Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Weight of the Crown (JellyFish & Greeneyed23)

Sitting next to her companion, she crossed her arms, smirking. "Dear girl, I have to wonder what it's like to roam the streets of my home freely without any nosey guard or pestering brothers to follow you after each an every step. As you know, the women of my family are not allowed to be seen in the city. So kinda of twisted rule we follow in order to keep the ladies protected." Aretha rolled her eyes frowning in displeasure. Mary had tilted her head, stating at Aretha intently.

"I've never had a single chance to explore the towns below and I believe it's due time as such." Aretha now was pacing unmercifully, as she began to talk to herself more than to Mary. As she continued to speak, the tones of bitterness and determination grew increasly strong. "I'm now a grown woman, what's to hold me back from seeing new things?"

"Your father, your mother, the servants, your ladies in waiting, your brothers..." Mary piped up, count the numerous people on her fingers of who would disagree to Aretha's rants. She moved to her seconds, tapping her thumb while trying to think of more. "Enough! It's understandable of how that would feel that way, but they don't need to worry."

"Do you even know how to defend yourself?"

"No... well, actually..."

Mary stopped her, looking greatly upset. "No, you don't. Princesses won,t know how to defend themselves. You are to be someone who is delicate and easily damaged by any passing wind. Did you never hear of our legends?" Mary brought a hand to her chest, coughing lightly and began a story.

"Long ago there was a king and queen, who only had one daughter. The daughter was of fair skin and beautiful to behold. But the girl did not know of how she was to act. Her curious nature was uncontrollable and her parents knew not of what to do wi-" Aretha groaned, shaking her head. "I know of this story already. The girl had taken it upon herself to leave the castle when no one watched. While she explored she was stolen and taken by force by an evil man who wanted to rule the kingdom. The land was nearly given to him until a knight had come and killed the girl and the babe within her. The evil man now could not take hold of the kingdom but at a price. What do you want from me now the moral?"

Aretha flung her hands into the air, becoming upset with the silliness of it all. "That a mere story to scare young girls into staying home instead of.."

"Going out to places where the don't belong", Mary finished. "Be reasonable, my Majesty. This plot of your will not end well. Someone of your birth does not belong in such places. I plead of you not to do it lest you be stolen away." Aretha giggled saving her hand to dismiss the girl's worries. "I shall not be stolen, please thats absurd." Mary was now on her feet and places her hand on her hips, hissing. "And how do you suppose you'll get down the mountain?"

Aretha snorted, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "On my horse of course. Do you think I have not planned all of this beforehand? I am offended Lady Mary. Here I was thinking that you thought I was smart." Aretha pouted her lower lip jousting out, trembling. Mary blushed, looking anywhere but the princess. "I ask your forgiveness."

Aretha now smiled, something like a devious devil who just won a soul. "I'll only forgive you if you do this for me." Mary narrowed her eyes in suspicion, not for a single moment trusting Aretha.

"You must go with me to the festival tonight."

"Have you finally gone insane?! Not even Zoar himself could convince me to do such a thing." Mary seemed ready to storm out of the room, when the powerful roars of a beast and clanging bells filled the air. Mary covered her ear, the two sounds combined being painful for the country girl. Aretha in the other hand, ran to the window throwing the glass doors open. "Those are the dragon bells again, but why?" She looked around, pulling herself to the ledge and dangerously lifted her legs to dangle in midair.

Mary squeaked when she noticed Aretha and her stunts. "Holy fire of Melnnar! Do you plan on killing yourself?!" Aretha leaned backwards, hair falling from her face as she looked to the upside down Mary. "Live a little Mary, I know you've done more thing than I that could be called dangerous." Aretha's words held a taunt that would not go by unnoticed. Mary sighed, looking over Aretha shoulders.

"By Zoar.... What are those?"

Aretha founder herself glancing between a black dragon who graved their ears with another deafening roar and when his reply was responded to she saw more dragons in the skies above. "And to think, he didn't even have the decency to say anything", Aretha blew out a laugh watching the sight. "Those are dragons, dear Mary. Frightfully beautiful, are they not?"

Mary said nothing, clinging to the back of Aretha waist, in fear. Aretha latter the girls hands, understanding the reaction. She herself had felt it now that she had seen Hama as an actual dragon. A vision is one thing but seeing the real, breathing thing nearly made her choke. "W-why are dragons even here?"

"Mary, you're telling me that you have not overhead someone discussing that fact a dragon has been living with us the past couple of days?" When Aretha said this, she could have slapped herself. He had only been here for a couple of days and she had given him her heart? She felt a warm heat crash through her when she thought about him, growing feebly weak at the sight of him. By the gods! She never even had the chance to play difficult!

" A dragon has been living with you?! And you never told me?!" Aretha snapped her head around, glaring at Mary who had just so decidedly screeched. "Calm down! It's been common knowledge for everyone in the city!" Mary pulled herself away from Aretha, still upset that she had never known. "I demand to know what he looks like! Tell me this instant!" Aretha brushed her off, blushing intensely. "You can see him later, I'm sure."

"Tell me! Come on!"

Somehow her whining words seemed strangely familiar. "Okay, Okay, just give me a moment. He's...well, he had green eyes. They shine so brightly and clearly, it's like your downing in them. He's very tall...much taller than most people in our kingdom. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of a towering tree..." Aretha's face was now becoming a deep shade of red as she continued, groaning inwardly. "And goddamn that voice..." Aretha was snapped away from her daydreaming when Mary gasped.

Uh-oh.

"You ... LIKE a dragon?!"

"Yes, No! I mean, well, you see.... Yes."

"How do you even fall in love with a dragon?!" Aretha covered her face, shaking her head in her embarrassment. Mary made it seem like such a wrong thing to do! Perhaps it was, but she remembered kissing her lord and being so close, it couldn't be wrong when it was so right. She breathed out, lowering her hands to her sides and taking a firm note.

"You pay attention to your love life and I'll do the same." She pulled herself from the window now stepping up to Mary. "And that isn't the subject at hand. We shall be leaving this evening to go to the festival. You know, the same festival to celebrate Teliar? God of wine? Everyone will be out, all the shops will be opened late into the morning, and with the arrival of the dragons this is the perfect opportunity to leave the castle unnoticed. So were something dark and comfortable. And don't forget, I'll pick you up from your room."

Mary could only nod, finding it hard to argue with a woman who could stare death right into you, she nodded but muttered under her breath of how they would both be killed. Aretha didn't give a single damn. Happily she left her guests room to prepare herself for her escape scheme. But would Hama notice her absence? Surely he would. But hopefully by that time she would be back in the castle, tired from her journey.

Ellen sniffed. "Just tell her!!' Mary flinched but before she could say anything to the maid Ellen pointed at the huge black dragon. "That's Hama! When he is human he is also dark of skin and has long braided hair."

She stalked off leaving Mary stunned.

--------

Hama continued to roar, and though it did not sound like it, he was actually singing his welcome to his brothers and sisters. After two hours, where in everyone was able to see the Dragons, they flew up and onto the ledge where Hama greeted them by lifting his wing allowing them to join him on the ledge.

First came the Purples. "Sister Inza and Brother Anza Longfang."

The Reds. "Sister Iwi and Brother Trem Highnest."

Blues. "Sister Mwe-Pa and Brother Kidr Saphri."

Yellows. "Sister Brokenhorn and Brother Ns-Ky Sunstone.

Oranges. "Sister FireEye and Brother Redclaws Firedim."

Greens. "Sister Grasseater and Brother Treesleeper Spiketail."

Pinks. "Sister Sky-Eye and Brother LongHair BloodBringer."

Browns. "Sister Twohead and Brother Tlex Earthwing."

Greys. "Sister Ashmaker and Brother WiQi Greyskull."

Whites. "Sister Snowscale and Brother Snowbringer Cloud-Dweller."

Golds. "Sister Wealthback and Brother Ichny Treasurechest."

And finally the Silvers. "Sister Pola and Brother Shiningbrow Moonchild."

The Souled got done from their mounts and bowed to the elder brother,. as did the twenty full Dragons. He studied the three females and two males. "Beni Single-eye, Katherine BurntPaw, Lydia No-Tail, Martin Crims, and Tromy Gatherer. Welcome. Welcome to you all."

They bowed. "We thank you for the welcome High brother Hama Tritail." he nodded and gestured with his wings. "Enter your Embassy and be replenished with love."

They nodded and obeyed followed by Hama who entered at his full size. He sent messages to the royal family that he and his brothers and sisters would not be presenting themselves to the court until the next day as the dragons were going to enter the gardens through the SunDial, a huge glass lens over the gardens that had markings that accurately told the time, and could be easily moved aside and could, with ease, allow the presence of any of the Dragons except Hama.

he also sent a message to Aretha. "Milady i wish you pleasant evening. Should you have need of me merely call my full name and i shall come to your aid. Yours for all of time Hama Tritail."

Aretha stared at the paper in her hands, thumb gently rubbing over the smooth material. She had kept on reading the message over and over again, sometimes laughing lightly at her own clueless state. She kept on forgetting Hama already knew what she would do even before she knew she would do it, it was really a queer concept to grasp. Unnerving at times but all the more interesting. Her eyes flicked over to the large glass window, the rays of sun being smudged in oncoming darkness. The sun whispered it's goodbye among graying clouds and the moon took it's place, shining boldly in the sunset sky.

Looking back upon the day, Agatha had come into her room unexpectedly.

"Aretha, I'm sure you've already seen the dragons?" The golden haired woman, smiled lazily as she fingered her hair, pulling out any tangled strands. Agatha fidgeted on her feet, moving from one foot to another. She always hated it when Aretha took her time when answering, as if she were striking an attack plan with the way her eyes would glaze over and still continued in a unmoving stare. Aretha finally moved her attentive gaze from her sister, nodding slowly.

“I did indeed see them. It was quite an interesting show, no?” Aretha smiled a wide grin, dimples deepening as she beamed. She turned onto her side, arm leaning against the velvet cushioned lectus as differing shapes of pillows kept her comfort. The seat itself was beautifully made, carved from red oak and held no back. It was laid near the corner of the room, far from the door but instead close by one of the many windows of the room. She always had a strange habit of wanting to be in the heat of the sun’s rays to keep herself warm and today was one of those days. On her lap, a black book was laid, unfinished at the moment.

Agatha breathed out a heavy sigh, arms crossed as she rocked back and forth on her heels. Her eyes roamed the room, falling on Aretha, who seemed unbothered. Her little sister was simply resting, locked away in her chambers and somehow it made Agatha suspicious. A broad frown was painted on her lips, as she tapped her fingers in a steady rhythm against her arm. “Why did you not come out to find anyone? Usually you of all people would be upset at any surprises, so why the change now?” It was now Aretha’s turn to become unsettled. Agatha had become noisy as of late and it was now making it close to impossible for her to do anything.

“I know not of what you mean. I saw the dragons and did not question it, afterall we have been getting many unexpected visitors as of late. So the question is not why the change but why even be bother being surprised? I don’t like surprises but I’m becoming quite numb to the whole sensation.” Aretha’s expression was becoming harder to read she she started to smile once more. Agatha snorted, distrustful of her sister’s calm composure. Stepping across the room, she now leered over Aretha who continued to smile.

