Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sidewinder [WillowVX x Morlock]

WillowVX

Star
The roads were dark as I peered intensely through the windshield. I've been driving on Rt. 44 for what seemed like hours. I quickly glanced at the time blinking on the dashboard. It was just after two in the morning. I was originally from Chicago and these country roads always gave me the chills. They were windy, bumpy, and they never had any street lights. It didn't help that my eyes were tired and every now and then I would begin to nod off.

"Really, Amy?" I muttered to myself. "You're a smart one, you know that?" I sighed and tried to rub the sleep out of my eyes. When I agreed to take a job in Virginia, I never considered the fact that I would be driving aimlessly in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, I was cursed with a terrible sense of direction. I've been driving around all night trying to find my way back to the apartment I just moved in to. I really should think about investing in a GPS.

The wind howled and shook the small ford focus. I felt chill bumps rise up on my arms from the cold. I was always under the impression that Virginia was supposed to be warm. I ran my fingers through my shoulder length red hair and cursed myself for not stopping to ask for directions while I was still in civilization. Who knows how long I would be driving for? If I didn't find a place to stop soon, I was afraid I would fall asleep.

I kept my eyes hard on the road to make sure there wasn't a turn coming up. My fingers twisted the knobs on the dashboard, trying to get the heat to turn on. I was beginning to get frustrated when I couldn't get the knob to turn. I glanced quickly down at the button and hit it a few times. Finally, a felt a blast of heat against my skin and I shivered at the new feeling of warmth. When I lifted my head back up to the road I screamed.

All at once everything happened very quickly. I screamed. My foot slammed on the breaks but I wasn't fast enough. There was nothing I could do to avoid hitting the shape standing in the middle of the road. It was so dark and it all happened so fast, I could hardly make it out. It looked like the silhouette of a person but there was no way I could be sure. The only thing I could do to avoid hitting them was to swerve. I cut the wheel sharply to the right and my car nose dived into a very deep ditch.

I felt a sharp pain as my head collided with the steering wheel. Everything was dizzy. It felt like I was suspended almost upside down. I tried to move to get out of the car but I couldn't feel my body. I lifted my hand to feel my head and it was wet. I knew then that I was bleeding. It felt pretty bad. I began to panic. There was no way anybody would find me out here and my cell phone lost signal hours ago. I almost started to lose hope until I heard what sounded like footsteps. A feeling of hope swelled inside of me. I heard a creak like somebody was trying to open the car door. Suddenly, the door opened. Not just opened, though. Somebody ripped the door completely off.

I whipped my head around to see but it was so dark. I didn't get a chance to make anything out before I felt a strong hand grab me by the throat. I gasped and instantly brought my hands up to try to alleviate the pressure. I clawed at the hand as I desperately tried to catch my breath. The last thing I saw were a pair of dark eyes before I lost consciousness.

It was cold that night as I weened my way through the woods, the fog was thick and I could feel my feet gliding over the snow covered ground, I was enjoying my ability to speed and yet I was in no rush at all, I enjoyed the cold, everything always seemed cleaner and more pure in the frost.

I knew this area well, I had been here for the past two centuries after all, I knew the swamps, the trees and the caves, they were my only true friends, nay, they were my family.

I was nearing the road, I could hear a car, a smaller car approaching from the distance, I slowed myself and watched, hiding, how I liked to hide, it made me think of my former life, my childhood, hiding in trees and caverns, some elements of my old life remained with me. I hid and waited, watching.

A car is not what I saw first though, I saw a figure in the distance also hiding but not as well, he was ready to pounce also hearing the vehicle approaching, initially indifferent I waited and watched and then a wave, a wave of concern washed over me and yet it was too late, the car had already crashed, the figure ripping the door off it's fragile hinges, I ran up at top speed and knocked the creature aside, I could smell the fresh blood of the driver, a woman, throwing the creature to the ground I ripped it's abdomen apart and before going further in my blood frenzy realized the driver needed assistance, I stopped and took her as she was passing out.

Taking her back to my cottage, I place her on my bed, a large four poster bed with canopy, a bed which sits on an old Persian rug, I take a seat beside her and wait, I know she will be ok, but I do not want her to awake alone.

