Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Meteor Crosses the Moon (Karamedia & Malin [Avatar: TLA])

Status
Not open for further replies.

malin

Supernova
Arrluk Let out a long sigh, watching his breath fade in the chilling wind. Everyone was taking their chance to recover from the recent raid. Normally the cold didn't even effect him, but Raids were always difficult to deal with, as the fire bending caused heat and sweat even under the heavy southern clothing. The battle field was covered in a heavy fog, the fire benders were gone, and Arrluk was tending to the battlefield.

They had lost a few more of his water bending tribesmen. He was one of the lucky ones, and had been able to fight off his attackers. However with each raid more and more of the people around him had been captured. However this time it seemed they had gotten the upper hand during the battle, and the fire benders, as always had left their wounded. Driving a spear into the chest of one fire bender he didn't get anything more then the escape of air. The man had apparently bled to death during the battle. Drawing his spear back he walked to find the next body.

The sun was slowly starting to fade away. The raiders always came during the day, and luckily there presence was always announced by the black snow that fell around the village thanks to their giant ships. The fire navy was powerful, and destructive, but even now his fellow benders were remaking the homes that were damaged, and getting food ready. Still it was his job to find the wounded, tend to his own, and get rid of the rest. It was not a job he took pleasure in, however the last thing anyone wanted was a wounded fire bender healing up, and attacking them while they had their guard down.

The chilling winds were starting to pick up, and Arrluk took the opportunity to put up his hood. His tribesmen were only playing defensively, but if anyone really wanted this war to end, they needed to pick up the pace, and work with the other nations. Mobilize some kind of attack while there were still water benders left in the south.

This couldn't possibly be right.....

There was no way that this could happen...

Not after everything....

Everything she'd fought for and attained...

There was no way it could be over...

These thoughts flitted through her mind as she lay in the snow in the extreme cold of the water benders home. She felt a shaft of pain shoot through her body from the injury that was slowly draining her life away. Slowly spilling her blood into the snow. To think, that after everything she had endured, she'd end up slowly dying in the enemies lands. Left behind by her soldiers. Left to die alone. How disgraceful. To think that she; a first lieutenant fire bender in the mighty fire nation army- would meet her end in the unforgiving cold of the south lands.

She felt the cold fingers of death gain a tighter hold on her life force. Could feel the darkness of death encroach on her mind, her memories, her thoughts on her regrets and fears. She knew if she fell asleep she would never wake again in this world. But even knowing that, it was so hard to keep her eyes open. Her strength was fading fast and her will was slowly seeping out with her life force and into the snow. She imagined the pristine white snow was now a crimson color, filled with many lifeless corpses. And she would just be another nameless body...

NO!

She couldn't -she wouldn't- allow herself to become one of those specters. She'd been haunted all her life by the nameless faces of the men -and sometimes women- that she'd killed. People who would forever follow her with their blank, accusing stares. Now as she lay dying, those specters moved in to take their vengeance on her. She struggled to maintain her hold on life while her ghosts and death pulled and tugged at her soul. Trying to rip it from her body. A wave of hot anger flashed through her. Rage at the fire nation for doing this to her. Abandoning her here. And so easily. The anger gave her a surge of strength and she vowed that should she live she would take her own revenge against the traitors. Anger heated her body melting off some of the snow that had clung to her body. If only...

If only she had more time...

If only she could live awhile longer...

Long enough to get her own revenge...

She didn't want to die....

And there it was. The biggest and simplest truth. She didn't want to die. She wasn't ready to leave the world. She'd had far too much she'd wanted to do. At this, guilt assailed her. How many lives had she cut short? How many people had she left just like this? Countless. She'd always tried taking them alive...as much as she could but even still, that didn't erase her sins. She wondered if everyone went through the same motions at death. How many other had lain bleeding out desperately trying to cling to their fading life? Felt all their sins weighed against them. Remembered all those they'd wronged. Felt anger at those who'd wronged them. Cursed those that had taken their life. Did they all feel the same things during death?

