Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Random Short Stories *May contain triggers/graphic scenes*

EmeraldKitten32

Planetoid
I love to write. I do it a lot. But, I have no one to give me feedback. So I hope you wonderful people can help me. I appreciate any and all feedback thanks. Oh, and a lot of these little short stories just kind of start, no easing into it. Here goes...

The clean crack of the whip split the silence. A phantom burn danced across the back of her own thighs in sympathy. No matter how many years passed, she'd never forget the bite of a whip...

Nor the twisted pleasure...

"Again, Kitten," Luc growled.

As always she kept her eyes cast down, but, from her peripheral vision she saw Lilith shift in her seat.

"Brother, dear," the twin's throaty purr. "Don't you think the poor thing has learned his lesson?"

"Oh, I'm sure he learned his lesson long ago." The Lord muttered darkly. "Very well. Connor, take Dante to Ariana. She'll know how best to treat him."

Lilith rose slowly and departed followed shortly by the rest of the court. Kitten released the breath she'd been holding. Slowly she turned to face Luc, risking a peek at her husband's face.

"Ah, pet," he cooed. He watched her from where he'd slumped into his throne. Her emerald eyes shone with the humility and pain he'd caused. He smirked and summoned her to his side with a flick of his fingers. "You're so stubborn, Kitten. Why do you force me to repeat the same lessons over and over?"

A smirk danced across her lips as she climbed onto his lap. "Ah, mi' lord, when will you accept that there's just certain parts of me you simply can't change?" She nuzzled his neck.

Luc chuckled softly, twirling one of her curls through his fingers. "I thought angels specialize in obedience," he tugged playfully at the curl. "Servitude, all those good things."

It had taken almost three centuries for her to coax this side of the Dark Prince to the surface. But, after the spectacle he'd put on for the court, playful was the last of his many persona she'd expected. "If obedience was my forte, I'd still have wings," she muttered softly. It irritated her a bit to hear the pain in her own voice.

"I suppose I should enjoy your willfulness then." A darkness crossed his eyes.

"Oh come off it, Lucien," Kitten sighed. Might as well get it done and over. "We both know that whipping was less to do with Dante's infraction and much more to do with mine." She tilted her chin up slightly in defiance.

His crimson eyes grew darker. "Shall we retire then, pet?"

And just like that the playful persona was gone. She knew he was Master now. Slowly she stood and made her way to the playroom.

~*~*~

Ariana pressed the cool cloth to Dante's back again. She knew it was Kitten who'd wielded the whip; welts were the least of what you'd walk away from the twins with.

"So, what did you do this time?" She asked as she dried his back. The salve she spread over the angry marks was her own concoction.

"Dared to smile at the Lady." He sighed, an impish grin plastered on his face. As far as punishment went, the angel was a walk in the park.

"Why do you insist on toying with him? Don't you know the cat eventually catches the mouse?" She rolled her eyes and wiped her hands. "Done."

Dante stood and flexed his muscles, smirking again. "I can't help it if she's the only soul in this wretched place with any kindness to her. I simply try to return the favor." He rolled his lean shoulder. "'Sides," he yawned. "It was just his excuse. That was stage-one of Kitten's punishment. Though I've no idea what her infraction was..." His gaze met hers pointedly before he wandered towards his quarters.

She thought that over as she cleaned up. Had either of them done something to upset Lucien recently? She couldn't imagine how when she'd been gone for three weeks with Lilith. What could the Master's precious treasure have done to deserve such punishment. Ever since he'd forced Kitten to watch as he'd punished her, Luc knew he'd lost a part of her. Kitten refused to take up a whip since, and it had almost become a form of punishment itself for her.

"She refused to take a whip to another angel to amuse the Delphi Clan a few nights ago," a gruff voice rumbled from the shadows.

"Kristof. I was beginning to wonder when you'd slither back home."

"Aw, hope you didn't miss me too much, Ari."

Ariana rolled her eyes. "Oh yes, my heart ached for you every night." She turned to face the newcomer.

Her heart did flutter slightly as he stepped out of the shadows. The rogue eldest brother, Kristof. Her loyalties would always belong to Lilith, but the man had an odd hold on most of the women around the estate. She knew there was no point in loving the devil, but lusting was an entirely different story.

Well over six feet tall, his body had come from millennia of wars, raids and working the land and sea. The dark blue tribal markings, the same blue of his eyes, screamed canal temptation the dim light of the cool down room. She was surprised that his normally restrained hair hung freely around his shoulders. Ebony shot through with that same dark blue.

"Well now, seems your body certainly did," Kristof chuckled darkly.

"And what woman's wouldn't?" She smirked. "Have you seen the twins yet or have you simply been eavesdropping on peoples' thoughts again?"

"What's the point of demonic powers if not to use them?" He pressed closer to her. "Tell me about this new woman my little brother brought into the family."

"Kitten? A fallen angel of sorts." Ariana recalled what Luc had called her. "His 'perfect treasure' or something."

