Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to cure anxiety!

Southern Dream

Planetoid
... I dont know how! DX

So, basically. I have a big problem with worrying and anxiety in general. I have been having a small panic attack ALL day, (of varying intensities). I dont know why, and I cant stop it... It sucks because I feel like I have something heavy pressing on my chest and I cant breath. I feel scared for some reason. Its also getting late where I am... Any help?

SHort of the ever helpful "Drink Heavily" it would really depend on the individual person and triggers of the attack.

I honestly don't like to talk about the reasons... And I dont like to drink for the sake of getting drunk.

I ALWAYS have panic attacks at night, but I sort of bring it up on myself. I have Thanatophobia, which is the fear of death and dying.
It's hit me ever since I was twelve, almost thirteen in 2008, watching my grandma die with hospice care. It did not help either when I watched by grandpa die in 2010 with hospice too, and later my dad in 2012.
Honestly, I see no help or cure for my fear since it is unavoidable and soon one day it will happen.
Fearing time and the unknown sucks, since you do not have a reason for it until the stuff finally happens.

What I do to calm myself, I get on the forums and talk to people, about random stuff or just role playing in general.
I also get on my phone and scroll through weird news or education news, or check Facebook.
Just little things to get your mind veered away from it all.

Try taking up a hobby, or hanging out with friends or family.
Go on a vacation, get away from the negativity of it all.

A lot of the source of phobias is the outlook of the person affected. Sadly, if you cannot tell me what is worrying you, Southern, then I can provide any advice. For you, ironic, my delightful little cupcake, I offer my own outlook on death.

I, too, used to suffer from Thanatophobia until I really sat down one day to break it down. My own outlook on death, as a result, changed drastically. Before I begin, know that I am not religious. I believe in the spirits of man and beast, but I do not perceive any sort of logical afterlife. To me, death is the ultimate end. After that, there is... nothing. So how does one cope with that acceptance if that is what you've decided that you believe? It's a hard pill to swallow, after all.

Well it's quite simple. Provided that there is some great omnipotent being out there then we're all here for a reason - a purpose. Every human is born, lives their life of their own volition by either divine design or the product of their upbringing, and dies. Death awaits us all, it is an unavoidable ends to our purpose in this world. Death, in this sense, is our final task in this world. We do not die simply because our 'time has run out'. We die because we are supposed to. If you're religious then believe what your faith preaches is the purpose for this. If you're not, then let's talk science. All creatures die; one way or another. Those few species who are in a position on the food chain to regularly reach old age die because the natural order dictates that the strong survive and the weak perish. The old die and stop consuming resources. These available resources are then consumed by the new generation so that they can grow strong. It is the purpose of the old, weak and past their prime, to die so that there is room for a new population, which keeps the species strong.

So simply put, it is our final duty in this world to die. It is not a punishment, nor is it great monster that waits at the end of our lives to tear our soul from our body. It is a task, given to us by the natural order of the world, that we must fulfill so that our descendants may grow and prosper.

I hope this helps. I'll go back to being an air-headed pervert now if that's alright with you. I don't like to show my intelligence; people expect too much of you if they think that you're smart.​

It's a shame you won't talk about your reasons, as all my methods for overcoming anxiety are tailored to my triggers.

I believe a large element of anxiety comes from lack of control... I was once terrified of fire, so I subjected myself to it, on my own terms, until I understood how it could and could not hurt me. A friend of mine is terrified of balloons (stepfather would pop them by her head without warning), so we're going to put her in the middle of a room filled with them. The idea is that by taking control of the pops, when she steps, and being unable to hide, because she'll be surrounded, will promote acclimation and ownership of what was once a looming unknown menace.

Not that I'm a doctor or anything. But for what it's worth, I've confronted my anxieties one by one until they fell away. I still get panic attacks, but they have nothing to latch onto, no paranoia to give them root, and are thus easily ignored until they pass naturally.

Back
Top Bottom