Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An Unwanted Union (sispuppet and Bella)

Once Alexander was fed and burped, she checked the locks on the door and then moved to the bathroom to get a bath. It felt nice to scrub up after staying in the hospital two days and she was glad for the hot water. Once cleaned, Farrah slipped on her cotton nightgown then moved into the bed, smelling of wildflower soap. As she lay beside her husband, she couldn't help but smile and curled into him, soon finding sleep.

The the thing about newborn babies is that they have to be fed often. By morning, Farrah had already gotten out of bed five times to feed and change Alexander before finally giving up on a restful sleep when morning arrived. With Alexander tucked in her arm, she decided to make breakfast, yawning ever so often and just exhausted. "Mmm...you certainly have mommy tired," she said,leaning down to kiss his forehead. Once some cinnamon loaf was in the oven, she sank down in the rocker and sighed, curling the blanket around him, rocking gently back and forth, her eyes drifting shut. Despite being exhausted, she wouldn't trade him for the world.

Michael wakes up in the morning knowing that his wife hadn’t gotten much sleep. He couldn’t feed little Alex, and since Farrah was already up, she would go ahead and change him. Smelling the delicious food baking in the oven, He gets out of bed and washes up quickly before finding his wife on the rocking chair and giving her a kiss. “I’m sorry. I wish I could be more help.” He tells her, running his hand through his wife’s hair. “I guess that will be one nice thing about finding this job.” He remarks with a smile. “Maybe with a bit more of a community, we can find some people to help out where we need it.”

After eating the delicious breakfast, Michael kisses Farrah and their son good bye, wishing her good luck and asking her to pray for him. The search takes all day, and by the end of it, Michael is running on a few ounces of fuel, and even less hope. There were so many different churches. For some, he wasn’t the right kind of Christian. For others, he was apparently not the right color. That part had caught him by surprise, since even in the compound’s bibles, he never saw any mention of that. The few times he got lucky and found a church for which he was the right fit, it turned out they weren’t hiring. Michael is just about ready to call it a day, but decides to try one more church. He says a silent prayer in his truck before stepping out.

Michael returns home with a smile on his face. He immediately greets Farrah with a deep kiss. “I found one.” He tells her excitedly. He would need to fill out some paperwork and attend a few classes so they could make sure he was well oriented enough, but the church was in need of help, and the job would pay well enough. “The other men have families of their own, so I’m sure we can keep Alex surrounded by good people.” He tells his wife, kissing her again.

Farrah smiled when he greeted her that morning, albeit tiredly. "Don't worry love. He will eventually start sleeping through the night. And when he begns to teeth is when he will get a bottle..or so the nurse suggested," she smiled then looked at him as he ate breakfast, letting Alex gnaw on her finger. She stood up as he got ready and then smiled at him, kissing him as he left. "I will," she promised.

Once he was gone, she ate her own breakfast then set Alexander down for a nap, cleaning up and then caught a small nap. Once awake, Farrah got dressed then dressed Alexander, placing him in his carriage and then making her way to the grocery so she could get something for dinner. As she entered the local IGA, situated only three blocks from the house, she nodded to the local clerk and looked at all the offerings, deciding on stuffed peppers. As she walked, she could of swore she felt eyes on her and glanced around but put it down to just being paranoid.

On the walk home, she got that eerie feeling again but then Alexander started crying. "Not to worry," she soothed then walked into the house. After putting the small batch of groceries away, she fed Alexander, burped and changed him, then set him down for a nap, pausing when she saw the bedroom door opened. Funny, she could of swore she closed it. Stepping into the bedroom, she saw the window open and sighed, walking over to it and shutting it before making sure it was locked.

The rest of the day passed up eventfully and she had just pulled dinner out of the oven when Michael came in, telling her about how he had landed a job. She grinned and kissed him back. "That's wonderful..." She kissed him again and then drew back, brushing strands of dark hair from her face. "Well sit down, let me fix you some dinner. I made stuffed bell peppers." She urged him to sit before fixing his plate, glancing at Alexander before settling down to eat herself. "Michael, did you leave the bedroom window open this morning before you left?" She asked curiously.

Michael holds little Alex in his arms while Farrah finishes getting the food ready. The baby falls asleep sucking on his finger, bringing a smile to the proud father’s face. That settled it for him. The child was made from another man, but Michael was his father. Planting a kiss on his son’s forehead, he lays him down in his crib before going to his meal, happily digging in after the long day of searching. Farrah’s question gets his attention and he looks at her in surprise. “The window was open?” He asks her. No, that couldn’t have been right. He was positive it stayed closed because he was worried about Farrah or the baby getting a chill. There’s a sinking feeling in his stomach. “Farrah, how was your day? Was everything normal?” He asks her, trying his best to hide the anxiousness in his tone. When Farrah tells him about the weird feeling she had been having, his worry only grows. “Well, I’m sure it’s nothing. The baby probably just has you a bit on edge. Hopefully you’ll get some more sleep tonight.” He reassures her.

