Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Discussion (Spoiler alerts)

Which house do you belong to?

• Total voters

Miss Melly

Star
DUN DUN DUNDUNDUNDUN DUNDUNDUNDUN, DAAA DUU DADADADUHHH! DUN DUN DUUU (DUN DUN DUN DUN DDUNDUNDUN) DAA DUHH DADADADUHH DA DA DUU!

If you're thinking: What is this poor girl doing with her life? Why, she's singing the Game of Thrones opening theme! You're crazy not to love it! (Or you're as crazy as I am to get excited about it and try to put words to it!)

This is just a forum for those who truly love A Song of Ice and Fire, a book series by George R.R. Martin, and/or the hit HBO series, Game of Thrones and wish to throw discussion!

BECAUSE neither is complete, this is a place to recap the most recent season 6, the fifth installment, A Dance with Dragons, and opinions and just fun little quips or theories you may have! For example: Ser Pounce will be spared due to his bravery and charm, and will sit next to Nymeria on a comfy blanket set in a golden sunbeam.

***This is your last warning that I cannot control spoilers when/as they come up! If it's a big one, you can always spoiler tag or text it out in the color white and have people highlight over the text if they dare!***

So let's discuss and have fun!

RE: Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Discussion (Spoiler alerts)

Poll is up! Have fun!

Oh yeah, I was hoping something like this would come up.

I've been more of a fan of the books but I watch episodes of the series every once in a while... so some parts of the finale the other day kinda miffed me. Really, no reference to Tyrion's first wife?

Oh yeah, and no Lady Stoneheart. I get that there's a lot they had to get through, but would it have killed them to at least referenced it? With the books still in progress it's likely she'll play a large part in the coming two books, so I really hope they don't do anything stupid and cut her entirely.

I was hoping they'd show Lady Stoneheart at the VERY tail end of the season finale!

I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE this show. No, really... I LOVE this show!!! XD I've yet to read the books, though I do plan on it since the show is that amazing. Usually any show/movie I've seen that is an adaptation of books (and that I've seen first...not an often occurrence, mind you, because usually it's the other way round for me), I tend to love the books even more and find the entire experience to be that much richer and more wonderful. So yes. I shall be giving them a read for certain.

Side note -- I did this with the Hunger Games trilogy (granted, I have already read Mockingjay though), but I did see both Hunger Games and Catching Fire in the theaters before I read the books. I loved both movies and I adored the books. When I saw the movies again after reading the books, I found them to be even better than when I'd seen them the first time. I then went ahead and read the final book of the trilogy and just loved it and given how the movie have been I know it'll be great.

Anyway, back on track. I just adore this show and everything about it. I love the grit, the characters, just all of it. Honestly, never have I seen a story unfold in such a way... it gives many stories of this nature a run for its money in my opinion and I've read much Tolkien and a fair bit of Jordan. And if this series is following Martin's books decently well (which I've heard they do, even if some things have been adapted, etc for TV) then just WOW! I am so totally sold! As for how the series itself has been going, I'm just utterly impressed with the characters!!! My current favorites are Danaerys and Tyrion, though honestly I have several that I adore. Sansa has moved up in the ranks and is probably up there now with my top two. At first I wasn't much of a fan of her, but oh my! She has come a loooong way!!! And I so love what I'm seeing there! *grins*

As for this poll I'm seeing?
<.<
>.>
FIRE AND BLOOD!

And if you do not know which house that means? Shame on you! XD

Hahahaha yes, LOVE IT! And I strongly suggest you read the books! I think what's beautiful about it is that, there are subtle and some wider differences to the books. And I believe that the books give you a greater background, including the history such as the War of the Usurper, and just the relationships of characters who haven't been seen or have died before 'Game of Thrones' begins. Sure, if people are interested, you can just wikipedia it up, but the book really offers a backbone to the story.

And I agree; the actors are definitely doing their job. There isn't really a 'weak' character, which is why I enjoy Martin's books, especially giving his females such STRONG leads. I honestly believe the women are entirely crucial and could easily rule as well, if not better, then most of the men who claim to be ruling! Their clever in their own ways. Tyrion is a badass. He shall continue his reign of badassery! And Sansa's story does get better. I love sneaky little finger. That actor has it down pat!

