Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fortune Favours the Bold {Roses & Vega}

The garden was eerily quiet. She could even hear the wind as it breezed past her leaving a feeling of vague coolness. Her gaze travelled up from her lap and fixed on the pristine lake in front of her house. It was so serene. So beautiful, that if weren't for the biting cold, she would be swimming peacefully allowing the water to calm her nerves.

Angelique had managed to get past her eighteenth birthday without too much fuss. Her sister Emeliee and her fiancé Claude had bought her a rather ostentatious gold and sapphire necklace. Her mother and father had bought her an i-pad. Her best friend Natalie bought her a new journal and a collection of pens. There had been no party, just dinner at the Lefèvre family house. Which was rather shocking since Madeline Lefèvre was known to throw high-class, grand parties even for little ocassions. But it seemed like that her youngest daughter's eighteenth birthday was not an event to be celebrated after all.

Not that Angelique minded a single bit; in fact she was fairly pleased when she had descended downstairs in her new white sundress, only to find the dining hall empty of foreign faces. The gifts had been a little overwhelming but besides that, her birthday had slipped away smoothly.

However, she felt empty. She had expected her birthday to be special. No, she did not expect anything from anyone nor did she want anything. She had only thought that being eighteen would make her feel free. Free from the choking grasp of her parents, the society, her peers...everyone. She thought it would allow her to make choices. Like in what colour she wanted her toothbrush to be; what she wanted to eat, when she wanted to eat...and above all: what she wanted to be.

How wrong was she. She had felt no difference in her parents' behaviour tonight. Her mother was still whining over going to Dubai with her friends which her indifferent father - who was too absorbed in the newspaper - declined to. Emeliee was fixing her perfect make-up while Claude stuffed in the delicacies. Natalie didn't allow Angelique to move from the couch as she gave an animated - and detailed - account of her boyfriend's new car - and how they had 'inaugurated' the car in the backseat.

All in all, it made her feel empty. This was how she was going to spend her existence; - she didn't refer what she lived as life because of the monotone state of it - safely cooped up in some rich man's manor who would be more interested in stock market than her. The only worry in her life would be her looks and trips to exotic places. Pathetic.

An ancient sigh escaped her lips as she tightened the worn out shawl around her thin frame. Sometimes she wondered what would it be like if she were to run away. Would her parents search for her? Would they be worried? Would they miss her?...She knew that only the first question got a positive answer.

They wouldn't search for her because of worry or love or care. No, those were the 'low-life feelings' as her mother called it. They would only search for her for their honour. What would the people say when hear that the daughter of one of the top lawyers in America ran away? Yes, they would find her and punish her so badly that she wouldn't ever think of running away.

Because that's how her life was. Because that's how she was: Pathetic.

Jack was a young man that had been living at the, let see if we could find a good fitting word... poor, scum blocks all his life. He and together with some other children had grew up together. Jack wasn't sad about his childhood, he knew already by an age of seven how to take care of himself and made sure to take care of others. Most of the times did he live in a small house together with a lot of others. No one took anything from him as long it was on him. That was the rules they was playing by.

Today was a bit different from other days. He was in the better side of town, trying to get some money. In the end of the day had nothing worked and Jack felt his stomach growl loud. He wasn't a cute child any more and the nice people didn't want to give away their money on something like him. Jack felt the cold, disgusting looks he got from them. The hate for what he was and why he was here. Jack's stomach hurt from the lack of a good dinner. He sigh deep and looked around.
There was no one near him or... Jack saw a stand with fresh breads. No one was near it or paying attentions to him. It was now or never.

He sneaked up and took a small bread, but the baker saw him and shouted;
"THIEVES!"
Jack began to run as fast he could. He didn't really paying attention where he was going, he was just trying to get away from the guards. But one thing did he realise... He was running towards some really big houses. Jack hurried up as he looked behind him. The guards was no where to be see. He looked forward, just as he run inside a wide bush. Chocked did he fell forward, landed on his face. Jack moaned in pain, and in his head did he curse himself that he might ruin his already bad clothes even more.

CRASH!

Angelique jumped, startled by the sudden noise behind her. It was follwed by strangled moan of pain. Assured that the noise was humane, she got up from the bench and dropped her shawl on it. Taking a tentative towards the bushes she spotted a boy lying on his stomach, crushing her mother's favourite aster bushes. She almost smiled thinking of her mother's angered features upon discovering the disaster.

A sound cross between a gasp and a giggle escaped her lips, as she approached the boy like someone would approach a wounded animal.

His clothes were torn and dirty and his dark hair was a wild mess. She instantly recognized him as one of the 'black area' dweller.

