Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Weight of the Crown (JellyFish & Greeneyed23)

Ne'ebo arched an eyebrow. "You shot a man in the leg when you were six simply because you were cranky? You have a lot of anger my love."

He chuckled at the thought. "Perhaps i could teach you? It would be best if you knew the combative arts when the battle commences my love. You may need to fight. During a war many opportunists seek to seize power. I am not sure where you will be at the time but no matter what you will need to fight."

He took her hand. "i do believe that is your question."

She blushed faintly at the comment, huffing slightly. “It wasn’t anger just mere agitation. But I guess that’s your warning for the future, hmm?” She smiled, squeezing his hand in a joking manner.

“As to fighting, I wou-” A knock at the door broke her off.

“Your Highness, Godric and I were seeing how you were.”

She blinked, not recognizing the voice at first. It took her a moment before her eyes lite up. “Oh! Excuse me, Hama..” Uncrossing her legs, she slide from off the bed and went to unlock the door. With a small click, she was staring into the faces of Godric and Tivia.

“Hey lil’ Snapper. What are you up too?” Godric claimed the still lopsided grin he always wore, towering over the princess. He ruffled his shaggy hair, eyes crinkling in untold joy. Tivia on the other hand rose a brow at Godric, disapproving. But she then turned her focus to the princess, her whole expression changing.

Once more Aretha was brought back to how simple she looked, dark blonde hair pulled into a bun and faint blue eyes that glimmered. She had a round face, some would most call chubby but Aretha could tell that was just the way she born. She curtsied just a woman should, in Aretha then saw she was much more graceful than she.

“Princess Aretha, we came to make sure you were doing alright.”

“Also making sure you hadn’t died by tripping over something. Perhaps a book, a book you still owe me?” Godric was given a good swat by Aretha, herself who growled softly.

“You won’t ever see it. I’ll burn it right in front of your eyes just so you will leave me be, you irritable pig.”

Godric rubbing his arm, looked to Aretha in shock. “You wouldn’t dare!”

Aretha crossing her arms, childishly if ever thought. “I would dare because I can. You would deserve it too. Of all things to do you come and ask about the book and not even my health! So selfish…”
Tivia broke up the threatening argument by sliding in front of Godric and bumping him further back. “Aretha, I heard another voice before I knocked. Who are you hiding?”

Aretha and Godric now looked at Tivia and back to each other. Godric now seemed angry while Aretha was defensive and fluttered as she tried to come up with an excuse.

“Well, there is but…”

Tivia all the more curious had managed to dance he was closer to Arethe, who held the handle of the door open just so she was standing in the crack, and pushed it open. Peering in, she blinked and looked to Aretha, an unreadable stare present.

“But?”

Aretha scowled and leaned against Tivia, upset that she pressed the matter further. "But I refuse to share him So shoo."

"Him!?" Godric had squealed, flabbergasted. But neither girl took notice as they held a staring contest, willing for the other to try something.

A loud bark broke up the argument. A rather large solid black husky save for his white mask stuck his head out of the door and barked several times in row making it sound like speech.

He growled glaring up at them both. he had no collar but had deep green eyes. Hama spoke in Aretha's mind. "Tell them i belong to Ellen."

He barked again his long wolfish muzzle snapping together quickly. He whined up at Aretha, his long fluffy tail flopping against her leg. He tried to pull back but her grip on the door had him trapped making his fur bunch.

He barked and whined trying to pull back.

Dumbfounded, she let go of the door handle and sputtered trying to regain herself.

"El-Ellen's dog. Not mine", she said rather stupidly. Aretha was still processing in her mind what was going on. Gordic and Tivia stared between her and the dog, both holding a questionable stare in their eyes. Godric spoke before his fiance, preferably happy or relived. Which ever you want to see it. He bent down to pet the husky, but Aretha's hand shot out faster, slapping his away.

"I said, I don't share. So back off Godric."

Gordric rubbed his hand, cradling it as if it were a broken child. "Geez, selfish little thing. Did your parents ever teach you about sharing as a kid?"

"Each child never needed to worry about sharing, we had our own toys and wouldn't bother taking the other's." So if you want a dog, go find your own." She spoke with a defiant huff, praying that Tivia would buy it. The woman seemed dubious, arms crossed and thinking.

"Why were you talking to a dog?"

Aretha paused, quickly searching for any answer that might sound believable and sane. She really couldn't find one. Honestly, people would think her stark raving mad just to be even talking to herself but to a dog? "I merely needed someone to speak to and Ellen dropped him over. She can't keep him at home without someone watching him because he has the habit of being destructive when he thinks he can get away with stuff. She'll come home to tore pillows and pushed over chairs. So she lets me have him while she is working. And he's a good listener."

Tivia after a long and delayed minute, shrugged and smiled. "Might want to find a better person to talk to then. What's a conversation if the other can't reply?"

Aretha nodded hurriedly, pushing Hama and herself back into the room. If Ellen were to show up this whole charade would be blown. "Well, I'm fine. I'm talking to a dog. No worries. So I'll see you later?"