"Hmm," he muttered, those fathomless eyes pinning her with an intensity that threatened to consume. "You're sweet on the angel as well. What did that cost you?"

Ariana refused to tell anyone what her rendezvous with Kitten cost. She let her mind go blank and was relieved when he backed off.

"You suspect many people here are under the illusion that they care for her."

"They don't view her as one of their own. She's a curiosity. For certain a kind one, but just a curiosity none the less." Her gaze swept over his face, her attention as always drawn to the scar that crossed his left eye.

Most other royals with his power would have gotten rid of the flaw shortly after receiving it. But in the time she'd known him, he'd never once hid or gotten rid of any scars. Not that he had many. Vanity was one trait he didn't share with his younger siblings. 'Badges of Honor' he'd called them once. Even in a place as timeless as Hell, Kristof had been born at the wrong time.

"So, what makes you think you're any different than the rest?" He whispered, his breath hot and tempting on her ear.

Ari bit her lower lip and looked down. "I know her, actually know her." She sighed softly. "She's rather amazing."

With what he'd seen through his years he thought he was beyond shock. "You were her trainer?" He sifted through her thoughts, hearing bits of remembered conversations, watching as Ari's feelings went from sympathy and pity, to amusement and compassion, to finally love, anger and betrayal.

"She took his offer over yours," he concluded.

Ari shoved him away. "She loves me..." she hissed, her gaze sweeping the room for more unwanted guests before returning to him. "She just has some crazy idea that she's indebted to him. That he saved her life."

Kristof eyed her skeptically. It wasn't like the siren to be so easily taken by someone. But, he wasn't sure she really felt what she thought she did either. He snorted as her thoughts pushed into his head. "Power hungry is the last thing I'd assume about one of Gabe's warriors. Fallen or not." His thumb stroked his lower lip as he thought.

He cast a bone melting smile in her direction. "Get some rest, Ari. I'm sure Lil's wondering where you've gotten to." He headed towards Luc's private playroom. "I'll be sure to fetch you if she needs tending."

~*~*~

Kitten struggled against her restraints, all of her training had escaped her memory. When Luc had blindfolded her, she'd felt her pulse quicken. When he'd placed the gag on her, she'd realized how thoroughly pissed he was. And a few hours later, she was nearing the end of her tolerance.

She screamed against the gag as the cattails came down on her back again. She screamed again, though she couldn't actually tell if it was in response or anticipation. A whimper escaped her lips as her head was yanked back and his silky purr was against her ear.

"Are you ready to apologize for your deliberate disobedience?"

She nodded her head as much as his grip would allow. She shuddered with exhaustion but tried to hold still as he removed the gag. "I'm sorry I couldn't obey you, Sire<" she moaned.

His excitement at her pain was all too evident as he pressed his hips into her freshly tormented ass. Her cry of protest turned to one of pleasure as his fingers suddenly invaded her wetness. The other hand wrapped around her neck in warning. "Couldn't, pet? Or wouldn't?"

"Couldn't, Lucien," she whispered, her chin tilting up ever so slightly in defiance. "Nor will I ever."

"The only thing I love more than your will," he growled, his hand around her neck tightened. As if he was testing her. The other pressed against her thigh. "Is trying to break it. Spread 'em slut."

She complied, moaning loudly as his fingers invaded again, thrusting harder. "Please," she whispered.

"You should have enjoyed it Kitten. They all think they're better than you," Lucien bit the back of her neck. She moaned again at the familiar sensation of pain and pleasure uniting pushed her towards climax. "They think of you as nothing more than a toy of a demon. A harlot belonging to the enemy. They all know."

Kitten refused to cry, though she'd never been subjected to such cruel treatment from Lucien. She would never allow him to take that from her. She had willingly shed much of her former self for him but that was one thing she couldn't let go.

He chuckled darkly against her ear. "Such," he ordered as he stuffed his fingers into her mouth. She moaned loudly as her own scent and flavor flooded her senses. She sucked on his fingers eagerly. "And they'd be right Kitten. Just look at what an eager little slut you've become. So willing and eager to subjugate yourself to please a demon."

He grabbed her hips, grinding against her ass. He was so hard and she moaned again, grinding against him in return. The riding crop he suddenly had shocked her as it bit into the soft flesh of her thighs. The second strike was harder and tore a scream from her lips.

"I'm afraid you've forgotten your first lesson, pet. Who's in charge?" He punctuated the question with strikes on her thighs.

"You are, Sire," she screamed, pulling against the bindings again.

"Who do you belong to, Kitten?"

"You, Sire."

"And who did you vow to honor and obey?"

She screamed again. "Please, Lucien, no more," she begged.

Stars burst across the back of the blindfold. It took her a few moments to realize he'd back handed her. She tried to brace herself for the next blow, but it never came. A soft rap at the door distracted Lucien.

Kitten felt vulnerable and alone as Lucien's warmth faded. With the blindfold still in place she had no idea where he was or what was going to happen.

