Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

RE: Quix's Writing Samples And Other Stuff (Comments Welcome)

Arggh, I need to drop in and visit my brother on the way home, something I'm not particularly looking forward to, as it will be eleven hours since I arrived at work, and we're complete opposites. Dealing with him when I'm tired is always difficult. He's the type who could talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles, and takes five thousand words to express that which can be said in a hundred, whereas I'm one who despises redundancy, am generally concise, and not interested in what I consider to be irrelevant details. As one might be able to imagine, conversations between us can become frustrating on both sides. I usually just nod, and pretend to be interested, whilst internally telling him to shut up. Sometimes externally; which makes the conversations a little more interesting! Not that we don't get along most of the time, just differing personalities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, that wasn't the reason for my post. Since I've got some time, and have caught up with all responses, I thought I'd attempt to get some thoughts out of my brain, and onto the screen.

I received a PM yesterday in regards to a rather dark roleplay that I've started, which is to only become darker, from someone who stated the violent rapist character I portrayed in the first couple of posts was 'going to give her nightmares'. Whilst the message was actually complimentary, it got me to thinking that people may read the story and be turned off by the subject matter, misogyny, and violence against women. Not that the opinions of those I don't know concern me too much - I write to my partner's tastes, not theirs, - however, I thought it an opportunity to explain my stance on writing fictionalised rape and violence.

I don't gain any sexual energy from it; it's done for story/plot purposes, not as kink; however do I enjoy writing it, and dark themes? Yes, I do. For the same reasons people like to watch shows and movies such as Law and Order SVU and Silence of the Lambs, and read novels like American Psycho. The darker side of human nature intrigues me. Rape, in real-life, is one of (if not) the most vile and heinous crimes imaginable, but this is not real-life, it's fiction.

What I refuse to ever do is write an 'enjoyable' rape scene, where the woman actually likes, and is mentally aroused, by being raped, or where it turns out to not really be 'rape' (My constant repetition of the word is deliberate, as to distinguish it from 'non-consensual'). In my strange little mind, I find the types of scenes where a female needs to be 'forced by a male, to demonstrate what it is she she really wants or enjoys, because he knows best', to be patronising and condescending, and with not much positive to say in regards to female independence, emotional intelligence, or knowledge of their own bodies and desires.

I believe that legitimises the concept of it being acceptable for a male to force a woman to partake in unwanted sexual acts much more than do rape scenes in which the sex is brutal, violent, harrowing, and in no way enjoyable for the victim. It's why, apart from the fact I generally find them cliché, overdone, and hence boring to write/read, that I also tend to (not always; there are exceptions) shy away from forced-pleasure scenario's.

Lastly, if anything I write can, in some small way evoke a response, or elicit a reaction - good or bad -, then I'm happy. I consider that one of the duties of fiction.

Law and Order:SVU is one of my guilty pleasures, pretty sure I've seen the majority of its episodes!

Another guilty pleasure: Tim tams, now I wanna try them all!

Just feeling guilty: about leaving my poor partners so abruptly, but at least I gave a little warning? I am on day 2 out of 3 of examinations, and tomorrow I will be finally done! And most likely brain dead xD Normal posting schedule should resume next week :)

No need to feel guilty, I knew you had a hectic couple of weeks. Just ace those exams, then I think you deserve another visit to the Happiest place on Earth :) Good luck.

Hah, you have Disneyworld, we have Tim-Tam's. The white chocolate ones are yummy, as are the dark chocolate, Turkish Delight, double-coated, and, well.....all of them, XD.

I'm with you. I've seen just about every episode of SVU, and still watch the repeats on cable. Silence of the Lambs, I love as well. This has to be one of the greatest movie scenes of all time:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd7e1fXYIuM[/video]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to self: I should really stop leaving this thing logged in all day at work!

Our entire landline phone system went down at work, which would've actually been quite pleasant, if I wasn't the one who had to liaise with the phone company to get it fixed. Not helped when you call them, and their first question is 'Why aren't the phones working?" I had to exercise some of my legendary self-restraint in order to not answer with,"If I knew that, I'd be a fucking telephone technician, and have no need to call you, would I?"

That was right after I'd picked up the phone to call the company to let them know our phones were down, only to realise that wasn't going to work, then remembered I'd also left my mobile at home, so I may have already been a tad frustrated. Looks as if it won't be up until tomorrow, however, in the meantime, I've at least managed to arrange every call to be diverted to one lucky lady's mobile. She's in for a busy night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a PM from a friend today, who I hadn't spoken to in a while, to pass on a complimentary message. You know who you are, and it was much appreciated. Thanks, XD

I had to smile when one my partners asked me to not respond too fast to our story. It was a first; as it's usually me who requests that from her, and generally needs a couple of days break between posts on any given roleplay, to allow my mind to unclutter and re-set so that I can focus on the next. I was tempted to try and send a response back within the hour, but well, since I'm a nice guy. Apparently!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a similar note my brain went into a spin when drafting a couple of responses today. In one, I'm portraying some rather despicable and empathy-free characters, to set-up the motivations for the future direction of the story, whilst in the other, I needed to write a deliberately caring, vanilla and 'boring' male (some may say that refers to all of my characters) to be the antithesis of another in the scene. Swapping between the two was quite an interesting challenge, and I'm not sure if it says anything about me, but I found the former easier to write, though attempting to portray the latter was fun.