Both nodded and walked away murmuring to themselves, most laughing about the princess and her seemingly strange habits.

Pushing the husky inside, she closed the door, huffing. "I should be upset that I was put in that situation, but..." She dropped to her knees and wrapping her arms around Hama's now furry neck and she nuzzled her face into his fur. "You're now too cute to be angry at."

He lay his head over her shoulder giving her a dog hug. he spoke normally now his growling voice rumble from the dog's rather small chest and wrongly suited mouth but somehow it worked. "I am just as surprised as you dear. The Winds of Time and Magic are kind to us. They protect us both. And your behavior is not so odd. you have been known to speak to your horse. Now about fighting? Would you like to learn? And that does not count as my question. In fact is is still your turn."

He wriggled free licking her neck. "May I change back now? This form is interesting but I much prefer my own face. Though i will remember how to achieve it. It will be useful. I advise you convince Ellen to agree to having a dog to protect yourself. Call it a Royal Order if you must. You are no longer the little girl she helped to raise. You are a fine beautiful woman."

He lay a paw on her shoulder. "One day you may be even more." He smiled his long pink tongue lolling.

"I suppose so... You can change back. I'm not stopping you. And I don't speak to my horse!...Much..."

She stood, now planning in how to get Ellen to agree. The woman hated animals. She hated the smell, the way how they trotted in and out, and just the fact the got fur over anything they rolled on. Perhaps it was because she was used to spotless homes and that irritation of seeing anything out of place bothered her.

No matter.

"I'll learn to fight as long as you don't bully me so. I'm not like the Elite you taught, nor do I plan to be. And as for my question, I've run out. I'll have to make a list so I can badge you another time. But if you still want to question me, happily do so."

He smiled and resumed his form stretching his long body. He smiled. "I would not take advantage my love. We will leave it for another time. Tonight my brothers and sisters will gather at the gardens to meet you and your family. Tomorrow we will go to see the Orcs. It has been decided by each race that they will greet us at their throne rooms. The Books of Fital have sent these messages. So not only will you get to see this land but also the lands of your peers amongst the other lands. You and i will greet them and trade your family's gifts with them while i deliver our gifts. Then the Souled from each race and four Dragons will stay with them and travel here. Less strain and less danger from the Rezda. Thus you and I shall have several weeks together alone."

He gently kissed her. "I shall use that time to train you. Your task between now and when we leave is to gather the weapons you wish to study. Be discreet. When you are ready present the weapons, preferably within a chest that will hold them along with your clothing and the chest that will carry your gifts. i will carry them and you easily."

He cupped her face and lightly kissed her. "Can you do that my love?" he smiled. "Will you?"

Aretha nodded in agreement, blushing shyly. She was enjoying his affections on her all too much for her own good, and she couldn't care less for the instant. Her eyes glimmered in delight, shining forth like the swirling colors of deep brown of the winter trees at twilight, flecked with hazel. She gasped his hands, pulling them away from her. Her heart was pounding against her chest frantically, and she feared she would be pushed to deeply into the emotions.

So she distracted herself.

"What kind of gifts should be brought? I don't think I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to the other nations and their tastes. And what of the Elites that you've trained? Shall they be coming too?"

"Your parents are handling that. You should speak to them. i would not presume to dictate such matters. And no. The Elites will remain here and continue to train themselves and their fellows. The progression of the suitable forces toward Ethlberg is continuing. The other nations are already marshaling their current forces and marching them toward the Vast Desert to form a line. The Dwarves are already building the defenses that will push them into the wedge. The Amgi and Orcs should be arriving soon to bend to the work and increase the defenses."

He knew what she was doing and did not object. "I advise you bring gifts of your own and for that i have some advice. The Amgi enjoy clever things. The Orcs prefer art pertaining to the sea. The Dwarves like history. The Dark Elves like things useful in the mountains. Their light brethren like trees. As for my people...something special to you. And yes when the Twelve come I advise you give them something. Your far ancestor Twila gave them each color matched collars that they still wear proudly. She forged them herself. her blood,sweat, tears, and love went into them. We came as one to receive her greetings and friendship. I received my own collar but I seldom wear it. i do not appear in polite society in my scaly form often enough. but..."

He reached into a pocket and pulled out a huge jet black collar made of a black metal and ebony stone. He cradled it like he would a child. 'I treasure this gift more than I do many others I have been granted. It represents three hundred and seventy five years of one human being, a Human Queen at that, who simply out of her own kindness created the Thirteen Rings as these are called. She had no magic nor any special training yet these collars have lasted fifteen thousand years. Twila was Queen when Ethlberg was still more of a village. She guided the shaping of the Throneroom you have known all your life. She was a brilliant Queen. And my dear friend."