She vaguely registered the sound of crunching snow. Someone was coming. No doubt a water bender searching the battlefield for survivors on both sides. To save their comrades. To kill their enemies. She felt a surge of panic and a spark of hope. They may kill her but if she could convince them that she knew valuable information on the whereabouts of their comrades who'd been taken...she may live yet. Would they notice her amidst all the dead? Most likely. Her armor was easily seen and easily noticed. They would come to make sure she was dead -and if she wasn't- to finish the job. She'd only have one chance. The cold was numbing her body and she could no longer feel the pain from her wound. That worried her more than when she could feel the pain. She had precious little time. So little. "I don't want to die...." she thought fighting against all the icy fingers that tore at her.

Her only hope was the enemy whose brethren she'd killed and kidnapped.

Coming across the battlefield for a moment he felt a gust of hot air, and saw steam from one of the bodies. Walking towards it, he could tell that the person was still living though not for very long. As he walked up to her he blinked realizing just that. This body was a her, a female raider. He had been sure that for the longest time he could remember all of the raiders he had ever seen had been male. However it was clear that this woman was marked for death, she had been injured grievously, and left for dead. There was no one way around it this woman was going to die in the cold snow it was technically even his job.

~So what are you waiting for Arrluk take up your spear and do what you need to, and then move on. Maybe you can even find a water bender if you look hard enough.~

He scoffed at the thought, there were no remaining water benders on this field. He hadn't seen a single one as he walked the entire distance around the ice field. All he found of his people were either burnt remains unrecognizable to the human eye as the person he had once known and loved, or knowing that they had been dragged off onto one of their ships. where they would live out their natural life in some fire nation prision, their humanity and dignity stripped from then thanks to their new fire bender over lords. He let out a long sigh his body still handn't moved to kill the woman he had found laying out in the snow. In truth he didn't even have to move, by his simple inaction she was going to die.

~and why shouldn't she? what is worth saving for? The hope that you are not a monster the strength to turn the other cheek?~

The air benders would have done it. Arrluk had to giggle slightly at that thought. Every single one of them had been wiped out from this earth in almost one night, and yet he had no doubt that if an airbender were alive today, and standing right next to him that monk would tell him to save the life of the woman simply because he could. On the other hand the fire nation had also abandoned her, so on one hand you had extreme forgiveness and on the other hand you had the comerades in arms who wouldn't even bother long enough to save your sorry life.

So why let her live?

She wasn't about to save your life, if the postion was reversed she would burn him to a crisp without even blinking so why Arrluk are you even considering it.

... Because she didn't want to die. No one does and Arrluk may have had the strength to fight in a war, and harm those who would attack his home, but this wasn't the northern tribe. Here men weren't just warriors, they were healers, and builders. He wasn't about to kill someone who couldn't even fight back.

~I'm a moron for doing this.~

Kneeling down he shook his head. "Why on earth am I doing this?" In one soft motion the ice around her wound melted, and faded away from her wound, replaced with a soft glowing blue light as he moved a current of water over her wound, he would heal her, but only barely. The wound closed, and he even restored some of the blood she had lost, but not enough that she could move or do anything against him. He wanted to speak with this woman, but he wasn't about to allow himself to come under attack. "There your back from the dead. For how long is up to you."

For a long moment the only sound that could be heard was the howling of the wind across the battlefield. The man from the water tribe did not move nor did he speak and she could do neither. "Is he waiting for me to die?" she thought struggling to breath. Within the last few moments her breathing had become irregular and was nearly unnoticeable. The only signs she was breathing was the faint white cloud that escaped her lips. Silence rang heavily in the area surrounding them, it was almost crushing in it's intensity. She wondered fleetingly if she was going to die without hearing any other sounds.

Just as she was mustering the last of her strength to speak she heard the sound of crunching snow. She wasn't certain what was going to happen next but she had to say something before he killed her. She had to.

