Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Marooned. (Nevada x Wolfman)

Wolfman

Super-Earth
The private business jet levelled out at 30.000 feet. The take-off had been rushed, seeing as the plane's pilot and sole occupant had received bad news from home. Jeffrey Plaster had been interrupted in a business meeting to be told his father had suffered a stroke, condition critical. His pilot had to have a mandatory rest before flying again and Jeffrey, being an old air force pilot, took his own plane home. He hadn't had time for a good walkaround of his plane before taking off. That would come back to haunt him.

His mind preoccupied, it took him a while to realize that a warning light had started flashing in the cockpit. No identifying transponders were working, it seemed. He tested the GPS. Nothing. Radio? Dead. Then he recalled one of the airport officials muttering something about sunspot activity, and his stomach sunk. Sunspot activity meant EMP. EMP might mean the frying of circuits, vital electronics he might need to keep the plane aloft. As it was, he was now without any immediate means of navigation and communication.

He dipped the nose of his plane lower. There were some islands along this stretch of the ocean, but this area was seldom frequented by planes and shipping. He'd just flown through a low cloud when it happened. Birdstrike. Hundreds of them. In a millisecond, the cockpit window was smashed, glass and feathers and gore from the birds whirling around as 300 knot air blasted Jeffrey's eyes shut and saving him from damage from the flying debris. Worse, several birds were sucked into the jet intake, knocking out his engines.

In a few seconds, his plane went from sleek mode of transportation to an overpriced lump of metal rapidly descending towards the ocean. Thankfully, the stick was still connected to the rudders. He managed to level out and glide the plane to within range of a rather large island, half a mile away. The plane hit the water's surface and broke upon impact. The nose broke apart from the main body and bounced across the water with Jeffrey in it. It brought him closer still to the increasingly large island.

The nose stopped its progress and started to sink. Jeffrey unbuckled and found a life vest as water started rushing in and the nose started to sink. He kicked off his shoes and managed to open the door behind the pilot's chair, the cockpit window too small to shimmy through. The nose was already plunging towards the bottom of the ocean as he kicked free and swam towards the surface.

He broke the surface and oriented himself. There. The large island was behind him. He'd been turned around as the nose of the plane sank. He swam for shore in a burst of energy, wanting more than anything to reach shore, to survive. He waded onto shore and promptly collapsed, exhausted as the adrenaline left him. For thirty minutes he knew nothing but the warmth of the sun and the sand and the certainty that he was alive. A dull throb in his left wrist told him that he hadn't escaped unharmed, but that he'd been lucky nonetheles. After a while he sat up, heaving his six foot tanned muscular frame off the sand. He ran a hand through his dark curly hair and watched his surroundings with dark blue eyes.

He gingerly examined his wrist and concluded that he'd suffered either a sprain or a minor fracture. He had some cuts in his face from the cockpit glass, but none too serious, it seemed. He took off his life vest and looked himself over. He wore an expensive shirt with cufflinks, a pair of trousers with a belt, socks and boxer shorts. He stripped and examined himself thoroughly. A few cuts and contusions, that was all. He'd been remarkably lucky. In his pants were a pack of chewing gums (peppermint, sugar free) and... yes! A stroke of luck! His swiss army knife.

He started taking in his surroundings. The island was large, several square miles. There was lush vegetation and palm trees bearing coconuts. He became aware of a small stream cutting across the beach and emptying into the ocean. Realizing suddenly how thirsty he was, he ran to it and drank his fill, amazed at the quality and sweet freshness of the water.

Taking stock of his situation, he concluded that things could be worse. The island was large enough to maintain a steady source of fresh water, meaning there was a spring somewhere or that it rained often here. He thought the last option to be more likely, seeing as he was in or near the tropics and the fact that even now, a large thunderhead was approaching. There was also plenty of food to be had it seemed. Which brought him to priority number three: shelter. He needed to find some. Putting his boxers back on and bundling his clothe together, he set off to explore the island.