Ariana and Catina laughed softly as they meandered through the foliage. Glancing up, Ariana gazed at the stars. Teardrops sewn onto a velvet backdrop. Beautiful. She laughed softly again as a twig flew before her momentarily. "Hey now, aren't we a bit old for such childish games?"

"Aw, come on, Ari, don't you miss being carefree like that?"

Ariana sighed softly and nodded. "Sometimes. But there's good parts to being grown ups now."

"Like?" Catina cartwheeled through the ferns, laughing softly. "Isn't it just a magnificent night?" She turned to her cousin, raising a brow.

"It is a really nice night out," she replied. "And perks. How about being able to do as we like with little interference from our parents?"

Catina laughed again. "That is a perk. As long as we're being responsible too. And that's the problem, responsibility. That's what everyone always wants...."Why can't you be steadfast? Why can't you commit?"" She groaned softly stretching slightly. "What if I don't want to commit? I'm a free spirit..." There seemed to be a petulant tone in her voice now.

"Awww, what's the matter Cuz? Girl troubles again?" Ariana teased.

They continued like that for a bit, taunting one another in their familiar way. Near the Felician boarder they paused, sitting near a small river to rest. Catina dipped her feet into the cool water, watching the moon and stars on the waters surface ripple and dance in the currents. "So, what's up with the Felician woman? Are you having a rendezvous?"

Ariana sighed softly and shook her head. "No, I'm supposed to write her when I get back. Or go see her I suppose."

"You don't seem enthusiastic...."

She shrugged, pulling at a piece of grass absently. "Somethings different. I'm not sure what exactly, but something. We fight longer now, harder. She seems to be pulling away a bit. Like sometimes I can't get through. Maybe I'm just being crazy," she sighed, tossing a pebble into the water. "She has been training rather hard with the Regime lately and I have been busy as well."

Catina shrugged. "All I can think to say is good luck."

"Why's that?"

"You know how Felicians are. Not very intimate creatures I hear, though the sex is pretty awesome." She laughed, shaking her head and splashing a bit. "Hard to deal with. I've even heard the term 'fridgid bitch' used when talking about Felician women. And don't you think it's a bit odd that they have such control over their emotions. It's just not natural...."

Ariana shook her head slightly. "Thanks for the lesson on Felicians, though some of it was a little much for me." She stood slowly, laughing softly. "Let's head back."

As they walked back along the boarder a particular scent caught Ariana's attention. She followed Tachia's scent, wondering what could have possibly had her out so late in the woods. She cautioned Catina to be silent and follow, then she lead the way through the foliage, listening intently.

Tachia clamped her hand over Kicker's mouth. "Shut up," she hissed against his ear.

"What, afraid it's your leech?" He snickered.

She elbowed his gut, biting her lower lip as a jolt rocked up her arm. 'Stupid cur, built out of steel.' "I swear to the moon Kicker...if you screw this up for me, you will regret it."

"How do you figure? She's so beneath you anyway..." He groaned softly and stretched in the underbrush, stirring up earthy smells.

'You can't deny that he IS a fine male specimen though.' "I'm serious, Kicker. I will hunt you down like the dog you are and put you out of your misery," she growled. She pushed herself up, the cool breeze tickling her skin. She paused again, listening. 'Night birds,' she thought.

Kicker grabbed her hair, which was hanging across his chest. In a few fluid movements he had her face pressed to a tree and her arm twisted behind her back. Applying slight pressure to her wrist he chuckled softly against her ear. "You know how much you love it, Princess. You love not having to make any decisions, to just do what I want. No worries. And," He taunted, sliding his hand around her neck, squeezing ever so lightly. "You love that I'm willing to take what I want, that I need you that much."

"I've been Queen for five years now, cur. Do well to address me as such," Tachia growled softly, knowing this trick all too well. Any move on her part would send shock-waves up to her shoulder, very painful shock-waves. She sighed, knowing that she'd give in soon enough. It never took long for her body to betray her, especially not where he was concerned. "Please don't. I have to go, I've stayed longer than I should have anyway."

Kicker tugged roughly on her tresses. Her head tilted back slightly, increasing his pressure against her throat. "One day, Tachia, you'll learn exactly why you don't trust leeches like them." He buried his face in her hair, inhaling and exhaling deeply. "Are you going to her?"

Tachia shuddered involuntarily, taking a deep breath as he moved his hands down her back slowly. "No. You're such a dog. She's away. She'll send a letter when she returns." She whimpered softly as he wrapped his warm arms around her, leaning into her back. "I'm serious Kicker....this is a mistake. One I won't make again, I assure you. If you ruin what I have right now...."

"Shut up, Princess." He muttered.

As Ariana watched silently from the shadow the anger and hurt built rapidly. She remained silent for mere moments before she stepped close enough to be heard and seen. "And what's this?" Her voice was laced with acid, her arms crossed over her chest as she waited to be noticed.

Tachia gasped softly, pushing Kicker away. "'Ana." She whispered. "Wait, I can explain." She said softly, pushing herself up and taking a few steps towards her betrothed.