*nod nod* Yes, I have all the plans to read these books because I'm a junkie of dense novels such as this one. As I said, I'm a fan of such writing like Tolkien and Jordan. So, when you get into thick and heavy plot lines like this where you have a really amazing history and geography and just, well, everything... I can get a bit OCD and really heavily into it. Meaning, I'll go all out! So, if there are supplemental books available... yes, I will get them and I will read them cover to cover. As it is, I've freaked people out with how well I'm able to follow the characters and locations that are given in the series alone. lolol. Part of that is personality since I'm that person who gets intensely absorbed by such things. XD I cannot help myself. But, you have to give credit to the author for creating such a rich world that beckons you to follow everything that is going on in this amazing world they've created. :)

Woot! Glad to hear that Tyrion's badassery will continue. He is just freakin' awesome! He is the most awesome of the Lannisters! Seriously, he could take them all with that amazing mind of his...and his humor! I fucking love that guy!!! XD And Sansa! Wooooo.... I was like, I HEART YOU FOREVER when she lied for Little Finger! Seriously, it showed a dark streak, not to mention it was an awakening of the Nth level. You knew right then and there that she grew up and that there was no turning back. She might be a virgin, but that girl's innocence is gone in every other sense of the word. And I think that is utterly amazing and I think the girl portraying her did that so fabulously!!! Just love her! And yes... Little Finger... he is pretty awesome. Hell, all the characters are! From the good guys (are there really any true good guys? lol... just like are there any true villains?) to the villains... all are amazing!

Awesome! If you have questions, I am here. o_o Haha! <3 And I will say this as honestly as I can; sometimes, the big just gets so heavy. Like, you have to put the book down, haha. It can take a long time to finish, each book respectively. And absolutely! Give credit where it's due! And poor George R.R. Martin, don't rush him. D:

He is! He's my favorite little lion. ;D Yeah, I like how it's set up that she won't and then BAM she's on his side. I also loved how in the series it looked as though NO ONE lived at the at the Eyrie! I was like, "where are the people?!" And then they started to magically show up, haha. I do like the design of it, and again, there is only so much the creators, directors, and producers can do. And I think it's so ironic; she is a virgin, and yet has been so corrupted and so broken in every other which way. It's quite fascinating that an author can think this, and naturally, it's a bit twisted.

It's so hard to call anyone a 'good guy' in GoT. Everyone - even honor bound Ned Stark - had an agenda. They know what they want and they choose how to get it, honor bound or not; they think they're right. And whether we like it or not, that's how the world can truly be sometimes. It's a reflection in our own history!

Well GRRM was ultimately seeming to go out of his way to deconstruct everything about high fantasy novels and medieval romanticism. He wanted to show a world where idealism was all but crushed out by the general shiitness of Westeros life where good and evil are very hard to see.

Outside of Gregor (Who is for all intents and purposes, a total bastard and a general freak of nature) the Others (Though we really know nothing about their origins or intentions) Qyburn (Westerosi Mengele) and some others I'm probably forgetting, it's honestly hard to see prople as being generally evil.

Likewise, pure good doesn't seem to really exist. Ned Stark was probably the closest to a straight-up hero, almost like your standard fantasy protagonist for his belief systems, but again it's a deconstruction so he got the Ice just to show what would happen to an honourbound man in a world as honourless as Westeros.

I love that, very interesting that you share that. Thank you.

And I agree with you completely.

Looks like we have a little three way tie at the Poll!

The poll is way too tough for me. Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Euron Greyjoy, and Sandor Clegane are tied for my all time favorite character. Seeing how theres two Boltons and just one Greyjoy and Clegane, I'll proudly wave the flayed man banner and keep my blade sharp.

They left out a lot from the books, Melly. However, its not that big of a deal to me. I for one enjoy the changes they made in the TV series. I hate despise when a TV show or movie strictly follows the books. I mean sure it might be enjoyable for the people who hadn't read the books, but if you read the books than whats the point of watching it?

@ Vic: Aww, I'm sorry I made it tough for you! I wanted to just put the 'usual' three or four houses, but where's the fun in that?

And they sure did leave out a lot from the books. But I admire your look on things; it's a refreshing way to take on the books, and other people - with Martin of course - are turning that story into their own. In fact, I'll admit there have been some fun moments in the series that I appreciated that didn't really hurt the story, but were either interesting or clever interactions.

Vikings are cool and all, but the Boltons are just too bad ass. For Christs sake a common saying of theirs is "A flayed man holds no secrets."

I kinda wished they mentioned Tasha more and the line about Tywin not shitting gold after all. I cant wait for October because Martin is releasing the full history of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yeah, their saying is pretty... intense!

Also, he is?!?! How exciting, that'll be nice! Do you think his next book could be released next year? I thought I read an interview with his publisher that was something along the lines of, "We hope to see it in 2015, but we cannot rush etc..."

Yup heres the link http://www.georgerrmartin.com/grrm_book/worldoficeandfire/

Honestly at this point I don't even know if he'll live long enough, to finish the series.

Vic Rattlehead said:

Honestly at this point I don't even know if he'll live long enough, to finish the series.

Yeah that happened to Robert Jordan too, it's the kind of thing his fans are worried about.

Still, I imagine George has very detailed plans listed for the last two books in case anything happens so the saga can be finished.

MellowYellow said:
Vic Rattlehead said:

Yeah that happened to Robert Jordan too, it's the kind of thing his fans are worried about.

Still, I imagine George has very detailed plans listed for the last two books in case anything happens so the saga can be finished.