Scarlet O'Hare had been on this unknown island for five years. Not that she knew that, she'd stopped counting the days after 186 days. There just didn't seem to be a point in counting anymore. Currently the blue eyed, red-head sat by the edge of her shelter which happened to be a ground level cave. She'd made the door that covered the entrance. She sat just outside of it, cleaning the rabbit she'd caught. Beside her lay a big white wolf. There had use to be a pack of wolves on the island, but now it was just this one and he was Scarlet's constant companion.

She tossed the big wolf a piece of fat when she heard the loud screeching sounds. She watched a small plane fly over, clearly about to crash. It disappeared from sight and she heard the sound of the plane hitting the water. Standing up, she was dressed in a pair of tattered jeans and a tank top. "Let's check it out." She said to the wolf. They left camp at a brisk jog, but still the man was up and exploring before Scarlet got to the beach where he'd washed up.

She found his tracks and began following him at a distance. Her wolf was just as silent, padding behind her. She may have missed people, but five years being virtually alone meant that she was wary of humans now, so she was content to hang back and follow the man, see what he was going to do, of course she wouldn't let him injure himself, after all, she was curious about him.

Jeffrey first set off into the forest. If he could find a fallen tree he might make a lean-to if he found some leaves large enough to function as a roof. He'd done a survival course in the Air Force, and he was confident that the island would provide for him. As long as he didn't- what the hell?

A large paw print as if from a canine was evident on the ground in front of him. Well! That was good news. If the island could sustain large predators there had to be large game here. Or plenty of small game. And there was plenty of fruit. He wouldn't starve, that was for sure.

From time to time, Jeffrey got the feeling he was being watched. The feeling grew so strong that he once spun around. He saw some movement in some bushes, but that turned out to be a rabbit. Rabbits would be plentiful, but eating only rabbits was a sure way to die slowly. But there were plenty of carbohydrates in the fruit here, so a varied diet was ensured. Jeffrey knew he had no chance to catch a rabbit with his bare hands, so he'd have to find a good spot to set a snare. With this in mind, he continued down the animal trail, seeing several tracks. Something that looked like deer and also boar. But rabbits would be the most plentiful game, and also the easiest to catch in a trap.

He spotted a likely place to set a snare. He looked for bendy saplings and lianas he could use to make a trap, noticing that some of the younger trees were already missing some of their branches. He didn't think animals ate small branches off trees, but more than likely they had been broken off by a passing larger animal. Closer inspection proved him wrong, and provided him with his first hint of unease. These branches had been cut off. By someone using a tool. He was not alone.

The feeling of being watched again intensified, and as the first herald of a thunderstorm rumbled in the sky, Jeffrey shouted "Hello!?"

Scarlet continued to follow him silently, watching as he decided what to do. She had to admit, she was curious about him, it was the first time she"d seen another person in a little over five years. She jumped when he spun around, calling. But she was tucked far enough into the trees that she wouldn't be seen. Thunder boomed and Scarlet looked up to the sky. Storms could be vicious on the island. After the first one, she was careful never to get caught out in it.

She looked back at the man and knew she'd have to decide. But it didn't feel right, to leave him out in the storm, but she couldn't help the wariness she felt when she thought of approaching him. She continued to watch him as the sky opened up, rain poured down in big fat drops she sighed eyeing the wolf before she stepped out of the shadows, with the wolf at her side

She looked over at the man as she stood about ten feet from him. "You don't want to be caught out in a storm here." She says loudly over the pouring rain. She stood barefoot, her red hair tied back as she quickly became soaked. She wasn't really sure what else to say so she simply turned and began walking back to camp, figuring he'd follow if he wanted to. Five years alone meant her social skills certainly weren't great. Her wolf bounded forward, knowing they were heading home.

"You don't want to be caught out in a storm here."

Jeffrey started as a female voice spoke up behind him. The shock was increased when he turned around and saw a woman with long red hair, blue eyes, and tattered jeans and tank top flanked by... a wolf!? In the tropics? That alone would be an interesting story. But who was she? Where did she come from?