Ariana backed up, Catina standing a few feet away, shocked by the whole thing. "Do not come closer, Tachia. Don't." She shook her head. "Out of all the things you could have done to hurt me, you managed to find the one that is unforgivable. You said you loved me." She accused, her eyes narrowing slightly on Tachia.

"Better you than her," Kicker snorted softly. He lounged against a tree arrogantly, glaring at Ariana with barely contained contempt.

"I don't believe any of your opinions are wanted. Shut up, dog." Ariana growled, taking a step closer.

"I've been dying to take down a leech like you for a long time now. So please, by all means Princess, lets tango." He bared his teeth, taking a few steps forward.

Tachia had been silent for the last few exchanges, knowing that whatever Ana had to say was right and she deserved every bit. But as she'd sat there, the anger at herself had swelled to include the two most important people in her life. "Kicker, knock it off," she snarled, stepping between the two advancing creatures. She turned to Kicker, pushing him back. "Don't." She cautioned.

"Damn it, Tachia," Ariana growled, grabbing the other girl's arm, forcing her to face her. "I didn't deserve this," she said softly, for a moment, the hurt seeping through the anger to taint the hard glint in her eyes. "But," the hard edge returned. "What more could I expect from a Felician. It's too much for you to be faithful, isn't it?" She snarled, inches from Tachia's face.

Tachia growled softly, shoving Ariana back. "Back off," she hissed, narrowing her eyes slightly, her body still the only thing keeping Ana and Kicker apart. She hoped that the cur had enough need of her body that he wouldn't just down her to get his fight. "Yes, Ana. You have a right to be furious at me, to be hurt by what I've done. And yes, I did say, and I DO love you, very much. But what about you? What about your empty promises?" She advanced on Ana, snarling slightly. "How many nights have I waited for you? How many nights have I spent in a cold, lonely cave waiting for you!?"

"Don't even try and turn this around on me!" Ariana hissed, her eyes flashing in warning. "I've been taking care of the business that I have to while you've been slutting around. You can't even compare the two!" She demanded.

"Don't let her talk to you like that, Tachia! Damn it!" Kicker growled, standing just inches behind her.

"Damn it, Kicker. Go away. You're not part of this." Tachia growled over her shoulder.

"I'm not leaving you with these two leeches. You're crazy if you think I'd do that." He narrowed his eyes as Catina shifted closer to Ana.

"Just take her advice," Ana sneered at him. Then she turned her gaze back to Tachia. "I can't believe I ever believed a word you said."

Tachia's anger flared again and the girls advanced on one another. "I tried," she growled, her hand twitching slightly. "I denied everything I was naturally to be what you wanted. And yet you still didn't want me! You don't think I notice the distance? The numb way you kiss my cheek before you leave me, when we do get to spend an hour or two together. What about "no matter what comes out way, as long as we're together we can handle it"? Huh, Ana?" She pushed her again, irate now. "What about your lies? You want me to change and be something foreign but you break your promises all the time! I do love you, what you saw tonight doesn't have an effect on that!"

"Lies!" Ariana hissed, slapping the blond. "You have no idea what love is, Tachia! You're a selfish bitch and no one will ever love something like you. If I'd known that you were so easy I would have just had my fun and left. I never would have given you my heart."

Tachia screamed, dragging her nails down a near by tree. She left angry gashes in the bark, then turned back to Ana. Her eyes shone icily despite the lack of light. "Given me your heart? You have a funny way of showing it." She shook her head, pacing a bit, feeling like a trapped animal. "You think you're so much better than me. But part of loving someone is forgiving them also. But, I guess I'm not worthy of forgiveness, since I'm such a slut." She shook her head slightly, laughing softly. "You're impossible to please, Ana. And that's why you'll end up alone. I may be lonely in the end, but I'll never be alone. I don't think you can say the same."

"You stupid...." Ariana growled, advancing on Tachia once more.

It all happened so quickly then. Ana was advancing and out of the corner of her eye she registered Kicker moving. He tackled the Princess mid stride and the two went down. Ariana however ended with the upper hand, landing astride the man. She had her dagger in moments and brought it down to his neck. Kicker chuckled darkly and tossed her aside. He went in for another attack, taking the Princess down hard. He instantly had her pinned with the same move that always brought Tachia down. He wrapped his hand around her neck, leaning in to whisper something against her ear. Tachia watched the muscles along his back, knowing the move that would come next.

"No!" She screamed. "You could kill her, Kicker. But you won't live long enough to get satisfaction from it. Catina and I will make damn sure of that."

"Are you kidding me?" He growled, glaring at Tachia over his shoulder. "You're still going to choose her, even after what she said and did? You still love her?"

Tachia frowned and nodded simply. "Just let her go." She begged. She watched as he thought this over, trying to come up with some way for this to end other than one of them dead. She glanced at Catina who was ready with her bow, waiting for the opportunity. "Let her go. Come on, let's go to the river," she purred, slinking past him.

