Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(2am and Distain)

Distain2003

Pulsar
Stephen stood outside the massive building owned by Verglobus Publishing, he had grown up in a small town. Gone to school in a small city and being here surrounded by the massive buildings was making him a bit nervous. His cubicle was on the 22 floor, 19 floors higher then any building in the town he went to school. Swallowing hard and gripping his briefcase tighter he walked into the glass building. His hand shaking a bit as he showed his paperwork to the guard at the desk to get to the elevators.

"Thank you. " Was all he managed to get out when the guard wished him luck and told him how to get to his station. Standing in the crowded elevator he chewed on his lower lip lightly as it climbed higher and higher. Once he reached his floor he got off and set to work looking for his new boss. Finding her office he knocked softly almost wishing she would not answer the door. This was his first real job and even though he was just an intern he was terrified of making mistakes. His mind running threw the math wondering if there where more people in this building then in his home town.

His short brown hair still wet and slicked back from his shower this morning moistened his hand as he ran his hand over it to make sure it was still looking good. His hand then ventured down his dark blue suit fiddling with the top button nervously. Then venturing to his tie as it felt like it was getting tighter. He had read this morning that his boss was the owners daughter he knew if he did not impress her he would never have a chance at this company.

Calena sat back in the plush leather chair in her office. She closed her eyes briefly, but the pounding in her head didn't stop. She flickered her eyes open. I thought I fucking asked for some aspirin she thought to herself, considering buzzing her secretary again. Calena had been to another charity function the night before. The name and purpose escaped her, but what did that matter? It was good PR for the company and that's all her father cared about. She groaned and sat up, wondering how she was this hung-over. There were always plentiful amounts of wine and champagne at those events, but she knew better than to get drunk. A blurred image of her apartment came into her mind. There was a bottle of vodka. There had been shots.

The thought made her sick to her stomach so she did her best to focus on her desk. There were a stack of cards on top of the smooth mahogany. Countless invitations to parties, balls, functions, galas, and whatever other fancy words people in high places could think of to get together and kiss ass. It wasn't exactly that Calena was complaining. She was the queen of schmoozing. But there was more to her than just a pretty face and sensual curves. Unfortunately for her, that was all anybody ever saw. Especially men. It was fine when she was younger; getting to be flirty and the center of attention. It was only when she was older that she realized they were just using her. She was a good time, another notch in the bedpost or they were a way to get promoted within the company.

With this new thought, she again felt sick to her stomach. Because of the hang-over, her senses were that much more acute and she heard the knock even though it was soft. She immediately assumed that it was her secretary with the aspiring. "Come in" she called out, relieved.

Stephen took a deep breath calming his nerves and pinned a smile on his face. Opening the door slowly he walked in and over to her desk slowly standing a few feet away. "Hello... " Seeing her reaction to the noise of his voice his voice grew quieter thinking she was not happy to see him. He did not think she was hung over just annoyed at his presence. His eyes did not leave hers not even for a moment. He could tell she was a beautiful woman but she was still his boss.

He new better then to look his boss over wanting her to respect him not think he was some pervert. Both his hands now gripping the handle on his briefcase taking a deep breath. "I am Stephen Jacobs the new intern. " He had not scene her secretary never even thought to look for one he was not used to seeing them.

Calena's face fell immediately when a man walked into the room. All he had in his hands was a briefcase, not her aspirin or even water. She groaned, irritated at her situation and not him. Who the hell is this guy? Where is Berta? the thoughts swirled in her head and pounded against her temples.

She squinted at him, studying his face while she rubbed her temples. She nodded to him to acknowledge that she had heard him. Stephen Jacobs, Stephen Jacobs..she knew the name was important and had no doubt he was some new intern that she hadn't taken the time to research. Her mind drew a blank, and she stood up, putting on her best fake professional smile.

She extended her hand. "Please forgive my manners. I'm suffering from a terrible migraine and I thought you were my secretary coming with Tylenol. I'm Calena Morrison. Welcome to the Verg."

She motioned to one of the seats in front of her desk. "Have a seat and make yourself comfortable," she said as she resumed her own seat. "Can I get you anything to drink? Coffee? Tea? Water?" she asked, noticing that the man looked incredibly nervous to the point that she thought he might fall over.

He smiled looking at her moving to set down as she gestured trying to relax as best he could. Hearing she had a head ache he smiled glad she was not mad at him his hand moved to the case opening it slowly. "It is okay i understand i think i put some Tylenol in here last night if you would like it. " He smiled and began digging threw the small pockets looking for the small packet. "I don't need anything to drink Ms. Morrison thank you for your welcome i am looking forward to getting started. "

Finally finding the little one dose pack of Tylenol he smiled pulling it from the pocket closing the case and placing it on her desk. "There you go hope it helps. " He smiled nervously wondering what had given her the head ache. Usually for him it was a lot of stress he hoped that was not the environment they where in.