Technology, gotta love it and hate it sometimes!

Now that I'm back in the world of the living and mostly caught up on real life things I will be sending out replies hopefully today for stories I have been neglecting so be on the lookout!

In other funny news I nearly spit out the beverage I was drinking this morning when I was browsing through a sales flyer for a particular store and found an advertisement for Tim-tams! Nearly ran out and bought some that moment xD

Thought it was time to stop by and leave you a message Andy. My dancing shoes are getting cold. It looks like you have dedicated, talented partners and wonderful friends. I'm glad to see you doing so well. Now. Will someone please tell me where you guys are buying these Tim-tam things?

If you are stateside you can buy these wonderful treats at Target! <3

No worries, Silv. Your posts are always worth waiting for. It's good to hear things are finally starting to return to normality.

I think you should bulk-order from that catalogue, before they run out of stock, XD

I'm glad you could pop-in and say hello, Nich. Keep those dancing shoes on, we'll do the Time-Warp again.

As do you, and the ability to have a fun OoC conversation, or exchange a little banter, just makes things that much more enjoyable.

As for Tim-Tam's; over here, you can get them virtually anywhere you find food or snacks. I was going to ask Silv, and pass it along to you, but it seems she's already answered the question, XD. This journal does come in useful for something! Thanks Silv.

It's quite amusing, really. I've never heard anyone taste them, and go 'what the hell's all the fuss about', which is what I expect. They are pretty damn good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, if you haven't already, you both need to try vegemite. It's more of an, um, acquired taste, than chocolate!

Target. Okay thank Silv. Sadly I live in such a small southern town we do not even have a Target here, but I'll try to remember it for when I'm out of town.

Another Australian friend of mine who I interned with at disney world would actually order tim tams from amazon if you are ever that curious AndNich! They're seriously delicious, especially when eaten for breakfast with coffee :D

It's funny you mention them going out of stock Quix because the first time I found them at target they were actually out of the original flavor and only had the caramel! Which were amazing of course, but now I've got to try the classic flavor. ;]

My response will be up for you tomorrow, after so much writing I had to do last week I am procrastinating a bit xD <3

Particularly good breakfast food when you bite off each end, and drink coffee through the biscuit, known as doing the 'Tim-Tam Slam'! You do need to try them, Nich.

The original ones really are the best Silv, though when craving something super-sweet, you can't go past the white chocolate.

No worries with the post, I'm sure your brain needs a break. I look forward to it when it arrives.

And, because I just had to:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPE-vDY8Yo[/video]

Thanks Mali. It pretty much describes my mental attitude/personality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's now officially Autumn (well, it has been for a few weeks here, since our seasons commence on the 1st of the month, rather then being in line with the Solstice) which means football season is just about to commence.

It mostly depends in which state you were born, as to what code of football you follow over here - we have four separate professional codes -, and mine is Australian Rules. I may be a little biased, but I think it the best spectator sport in the world, and a unique game.

For those who may not have seen/heard of it before, here's a couple of clips; accompanied by classic Australian songs, the first 'One Day in September', by Mike Brady (this is a pure football song, written for that purpose), and the second, "Holy Grail", by Hunters and Collectors, one of my favourite Aussie bands.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiPWbEgoLSM[/video]

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k8G7i-825M[/video]

Happy Autumn, Andy!

Holy Moly, Sweet Cannoli!

After reading the ongoing saga of Tim Tam's, my curiosity was peaked to the point of making it my personal quest to hunt for the elusive Australian taste concoction, finding them at my local Target. Oh my goodness, what a heavenly delight! Just as you had mentioned, they are worth every scrumptious bite! And if you're anything like me, I made it to my car and opened the wrapper like a kid at Christmas, even feeling a bit like a drug addict who was going to get their fix while looking to see if anyone was watching as I put it to my mouth to savor the inaugural bite. My taste buds cheered and applauded while forcing me back inside to purchase the rest. How dare they!
I am now officially hooked and have found a new addiction. (doing away with the likes of Cheetos, which I swear are laced with crack!) Thank you, Andy, although it looks like more workouts are in store...but for the time being, totally worth it!

Here's a little piece of trivia: Do you know how Tim Tam's got their name? They were named after a winning horse at the Kentucky Derby in 1958.