He gently put the collar back into his pocket. "We Dragons honor such gifts. The Twelve and i never go anywhere without them and some others." He held out his right hand which was scarred and rather plain save a trio of stoneless black rings on his thumb, first finger and his ring finger. he held up his left hand which was similarly adorned save the thumb ring. "Each of these represent the other large races of Fital at times I came to their aid during Twila's lifetime and they chose to grant me matching honors." He touched a rather muddled stoneless ring on his left pinky. "These were a gift from the others. These I also rarely wear. They are far too precious to risk. I will not tell you what gifts i gave in return."

He touched her face and instead showed her. He started with Twila's first year as Queen. That year her own brother's and sisters had lead a rather severe revolt trying to take the throne and the wealth of Ethl itself for themselves. She had managed to force them out of the city and had been besieged while she begged the other races for help but was refused. Her father Hartin the Slayer had murdered three Dragons, including the child of the very Dragon who's skeleton became a part of the Throne itself, so she had not dared to ask the Dragons. But they had come anyway. They had burned the revolt to ash and helped Twila keep her throne and more importantly her people safe. She then saw as Twila, that same year, began to forge the Thirteen Rings. Her early efforts were clumsy and frustrating but as the days became weeks, then months, then years, decades, and finally centuries the finished products began to become clear.

She also the final day when the massive collars lay waiting. It seems to take millenia for the moment to come. Twila sitting nervous in her throne, and despite her more than five hundred years of age she looked much like she had when she had first become Queen. Like her far distant descendant Patis she had been more than a century old when she had attained the Throne, and like him had not had her children until she had ensured a safe life for the many Princes and Princess she bore, meaning until she had been Queen for some years and consolidated her power. As Aretha watched her ancestor and her many many many children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and so on until it seemed the Royal family was endless. They all seemed nervous perhaps even scared but then suddenly they all jumped as the Twelve came, Hama amongst them, as always present but somehow forgotten.

They brought with them the Skull that became the Throne as well the Books of Fital. It seemed Dragons, like Twila, gave gifts that were of immense historical value but also use.

Hama released her face and smiled. "We like to give helpful but lasting things."

After seeing the vision, she tilted her head curiously. Gifts of use. What did she have that was of use much less importance? Or anything the would appease? Now that she pondered the idea, anything she had seemed no better than frivolous trinkets. Clicking her tongue in anxious custom, she would have gone into the depths of her own mind but realized she was still in the presence of her lord. Her lips quirked in a small smile and tenderly kissed him.

"Thank you, I'll have to put in some great thought in what I shall give. Though have put heavy pressure on me. I hope you're pleased with yourself." She exhaled a humorless puff of air, head turned away from him. But she was not all irked at Hama more or less at her own lack of knowledge on political matters. Glancing to the side, she gave him apologetic stare. "We both have things to do and we'll catch up at a later time. And our conversations, well different conversations, gave me small hints in how to deal with you. Perhaps while on this journey, some games can be played just to see how well we've both learned, hmm?"

Brown orbs danced in a reckless light but without as giving him as much time to question her, she opened her door and pushed him out the room, with a blow of a kiss.

With the door now locked and time to herself she paces as she always did when conflicted. Each gift had to refer to the different nations tastes and they couldn't be halfhearted little things she simply found or asked someone to buy. "I should have paid more attention to the tutors", she muttered with the shake of her head. Immature in this area and quite prideful, she didn't want to seek anyone else's conceal on the matter.

Then she remembered something. The book.

She hated magic. Bad experiences when just a toddler and even when growing up with certain children who dabbled in the arts. They had teased and played horrible tricks on her, which in turn made her less than comfortable around sorcerers and magicians, even simple tricks of illusion made her jumpy. But this would be the best chance if ever to see what use the book could grant her since Godric had no use of it. By perchance, she could even find some ways to play her own harmless, games with a slight upper hand.This brought a sly grin to her as she went to pick up the bag. Opening it she poured out it’s contents.

The doll, the necklace, and the book plopped out onto the bed. She had forgotten about everything but the book. Brushing her fingers against the golden chained feather, she unhooked the lock and placed it around her neck. Even though the feather had been dipped in gold, the color had been tainted into a deep black.

“Such a dangerous little thing I’ve found”, she breathed under her breath.

It was only by chance that she heard of it by the servant girls. The festival usually brought strange people, with even stranger offerings and things to buy. The story behind the necklace was a peculiar one, shrouded in it’s own sense of mystery. No one really knew how the feather was gained, many rumors and tales had been spun and soon no one knew what was the truth and what was just tale. But one thing was known.

It belonged to the Raven.

Though truth be told the Raven wasn’t a raven, much less any other thing. It was a creature that had no name, that no person had ever seen. To put it simply, some said it never even existed. But those were the words of nonbelievers, people who were blind to what was already around them. The Raven was told to have been made in the first of the days of worlds creation. And old and mythical beast, that roamed the centuries. It holds the forms of many creatures, taking on their shapes and sizes, which held the reason why it had been written it was a formless creature. But as the myths continue, one lore had caught Aretha’s ear. The Raven’s favorite form was the same bird it took after and if one could catch hold of it’s feather’s they would be able to wield an extant of the powers the creature did itself even perhaps call on the Raven in trouble. Aretha though had no intention of such things. She was more interested in one simple ability it held, to block out others.