Blood. Chaos. Darkness. That was all I could see. It all happened so fast as I relived the awful events of the night. The figure standing in the road. The car violently crashing into the ditch. The feeling that I couldn't breathe. I wanted to get out. I needed to get out. But I couldn't move. The night played over and over like a sick movie on repeat. I felt the pain of a hand grabbing me by the throat and I was jolted awake. I shot straight up in a bed, screaming. I felt the sweat beading down my temples, plastering my hair to the sides of my face. I was panting and tried desperately to get a grip on my surroundings.

The dream sense started to fade and the room started to materialize around me. I noticed small things. I was in a small room with log walls. It looked like some sort of cabin or cottage. The bed was large with red satin sheets. How did I get here? Am I dead? My head was throbbing and I started to feel dizzy again. I turned my head to look to the right and gasped. The guy sitting in the chair didn't say a word. He just watched me. He looked to be about 23 years old, not too much older than me. He was attractive, that part was obvious, but there was something... wrong about him. Every instinct inside of me was screaming to run, to put as much distance between him and I as humanly possible. I was frozen in place. My green eyes were wide with fear and I couldn't speak, I couldn't even move. My head was killing me and I was afraid I might pass out again. I stared at the man with a mix of fear and shock.

I watched her as she slept, emotions stirred in me that had laid dormant for quite some time, some believed such emotions were beyond creatures such as myself, but how wrong these fools could be, I could feel love and passion far deeper than they could ever dream. When life is seemingly eternal, to love can truly be forever.

I straightened my long dark hair as I saw the woman awaken, she was around 22 or so, pretty, I wore the clothing of 3 decades earlier, black trousers and long black coat, my pale skin the result of avoiding the sun and of course having a lack of life within my body.

I could see that she was flitting from consciousness and unconsciousness as I watched her, I could tell she could see me and yet she didn't respond or ask anything, I stayed quiet, calm. Soon though she woke a little more than before, I knelt by the bedside as she stirred.

"Are you Ok?" I asked gently.

I didn't know how to react to the situation. I don't understand what happened or where I was or who this guy was. He was frightening. I looked into his eyes as he spoke and I felt a shudder rip through me. His eyes were so dark, almost black. I had to get out of here. I sat there, shaking in fear. I had to approach this situation delicately.

"I..." I started. "What happened?" I was about to ask more of the obvious questions when I felt a sharp pain in my head from my injury. I inhaled sharply and I fell back onto the bed.

I felt her fear as she looked at me, although I didn't wish her to be afraid of me it also excited my beastly instincts, she was still dazed and confused, wondering what had happened and where she was, her fragility and confusion made me desire her all the more.

"You had a car accident, you tried to swerve when you saw a deer on the road, you will be ok, but you need rest, can I get you a drink, some food? You do not need to fear me, you are safe here I assure you" I say to you trying to make my voice even softer and kinder sounding.

My head still spun as I listened to his words. His voice sounded so kind. It slightly put me at ease, but not enough to make me drop my guard.

"But who are you?" I asked. I rubbed my head and swallowed hard. "And why am I here? Where are the police? Why aren't I in the hospital?" The more I thought about the situation, the more frightened I became. It didn't make any sense for me to be here. Why didn't he call the police? This didn't feel right and I needed to leave.

"No, thank you." I said as I refused his offers. "I think I should go. I was going to meet people and they'll be really concerned when I don't show up." I lied.

I anticipated she might panic at some point but not this soon, she started to ask logical questions, why she wasn't in the hospital why police weren't called. I had no logical honest answer that I could give her that would put her at ease.

"Don't worry about these things now, I assure you the hospital is many miles away and I would not have been able to get you there and expect you to survive, it was quicker to bring you back here" I answered, it was a half truth, if I were a mortal on foot, I would have had no chance of taking her to the hospital.

I smile as you decline my offer, despite my alternate plans you can't move now anyway.

"It is too early to move you my dear and the storm is fierce out. I will bring you some soup and some port to keep you warm, when you regain your strength we will talk about letting you leave for the hospital" and with that I get up and leave the room taking the one solitary vanity mirror that sits on the dresser with me as I walk out.