He watched her breeze by, then looked down at the back of the Princess. So close. He snarled as he released her, following after Tachia.

Ariana jumped up, intent to follow. But as Kicker disappeared between two trees and some underbrush, Tachia dropped from the spot she'd darted to in the trees while waiting for Kicker. Her face was a blank mask as she stared at Ana, shaking her head slightly.

"You don't-" Ariana started.

Catina put her hand on her cousin's shoulder. "Don't, Ari. It's not worth it. I'm sorry, but it's not worth it. She's not worth it!"

Tachia smiled sadly and shrugged. Taking one last look at the two girls before slowly backing into the forest.

Catina turned her attention back to Ariana. "Are you-"

"Don't. I'm fine. Let's go." She didn't even waste a second glance as she headed back to the camp.

**Super old, and there's a name used in this one that was also used in the first story, not the same person. This story has lots of installments, dunno if they'll all go up here or not since its kind of old.

“You realize I will kill you if it’s necessary,” Krift growled.

“You could try,” Kicker snorted.

“You’re not welcome here, dog.”

“Come on, Tachia, call off your pack here. I come with gifts.” Kicker glared at the man blocking the cave enterance.

“No,” Salir hissed, taking a protective stance in front of the enterance. Her green eyes glittered in the firelight and she bared her teeth. “No one sees the Queen right now, and especially not you.”

Kicker chuckled, shaking his head at the Personal Cousil for the Queen. “You’re just saying that because you don’t like me.”

“Me not liking you has-“

“Salir, that’s enough,” Tachia appeared at the enterance. Her blonde hair hung loosely around her and she wore an oversized tunic. She whispered something to her cousin, who disappeared into the cave. “What do you want, cur?”

Kicker took a step towards her, not expecting the reaction. Tachia growled, her eyes glowing icily as she advanced on him. “Stay back,” she cautioned.

For the first time he looked at her, now that she’d stepped fully into the firelight. She looked exhausted. Like she’d been at war for weeks. He frowned slightly, trying to recall a time that she’d appeared even half as drained. He couldn’t.

“Tachia,” he said softly, taking another step closer.

“I said back off,” she growled again, her body quivering with anticipation.

“Ok, ok,” he held his hands up, taking a step back. “You look awful.”

The Queen laughed softly at that, turning to stare into the fire. “I’ve had a rough couple of days,” she replied. “Now what do you want?”

He tossed a leather bag her way. It thumped loudly a few feet away from her. “Ahleen and Acten sent them. Ahleen mentioned something about a salve too. She said to use it after bathing – it should help with the tenderness?” The twins hadn’t explained anything that had been in the pack before he’d left. Other than the instructions for a salve, he had no idea what the little bag contained.

Tachia looked shocked and for a second a look of fear crossed her blue eyes, but then she opened the strings of the pack and knelt down to remove the contents. Smoked salmon and venison in quite a large quantity. Krift from his spot by the cave rose a brow, curiousity on his face. Next Tachia pulled out four small blankets made from the softest fox fur she’d ever felt. The last of the blankets had beautifully embroidered tigers. At the botton of the bag were three bottles. One with what appeared to be a salve, the other two contained dark liquid. “These are?”

Kicker shook his head. “I’ve no idea. That was from Acten. What color?” He wanted to go to her side, but he knew she’d react just as violently as before. It was very apparent that Krift and Salir were the only two she’d allow near her.

She shook the vials, holding them up to the light. “Dark. Perhaps green, though I can’t be sure.”

He held his hand out to her and she gladly gave him one of the vials. He uncorked it and sniffed, being assaulted with soft flowery scents. “Some sort of soothing mixture. I can smell lavendar and lilac for sure, possibly some chamomile.” He corked it and handed it back to the Queen.

Tachia went back to petting the soft furs, a sappy smile plastered on her face. She looked up to him. “You’ll have to thank them for me. Really, I love it all. Is there anything I can send for them? They’ve done so much for me as of late.”

Kicker laughed softly and shook his head. “Ahleen said you’d try and give in return. They insist that you simply come by when you can make it.”

She smiled again, shaking her head. “I will have to do that.”

“Tachia,” he started, sighing softly. “There’s something different about you. I can’t figure out what it is but I know there’s something different.” He moved to kneel beside her, a silent prayer on his lips when she didn’t lash out at him.

“Listen, Kicker. You’re right, there is something different. But, I’m not going to discuss it with you.” With that she packed the things into the bag and stood slowly. “Tell the twins I said thank you. I’ll be sure to make my way to Witak when I am able.” She turned, making her way back to the cave.

“Damn it, Tachia,” he growled, following her.

In and instant she’d transformed into the white tigress, taking a protective stance before the enterance. Her tail flicked in aggitation as she growled at him. He took a few steps forward and she attacked. The weight of the large beast was more than even Kicker had expected and she pinned him, her teeth bared as she growled in his face.

“You stupid dog!” Salir snorted, having come out at her cousin’s telepathic call. “She says that you apparently don’t value your life. And the only thing preventing her from ending your miserable life is the love that she once felt for you.”

