Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Delete.

RE: A Dragons Tale - A tale of deception and development. - me and Korax

Things had been calm in the little kingdom of Aveon for quite some time, though the larger more formidable kingdoms around them were always trying to start some sort of conflict or another. The little Aveon managed to endure however, in large part to their abnormally large number of mages and tinkerers who were always whipping up new spells and gadgets to even the playing field. However lately there was troubling news from the outside, rumors that the other kingdoms had figured out how to tame the mighty dragons, something that would make all the magic and technology of Aveon mean nothing but kindling. The king ordered a small band of very talented men and women, hailing from the royal knights, local dukes and of course the every watchful mage's guild. One knight in particular was both interested and disgusted by this latest plan, he went by the name of Sir Lucan Verdena. In ages past his family line were dragon slayers, amassing such knowledge about the beasts that would make any mage drool. Of course the call of these services dwindled over time, neither Lucan nor his father ever so much as saw a dragon.

With help from the family tomes, the mages and a bit of luck Lucan and the small band managed to capture a dragon. The battle had been over fairly quick since they managed to ambush and bind the creature before it could use any devastating magic. Once the job was done Lucan thought that was the end of his participation, however the very next day the head of the mage's build showed up at the front door to Lucan's 'modest' manor. He was an older man, almost all the hair on his head was taken by time, with one or two white wisps remaining. However the aged man had a very impressive beard, it was almost long enough to reach his ankles. The mage wore a very bright robe, red with what looked like golden roses covering the fabric. "Greetings Lucan." The old man said with a crooked smile and an odd twinkle in his eye, Lucan was well known in the guild though not a member of it, many of his ancestors had been magic users of great power so the guild liked to keep an eye on his clan. Normally things were strained between Lucan and the mages, but the head of the guild always liked to keep things nice and informal which only made Lucan even more nervous.

"Step outside lad, I have a surprise for you." The mage took a few steps back and cross his arms as his broken smile grew into a lop-sided grin. Weary Lucan followed the mage out of the protection of his manor, the knight was not prepared for what he saw sitting on his lawn. Lucan's eyes widened as he stared at the sight, he turned to stare at the mage with smoldering anger as he waited for some sort of explanation for why there was an overgrown lizard on his property in a cage created by lightning.

"Why is this thing on my lawn?" Lucan asked as soon as he recovered from the shock of seeing the beast sitting in chains on his doorstep. The master magic user brought up a hand to stroke his long beard "Well lad, we know your family kept detailed reports and records of the dragons they fought, though not a single member ever let an outsider see these books. The queen figures that we could try and fail to tame the beast, possibly killing many of the guild and the dragon itself. You on the other hand have access to detailed information that would cut such risks in half, if not cut out completely. So the task of training the creature was delegated to you from our wise ruler." as the guild head spoke, Lucan's scowl began to turn into a heavy grimace, like he was trying to swallow a rotten egg. As detestable as he found the idea of breaking the creature and teaching it how to be a good little pack-animal, he could not refuse an order from the very line that offered his grandfather land and a place to raise his family. Caught between two ill fated choices, Lucan could only choose to take the lesser "This will be a long and trying task. Do not push or pressure me or I swear I will release the beast and wash my hands of this whole mess if she doesn't kill you first." with a shake of his hand Lucan had a feeling he would regret this day for years to come.

Handing the man a ring the mage urged him to put it on, Lucan was a bit weary at first but once he did he felt a mild shock race through his arm. "The hell?!" He growled as he shot a glare at the mage, who seemed to just smile away before explaining "The metal collar the beast wears carries a spell, the dragon is bonded to you. She will be unable to hurt you and the binding will keep her from running too far. There are very few spells that can bind and restrain a dragon, this is the best my pupils can do until we know more about their odd abilities." the mage then raised a hand and snapped one of his fingers and the many iron bindings began to fall away, leaving just the collar on the beast. "Ready your sword sir knight. While you may be immune from her wrath, your property and servants are not." With that the mage seemed to just fade away into thin air, leaving Lucan staring down a no doubt angry monster and he did not have his sword drawn and ready.

Watching the dragon struggle and flap about, Lucan stepped back and waited, hoping that the magic guild were everything they claimed to be. Thankfully it seemed that they were just that good, on the other hand it seemed that now the knight was stuck with a giant angry reptile who would like to see him reduced to a pile of ash. "Well, do you feel better now?" Lucan asked the creature as he marched up to the crater that she managed to leave in the beast's thrashing. "Now come. Follow me, I think I can fix that tail of your's. Follow me." He ended up having to repeat himself a few times as the man motioned for the giant to come towards him, if he could just get her into the barn he felt like he could get her somewhat under control and not eager to burn his home to the ground.

Once the beast was in the barn, Lucan moved quickly to close the massive doors behind her. "Keep calm, keep calm..." He chanted under his breath, the words were more for himself than the dragon but if she understood then all the better. The man Moved to the wall where a pair of massive gloves hung, they were about twice the size of the average knight gauntlet and looked as if they were made out of red scales. Using these gloves Lucan moved closer to the animal "Alright beast...as a show of good faith I'm going to help fix you a little." he doubted she understood more than a few words, sort of like some dogs, but every bit helped. Moving in closer Lucan used his now protected hands to shove and move the dragon's tail back into joint the best he could, with any luck she could heal from there and it wouldn't cause too much of a problem.

The knight couldn't believe how careless the mages had been, he would have to wait for the beast to heal a bit before he could even attempt to train the reptile. As much as he hated the beasts, Lucan was not going to abuse or punish the creature for something that wasn't her fault, there would be plenty of time for that later. With a huff he took off the heavy gauntlets "You better be worth it..." He muttered under his breath before shooting his new 'pet' a rather venomous glare.

Surprised by the sudden puff of smoke, Lucan coughed his way through the smog and when he could breath again he shot a quick glare at the curled up reptile that was now taking up space in his barn. If the dragon wasn't already hurt he would have punished her, as it stood it would be just a pointless action to sate his own anger and Lucan was wise enough to understand that distinction. "Fine beast." The knight paused as he realized that his new pet didn't have a name, thinking for a moment Lucan threw something together "I will call you Skyfury, I expect you will live up to that name." with that settled Lucan felt just a little more assured of his control over the dragon, such as it was.

((Oh, I thought you just grew disinterested. I sort of went on a long fishing trip with family and just got back to a computer, but I am happy to continue it.))

Ignoring the puff of smoke, this one didn't catch him off guard and simply sat back on a bale of hay as he stared at the strange creature that now lived inside his barn. Lucan knew there was going to be a lot of preparation, in the coming days he would have to alert his staff to go on daily hunting expectations to keep Skyfury nice and fat, he did not like the idea of her wandering off and eating his people and livestock. Scratching his chin the lord stood up and stared down the dragon, locking eyes with her as he intended not to back down, no matter how difficult things became.

Back
Top Bottom