Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

Mr Quixotic said:
Funny though, not sure if it's the radio station I listen to, or just that songs are released/get airplay later over here, but I remember you had the lyrics from Elle King's 'Exes and Oh's' on your profile, and I didn't know where the hell they'd come from, until a couple of months later when I first heard it!
I have a weakness for pithy double entendres, especially sexy ones. I liked that one (always want to come, never want to leave) because I felt it cleverly encapsulated my BMR addiction.

Another of my favorites from a song was "Don't hold it against me unless it gets hard." :angel:

xanaphia said:
Mr Quixotic said:
Funny though, not sure if it's the radio station I listen to, or just that songs are released/get airplay later over here, but I remember you had the lyrics from Elle King's 'Exes and Oh's' on your profile, and I didn't know where the hell they'd come from, until a couple of months later when I first heard it!
I have a weakness for pithy double entendres, especially sexy ones. I liked that one (always want to come, never want to leave) because I felt it cleverly encapsulated my BMR addiction.

Another of my favorites from a song was "Don't hold it against me unless it gets hard." :angel:

I think you might have had that one the very first time we talked! I do recall it, and damn, here I was giving you all the credit for coming up with both :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's amusing how, where I live, everyone gets so excited on the rare occasion, meaning maybe once every couple of years, that snow falls, which it has overnight and today!

gyljfdO.jpg

However, I don't there'll be any need to call in the snow-ploughs!

KFj6p79.jpg

It always seems to happen that I receive approaches from friendly, enthusiastic, and intuitively compatible new members, who express a general interest in writing with me, but if I'm not immediately attracted to the suggestion they offer up, their having no threads, posts, of f-lists on the boards, causes me be at a complete loss in regards to offering anything back in return.

Whilst I think I'm quite good (and hopefully my partners would agree) at plotting, throwing twists and turns into a story, and seeing an infinite number of possibilities in regards to future directions, or turns it could take once I have a base to work from, I'm am terrible at coming up with plots, or even general concepts, from scratch.

I requires big-picture context, and information, to provide the initial spark, and intuit compatible connections from what someone else has expressed in their own words, which can then shoot my mind off in random directions, and open up infinite possibilities. However, until I have it, in the way I need it, my mind remains a blank-slate.

I've likely lost a number of good potential partners due to that and the way my particular thought-process works, because, after a couple of PM's of not really getting anywhere, I tend to then ask if we can leave further discussion until they have more information available, before I project my internal frustrations onto them, xD A lot of times that results in the opportunity being lost forever, as it's hard to express exactly what I require, and it can be taken as a rejection.

However, right at this moment, it could be a good thing, as I woke up to three posts yesterday, and another later that day which means I now have four to write replies for, with another couple on the way. I knew the deluge was coming. Thanks guys
:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Watched an incredible documentary last night, which proves that truth can be stranger than fiction. A true-life story about a French conman who convinced a Texas family that he was their son, who'd been missing for three years, even though he looked nothing like him, and couldn't even speak English without an accent. Definitely recommended for anyone with an interest in psychological thrillers, human nature, and our unique propensity for self-delusion, and ability to ignore all evidence to the contrary, when we want to believe something is true.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuFOX0Sy_o[/video]

Just read that they're filming a re-make of Stephen King's IT, probably my favourite novel of his, and the one that had the most impact on me when I first read it - after Cujo, which gave me a love of dark, 'unfair' endings. So in honour of that, and because, well who doesn't love clowns, I thought this thread needed an image of the original PennyWise:

AlfGPtQ.jpg

I've a sudden craving to write an evil clown character!

I always find it amusing when someone approaches me offering up a character with humongous breasts, as if that's going to be a deciding factor as to whether I'm interested in writing with them when, in fact, it's extremely low on my priority list! If I do have a preference in that regard, I'd phrase it as 'proportionate to frame,' though personality and an independent spirit will always far outweigh anything else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An extremely mentally frustrating and exhausting day at work, deserves to be ended with some light relief, xD

A conversation yesterday brought to mind cartoonist, Gary Larson, famous for his Far Side series, and as Wikiepedia puts it, where, "Often, the behavior of supposedly superior humans was compared with animals," which is what I love most about his work.

Funnily enough, the second cartoon (first below) of his I came across when googling was very appropriate to the current happenings in mine and Lait's Scaremonger story. So, thought I'd share that, plus a few of my other favourites.

