to your age than my, mama.”

The older woman scowled. Her aggravation caused Alice to smirk a little. She knew how much her mother hated to be reminded of her age. Even the glorious Countess Rebecca Danielle Bernadette Montegrove was not impervious to age and this year she had found a single wrinkle at the corner of her eye, which was hastily covered by a crescent moon patch.

Without another word they began to walk towards the doors. The duke was to meet them outside and, when the two were close enough, Rebecca let out a happy coo and walked over to the man. In the French way she placed a kiss on either side of his cheek in greeting. Alice stood back and watched the little scene. Her mother was certainly charming. It was only when she was called over did she walk up to the two.

“Dear duke,” the woman said. “This is my Alice. Don’t be fooled by her clothes, she is actually quite lovely. I picked out a lovely gown in primrose, but she was adamant about wearing… this.”
Alice remained silent, refusing to even look at this man or recognize his existence. There was no reason for her to be happy or accommodating to him. She did not know the man so she did not see the point of being polite. Perhaps in a few hours when she had accepted her fate but now she didn’t want anything to do with him.

At least not with her mother around. Somehow she had to get him by himself and convince him that this marriage was ridiculous. She was only sixteen. Such an age gap would do them no good. There was better land than Montegrove. Alice sighed and looked at a ground, deciding a pebble was far more interesting than her future husband.

Back
Top Bottom