He tried to move, but Tachia put more pressure on his chest. “Get off,” he snarled. “I’m just concerned. She’s not herself right now.”

“And still, that’s none of your concern.” Salir retorted. “She will kill you, dog. Move again and she will.”

Kicker sighed. “All right, I’m done. I’ll go.”

Tachia glared at him for a moment longer before slinking off him. She made her way back to the enterance then laid across it. Her posture exuded one thing; Mine. He shook his head, staring at the tigress for a moment longer before disappearing.

As he traveled back to his villiage he was sure of two things; There was something in that cave that the Felician Queen wanted no one to see, and, she would kill to protect her secret. He tried remembering the last time before this he’d seen the Queen. It hadn’t been since the confrontation with Ariana. So what had happened in the three short months since they’re last meeting to change the woman he knew so well?

Astrid moved closer to the large central fireplace, gray eyes scoping the collection of trinkets and art that lined walls and bookshelves. She couldn’t help but be impressed by all the fine furniture and art each time she came to Maven’s home. One day she would have just as many nice things, she had decided on her first visit. Each subsequent visit had left that mantra ever stronger in her head.

The blonde Nord looked up as she heard someone enter the room. The man that stood at the opposite end of the great room was unfamiliar to her. Out of habit and her sense of survival, her hand moved to her hip, resting against the hilt of her dagger as she sized him up.

Tall, with hair the color of flames and green eyes that were friendly and open; his broad shoulders and muscular build belied the fine clothes that seemed to say ‘merchant’. The stranger seemed to be assessing her as well, and took a few steps closer with a lithe grace that screamed danger.

Astrid felt her body reacting to him in a way that brought a delicate flush to her pale cheeks.

“Well, lass, you’re not Maven,” the man said in an accent that was both foreign and intoxicating to the young Brotherhood agent.

“Aye, that I am not,” she agreed. “She should be along shortly, or so Sibbi had informed me when he deposited me here a quarter of an hour ago,” she sighed.

The man chuckled softly, causing a weird butterfly sensation in the pit of her stomach. “You’ll learn that Maven works on Maven’s time, lass,” the stranger said with a friendly smile.

Astrid snorted softly and rolled her eyes at that. “Oh, I’m well aware of that already,” she admitted. It didn’t bother her much, it wasn’t like she had much else to do. Maven was just giving her a new assignment, one that no doubt had a very specific time limit.

“You’re unfamiliar to me, lass. What business have you with the Black-briars?” The man asked, leaning his frame against the wall. His green eyes roved her figure again and despite herself, she flushed.

“I could say the same for you,” she retorted.

The smirk that crossed his lips could only be described as sinful. “Are you a little she-devil, lass?” He asked, and when their gazes met it took her breath away.

“When the mood sways me,” Astrid said with more disinterest than she felt. “My name is Astrid,” she said after a short pause. “And you are?”

“Brynjolf,” he said with a nod and that wicked smirk graced his lips again. “And the pleasure is surely mine, lass.”

Just then, Maven swept into the room in her typical self absorbed fashion, saving Astrid from fumbling for some witty retort. The Black-briar matriarch glanced from Astrid to Brynjolf and nodded once. “Good, you’ve met. Saves me some time,” she said.

Everything about Maven Black-briar was efficient. There was never a wasted moment of her time, and save the soul that inadvertently did. She moved to the desk near where Astrid stood and rifled through a few pieces of parchment.

She picked a few and read them quickly. “Now, I know you normally do quick jobs, in and out with little risk of exposure. And, while I appreciate that,” Maven explained handing one parchment to Astrid. “I find myself in a delicate situation. It seems my idiot of a son has implicated my family’s darker history in a letter he sent to an associate of his in Morthal. Not to mention a rather antique necklace that I would like retrieved.”

Astrid glanced over the information then gave the woman an incredulous look. “You want me to infiltrate a well to do family?”

Maven shrugged. “As a maid. Working in the shadows is what you’re best at, is it not?”

Astrid wasn’t going to argue with the matriarch, though she wanted to point out that the Brotherhood didn’t work in the shadows. They ended lives, as easily as could be done and with as little attention as they could.

“Actually, Maven, that’s more what we do,” Brynjolf interceded. He gave a curious glance to Astrid and she sensed he wasn’t quite aware of what organization she belonged to.

“Well then, it’s a good thing you’ll be working together, isn’t it?” Maven asked with a bit of edge to her tone.

Again, Astrid felt his gaze on her and she sighed softly. “So you want me to gather these things; the letter and the necklace? Then hand them off to Brynjolf….” she said, trying to follow the woman’s thoughts. “And then you want him disposed of?”

Maven shook her head. “Is there anything on your orders about killing him?” She quipped.

Astrid shook her head slightly. “No, but I’m not sure why you wanted the Brotherhood involved if you don’t want someone murdered,” she sighed.