91bBE0q.jpg

BlRRXkY.jpg

49S53pY.jpg

YUitZHX.jpg

TXNHnUY.jpg

NrziMc9.jpg

Mr Quixotic said:
Just read that they're filming a re-make of Stephen King's IT, probably my favourite novel of his, and the one that had the most impact on me when I first read it - after Cujo, which gave me a love of dark, 'unfair' endings. So in honour of that, and because, well who doesn't love clowns, I thought this thread needed an image of the original PennyWise:

AlfGPtQ.jpg

Every time you say not to do something, I must do it anyways! I wish I hadn't! And if you do get to play an evil clown character, that will be one role play of yours I will most certainly not be reading! (I say that now, but considering how easily susceptible I am about giving into something I shouldn't have, even after being fairly warned, I will most likely read it just to see how scary of an evil clown you play >.<)

Malicious Lullaby said:
Mr Quixotic said:

AlfGPtQ.jpg

Every time you say not to do something, I must do it anyways! I wish I hadn't! And if you do get to play an evil clown character, that will be one role play of yours I will most certainly not be reading! (I say that now, but considering how easily susceptible I am about giving into something I shouldn't have, even after being fairly warned, I will most likely read it just to see how scary of an evil clown you play >.<)

Exactly why I placed the spoiler tag there, because I know your love of clowns, and that you wouldn't be able to resist, xD

You're just fortunate that I didn't randomly decide to change my avatar to Pennywise, which did cross my mind.

And I think I could play a pretty good evil clown, considering many people think I'm a clown already! Just have to work on the evil part!

xanaphia said:
Mr Quixotic said:
Just have to work on the evil part!
Quix has jokes. :D

And a red and yellow wig!

I'm not sure if it's the same there, but clown, as in 'You fucking clown', can be used as an affectionate term of abuse, or in place of 'dickhead' here, xD

Forbidden Fruit said:
You'd do well as a clown, Quix. Everytime I look at you, I think "clown".

I knew I could rely on you for moral support, Fruit, and out of all the never-ending stream of compliments you send my way, that may yet be the greatest of them all!

thinkingofyou.jpg

And a public shout-out to one of my partners, for just introducing me to this song, which otherwise I likely would never have heard of.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9lDtvaGQio[/video]

I can definitely see the link between the lyrics, and what I'm looking for in my request threads.

And, whilst I'm on songs, one I shared with a friend yesterday, from one of my favourite Australian singers and songwriters, Paul Kelly.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzd_bcVDnJQ[/video]

I've never read Harry Potter, and know very little about it, but still think it's an achievement worth celebrating.

Congratulations to the Australian 'DropBears', who overnight won the World Quidditch Championship, inflicting the first ever loss on the USA team in the final.

xU5ySNX.jpg

Next stop, gold in Rio! If our athletes don't drown or get electrocuted first, in the not-exactly-five-star Olympic Village Accommodation!

Have a hit a little slow patch with my stories, as a few of my partners are busy with real-life, and may not be able to post for a couple of weeks, with that rate possibly becoming the norm with a couple, at least for the foreseeable future. As always, it's not a worry for me, and I fill the slow patches by googling random shit.

This classically Australian dry-humoured, and not-exactly-subtle, stand up routine on the 'logic' of religion being one of the things I came across.

I'm sure anyone who's ever read this journal is aware of the respect and admiration I have for that particular concept, which is why I love this routine and wanted to share with any fellow Atheists. If you're of a different ilk, I'd advise you don't watch, as you'll likely find it offensive, and not share my opinion on its comedic brilliance.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJ-_OTvsqo[/video]

And another video, this one especially for Ariamella, who'll appreciate its significance, xD

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzMuZ_Tq4U[/video]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heading down the coast for the weekend to see Mum, and catch up my Uncle and Aunt who are visiting her, so won't be around from tomorrow afternoon onwards, except on the phone.

And the second I mention a slow patch, I get deluged with approaches (well, hey, two is a deluge for me!), responses from a couple of partners, and a mind-fuck PM that means Internet Killers once more appears to be rising from the dead! Sumi, that magic dust worked, :)

Off down the coast in the morning, so won't be responding to PM's for a couple of days. Have a great weekend all.

Welp, at least it worked for someone! XD Maybe I should use some of that dust on my own threads and see how it works.

Sumi said:
Welp, at least it worked for someone! XD Maybe I should use some of that dust on my own threads and see how it works.

I felt bad when I saw your comment, to know you were still struggling, so tried sprinkling some on your thread, too. Glad to hear it seems to have had some effect!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't one-hundred percent sure, but now I am! Internet Killers has resumed, and keeping my fingers crossed that we will get a good run at it this time, without real-life intervening again. Regardless, even if it does, I now think this story is one that will forever remain open to be picked back up, regardless of hiatuses, and time between posts.

