Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blood, Sand, and Mechs - a Sci-Fi RP (Updated w/full description)

Trixie

Super-Earth
NOTE: Looking for one more player at least! Preferably female, with one woman and two men so far.

The Premise

In the year 2225, Earth has been deprived of most of its resources. Great advancements in technology have been made, but at the cost of increasing the rate of global desolation -- most of the icecaps are gone, global temperatures are rising, shorelines are shrinking, with multiple cities such as Venice and New Orleans long abandoned and underwater as a result.

Forward-thinking scientists in the previous century had pushed for greater money towards interstellar research and possible travel, gaining money not only from federal governments, but also certain industrialists that got rich off killing one planet, and were now looking for something else.

Some few decades later, they found it.

Designated Habitable Planet 002 -- given the common name of Diadem -- it was not only determined to be habitable by humans with a bit of terraforming, but was also close enough to be a viable trip -- 4 years in the fastest ships Earth could produce.

So plans were hatched to make the trip there, and to begin the largest undertaking in all of human history.

This was 60 years ago.

The northern hemisphere of Diadem -- an abnormally hot planet where the northern hemisphere was temperate at best in the northern climes, and scorching desert around the equator -- has been settled by all kinds. Miners, engineers, surveyors, businessmen, traders, and finally, soldiers. Fifteen large cities currently dot one continent, and all kinds make their way to the resource-rich Sand Belt, the scorching equator, to power the rest of the planet and deliver goods back to Earth. Soldiers in high-tech mechanical suits -- as tall as ten meters in the largest cases -- protect mining operations, and defend against the harsher wildlife that populate the Sand Belt.

However, there exists a growing faction of separatists in the southern hemisphere, colonists, soldiers, and all other types that intend to colonize rather than pillage the planet dry. Personified by bandits that use the sand to their advantage in the Sand Belt, and steal technology from the northern hemisphere, such as mechanical suits and weaponry.

The Roleplay

Roleplay Thread Link

The RP will be long-term in nature, and revolve around a small group of soldiers employed by one of the northern mining operations, and a larger conflict that will come to sweep all of Diadem in its wake.

Characters

Character Profiles Link

RP will center on the forces of Kaiser Company, a mech unit that operates out of the mining city of Ganymede just north of the Sand Belt. The squad is headed by Aleta Rook (my own character) and so far features two other corporals.

However! We are still open to accepting a couple more members.

We need: A sergeant, and one other corporal.

As far as characters go, here's what is NOT allowed.

• Complex AIs
  • Aliens
  • Ranks of Lt. or higher -- they wouldn't be part of the same squad with another Lt.

We do, however, allow a few interesting things!

• Cyborgs -- from having a mechancial hand to being a brain in a life-like robotic body
  • Genetic splicing -- one of our dudes is part shark, so genetic diversity is A-Okay!

Plus, bog standard humans! Yaaaay.

Mechs

Obviously the lynchpin of our RP. Mechs are designated E-###, and are most similar to the NEXTs of Armored Core. Sustained flight is limited to light craft such as reconnaissance units, and only so many weapons can be carried.

Additionally, mechs have to be humanoid in nature, having a humanlike shape (two legs, two hands) despite the robots being anywhere between 7-10 meters tall. They can be unusually stocky (7 meters tall and very wide) or very lanky (10 meters tall and very thin) but they have to retain the shape.

Beyond that, weaponry from grenade launchers, high-powered sniper rifles, and certain types of lasers are alright here. It's less anime super robot and more standardized military vehicles -- there are no super prototypes or off-the-wall vehicles like the E-666 Fuckslayer with tactical nukes.

If you're unsure, feel free to bring it up in here!

RE: Blood, Sand, and Mechs - a Sci-Fi RP

C: A combination of both smaller mechs, and the occasional larger mech for special situations. We can start out as two-character teams or solo pilots, depending on the size of the machine and what's needed. And, of course, all mechs can be moved by just one pilot, but they won't be even half as effective in combat or what-not without the full crew, be it one person or four.

I don't think so. There's probably mechanical suits and things of that nature, but nothing too major.

While most of the anime Musumes are a little too ridiculous for something where realism isn't thrown to the wind, Power Armor/Battle Armor seems like the next best thing if you want to go for something of that size. Might be a problem over larger distances but having one in the squad would be good for stealth or indoor infiltration.

Hmmm, I went with the same mecha that Trixie had because I thought we were going to use the same unit across the board, but if we're going to use different units, I'm going to want to change mecha.

I figure I'll hit a few notes here while I have the chance! I forgot to edit the original post to make an outline for the world as a whole (technology levels, the makeup of the EOREF, etc.)

1. BlackestKnight -- We're almost ready to begin, just had to handle a few things.

2. I've spoken with Alura about the mechanical suit thing, but I think she's going to pass on this.

3a. As far as mechs go, I'd really prefer if we kept things bipedal in nature. Units don't have to be the same model or even serve the same functions, but having exactly one animal-like mech in all of Kaiser Company (our characters and beyond) doesn't seem feasible from the standpoint of storing, outfitting, engineering, etc.

3b. Everything from super speedy hit-and-run mechs to infiltrators to heavy bombardment to recon/sniper mechs. Squad makeup could work any which way, really.

4. I didn't initially plan for heavy cyborgification -- which is a word now -- or genetic modification, but those won't be a problem. I'm down for them. The only thing I'm not keen on allowing is actual AI outside of, say, one for an entire battleship or military installation. I don't think they'd be super common at all.

5. As for ranks, I'm going with a super simplified version of military ranks, as it applies to Kaiser Company:

1 captain (oversees administration) 1 lieutenant (oversees all mech units and combat operations) a sergeant to every mech unit (Cain serving as our unit's, for example), and corporals filling out the ranks.

It's not super representative of the actual military, but we're two centuries and change into the future on another planet, with the EOREF serving more as a PMC to the mining operations, so it doesn't need to be. Plus, it's an RP.

Oh, and 6! Jackdlemon, feel free to come up with a character and put it into the profiles thread. Here's a link!

I think that got everything.

For storing of the Fenrir I had imagined an upright position where the back legs are folded in (and then spring out when activated) and the front legs run down the length of the body. As far as outfitting he's got pretty standard missile racks and a loading bay for bombs and whatnot. The jaw's a simple pressure clamp. The biggest reason the model appealed to me is because it's got 6 jump jets, spring-loaded limbs and looks aerodynamic as fuck. I don't see any reason why a thing like that couldn't break supersonic.

Point being I doubt he'd need any special engineer attention aside from a handbook on his wiring (which any different mech model would be privy to).
But if you want to keep things humanoid for fluff reasons regardless, I suppose I can see if I can find something similar.

Back
Top Bottom