Feeling suddenly silly for prancing around in just his boxers, he didn't have time to put his clothes on. He ran after her on bare feet and shouted "Hey! Wait up!" He caught up with her and the big wolf. The wolf stared at him and made him keep his distance, but he still followed her. After a long walk they arrived at a cave. She hadn't talked during their walk, and he was intimidated by the large canine watching him.

She removed the cover and went inside. "Would it be all right if I came in?" he asked timidly. The rain was soaking him by now, and lightning flashed and thunder rolled.

Scarlet led him through the forest, picking her way gracefully, following a stream until it led to the cave. Getting to the cave, she went in, leaving the branch wall off, so he could come in as she set about starting a fire. She glanced over at his question, wondering why he asked, obviously that's why she brought him there. But then she saw the wolf staring him down. She chuckled a bit and reached out, taking a handful of the wolf's white scruff she tugged gently. The wolf made a noise but at Scarlet's next, more insistent tug, he obeyed, moving out of the man's path and he went and laid in the back of the cave.

"Sorry," She murmurs "He doesn't like people much." She got the fire going before sitting cross legged beside it to start drying off, she had some dried meat and she offered him some before biting off of her own piece and chews quietly, still observing the man. She wondered what the odds were, that he'd crash on the same island she had crashed on, what seemed like so long ago. She waited for him to come in, then got up and replaced the final wall to keep some heat in and keep the rain out.

Her chuckle wasn't all reassuring to him, but she made the big wolf move away, for which he was eternally grateful. The fire meant warmth, something he desperately needed right now. The rain was colder than he'd expected, and he was shivering. But now he at least had time to put his clothes on. They were still wet, but after a while the warmth from the fire seeped through, and he eventually stopped shivering.

He gratefully nodded as she offered him a piece of dried meat. He hadn't realized until now how hungry he was, and he tore into it with relish. Then he stopped and checked himself. God, where was his manners?

"I haven't introduced myself," he said, startled at the way his voice reverberated through the little cave. Lowering his voice, he continued: "My plane crashed. I was the only one on board, thank God. My name is Jeffrey. Plaster. I am pleased to meet you." That would do for starters. She didn't strike him as big on conversation, but she had been good enough to share her cave with him, at least for the time being. He owed her his name.

He hadn't much to offer her in return. He had a pack of chewing gum and his swiss army knife. He couldn't depend on her wanting him to live with her after the storm lifted. He would need the knife to survive.

"Say, um, are there any other caves nearby? I don't want to impose on your hospitality. Is... are there any other people on this island?"

She returned to sit beside him as he spoke, saying his name, introducing himself, she smiled a bit "Nice to meet you, I'm Scarlet," Her voice sounded just a bit rough, after all, there were times when she went days without speaking, especially if her wolf left her to hunt or just wander. She sat cross legged to finish eating, shrugging at his question, "Yes, there are many caves, and no, no other people on the island." She paused then tilted her head "If you want, you can stay here as long as you need." She chewed on another piece of jerky. "I wouldn't mind the company. It's been...a long time, since I've had the company of another human." She mused as she watched him.

No, she didn't think she'd mind the company, often times she'd found herself missing people. She hadn't been much of a people person, but she'd had her close circle of friends, and she missed them. But aside from people and some of the essential basics, she didn't entirely mind living like this, after she'd figured it out, she'd actually found it kind of fun, though she'd of course grown tired of it, and wished to return to civilization, she realized that would be quite the shock for her, after being use to living like this for so long. She tilted her head curiously "What year is it?" She wondered how long she'd actually been on the island.

Scarlet was a bit rough around the edges, leading Jeffrey to believe she'd been here for quite some time. But she was hospitable, which helped him to come down from the shock of crashing and almost dying quite nicely. His heart sank when she said there were no other humans here.

"What year is it?"