Happy Spring to you, Michelle. From what I've read, I think you've been looking forward to the change of season much more than I have. I hope that snow clears!

Those delicious concoctions are part of our devious plan to take over the world; one Tim-Tam at a time! I'm different, I'll buy a packet, and leave it sitting unopened for a week because I know, once opened, they're not going to last long. Luckily they're slightly easier to find over here. Now, those crack cheetos, I haven't seen before, but I think I need to try them.

And, no I didn't know that's how they get their name. It appears someone's been doing her research :)

Okay, so I promised to allow someone the last word in a conversation, and had to stop myself from responding. However, after a little internal discussion, I've concluded that placing a reply (which should hopefully make some sense) on my journal instead really isn't cheating! Us males can convince ourselves of anything if we try hard enough!

I don't think it strange at all. In fact, I'm very similar. When I was a kid, my Father was trying to direct me into becoming a bookmaker. My mother soon put a stop to that!

Peaked, more than surreptitiously glancing behind me to find an escape route. I'm also certain it's much better than you think.

I congratulate you on your ability to not even so much as infer a question; something I'm sure I'd have been unable to achieve!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I just had the best compliment from one my partners, who told me that my post 'made her angry'. Yes, that is a good thing :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was also mentioned by a friend that my 'Internet presence' was intimidating. Whilst that may be partly deliberate, in an effort to attract the types of personalities I prefer to write against, and best 'click' with OoC, and I can be quixotic and provocative, or speak my mind at times, I did find it humorous. I'm sure my partners and those I swap OoC banter with would attest to the fact that I'm anything but. As someone once said to me, 'The writer is not necessarily as they write.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote-H.-P.-Lovecraft-the-most-merciful-thing-in-the-world-44007.png

Uggh, those are the worst. Just tell me in a packet what needs to be done and treat me like an adult and assume I'll read it or something! XD

All to understandable, it's like when you were in school and they went around having everyone read a section. But you could have been five pages ahead at the snail pace some people read. So you have to find mind numbing ways to keep yourself from yanking out hair. Awful.

I can only hope coffee makes your day better however and it will be over before you know it! Perhaps they'll throw in some funny stuff to keep it light and interesting.. or here's to hoping~!

workplace-ecards-23.jpg

Thanks for the sympathy :) I know it's nowhere near as bad as those who've just done their exams, or are about to do them, but it's why school never suited me in the first place.

The coffee should both keep me awake, and provide an excuse for bathroom breaks!

It's a mandatory course required for all staff to maintain a legally required registration so it's stuff most of us already know, which makes it worse. However, the Principal of the business is keen to get it over and done with (he's looking forward to it about as much as I), so hopefully it won't actually end up lasting all day.

Edit: So, as always, the anticipation was worse than the reality. Not that it was 'fun', but it's completed now, and we crammed eighteen hours of 'official' training into just five; justified by the fact that we'd been sent the material weeks in advance and, of course, each of us had spent days reading and reviewing it.

Then to come back to a random PM, sent just to compliment me on my thread, and my titles, made my day even better. Knowing I made someone laugh always brings a smile to my face. Saying that, other messages make it obvious people still aren't reading my threads thoroughly, or are simply unable to comprehend them.

Ah, adulthood and lying. No finer things then that when you grow up. XD

And you should be complimented on the witty titles you have produced. They are eye catching even after being seen multiple times in the search thread.

Sounds like someone is experienced in those finer things? XD And, we didn't lie, it was an assumption made by the facilitator; possibly influenced by the fact that she was an ex-employee, and a good friend of the owner, who may have requested she attempt to make it as painless as possible.

Thanks. Most people see the intended humour in them, but I get the odd one who doesn't.

Hey, hope I'm not intruding!

I really enjoyed reading your journal. Yes, I read the whole thing in two days. I just randomly clicked on it because I've been going around and reading some role plays and journals to see what people on here are role playing. Sadly, I have been disappointed by a lot of stuff I've read. Mainly the plotless stuff. No offense to anyone. To each their own. ;)

It really is an inspiration seeing the things you post and also your writing samples were really good. I am still striving to be a better writer and having a hard time with getting my posts up to the standards that yours are. Length wise and quality wise. I need to be better at describing things, too. My weakness, I think.

Recently (Just like two minutes ago) I wrote a response to one of my role plays on another site. We've been hitting around 3-5+ paragraphs and the role play has been going decently. At least I really enjoy it. I've been trying to be better and write longer posts, but I get a OOC message from my partner which makes me confused and makes me think my trying harder was for nothing.

She said:
Hmm... is it just me, or does it feel like the posts are starting to get a little bit big, again? I honestly don't have any problem with smaller posts or anything, all I really care about is that I have something to respond to.

All I honestly did was write what I wanted to write and there was no filler, as far as I believe. Nobody has ever complained about a post being too long before. A new one for the record book.