Maven gave a dry chuckle and tsked at her. “Dear girl, I can’t very well send that brute of a man in for espionage. He’s too memorable.” She said, giving a dismissive wave in Brynjolf’s direction. “He’ll be working with a blacksmith in the area. You will rendezvous every two days until you manage to gather my things.”

Astrid sighed and nodded her understanding. What good would it do to argue with the woman anyway? Maven had her motives, none of which were ever shared with the ‘hired help’. Besides, it was always better if Astrid didn’t have all the details.

“Your payment will be delivered per our usual agreement once Brynjolf has returned my things to me,” Maven said. The woman was already looking over other papers, leaving it clear to Astrid and Brynjolf that they were dismissed.

~*~*~​

Astrid sighed softly as she stood in the shadows of the Jarl’s longhouse. She’d been under the employ of Naviel Trission in Morthal for nearly a week now, and she’d seen no sign of this letter or the necklace that Maven had sent her after. She was beginning to wonder if the Black-briar matriarch wasn’t just a bit too paranoid.

“You do cut a striking figure in that maid’s uniform, lass,” Brynjolf said from the shadows, startling her out of her musings.

Astrid rolled her eyes and snorted her irritation at being caught off guard. She bit her lower lip as Brynjolf moved into the moonlight, her gaze roving over his body. Striking figure indeed, she thought.

She’d found over the past week that she much prefered the plain linen shirt and leather breeches he wore for working the forge. They better displayed the raw power and muscle that seemed to make up the man. Despite her best efforts to ignore the more sensual thoughts her mind conjured around him, she felt her body reacting to him in a very female fashion.

Brynjolf chuckled softly as he felt her gray eyes travel his form, stirring thoughts that often kept him awake into the wee hours of the night. He wasn’t sure what about the woman had so fascinated him, but he’d found it hard to cast her from his thoughts. Ever since meeting at Maven’s, he’d wondered how that full lower lip tasted. “Bit skittish tonight?” He asked with that wicked smirk as he moved closer.

“I’m just not used to someone who works so comfortably within the shadows,” she shrugged. “Perhaps you can show me a few….tricks,” she drawled with a smirk.

He grit his teeth against the images her simple innuendo conjured. “Perhaps another time, lass,” he said with a dark chuckle. “Safer when we’re not on Maven’s time at the very least,” he sighed and shifted, leaning against the side of the longhouse. “Any news?”

Astrid sighed softly and shook her head. “None as of yet, and I’ve been all over that house. I’ve three lockboxes and a safe left to check. Trission and his family are taking a daytrip to Rorikstead the day after next, I’ll probably be able to knock them out then.” She gave a slight shrug. “Hopefully luck will be with me this time.”

“You’ll find it if it’s there,” Brynjolf assured her. He studied her profile as she looked up at the moons.

“Aye, and if it’s not? I doubt Maven will believe me,” she sighed after a few moments contemplating Masser and Secunda. She jumped as she felt the weight of his hand on her shoulder.

He frowned slightly as she jumped from just the light touch. Who messed you up like this, lass, he wondered. “It’s not time to worry yet,” he assured her, a finger stroking along her neck. He drew his hand back abruptly, wondering what in Nirn he thought he was doing.

Astrid shuddered at the light caress, blushing crimson when he yanked his hand back. “No, I suppose it’s not,” she agreed, turning to face him again. She sighed softly, looking over his figure once more. “I suppose, I’ll see you in two days time.” She said as she slipped back into the shadows once more.

~*~*~​

Finally she caught a lucky break the second day the family was away. The second to last lockbox held the necklace as well as a few correspondences between Sibbi and Naviel. She quickly gathered everything that would be damning if handed over to the wrong hands.

She was nearly out the door when it occurred to her that she would instantly be fingered as the culprit. “Damn you, Maven,” she groaned. A quick glance around the house didn’t immediately give her any ideas. How could she get out of there, without arousing Trission’s suspicion?

She started at the door for a while. They would no doubt notice the missing things near instantly. And suddenly inspiration struck. Trission was a well off merchant, and it wasn’t a secret. It would be quite normal if while the family was away, someone broke in and ransacked the place, she thought.

She went back to her pallet near the kitchen, chuckling softly at her brilliance. She pulled her dagger from her sheath and made a quick slice in her palm with a wince. When she was sure there was enough blood on the blankets, she laid a trail of her blood to one of the back windows. A quick jab with the hilt of her dagger shattered the glass and she finished the whole scene by scattering some papers and furniture around the house.

It didn’t take long at all. And a few hours later she met a courier on the road. She paid the woman a good sum to deliver her message to Brynjolf back in Morthal. Then she headed towards Riften and her promised reward.

~*~*~

Brynjolf walked into the Skeever, dressed as the merchant he portrayed so easily. The dark green tunic was nothing too flashy, but suited him well. Grey eyes followed his figure as he moved to the bar, speaking quietly with the keep. There was a moment’s pause as Brynjolf surveyed the patrons.

