Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Into the dragons den. (Alton Sautner & loneiysong)

Alton Sautner

Planetoid
He examined the sheet of paper, his eyes focused on the number at the bottom. "100,000G" Letting out a sigh to himself he continued to walk through the forest, the light shining between the tree's was beginning to set. Pulling out a torch from the satchel he had hanging over his shoulder he stopped for a moment and took a few seconds to ignite the drenched cloth with a spark. He could see the light reflecting off the large rocks not too much further ahead.
As he picked up his pace it was no more than a minute before he reached them. Sliding his hand across the large rock he slid his hand over the handle of his blade. "This must be it then." He traced the side of the rocks holding the torch up until he came across a large opening in the side of the rocks. Holding the torch out the light reflected off the walls giving him a reasonable amount of vision deeper into the dark cave. Taking a deep breath he took a step inside, the cave was silent. The only company being the echo of his foot contacting the hard rocky floor. As he continued to walk deeper into the cave he kept his hand tightly gripped over the pommel of his blades handle. It wasn't long before he came to a larger section of the cave, almost like a large open room. Raising the torch a little he looked up, unable to see the light reflecting off the ceiling. His breath began to grow heavier as he continued further into the room. His eyes darting around for any sign of movement.

When you were a dragon, it was wise to know the goings on of your village. It never did one's health god if you went out of your cave one morning to stretch your wings then, thwunk, an arrow through your wing, paralyzed, being stabbed by several angry villagers. Why were they mad? Bad luck straight to your little midnight snack you had a few nights ago. She had seen the signs come up. A kings price. A purse full of gold, you would have whatever you wanted. Live like a king. It made her sick.

Ritter was sleeping on a large pile of pillows. Blinging a golden eye open, she smelt human. It wasn't too long for her to remember, she was once revered as a goddess. She healed the sick and so much more. Hearing the growl of a flame and smelling the tang of sweat and metal, she slowly got up and stretched very much like a cat.

Her cave was like a maze. He was in the open room. There was another torch in the other room and in came a beautiful woman in knights armor.

"Looking for the dragon too? Sad to say she is not here." THe female knight had tight cropped blonde hair and golden eyes that looked around and smiled wider.

He was a little startled to see another knight in the cave, and to come across them by complete incident seemed a little too good. Examining the knight for a moment he offered a light nod continuing to walk a little closer. The first thing that stood out to him was the colour of the eyes, something about them. He raised a brow lightly as the knight referred to the dragon by gender. Although it wasn't too big of a detail it came off as a little strange. He lowered the torch as he got closer.

"No, I actually wasn't aware that there was a dragon here, I'm simply lost. Do you know your way around the cave? Maybe you could help me find the way out."

He blatantly lied but kept a straight face doing it stopping about a meter away from the female. He slid his hand away from the pommel of the blade. He couldn't be sure but something seemed off about her. The last thing he wanted was to start an unnecessary fight.

She watched the knight approach with his sword drawn. But she was not afraid. She looked at him with something akin to her eyes as pure exhaustion. What happened to the human race? Since when did they begin to fear her so much as to put out a kill on her. She looked at the knight and frowned.

"The way out is the way you came. You can still see daylight from the opening you used." She motioned with her free hand. She knew that he was lying. She looked back at him. "Now, is there another lie you wish to tell me?" She canted her head and then watched him closer. She looked down at his sword and reached down to her own sword and put a hand on it and frowned watching him.

Simply tightening his grip on the sword in response he dragged held it at an upward angle facing her. Taking a step forward he dropped the torch onto the ground placing his second hand over the pommel of his blade. "I just want to know where the dra-" Pausing his speech he examined her before tilting his head a slight bit to the side. He knew as much as he needed to have a reason to kill her. Placing his foot behind the torch without hesitation he kicked it up at her before sliding his foot forward thrusting the sword aiming just below the ribcage.

Lights even the torch when out when teh knight struck out at her. A low growling was heard. The heat in the cave began to increase. The air became thick and hard to breath.