Oh dear. Jeffrey was afraid he might be the bearer of bad news. But he couldn't lie to her. He looked her squarely in the eyes: "2014. How long have you been here, exactly?"

His heart was starting to sink. If she had to ask what year it was, she had probably been here for quite some time. The prospect of getting rescued seemed bleak, especially as his transponders had conked out several hundred miles from here. His dad was in hospital with a serious stroke. Damn it!

With a voice that was starting to quaver as the reality of his situation was starting to set in, he asked her: "Have you tried signaling for help? How did you come to be here?" He paused, then: "My dad is in the hospital. I was on my way home to see him."

Scarlet frowned when he said 2014. Five years? Could it have really been that long? That would make her 26. She couldn't believe that it had been so long. She knew it had been awhile, but she didn't think it'd been that long. "It was April 2009, I was on a small plane, with my brother. We crashed on the north shore, the pilot survived nearly a week before dying from an infection." She nodded "Of course I signalled. It just didn't matter. I've never seen a boat or a plane go by, until this morning when I saw yours falling out of the sky."

She continued eating, wincing when he mentioned his father "I'm sorry. You were on your way home to him?" She asks, curious about her new companion. She moved a hand absently stroking the wolf that laid slightly behind her, using her to block the heat of the fire from his furry body, he liked being near Scarlet, but he didn't care so much for the fire, he stayed warm enough without it.

Five years!? She'd been here for five years! And his was the first plane she'd seen? Oh no. Despair set in then. His face fell as she continued her tale. They had no medicine or medical equipment. A cut or rift could be lethal if the right bacteria were introduced. Shit.

Still, she'd managed on her own for five years. And he had his survival training from when he was an Air Force pilot. And the first order of business to survive was a positive mental outlook. Jeffrey pushed his thoughts of despair away. Then his mind latched on to something she'd said. "Your brother? Was he the pilot? Or did he- I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't ask, but... you said there were no other people on this island."

When she asked about his father: "Yes, I was on my way home to see him. He's an old curmudgeon, but I love him." He smiled a little at the memory of his father and his grumpy demeanour hiding a heart of gold. His mom and his sister would hopefully look after him and... how long time before they would miss him? He told that he would fly home on his own, and...

"We have to start a signal fire as soon as possible! We have to leave markings at the beach! I will be reported as missing in a few hours. They will look for me. And then they'll find us both!"

She shakes her head "No, he wasn't the pilot. My brother died instantly, or at least he was dead by the time I came to, from the crash." She says, then nods "I've searched every inch of this island. I'm certain there's no one else here. There's not even any evidence of people once being here." She mused. She raised a brow as he explained they needed to start a signal fire. "Can if you want to. I figure it'll work about as well as mine did." She says,clearly showing she doubted a signal fire or any markings on the beach would get them rescued. "I don't mean to crush your hopes of getting rescued, but I'd settle in, start getting use to life on the island." She said, finishing eating she lounged back, laying her head on the wolf's muscular shoulder. "As it is, it'll be morning before the rain stops, and probably evening before any wood is dry enough for your fire." She said as she watched her new companion.

"We're going hunting tomorrow, if you want to join us, you are more than welcome to, or you can do your own thing and we can meet back here in the evening." She offered with a slight smile.

"I'm sorry about your brother. I'm sorry you've had to be here for so long."

He was impressed by her. She seemed to cope fairly well. Maybe too well? "Well even if a fire won't work, we have to try. And we can leave markers on the beach? Big leaves held down by rocks, forming an 'SOS'? We have to TRY!"

Despair edged into his voice now. She seemed so resigned to life here. She seemed almost... content?

"We're going hunting tomorrow, if you want to join us, you are more than welcome to, or you can do your own thing and we can meet back here in the evening."

He was torn. He had to start pulling his own weight, and fast. But he wanted to leave markers out for rescuers to see, even though she considered it a waste of time.

