Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Odd laws in your nation/state?

Southern Dream

Planetoid
Share some odd laws that you know of in your nation/state! X3

I got one! I live in Alabama, and very soon, hunting with silencers will be legal here. Cuz you know, why not? :3

Signing someone's else signature without writing your own. (If you have a credit card and it's not yours) Then, you go to jail.

Where I live in Canada, it is illegal to paint wooden logs.

In some cities of California, it is illegal to grow oleander in any place for any reason

Well some of these are just ridiculous! Especially the law about sodomy; though there are many states with ridiculous sexual laws like that. Anyway, I've got one to add to the pile.

In my home state, it is illegal to carry an unloaded shotgun into a church during times of service/mass. It is legal to carry a loaded shotgun into church, however, so that you may defend your community in the event of a Native American attack.

Gotta love out-of-date laws that were never amended/eradicated.

In the state I currently live in, it's currently illegal for an unmarried couple to go off by themselves out of public view in any established place of entertainment.

Oh wow, DarkAngel79, that is just insane. I do believe that one wins the thread is the "Most Asinine and Unnecessary Laws" category. On the plus side, that means you can't date unlesss you're doubling up. It's a great date-rape defense, at least? Silver lining found!

Really? In a land-locked state? Wow. Such derp.

Edit: Didn't want to just post without contributing something so I found another stupid law for my state. Whistling while underwater is strictly prohibited. Like really... Where do they come up with this stuff? Because you know that if they had to make this stuff laws then at some point, there was a serious problem with it. Did a bunch of college drop-outs drown while having an underwater whustling ontest or something? Maybe they were trying to attract whales...

:p Well this one isn't a state law, per se, but it is a law in one specific county of the state.

One may not walk a lion, tiger or leopard, even on a leash.

In what universe does that seem like a good idea to begin with? They're cats. Big cats! And cats are assholes.

It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.

Sometimes stupid laws are just sad instead of funny. Now I hate my state a little... I love my state. :(

Out here in Dublin crossing a railway track on a bicycle is illegal whereas you can drive across it legally. You are still supposed to dismount and walk your bike across at a level crossing.

I've got some good ones...

In Oregon it is illegal to buy or sell anyone under eighteen. After that then hey, buy and sell away! They're just human after all, they don't mind.

It is also illegal to strap children to the roof of your car, fender or the hood. Darn, and that's such a great place to stick them, too...

In Portland, Oregon it is illegal for toilets in the workplace to not be supplied with enough toiler paper. Coat hooks and towel racks must also be within easy reach of anyone using a public toilet. It is illegal for men to enter a women's restroom and illegal for women to enter a men's restroom.

In Portland it is also illegal to publicly clean a skeleton in a cemetery. 'Cause, y'know, I'm sure that used to happen all the time...

In Oregon it's illegal to modify the weather without a license. If you have a license I guess the next step would be to figure out how the hell you can modify the weather...

Back in Portland, a sailor fleeing from a burning ship can, but is not required to, sound a horn or whistle as long as they do so while sounding the horn/whistle exactly every 4-6 seconds. So I guess if you sound your whistle every two seconds or every seven seconds you'll be arrested or something...

Here's a couple more fun ones. Oh, West Virginia, how fucked up you are.

Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse.
For each act of public swearing a person shall be fined one dollar.
A person may not hold public office if he or she has ever participated in a duel.
It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.
Unmarried couples who live together and ā€œlewdly associateā€ with one another may face up to a year in prison.

" It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man " always makes me laugh. Oh Toronto, you're the best city.

When I lived in California they had a law pass in the 1800's that said you couldn't eat oranges in your bath tub.

Nor could you allow your mule to sleep in your bathtub or allow it to claim residency there.

Back
Top Bottom