It was a power in which magic held no rule over and visions can’t be proven. It was what kept the Raven protected over the years since no sorcerer could ever cast a spell to see where the Raven would go next. And to Aretha this was now some of value. If she could be able to use this, even the foretellings of prophets from long ago could be swayed. The eyes that saw into the future would only see a blurry picture of what was to come, so predication could be proven false. No one would be able to predict her movements much less decisions unless she wanted them too.

She clutched the feather tightly in her palm, almost to the point were it hurt. It would be helpful, she was sure of it. Especially when it came to people like Grandma Eden or her own nephew. Maybe I am a bit paranoid and slightly too secretive. but it’s not my fault, I don’t like when people can read me even before I do something. Troublesome.

Aretha then crawled to her knees and slid under her bed. She grabbed hold of a brown hand and pulled out a barely used truck. It was one colored; a deep forest green. Rarely used and hidden away, she brushed off the dust it had collected. The question now what was to put in it.

Leaning against it, she looked to the floor, images what she owned flashing in her mind. It was a long process, because by the time she actually knew what she wanted the sun had fallen lower in the sky. But she had nodded off into sleep…

In a matter of moments, she had what she needed. She looked proud of herself, having folded all her clothing neatly. A chore not normally done and had taken much slow action in precisely making the ends meet. On top of the clothes, she had placed the book and the doll, which she had still no clue on why she bought it. But it had been called to be put in with the rest of what she was taking.

She stepped out of her room by this time, glancing down the hallways and made haste to her brother’s training chambers. They had always held many weapons of which she had never known much less could name. But she should be able to recognize some things, even if they were strangely made.

"But darling I-" Hama let her push him out of the room his form vanishing into the protection of the Winds. He smiled as he walked on through the halls. He wondered what she was doing now but let it be as he went to the gardens where he found Nila and Patis still looking worried.

"Your Graces. You seem distressed."

Nila shook herself. "No Lord Hama all is well. We did not expect you. How can we assist you?"

Patis looked up shaking off his worries as well.

"Sleeping with twenty nine Dragons is not easy Your Grace. I thought I would come see some friendly faces and as my fiancee is not feeling well I felt instead I should come see my in-laws."

They both smiled. Despite a few reservations they did know that Aretha was pleased with Hama and that pleased them both very much. "Well it is a pleasure to see our future son-in-law."

He chuckled. "How about a game of chess?"

"With which one?"

"Either. or both."

"You'd play us together?"

"Two on one if you like yes."

"We'll accept that challenge."

Minutes later the board was set up. Hama sat across from the couple smiling kindly while they conspired together. He had given them white so they took first move. He moved his knights up into the middle of the board while they tried to open up their board. Within ten minutes he had slaughtered them, without even moving a single pawn. They both stared at the black filled board and their very lonely king then at each other. "That's not checkmate!"

Hama shrugged. "No. But I can get it in seven moves."

"Prove it!"

Seven moves later his bishops and queen had them in checkmate. They stared at it then up at him. He just smiled.

----------------------------

Lord Trent, the official custodian of weapons and their training within Ethlberg, turned as his doors opened. He was usually busy but rarely with any of the Royal Family though occasionally Nila and Patis would come to practice their bladework, both of them masters with the blade. Aretha however had never willingly stepped into this room before in her life. He bowed to her. "Your Grace. How may I serve you?

Aretha’s eyes flickered over to the instructor, halting in her path. She cursed under her breath, gazing over her shoulder, wondering if she could make a quick exist. But this was impossible since guilt had struck her and the agreement she made all too willingly. It was a known fact by everyone in the castle that she, Princess Aretha, held a high disdain for weaponry or any sort. Assuming it was a result of her brother’s keen attacks and her all too certain demise in their roughhousing.

Regrettably, she had hoped not to be noticed but that dream had been squandered. Heels clicking against the tiled floor and she kept her head held high. “Lord Trent”, she said briskly. She was forced to looked up to the man when he stood from his humbled stance. Most men she was meeting seemed to be taller than her and it was a vexatious system of looking up to them. The corner of her mouth twitched as she crossed her arms.

Lord Trent seemed almost as tall as Godric, but then again, he was much shorter than Hama. But all the same he towered over her, face flecked in worry. “Lord Trent…”, she was finding it more difficult to ask for his assistance and the words were choking in her throat. Swallowing dryly, she started once more. “I desire two weapons. I am leaving for some time and during so I shall be learning in how to defend myself.”

The lord visibly stiffened, cross by her words. His family was well-known for the work they did for the King. Generations of exceletem swordsmen, soldiers, and assassins, it was like spitting in his face to say someone else would be training someone in the royal family. She had to waved her hand to silence him before he spoke. “I’m being trained by a dear one. He personally asked to teach me. So don’t get yourself twisted just because I didn’t come to you first. He asked and I’m only being polite as such to agree.” She flinched at the white lie, biting her tongue. She had agreed because she was lightheaded in her own passions.