"Tell you what, Scarlet. I go down to the beach tomorrow and make some markers. I can pick some fruits on the way back and then I can join you for the hunt the next time. What do you use anyway? Spear? Bow? Traps and snares? Oh, and I have this."

He pulled out his swiss army knife. It contained a knife, a saw, scissors, magnifying glass, tweezers and a file. It also contained bits and pieces of screwdrivers and the like, but he didn't see the need for that here. Last but not least, it contained a toothpick.

"Did you ever consider building a hut? If we're to be here for the long haul, we might consider trying to raise a steady structure. I helped my co-pilot build his house back in the Air Force, I know a little something about building after that little ordeal," he said with a crooked smile.

Truth be known, Jeffrey was good with his hands. Coupled with an inventive mind, it had led him to found a business and make a fortune in consumer electronics and aeronautic equipment, contracting with the Air Force and Navy.

Jeffrey felt his head was in the right place again. This had always worked before. Think of practical matters, look for a way to solve problems. And if bad came to worst, this was a good place to stay. Plenty of fruit, game, and water. He might even fashion a canoe and try some spearfishing.

He had also started to notice how attractive his new... friend (companion?) was. Isolated life on this island had seemed to do her a world of good.

She nods "Sure that'd be good." She smiles, she couldn't blame him for wanting to make markers, she had when she got here. "I use this guy to track, and if we're lucky enough to find a deer then I use a spear and his jaws. But normally its traps and snares for rabbits and squirrels. If I'm feel particuarly patient I'll try spear fishing," she chuckles, occasionally she caught something, but often times she just ended up soaked and hungry.

Scarlet nodded "I tried to make a hut, but I lacked the skills and the tools. Plus some storms get pretty bad, so I decided it was easier to stay in the caves." She shrugs "But, I wouldn't mind trying again, if you wanted to." She stretched her legs out by the fire as her head rested on the wolf. She could see that the sun had mostly set and full darkness was setting in. "We should probably get some sleep, it'll be a busy day tomorrow." She muses. As was usual for her she intended to let the fire die out on it's on, giving the humans some lingering warmth to drift to sleep with.

Scarlet planned on being up with the sun, if the rain had stopped, dawn was her favorite time to hunt and check her traps. "While your on the shore tomorrow check to see if any stuff from the plane washed ashore, maybe you'll get lucky." She smiled, not much from her plane had washed ashore, but at the time, it had been enough. Most hadn't lasted the five years. She still had the first aid case, but it no longer held medical supplies. With her green eyes she watched her companion as she relaxed and lounged.

Jeffrey could only nod as she advised him and made recommendations to him. She'd survived here alone for five years, and he had to defer to her knowledge and expertise, survival training or no. He wasn't really tired, and the cave wasn't the most comfortable living space he'd seen. But it would have to do for the time being.

As night fell he instinctively drew nearer to the fire. He started at the nightly sounds of the forest outside, waking the wolf several times. It looked at him for a few moments before it lay its head down and drifted off to sleep again. He wasn't sure if Scarlet was asleep, but he could hear her soft steady breath. He marveled at her resilience. For someone being marooned for five years, she was in admirable health, both physically as well as mentally. And she was pretty too.

As the fire slowly died down, Jeffrey's eyes became heavy. His mind was still racing, but he managed to drift off to fitful sleep at last.

He had a nightmare about his father dying. With his last breath he cursed Jeffrey for not being there, and his sister gave him that icy disapproving look she excelled at.

Jeffrey slept on. He slowly came to as he became aware of a presence near him. He opened his eyes and stared right into the upside down face of the wolf. It was gently sniffing him. It licked its chops a few times then scampered outside to do its business.

Jeffrey breathed a sigh of relief before noticing how cold it had gotten. He carefully cleared his throat and quietly said: "Are you awake, Scarlet?"