Later that night, as they’re getting ready for bed, Michael double checks all of the locks. He also tries to discreetly search every closet in the house to make sure that everything was in order, and that no one was hiding out in their home. “I love you Farrah.” He mutters, kissing her before lying down to sleep. Every sound that night has him waking up and getting out of bed. He goes into the living room with Farrah whenever she leaves to feed Alex, and he stays with the baby for a few minutes to make sure he falls asleep before going back to bed. By the time morning comes around, Michael’s eyes are barely staying open. “They won’t need me for a couple more days.” He reassures his wife. “So I’m with you today. Was there anywhere you wanted to go?” He asks her, smiling as she gets breakfast ready for them. He stands behind her with Alex in his arms, occasionally sharing a kiss whenever she can spare it.

Farrah turned and looked at him, giving a soft laugh. "Dreamland maybe. I'm exhausted. Now I know why ladies in the Middle Ages had wet nurses," she smirked then stirred the gravy around in the pan before looking at Alexander as he held their son so tenderly, despite having his own sleepless night. "It looks like rain. Might be a good idea to stay in. I got some meat from the butchers yesterday and we have can goods. Not as though we need to rush out to grab food. Besides, Alexander shouldn't be out and about so often. He is still pretty new to the world..." She smiled, stroking his little forehead and then pulling the small pan of biscuits out of the oven. She made their plates then slowly took Alexander into her own arms and laid him in the small cradle they kept by the kitchen table. With her foot rocking him gently, she glanced at Michael and smiled. "Thank you Michael..." She said after a moment. "Thank you for being with me, for loving me, for loving Alexander...I don't know many women half as lucky as me to have such a good man like you..." She leaned forward and kissed him then sighed. "You should qualify for sainthood," she teased lightly.

Michael smiles and nods, picking up Alex. “Why don’t you head inside and get some sleep then?” He suggests, giving her a kiss. “The baby is all fed now, and I can handle changing him just fine. So you go ahead and rest a little.” He follows her to the bedroom, raising Alexander’s hand to wave at her. “Say, sweet dreams, mommy!” He tells the baby as he closes his eyes and slowly falls asleep in his father’s arms. Michael sits with his wife until she soon drifts off to her own dreams, smiling and stroking her hair. He then gets up and lays Alex down in his crib, making sure the child is safe.

Letting out a deep breath, Michael can’t help but feel a bit anxious. It was probably just his imagination. There was nothing to worry about. That man was in their past now after all, he couldn’t hurt them anymore. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to check. Going to the phone, Michael calls up the number Lucas gave him, but there’s no reply. It could be that they were still asleep or out of the house. Clenching his fist anxiously, Michael goes to the window, watching as the rain starts to come down. He scrunches his eyes as a bush rustles. Was he just seeing things? It was probably just the rain and the wind. No, he had to be sure.

There’s a pit in Michael’s stomach as he picks Alex back up and goes to Farrah. Slowly, he shakes her awake. “Farrah, my love, take Alex and go into the bathroom.” He whispers to her, unable to hide the anxiousness in his voice. “The phone line should reach, so take it with you. Stay in there and lock the door, okay?” He kisses her and hands the baby over before heading into the kitchen. He didn’t have many options. Michael had wanted to buy a gun, but they never had enough for it to be a reasonable purchase. He settles for the broom, and picks up a knife in the kitchen as well, slipping it through his belt before heading outside, towards the rustling he had seen.

Farrah lifted her head, looking at Michael with a frown. "What?" She asked softly, seeing his anxiousness. She nodded, taking Alex in arm before moving to the bathrooms she set him down in the tub, surrounded by blankets then got up, moving to the kitchen to grab the phone. She saw Michael heading outside and made her way back to the bathroom, sitting the phone down on the floor then hear what sounded like a gunshot. She froze and then heard the door open again and heavy footsteps thudding as well as a dragging sound. Then she heard a loud smack. She locked the door and then heard the heavy footsteps grow louder and then a shuddering slam against the door. She gasped and then moved back, grabbing the receiver and then starting to call the operator to get the police but then the wood splintered and Matthew entered, gun pointed right at her.

"Oh hello my sweet little wife," he growled. She stood up, backing up against the tub then crying out as he grabbed her hair and drew her against him, the pistol barrel situated against her jaw. His face fell in her hair, drawing in a deep breath and then she heard Alexander beginning to cry. He stiffened then grabbed her hair, yanking her back and slamming her into the wall. She scrambled up as Matthew went to the tub, lifting a now screaming Alexander in his arms. "My boy. What a set of lungs he has," he grinned then looked at Farrah, pointing the gun back at her. "Living room slut," he ordered and she stepped back, eyes on her son as she went into the living room then gasped when she saw Michael bleeding and ashen, his breath shallow. The bullet wound right through HHS shoulder. "Michael!" She exclaimed then looked at Matthew. "You sorry bastard!" She exclaimed, lunging forward but he pointed the gun at her, making her freeze.