Before long the footfalls stopped beside her and she looked at the blur beside her body. "I can't make him out..." she thought surprised. She'd heard that when you were close to death your sight gave out. She hadn't realized that hers had gotten so bad as she'd been gazing at the falling snow. She sensed him move, kneeling down to her she thought she heard him say something but couldn't make out exactly what it was. She felt that it might really be the end and braced herself. She felt some of the cold leave her body "I thought death would be.....colder..." she thought. She felt something odd happening, but couldn't see anything since everything was so dark. Belatedly she realized she must have squeezed her eyes shut. Cautiously she opened them, the man was closer to her and she could make out his features he was focusing intently on something in the direction of her injury. She noticed a soft blue glowing light and her gaze drifted to the source.

Stunned at what she saw she just....stared. He was healing her. "Why...." she thought blankly. Sure, she had intended to bargain with him in turn for saving her but she hadn't uttered a single word and yet he was....healing her. She felt some of her strength return to her, not a whole lot but just enough to keep death at bay. She stared at the man who'd saved her life. It was rude. She should say something. But she couldn't stop staring, it just didn't make any sense. He'd stopped healing her and had looked at her for a moment before finally speaking.

"Up to me...." she thought. "Does he mean it depends on what I do next?" she wondered. It was most likely what he had meant.

If he left her on her own she wouldn't die. Not for awhile but she certainly wouldn't last in this cold and she wasn't strong enough to walk on her own. And even if she could she was in no state to be wandering aimlessly in the frozen lands. Either she'd get lost and die of starvation or freeze or one of the water benders would find and kill her. "Which is what he should have done...instead...he healed me."

She could speak. She could bargain. But when she tried to talk, the words died on her tongue. "What should I say...?" she thought. She stared helplessly into the mans face struggling to find the right words. "Th--" she tried but her voice cracked slightly. "Than....k you." she said haltingly. Her voice sounded rough and broken even to her own ears and she winced inwardly. "I...am in your...debt." she said slowly her voice still cracking. The next part was important. She couldn't afford to screw it up but the effort of trying to speak was more exhausting than she realized and her head fell back in place in the snow. After a few moments she took a deep shuddering breath and winced at the pain she felt. "Well, the pain is a good sign...." she thought.

"I....can help you." she said after a long silence had stretched between them. "Once I'm completely recovered...." she said trailing off "I can take you to where the water benders are being imprisoned within the fire nation." she said closing her eyes. She really was tired. She felt a bit pathetic bargaining like this but if she were to attain her vengeance, she needed to live.

Arrluk paused for a moment as he heard a fire bender, a monster thank him. He honestly didn't know how he felt about being in debt to a fire bender, less than an hour ago these people would have came into his home and burned taken his brothers and sisters away from the home they cherished, killed those who weren't worth taking, and raided the town for food and other supplies. In fact they had already done most of that in their raid.

And now this one was in his debt. "Great just what I always wanted, a fire breather pet." He thought with an almost dark roll of his eyes. Part of him was still going over the logistics of this, sure she wouldn't need medicine for her injuries but she would still need food, and the tribe would never be willing to have her around. In fact any other man or woman in this tribe would have killed her.

Just by helping this woman live he had betrayed every one of his brothers and sisters, and then there was the price he had done it for. She said it before he could name it. A chance to find the fire benders prisons, someone who knew the fire nation and their defenses. Sadly even if he could pitch it to the elders there was no way they would ever allow it. For right now the water tribe's army was used to defend their home. They had forbidden anyone from leaving the south pole.

Still he came to his senses rather quickly. "Good that's what I was hoping to hear from you." His voice sounded rather cold towards her, despite this hole thing being his idea he was not happy about helping the fire bender.

Pulling up the snow around her body he created walls that would shelter her from the cold and allow her body to gain some of it's heat back. He was not happy about this choice but now that he had made it he was going to have to deal with it. Still there was more then a few problems. They would need a boat, and they would need supply's which of course meant that they were going to have to break into the camp, and somehow have to take her with him. "I'm Arrluk do you have a name?"

