Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Land of the Dead. (Cr0ssy994 x Risky_Business)

Cr0ssy994

Moon
One year. That’s how long it’s been since the world went to hell. It started off small, reports of people seemingly coming back to life after fatal injuries. But they weren't the same person they were before. They were violent, with just one instinct. To eat. Specifically anything living. Humans, dogs, cats, anything they could get their hands on. Soon reports started to crop up of more of the ‘undead’, as they were being called. Apparently people that survived attacks soon died, and then came back. At first the military seemed to control it, quarantining those who were infected.
It didn't work. Soon the undead were spreading like wildfire across the country, infecting more and more people. Reports came in of similar situations across the globe. Terms such as ‘The Apocalypse’ and ‘The end of the world’ were being thrown about. One by one countries went dark, their communications cut off as the whole world seemed to fall into a state of anarchy. In a matter of weeks global communications had ceased. In a few months communication for the country had gone dark. The army, the government, any form of organised resistance against the undead fell. It soon became every man for himself.

After one year, Jack O’Connor is still alive. If that’s what you could call it. He wandered, alone and cut off from any human contact. His days were spent looking for food, water, any shelter that looked safe. For the first five months after civilisation collapsed, he was doing just fine. He’d taken his wife and daughter and ran. Most people fled into the cities, towards refugee centres. But Jack fled to the country, and it proved the right choice. The cities soon fell and he was on the run, doing whatever he had to. His one goal was to keep his family alive. But it all went wrong so quickly.
He’d left his family in the car while he searched a supermarket for anything that could help. Before he knew it his daughter’s screams were echoing out. In an instant he’d drew a pistol he’d looted and was bolting to the doors. He couldn’t believe the scene before him. A group of at least fifty walkers, as he called them, were swarming the car, dragging his screaming family out. He fired off a few shots but there was no way he could help them. All he could hear were the screams, and he could see the occasional spray of blood. The last he heard of them was his daughter screaming for him. He couldn’t even get close enough to get a shot off, to put them out of their misery, make sure they didn’t turn. After that he ran. He avoided people for the next seven months. He didn’t want the responsibility of looking after someone. He couldn’t even save his own wife and daughter, let alone anyone else. Every morning he woke up and looked at his gun, wondering why he kept on going. Was it because he thought he had failed them and needed to suffer his penance? Every morning was the same, he’d look at his gun and consider ending it. Ending it all.

This morning was no different. He’d slept in an abandoned cabin in the woods, with the furniture barricading the door and windows. He’d eaten a few pieces of fruit he’d picked a few days ago and sipped water from a small canteen, which he then packed into a small satchel. In there was several pieces of food, various types of ammo, a few survival tools and a homemade pistol silencer. He wore a pair of black jeans, with a knife and pistol belted to his waist, a white t-shirt underneath a black shirt and a pair of sturdy boots. When he was ready he pulled on a black jacket with pockets full of ammo. He slung his satchel over his shoulder, he preferred it because it didn’t slow him down as much as a large rucksack, and he set out. As he walked his eyes scanned his surroundings, noting the signs of people, walkers and various animals. He was doing just fine till about midday, when he heard screams. In a flash his hand was at his pistol l and he drew it, holding it in front of him with both hands as he made his way toward the screams. He avoided travelling with people, but he would help them if need be.

Things were.. different, to say the least. It was difficult for anyone to adjust. Molly Locke would have never guessed this would actually happen, even after all the movies and comics she had read about. But it did. Never say never. She would have never guessed that the 4 year bachelor degree she had been working so hard for, would no longer matter. Her family and friends were no longer a phone call away. It had made her regret things she should have done when she had the chance. She spent most of her time thinking about all her regrets.

Molly grew up in a small town but had dreams of living in a big city. Her father, a strict military vet, had taught her as much as he could about survival. Molly dreaded those lessons. Shooting range and some quick lessons on tracking in the woods, what berries to eat, how to make shelter. You name it. But if there was one thing her father always taught her, it was to "be prepared." When she had decided after high school to move to the city for college, her family was reluctant. It was far from home, her mother pleaded with her to attend state college but Molly refused. The dreams she had of living in the city were to close to becoming her reality to give up. Her father rarely showed emotion though she knew he loved her. He accepted her decisions.

She had been living in the city for 4 years now and now called it home. When the outbreak in her town hit she was on her way home from her 6 pm class and it was dark. She had just pulled up to her apartment complex and before she could make it to her building door, she saw one. Trapped in the entry way hall that led to all the apartments. She could remember the screams coming from the building. Molly had left the building reluctantly, her roommate should have been home and after several calls that failed she gave up hope. She had called all her loved ones, her father and mother. Sisters, her brothers and nothing. She was almost paralyzed with fear, the sadness that her family could be gone and she was so far away. Guilt ran over her and the only thing she could think of was to drive home so she did.