"Easy there little one...I might accidental slip...and pull the trigger..." She looked at the gun then back at him.

"You give me my son..." She whispered.

"Your son? I don't think so..." He smiled. He looked bad. His clothes were ripped, his hair unkempt and he had a scraggly beard.

Farrah looked at him, his eyes were crazed, the look of a man that was desperate with nothing to lose. The most dangerous sort of man. "No...no your right...he is your son.." She said. "And it was wrong for me to leave. I was bewitched....the devil had a hold of my soul...he led me astray from my husband and I let him. I'm so sorry..." She said softly. "Please...forgive me. I will go back to you...I will do everything you say without question," she promised, hearing thunder rumble, shaking the rafters. "I promise..." He looked at her, hand wavering and then lowered the gun, sitting Alexander down in his crib before drawing her close, kissing her. She kissed him back, wincing as he yanked her hair and then drew back from her lips, dropping the gun and then starting to rip at her dress. She let him, guiding him toward the kitchen and as he pinned her to the counter, searched the counter, finding a knife. She gripped it and as he started to lift her skirts, plunged it into his side. He drew back with a growl, slapping her hard and she fell to the ground, scrambling toward the dropped gun and then turned. As he raised his hand to bring down the knife she had stabbed him with, she fired, the shot going right through his chest. He clutched the left side to his chest, blood blossoming from the wound and he staggered back before dropping, blood filling his mouth. She sobbed and then looked at Michael, fingers shaking as she touched his wound. "Michael! Michael. Please...wake up...please..." She begged him then grabbed the phone and calling the operator. "Please...I need the police...817 Juniper....I sh-shot an intruder...and my h-husband...needs an ambulance...p-please..." She hung up the phone once the operator had confirmed police were on their way and then Farrah looked at Michael, tears falling. "Michael. Baby come on...look at me...please," she begged,hearing Alexander cry but knowing he was safe. "Please baby..."

Michael waits until his wife and child are safe in the Taking a deep breath, he opens the door to the house and steps outside. “I know you’re here!” Michael calls out to his father, but there’s no reply. Seeing the bushes rustle, Michael moves towards them, he has the broom up and ready, swinging it down towards where he expects his father to be. The gunshot was like a clap of thunder right in his ear. Michael presses his hand to his side and pulls it away wet and red. Before he even has time to react, Matthew pushes him to the ground and steps into the house. “N-no… sto-“ Michael can’t get the words out before collapsing. He’s in and out for the rest of the day. He hears the sound of another gunshot somewhere in the background, knows that Farrah is next to him at one point, there are flashing red lights and people talking, then nothing.

When Michael finally wakes up, he’s lying in a hospital bed with Farrah and Alex by his side. Lucas and his family are there as well, waiting just outside. He’s quickly filled in on what had happened. Farrah and Alex were fine, thankfully. The gun didn’t do any permanent damage to their bodies or ears. The wound Michael received missed all his major organs. He would need some bed rest and would have a scar, but otherwise should be up and about very soon. For Matthew, it was a different story. Their father was dead, having bled out on the kitchen floor. The police weren’t holding Farrah accountable though, considering it to be self-defense. He had been on the run as it is. Some of the former followers in the compound had felt betrayed and were filing charges against him for whatever they could. He was wanted for major charges of tax evasion too. None of that mattered to Michael though. There was only one thing he cared about. “I’m so glad you’re okay!” He says, hugging Farrah tight and kissing her on the lips. “Both of you, I’m so sorry if I worried you.”

It’s a few days after Michael is cleared from the hospital that he starts up at the church. The situation is awkward a bit at first because of his history, but the current deacon brushes it off. He tells Michael that he sees good in him, and knows that the younger man only wants to help people. That was all that mattered. It was a philosophy Michael could respect and carried with him throughout the years. It was thanks to this thinking that their church quickly became known for accepting anyone who wanted to hear the word. It helped him with his children too, all of them.

When Alex first came to his father about his worries concerning his urges, Michael did his best to reassure him without judgment. “No, this doesn’t make you a bad person. Just remember one thing. Never hurt the girl.” He reminded his son. “If you love her, then you’ll do everything you can to keep her safe.” He was in his sixties when Alex, the oldest child became the last to get married to a girl less than half his age. Michael and Farrah were concerned, of course. It brought back too many memories. Most of those were washed away when they met their daughter in law. It was obvious the two were in love, though there were still some issues. She was pregnant, young, and they were married after knowing each other for only a very short time. Caitlin was also incredibly quiet when the subject of her own parents came up, especially when they asked about her father. In the end, Michael and Farrah weren’t too worried though. After all, it wasn’t as though her secret could be as shocking as theirs.

Back
Top Bottom