But it had calmed the lord and he murmured his apologies. He was supposedly shy, gazing rather around the scarlet colored room adorned with swords and daggers on it’s walls than stare at the princess face to face. They barely knew one another and the man had only caught glimpses of her as she passed through the halls.

“Mi’Lady, what exactly are you looking for?”

Aretha’s hand flew to her chest in shock. She had made a rasher judgement than she thought. She had suspected due to his overwhelming size he would have a deeper voice, gravel-like and low. But it was light and soft, a gentle ring to it mixing with his male tones. She looked to the cushioned arena's floor, catching herself.

“U-Uh…I am.. well. I am still looking to take up the archery from my youth and a blade. As for the sword it has to be lightweight. I am not practiced in using heavy metal much less carrying them and I need something that will be easy for me to use.”

Lord Trent’s dark brown eye squinted in thought. Rubbing his squared jaw, he left without a word and left the princess. At first Aretha was ready to call him back but she found herself twiddling her thumbs as she looked around the room. It was a deadly trap full of sharp object that a child would think are begging to be touched. And Aretha’s childlike part of herself was call to just touch one of the weapons. To acquaint herself with the weight and length. Obviously.

Walking around the room, she took particular interest in a golden branded sword. It was separated from the rest and left in a far corner, alone. Making sure the Lord Trent was still away into the backroom where he disappeared she reached up and pulled the weapon down.

Only to drop it.

It crashed, clattering against the hard floor and she had to step on it so the sound wouldn’t echo and further. Panicked, she knew she couldn’t pick it up. It was too heavy! The gold weighed it down so considerably it was the reason why she dropped it in the first place! “Oh Zoar, what if I chipped it?”, she reached to touch it but a shadow fell over her. She shot up, jumping away a couple spaces. “It dropped on it’s own! I didn’t touch it!”

Lord Trent chuckled, handing Aretha a black bow with a quiver full of arrows and an interesting sword before he went to pick up the golden blade. “Don’t fret, it’s not harmed and too old to be used any way. Simple decoration. But it might be better if you ask though before you go touching things that don’t belong to you.”

“Are you scolding me?”

“Only because it’s true.”

Aretha rose a brow and held out the weapons in her hand. “Do your job and explain.”

Trent put the sword back into it’s horizontale place and nodded toward the bow. “You already know what that is so I wouldn’t explain. But the sword is double bladed. Something my family used to use. The handles can be unlocked or locked in place either allowing you to use one sword or both. It takes some practise not to nick yourself when handling it, but as you can see it’s very light. Made that was so that when the holder is flinging themselves around they don’t stab themselves instead of the enemy. Also before you ask about it’s measurement just know your parents had planned to force you again into this again after they found a way to blackmail you. Seems you did that pretty well though on your own.”

Aretha sharply glared at Trent who held a black face, not a single drop of humor in his voice. He knew better than to even try to pull a joke like that on her. She gritted her teeth and left the room without a single word, but after the door was slammed shut she heard his laughter follow.

“Ignorant little cretin… Who does he think he even is?” She growled, walking back to her rooms.
Now having placed her newest additions of toys, she placed a couple other books into the trunk, positive she would grow bored one way or the other. She then closed the truck, locking it. She numbered and checked everything in which she thought she would need and contented, she left to go find her family.

She walked in on her parents, frustrated and defeated with a very pleased Hama sitting in front of a chess board. She walked up behind of her father, looking over his shoulder. “I do hope you didn’t allow him to beat you so easily? After all, this is supposedly the game of kings. Such a shame if you lost…” She was softly mocking them in good show, as she always did if they made a mistake or lost at a game with their children. It usually turned out to be interesting to watch as they would defend themselves with some excuse.

Nila sighed and Patis just grunted. ""We did indeed lose. not that you could do any better. And what's this about going with Lord Hama? We thought you were ill?"

Nila's eyes flashed and Patis smirked as he looked up at his daughter. Unlike her siblings they had never let her have her way with them and rather enjoyed reminding her of her own faults and failings.

Nila smirked. "Or perhaps you are just taking the first chance to see the world as you always swore you would?"

Hama had reset the board not speaking at all. The new game began but just as quickly he had them in checkmate, this time before they had even realized it still waiting for him to move when they noticed he had long since stopped paying attention but was instead watching Kurtis. They were still trying to figure out how he had done it when Nila the Red came over and knelt. "Majesties. Lord Hama. it is nearly time for the noon meal. May we have out rations?"

Queen Nila grunted. "No. You will eat with the rest of us. The cooks have it prepared. Sit with me Nila. I would hear more of you."

The younger woman blinked then nodded giving the order then sat by her Queen and the two began to talk. Hama looked up at Aretha and winked. Patis sighed. "Come Aretha. Sit by your fiancee. You two leave in the morning."

“Illnesses seems to leave as mysteriously as they come. Just as such as your ability strategic ability to win while playing chess.” She replied smartly, her own unwillingness to be outdone overcoming her. She patted her father’s shoulder just to lower the bite of her remark.