Dang and according to Google Drive my post was only 356 words. I guess it looks longer on the forum. Her post after mine was 405 words, so I don't see the problem. That's hardly long at least according to some advanced role players I see, like yourself.

It might be a style thing because I tend to write several smaller paragraphs and she writes huge fat paragraphs. My 356 words looks longer than her 405 words because of this.

Sorry for rambling. It was just a recent thing that happened while I was reading your thread, so... just a rant that maybe another role player can relate to.

I'm intimidate by your awesomeness. While normally I have to be convinced to write a female character against a male character (Written by a male) is because all I have tried turned into smut fests with no plot whatsoever and bored me to tears, felt more like they were trying to cyber me. If you are ever looking for another partner and willing to give a chance to someone who might not be able to match your post word count for word count, let me know. I'll send you a proper PM request if/when I get the courage.

Now I'm going to go study your interest checks some more and then read one of your role plays. ;) Thanks for listening to my ramble.

Edit: I went ahead and sent that PM. ;)

Argggh, the joys of waking up at 4:30am, and not being able to get back to sleep. I really need to curb my caffeine intake! I wonder what eight hours of uninterrupted sleep feels like. Or even five.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, you're not intruding, Lyssa. I appreciate your comments, and not being a visual person, visual imagery and physical descriptions are my weakness.

Not sure what's going on with your partner there; I'd go ahead and ask her. I've haven't been told my posts are too long, though I have apologised in advance for 'sending a novel', and am sure, on occasion, my partners have thought it. Sometimes they just end up much longer than I anticipate, because of the way in which I write/compose my posts. I start from where/how I want the post to end, then need to find a logical way to get it there. I'm not worried about the length of my partners response either, however I'd much prefer several smaller paragraphs, than great walls of text; I find them much easier to absorb.

I've responded to the rest of your message in PM

I, too, wonder about the joy of uninterrupted sleep. Thankfully I'm not very prone to insomnia, although I do own two precocious kitties who aren't shy about letting me know when they're hungry. Which usually happens at approximately 4 in the morning. xD

But in other good news, I passed my exams! Wooo~ I get to graduate! And that means slightly more free time to write and a reply coming your way in the near future. <3

Also to jump in on the discussion of post length: While it can sometimes be "intimidating" to see Quix's impressive responses I honestly enjoy reading every word of them and generally don't feel pressure to match word counts. What works better in my opinion is simply to match what is going on in the scene, if there's a lot of dialogue and action then yes the replies can be longer but there isn't a rule in roleplay that says you need to match word counts and paragraph sizes; it's just about having fun writing! :D

First of all, congratulations on passing your exams. With flying colours, I bet! That wait for the results must be nerve-wracking.

I'm (more than) pleasantly surprised to see your post up already. Now, I'll have to start working on my own; I'm very much looking forward to the reintroduction of Sophie and Adam. I wonder what they've been up to since we left them at the end of our last story. Nothing ethical, I'm sure, XD

I tend to get up when I wake up, and have become used to very early starts. It's hard to break the routine, no matter what time I actually get to bed!

I love cats (although I may pretend otherwise), but unfortunately I'm allergic to them, and horses. Not badly, but enough to be annoying. Fortunately, dogs I'm good with. I guess it's either let the kittens jump on your bed, or listen to them meow, and scratch on your door for the next few hours? Either way you'll be losing sleep, XD

Awww, thanks for the kind words! Of course, I enjoy reading every word of your posts as well; that we both do is probably why we're still writing together after a year!

On the word/paragraph count comment, I agree, though Silv; I'm sure I have, once or twice, apologised for sending you a particularly lengthy reply (hoping that it wasn't a chore to read, or respond to), and commented on your ability to make each post the perfect length, according to what's occurring in the scene :)

Liking what, and how each other writes, and what their character brings to the story, as well as attempting to compose something which you hope/think the other person will read and enjoy, is where the fun comes in. Knowing your writing partner likes what you've posted is a good feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and of course, what's the first thing that happens when I arrive at work at 6:30am, after planning to curb my caffeine intake?

The cleaner, without a word or particular reason, randomly decides to buy me a double-shot flat-white!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you! The wait indeed made me quite anxious, but now that I've officially passed all I have to do is make it through the next month of classes.

So what do I do to celebrate? Write a reply for you, of course. xD Oh, and I went to Target and finally found the original flavor of Tim Tams! And they are amazing, as promised. Now to make the package last all weekend...

Speaking of coffee, I noticed that Starbucks is now advertising this flat-white that you speak of. May have to try it soon! Or get someone to buy one for me ;]

EDIT: My Australian friend sent me this [http://www.buzzfeed.com/beckycatherineharris/questions-australians-have-for-the-us#.tmDKKaZvY] hilarious video and I figured you would enjoy it haha.

Back
Top Bottom