I didn't like the sound of that. Many miles away? Fierce storm? I was stuck here. I was stuck here with this guy who made the hairs on my arm stand up right and I could barely even move. His smile made my heart jump a little but I pushed it away. It didn't matter how attractive he was, I didn't care about stuff like that. The only thing that mattered was getting to safety. He said that I hit a deer? I don't remember... I know there was something in the road, but I don't remember what it looked like. So many pieces were missing.

After the guy left the room I waited a few seconds. After it sounded like his footsteps retreated far enough enough, I tried to pull myself out of bed. My limbs felt heavy and my head swam. I didn't care what this creep said, there was no way in hell I'm sticking around. This guy was probably going to rape and kill me then make me into some kind of stew. Who knew what these backroad people did. I've seen enough movies to know that this was not going to end well.

I pressed my ear against the wooden door and I waited for a sound. Silence. I still had my tattered and bloody clothes on from the night before but my shoes seemed to be missing. I quietly turned the knob and my bare feet made almost no noise as they stepped softy on the floor of the cabin. I closed the door as silently as I could and I wandered down the hallway, looking for a way out.

In the kitchen I could hear the door to my room open, I knew she would if she could try and escape, she would find that all the windows and doors would be locked and she would be forced to accept my hospitality a little longer. I wondered what type of woman she was, emotional and impulsive or intelligent and cautious a woman who would try and make me believe that she really did like me in order to find a way out.

I was prepared for both possibilities of course, and I slowly started my way back to my room with the bowl of soup and port on a tray. I pretended that I didn't know where she was but of course my sensitive hearing picked up exactly where she was headed.

Returning to my room I entered and placed the tray down, I started to call out, "Are you there? Hello, please you are safe and still hurt perhaps concussed, please come and sit with me" I called out as I followed the sound of her steps, she was like a rat in a cage she just didn't know that yet.

I froze dead in place when I heard the stranger's voice call from the bedroom. I was in what looked like a living room. There was a fireplace, a bear skin rug, and a few old chairs. I was against the wall, right across from a door. I didn't know what to do next. I could run to the door and run out into the woods. But where would I run to? How far could I go? If I stayed, there was a chance he really didn't mean me any harm. But then again, there was a chance he was planning to hurt me. I needed to make a choice. And quick. I looked around the room. As soon as I saw the fire poker on the side of the fireplace a thought struck me.

I tiptoed over and pick up the instrument. It was no longer than the length of my forearm. That would be perfect. I tucked the fire poker into the waste band of my pants and covered the top of it with my shirt. There was really nowhere for me to run, realistically. I had to take my chances here and if he tried anything, I would defend myself.

I walked slowly back into the bedroom looking a bit embarrassed. I tried my best to cover my tracks.

"Sorry." I mumbled awkwardly. "I was afraid. I didn't want to be alone." I lied again and I stood in the doorway.

I could hear she was in the living room, I could sense and smell her fear at having heard my voice, I could hear her heartbeat pounding, terrified, and I hadn't even done anything to her... yet. What would she be like if she provoked my true nature my darkest demon to come out, what would I see then, I smirk at the thought of this, I can feel my light and darkness fight within me, I was no different as a human, I would adore a woman and if she rejected me or feared me, I would give her a real reason to feel that fear.

I tried to quell my sadness at her being fearful of me, I still held out hope that we could connect properly, that in time she would see me for who I really was, well either that or she would see me for who I really was.

I heard her pick up the fire stoker, the metal grating as she brandished it, no doubt hoping to knock me out.

A devilish plan overcame me, I knew what I would do if she were to strike me with it.

Then she reappeared, telling me that she was afraid and didn't want to be alone, although a lie it still strike a nerve within me and I smiled warmly towards her, it was a sign of softness regardless of how false.

"And you don't have to be alone, please get back into bed, I have soup and port for you" I pleaded with her.

I didn't know what to think of his kindness. It was believable and I'm not quite sure if it was genuine. I've always been a very careful person.

I nodded at him and I sat back into the bed. I pulled the blanket over me to hide the weapon I was concealing. I had to wait for the right moment. I looked at the tray that he sat onto the table beside the bed. There is no way I'm eating that, buddy, I thought to myself.