“But if you must know, the possibility of escaping from my own families clutches might be the reason why I leave. Then again who knows?” Smiling, she made her way over to a empty seat next to Hama and took her place there. Her eyes wandered the board and she glanced at Hama. She recalled him saying that he never cheated at chess but still she did wonder.

She picked up the black glazed horse, rolling the piece in her palm. From the corner of her eye she spoke quite plainly though there had been some interest that. “Mother and father are very difficult to win against and they don’t like losing. Even I don’t dare try to outsmart them in this game. So how exactly did you win? Was it perchance by mere luck, my lord?”

Hama shook his head and started a third game. this time he explained each moved. even as he did he quickly slaughtered the Royals his careful protection of his pieces leaving them unable to strike back as soon they found themselves once again left with only their king. each of his moves was careful, legal, but brutal, even when it was merely a establishing move as it turned out to actually be a trap in waiting. His king was untouchable and his bishops, single rook and queen were holding the black king in checkmate.

Nila sat back. "That is so not fair!"

Hama smiled. "Why not?"

"I watched you do it and i still don't see how to stop you."

Hama smiled.

"That's your problem Your Grace. You are focused on stopping me. I just focus on moving my pieces to take yours. I don't worry about your moves."

Patis grunted. "but we could be out of position!"

Hama shrugged. "And? Say you were. I'd either move you back or take the piece when you moved wrong."

"How do you know we would?"

"You have no choice. When I force your king out of position that gives me the move." he looked at his fiancee. "I do not cheat."

Kurtis smiled and leaned on his arm. "Nope. He don't cheat." Hama pulled the boy onto his lap. Kurtis watched his aunt. he cocked his head studying her. His young yet somehow old eyes sensed something about her but he just shook his head, and lay back against Hama's chest. "Dragon's aren't allowed to cheat at chess."

Hama chuckled the sound rumbling. "Very true. We view the game as a match of honor. Not to be tainted."

Kurtis nodded and spoke in true Dragon shocking his grandparents. "Thef Ry Kri?"

Hama nodded. "Yes my young friend. Thef Ry Kri. Word of Fang."

Aretha had a twitch of a smile, seeing her parents outward amazement. But it was to be supposed Kurtis could do thing no one would even think he was knowledgeable about. A Prophet. She blew a breath in airless laughter. So very different was he. Were they both, really. Shifting in her seat, she poked Kurtis's cheek affectionately and moved to play in his thick hair. Brushing her fingers through the silk locks, she rose a brow.

"Now how would you know about such things, much less of dragon's tongue? No more than still a baby and you seem to know more than the rest of us. That's what is unfair. To think I'll have to race a toddler when it comes down to being knowledgeable. Hmph, my own haughty pedestal of prestigious pride has been shaken down more than I thought possible."

She passed a meaningful glare to Hama, mostly blaming him for such events. Removing her hands away from Kurtis, she lightly brushed it down Hama's arm, lingering for only a moment before withdrawing. She then turned her attention back to her mother and father, licking her lips. They had lost terribly but she was catching on to their mistakes, the same exact things that were slaughtering them.

"As to the reasons why you are losing, you have a weak opening." She herself placed the pieces back into their rightful places. "Since you are playing white, I suggest moving your pawn, the one in front of the king, by two spaces. Then move the other pawn in front of the queen by one space. From there move your bishop to back up the pawn number 1 which had already been moved." She drew a alarming smile, quipped with a plan. "Use stonewall, if you even plan to win. And also..." She tapped her nails against each four squares in the center of the board. "Keep an eye on your center. You seem to get scared after you see him winning and end up spacing your pieces out to widely while focus on what you think is the main offender and you lose your place in keeping the center of the board. That's when you really begin loosing all hope... You been honestly giving him the advantage since your first move, as you forget about defending."

She sat back, closing her eyes to hide the gleam. "And I disagree with you, my lord. You should always worry about their moves. You'll never know what your opponent has in plan for you." Her words held a definite meaning, posed and perilous as ever.

Kurtis shrugged giggling. "I dunno. I just do."

Hama did not speak. He counted her moves then moved his knights out and in then took first pawn moved. He moved for the Royals taking his own knight with the second pawn. He thus cleared the center just that quickly. "I love plans. Especially my opponent's. I love to trash them."

Nila and Patis studied the board and after moving the king side knight they castled then moved their queen up trying find some of the center. Hama had moved his knight up a space up from the queen side knight's pawn. He then moved his queen's bishop pawn up to protect the knight. Following the white knight he moved his queen into the space left by the pawn. After the castle he moved his king's pawn up. They brought their queen up a space and Hama brought his black bishop diagonal right two spaces.

Nila and Patis saw what he was up to and moved their knight to guard the castle and Hama smiled. "See? You can't trust plans. one little move and they fall to pieces." He took the far pawn with his queen and smiled as the took her with the knight which he took back with the bishop checking them again forcing them to take the bishop.