“What are you hiding?”

Damn, she’s getting better at seeing through my tricks. Must be a mother’s intuition or something. Aretha could feel the caress of laughter bubble in her chest. Her smile was now straining against the pressure in her and it was becoming unbearable. She had to do something quick. “Why are you even bothering me? I’m in my room not making trouble like how everyone in this whole castle complains of me so. And when I finally start acting like the lady I’m always scolded to be, and I do as such, you disturb my peace by storming into my room and questioning me like a common thief!” She scowled, her voice rising in a angry boom and she shook in her false anger. Clenching her teeth, she blew out a low, threatening hiss. “Is there anything else you want to declare of me while you’re here? Perhaps call me fraud? Maybe I’m not even Aretha and just some impersonator who has taken her place!” She sat up, her book falling to the floor with a loud ‘thud’.

Agatha’s eyes widened and she took a step back, uncertain of what her next approach should be. Aretha rarely ever got angry, irritated was common, but pure anger… no that wasn’t right. “Aretha, I didn't mean to offend you. I and the others were simply worried for your health. We thought something terrible had befallen you and I came to check. When I saw you simply reading, I was ...placed in shock. It’s unlike you not to be moving around.” Aretha cringed, guilt piling into her soul. She hadn’t mean to sound harsh much less make her sister feel as if she had to apologize. But she concluded that it had to be done, so she could make a successful escape.

Aretha looked away, caramel hair falling to hide her face. “I’m sorry. It’s true, I haven’t been feeling very well and I snapped. It was not your fault and I must beg for forgiveness.” For some reason, she had been apologizing more than she wanted to during the past days. Maybe something was wrong with her. Agatha clasped her hands together, a bit relieved. “Do you want me to fetch a nurse? I’m sure you’ll want to be present when we speak to the newcomers.” Aretha choked, shaking her head rapidly. If a nurse were to come, she would never be able to leave her sight! “I-I’ll be fine! I just need a night’s rest and I’m sure I’ll be well by morning.”

It had been about five hours gone and past since then and now she walked down to Mary’s room, the sun setting in the distance. They should have left earlier but sleep had fallen upon her and when she awoke, evening had already struck. Her midnight blue hooded dress fluttered as she walked, black lace closing the back. The dress was snug around her, comfortable but easy to move around in. She pulled at her wide sleeves, the low clicking of her boots echoing in the empty hallways. It was strange, the empty presence of the many servants and guards mostly gone. But then again many of them had been excused to go to the festival and thus allowing Aretha her chance.

She stepped to the guest door, knocking softly. “Mary, Mary! Come on! We have a long way to go and we can’t dawdle!”, she whisper through the heavy doors. At first nothing was heard on the other side of the doors, causing Aretha to worry that maybe Mary had abandoned her. But then with a small creek, Mary’s golden hair peaked from the darkened light of her room. Nervousness was etched over her face and she gripped the handle with such shaking force, Aretha thought she would break the handle. “Princess, I really don’t think we should do this. What if someone looks for you? It’ll bring an outright panic!”

Aretha chuckled, tempted to ruffle the girl’s head. “My Lady Mary, everyone is much too busy to deal with a sick princess. Either they drink in mirth or prepare for the next day in furious panic. So what reasons do I have to worry? We shall be fine and be back before anyone notices our disappearance.” Her lip twitched, mentally correcting herself. Hama knows, but no matter. This errand shall be done speedily. Taking hold of Mary’s wrist she pulled the girl by force out of the room. “Now why by Zoar would you even wear that?” Aretha glared at the bright color before her, sneering. The bright red blinded her and she clenched her fists in anger. How were they suppose to go unnoticed if she had a bright scarlet target clinging to her!?

Mary glanced down to her clothing, pulling at the skirt of her dress. “Why does it look bad? I thought it brought out the color of my eyes.” Aretha groaned, storming into Mary’s room and flinging open her closet. It took a while before she actually saw a dark colored cloak for Mary to wear. Pulling it out she threw it at Mary. “Put it on and don’t argue. We’ve wasted enough time already.” Mary wrinkled her nose and irritatedly put on the black cloak. “Why must you give me such a thing to wear? It’s so plain!”

“Exactly.”

Aretha turned away, walking down the darkened halls with Mary in tow. The blonde headed girl whined and grumbled, at times even stopped walking in a childish refusal. Aretha though could even become more impossible and miserable, and through some … unarguable words they left for the stables. Mary refused to step foot near the horses and waited outside, while Aretha saddled Calhoun. It was most certainly one of those times when she struggled with the straps and buckles, never really putting on such things since she rode bareback. Calhoun was none the most agreeable neither. He rounded on his mistress, snapping at her hands when she pulled on a leather strap too tight. She slapped her hand against his rear, a warning clearly stated. “Don’t you even dare, you fickle beast. This is as much uncomfortable for you as it is me.”

After continuous fumbling, Aretha managed to have the saddle in place. “Alright, Calhoun. Let’s go get our passenger, shall we?” She pulled herself up, sitting with both legs on the left side of her horse’s flank. She brushed off her skirts, a habitual habit enforced by her mother. Quietly, Calhoun trotted out of the musty stables, snorting in his excitement. Mary gulped when she saw the large beast, fear grasping her. “Y-Y-You expect to me to ride that!?”

“Unless you rather a rope being tied around your waist and I dragging you to the villages, then yes. I do.”

Aretha held out her hand, smiling snidely. Mary took it, untrusting of what Aretha had in store. The princess pulled Mary up into the saddle who squeaked grabbing onto Aretha’s arm. Calhoun's eyes rolled as he tried to buck off the stranger woman and he kicked and kicked until Aretha had calmed him down. As Mary positioned herself to be seated, she wrapped her hands around Aretha's waist, shaking. “Oh please, you’re not even gonna fall unless you let go. I’m much too good of a rider anyway.” Mary just mumbled softly, burying her face into her back. Aretha snapped the reins with an exasperated sigh and Calhoun with his two riders ran out of the sights of the castle.

Aretha shivered now being to feel the bitter cool night air. She had not realized how cold it was until the wind began to whip at her face. She glance over she shoulder, seeing that Mary was protected from the cold air, hidden behind her. Towering shadows of trees that stood like giants moved under the clashing hooves of Calhoun as the raced down the hills. Aretha only noticed that Mary was close to crying when she slowed her steed. Two paths laid in front of them, one that was commonly used and the other following deeper into the darkened wood of the forest. Aretha looked from left to right, calculating her next move. If she went to the left, there would be a greater chance of her being spotted but if she choose right, the greater the possibility of her becoming lost. “Choices, choices, choices. Which one should I make…” She twisted Calhoun's head to go for the right. She wasn’t about to be caught and forced back to the castle. If her parents found her out, undoubtedly she would be locked away from the world forever.

“Why must you take the path that is so overgrown!? It seems as if no one has used this for years!”

“10 years to be precise. This path was untraveled due to wolves that laid in wait for the farmers and shepherds who took the livestock to graze. Soon they turned on people who walked up here when no more animals were allowed to feed on the grasses.” Mary choked out a sob at Aretha’s words. “Don’t worry, most of the wolves have already followed the deer and elk elsewhere. Only loners wander now.” Calhoun jumped over fallen logs and strayed from boulders that blocked their way. The sun’s light had already died away with the rising of the moons glory and all animals awake during the day had found homes to rest. It was now the time for the nocturnal to stretch aching limbs and stride off into the dim light given.

But the still silence made Aretha stiff in alertness. She was used to the sounds of the birds in the trees, horses nickering to one another in deep conversation, and the passing dog that barked in greeting. The silence now prevented before her was something to be feared but she dare not speak in case of anything unwanted animals following. The only things she could recognize as noise was the labored breaths of Mary and Calhoun’s snorts. She puffed out a breath of her own, making sure she was still breathing.

“Aretha, can’t we go back? Please? I don’t like being out here alone.”

“You’re not alone. You have me and my horse. Shush now. I don’t want any disturbances when I need to listen to what could come.”

Mary lowered her voice to what seemed to be a pray as she whispered. In the meantime, Aretha’s mind wondered. The mountain the castle was settled upon was a strange and peculiar one. The mountain had been laid off in steps basically. The bottom of the mount was grasslands, used by the farmers to grow crops. The earth was soft and fertile, golden plains to be seen for miles upon miles. On top of that was a wet and humid, like a rainforest. Many of the creatures that lived there were avoided and any people who went through there hurried through in attempt to escape the unknown wonders. She had heard many legends of the place and it intrigued her to no end. Where the group was now was in the forest, many tall trees had grown here, most used for timber. The forest had grown many flowers and beautiful plants that were common and sought for to sell. The castle itself sat on one of the few overcasting peaks, while the wood below held waterfalls and soft grasses to lay on. And finally overhead was the winter bitten peak of the mountain. No one ever went up there unless asking for death. The slopes where dangerous and slippery, with too many caverns for one to fall into. Not many people knew what was exactly up there but to Aretha she did wonder at times.

But at that moment they were nearing the last of the forest. She began to hear screeching of passing animals and low coos from those in the trees. The air was becoming humid, warming her slightly. She looked behind of her and saw that the castle was no longer in view but neither was the villages below. The trees were too thick to see through and all of them were clumped together in heavy masses.

Suddenly, Calhoun reared in start nearly throwing the unsuspecting girls from his back. Mary screamed rattling Aretha to the bone as she hissed. “What in the name of Zoar is that!?” Two large, red eyes glowed in the midst of the early night, blinking slowly. A over grown beast with six limbs crawled into sight. It’s legs where scaled in a dark green while the white fur on it’s body shook, throwing out small leave and twigs. It yawns opening it gaping mouth, which surprisingly held blunt teeth and strolled off without much interest of the intruders. Aretha and Mary were frozen, eyes following the beats until it once more disappeared.

“What the hell was that?”, Aretha cursed causing Mary to be brought forth in shock.

“Princess! Your language! I do not know of that beasts name nor do I wish to know.”

“... I live with a large amount of brothers and men. Cursing is not unheard of.”

Aretha snapped the reins, rushing Calhoun forward. She didn't want to remain in this place in the dark with who knows what monstrosities. They were very lucky just to fall upon one of the less dangerous beasts. Mary kept on clinging tighter and tighter to ARthea as she pushed Calhoun to his limits as they ran forth. The steeds breath came in heavy puff, the humidity of the air mixing with his own. It seemed as if hours had passed of them twisting and turned all around until the finally made it out. They were greeted by the welcoming sight of large corn crops and the distant lights of the village below.

“Thank Zoar, we are finally here.” Mary relaxed, shoulders slacking in the tightness they once held. Aretha herself was glad, but kept her inner thoughts to herself. As they rode, she could hear the faint sounds of music and laughter. Excitement bubbled in her and oh, how she wished she could make Calhoun go faster! But the poor thing was already tired and in need of rest, so they moved on a slow and easy pace.