"Thank you. But I don't think I could eat anything. I still feel pretty nauseous." It wasn't a lie. The thought of eating anything made me sick. "Who are you?" I asked as I looked at him. I knew I looked frightened. I cursed myself for that. If he was a psycho, he would probably enjoy the fact that I was afraid. It was hard to conceal my worry, though. So much has happened. "How did you find me?"

I could see she was having her own internal battle, not sure if I was genuinely kind or a maniac in disguise. Of course what she was yet to learn was that I was equal parts of both and it all depended on how she responded to me and behaved with me as to how much of each side she would see.

I smiled as she went back into bed and pulled the blanket over her trying to hide the stoker that I knew she had with her, it was cute in many ways like a kitten trying to growl like a tiger. I decided to let her think that I was unaware of her teeth though, it would be better anyway if she thought she had some power over me.

She refused to eat which I imagined she might and she was trying to conceal her worry and fear, once again cute.

"Oh yes, I am so sorry, I was so concerned with you that I totally forgot my manners, my name is Trenton, Trenton Daniels, you are in my home here deep in the woods, I found you as I was out trying to find my dog, he seemed to have gotten out and before I could find him, I came across you and your wrecked car. So if I may ask, how did you come to be in this area and what is your name?" I smiled.

I gave him a skeptical look. Trying to find your dog, huh? I looked around the room and tried to remember what I saw in the living room. There were no dog toys. No dog bed. There were no signs there was an animal here at all. I didn't want to let on that I suspected anything. I figured it would be best to go with it until I had a chance to escape.

"Oh. Well, it looks like you saved my life then." This time the smile was genuine. I may not have remembered what happened and whether or not this guy is a psycho, I would be dead if it weren't for him, "Thank you, Trenton Daniels." I started to feel slightly more at ease. It seemed like an easy thing to do around him. It almost worried me. Sometimes when he looked at me it reminded me of a tiger laying in the grass and starting at it's prey. It made me uneasy but it almost felt like I had no choice but to start to feel comfortable.

I wondered whether or not I should tell him the truth. If he knew that I was alone here, that might not be too good for my sake. So for the third time tonight, I lied. "My name is Amy. I just moved here with my boyfriend. From Chicago. I was driving back from my new job and I got lost. I'd been driving around for hours and I was tired. I could have sworn it was a person in the middle of the road. At one point, you're going to think I'm crazy, I thought I saw somebody rip my car door open. Like literally, right off the hinges... But that's impossible, right? There are so many things that I think I remember that just don't make any sense." I shook my head and tried to recall the events but everything was a blur. "I guess I hit my head pretty hard, huh?" I laughed quietly to myself, realizing how insane I sound.

I could tell she didn't believe me about the dog, of course it was a rather weak story but it seemed the only thing that came to mind and of course it at least made some sense as to why I would be risking my own life out in the coldness of the woods.

Then her smile warmed and I sensed genuine feelings in her smile when she thanked me for saving her life, and of course regardless of my motives I did save her. I relaxed in my chair and poured myself a glass of port, I wondered where all of this was going to lead, what might happen and how, in the end it was really more up to her than it was me.

I studied her as she thought about what to tell me, I could see she was wondering how much to tell me, what story to spin and how it might effect her future. Indeed she may have been wondering about how much of a future she even had.

I smiled as she recounted it to me, "Yes, it is an easy place to get lost in and yes you did hit your head hard, I am so happy you got back into bed, concussions are difficult things." I responded sipping the port, I could tell she was lying, I could hear her heart beating quicker than normal a sure give away.

"Is there someone I can call for you Amy?" I asked.

I paused. What could I tell him? There wasn't anyone that he could call. I didn't have a boyfriend waiting for me at my apartment. I've been out of contact with my family since I was a teenager. The only people who would notice I was missing were my employers and since it's Friday, the school where I taught won't be open again until Monday morning. Nobody would even know that I was gone for days. That gave me a sinking feeling and I pressed myself further into the bed. It felt like I was going to be sick. I had no one. That darkening thought was something that always lingered with me but I constantly pushed it away. Now, in a cabin with this stranger, far away from home, I couldn't ignore the feeling of isolation.