What followed was a rather sloppy trading back and forth of pieces and moves. After much struggling and careful movements on Hama's part slowly chipping away at their pieces until finally with only both rooks a queened pawn and a single of pawn he had them again. This time they knew they had gotten so caught up in trying to drive him into a trap he had been able to break the traps and finally took their queen with a hard protected pawn.

They sat back. Hama grinned. "Better that time."

He lay his hand on Aretha's gently. "What my opponent should keep in mind is that no matter what they plan my only goal is to win. And I have never shied away from pain to do so." His eyes blazed as Kurtis looked up at him.

"Like with Antabel?"

"Yes Kurtis."

Nila arched an eyebrow. "Antabel?"

Hama sighed. "Elf queen who tried to force the two races together and killed everyone who argued it. i had to face her in battle without my arms or use of my fire. She broke my legs, all of my ribs and a lot of my face but finally i crushed her skull under a falling statue rolled into. Landed on me too."

Kurtis nodded. "Woulda killed him too. But he managed to snap his head out of the way."

Hama grunted still staring at Aretha.

Aretha feeling as if she was being watched, opened her eyes and turned to directly look to Hama. A rising burn of her checks told her that she was now blushing, but she didn't look away. It was becoming some a kind of staring contest and she refused to turn away.

“Winning is never to be easy or harmless. If there is no risks and it’s a game that can be easily won then what would be the point if there wasn’t a challenge?”

Without moving her stare, she rolled his palm up on the armrest, her fingers spreadings out his own. Absentmindedly, she started lightly tracing the lines of his palm, a ticklish motion she herself was prone to.

“Besides how do you know a plan can fail if you don’t know your opponent to the best of your abilities? By knowing your opponent, his weaknesses, his strengths, what ticks him and what makes him become irrational you become the attacker. You can prod and even control him to an extent just because you watched and not concluded. But if you are all too confident, the one in which you plan to win over can pull a blockade right before your eyes.”

Finally, she broke into a grin, a grin that held daring defiance. She tilted her head, much like a cat would as it observed something of interest. In fact, you could say Aretha was like a cat in it’s own way. The ongoing stare, holding a light of intelligence and high self-esteem. The way she moved; light and graceful.

“I rather think plans are what wins a battle. What matters is how the enemy may attack and what his patterns are. If you study those patterns, everything else is unraveled.”

She suddenly squirmed, her charade of an act now taking it’s toll. Trying to put a brave front, she had placed her opinions, no questions asked. But as she continued that damned staring contest she was losing it. If Kurtis and her parents weren't there she would have already been leaning against him, in his lap, murmuring into his neck, probably things unbefitting of a lady.

No! What am I even thinking!? You silly girl, just ignore it! Ignore your thoughts! She breathed shallowly, though unable to deter herself. She wondered now what exactly did make him tick.. Maybe even use it against him, for her own advantage? Her eyes lite up at the prospect and thus left her to now prove that a plotted out plan can and would work, under her supervision of course.

He smiled his eyes as still as the rest of him. "Winning is not the challenge. Winning is the reward. Surviving is the challenge."

"Your parents' weakness at chess is that they tend to focus on trying to beat me while I am busy ripping up their defenses. when they focus on that I beat them. I always study my opponents. Tzechtl Rha for instance. He has a slightly off center jaw making his bite a touch slow. He has a deep scar on his left side from my fangs. It failed to heal right so he keeps it well armored."

He growled slightly. "It is never the plan that wins the battle my love. It is the warriors who fight them. A brilliant plan can fall apart if improperly executed and a horrible plan can work if correctly executed. is that not so Your Grace?"

Patis nodded. "So it is my dear."

Hama remained stone still watching her eyes. His eyes dared her to try him. He would not move. Did not need to move. and he certainly did not need to blink. His motivations were his own and it would talk much more than simply staring to find out even the least of them.

She rolled her eyes at that, breaking the stare but never moving her hand or it’s motions. “A warrior no matter how brilliant can make a single mistake that risks him everything. You play chess and win because you know it that well. You’ve practised and practised, until you know know about if not all the moves that can be played. So even if you don’t know your next opponent it’s fine because based on every move he makes they is a way to fend it off. Now if you set a warrior in a place where he is unfamiliar, as to say you play a game I know because I made the rules and your are unfamiliar to them, who do you think will win? I will, undoubtedly. Unless you pull some trick, mind you. But the reason I won was not because I know the rules but because I have already planned the best way to make your lose as painless and miserable as possible. So it doesn’t matter if you train the most unbeatable warrior around, a single mistake because they did not plan a force of attack can kill them due to a unclear and wobbly stance in how they should attack. ”

She pointed to the board, the pieces and all. “Chess is a game of strategy. A pretend war that no one loses a life just pawns. A real battle has to be planned always and when that plan is in set everyone follows it and because just because one person decided to do their own great idea they lose the battle completely with many lives to account for. I agree a warrior's mindset is important, but not as important as a plan. You have a plan in how to defeat Tzechtl Rha’s army. You wouldn’t dare do so without planning a set of attack first. So if you want to prove that it’s the warrior and not the plan, then I suggest a game between the two of us.”