“Mary tell me of the village? How big is it? What kind of shops can be seen? Who should you buy from and not buy from? Can I-” She was cut off when Mary slapped her across her head. Aretha felt the throbbing pain, rubbing the sore spot in shock. No one ever dare lay a finger on her and this was the first. She didn’t know what to say or how to react, but Mary knew exactly what to do.

“You boneheaded girl! I have been traumatized this whole ride, being bumped this way and that! My mind is scattered and I feel as if I could drop dead to the ground at any moment. And then you bombard me with your questions! For the sake of everything good in this world, you could drive any sane person mad!”

Aretha coughed, holding her chest. Her shoulders shook and Mary patted her back, suddenly worried. “A-Aretha..I’m ...I’m sorry. I didn't mean to upset you so..” But Mary leaned back in surprise when Aretha burst into a fit of laughter. “Mary! I swear that is the most intelligent thing you have ever said to me in all the time we have met! My wit must be rubbing off on you somehow!” Mary was confused and then angered by the princess’s outright insult to her intelligence. But Mary knew she was ditsy so she could not argue. Instead she pouted paying no mind to Aretha. The princess tried to make Mary speak again, hoping to rile her up but she could not get a response. The nagging continued for a whole hour until the made it into the village.

Once jumping off, Aretha left Mary clinging to the side of a building, legs wobbly from the long ride. “I’ll be back as soon as I place Calhoun with a trustworthy farmer.” Mary didn’t seem to be listening as she slide to the ground groaning. Areth walked past numerous homes, until she stopped at a worn down home. The wood was rotting away due to the wether it had to endure over the years. As she moved up the steps she realized how much the wood creaked, threatening to give way under too much pressure and the windows of the home had a dirty and tinged color to them. She knocked twice, firm but gentle. At first no one answered and she took it as that no one was there or even the house was abandoned. She was prepared to walk away when the door of the home opened. She turned rouch to see a haggard middle aged woman, with two girls clinging to her skirts and a small child in her arms. “I’mma sorry miss, but we don’ have anything to give.”

Aretha automatically smiled and shook her head. “Madam I don’t come to you in search of being given anything. I come to give to you.” She waved a hand towards her horse and continued. “I am ...Aris. I am new to the village and had hoped to take it upon myself and explore. But I fear I can’t bring my horse with me or else that would be too cumbersome for myself and the crowds. I had hoped you could take care of him, with pay of course.” She was about to say more when atrocious sound of a mans voice echoed. The woman looked around into the home, a trouble look glazing her features. She had pressed her hand to close the door when a young man, yanked open the door. Aretha now stood staring at a male that seemed about six years her elder. His black hair was a wild mess and eyes a pale blue, that flared with a unknown anger.

“Henrich! Let the girl be! She ain’t doin’ us no harm!”

Aretha kept her glare, a silent face off between her and the male. He growled out a low tone and bit out a reply. “Why do you want?” Aretha thought before that he was the woman’s husband but saw that he was too young. “I was speaking to your mother of taking care of my horse while I am in the town. I am here on business and would rather not be dragging around my steed.”

Henrich looked over Aretha’s head to where Calhoun nickered an angry response to the mentioning of himself and Henrich sneered. “How much are yah payin’?” Aretha was taken aback by the brightness of his teeth and she noted he was very handsome but something about him reeked danger. She narrowed her eyes, irritated by his boldness. “I was about to tell your mother before you interrupted me, boy.” Henrich snarled certainly not pleased by the infurer term but his mother nudged him out of the way before he did something reckless. Aretha immediately settled. “I will pay seven tola in return of his well being and when I return I will again pay you seven more.” She reached into her cloak, plucking out seven gold coins. She reached out and gently placed the coins into the woman’s hands. The old mother shook, unable to come to terms of what was happening. She finally looked to Aretha tears pouring from her eyes. “Thank you so much miss. Ever since my husband died years back, we have had difficulty making ends meet. Henrich here has been trying so hard to work and fend for the family. Thank you, miss. Thank you.”

Aretha was a bit overwhelmed by the woman’s tears and looked to the ground out of embarrassment. “Well ..I… Um. Just make sure Calhoun is tied up well. He has a tendency to run off if given a chance.” She waved to the woman and her family and walked back to where Mary had still fallen. But what she didn’t notice was Henrich’s stare that followed her until she was out of sight.

“Mary, get up. Stop playing around. I want to see the sites and get what I’ve come for.” Aretha tapped the toe of her boot against May’s shoulders. The girl was pretending to have fainted and grumbled as Aretha poked her. “I refuse to move from here. Just let me die so that every piece of dirt can just crawl onto my clothing.” Aretha bent down and looked at Mary with an unamused frown. “Dirt doesn’t crawl. Bugs crawl. Spiders crawl. But not dirt.” Mary flew up from the ground so quick you would have sworn her dress had caught flames. She brushed at her skirt, crying in loud voice. “Oh hush. There’s not a thing on you. Now lets go.” Aretha grabbed Mary’s arm and dragged the girl into the bright light of the town.

Music carried through the air, a magical note to every tune played. Banners of dragon’s flew high in the night winds. Venders and attention seekers screamed out into the crowd and children, though late as it was, scampered to and fro dodging the adults feet, their laughter ringing like little chimes. Aretha’s eyes widened as she peered at everything and everyone. Woman danced with merry men who laughed and flirted without a care, blushing so lightly. Their steps reminded her of fairies in which her mother would in storybooks as a child. Aretha ran up to the edge of the circle of the crowd Mary chasing after her. “Hey! You just can’t run off like that!” But Aretha could not care much less heed the warning. She gazed in a childlike wonder, jumping excitedly as one couple danced very close to her. The woman was thrown back, hair falling to the ground while her partner looked up and winked at Aretha.

Mary glanced to her friend, peering under her hood to find Aretha giggling like a infatuated woman. It was then Mary saw how what she looked like when a man flirted with her. Mary pulled Aretha away quickly and turned her around to face her. “Did you not see how well they danced? It’s quite different from how we dance at home! It’s much more wild and held a fire like passion! Do you think I could learn how to dance like that?”

“No.”

Mary shook her head, having a rare chance to be stern. “Aretha. This is no place for a princess. You know nothing of the world or what people would or could do to you if they ever found out who you were. You were protected for a reason and now that you are here I suggest you take your quick look and we leave immediately”, she murmured under her breath so only Aretha could hear.

“But-”

“No buts! If you get hurt I will be blamed because I have been here before! Now tell me why we are even here so that we can leave!”

Aretha sighed, chest heaving sadly. “I am here to go to a shop called Ivy Green Inn. I have some thing I wanted to buy from there and I needed someone to help me along the way.” Mary closed her eyes, brows furrowed in thought. She had heard of the place but never had been there herself. “I know in which part of the village it’s in but I know not of where exactly it is. But I’m sure we can find it. Now make sure your hood covers your face, I don’t need to hear any of the maids from the castle recognizing you.” Mary started down the busy streets and Aretha followed oohing along the way.

Their boots clicked against the brick road, being shoved and pushed by so many people who had their own destinations to find. Aretha had stopped to admire a snake charmer, who soothed a a long fanged snake with golden swirls along it back out of a basket. The reptile spat venom at the watchers and coiled itself around the charmers hand. Unfortunately, Aretha was pulled away by Mary before she could see what happened next. Aretha being stubborn and upset that she couldn’t see everything. dug her heels into the ground literally forcing Mary to yank her forward.

“Are-! …. Tell me what to call you.”

“Aris.”

“Well, Aris stop being a stubborn mule! We are almost there!”

“But I came here to see- Oh! Oh!”

Aretha pointed excitedly to where a man with no shirt held a torched. He smiled toothily and waved people over to watch. Satisfied with the number of people that stopped, he twirled the touch in his hand, throwing it up numerous times into the air. Catching it, he suck in a breath also dragging in the fire. Aretha gasped, wondering if it burned his mouth. But he then blew it out a tremendous flame and people ducked to protected their heads.

“Did you see that!? Do you think he’s a dragon!? That doesn’t even make sense! It should have burned him but it didn’t! That’s logically impossible!”

Mary rubbed her temples, not understanding the princess’s innocence. But then again she was never introduced to such things during her life. She had always been studying with her siblings and practising how to be a nobel. Very dull and boring. “Aris. I can’t explain it. But we should now go.” Aretha nodded, looking back to the man who breathed fire, smiling.

Mary and Aretha went further down into the village, each step moving them into dimmed light. The loud venders had faded along with the smiling people and joyful music. It seemed all so different. The brick roads became dirt filled with mud and debris, men eerily standing to the sides, keeping a hawk lowered eye on the women as they passed. Areth who was always so brave felt as small as a mouse and kept close to her guild. Mary looked to know this part of town well, ducking and moving away from places that held a foreboding taste to them. She looked over to Aretha, whose head was lowered and body hidden from sight. She almost looked like a death bringer until she looked up and Mary saw the familiar friendly, warmth of brown eyes. She gave a helpful smile but Aretha did not return it.

“Scared?” Mary asked aloud.

Something in her tone made Aretha’s head glance up sharply.
Mary shook her head smiling. “No. I won’t say anymore lest you become angry with me for mistaken words.” Mary’s eyes wandered the titles of the darkened stores and paused a moment when she came to a tavern. And low and behold Ivy Green Inn was right beside it. “i never noticed that there before”, she muttered to herself. There was light flickering in the windows was a telltale sign that someone was in. Mary tilted her head for Aretha to go see. “I’m going to be in the tavern so take your time.” Aretha nodded without a word and walked to the small ship. It was colored green, paint chipping off the wood and black lettering flowed on it’s side. She pushed on the door and it opened with a squeak.

A soft fragrance hit her at full force, a gentle scent of green herbs and exotic woods of amber tickled her nose. She looked around the small shop, pulling down her hood. Shelves filled with dried herbs hung high and shelved goods lined in neat rows. She walked through the shop, brushing her hand against some odd jewelry. She pulled back her hand startled, they felt hot!

“Greetings.”

Aretha spun around clutching her cloak above her heart. A wrinkled old woman was hidden behind the counter, watching the princess ever since she stepped in. The old woman had wild hair, completely gray with thin white streaks and her face wrinkled like a prune. As she walked to the wooden counter she saw that the woman wore only black but with a blue sash around her waist. And tied to the sash was little bells that jingle every time she moved. But what caught Aretha off guard even more was the white pupils of the woman's eyes. She hesitated but boldly waved her hand in front of the woman’s face. The old maiden never moved nor seemed to notice Aretha’s movement.

“H-Hello… I um. Are you blind?”

The woman tilted her head, digging into her ear with her pinky. “Ney. What you think is blind is merely physical. I may not see your face Princess Aretha but I know you by your spirit.”

Aretha took a step back, sucking in a sharp breath through her teeth. “How do you know who I am?”

The old woman, smiled flicking the yellow gunk from her finger. “Deary, I just said I know you by your spirit. I also know you look for three things. Three things I do have but may or may not give to you. I also know that one of these things you plan to use to play a trick, a trick on someone dear but strange to you.”

Aretha wanted to be angry but she couldn’t find it in her. She was more amazed that the woman before her could see into the future. “Are you a witch?”