"If you could just call the police. I need to report the accident. And maybe they can get me to a hospital where they could treat my head." This was the test. If he really meant me no harm, then he would call the police. "I really appreciate everything you've done for me, Trenton. Thank you again." I smiled, it was a bit forced. I knew that I looked nervous. The truth was, I had a gut feeling that he didn't intend on calling anyone. Never the less, I needed to keep up appearances. I felt the long piece of iron weigh heavy under my clothes. I had never needed to fight anyone before. I hoped that if the time came, I'd be able to do it.

I knew the offer of calling someone for her would get a rise from her, she had no one and we both knew it, she was running from something, hoping to find something better and it had all gone badly as I presumed it had always gone badly for her. That was ok though, I would let her believe what she wanted to for now, it worked better that way for me.

She opted for the police, a smart choice, I nodded my head, "Of course, I will call them right now and then we will see how possible it is to get you to the hospital" I told her. I could feel her nerves and yet I remained calm, making her feel foolish for feeling so scared.

I will just get my phone, I said to her and returned a few moments later, I dialed the number for the police, little did she know that I knew the local Sheriff and he owed me more than a few favours, a few years back I saved his daughter from being gang raped and ever since he was more than tolerant of my occasional blood letting.

I dialed and placed the phone on speaker so Amy could hear everything, I had no reason to hide anything after all soon there was an answer.

"Hello Sheriff's department, Jean speaking"

"Jean! How are you? Is Lucas around, It's Trenton"

"Oh Hi Trent, yeah I'll get him"

And so we chatted the way friends do and I explained the situation, he said he would be right over.

"Would you like a drink now Amy?" I asked like a man who had just put his chess opponent into check.

I was dumbfounded as I listened to the conversation between Trent and the sheriff. After he hung up, I heard his voice but I couldn't pay attention to what he was saying. I blinked a few times and shook myself back into reality. I was wrong. What was I supposed to think, though? I nearly die, I wake up in some strangers house in the middle of nowhere. I almost wanted to laugh at myself. This man obviously saved my life and here I am accusing him of being a psycho.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said as I gave him my attention. "I got a little spacey." I looked at him quizzically and finally decided to relax. He called the sheriff. He would be here soon and this nightmare would be over. "I would love a drink, thank you."

I held the glass in my hand, not yet taking a sip. "So, why do you live all way out here by yourself?"

I sat there with absolute glee, Trenton as well would make sure that she would want to stay with me rather than him as well, it was going well so far, of course I would do whatever it took but right now I wanted to try the non violent approach.

Pouring her a drink, I smiled as I sat back again, "Well I like the quiet, I am a very passive and calm person, I used to live in the city but really it was not my cup of tea at all, too many people and petty games, too much bullshit, I just like to be myself and have my space you know" I told her.

"So Amy, when the Sheriff gets here he will take you to the hospital or at least tell us if it is safe to get there and then you will have a choice, to stay here with me or he can take you to a cheap motel in town, if the hospital clear you of course, you don't have to decide now, just something to think about it". I informed her as I saw the Sheriff's truck roll up outside.

Lucas came in, a tall man rough grey 3 day growth and tired looking, an old 45 years old, "So this is Amy, how are you, I heard you had a car crash, we will retrieve your car tomorrow, the way to the hospital is clear, Trenton can take you there unless you would prefer to go with me. And is there anyone we can call for you?" he asked her.

I nodded. "I understand. That's why I..." I stopped myself, I almost slipped. "I mean that's why my boyfriend and I moved here to the country. To kind of get away from it all, you know? To have a fresh start." I was becoming more at ease as we were having a conversation. My head still hurt and the room went in and out of focus.

I listened to Trent as he told me my options. I was beginning to feel uneasy again. My distrustful nature was showing as I suddenly wondered whether or not I could trust the sheriff. I've seen movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the sheriff in small towns are always in on the plan. Questioning whether or not I could trust the sheriff made me question if I could really trust Trent. I found myself really wanting to trust him. He was a very attractive man. I could also see parts of myself inside of him, enjoying the quiet and being alone. No matter how the circumstance changed, I couldn't manage to cure the gnawing in my stomach that something was very wrong here.