Allegedly David Benioff and D. B. Weis know how the story ends, but I'd rather Martin pen it than someone else.

Vic Rattlehead said:
MellowYellow said:
Vic Rattlehead said:

Allegedly David Benioff and D. B. Weis know how the story ends, but I'd rather Martin pen it than someone else.

I agree, but the "show" must go on just in case, well, you know.:s

Tyrion is my absolute favorite. He's just so likeable. Like everybody else is running around doing crazy shit to protect themselves from "assumed" threats and he's very above it all. Even "playing" the game once he got to the capital, he still slept with his girl and made sure everyone knew exactly what he thought about stuff. And he's not "bad", you know? I don't think I ever disagreed with anything he did. ^^

Lord Baelish has got to be my second fav and for exact opposite reasons. XD He is NOT afraid to get his hands dirty and yet he remains clean, prim and proper in the end but everyone is left with the impression of him being sorta crummy underneath it all. And yes, that was the best climactic moment watching Sansa lie for him. I want to think Baelish will be in love with her because she looks so much like her mother or whatever, but honestly, I don't trust that fucker for a second! X3 Not ever since he slipped behind Ned Stark and put a knife to his neck when he was captured as a traitor. Even so, he is charming, he is cunning and he's always got something up his sleeve. I love the son of a bitch. Heehee!

Aside from those guys, I'm really just attracted to relationships in the show. Like, I liked Twyin and Arya's relationship, even as "on thin ice" as it occasionally was. I liked Arya's relationship with that hot assassin. I liked her traveling with the Hound - that just tickled the shit out of me. How he didn't take her shit but she didn't take his either; they were beautiful, soft, rough and cute together. Warm warm fuzzies! I liked Tyrion's relationship with Pod - the squire kid - and Bronn - even though that sellsword didn't step in for him at the trial by combat like I wanted him to... I understand why he didn't. The bastard. I liked Jaimie's relationship with Brienna - those two were sort of like the warm fuzzies I got from Arya and the Hound but for different reasons. I liked Jon Snow with Ygritte and I thought he was a goddamned fool to give her up - didn't she offer to run away with him at one point? Shoulda gone, Jon, you stupid fuck.

The Red Woman and her Baratheon "king" can go to fucking hell. Daenyrus had me at first when she was Khaleesi and slowly lost me the further her story went on - just as far as interest. Yes, yes, you're oh so very good and lovely. She put her dragons away before she even got a chance to do anything interesting with them - and um, wtf??? Jesus! She talks all about responsibility and what hers is but she didn't take the time to train her fucking dragons and keep them to heel? That coulda been so great, her riding those beasts over Westeros and burning fields and shit. But no... she locks them in a tunnel because she let her "Great Dane" puppies jump all over her cause it was cute and then the fuckers got big. Not their fault and she should be ashamed! I feel it is a premonition for her eventual encounter with the twisted and corrupt power in the capital.

When I first started watching, I was 4 or 5 episodes in and I kept saying "But what about that thing in the snowy woods and that supernatural stuff? When do we get more of that? D: " Hoooo boy! Did season 4 finish up with some supernatural shit or what!? XD

I just hope Euron Greyjoy appear in the next season and the actor portraying him, does a good job.

THOUGHTS on the new casting? Also, bloopers from season 4. Cause we needed them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
CASTING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri8RhSnw

BLOOPERS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7Fs9HJvs0

The Martell's seem good, as does Hotah and the sand snakes.

But what is up with Myrcella? Isn't she supposed to be a kid around Tommen's age? She looks older than Joffrey.
They did it to Missandei too...

Halfway through the first book - There's some novel differences, but on the whole, I think the show is more coherent.

Mounting interest in the Reeds, though. They're just behind the scenes in so many important events. Not the least of which is the death of Lyanna Stark.

Also, Littlefinger and Varys are Chaos and Order incarnate, respectively. I'm sure of it.

MellowYellow; I noticed that, too! I'm wondering if the little girl they had was simply 'unavailable.' But would /you/ make yourself unavailable when it came to being in GoT? I wouldn't, hehe. Though in reality, they are taking a lot of liberties - and are taking pride in those liberties when it comes to the television series. For better or worse, at this point.

Trygon; I agree! I have always found interest in the Reeds - especially in Lyanna's death. I can't wait to learn more, hopefully!

Interesting way of seeing that. Order may not be a 'good' thing, and neither Chaos a 'bad' thing as we would sometimes associate them with. o:

I dunno, I think it would've been fine to hire a child actress for Missandei. One of the things that made her impressive in the book was that she was a kid who could match wits with the likes of Varys if she had to, and her presence added to the whole 'motherhood' angle that Dany was supposed to be going through.

That or they could've got another actress like Maisie- an older actress playing a child character. Seriously she's 17, that shocks me every time.

Back
Top Bottom