“No deary, just a simply collector. You may call me Grandma Eden.”
Aretha rose a brow, not even wanting to say the word. It was foreign and new to her mouth and it felt wrong to call someone grandma who wasn’t well...grandma.

“Well… Grandma Eden. You say you know what I have come here for but I will repeat what is already known. I want the Book of Spell Casters. Also known as The Warden’s Mugic. A friend of mine is in need of it and told me this was where I could find it. I also want the Raven’s Bronze. The third thing...I don’t know what it is…”

Grandma Eden smiled a nearly toothless smile, only one single tooth dangled and wobbled. “Girl, I can give you two of those things. But I can’t give you either until you decide the third.” Aretha huffed, and glanced around the store. I’ll simply get anything and be on my way. The crazy old toad is trying to make me go on some treasure hunt I have no time for.
Aretha once more walked around the shop, not finding anything of interest. She was about to give up when she spotted a doll. It was a small doll, small to fit into her pocket without being noticed. But even though it was simply made with a plain brown dress and a soft stuffed body, the button eyes seemed to be more intelligent than she would find normal. She rubbed a finger against the doll's head, it’s raven hair soft as silk itself.

This is ridiculous. Why should I want a doll? I had plenty of dolls when I was small and I hated every one of them. So why should this lifeless thing of string be any different?

But Aretha still picked it up and walked back to where Grandma Eden sat. She placed the doll into the blind woman’s old hands, finding it difficult to speak. “I want this.” Grandma Eden smiled, but it was a smile tainted by a secret. A secret Aretha couldn’t place.

“That’ll be fifteen tola, Your Highness.”

Aretha placed the money down, her eye twitching at the smug note in the woman’s voice. She watched as Grandma Eden went into the back of the shop room and closed the door behind her. Aretha tapped her foot, impatient to leave the miserably cheeky woman and her shop. Ready to jump over the counter and open the closed door, but Grandma Eden beat her too it. The old woman popped the book and necklace into Aretha’s opened hands.

“It’s been a pleasure doing business with you, Princess. And make sure you don’t get yourself into trouble. Who knows what dragons do when they get angry? But oh, you should know.”

Aretha eyed the old woman, wondering what she meant. “You speak in riddles, what do you hide?” Grandma Eden’s white eyes sparkled in mischief and she looked at her chipped nails as if she could see them. “Well, it seems your dragon had gotten a bit angry and the proof shows. Lord Lucas now rots near the old road and not even the scavengers dare pick at his flesh. It seems that her bore a mark made by your dragon and the people sought to kill him. Seems the exceeded, huh?” Grandma Eden glanced up to Aretha, smirking. “But it looks by your silence that you didn’t know and I can feel your fury. Angry at your dear dragon? He was only protecting you and so many others. But poor Lady Mary… the few children of her father.”

“Goodbye, Grandma Eden.”

Aretha stepped out of the shop before she could hear more, pulling her hood over her head. She clenched her fists in anger, looking to the tavern in front of her. How could he do that!? Of all people to mess with you choose one of the most feared man’s son in Ethleburg. Of all men! And how will I tell Mary?... The poor girl indeed.

She sucked in a cold breath, the freezing air cooling her lungs that raged in a burning fire. She walked to the tavern and was about to open the door when Mary slumped out with a man, holding her side. “Oh! Aret-...No! Aris! How good it is to see you! L-Loook at this lovely man I found! He is just so.. umm...what’s the word...Uhh.” The large male chuckled and grabbed at Mary’s waist and seemed to be eating her face. Aretha blenched and grabbed her friend's hand pulling her out of reach. “Oh look at the time, mother will be so upset that we’ve been out so late! Dear sir, we must leave! Goodbye!”

And with that Aretha ran with her stumbling Mary blocking out the man’s words of curses sent towards Aretha. They ran until they finally made it back to the town but the thickness of the people began to disperse. “What where you thinking? You’re drunk and nearly gave yourself away to that...that..brute!” Aretha steamed in anger, pushing through the people who continued to stare at her as if had gone mad. “I mean of all irresponsible things to do!”

“Sorry….” Mary leaned against Aretha’s back, face blushed. “I wasn’t really drunk, I’m close. But I wish I was so drunk I forgot about myself for a moment..” She sighed and stood on her own. “I’m sorry I made you worry. I’m not drunk and I just simply wanted to release some stress.” Mary then moved to the front, walking away from Aretha. That damned girl! She just walks away as if it’s nothing! Nothing at all! Aretha stopped dead in her track, pulling on her hair in aggravation. But she shivered and turned around. It felt as if she was being watched. She scanned the crowd looking for someone she recognized, but everything was new to her.

She ran after Mary still unable to shake of the feeling that someone was following her. Panic was growing and she ran blindly, trying to get away. She fell back when bouncing off a broad males chest. She fell to the ground in a daze when a deep voice made her look up.

“Hey there snapper. Long time no see.”

She looked up being met by the same man in whom had written her the letter. “Godric! My the gods I never even recognize you.” The brown hair man shrugged, grasping Aretha by her hand and pulling her up. His light green eyes twinkled in delight and he wrapped her in a huge. She choked, breathing becoming impossible in his tight strength. “S-Stop! I’m suffocating!” Godric let go of her and she fell to her feet, gasping for air. “Hm. You’ve gotten pretty weak since last time I saw you. I remember you were able to wrestle me to the ground in a couple seconds flat.”

“If you also remember, you were a skinny stick with no strength that cried out for your mother to save you at any given moment.”

Godric pounded his chest as if he had been shot and his face twisted in pain. “My dear girl, you wound me!” But his pained face grew into a wide smirk as he stepped closer to her. “But if my memory doesn’t fail me you too were a stick, but now let’s have a look at you.” His hand flashed out a grabbed Aretha’s cloak lifting it up but carefully done as he hood would not fall back and reveal her identity. Godric gave a low and impressed whistle and dropped the cloth back into place. “Seems you’ve filled out in all the right places beautifully. Mind if I have a closer peek?”

“Godric Ewart, I should have you hanged for even speaking to me so! I am surrounded by barbaric people who think of only how to fulfil their own desires! Touch me again and I swear that same hand will be chewed and fought over very the dogs of these very streets!” She pointed an accusing finger at him, huffing and puffing in anger.
Godric lifted his head and laughed at her, gasping. “You haven’t changed at all, you demanding brat! Always expecting people to turn head over hell for you.”

“Godric… are you flirting with yet another girl?”

Godric froze, fear flooding his face as he quickly turned his back to Aretha how gaped at the outright disrespect. She looked around him, ready to curse whoever disturbed the discussion when she realized it was a woman who spoke. She was honestly quite plain, with a simplicity that radiated off of her. But she held herself with a regal and high disposition and a stern stare that would make any sensible person shut their mouth.

“T-Tivia.. I uh..No. No I wasn't flirting. Simply talking.”

“He speaks lies. He was flirting and even tried to lift my skirts in the process.”

Aretha gave Godric a smug smile as he gave her a look of death. Tivia stormed over to Godric and pulled on his ear, angrily. “You are suppose to be marrying me in the next year and you. Flirt. With. Every. Damn. Girl. You. SEE. Have you no shame you good for nothing pervert!?” Godric winced, losing his eyes as the woman screeched. Aretha on the other hand felt the need to applaud herself. Sure she had exaggerated a bit but it was well worth it.

“Tivia, please. This is a childhood friend of mine, I meant no harm. Please, woman tell her the truth!” Aretha shrugged and smiled slyly. “I don’t know what ever you mean, dear sir. I’ve never seen you before in life until now.” Godric growled and Aretha held her hands in surrender. Godric seeing she would do nothing, leaned over to his furious fiance to whisper in her ear. Her black eyes widened and she looked around before walking to Aretha and taking her hand. She placed a kiss on the young woman’s knuckles which made Aretha all the more confused. “Your Majesty, I apologize for Godric’s stupidity. You see it seems he was thrown against a rock as a child.” Aretha immediately took a liking to this woman.

“Did he tell you I was the one who threw him?”

“Ah, no wonder he makes it a point to harass you then.”

“Indeed.”

Godric rolled his eyes, before breaking them up. “Aretha, who brought you here? You shouldn’t have even stepped foot on this soil much less seen the festival.” Aretha looked to him offended. “And to think I came all this way to get your book and this is the thanks I get? And for your information, Mary brought me here.”

“Mary? You mean dimwitted Mary?”

“The one and the same.”

“HAH. How is the young lass?”

“Clueless as ever.”

“Figures and also. I was gonna get the book myself. After all, it took you three month just to get his one!”

“Three months!? I only got the letter today you dense fool! Whatever messenger you chose to give me the letter must have gotten lost on the way here! You know what…. forget it. The book stays with me.”

“What!? I need to know some of those spells! Give them here!”
Aretha spun heel, head held high. “No, sorcerer. Go get your own book and find someone else who can stand you.” Godric opened his mouth and closed it, ready to tackle the girl if he had to but Tivia gave him a warning glance. “...Whatever. Let’s go find Mary.”

“What do you mean let’s go find her? She’s waiting over there by the wall.”

“I didn’t see her there.”

“Is sight leaving you just as your brain did, dear Godric.”

Godric groaned and marched over to Mary, who waited for the group to come. “Took you long enough. Godric, you filthy rat.” Mary never had been friends with Godric, who as children used to tease her for her stupidity. But now she seemed all the more ready to singe him in fire as she glared. Godric simply smiled and took the arm of his betrothed. “Ladies, it’s past high moon. I believe it’s time for your to go home.”

Mary and Aretha looked to each other and both sighed. Such a prude. The foursome began walking down the street, Godric doing most of the talking as he spoke of his adventures and how he met Tivia, who blushed bashfully as he spoke. Mary once or twice tried to be smart, but Godric beat her too it. Aretha gave her a smile as she patted the depressed girl. The crowds began to thicken once more, now as people rushed to get home. The festival was ending and the tired and drunk needed rest. Aretha shivered, the feeling of being watched coming upon her. She still looked around, uncomfortable with the sensation.

She tried to brush it off but couldn’t and when she looked to see where her friends were, they were gone. She jumped looking over the crowds to see them and spotted Godric's tall form only a few spaces in front of her. She tried to push herself through but was unable.

Then a hand grabbed her and pulled her away.

She struggled but the movement was so quick she didn’t realize what happened until she found herself pushed up against a wall, in a dark alley way. She was about to scream however a piece of cloth was put over her mouth and she choked, breathing in a strange power. She looked down to her kidnapper, who had put his knee between her legs so he could have a better place to hold her. Pale blue eyes met her brown ones and she suddenly knew who it was.

Blackard.

Lucas’s older brother had pinned her against a wall, one rough hand trapping her two over her head as his other kept the cloth firmly over her mouth and nose. She fought, wriggling and struggling, but what was odd was that she was growing dizzy and weak. Any strength in which she had was disappearing quickly and the world began to spin.