She perked up immediately at him having Tylenol in his bag. She waved her hand dismissively "Please, call me Calena." she said, hoping her really did have some. She grabbed the package from the edge of her desk, ripping it up. "You are a life saver," she said, dry swallowing the pills. "You come prepared. I like that" she said, smiling at him. "Again, I have to apologize. I had a late night. One of those charity events, you know, with platters of champagne. Oh, well, if you don't know then you'll know soon enough."

She stood up. "Normally my secretary takes care of all of this stuff but I'm not sure where she is." She motioned for him to stand. "I can at least show you around."

He smiled as she seemed to warm to him rapidly looking over at her standing as she gestured him up. "I will be going to charity events? I guess i better practice sucking up. You mind if i practice on you boss?" He smiled at her relaxing a bit she seemed nice though she still made him nervous. He just hoped that he did not get a head ache today since he had given away his only Tylenol. "I should have waited outside. I am new to the corporate world."

He moved over to the door with her opening the door for her holding it so she could leave. He was hoping that he would be just doing publishing when he took the job not once thinking he would be doing events. He was expecting more of a desk job then a dance job.

She laughed, but it was short and a bit forced. She thought he was hitting on her. Oh, boy, another one of these guys she thought to herself. "Practice all you want. It'll be those compliments that'll get you into the parties with me." She did give him a genuine smile, sensing that he was a lot more comfortable when just moments before, Calena was worried he would wet himself.

She walked past him into the hallway, nodding thanks for holding the door. "Nothing wrong with being new. I can tell you're a hardworker. You'll adjust in no time." She pointed to the foyer and her secretary's empty desk that he'd completely missed on his way in. "That's where Berta works. If you ever need anything, she'll take care of you. She knows answers to questions I would have no idea about."

She lead him throughout the 22nd floor; showing him the conference, copier, and break rooms. She introduced him to a host of people, most of it so fast that it later occurred to Calena that he probably couldn't keep up. She guided him to the group of cubicles in the back. Luckily, he'd already been assigned one with his name already attached to the outside. That saved Calena a good bit of time since it was rare for her to have such personal contact with employees. Especially interns who were fresh to the business.

Stephen followed her closely taking everything he could in forgetting most of the names she had told him as he was introduced. Once they reached his cubicle he smiled and set his briefcase down turning to face her. "So sucking up to you gets me invited to pr events? " He paused for a few moments thinking about it before smiling at her and saying with a slight laugh. "Then i hope you wont be offended if i don't do so. I would rather just work then have to do that sort of thing. I am not a big fan of the false concern shown at those types of events. "

He bit his lip nervously hoping he had not just offended her looking around seeing what had been provided. A list of names and passwords sat on his desk waiting for him so he could have access to his email and the network. "Thank you so very much for the tour, i should probably get to work. I am sure they have a good deal for me to do. I was warned by a friend that interns get a lot of things to do. I don't want to fall to far behind. " He smiled stepping inside carefully pulling out the chair waiting for her to leave before setting down and going to work.

It took every bit of Calena's self control to keep her jaw from falling to the floor. Did she just get rejected? That was certainly what it felt like. She stared at him, struggling to come up with a reply. "Oh, well, to each his own I suppose" she managed in complete disbelief. What employer didn't suck up to his boss? He would rather work? Calena nearly asked if he was serious and if it was some kind of joke. She knew from his look that he was serious. And it pissed her off.

She tried to keep her face blank, looking down to brush imaginary lint off of her skirt. She cleared her throat as he sat down. "Yes, of course, Mr. Jacobs." she said coldly, trying to to make a face at the fact that he was attempting to start work before she even left his area. "Remember that you start working at 8am every morning. There are no exceptions." She turned on her heel and stalked back to her office. Her heels making a menacing clunk against the floor.

Her headache had returned but for a different reason. Did he not know who she was? She shook her head. That was a stupid idea. Everybody knew who Calena Morrison was. Did he really think that he could just walk in and act that way? Who in hell did he think he is? Calena sat at her desk, thinking about the situation for quite some time when she decided that he was just playing a game. It was a ploy to confuse her. Almost like when she played hard to get. She smiled to herself, thinking that she'd almost fallen for it.