I hesitated when the sheriff came in. I looked between the two of them and I wasn't sure what to do. I could stay here and put my trust in Trent, hoping he was really who he said he was. Or I could go with the sketchy old sheriff. There was a look in the sheriff's face that made the muscles in my stomach tighten. I really hate the country, I thought to myself.

"Uhm..." I started awkwardly. "I... My boyfriend doesn't have a phone. I'm sure he's looking for me though. He may have even put in a police report." I kept the lie alive, hoping the two of them would buy the story. As afraid as I was of Trent, his appearance looked far safer than the dirty old man. "But I guess, since he's helped me so far, Trent can take me to the hospital." Oh, please God, let me have made the right decision, I prayed.

Watching Amy as she squirmed trying to craft her lie into something more lifelike and real, I could see she was already regretting it but I didn't want to tell her yet that I knew she was alone.

I also knew that Lucas' appearance would put her off and that she would remain all mine again soon, I was enjoying this and enjoying her company even though she was still being less than honest and open with me.

Lucas nodded and offered her any support before leaving and I looked at her again.

"Please relax Amy, I am not wanting to hurt you, if you wish we can go to the hospital now, if you feel you are up to it?" I asked kindly, almost tempted to make a joke about the stoker but restraining myself.

I watched warily as the sheriff left. A part of me knew that Trent was not going to take me to the hospital. I didn't have proof, but the scene looked too sketchy, too staged. I had trust issues for a reason. I wasn't just paranoid, I was smart. And I was usually a pretty good judge of character. And right now I knew that I needed to trust my instincts. When Trent turned around to close the bedroom door after the sheriff left, quietly awaiting my response, I carefully got out of the bed and pulled out the fire poker that I'd hidden. Trent turned around and looked mildly surprised. Not only surprised, he looked almost angry.

"Enough games." I said. My body was shaking and I held the instrument in a tight grip that hurt my hand. "I want the truth." I continued to step backwards, trying to put more distance between him and myself. "You can drop this nice facade. I know you were never planning on taking me to the hospital. You need to have a good talk with your sheriff friend, because it was written all over his face." When he tried to step toward me, I swung the poker in the air as a warning not to come any closer. "I'm not stupid, okay? I've been through enough to know when somebody is lying. Something isn't right. Why did I crash, Trent? What really happened?" I was running out of space as my back was almost against the wall. "And we both know you don't have a dog." I glared. "What were you doing in the woods last night?"

It didn't take long before Amy did what I knew she would eventually do. She stood up and took the fire poker from her bed, waving it around in front of me, she was demanding no more games, demanding the truth.

I couldn't help but laugh.

"The truth Amy? Games Amy? I would like to hear more about this imaginary boyfriend, I would like to hear as to why you are really here so far from home and alone as well. You swerved to hit an animal Amy, you crashed your car, I saved you, this is my home and I have told you who I am, even the Sheriff came around and you decided to stay here, so which is it Amy, if that is even your real name, do you want to leave? I will let you out, or perhaps you want to kill me and take my home as your own?" I let her have it, I had of course been far more honest than she had been, far more open.

I back off, even though that poker won't hurt me, if she hit me or stabbed me just right she would see how fast I heal, "I told you I was looking for my dog" I repeat.

He was silent the entire time until I finished speaking. He walked toward me in silence. I jumped suddenly when he started laughing. I wondered if this was the best plan of action. The sound of his laughter sent chills up my spine. His condescending words were making my head hurt. His voice had a dangerous purr to it and I wasn't going to fall for his tricks.

"No..." I mumbled. "No!" I said, a little louder this time. "I know what you're trying to do. You are trying to turn this around. You are trying to confuse me." I was shaking more now. He backed off slightly but his words weren't reassuring. "I'm not alone. You'll see. I'm sure he'll be here any minute looking for me." I didn't know what to do from there. I could hit him and run. That's the only thing I could do.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. I didn't trust him and I knew that he wasn't telling me the truth. But I still didn't like to hurt people. I closed my eyes and ran toward him with the fire poker. I meant to hit him on the head. Just to knock him out. When I missed and hit him on the side of the neck, I heard a sickening snap.

"Oh my god... Oh my god..." I started to panic. Tears were streaming down my face. I think I killed him... I didn't mean to kill him. I dropped the piece of iron and I bent down to check his pulse.

Back
Top Bottom