Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

RE: Quix's Writing Samples And Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

Quix:
I'm really, really struggling again. Ugh
Because now I don't know if I want to keep it all vintage-y or veer towards keeping it modern. But then I thought what's the fun in that?
Half of everything onm BMR is pretty modern/set in a modern time
So 40-70's I think sometime between there would be cool and different.

And then there's the problem of me being too shy to actually invite people, because I'm a big jerk who's not going to make it open and let people join on their own. /sob

But I did really like the name Jolie gave me.
Has a nice ring to it.
Hnnng.

Ari:

Cards Against Humanity is probably one of the best games ever.
Who ever came up with it should never go hungry.
I could play that for hours and hourrrs. We all should play one day. xD
That'd be interesting. Me, You, Mali, Quix, Jolie, Silva. Everyoneee!

Ariamella said:
I love Scrabble. It's my second favorite game after Cards Against Humanity. The trick there is to know a lot of words with few or no vowels, and also every possible two letter word. Those really come in handy toward the end of the game xD.

I've never heard of Cards against Humanity, I'm going to have to google it now, since it's apparently so awesome! I agree, with what you said with Scrabble. It doesn't make losing any better when we have ten cents a point riding on each game, to increase the motivation a little, XD.

lait said:
Quix:
I'm really, really struggling again. Ugh
Because now I don't know if I want to keep it all vintage-y or veer towards keeping it modern. But then I thought what's the fun in that?
Half of everything onm BMR is pretty modern/set in a modern time
So 40-70's I think sometime between there would be cool and different.

And then there's the problem of me being too shy to actually invite people, because I'm a big jerk who's not going to make it open and let people join on their own. /sob

But I did really like the name Jolie gave me.
Has a nice ring to it.
Hnnng.

I think the concept would fit really well in a gangster/vintage era. Cynical, chain-smoking private eyes, hard-drinking, hard-living reporters, and tough but vulnerable broads.

Don't worry about being shy, you'll do it, I know. Or I'll help! XD

Definitely keep the name.

There's an online version of Cards Against Humanity (it's really close to it at least), and I think we'd have a super great time.

I am going to invite myself to Cards against Humanity game, because why not?

xanaphia said:
I am going to invite myself to Cards against Humanity game, because why not?

You're definitely invited; the more the merrier. I was just in the middle of googling it when your comment popped up. Sounds fun. Only issue from my end could be time zones, but I'm sure the super organised Ari will take care of that!

Been at work half an hour and I can tell already; it's going to be one of those days. The company I work for is a Franchise, with our sales system linked to the Head Office, and I go to log-in, only to be told that the current version has expired, and needs to be upgraded. Thanks for telling us!!! That'll be half a day, or more, wasted, trying to organise getting it done, whilst in the mean-time no-one else can actually do anything.

Not helped by the hammering and drilling going on either side of me as the air-conditioning contractors move some vents. I don't get migraines but, at times, can be extremely sensitive to noise and light, and this is one of those times! If I owe you a message, it may be delayed some.

PS: And for those who giggled at the word dipstick, you may be amused to know that the company I work for is colloquially known, Australia-Wide, as 'Hookers'.

.... You work for hookers? :cool::cool::cool:

Mr Quixotic said:
Hookers pay me.

A Paid Investment Manager for Prostitutes, an ancient and well respected profession.

Jolie said:
Mr Quixotic said:
Hookers pay me.

A Paid Investment Manager for Prostitutes, an ancient and well respected profession.

Very true, Jolie. They say prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, but it does beg the question:

"Which did come first; the Pimp or the Prostitute?"

That's an easy one. The prostitute came first. The pimp wasn't even in the room when the sex was going on.

AndNich123 said:
That's an easy one. The prostitute came first. The pimp wasn't even in the room when the sex was going on.

Good point Andy; but I'm not sure if prostitutes enjoy it that much!

I think I'm coming down with a case of the man-flu, and finding it difficult to concentrate for extended periods, so if my chatter is sporadic and nonsensical (or more than usual), that's most likely why. Will get to story responses when I can. For those not familiar with the term, man-flu is defined as:

"The condition shared by all males wherein a common illness (usually a mild cold) is presented by the patient as life-threatening."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was reading one of my stories earlier in anticipation of the next post, and for the first time I can recall, became pissed with something I'd written. Not for the writing itself, but at the characters. There's something not quite right when a rapist, and a serial-killer, are possibly the most sympathetic of the males; as in a way I find the cowardly attitude and lack of moral principles in those who surround them, even more vile.

This is so-far one of the most challenging stories I've yet written, not for the above reasons, but because of it's complexity, and need to properly set the scene to provide context for what's to come; with the current protagonists not really 'interacting' , or attempting to find a resolution, but instead being deliberately kept at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I must say, Lait, you're wonderful to work with, and all the groundwork we've put in is just going to make the pay-off even more fun, XD

Creating a sympathetic rapist and serial killer has to be a challenging writing exercise in and of itself. You do see the occasional sympathetic serial killer in literature and on the screen (Dexter being a more recent example; type "sympathetic serial killer" in Google images and Dexter fills the screen), but it's still rare to do it well. And in the case of Dexter, it's a bit of a cheat (he kills lots and lots of vile bad people) in that we hate all the people he kills. Hmm. Now a sympathetic rapist is a much rarer bird. The only one I can think of at the moment is Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and again, her rape is acceptable, because the victim is made utterly vile.