Scarlet slept peacefully through the night. She woke just before dawn when her wolf wanted to leave. She sat up and stretched, smiling when she heard Jeffery's voice. "Yes, I'm awake." She said as she started a small fire to warm them up before they left for the day. "There's dried meat near the back of the cave if you're hungry. Hopefully we'll have fresh meat for dinner." She smiled again as she got up, the wolf came trotting back in. "We'll likely be gone most of the day, but we'll be back before dark for sure." If she could help it she was never out wandering after dark.

"If you follow the creek east you'll find a small freshwater lake where you can bathe, if you want." She said "You can also drink from the creek." She stretched lazily and ran her hands over her wolf as she retrieved her spear. "There's not too much in the way of predators, but there is a cougar or two and wild boar, so be careful." She bore the scars on her legs, from an attack from a male wild boar, it wasn't something she wished to repeat. She moved towards the opening of the cave, with her wolf at her heels, it all seemed natural for her, it no longer seemed weird that she hunted for her dinner with a spear and a big wolf. Maybe the fact that it wasn't weird anymore was indeed weird.

He helped himself to some dried meat, thankful for the nourishment. The thought of fresh meat made his stomach growl. He would lay the panels down on the beach, then he would forage for fruits and vegetables, maybe even put up a snare. He needed to start pulling his weight. He didn't doubt that this redheaded beauty could provide for them both, but in his world that simply wasn't done. They should at least share the workload. He resolved to try to make bows for them both, as spearhunting was risky and demanding.

He nodded thankfully when she mentioned the little lake. That would be his first stop. As she was about to leave, he remembered something. "Scarlet? It's not much, but I have an unopened pack of chewing gum if you want one. It's sugarfree spearmint." He tossed the pack at her before going down to the creek and following it upstream. He soon found the little freshwater lake, and he was soon sputtering and frolicking in the water. He was euphoric because he'd survived the crash, and it was a beautiful day. And they would hopefully be saved soon.

After the bath, he dressed and followed the creek down to the sea. It was a partially cloudy day, and the sun played with the foliage and the birds sang and screeched as Jeffrey walked down to the beach, humming a tune. He couldn't admit it to himself, but he could feel the stress of running his business melting away as he had to worry about other things, like food and shelter and survival. Speaking of which...

His luggage and other debris had floated ashore! He hauled his trunk out of the water and started sorting through it to see what he could use and what he needed to discard. He saved his toiletries and all his clothes.

Sorting through the debris, he found the plane's first aid kit. Another stroke of luck! He smiled.

He set about making a large SOS sign with palm leaves held down by rocks. This took him longer than he'd expected, but in the end there was a large distress call on the beach.

He started back towards the cave, feeling strangely happy. He hung his clothes out do dry and made sure his toiletries were okay. Then he went into the forest and started gathering fruits and berries, eating as he gathered. He also found some strong and hard saplings that could be used to make bows and arrows. He could use strips of animal hides for bowstrings. He needed fat to cure the wood so it wouldn't dry up and crack over time. And he needed feathers to guide the arrows.

Coming back, he laid the fruit on top of his suitcase and started working on the bows. He was so entranced by his task that he didn't hear her approach, nor did he notice she and the wolf was back until the wolf was almost nose to nose with him. He looked up. "Have any luck?" he asked her.

Scarlet caught the gum and eyed it. She hesitantly took a piece chewing it as she and the wolf headed through the forest. It tasted strange to her, all that flavoring, but it was a nice reminder of what life use to be like. Together the pair checked all the traps, she found a squirrel and a rabbit. Pleased with that they continued on. She looked at the wolf, she hadn't caught him many commands, not wanting to tame him, but she'd taught one "Find it," the wolf lifted his nose to the wind and began tracking, scenting for game.

They tracked for nearly two hours until they caught sight of a small, young injured boar. Before Scarlet could even aim her spear the wolf lunged. The boar had one short squeal before the wolf's jaws clamped onto it's throat, killing it with two vicious head shakes. Scarlet sppearched carefully, never forgetting her companion was a predator.