“Princess, it’s nice seeing you again.” He spoke heavily, his words slurred but clear. Finding that Aretha could no longer fight, he removed the offending cloth from her and moved his face closer to her. “Seems the viper can’t strike like before now can she?” Aretha growled, but it sounded more like a pathetic whimper. She could barely think, everything spinning wildly. She never knew that Blackard was in the town, nor was he even here. Neither Lucas or Mary had spoken of it. She thought back to when she rejected him, in front of his friends and family. He was worse than Lucas. While Lucas was just a complete maggot who crawled into anyone’s skirts Blackard was a devious man who got whatever he wanted.

And on that day he didn’t get what he wanted.

He had come to court Aretha, the second oldest daughter to the King and Queen. Af first she had liked him. He had shown himself to be a kind and smart man, in which Aretha took all delight in. But as the months passed, his true colors began to show. He started becoming more demanding of Aretha's time and energy. He once even tried to force himself on her which is why she ended it. The day he proposed she humiliated him in front of the court. He never returned.

Until now.

He let go of her arms, which fell weakly to her side. She couldn’t move. She wanted to scream. She wanted to run. But nothing would work. She was paralyzed. Blackard grinned a perfect smile, placing one of his hands to grip Aretha’s waist. “Princess, you wouldn’t believe what I found today. Can you guess? Can you?” He was mocking her, pretending that she actually could talk or speak. “I guess not. I found my brother’s body today. Now at first I didn't realize it was my brother. It was so deformed and mangled, I thought of it some animal. But then I saw the clothing and his little blood ridden face and I thought to myself; This is Lucas.” He brushed back the straying strands of golden brown hair from her face, smiling lightly. The touch was so light, so loving it made he want to sink into a puddle. This was how he worked, charm and all.

“It saved me the trouble, honestly. I had come here to kill him myself. You see while I was away doing business for my father, it seemed that the bastard got the brilliant idea to go marry the same girl that rejected me. Out of spite. He thought it would be an amazing way to gain revenge. Marrying the woman I still love but it seemed that little plan backfired, doesn’t it?”

Blackard leaned towards her, brushing his cheek against hers. The one hand that had brushed away her hair, now moved to shred her cloak from her body. With a sickening rip, it fluttered to the ground and she felt tears build in her. No, No! This wasn’t suppose to happen! he isn't suppose to be here! Warm lips pressed against her neck, licking and kissing the soft skin. Both hands now gripped her waist as he pressed himself closer to her warmth. His breathing was uneven and smelled of liquor, but he was fully knowledgeable of what he was doing.

He had tried to kiss her but she turned her face away in time, using whatever little strength she had. She had grown fully limp as he bit and marked her, hot tears rolling down her face as she groaned. And make sure you don’t get yourself into trouble. Who knows what dragons do when they get angry? Those words echoed in her head, realization falling. The old woman had known. She knew that this would happen. She cried a out in a desperate sob, cold blue eyes looking up at her. “You really should just stop fighting it. You were meant to marry me and no one else. And I’ll make sure you understand that, even if it kills you.”

All of a sudden, Aretha was being held not by Blackard but by Godric. Blackard was on the dirty ground passed out with a red mark of a fist on his face. Godric was breathing heavily and his body shook in a god forbidden anger. “You filthy piece of shit…” He cradled her in his arms, seemingly ready to step on the man’s neck and snap it in two but Mary cried out behind him.

“Blackard! Blackard! What have you done!?” Tivia was holding Mary up from falling as the girl cried in pain. “Godric, this is not the time. We have to get Aretha back to the castle. Now!” Godric looked down at the broken male and spat on him. He had taken off his coat, covering Aretha’s face with it as they hurried down the street. People yelled at them as the pushed and shoved, finally making it to the entrance of the village.

“Tivia get our horse. You’re gonna have to ride with Mary and I with Aretha. Now Mary how did you two get here?” Mary shook her head sobbing hysterically. Godric flew into a rage, face turning red in his anger. “Goddamnit Mary! Spit it out! Aretha could be in danger of dying while you cry for an mongrel of a brother!” Mary once more shook her head, “I- I don’t k-know where she put h-him. She left me when finding a p-place.” Godric clenched his teeth, looking around desperately and spotted a young man walking down the dirt path. “You! You there! Did you happen to see a someone come through her with a horse a couple hours back?” The older gentleman was thoughtful for a moment before nodding. “Sure did. Walked that stallion right over to the Smith’s house, right do-”

Godric didn’t even wait to hear the last bit and dashed off with Aretha in his arms. He spotted Calhoun and rushed over to the stallion. The horse reared, neighing in surprise and a child yelled in the distance. “Ma’Ma! Someone is trying to steal Aris’s horse! Henrich stormed out of the horse, ready to fight off the intruder. “What the hell do you think you’re doin’? GET AWAY FROM THAT HORSE!” Godric swerved around towering over the boy. “You see this girl I’m holding. This same girl is the one who owns this horse. This same girl is the one who just got attacked. this same girl may or may not die if we don’t get her back home. Now you WILL let me untie this horse. And you WILL let me take her home. Do you understand?”

Henrich looked doubtful and tore the coat from Aretha’s face. He gasped, taking a step back. “T-That’s the queen!” Godric barely paid attention to the boy as he jumped onto Calhoun. “No, it’s the queen’s daughter. He dug his heels into the horse’s side and rose off to where Tivia and Mary already sat on their own steed. Aretha was scarcely awake through all of this and finally she passed into darkness.

When Aretha awoke, her mind was still fuzzy and she groaned in pain. She tried to sit up only to fall back, in agony. “Woah there. You’re still getting used to being drugged there snapper.” Godric’s voice made her look over to where it came from and when her eyes cleared she saw that she was in her room. “What happened? I feel as if a stampede of cattle trampled me.” Her throat was dry and her voice cracked under the pressure of speaking.

“You were drugged by an flower called Birtius. The plant itself is banned to be grown in homes and gardens and wild growing flowers are to be uprooted and burned. This decree was passed a long time ago when it was used as an herb to help people with headaches. But someone saw that too much Birtius could either paralyze a man or kill him. When people were found who went missing with traces of the power on their being, the king banned the use of it.” Tivia placed her hand against Aretha’s forehead, feeling her temperature. “You’re going to feel weird for the next couple of hours. Moody and cold for the most part. It should be gone by tomorrow.”

Godric smiled, nodding. “You’re lucky that you didn’t breathe in too much. It could have killed you.”

“So I have been told, but thanks for reminding me.” Aretha looked to her side, sinking into the sheets of her bed. The sun was beginning to rise. “How long have you been in my room?” Tivia stood stretching, lack of sleep evident. “Ever since we came back. Mary went to her room, the girl was traumatized and passed out due the the stress. And you stayed in a dead sleep until now. Godric made sure the horses were put back to their stables and snuck you back in unnoticed.”

Aretha blinked and gave a weak smile to Godric. “Aw, you do care.”

The large man shrugged, “Only a little bit.”

Tivia turned back to Aretha, grinning broadly. “You should be grateful. Not many girls actually are able to be feel Godric’s arms to hold them, especially since everything he is is mine. You’re one of those few lucky girls.”

Aretha groaned, grabbing a pillow to throw at the woman but it only made it as far as the side of the bed. “Oh shut up. I’ll have to scrub my skin for weeks now”, she joked. Godric walked out of the room grumbling about how girls take advantage of everyone and everything while Tivia just smiled. When Godric left the room, she look down to Aretha sternly. “Will you explain?”

“No. I only ask that you do not speak of this to anyone. The matter is not to be known and I rather keep it too myself. The last thing we need is civil war among our people just because a man could not keep his urges to himself.” Tivia looked grave but respected Aretha's orders. She left the room, bidding the princess a good rest.

After she left, Aretha rolled over and cried, pulling herself back to sleep with her angered sobs while the sun’s bright light shined in glory over the land. Another dawn and another start.

And make sure you don’t get yourself into trouble. Who knows what dragons do when they get angry?

Hama's eyes snapped open and he found himself at the ledge's sheerest fall his robes already fallen back but then something in him, something deep, something immense spoke to him.

He slowly pulled his body back in upon itself, his tails becoming his hair and his scales slowly becoming soft skin. He flexed his hands and hissed. "Blackard...I shall have to end the family entire should they continue. It would be early but just...The girl can live....bear many children."

A secret Grandma Eden could have told Aretha about Dragons is that they could see the birth and death of bloodlines. Not as a physical thing but more like his knowledge of Aretha. It simply was. Like animals and many of the other races they could sense Death oncoming, especially if they were to be the instrument, but their connection served to give them a broader scope of just who Death would be taking.

Lucas and his family had been a danger and a trouble for years. Now they were causing even more. But he restrained his rage,he had to, he knew that voice. The White-Eyes was old. Far older than she even seemed. Hama had seen and met her many times and though they had a great deal of mutual respect for one another there would never be trust. "Xir Nu Graenfr Tipa White-Eyes."

Far below Grandma Eden smiled and spoke into the Winds of Time and Magic just as he had. "Re Cas Fin Three-tails."

He nodded and withdrew. He would deal with Blackard later. The Winds had told him much and the White-Eyes, like always, had denied nothing.

He went back into the Embassy, carefully not waking his brethren, and then after touching both eyes in the door and asking for a favor, he walked out of his lair.

Invisibility is impossible. Well save for a few immensely powerful sorcerers and even they do not truly need it. There is dimness, and various other arts of magic that allow a being to go unnoticed. Xander could not use these. His own compacting of his true form into this small body prevented it. But he could ask a favor of the Eyes who could work through the Winds.

As he left the Embassy, court was in session. Agatha was speaking to a man who had also found Lucas' body. She was not concerned and was pleased that the man had burned the corpse fearing plague. As she discussed the matter, and the small disturbance during the festival she felt a tickle at her neck and turned toward the Embassy door. it was closed. But she swore she had felt or seen it open. She searched the crowd but did not see Hama. How could she miss him? He was so large.

She would never know but her eyes had slid right over him. The Eyes were not stopping her from seeing him just from recognizing him, as it was all the others. He listened for a time and deduced that the White-Eyes had done him a favor. When Aretha had been recognized the White-Eyes had sent out similar rumors of a Dragon, the King himself, and several others at other parts of the festival to protect Aretha. You still owe me much old crow.

She snickered in his mind. Perhaps big lizard. But perhaps I have done you more a service than you know? Why did you not tell her?

He was moving out of the throneroom now his hood and the Eyes keeping him unseen even by the guards. Because I had not the time. Pester me no more. I will fulfill your bargain with Tresdain as promised. But not until the proper time.

She cackled now. Hama Three-Tails the great and unstoppable warrior is in love. And he thinks Grandma Eden, she known as the White-Eyes will resist such fun? Has he forgotten?

He snarled and was pleased that she recoiled. I forget nothing old bat. And should harm befall Aretha I shall not forget that it was you she came to and what you gave her.

She did not answer for a time. I gave her nothing. She bought. I sold.

And make sure you don’t get yourself into trouble. Who knows what dragons do when they get angry? She recoiled again. Her mind is guarded Eden. By love. And her body, and soul are guard by fang, claw, and wing. Play your games as you will. I cannot stop you. But do not seek to harm her or her family. Not now. You have seen my anger. Do not draw a portion for yourself.

She sniffed. Dragons are so arrogant. Always assuming they know everything and cannot be killed. Dragons die too Hama Three-Tails. You better than anyone know just how skilled the Water-Demons are at killing your kind.

He smiled a smile so cold and so dark it made her hiss a protective charm. Perhaps old pink. But so do little humans no matter their magic. And true I do. But I also know whose names they fear the most. Imboden the Red. Freyr the Pink. Crti the White. Hama Three-Tails, He who Burns the Sands.

SPEAK NOT OF THE TWELVE!!

He smiled. I honor my kith and kin as ever dear lady. See that you do not falter in your duties. Now be silent. And take care. i would be cross to find you dead before your time.

She slowly smiled. Thank you big lizard. Sharp claws and hot fires.

Farewell White-Eyes. Long life and long mind.

The connection severed as he touched the door he had been searching for. Sighing he slipped inside.

He looked down at her for some time. Godric and Tivia were still there for now. He watched from the corner of the room but made no noise. They like Agatha turned as he moved to his hiding place thinking the door was open, and Godric thought he saw something, but the Eyes easily silenced his mind returning his attention to Aretha.

When they left and the poor girl was sobbing Hama lifted his hood breaking the protection. Hama moved forward and slipped onto the bed and before she could react slipped his arms around her protectively and spoke softly. "Oh my love. You have been so brave." his voice could only be his.

He prepared himself, knowing she might be angry, might lash, might throw him from her room. That did not matter. She needed him. She may not have known it but she did.

------

Kurtis was sitting in the garden with his grandparents, Nila and Patis both looking and feeling far better but not quite ready to resume the throne. Last night the new Elites had presented themselves under the command of Nila the Red and Nila had been able to speak with her namesake at length.

Now she was still marveling over the woman, who was standing in one of the many courtyards with her Elites.

"Astonishing."

Patis looked over at his wife then at the redhead she was studying. "How so my love?"

"To think I healed her and cannot even recall it?"

Patis shrugged. "Who knows my love. Perhaps you simply held the child and soothed her pain?"

She nodded thoughtfully biting her free hand's thumb. "Perhaps...but she was better afterwards. How could i do that?"

Kurtis spoke. "You're the Queen Gramma."

She looked at the child. "What's that dear?"

He looked away from his lute, the bridge had gotten crooked when one of his uncles had borrowed it last night, and smiled up at her making her smile as well. "You're the Queen. The gods placed the power of healing into the female line of Royalty. Didn't you know that?"

Patis raised an eyebrow. "How do you know about the Legend of Royals?"

Kurtis scoffed. "Granpa... I read about it."

"Where?"

"I dunno. But Queens can heal. They can do other stuff if they are the rulers too but they can always heal. used to be a lady couldn't be Queen unless she could heal the sick. But Gramma can. And so can Mommy."

"Who has your mother healed?"

"Aunty Gretchen."

"What happened to Gretchen?"

"When that bad Lucas guy hurt Aunty Gretchen got real sad. So she tried a bad thing. Made herself really sick. She might have even died. Mommy found her and touched her. She healed her up good."

Nila spoke softly. "How do you know this Kurtis?"

He shrugged stills struggling with his lute. "I dunno."

She licked her lips. "Can any of the other girls heal Kurtis?"

"Yep!!" He'd fixed the bridge.

"Which ones?"

"Dunno."

She fell back with a sigh. "At least two Queens in the family then..."

Patis bit his tongue then looked at his grandson. "Kurtis?"

The boy looked up a bit annoyed as he was going to play his lute. He loved playing his lute. He was still Kurtis though. "Yes Papa?"

Patis smiled. "Do you know what the Legend says about Kings?"

Kurtis nodded. "They bring blood. Also peace but no King in Ethlberg has ever failed to bring blood."

Patis nodded his face ashen. "yes. The curse of blood and the blessing of peace....Kurtis?"

"Yes Papa?" the boy was getting exasperated now. He wanted to play his lute, but he knew better than to say so. He'd get a switching. He hated switchings.

"Are any of the boys so cursed and blessed?"

"Nope!" He started playing his lute quickly.

Nila looked at her husband. "There will be no King...jut a Queen...of Dragons?"

Patis nodded. "If Aretha can heal..." He fell silent and they watched their grandson and though he played and sang beautifully, they were still too shaken to take much pleasure in it. Two Queens. No Kings. What did that mean for their family?

If Kurtis knew he wasn't saying, just playing happily.

In the Courtyard the Nila the Red was leading an exhibition of her forces in a fierce but careful mock battle for the delegates of the other nations. they were all impressed. these were fearsome warriors indeed.

Nila looked over at her namesake and the musicboy and smiled. Her Queen. The two Nila's shared a kinship that could never be broken. She wondered why the monarchs both looked so worried, but that was easy. The Rezda. Her targets. Everyone was worried about them. She looked at Kurtis and muttered. "Keep playing kid. Zoar knows we need it."

She turned and resumed the attack with savage war cry.

-------

In the Embassy the Dragons all slept on. But as the sun crested the horizon as one they turned and spoke a single willed thought into the Winds of Time and Magic. "Death to Blackard."

This would not kill him, but it would mark him and would begin to eat away at his plans, ruin his actions before they started, and make his thoughts slippery in his won mind, while destroying his protections one by one until his heart did indeed stop. The Dragons were often the instruments of fate in this way. They did not and never would know they had cast this magic. But the deed was done. For a moment the land of Fital knew peace.

For a moment.

Aretha stiffened when she felt the bed sink and strong arms warp around her, dragging her form closer. She thought that Blackard had come to finish what he started but she breathed a sigh of relief when she heard Hama's voice. Aretha didn't speak up, the warmth of his breath brushing against her neck. Her first intention when she returned was to demand his reasoning for killing a man but those plans where foiled after the later events. It was then she recalled what Blackard truly had done.

Instead of rolling over to face him, she raised her hands to cover her neck. Aretha faltered as if her own hands had burned her however that was not the case. The paralysis of the plant itself had numbed her completely and whatever bite marks Blackard had made, had sliced her skin. In returned she was rewarded with stinging wounds and black and blue bruising surrounding the cuts.

Aretha was ashamed even if the attack wasn't her fault. She had been touched, violated, and she considered herself dirty. Blackard twice had nearly made her become his by forced intentions and Aretha couldn't stand the fact. His scent still lingered on her when he had rubbed himself to her skin and clothing as she knew this all too well. She peeled his arms from around her waist, moving to the far side of the bed away from his reach.

"Don't touch me, please Hama. Just don't."

She couldn't look up at him, she simply couldn't. Fresh tears were beginning to fall and hurriedly she rushed to wipe them away. This movement gave the clear view of the marks. In such a quick time the marks had turned from red to a deformed blue, dried blood seen. It was like Blackard didn't even know what he was doing with himself and just outrightly did her harm for the enjoyment of it. She seemed haggard and drained, nearly falling back as she still wobbled from the affects of the herbs.

"You shouldn't even be in here, what if someone came in and saw you? They would jump to the worst of conclusions with the way I must look."

He sighed. "my love no one will see me."

He reached out and caught her hand. "im sorry that happened to you. But I will not hurt you...In fact."

He covered her hand with his own then closed his eyes and slowly, with a lot of itching, each of her wounds healed, even the bruises. "I've also healed Mary."

He then leaned in and sniffed and growled. "no." he closed his first two eyelids, the clear one and the thin almost see through one and pressed his lips into a kissing motion but before she could react a green line of some substance poured forth circling around her snaking around her body destroying Blackard scent and bringing back those lovely scents from the festival.

He then opened his eyes and sat on the edge of her bed and smiled. "Is that better? And tell me. What did you think of the White-Eyes? You called her Grandma Eden. And please don't show me what you got. It's not for me to see."

He smiled having released her hand letting her decide what to do. Her door was locked from the inside and it was still some hours before she needed to be up.

While he watched her he nodded as if deciding something. "Would you like to come along when we go get the royals? Be the first human to ride a Dragon in seven hundred and ninety six years? And the first of the Royal Family?" his smile was warm and he was clearly serious.

"And as to Lucas I did not kill him. i did mark him for death but that's because he is a babykiller. he murdered his own children, often with other men's wives."

Aretha blinked, rubbing her neck in surprise. Well, truthfully everything he does is a surprise. Brown orbs flicked over to him, clearly bewildered that he had already jumped to the conclusion that she would question him on Lucas. It was on her mind, yes, but she was still cross even through the trauma. Twisting her self around as to confront him, she stressed the seriousness of the predicament.

“You still took part in the act if not already instigating it. Lucas’s family is a powerful one with much influence on the people. Duke Millard and his family may be of wicked hearts but they are not to be toyed with. You threaten the peace within our kingdom with thoughtless actions. What did he even do to provoke you? I’m sure you barely spoke to him much less been able to get into an argument. And if you even think of doing so much as raising a finger to the rest of them, by the gods, I swear I’ll...”

She groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose in intense thought and frustration. She couldn't even come up with a threat nor punishment that would even suffice to the rigid consequences to follow. Whatever was ailing her to become the sobbing mess she was earlier had swooped into the distance. The gravity of her thought compelled her to sigh, heavy hearted.

“But … thank you. For taking care of me. I didn’t expect you to come yet I am grateful for the comfort.” Aretha’s temper calmed, softening her displeasure. She leaned up and pressed a soft kiss against his cheek. “As for Grandma Eden, I rather disliked the way she treated me. She played riddles that she refused to answer and even knew what would happen to me. I never as so much as had a decent warning!”

She grimaced, brushing back her hair which was tangled in it curls. She then remembered that she did indeed buy things from the old woman. Her eyes scanned the room and she could not find the knapsack that she had carried with her that night, “Did I…”, she mumbled aloud. No, she had it with her she was sure of it. If not the only thing it could be was that Godric had taken it from her as to get his book or she dropped it. “Dammit..” She tore her pillows from the bed, possibly hoping that maybe it had fallen behind the frame.

“I’ll gladly go with you, if you wish it”, she finally replied still in her search. “Though I fear I might not be one of the most reliable people to stay calm.”

He smiled coldly. "I deny nothing. And I threaten nothing. Millard has power but so does Baron Greu whose daughter Grace killed herself when Lucas poisoned her and killed her child within her. Duke and Duchess Redstrike's two daughters Jasmine and Isabel who killed each other in a fight over him. Lord White's wife Nancy and daughter Mi-Yin who were forced into exile where they were raped and murdered because of him. He's killed more than thirty of his own children Aretha each of them with noblewomen of the highest order. They were the men who killed him. And i dare Millard to attack that many at once. Especially for something that he can never admit happened. I always consider before I act."

He hissed and the sound was so dangerous and primal it forced a chill up her spine. "Do not threaten Princess. I am not subject to your laws and as Mary is under my protection I have no reason to harm the others. Blackard should die but though he is a ruthless bastard he has yet to commit a crime I can punish him for."

That easily he dismissed both her threat and any possible consequences. Only her father had the forces to fight so many families at once and by marking him as what he was Hama had stripped Lucas of his protection as was the right and duty of those in power with knowledge of such acts.