To make a true rapist or serial killer sympathetic (meaning when we also sympathize with the victims) must be that much harder. I see why you're challenged by this story-line; it sounds like compelling fiction.

alg_sweeney_todd1.jpg

I fell in love with Lisbeth Sandler; in the first novel anyway, she became a little too much of a 'super-heroine' for me, after that; and agree her victim was utterly despicable. I've yet to see the movies. I'd rather watch the Swedish versions, as from what I've read they're more true to the trilogy, but need to be in the mood for sub-titles.

Dexter, I keep meaning to watch, but I find it difficult to get into a show if I haven't seen the original episodes in the series. I also have a very short attention span when it comes to commercial breaks. Even Hannibal Lecter, in a way, garnered sympathy, but I can't recall feeling that for a fictional rapist at all, or think of how one could be made to be. Lisbeth Sandler's actions, to me, were more about revenge, than the act of rape itself.

That character in my story isn't sympathetic as such; in fact he's a true asshole; it's just that I find the cowardice of those who could offer help but refuse to, in order to look after themselves, more despicable in a lot of aspects.

Hopefully the serial killer/s will be both sympathetic, and vile, XD.

Sympathetic rapist- this is debatable, but Pecola's father in The bluest Eye comes off as sympathetic. Not for the rape mind you, but his character is sympathetic, especially once the reader gets his back story.

Another weak example is a police officer from Crash. He isn't a rapist, but he does molest a woman on screen. He later saves her life, so whether he is redeemed is questionable.

I, unfortunately, haven't seen/read either of those Xana. but just did some quick googling, and may have to download Crash!

As for sympathetic rapists, I can sympathise with the characters but not with the commission of the act itself. I think there's just such a an instinctive aversion/hatred towards it, and it hits closer to home than the idea of a serial-killer striking, that it's difficult to 'justify' in any fictional context - which is what I'd require to be sympathetic/empathetic -, but particularly in a modern day storyline.

Maybe a post-apocalyptic scenario, where it's for 'The greater good of humanity'?

Right?
xD I can't wait to get through all of what we've been planning up till now. Its just gonna get better.
It's like... that part of the sandwich where you start to taste the condiments and each bite is better than the last, but then there's that surprise pickle you didn't ask for and it makes you mad. But you get over it because the sandwich is just so good.

If you're getting mad at your own posts then we're doing something good!!

If I could just keep my head up long enough, I'd get a damn post out to you. I have an idea on what I'd like to writttte but last night I got this prickly feeling in my throat and started coughing/choking real bad so now the incision on my neck is sore and numb again.

I can't laugh/sneeze/yawn/cough or anything that involves moving my jaw/neck too wide yet. XD It's such a pain in the ass.

I like the anology!

It's funny how you don't even think about all the simple little things you do every day, and take for granted, until you've got an injury!

No worries at all with the post; just get to feeling better.

Why, oh why, do my brother's, who basically refuse to speak to each other, both have to separately contact me, and involve me in shit between them, that's got nothing to fucking do with me. No matter how many times I've told them, it still happens. Seriously, I thought we all graduated pre-school a long time ago!

I think it all stems back to the time when my parents had to lay flour down on the floor to obtain the 'footprint evidence' that proved my then four year old brother was lieing when he said that it really wasn't him who was sneaking into my then two-year old brothers room, stealing the toys from his cot, and throwing them over the back fence!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've pretty much caught up on all story responses, with only one left to write, which is pretty much drafted, but I need to come back to and look at with fresh eyes.

A couple of partners have been caught up with real-life for the past week or two, unable to post, and another story which is in planning won't be starting for a little while, so I'm kind of thinking I could possibly take on one more, but am trying to resist searching. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.

Is it just me, or do others also get that insecure feeling, where they'll look at their reply, and delay hitting the post button for as long as they can because they're still unsure, no matter how many times they've read it, if what they've written is actually okay, or instead, nothing but a pile of @#$*?

I constantly think that. I'm like, "Wow, I wrote about 7 paragraphs worth of bullshit." But then I end up posting it anyway just because I'm to lazy to retype it. Then the best part of my day is when my partner messages me and is like, "I loved your post so much, Ari!"

And I'm just like, "O thx I tried so hard to get it perfect" lol :cool::cool::cool:

I get like that when the story is in sn awkward place and you just have to get something fown so you can move past it.

Thanks Victorian, As much as the comments/questions are directed at others, they're also directed at myself. I find throwing out my random musings on here helps me clarify and understand my own process.

The Faulkner quote is interesting, and definitely something to ponder. I appreciate the comments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xana - I know what you mean; I think there's times you just need to get something on the page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ari - Eventually I just get to that stage where I say 'fuck it', and hit the button. One thing I find slightly amusing is that it's often not the replies I'm most proud of, or think one of my better, that garner the "I loved your post so much" comments. Regardless though, it's always awesome to receive them.

Quix, the fates are saying to get to that stage where you say 'fuck it' and hit the button.
Also, the fates are pretty sure that a certain malicious lullaby will be really looking forward to it and super really excited.
Don't we aim to please? :D

Patience is a virtue, Mali; would you like me to teach you?

It's done. Now, if you respond within the hour, you're in.........!
(I was going to say trouble, but you'd most likely just take that an inducement!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read this news article this morning, and it pissed me off. I can't believe kids are still being told/taught this shit. Kudos to the Mother.

Back
Top Bottom