From her spot in the rafters, Astrid could see the exchange of parchment followed by coin. The men talked for a moment; what were the latest rumors, any new faces lately, and a brief goodnight. She watched as Brynjolf moved to the stairs.

Silently she descended from her perch, moving to the door of his usual room. It was very easily escaped if need be, she’d watched him do it multiple times. The door was unlocked as of now, so she simply let herself in. She went to the desk and took a seat on the corner, facing the door.

She didn’t have to wait long as Brynjolf entered just a few seconds later.

“Had a feeling someone was on my tail,” he sighed without a glance in her direction. “You know, there’s a few better rooms than this one, lass. The one across the hall even offers quite the view of the gate,” he added. Calmly he moved to the bed, stripping off his heavy cloak and the gaudy tunic.

Astrid tsk’d softly, turning her gaze towards the window beside her in an attempt to ignore his bare back. “Yes, but this one is easier to get in and out of if a situation arises,” she said with a shrug. “I’m sure that comes in awfully useful when you’re a double crossing bastard such as yourself,” she added, glaring at him.

Green eyes narrowed but he offered that damnable smirk. “I’ve no idea what you mean, Astrid.”

She snorted softly and rolled her eyes. “Bull,” she half snarled. “Your people botched a job in Falkreath and now the guard is doubled. I have a contract in the area and our people can’t get near without being questioned five ways to Sovengarde,” she hissed, crossing her arms over her chest.

“You know,” he said with that throaty tone of voice. “Those leathers look much better than that macabre Brotherhood armor you’re so fond of.”

She could feel his gaze on her body as if it were a physical caress and she turned her attention back to him with a glare. “Oh no, you’re not going to smooth talk me out of this one, thief boy,” she insisted. Big mistake, she realized as she was confronted with that toned physique again. She watched muscles play over each other as he stalked towards her with slow, deliberate motions.

“Brynjolf….” She cautioned, pushing herself up from the desk. He chuckled darkly and she felt the sudden flare of lust in the pit of her stomach.

Brynjolf, on the other hand, found her sudden uncomfort all the more interesting. “Do you know I haven’t been able to think clearly since you disappeared from the Morthal job,” he pointed out. He placed his hands on the wall at either side of her head, still smirking. “And then the guards found blood in Trission home….” Those green eyes darkened with something like concern.

She felt her heart race as he effectively pinned her in one spot. For a moment she wanted to lash out, escape suddenly. This was stupid, she chided herself. “I had to figure out how I could make an exit, without it being noticed that I had the letters and necklace. What choice did I have?” She protested weakly.

“Do you know how many nights you’ve kept me awake? The thoughts that have haunted me most nights since I first met you at Maven’s?” He grumbled. His gaze dropped to that full lower lip and again he had the insane urge to run his tongue over it. “I thought Trission had figured you out...hired someone to…” he sighed and shook his head.

“Aw, what’s this? The big bad thief actually has a heart?” She quipped, attempting to lighten what was quickly becoming too heavy of a mood. She attempted to shrug him off.

Brynjolf shook his head, not backing down one bit. “Did you really follow me all the way to Solitude to discuss business, lass?” He whispered.

“Brynjolf,” she cautioned again. She noticed his gaze kept dropping to her mouth and she bit her lower lip in response. She remembered watching him in Morthal, the way he looked in those simple clothes. All she had to do was reach up and push him back, she knew he wouldn’t force anything she wasn’t willing to allow.

“Yes,” she finally said. “That’s the only reason-”

“I want to kiss you, Astrid,” he interrupted. “It’s all I can think about since we worked the Morthal job.” Already he could feel desire stirring in his veins. He studied her face and when she didn’t immediately push him away, he leaned in slowly.

Astrid tilted her head up slightly, welcoming his mouth. She felt his lips against hers, soft - hesitant at first. Then his tongue swept over her lower lip and hers responded in kind. It was an invitation, she realized, a white hot need singing through her veins and wiping all thoughts of business from her mind.

Her hands slid up his arms, one moving to feel those toned muscles along his shoulders, the other dipping down over his chest and abs. She heard him make a sound of pleasure as her hand slipped around his side to move up his back. At the same time, he deepened the kiss, his tongue plunging into her mouth to taste what he had longed for. If she’d had any doubts, it was too late now, she realized.

Brynjolf growled softly as her lithe fingers played over his skin. He pulled her against him, feeling the soft weight of her breasts against his chest. One hand returned the favor, moving down to cup a firm behind that was accentuated by the flexible leathers she wore. “You really are quite dangerous,” he whispered fervently against her throat, trailing kisses and nips along her pulse. He chuckled as he felt her shudder against him. “Dangerous and delicious,” he corrected.

(A fanfic I've been working on for Skyrim. Not sure why but I always thought there was something more about to the disdain Brynjolf has for the Family. And Astrid just kind of always stuck me as a promiscuous type. So....I explored. I figured I'd do a couple more installments. Cause I think what really causes the rift there is a few betrayals back and forth between the two. We shall see though.)

Back
Top Bottom