But she didn't need to worry the wolf surrendered the kill without a fuss. She began dragging the boar behind her as they headed for home. It took several hours and was nearing dusk when they entered camp. Smiling upon seeing Jeffery and hearing him, she nodded "More luck than I expected." She says, indicating the boar and the two smaller bodies she carried.

She tossed the smaller animals to the wolf, letting him eat those, since both humans would have more meat than they needed with the boar. She sat near the cave to begin dressing the animal, getting what they could use off of it. "Have much luck finding fruit?" She asks curiously as she looked over at Jeffery. Yes it was very nice to have human companionship.

"Have much luck finding fruit?"

He smiled and pointed at the pile of fruit and berries piled atop his suitcase. He couldn't help but smile as he also pointed to his clothes, his toiletries and the first aid kit. "I had much luck today, Scarlet. In my bag of toiletries I have a pair of scissors if you want to trim your hair. I can help with that if you want. I also have some soap and shampoo, but those are mere luxuries. Still, if you want them, go right ahead and take them. I think my clothes might be too big for you, but I have a travellers sewing kit. We might try to fit some of them to suit you."

He smiled shyly. "I am not suggesting that you need a haircut, a wash, or new clothes, but if you want them I'm happy to share my stuff with you. Consider it my way of saying thank you for taking me in. Now, I did some survival training in the Air Force, and judging from what I've seen so far you've done admirably on your own. I might go so far as to say 'exemplary', for not only have you survived but you seem to thrive here." His smile turned brighter as he spoke. She was the picture of health and beauty, despite her ordeal.

"Now as I maybe mentioned yesterday, I am quite good with my hands." He nodded to the materials that lay before him that he worked on with his swiss army knife. "I am making bows and arrows for the both of us. There are three things I need. Leather strips for bowstring, fat to cure the wood of the bows, and feathers for the arrows. We also need to harden the tips of the arrows by fire. With some training we might be able to fell some birds for a more varied fare although," and here his stomach growled, "boar is food fit for kings. I am impressed by your prowess as a huntress."

Scarlet sat, listening to him, smiling as he back tracked to avoid offending her. She touch her hair lightly "Oh I'm sure it could use a good cut," she grins. Raising a brow she was impressed that he was trying to build bows. "We should be able to get you those things," she says, the leather would be tricky, but if they dried the hide correctly it could work. She chuckles again when he compliments her on her hunting. "Learning to hunt while starving is a good way to learn fast." She smirks.

She cut up big chunchs of meet, stabbing several onto a few sticks, to make it easier to cook. All the inedible pieces got tossed to the happy wolfwhile she saved what they could use. "I've gotten use to life here, even enjoy it to an extent, but I can't deny, its really nice to have human company after so long." She says, finishing with the boar she walked to the river to rinse the blood off her hands.

He watched her as she cut up the boar expertly. She had fashioned tools with her bare hands, tools that were efficient for the job. His respect for her inventiveness and resilience grew. Judging by the blood around the wolf's muzzle they formed a symbiotic hunting pair. He guessed the wolf chased and brought down the prey while she administered the killing blow. Clever.

He continued whittling away on the bows, smiling as she told him how happy she was to have human company again. As she went to the creek to wash away the blood, the wolf trotting after her, he looked at her. Looking like she did and with the body she posessed she was the picture of a wild beauty. Cut her hair, put on an elegant dress, and a discrete layer of make-up, and she'd be a beauty any man would have been proud to be seen with.

Like that mattered now! He shook his head, softly chuckling at his own folly. There were serious matters to attend to. He went back to whittling on the bows. As she returned, he smiled brightly at her. It had been good of her to welcome him so unquestioningly. She had a gruff demeanor that was quickly softening as she got used to having him around her, it seemed. And he found himself wanting to know more about her.

"Tell me a little about yourself before you came here, Scarlet. Who were you, what did you dream of, what did you want out of life?" He smiled and winked before adding: "If you tell me your story I'll tell you mine."