"So knight, you attempt to fight me? Let us do it in our true forms then. Your knight form versus my dragon form." She hissed and growled deep into his brain. Something gripped his sword and tore it out of his hands. The light from the opening was fading as she was blocking it off with her tail. She growled and hissed and lit hidden lanterns. The cave was decorated in paintings old and beautiful depicting several scenes.

There she stood, a large white dragon her wings spread a bit and filled teh cave.

"Now shall I practice the same kindness you were practicing towards me?" She stepped forward adn snarled down to him her golden eyes gleaming. "Maybe I will eat you and leave your head and put it outside my cave." She snarled down at him her pearly scales glowing.

Having his sword ripped from his hand he immediately took a step back keeping in mind where his sword was thrown to. As the cave lit up he noticed the large white dragon standing in front of him and blocking the exit.

Clearly outmatched he took a second step back raising his hand gesturing to hold on a moment. "More will come if I don't return, in numbers they will drive you our of this cave. If you let me go then I can tell them you were dealt with. They'll leave you alone."
He lied again. Although he may have actually considered following through with his offer if it wasn't for the consequences that would come with lying if anyone was to find the dragon again. Slowly strafing around the large dragon he kept his eyes locked on her the entire time, occasionally looking over to her tail blocking the cave exit.

She had tossed his sword to the corner and watched him. Listening to his lie, she began to laugh.

"For a knight you lie a lot. I thought knights were to be honorable." She laid down and smiled looking at him with a broad grin and watched him noticing his features were pretty familiar. Maybe she had healed one of his ancestors.

"I serve a purpose and I will follow through at all costs, doesn't mean I won't try to drag myself out of a bad situation, again at all costs. No knight respects all forms of honor, at the very least I'm loyal to my party."

Looking to the corner his eyes shifted between her and the sword before he started to slowly walk towards the corner, cautiously.

She sighed and then looked at him. "If you touch that sword," she said gesturing with one great claw. "I will have to end you whether it is whipping your memory or digesting you, and you humans have never tastes good to me." She shifted and watched him.

"But seriously what have I done to you or your village that you all hate me, I truly wish to know." She watched him as smoke curled from her nostrils.

Staring at the claw he hesitated for a moment before letting out a sigh and turning his attention from the sword completely to her.
"Why do they hate you?" He couldn't help but smile a little before shaking his head. "Look I came out here to get paid, not to answer questions about the views of my people. But that question seems to answer itself. Why would a group of people hate a large, dangerous creature that dwells to close for them to feel comfortable? They could rest easy if you weren't here. Your best option at this point is to simply find somewhere further away."

He opened his mouth to object pausing mid-way. It took him a moment before he finally answered the question. "100,000. You can top that?" He watched her smile feeling a little uneasy about the offer. "What exactly would I be getting into as your 'champion'?"

"I can more than top that." She grinned and looked at him. "You get to keep your life, and your village get to keep theres." She then looked at him adn stood up. "Every offer you are given, come to me and I can beat it." She then turnd into a mist of smoke and flitted off and soon came back as a human again carying a money purse and held it out to him. This time she was in a dress and looked at him.

Taking a step closer he reach out to accept the purse still a little bit cautious of her due to recent events. "So you're saying you'll simply pay me off on any jobs I'm offered? If you don't mind me asking where does a dragon get its gold from? And what if they catch on. I don't think they'd take too kindly to me turning my pack on them every time they offered a job."

"Yea I will pay you." She then laughed. "Certain treasures humans and other dragons forget. And I have been known to sell my talents on occasion." She shrugged and put her hands on her hips and looked at him.

"Well, if they catch on and you suspect it before I get wind of it, I will relocate you in another village and myself move on." She looked at him. "Besides, for the most part, my existance is purely heresay." She smiled and looked at him.

Stilling coming of a hesitant he nodded his head before looking up to the door. He started to make his way over to the sword laying on the floor watching her carefully just to make sure she didn't disapprove of this action before he carried it through.
"Then I guess I'll be seeing some more of you from here on." He didn't think about it but for some reason the thought wasn't the most appealing. He wasn't sure how well he could trust her.

Back
Top Bottom