Part of him didn't really want to humanize her, but at the same time if he was going to work along side her for what would be the foreseeable future then he was going to need to know what to call her. The tricky part would of course be breaking out of the water tribe without having his entire people hound him. If this didn't work he was going to end up living a life of permanent exile. If it did work however... he could see the family that they had taken from him again. That alone seemed to be at least a little worth it.

Akahana closed her eyes and smiled humorlessly. "I had...wondered why you didn't outright kill me." she said with a sigh. "At least now I know why." she said opening her eyes and staring at the sky still spreading snow on the ground. She heard the coldness in his voice, knew he probably felt disgusted having helped her. Well so be it. She wasn't that keen on being in someones debt. Especially not one who was an enemy not more than a few hours ago. But what other choice did she have? That was the problem. She didn't have any other choice. The Waterbender was her only chance for vengeance.

His voice brought her back from her thoughts. "So the name of my savior is Arrluk is it? I am called Akahana." she said glancing to the side to look at him. She decided not to say her full title. He had already helped her but there was no telling how he might react if she were to tell him exactly who she was. It was likely he'd kill her outright. No, right now she would not tell him.

She saw the scowl on his face and smiled "You know your goal but have you ever thought about everything required to reach that goal?" she asked softly. She looked back up at the sky. She sighed again and closed her eyes. She felt the heat return to her body, felt the fire within her rekindle. "You already know that for this we will need a boat and supplies...." she said trailing off. Opening her eyes she smiled "Which normally might not be so troublesome but I am the enemy. They will not react well to my being there. So it might be for the best if you get the supplies yourself." she said. Another smile flitted across her face "But...I am the waterbenders enemy." she said looking directly at him. "You do not trust me and so you won't go off on your own. You'll want to keep an eye on me, won't you?" she asked with a humorless grin.

"Not that I blame you..." she said softly almost silently. "I suppose I should ask how you intend to do this?" she said wondering if he would answer her. There wasn't much hope in him doing so willingly but what did she really know when it came to waterbenders? She knew they were fierce warriors with a lot of pride. Other than that? Nothing. She felt a pang go through her. She'd spent her career hunting down the Waterbenders simply because the fire nation had ordered it and she knew nothing about them. It was easier that way. But she regretted it now.

Arrluk Deflated visibly as he was told the hole in his plan. He knew exactly what this would require and none of it was going to be pleasant. He was going to have to betray everyone he knew and even then it was only for a shot at the water bender prison. Letting out a cold breath he knew exactly what he would have to do. The docks were far enough that taking her in the current state was going to be very difficult, and she was right he didn't trust her enough to leave her alone.

"Your right, I don't trust you to be alone Akahana."

For all he knew she could easily have a flare on her or something that would be able to contact the fire nation. In an instant another raid on his home could start, and they didn't have the kind of warriors that it took to fight off another group of warriors. Taking her with him however would brand him a traitor far earlier then he wanted. He had no ideas what his family or the rest of his tribe would even think of him with what he was thinking, and that was it.

Shifting around he looked about them, this was a battle field where members of his tribe had been slain by her kind. Any action he took would be disgracing his tribe worse then anything he could have ever thought to inflict. And yet as he started scavenging he knew he had to do it. As bad as it made him feel he was able to scavange and get together a full water bender tunic from a few of the corpses. It was a patch work job, and under daylight it was rather noticable, but he was sure that it would serve their purposes.

Arrluk walked back to Akahana and dropped the bundle of warm blue water tribe clothing at her feet. "I know exactly what this mission is going to cost me, and the rest of my tribe. I'm not happy about it, but if there is a chance that we can save any of the taken benders then I am willing to commit any crime, and you are going to have to suffer every indignity. Now... get changed."

Arrluk let a stern breath as he gestured to the bundle of clothing. "If you keep the hood up and we use the cover of darkness then no one will be able to see your face. That will get you into the village, and from there we can get to the docks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom