Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Unlucky's Stories

UnluckyGambit

Super-Earth
Escape The Darkness

I had been wandering the darkness for hours. There was no light anywhere in this cavern, and my hand against the cave wall was my only guide as I explored this darkness. I thought about how I had arrived at this place, which involved me awaking to a hole of light in the ceiling. I recall there being words written on the wall, "The pendant will save you." These words were written in blood, so it was someone's last message. I prayed not to encounter whatever the man had met in these caves, but this system seems to be large enough for that to be unlikely. However, there was this feeling I could not shake. Like an invisible hand was guiding my path, and slowly wrapping an icy grasp around my heart.

"What dark magic is this?" I muttered as I stopped for a moment to attempt to explain this feeling. Perhaps this darkness was getting to me? No, that is the path of madness, and I refuse to go down that path. Perhaps that creature is the source of this, but this feeling has been getting weaker, not stronger. Would this beast not want me to fall into its clutches? No, I am making this far too complicated. This is clearly the cold of the cave, as there is not any sunlight to warm the walls. After convincing myself of that as the truth I pressed on through the darkness, taking an endless and random pattern of turns. I was about to give up until….a glimmer of light flickered then dashed behind a corner. I dashed after this glimmer in a desperate attempt to catch up to it, but it always waited at the next turn before moving on. This was madness, as this could be a trap set by the creature, but I could not help myself as the glow attracted me, as a man is attracted to that of his love. The glow floated in the middle of the room, and there was an even brighter light on a pedestal. I wandered toward the light, and found myself in a much larger part of the cave. The light shot up through a hole in the dome ceiling, but it was enough to light up the room. Ruins surrounded the pedestal all made of smoothed marble, and all of it was masterly crafted. There was a wall with that designs indicated that they belonged to an ancient civilization, but there was no true way to tell the exact age they were. The designs were of people running from darkness and figures within it. Those who were caught were tortured till their death. Finally one of them held a pendant in the air, and it was giving off a bright light. The darkness and the figures within it vanished, and the people were able to celebrate. I stood and pondered as to why I needed this pendant if these people had fended off these creatures. Then I noticed a stray mark on the side of the wall that led to a broken fragment not far away. I picked up and examined it, and the entire fragment was black and two red eyes stared back at me. The design was freshly made. Something had lived, and it exacted its revenge. A chill ran down my spine, and I quickly climbed onto the platform the pedestal sat on. I grabbed the pendant and froze.

The chill did not shrink away, but instead spread throughout my body. My senses told me there was no immediate danger, but my soul was screaming in agony. Something was coming. I made a mad dash back toward the entrance, as the chill got worse. I felt as though there was a sword at my neck, and no matter what I did I would not escape. I dashed through the blackness, and the pendant gave me enough light to navigate my way through. I took a turn I did not take before, only to hear a cracking sound under my feet. I looked down to see human bones, and skulls. Hundreds of them blocked the way. I stepped back in shock; these must belong to those unfortunate enough to meet the beast.

"Run little rabbit. Run." A voice whispered in a sadistic way, and I did not wait for another invitation and fled back down the way I came. I heard the sound of bones crashing to the floor as something busted out from the walls of bones. I never looked back and ran any way that seemed clear. A dead end would mean certain death now, but I was gaining distance from whatever was after me. However, it stayed on my trail, but how? Unless…. the pendant of course!

I saw the next intersection and clamped my hand over the pendant blocking out the only light in the darkness. I took a sharp right, crouched and did not breathe or move. The sound of footsteps closed in, and it took all my nerve not to run. I saw the darkness move, but come to a stop in the middle of the intersection. It looked around trying to see where the light went, and its eyes settled right on me. I met its eyes and saw only a blood red leer, and pure hatred. The figure turned away and went down the opposite way, but I did not move until I counted to ten in my head. I stood, and very slowly moved along the wall in the darkness. The dark would be unnerving seeing how well that creature blended in with it, but releasing the light of the pendant would be foolish. I had barely moved twenty steps away from the intersection when I heard something. I turned slowly to have blood red eyes staring right at me, and before I could react there was a hand at my throat slamming me against the wall. I let the pendant go, and grabbed my creature's arm trying to pull it off of my throat, all in vain as its grip was that of steel. The grip tightened and I breathing was near impossible. I kicked and struggled, but to no avail, it was all a waste of energy.

"Fool! You cannot escape me!" The creature roared, but as my world began to fade the pendant's light brightened until it was blinding. Everything went black, and when I opened my eyes I jerked forward and looked around. I was back in my room, in my bed with cold sweat dripping down my skin. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, and struck the nearby candle with a match. I leaned my back against the wall, and sat there for a moment trying to comprehend what happened. 'Was it a dream? Maybe, but it felt almost too real for a dream.' Then I heard something laughing, and I grabbed the knife I kept under my pillow.

The creature's voice rang in my head, "After all…I am your destiny." And the creature's cackling laugh faded away in my head.

I did not sleep the rest of the night, as I pondered a thought. 'Had I really escaped?'

Back
Top Bottom