She smirked, a hint of playfulness hiding the seriousness behind her challenge. “ Through the course of the day, one of us will come up with either some kind of challenge in which the other has to use instinct or a plot. Based on how many times one is choose and won, used in such that’ll prove who is right and who is wrong.”

Aretha was famous for such little things in the castle. She would pull family, friends, guards, and servants into her little sports. And always won. With now the prospect of a new player, she nearly wanted to jump out of her seat in excitement. “So, my lord, are you willing or scared that I’ll be right?”

He smiled. "I accept of course. But you are making a faulty assumption my love. No plan, no matter how thorough is perfect. That is usually the largest mistake made in any battle. And it is the duty of the warriors to complete the plan. Assuming it is our fault for the mistakes made is often the flaw found in histories written by those who CLAIM to know better. But try me my love."

He flexed his hand under her fingers. 'As to your game i am willing to play but you shall have to go first. I want to be sure I understand just what it is you want."

“Do I want something? This may just be another ploy to gain your attentions”, she replied coyly. Leaning over the side of her chair, she skimmed a heated a breath of air against the shell of his ear, whispering lighty. “Or maybe I’m just playing my own chess game and I’ve just made you one of my competitors?”

Sitting back down in her seat, she caught the stare of her parents who held a knowing glance between each other. She frowned and they looked in whatever directions except at her. Aretha sighed, now seeing that leaving the castle would make this slightly more difficult.
In a different environment and space, but maybe…

Possible alliances could help her in the end. She’d prove her argument, one way or another. Contented, she rubbed his palm and gave him a quizzical glance. “Are your hands ticklish?”

He shook his head. "I am not truly ticklish anywhere. Scales don't translate that feeling."

He studied her smiling. "I've warned you my love. If you bring me into a game i will test the game itself and it's rules. So be careful of yourself."

His eyes were calm and deep as ever daring her to try him. He had thousands of thousands of years of experience and a brutal ruthlessness that would give him a great advantage. He leaned over and kissed her. "So again. How do we we begin?"

“I particularly like hunting games. Or you could call it a treasure hunt, if you prefer. The rules apply to these: The first clue I will give to you is the last clue you will get from me willingly. The rest are connected to each clue already given. The clues can be a riddle, a map, anything around the sort that finds a hidden piece to my puzzle. They might even be a person that is connected to the prize. Rule 1: You can’t guess for any answers. They have to be definitive. Rule 2: You can ask people questions, but careful of who you ask and how you ask it. You could get the wrong answer. Rule 3: Don’t cheat. Meaning you don't use any future stuff. Rule 4: You can ask me questions but you have to be clear on what you want to be answered; I’ll always answer truthfully. But I can be vague or downright confusing if you don’t think before you ask. Rule 5: You can force people to give you answers. Blackmail, bribery, whichever. As long as you don’t physically harm someone. Rule 5: As the competitor, I’m allowed to try and stop you in whichever way I please, as long as I don’t harm anyone, you, or cause damage to property. But I’m limited to only playing one trick a day, while you can play as many as you wish to get an answer.”

She crossed her legs, eyes lowered darkly. The King and Queen were now nervous. They had seen their daughter and her games; usually ending in someone being utterly embarrassed and humiliated. Nila coughed, speaking to Hama.

“My Lord, you really don’t have to amuse her or take part. This is her childish way of annoying people. The only reason why she would even go this is when she’s intimidated by the prospect of someone. An act of placing herself in a superior position.“

Aretha looked at her mother, aghast. “Not true in the least! I’m just making sure he’s entertained properly. Now as for what you would be aiming to win. I have four secrets. Four in which I have never told anyone nor would plan to.”

This made both her parents look to her worried and suspicious, but she ignored it completely. Certain things she would never tell anyone because these things would and could be played to undermine her and trust wasn’t an easy thing for her to obtain.

“Each clue will lead you to an item in which I have placed. For each secret you have to have eight item in total for me to tell you each secret. Now if by the end of the day you don’t find that item one of the secrets I won’t have to tell you, since you need two items for one secret. As for your game, you can give me one of your own tests while you look for my clues, as to be fair.”

She bit the inside of her cheek, wondering if this was something she actually wanted to do. Twirling a strand of loose hair around her finger, she watched Hama. “Any questions?”

He just smiled as he leaned in and kissed her deeply nipping her lip lightly.

He pulled back smiling. "That which is sweet shall not be eaten. That which is rotted must be eaten. Both come from the same parent. What are they?"

He kissed her again then stood. "Excuse me. i have a game to begin."

He bowed to each of them then went for a walk studying the castle and making his plans. He was studying a statue of her eldest ancestor carving at Ethl when he smiled.

"Godric. I am Hama. I would like to speak to you."

He had popped up behind the magician making the man jump. "Tell me about your style of magic. Could i offer you something to drink?"

While he awaited for the answer he led the smaller man to a small but private sitting room and helped him sit as a servant brought them drinks.

"I would like to know what you do and how you use the Winds."

Back
Top Bottom