He smiled. "You are welcome. It is also my duty." He smiled more and gently stroked her neck. "The White-Eyes has never been easy to understand. As to what happened to you she has always been one to refuse to interfere. Even to protect herself. It's cost her many times in the past."

He pointed to the bag on her dresser. "It is here my dear. Godric did not take the book. He can't. The bag will only open to you. A rather clever protective spell of her's." He lifted the bag and showed her as even trying to rip it it did nothing. "She got the secret out of the same wizard that killed your sister actually. A bastard but a clever bastard."

He handed the bag to her. "You will be fine. besides we can talk as we fly. You can learn about me and I you. And I'm sure you would like to see the land you have never been allowed to visit. And since it means the safety of your people I have no doubt you will stay calm."

"Hmm? Somehow you make it seem as if I'm going to be offended when I go there."

She brushed off the leather sack, tempted to look at the book. She was never one for magic or dealing with it. In her eyes anyone that played with it was evil minded or would soon be twisted into the dark arts. It was a dangerous life style to take up but it had it's uses. The book itself, The Warden's Mugic, held many a secret and sought by different spell casters. It had been from hand to hand, a legend that the owner who took possession of the book would fall into the grips of death. Aretha never believed such tales, things to scare children. She set the bag near her, putting aside her curiosity.

"I would think Godric would have found a way past the spell. He's very talented with sneaking though anything meant to protect. One time he opened my room when I was a child, merely using a fork", she smiled lightly, giggling at the thought.

An idea came to mind and she glanced up to Hama, mischief written all over her face. Quick as a flash of light, she grabbed his arm and pulled him back down onto the bed. Just as fast as she had done so, she put herself onto of him trapping the dragon beneath her. "Why wait to talk? You said we have hours and also you've locked the doors. So, whats to stop us from getting to know each other better, right now?" She peered down at him an obvious smirk apparent as she teased him.

He smirked up at her. "I am yours to command Princess."

"I got into your room without even a fork darling. And no one got into that bag. The three items are still there. i can that just by touching it."

He shifted under her and got comfortable. "Ask me what you wish to know my love."

He settled in and relaxed entirely. He was ready and willing to answer her questions. "But only about me or the basic history of my people. No specifics otherwise. And when do i get to ask questions?"

"I ask a question and then you ask me question, it's pretty fair."

She then paused a moment, wondering what exactly she should ask. She had thought that she had many questions for him and she did, but some of the sounded silly to her now that she thought about it. Licking her lips, she tapped her fingers against his chest. He said that she could ask him about himself, was there anything that he would hesitate to answer? It would be interesting to see him become uncomfortable.

"And here I was thinking you would have tried to push me down. Huh. No fun. Anyway, tell me about how you grew up. Like friends and enemies that you had or still have. What were the people like back then?"

He reached up stroking her cheek. "Aretha if i sat on you I'd crush you."

He sighed. "My friends in the other races are many. Those of the Firstborns are mostly dead and I rarely see them because they are busy in hiding or their studies but there are a few. one of each race actually. The White-Eyes is not of there number but she is very very old. You saw how i born. I was never really a child and though i was technically the first hatchling I was born with the same knowledge of my elder brothers and sisters. Tzchetl Rha is my oldest living enemy. Those who came before him are far too many to name. I did fight Drexl the Grey." An infamous Dwarven Emperor who had nearly taken Ethlberg.

"Hera Trens." A massively overpowered Amgi who had tried to take control of her people.

"Kendra and Tiana Black." A pair of elven twins, of both races, who had murdered their way across the land searching for buried treasure.

"Liani." An Orc priestess who had created a brutal antihuman cult within her race that had triggered the seventh great Orc war.

"Jasden. King of the Peak." He was a mad human king, Aretha's own ancestor actually, who had sent his people into slaughters and nearly destroyed humanity by intentionally angering the other races because he felt humanity had grown too weak.

"Numite the Cruel." An infamous orange dragon who had snapped and attacked the other nations. he had not been stopped until eh flew on Ethlberg itself.

Each of these names were well known to Aretha but what was also well known is that one day they were powerful and dangerous and the next they were dead. No one knew how. Aretha was likely sitting on the answer. This was confirmed as his eyes drew her in slightly. She saw the Dwarf Emporer crushed under Hama's tails, the Amgi crack then melt in his green flames, the Elves spitted on his claws, the Orc priestess decapitated by his wing, her own ancestor speared onto the peak of Ethl itself and left to die, and finally she watched as Hama, massive and in a towering rage, had swooped out of the sky and torn his orange brother apart, the Dragon's scream of pain heartrending. And through it all Hama stood tall. he was often wounded, sometimes badly in these memories, but he always found a way to win through. And it was easy to see why. He did not rely on his magic, his strength, or anything physical. He outthought his enemies. The Dwarf had let himself get cornered by chasing Hama into a cave with a ledge the Dwarves could not scale but Hama could fly to easily then jump down amongst them crushing them by the hundreds in the tight quarters. The Amgi had believed that his flames would give her power and let him billow them over her until they killed then melted her away. The Elves had been chasing him in the Northern Woods when he had let them ride up on him and speared them off their horses their haste overcoming their minds. The Orc had mounted a tower that a rumor said possessed a weapon to kill him and when he had swooped in then pretended to be pulling back he had made sure his wing crossed her neck as she roared hate at him. He had planted the rumor to get her out of her temple. Jasden had chased Hama to another nearby mountain top during a heavy ice storm, which had killed back the King's entourage, and then just when Jasden had him cornered, Hama shed his disguise as the Duke who had been causing so much trouble disarmed the little man, and transformed flying to Ethl and slamming the man onto the peak before flying away thus provided the bit of theatricality needed, and ensuring all the mad king's supporters were also dead allowing the ascendance of his daughter Gwendolym the Good who had ushered in a new age of of human development. Even with his battle with Numite he showed his wicked cunning. He had flown out of the sun as Numite had pulled away from the mountain thinking the other Dragon's were coming, startled to find just one who crushed him to the other mountains, badly wounding him on the rocks while clawing and shredding his wings to tatters and ripping at his neck, leaving Numite almost dead before he even realized he had been attacked.

The Dragon beneath her was a fierce and fearsome warrior who could fight like a demon, but always carried the battle with his mind not the strength of his arm.

He smiled up at her toying with her hair. "Let's see. oh yes. Do you play chess? And i believe that makes it your turn again." His eyes flashed playfully.

Aretha tilted her head, curious. She saw that she had seen barely any of Hama’s life just only the elementary basics and even though that her mind was in a haze of remembrance. But putting that aside she felt a spark of pride not for herself, well, yes for herself somewhat. After all, she was maybe one of the few to none individual that were ever able to sit upon Hama. It was like a small victory on her part, ignoring that fact he was allowing her to be atop of him.

A fact that could easily be put to the side.

But she had more pride for the fact that the one she loved was a defender and protector of Ethlberg. It was like a king knowing her won a battle, except less bloody. If anything the knowledge of knowing that bringing death was not uncommon for him should have made her fearful, but it didn’t. She couldn’t explain why or maybe she could. The thing was she knew, even if not confirmed, he wouldn’t do anything to harm her. So with her life she trusted him with.

“I ask you a question in which you give me a story of adventure and conquests. And what you give me a question about chess? My Lord, I’m not sure if I should be offended or not. My life isn’t that dull,” she jested her own note cheekiness.

“I know how to play chess, my father and brother love it immensely. When I was small, barely able to walk still he would put me in his lap to teach me the names for each piece. It was fairly silly now that I think about it. I only did chew on them instead, as told by my mother. As I grew older I was forced into playing competitively. I didn’t care for it and still find it dull to this day. It’s just that it’s knowing how to place one piece in the right position after the opponents turn. And after playing with my father and brothers, I’ve caught on that they have cycling patterns that make them predictable. So winning became easier and easier until i broke that pride of theirs and they stopped playing against me. The only reason I deal with it is because it’s a game of strategizing and conquering the attacker.”

She leaned forward, grinning softly as she crossed her arms on his chest and rested her head on them. With a gentle click of the tongue she found her question.
“Now Dragon”, she murmured. “I think this question might be double jointed to another question right after it. Depends on how you answer it. I’m going to be quite blunt when I say you are much older than me. So what I ask you now is personal… how many women have your shared a bed with? I’m sure someone like you knows what the heat of anothers bed feel like, no?”, she purred. She chuckled, shoulders shaking barely in the movement.

“And also I wouldn’t be crushed. I’m not that feeble.”

He sighed. "Chess is so much more than you think my love. It is a game of endless possibilities. That it bores you intrigues me. I've been playing since we invented the game and i still adore it. And I rarely lose. But it does happen."

"But the question was not intended to give offense. It is a question I wanted to know the answer to. As to yours I have known many lovers. They had to be seduced or distracted in some way, but none was ever the one for me. I have no children no eggs. My first child was always meant to be with you. Just as my heart has always belonged to you." As always he spoke plainly and boldly letting her see the absolute truth of his words.

"As to their number...." His eyes closed for a moment and she saw their faces. Many she knew. In fact she knew almost all of them. they were on the portraits in the Hall of History, pictures in the histories themselves, on the statues that had graced the halls of her home for millenia. He had waited a thousand thousand years for her and in that time he had helped shape the course of history that allowed her to be born, prevented the severing of her family line, and even prevented the fall of her land. Dwarf, Orc, Amgi, Elves light and dark, humans, and female Dragons all passed before her and as they did she knew who they were and why he had slept with them. He held nothing back. He was unashamed of the deeds and let her see whatever she wished but also made sure she saw that he had never loved even one of them.

He stroked her face. "So tell me my love. Can you accept an old beyond old Dragon, formed by the very words of the God Herself to bring peace amongst the mighty twelve before they even knew war? Can you truly still love me knowing that i am old and weathered? And yes that is my question."

"I already gave you that answer in the gardens. I love you now I will still still continue to love you. I'll love you through each deed and word already said and too be said. I'll stand by your side when you need me most and even when you don't need me. No matter the pain, I'll be with you. So yes my old Dragon, I still love you even though your as old as time itself."

She said this smiling but serious with each word. She meant this all truly and honestly. She caught hold of his hand, lacing her finger over his and purred sweetly in contentment. She even went as far as kissing the palm of his inner hand, an act of humbling. Usually done between friends or acquaintances, but rarely done for those in royalty who had no need to be humbled. But she did as such. "My Lord, when I am married to you understand I am there to serve you as any wife to any husband. Yes, I felt different flares of...jealousy when you share with me this past of your life. I still feel that jealousy. But I dare not hide it because it has a right to be known."

Her whole body ached; she ached as if there were a terrible hollow emptiness inside her. She was more conscious of Hama than she had ever been of anything or anyone else in her life, of the faint shine of green beneath his half-closed lids, of the smile he wore that still at times infuriated her madly, of faint scars that dotted the skin of his shoulders and throat—and more than anything else of his mouth, the crescent shape of it, the slight dent in the center of his bottom lip. When she leaned toward him and brushed her lips across his, tentative at first, an unhurried sweep of her mouth. She gasped, sucking in a strain breath. "It's fine for me to be jealous right? For a heaviness to settle just below my breasts, different and intense, but not unpleasant. Just burning...?''