It was no joke Stephen did not want to go to the parties. He was still going to suck up he was just going to do so much much less. He sat down and began working logging into the email system and reading the half dozen emails he had already. Each had some task he needed to complete before he left today. He was going to be very busy with a soft sigh he set to work on the mass of paperwork that had been piled on him.

He knew he had offended her, he could tell by the way she acted when she left he just hoped she was not going to murder him with paperwork for it. That is the owners daughter you moron why are you acting stupid. You just killed your chances of ever getting promoted here. Your going to be an intern making minimum wage till the day you die. He grumbled silently as he started moving around the office as best he can trying to get his work done.

Once Calena had convinced herself that Stephen was just toying with her she got down to business. Well, her business was mainly rsvping to events and ordering new clothes, shoes, and accessories. To call her anybody's boss was a laugh. And to say she even had a real position in the company was equally laughable. To be fair, Calena did have some business sense, but having been spoiled all her life she knew nothing about working. She didn't know what it meant to come up with an idea and seeing it through. For her, things just happened. It was like she snapped her fingers and things came true.

She walked around, feeling important and bossy. On her way to lunch she ran into Stephen again. She greeted him warmly, her annoyance from the morning all but forgotten. "Hey you! How're you adjusting so far?"

Stephen had been working his ass off all day and was no where near done with the things he had been given today. He decided to have a working lunch printing out a stack of papers and taking them with him to the break room. He was reading as he walked his lunch in hand on his way to the break area. Some would say he was sucking up on his first day, he was simply doing what he had always done.

Hearing her warm voice he smiled clearly she had gotten over his insult earlier. A smile greeted her as he looked up from his papers. "Doing well thanks Ms. Just have a mountain of work today. I don't think people around here believe in a warm up period. " He said chuckling softly his eyes only glancing up at her while he was talking before returning to his reading. "That is okay i have to make my name some way right. "

She noticed that he didn't ask her to sit down. This guy definitely took his work seriously. "Please, call me Calena" she said, correcting him again. She gave a nod of understanding to his workload "Well listen, I don't want you to get burned out on the first day. If you need help, say so. We're a team around here." she said, patting his hand. She actually didn't know what the hell she was saying, but she knew it sounded nice. She'd heard it repeated enough times in staff meetings.

She glanced down and noticed his lunch. "I was going to invite you out to lunch, but I guess you've already gotten that taken care of. I was far too abrasive with you this morning. That was no way for me to behave. Especially not the the newest member of our staff." Calena had mastered the art of apologizing without ever actually saying the words.

"They told me apparently i am already part of 3 teams and this is pulling my weight. " He laughed turning another page glancing at her thinking about what she was saying. Was she actually planning on inviting him to lunch or was she just saying that because he had a lunch. "That is okay you don't need to say anything. I should have paid more attention and waited for your secretary. "

He had already been told that he should not have bothered her on his first day by several employees. "As long as your not mad at me there are no hard feelings. You had a rough night anyways i can't hold it against you. "

Calena considered his statement. 3 teams? Was this guy some kind of hot-shot? He kind of sounded like one, even if he didn't look like one. She shrugged to herself trying not to get confused by his behavior again. She really shouldn't have been upset at his lack of flirting. For once, somebody with a penis seemed to have some kind of respect for her. Then again, that was a novel idea and Calena wasn't one to jump for joy over change.

"Wow, three teams? You're probably swamped then." She shook her head. "No, I'm not mad at you" she said the words slowly, as if she was trying to convince herself of them. She wasn't mad at him exactly just put off by how he was acting. For one of the first times in her life, Calena felt embarrassed. Here she was, standing in front of a new intern, fishing for attention. "I won't hold you up any more then. Have a good day, Stephen." she said, making her way out of the break room.

"Nothing i wont be able to handle. " He smiled up at her eager to please with his effort he was already stretching things trying to live on his salary. He did the math and he needed to get promoted in less then a year or he would not have to get a second job. When she left he went back to work getting a odd feeling that people where looking at him. He feel their eyes and he did not understand. Finishing half his lunch he stood and began making his way back to his station.

There he sat continuing to work threw the rest of his lunch. Glad to be alone and not be bothered by the noise of the lunch room. He really wanted to make a good impression on all the division heads. Though he knew if he kept up this pace he would be killing himself by setting a far to high of standard.

Calena walked back to her office in a confused haze. What had just happened? He seemed eager but eager to work and not flirt with her. Did he not know that she could promote him with a bat of her eyelash? What was his aim? It was all too weird for Calena. She thought she was in the Twilight Zone.