'Black area' - according to Madeline Lefèvre - was the dirtier, low-class place of their town where all dirty, low-class people lived. Her mother had also told Angelique that she would break her limbs if she were to find her 'associating' with any of those scums.

Pushing aside her thoughts, she hitched up her white dress just above her knees and kneeled beside the mysterious boy.

"Hello, are you alive?" She asked softly her face bemused.

He moaned light in pain. How in the world do I managed to get myself into this? Jack thought and push himself up when he heard a clear, sweet voice. He looked up. Beside him was there a girl around his age, dressed in a nice white dress. She was kneeling beside him and she seemed to enjoy herself. Jack felt himself getting all red in his face.
"Yes Miss, thank you... I... I am sorry, for..." Jack looked around. Noticing the huge garden. "...for the interrupt. I didn't watch my step."
He took up the smashed bread that he had landed on and was just about to thinking to leave when he heard a lot of footsteps nearby.
"Oh shit..." He whisper and became all stiff.
Please don't let them have dogs...

Angelique giggled softly when she saw the young man redden beneath the layer of dirt which obstructed her to see his face clearly. Her eyes drifted to the piece of bread he held and her face fell. She felt bad for the boy and was going to offer him something to eat when she heard footsteps nearby.

A curse fell from the lips of the stranger and she understood the whole situation. "Shh..Stay here" She pressed her forefinger to her lips and got up. Walking to front she searched for whoever was there chasing her intruder.

He didn't dare move. Jack looked around. Oh, he felt so lost... He watched the girl leave. She was a away a long moment. Jack took the chance to eat some of the bread. Of course would he share it with the others too when he came back there, but right now was he stilling the worst hungry.
He heard the police men walked by here again saying;
"We lost him..."
Jack felt a knot in his stomach lose up a bit and breathed out. What every the young lady and said so had it work. He was grateful.

Suddenly, her search was sated when two burly police-men advanced toward her angrily. They must have recognized who she was, as their demeanor sobered up visibly. She crossed her hands in front of her and jutted out her chin, imitating her mother when she addressed to 'low-level' people.

"Miss," they practically bowed to her as one of them spoke with reverence, "there's been a theft...and we fear that the culprit is hiding in your gardens..."

"Oh really?" She cut him off sharply, "You doubt that our security guards roaming inside this property will let him hide here? You doubt my father's choice of security, huh? Well let me tell you, those guards are one of America's best...Much better than you all corrupt pigs." Her lips pressed into a tight line while her eyes challenged them to retort.

They both cringed at her words before announcing that they had lost the boy. They bowed an apology - to which she just nodded curtly - and practically dashed out of her father's property.

The truth was that they did not have any security guards. But really, who cared if she lied a little bit?

Her breath came out in a whoosh as she relaxed out of her superior demeanor. Turning back, she hastened to the boy - part of her lighting up when she saw him still sitting there - and knelt beside him. It was also not missed by her how he took a little, tentative bite of the damaged bread.

"Hi." She gave him a small and timid smile while tucking one of her blonde strands behind her diamond studded ear.

Jack looked at the girl knelt down beside him again. What have I get myself into this time... He felt bad for getting into this garden, but still grateful that the guards was away.
"I should get going..." Jack said and looked up at him. She was gorgeous with her blond hair. The diamonds she had in her ears told him that this really was another part of the town than he was used to. "Thank you, miss for not telling the police I was here."

Jack began to slowly rise up. His ankle hurt like crazy and he tried to hide it as good he could. Jack gave her a small smile. "Thank you once again. I need to get going."

"Wait!" Angelique shot up alarmed. "Please wait..." She continued rather pathetically, "I...Let me get you something to eat." She said while looking deeply into his eyes. They were stormy grey with green swirls in them. Like they couldn't decide which colour they wanted to be. Wise grey or vibrant green. She found herself lost in his orbs. A tingling feeling arose in her chest and she almost felt lightheaded. Her face morphed into an intense expression, and her words came out firm and demanding. Like she was ordering him. "Please," she said, "stay. I know you are hungry. I have plenty of cake inside; let me bring that for you....Please."

Her eyes was one of the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. They was enchanting him. Jack didn't knew what he would say. To be close such a wonderful young lady was strange, new... and scaring. She had all power in the world, and he had none. But Jack nodded. He would wait until she came back, eat a little and then leave. The others must be wondering where he was. Jack looked away. He couldn't keep his eyes still at hers for a long time like that.
"I will wait..." Jack answer in a low whisper.

