Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Turning Point (MalFrost&Malicious Lullaby)

It was a new day and it was one she wasn’t too keen on greeting considering she made it into bed maybe five hours ago. Sure, actual lawyers probably got less sleep and since she was just a runner, she should be pretty damn lucky to still get five hours of sleep. But it was also because she bartended a few nights a week at The Spot and on nights when she worked at the firm earlier too. That was how last night was. At some point though, she forgot how she got home, how she ended up getting six shots in her system and the sound of Kelly Clarkson crooning on the radio with some static in the background wasn’t too great to hear.

A groan came from her as hands came up from beneath her pillow to grip her head. But when her eyes landed on the time and that she somehow slept into her second alarm as opposed the first, she flew from the bed like someone who didn’t have a hangover and started about getting ready. Running from her bathroom, from her closet and back and all over the place. She was able to grab a quick shower, not bothering with her hair since she didn’t have time, pulled on bra and panties while her skin was still wet and proceeded to combing her hair and brushing her teeth at the same time, successfully too, if that can be believed or not. When she was in her white satin blouse with black trousers and nice pumps, she worked with her unruly raven black wavy long hair that did not want to cooperate. One side was sticking up while the other was stuck on her head and she wanted to know but then decided she didn’t care to. So she managed to tie it back in a pristine ponytail without a single stray lock out of place and grabbed her things.

In the process, her friend and ace reporter Abby texted. Her phone was silent so the text went unheard and unnoticed.
By the time she got to the firm, it was ten passed eight. She was late. So by the time she up to Bree’s desk to see what she had to do today, she got an earful until a partner walked by. Bree was particular with Esther Martin. Yes, that was her name. Esther Martin, runner by day, bartender by night. Anyways, Bree Larkin seemed to be possibly a cool woman. But not to Esther. For some reason, after a week of her working there, Bree started to be a major bitch to Esther. She was nice before and now if anyone was to face her ire for anything, it was Esther.

After getting chewed out, she was given her errands and runs for the day. She took care of the ones at the firm first before going off to others. By the time she finished, she was able to get herself some lunch and look at her phone. It had six text messages from her ace reporter friend, ten voicemails and twenty missed calls. “Shit!” She exclaimed as she instantly called her back, not bothering to read or hear anything. When the phone went to her voicemail—which Esther found incredibly odd—she called again. She called a third time and then put her phone down. Throwing the rest of her club sandwich, she grabbed her drink and made a sprint to the newspaper not too far. She popped to the basement floor and found Abby in. “Hey.”

“There you are! For crying out loud woman, do you not check your shit?”
“I particularly don’t like to.” Esther responded sarcastically, earning a scowl from Abby.
“What do you need? You spammed my phone, you know that, right?”
“That’s because someone wouldn’t answer her flipping phone. And now I am so busy, I can’t even take a moment to tell you.”
“Tell me what?” Esther asked.
“Later. Come over tonight. We’ll have wine and I’ll tell you the latest.”
She looked at her reporter friend with a quizzical brow. “Your firm is involved.” And that got her curiosity enough.
“I’ll be right over after work.”
She air kissed her cheek and then left, heading back to the firm. When she got back, Esther checked once more with Bree who bitched at her for taking a lunch break when she was not given the permission. It caused her to wince a bit, especially when a partner walked by just as Bree called an ‘incompetent twit.’ Not exactly the way she wanted to be described by an executive to a partner.

She went about her day like her ego and confidence hadn’t been bruised—as difficult as it was—before she eventually was let out. Before she left, she checked in with one of the senior partners' assistant and her good friend, Mallory, if she needed anything done. They gossiped for a bit before Mallory had to finish up. Esther left and went to Abby’s place but when she got there, the place was already opened.

“Abs?” She called out, opening the ajar door a bit more, poking her head in. She saw her cat meowing in the corner and frowned. “Hey Rumple.” She walked in and the gray cat ran to her and jumped in her arms, purring contentedly. “Where’s Momma, hmm?” She nuzzled him as she continued on. “Abby, darling?” She sang, checking the entire place before going to the bedroom, stopping in her tracks.

Blood, more blood, even more blood—wait was that a brain chunk?—blood smears and splatters and then a body, right there, in the middle of a duvet. Clothes ripped and strewn about and her lifeless eyes staring right at her. Esther would have screamed if she had a voice. Instead, she turned cold, as if she was having an out of body experience; she couldn’t move.

Back
Top Bottom