She got back to her office and read a gossip column online until she got bored. She called up her best friend, Olympia Fremont and told her about the party last night, the hang-over that morning, and the new intern she just couldn't figure out. Olympia brushed the situation off, reminding Calena that she didn't need any pervy attention. Soon the conversation was about clothing, parties, and men. A couple of hours later, Calena hung up feeling a lot better about things.

Olympia was right. What did she care that he wasn't throwing himself at her? She didn't need that. He was just a lowly intern after all. She could have her pick of men if she wanted it.

Stephen worked hard for the rest of the day deleting the emails that he was getting about what happened at lunch. He wanted no part of office gossip or being promoted because of something he did in his personal life. He thought back fondly to the lovely woman that was his boss he certainly would not mind a personal relationship with her. Who would she was amazing and loaded but he knew he had no chance with her.

Finally he got up and went for a walk it had been 2 hours since he had been outside of the cubicle. He had no aim or goal but his body needed to move around. He hoped no one would notice that he was just milling around the office. He figured no one would care if he took 15 minuets to himself since he took a short lunch.

Calena left her office and milled around for a bit. It was a known fact that she intimidated most people. People who weren't working suddenly started when she walked by and those who already were, starting working harder. It was all about the chance to impress her and hope that it would pay off in the long run.

She thought she was wandering aimlessly but she found herself at Stephen's cubicle. She was disappointed when she found it empty. She wondered where he was so she made her way to the break room, but he wasn't there either. There was something about Stephen that she couldn't put her finger on. It was weird. Nobody, male or female, had affected her that way before.

Stephen had had been milling around for about 15 minuets when he decided to make his way back to his cubicle. He was on the other side of the floor looking out the window when he decided to go back. The view was fantastic when he got up this high it was something he would have to take note of so he could do it more often. On his way back he passed the break room just as she was getting ready to leave it.

"Hello Calena. " He said as he walked past thinking nothing of walking past her on his way back to his cubicle. "How is your day going? " He smiled the short walk having given him a bit of a renewed energy that would push him threw the last few hours of work. He paused in front of her not wanting to be rude and walk off on her again.

Calena had been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she nearly ran into Stephen. "Oh goodness. I'm sorry" she said quickly before realizing it was him. She smiled, happy to have run into him. "It's going well, thank you. That credit goes to you." She said, placing a hand on his arm. "I can't thank you enough for that Tylenol. Otherwise I would have been dead all day."

She noticed a female employee staring at them from across the room. Calena rolled her eyes visibly, gently steering Stephen in the opposite direction, away from her and other prying eyes. "So, how's the work? You seem a bit more relaxed then when I saw you during lunch" she commented.

"Its nothing if you ever need any just let me know i try to keep some in my brief case. " He smiled noticing the people looking over at him and it made him feel weird he wondered why they were watching him. He figured they realized how long he had been away from his desk and began to get worried about getting into trouble. When she guided him away he was a bit confused wondering why she was so interested in talking to him today. Just assuming she was a very friendly boss he instantly felt great about taking this job.

He relaxed more once they when they were free of the watching eyes. "I got a lot done and i should be able to finish it with ease by 5. " He smiled quite proud of all the work he had gotten done even if it was just the beginning of a career of getting work piled on him. "Yea i just needed a breather a short walk and i feel ten times better. The view here does wonders for clearing your mind and helping you relax. "

"I'll definitely make a note of that" She replied. Stephen was actually very genuine. She could tell. She could see right through everybody else. She knew she was included in that groups. Selfish and shallow. But he was one of the first people she'd interacted with who wasn't like that. It was refreshing.

She noticed a change in his demeanor as they turned the corner. She gave his arm an affectionate squeeze "That's great. I was worried you'd feel too overwhelmed." It was a lie, but he didn't know that. She smirked when he mentioned the view. "You got a minute?" she asked. It was rhetorical and she didn't want for an answer. She grabbed his wrist and pulled him to the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor, 30. "The view is tons better up here." She assured him.

He smiled as she spoke she had a lovely voice and her eyes where fantastic. When she squeezed his arm a chill ran down his spine. Is she flirting with me? No she can't be what would she want in an intern. She is the kind of girl that dates models. He smiled as she pulled him away chuckling softly she was certainly a challenge to understand. He was completely confused sweet and kind one minuet a bit harsh and angry the next.

He saw the floor she pushed and grew nervous again. He was not a huge fan of heights despite being over 6 foot tall. "I will have to remember to come up here when i get a chance. Though when i am just looking for a quick breather ill stick to our floor. " He bit his lip lightly as the elevator hit their floor allowing her to lead him around.

Back
Top Bottom