"Thanks..." She felt slightly stupid - and desperate - for thanking him, even though it was her doing the favour. She got up and started towards her house. "I'll be back in a minute! Wait there." She threw the words over her shoulder and broke into a run. Adrenaline pumped through her body as she imagined her parent's reaction if they would ever find whom she was associating with. A wild giggle escaped her lips as she threw open the kitchen's back door and switched on the lights, finding it empty.
Yes, their expression would be priceless.

---

After a few minutes of wild packing, Angelique waddled down to the garden. It was quite difficult with five large tiffins, - stuffed with every leftover she could get her hands upon - as she balanced them in her small hands.

He did look around in the garden. Hoped that no one would come and kick him out. Jack saw the young lady come back with a lot of things. A really much things. He blinked and hurried up to help her. The last thing he wanted was to have her falling and hit herself. Is all of these filled with food? Oh... how much things doesn't these people have?

She shot him a breathless grin as he took the containers from her hands. She stretched them and winced at the soreness that had begun to engulf her arms. Looking up at him, realization settled into her. That was it. He would go now. Taking away all the excitement, all the thrill she felt. A sad shadow ghosted across her procelain face as she averted her gaze. "W-what's your name?" She asked meekly as she began playing with a strand of her hair.

He knelt down and took away one of the top from the container. "It is Jack, miss." He answer and looked down on the food. "I can't eat all this alone..."
What was she thinking with? This was too much food for just one person and he couldn't take it with him.

"Jack..." The name fell from her lips like a prayer. A prayer with longing. She chastised herself for being such an open book. "Y-you can take it to your place. I bet your family's hungry too..." She looked up at him, her eyes shining with sincerity. Her lips tugged into a small smile as she soaked in the awkward pause. Her features begged him to break the silence as she shifted her weight from one foot to another.

(I'm sorry for being such a dork. I just took part in this stupid exchange program in my college and had to spend my precious free time hanging out with math geeks. Again, I apologize for being a dork.)

(It is okay. No worried)

Jack gave her a small smile back. "Thank you, miss. But I can't take it with me. The police will take me if I have something like this on me." He sat down and open one. There was some chicken in it.
"I... I will just borrow one. I promise, promise you will get it back." Jack looked up at the beautiful girl. "I promise."

"The police won't -", her protest died down as she realized that the police would indeed mind. She sighed - sadly and heavily. "At least, take a bread or two. Please, it will make me feel better. And besides...Today's my birthday...so you cannot deny...me." She finished pathetically.

(thanks. You're the best)

Jack's eyes went wide and he rose up. He made a deep bow. "Happy birthday Miss. If I knew beforehand that it was your birthday so would I have brought you a gift. The prettiest flower to a beautiful young woman." Jack gave her a small smile. "Unfortunaly do I need to go, it getting late and I am sure you have a fun party to go to. Thank you Miss for the bread. I am very grateful," Jack took up the bread. "Thank you once again."

Angelique blushed deeply at his appreciation. 'Beautiful' was a word which had been thrown at her many a time. But hearing it from Jack's mouth made her feel it. He was sincere with his words. She could bet her stamp collection on that.

Her features saddened when she realized that he was leaving. She lifted her face, to make him stay back for some more time; but then her mother's voice pierced the air, making her jump: "Angelique! Where are you?"

She shot Jack an alarmed look and then stuffed all the containers in his hands. "Take as many as you can. Leave the rest behind the bush." She grabbed her shawl and pulled it around her body tightly. She looked into his eyes for an indefinite amount of time, while something inside of her shifted. She was suddenly aching for him, and the feel he seemed to be emitting.

Throwing all the caution to the winds, she stood on her tiptoes and pressed her lips against his cheek. Past the veil of dust, she felt chiseled features of a handsome boy. She pulled away, and then with a long lingering glance, she sprinted off to her house. Away from the boy with the bread.

There was a small, sad smile on her lips as she saw her mother coming out of the mansion.

The suddenly shout made him jump just like her. Soon, faster than his mind could think was he on his way running home again. He was chocked by the kiss and was blushing deep as he thought about it. The girl was wonderful and he was nothing. Jack had come to his place of the town and did run upstairs to an attic where he use to stay. In there was one of his friends. A small little boy around seven. His blond hair is pointing in all directions.
"Hey Malcom." Jack smiled and walks up to him.
"Jack! I thought they took you..."
"No." He sat down beside the boy and held out one of the chicken wings and a bread. Malcom's eyes went wide and a huge smiled light up his face. "Ate up. I will give some of the others."

Jack did soon come back to Malcom that was still smiling. "You want some more?" He asked.
Malcom shook his head. "No that is okay, what about you Jack?"
Jack held up the bread. "I have more."
"Where did you get everything?"
"I can do magic..." He smiled and sat down beside Malcom again. His mind went back to the nice young lady. Who was she?