She returned to the cave and started the fire so that the meat could begin cooking. She glanced at him and at his question nodded. "I was twenty one when the plane crashed here. My brother had been fairly wealthy, computer games or something, and we were flying back from a spur of the moment trip he wanted to take me on. Hit some weather and went down." she shrugged. "I was just kinda figuring out what I wanted from life. I hadn't attended college yet, I was working a couple of jobs, saving up for it. Though I hadn't even decided what I wanted to do yet. But I liked the idea of being a profiler for a police department." She chuckles. "I was your typical barely more than a teenage girl. I hung out with friends, partied when I felt like it, didn't date much." She shrugged again.

"It was all very normal. Grew up with a single mom and my older brother in Ohio." She said as she sat cross legged holding the sticks of meat above the fire so that they could roast. She couldn't think of much else to tell him, she didn't find anything about her life all that fascinating it was happy and normal for her, and she wished that she could go back to it. But even if they ever got rescued, she doubted her life would be normal again. She'd always feel different because of her time here. But she didn't mind it a whole lot, aside from the loneliness, she really did enjoy her time here and wondered if she would be reluctant to give it up, should they ever get rescued. "So, what about you? What's your life story?"

"So, what about you? What's your life story?"

"My life story isn't remarkable in any way. But here goes: I grew up with my parents and older sister. My mom died in a car accident when I was 12. My dad and my sister provided for me until I joined the Air Force. I flew transport planes for five years then opted out after one of my ideas for a new way for GPS's to talk to the autopilot hit it big. With my sister I started Plaster Electronics and Aeronautics and we started our recruitment drive for engineers, asking them if they head what it took to be a P.E.A. brain. Long story short, the money started rolling in and I could start providing for my dad. My sister runs the company while I oversee our various projects. I had a few girlfriends but I never married or had any children. You know the rest. I was flying home on my own because my father has suffered a stroke."

The thought of his family hit him in the stomach with full force. "And I-I'm so sorry for your loss," he said, meaning her brother. He was overcome with emotions and used a few minutes to compose himself.

She finishes roasting the meat as he talked and shifted over beside him, handing him two of the four sticks. She was curious about her new companion so she listened intently. Smiling softly when he apoligize for her loss and she nodded "I'm sorry about your dad, and that you can't be with him." She spoke softly before pulling off a chunk of meat and popping it into her mouth, chewing slowly, savoring the flavor. It had been a long time since she'd had boar.she eagerly ate, knowing that they had much more meat than they could eat. Usually she never caught enough to feel fully full, but she would certainly feel fully tonight.

He was grateful that she didn't mention his crying as she handed him the meat. It smelled delicious, and he groaned with pleasure as he took his first bite. He'd only been served boar in restauarants, an seeing as it was considered fairly expensive meat, it was often garnished to death. But eating it like this was an almost sensual treat of raw flavour. The meat was juicy and dripping with juices and it had that rich mixture of pork and game that made boar so enticing. For a few minutes, Jeffrey was lost to everything but the rich flavour and texture of the fresh meat.

"Oh my GOD! That was delicious!" He exclaimed as he finished off his meal. He was feeling full, but he insisted that they both eat some fruit and berries. A varied diet was the best way to keep healthy. Keeping fit wouldn't be an issue as the daily struggle would tone their muscles and increase and maintain their endurance.

After eating succulent fruits, Jeffrey again started working on the bows. They were coming along rather nicely. But now he needed to cure the skin from the boar, a messy and smelly procedure. He needed to do this to make the bowstrings flexible enough to be pulled without cracking and breaking.

Using his knife, he cut of several leather strips long enough to make bowstrings before curing them. Having done this, he set about making arrows.

All the while, he was aware of her presence. There was something about her he found compelling other than her good looks. it took him a while to figure it out, but in the end he realised that she was serene, that she probably liked it here. Her serenity was unllike anything he was used to with modern people, and he found it an attractive trait in her. He ventured a few glances her way and smiled shyly when she caught him looking, quickly looking away.

Back
Top Bottom