Also have another potential story in discussion,, so I'm pretty sure I've hit full capacity now. Let's see how long I can go without bumping my threads! I guess it will depend on when I hit a slow patch again, as even if I know a deluge is coming, I don't seem to be able to help myself.

The coast was good, one of mum's sisters and her husband, - my favourite Aunt and Uncle - who I hadn't seen for quite a while, were visiting from Interstate as well, so was enjoyable to catch up with them. Mum's also booked another Holiday, this time a cruise to Papua New Guinea from Northern Queensland, in October, so it's nice to see she's moving on, enjoying life, and doing a few things that's she's long wanted to, but couldn't, without Dad.

Arggh, the frustration when you have written on your RT's, "I write on thread - no IM/PM/Email, sorry", so don't bother to check, and spend almost a week plotting with someone who's approached you, only then to find out they only write via Email. My fault for not confirming earlier, I guess.

Oh well, at least it provides an excuse to bump :)

You should go see it, but really, you'll have to read the novel first to truly understand the character. I recommend reading it in bed, during a thunderstorm, with howling winds, in the early morning hours, when no-one else is at home!

And, talking about creepy clowns, Pennywise has nothing on this one; easily the creepiest of them all!

n9HoksH.jpg

No wonder my parents let me watch the Exorcist when I was eleven years old, but warned me to stay far, far away from McDonalds. What I didn't understand then, I do now.

Yeah I'm not gonna read it xP not like that anyways! All lights stay on! And the weather has to be perfect or I will just read one of my romance erotica novels xP

Yeah Ronald McDonald is pretty creepy...like scary clown and creepy pedophile status. I wish my parents warned me away from McDonald's too.

Malicious Lullaby said:
Yeah I'm not gonna read it xP not like that anyways! All lights stay on! And the weather has to be perfect or I will just read one of my romance erotica novels xP

Yeah Ronald McDonald is pretty creepy...like scary clown and creepy pedophile status. I wish my parents warned me away from McDonald's too.

I know you too well, you won't read the novel, and you won't see the movie! I mean, you might go to the movie, but you'll likely have your eyes closed the entire time, xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking about seeing. Or not. In my random googlings, came across an intriguing Facebook essay by Blake Ross, the co-founder of Firefox who, like me, is Aphantasiac, or lacking the ability to conjure images in his mind.

For anyone interested, the entire essay can be found here, but the part that struck me as most pertinent, and helped confirm some of the reasons behind my particular writing style, what attracts me/doesn't attract me to other's writing, or fiction in general, and that there's nothing inherently 'wrong', in placing little importance on visual imagery in story-telling ( my lack of, which has long been a self-criticism of my own writing), were these comments:

"And, suddenly, fiction clicks. Paty says I used to worry that “I feel like I’m doing reading wrong.” Descriptive language in novels was important to her but impotent to me; I skip it as reflexively as you skip the iTunes Terms of Service. Instead, I scour fiction like an archaeologist: Find the bones.

"The slender, olive-skinned man brushed the golden locks out of his hazel eyes. He was so focused on preparing for the assassination that he burned his tongue on the scalding cuppa joe (hazelnut, light cream)."

That becomes: There’s an assassin.

I hurdle over paragraphs and pages, mowing down novels in one night because—while others make love to the olive-skinned assassin—I’m just fucking his skeleton. Some books are so fleshy they’re opaque: Lord of the Rings numbs. But Lord of the Flies gnaws, because I could meditate on the idea of society-gone-wild forever. Animal Farm is awesome. 1984. The splendor of Hogwarts is lost, but the idea of a dementor is brain fuel. And 2 + 2 = 5.

Nobody likes an author who shows off, of course. But friends tell me it is the written imagery—when done well—that delivers the very joy of reading. I can’t understand that, but I finally understand this: You really are annoyed with the actor in 50 Shades of Grey. It’s really not how you pictured him in the book."

When I read that, it was like, "Yes, you described me perfectly, I'm not the only one it doesn't mean anything to, as we have ways to view the world/see a picture, other than visually."

Malicious Lullaby said:
Why does he gotta slam Jamie Dornan playing Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey? Be gone Rudesby!

Because, obviously, Christian Grey was such a memorable, well-written, three-dimensional, multi-faceted, likeable, emotionally deep and sympathetically believable character in the novels, that no actor in the entire history of film could ever do him justice! :)

Back
Top Bottom