NEXT DAY

"So, what do you think?..." Natalie sighed when she did not earn any response from her friend, who seemed to be very interested in the scenery the bus passed passed by.

"Angie?" She clicked her fingers in front of the blonde's face, causing her to jump.

"What?!" Angelique gasped and smacked Natalie on her shoulder.

"I've been talking, like the whole bus ride and you scarcely heard me." Natalie crossed her hands infront of her chest and glared.

"I'm sorry...I was just...distracted." Angelique sighed and leaned back in her seat.

"Did you and Mark had a fight?" Natalie's face dropped as she thought about her best friend's relationship. Angelique and Mark had been dating since five years. They should be happily in love; except they weren't.

Mark flirted with every other chick he came across. It killed Angelique. She claimed that she didn't care about her boyfriend's habits because she was one the he loved, and in the end it was her to whom he came back. But Natalie could see through her smiles. After all it was her shoulder Angelique cried upon whenever she saw Mark taking it too far with some whore.

"For Christ's sake, Nat! We did not fight this time. Does my relationship look that bad?" Angelique shot her a grimace.

"Well, if we put aside the romance, understanding, trust and chemistry part...then it's just perfect." The brunette replied with a sardonic smile.

Amelique rolled her eyes at her best friend and shifted back to her musings. Her mind drifting off to the boy with the bread.

He had went to the work dealer and had managed to get a quick job at one of the school. It was to clean all the toilets, corridors and classroom. But who cares that it was a shitty job. It was something that would give him money. Jack told Malcom to be careful and went way to the school.

What Jack hadn't expect was it to be one of the finest school in this part of the land. Everything was already so clean that he was afraid that his footprints was making marks where he walked. Soon did he find the janitor that made him pick all the trash outside to begin with. Car after car came and young teens came walking by him. Some nice school bus came to the school to drop of the students too. Suddenly did he feel a hard push on his back and Jack fell to the ground with his face first. He really needed to learn how to land better. When he laid there did he hear a clear;
"Go back where you came from, scum!"

"C'mon! Tell me, what is it?" Natalie whined as they strolled out of the bus into the humongous parking lot of Stratford High, one of the the most prestigious schools of America.

Angelique barely acknowledged her friend as her eyes drifted through the area, searching for her boyfriend. The earlier conversation had fueled the perpetual spark of insecurity in her chest and she found herself all tensed up as she looked for Mark. For once, she let the mysterious boy of last night drift away from her mind.

She found him, with his group of friends, picking on some poor janitor who lay sprawled on the ground. Natalie snorted at the scene as they advanced towards Mark and his group.

Angelique shot the brunette a dirty look and straightened her pleated skirt which brushed past her mid-thighs. In a few long strides, she crossed the distance between her and her boyfriend stood next to him.

"What's happening over here?" Her voice cut through snickers and insults sharply, gaining the attention of the whole group.

Jack held his arms over his stomach to protect himself. Suddenly did they stop as a light voice was asking what was going on. He looked up quick and saw it was the girl some yesterday. Jack stood up.
"Nothing miss... I just was a bit clumsy and fell..."
He didn't want anyone to be angry with him and tell the head janitor he was fighting. Some blood ran down from his chin. Jack draw it away with his hand as the school bell rang in for class. He smiled light and began to walk away.

Everybody looked down at her. Angelique stared back evenly, not a bit intimidated by their tall frames towering over her small, fragile one. Only an idiot would try to mess with Marcus Voltaire's girl.

"Hey babe," Mark began as wrapped his big arms around her waist, "we were just showing this worthless piece of shit his place. Really-" His voice was cut off when Angelique pushed out of his embrace and started off toward the janitor, her stance like someone aproaching a wounded animal. Oddly, she had a deja vu of last night.

The poor boy lifted himself off the ground and Angelique stopped; looking up at him with disbelief and surprise and shock and...a bit of happiness to be honest. She had thought that she would never see the boy with the bread ever again. But there he was. Standing in the janitor's uniform with blood dripping down his chin.

His features, which had been concealed with darkness and dust last night, were gazing down at her as the sun shone on them. He was quite handsome; and if he were of some higher level, Angelique was sure that every girl in the school would be swooning after him.

His eyes looked even more enhanced in the broad daylight and she had to avert her gaze to avoid the intensity in them.

She had been so engrossed in her musings that she couldn't hear what he had said; or that the bell had rung. She looked around and was shocked to find that they were the only ones in the parking lot. Not even Mark had waited for her.

Light footsteps made her realize that he was walking away.

"Wait! Jake...No, Jack. Wait." She hurried after him and clutched his arm. A mental shiver ran through her as she touched his bare skin. Homeroom be damned.

Back
Top Bottom