Before giving him a chance, their mouths were pressed hotly together, Aretha's free hand tangling in his hair. Sharp trills spread down her arms and chest, then lower. Her skirts snagging on his clothing as she pulled him hard against her, in fierce need. Aretha lowered her hands lightly around his neck; his skin was burning hot to the touch. Through the thin material of his clothing, she could feel the muscles of his shoulders, hard and smooth.

"No my Princes sit is not a problem."

He moaned as she kissed him and kissed back hungrily stroking her face and neck. Then he gasped and gently but firmly pushed her up and away. "darling as much as i want to we cannot give in to our passions."

He rolled her over and stood. He took a moment to calm himself then smirked. "Are you guna behave? If not I shall have to leave my love."

He wanted to stay. He wanted her. But it was not the time. If their child was conceived while Tzchetl Rha lived both mother and child would be lost forever. He knew better than to fight that.

He smiled at her. "It is your turn for a question my love."

She fell back against the bed as he stood, slightly upset and disappointed. She knew that she should wait, even if it wasn't exactly what she wanted. Her gaze became a mocking one as he asked her to behave. "Since when do I ever behave? But I will stop myself for now..."

She then smirked herself, leaning against the pillows. "I'll behave if you tell me your sensitive points. You know, just for fun." A gleam of joy taking part in her expression as she spoke. "I obviously won't try a thing unless you want me too, My Lord."

He rolled his eyes. "Now you act submissive."

He sighed and touched his neck, ears, nipples, palms, and his thighs. "There you are. And of course my lips. As a full dragon they are my tails, the junction of my wings, the hollow behind my jaw, my chest, and the tips of my spikes."

He looked at her and shook his head. "You are certainly an interesting woman my love."

"Now tell me. Have you ever been in love besides me?"

"Oh well, I would hate to be boring now. How else could I keep your interested if I was dull like so any others?"

Her playfulness froze when he asked his question, automatically she quieted herself. Was this a smart thing to answer or should she ignore it? He hadn't shown that he had the best of temperaments in her own eyes and it made her nervous. But she did make a deal with him and she would keep it.

"Twice, really. Though I can't be sure if they were mere infatuations than love. My first was Godric when I first came to age. As childhood friends it made it easier for me to be comfortable around him than anyone else. He knew all my secrets as I knew all of his. It was impossible for one of us not to know what the other was thinking, just because we knew each other all too well." She shrugged it off, growing a bit distant in her memories. Some she would not mention and other she just didn't like to think about.

"There was a time when he confessed he held the same feelings for me, but even through what he said I rejected him. I didn't know why, maybe because even though he was my closest friend I regarded him as a brother in literal terms. It simple felt wrong to repeat his devotion back. Soon after, he left. He never told me where or why. He just did."

She frowned, squirming now in discomfort. It was a touchy topic, things she never liked to admit too. Many men saw her as a impossible woman to deal with due to her mind games and trick, while others just grew frustrated because she refused to acknowledged them But now as she looked back, there were times when she had he weak moments and was hurt in the process.

"The second was Blackard, as much as I hate to say it. I never could have thought he was so cruel when I first met him. He was kind and sweet, hopelessly polite and quite handsome. Everyone in my family thought he was simply perfect and so did I. By this time it had been four years since the departure of Godric, and I still never heard from him. I was angry and confused with my feelings and hopelessly gave them away at passing suitors only to tear them back. I thought Blackard was different and was prepared to give him everything. But everything wasn't enough. He was greedy and still greedy to this day."

She glanced to him, cautious in observing his reaction. "Thus were my two loves before you."

He nodded and gently touched her leg. 'It is alright my love. You have nothing to fear. I understand. To love a friend is natural. And to love someone who behaves so perfectly is hard to resist." he gently traced a tender hand along her shins.

"And when you are ready to tell me what makes you so ashamed and angry about these two i shall listen and never judge you. You have my word on my own eyes."

He leaned down and gently kissed her knees. This was his sign of tenderness as the knees were so prominent and sensitive on any Dragon. Not in a sexual but in a gentle and tender way just as he did now to her. "Your question my love."

"I'm not ashamed of the relationships I had. I am ashamed that I readily gave my focus onto people who shouldn't even be bothered with the thought", she relied icily. She pulled her legs away, hidden now under her skirts. She wasn't used to the signs of affections he had shown. If anything she thought of them as weird to a point.

Instead she traced the floral designs of her garments, barely noticeable through the dark coloring of the dress. "What are the other Souled like?"

He shrugged. "Your life. Your decisions. No need to get cold with me." he smirked as she hid her legs and sat crosslegged where they had been. The bed was strong but it groaned heavily as he sat upon it. He sighed happily.

"They are much different than me. They were not born Dragons. They looked into our eyes and become what they are. There are some Souled Children born of two Souled and but very few. Our children tend to be very powerful. But the Bornsouls as they are called are different than myself. They tend toward their parent's cultures and have a much deeper connection to that group than any other. I tend toward humans but not in the same way. Born from Fital i tend to the land itself and as Humans control the larger part..."

He chuckled. "I'm off point. Elf Souled are even more quiet and mysterious, Dwarven Souled like larger caverns and have a greater affinity for treasure. Human Souled are stronger and quicker, the Orc Souled can feel nature at a much deeper level. The Amgi who are Souled have such powerful magic as to be nigh unstoppable. Basically the power fuels the Souled's natural ability to an extraordinary level. Each Souled is different though. The oldest besides myself is five thousand years younger than me and though she changed when she was twelve she has aged, one of the few to do so, and became one of the Ladies of the Age."

The Ladies of the Age were High Priestesses of the Temple to the Winds of Time and Magic. They were all old women who protected the secrets of the Winds with their lives, the service taking their youth but granted them immense power. Each race was allowed a single female. No male could enter the temple save in times of great need.

"The Souled i brought represent each race save the Amgi. The Souled that will serve as their emissary is with King Gold already. As brothers we felt they deserved more time together. His name is Silver. he is made of the metal. His magic is incredible. But people tend to think him a fool because he always smiles and cannot speak. Never think it. Silver could cover all of Ethlberg in molten silver if he so chose. But he swore an oath never to harm a living creature after what happened just before he changed. Gold is convincing him to fight and he will though he may not be happy about it." he licked his lip. "Silver and the other magicians will be a large part of our plan...their magic will kill thousands upon thousands of Rezda...it will be truly terrifying."

He looked up at her. "Souled are little Dragons. They have access to the same knowledge I do and after a time they can become full Dragons but they were once something else and that carries over making them always something more. Such as Agatha. When she married and had Kurtis she was still Agatha but she was also a wife, a lover, a mother. She was always a Princess but now she is a Queen, acting but still Queen. And Kurtis. Always a son, a grandson, a Prince, a musician, but now A High Prophet. That is a Souled. They are that something more in the physical not just in name or rank. but to know them themselves you will have to meet them. And don't expect them to be like me. Where I serious they are wild. Where i am wild they are serious. And remember though officially one of them they view as something else. Like the big brother they had never expected. they aren't quite sure how to treat me."

He smiled at the thought.

Aretha listened, nodding slightly as he explained. But as he finished his explanation, she broke out into a large grin.

"You? Wild? You seem nothing of the sort! If anything I would describe you as a tamed kitten, who licks it's paws with a delicate purr! But wild, no I could never even imagine such a thing."

She had a goofy expression, biting her lower lip in attempt not to laugh. After a period of time of faltering faces of seriousness, she ducked her head into a pillow as to conceal her laughter. With her shoulder's shaking, bubbles of giggles where finally left when she sat up.

"I -ppff- I think though it's cute that you have siblings. In a way, not blood related but still siblings all the same. It must be interesting with the different cultures and backgrounds. But to as how they treat you, I would feel the same as in their position. You have a ... dominating aura that quiets them. And I'm sure your chess playing abilities leaves them shuddering in fear."

"Your question."

He watched her giggle and laugh and just smiled enjoying her delight nearly as much as she did.

"I am far closer to the Twelve. We truly do share the same blood. The Blood of Creation. God Herself making forged us as one just as it truly does with all living things. Everything that came after has a touch but we have it purely. We believe that is why we thirteen have grown so big even for dragons. Each of the twelve is at least as large I am myself. As to the chess..well i am the best of our race." he did grin with some pride.

"Apologies...What parts of the combative arts do you know? I know you can ride and well but is that all?"

“Ah, I am not a fighter. Riding is just a pastime hobby and an excuse to have my own pet. I rathered a dog, but somehow my siblings had a tendency to ‘accidentally’ killing their own animals so father and mother decided it best not to give me one. A family curse, as they liked to put it. But anyway, the girls were never taught to fight. Females in particular are always a decoration. A delicate piece to put on ones arm and show off. Mother had tried once to have us learn to use the bow and arrow, but…”

She grimaced at the memory. That day all the older girls who were actually able to walk were presented in the back of the fields, behind the castle. In front of them, a bored man yawned, glancing up at the clouds every once and awhile. He was stiff in posture and in his middle ages, hints of wrinkles forming around the corners of his mouth. The girl watched him and he watched them back. It was only until the queen coughed and looked expectantly at the tutor that he actually did anything of purpose. “Ladies, the Queen has found it necessary that you learn of how to use an arrow. No matter how ridiculous it is…”, he muttered lowly under his breath.

The King seemed to agree with the Archer’s attitude, being disagreeable and still trying to convince his wife that the princesses didn't need to learn of such things. They had problems in just paying attention to their studies of the history of the kingdom or anything for that matter. Agatha tapped her foot in irritation while Gretchen troubled herself with finding how to hold the contraption. Aretha on the other hand was wondering off in predatory attempt to capture a passing ladybug. But her attempt went unsatisfactory, when a younger Ellen picked her up and brought her back.

“Awww, but he talks so much. It smells bad here. And the sun’s hot. I don’t wanna be here. Can’t I go back inside?” Aretha was struggling against the woman’s grip trying to find her escape. “No, Mi’Lady. Look at your sisters, they aren’t trying to leave.” Aretha swiftly glared at her sibling who in turn gave smug smiles at her. “That’s because they are stupid…”

She was placed down next to Gretchen and given the small weapon. She gave one glance at it and threw it to the ground. “I don’t like it.”

“Aretha! Pick that up right now!”

The princess winced at her mother’s shrill yell and grumbling, picked it back up. The archor still drolled on about the history of the arrow and she groaned. But something caught her eye, Agatha. Her older sister was playing with her own arrow and it slipped from her had zipped past their instructors face. He sputtered, falling bacl a afew paces. And that’s when Aretha got her brilliant idea. Picking up her own arrow, she placed in the bow aiming right for the man’s leg. When he stopped moving, she let go.

The most horrible scream she had ever heard carried through the forest.

It took five hours later to find her after she ran into the wood.

“I believe I was six at the time..”, she smiled fondly in thought.

“I use to fence with my brother’s but stopped for a while, since I could never win no matter how hard I tried. Frustration and embarrassment aren’t exactly what I call good friends of mine.”

Back
Top Bottom