She drove for what seemed like forever, the roads were jam blocked with abandoned cars but she pressed on, determined to get home but her attempts seemed to fail again when the highway roads became too blocked. She made her way through the small town which seemed desolate and empty. What was happening? She could barely believe what she was seeing. Her car drove slowly down the road. Her eyes wondered around her as she looked for any life and then she heard it. The puttering of her car as it ran out of gas. She needed to search for gas, anything. Before leaving her car she grabbed her 'survival pack,' the one thing her father made her promise to do and right now, she couldn't be happier he did. Clothes, a few bottled waters, dried food, first aid Swiss army knife and gun.

She walked through the town for hours before coming upon an empty gas station. As she walked closer she saw a little boy sitting alone. She had no choice but to help him, where were his parents? He had said they got sick. Molly got the gas and took the boy back to her car and it was them for days until they came upon a group of 10 people. Men, women and even 2 children. They accepted her and Logan. And they were fine, night were tough but they kept their ground. They had kept things quiet, searched for food in the town during the day in groups. They had a system going which seemed to be going great until that night.

Molly was gathering wood in the forest when she heard the screams. She turned, dropping the bundle of wood and ran towards the camp and as she ran over the hill, fucking walkers everywhere. She heard scream after scream. Molly grabbed her bag from her tent, leaning against the tent and grabbed her gun before she walked towards the walker. Bang, bang, bang. Three in the head. "LOGAN!" Molly screamed as she moved closer into the camp, killing as many undead as she could. "Logan!" She couldn't see Logan, she couldn't see anybody. She had no choice to run. She shot at a walker. "Over here! Hey!" She was screaming, trying to taunt the walkers towards her in hopes it would save someone's life. They began to wards her, she grabbed her backpack, slinging it over her shoulder before she took off into the woods.

Molly was fast, she zipped by trees and moved swiftly. She was in the zone until she saw a tall figure a few feet away in the woods. She stopped, her feet sliding on the ground beneath her. She pulled out her fun and aimed it, looking deep in the woods. She let out a whistle as she hid herself behind a tree, her eye out from the corner as she waited for the unmask figure to appear.

Jack had reached into his bag and retrieved his silencer, which he slowly attached to the barrel of his pistol. It was something he had done so often over the past year, he didn't even think about it. He just acted. As he moved forwards slowly he noticed a few walkers who had also heard the screams. He took three out with a muffled gunshot each before moving on. He cursed when he heard the gunshots and the shouting. The sound would attract nearly every walker in the whole damn forest. He shot a few more walkers before speeding up. Moving at a jog, he noticed someone running through the forest in his direction. A woman. And definitely not a walker, he could tell by the way she moved. To fluid, not the slow staggering of the undead. They both of them seemed to stop at the same time, then she quickly slipped behind a tree.
"Hey!" He whispered as loudly as he dared. He could see even more walkers in the distance, heading towards the commotion. Thankfully he hadn't been spotted yet, but he didn't want to push his luck, so he approached the woman slowly, his hands raised. "I'm not a walker, okay? I can help you." He offered as he passed the tree slowly, keeping his distance. People did stupid things when they were scared. He noticed a few walkers staggering their way but he didn't want to startle the woman in front of him, so he didn't act just yet. instead he held his hand out to her. "I can help, but you need to come with me. It's not safe here anymore." He spoke quietly and calmly, the sincerity of his words showing in his hazel eyes. They didn't have much time and if they wanted to live they'd have to move soon.

Molly kept her back pressed tightly against the tree, she knew better than to trust a stranger. They were just as dangerous as walkers. She watched him slowly as he came around the tree. She observed him, her eyes wide. Her gun was fixated on him as he came around the tree, but when she heard him say he'd help, she felt the sincerity in his voice. She lowered her gun, looking around and taking in her surroundings. She counted the walkers in the distance, the placement of the trees and the way to camp.

"Logan." She muttered out, "he's still back there, I couldn't find him. I promised him I would always protect him." She muttered out, her eyes swelled with tears which she quickly pushed back. She couldn't believe this was happening, that their 'home' had been overrun. She was far off in her, she couldn't get the screams out of her head but most importantly she broke her promise. "I let him down." She said to herself under her breath. She prayed in her head that he was safe, that he got away or someone saved him. "We need to go back there, NOW. They need my help!" She said over to the stranger. She pointed in the direction she ran from, "our camp is back there. We don't have any time to waste. Please, if you're going to help me.. we need to go right now." She said hastily.

Jack could see the look in the woman's eyes, the panic and the worry all mixed together. Before she said it he knew that there was someone she cared about back there. But he knew they couldn't go back, not yet anyway. He could see more and more walkers in the distance, heading in the direction she pointed to. They'd never get close, especially considering there were several already staggering towards them.

"We can't," He began as he shot two walkers in quick succession. "See all those walkers, they're heading towards your camp. If you go now you'll just end up dead. The best you can do is wait, survive and then pick up the trail in the morning." He explained after pointing out the walkers in the distance. "I take it there was more than the two of you, so someone will have this Logan. Is he your son?" Several more gunshots echoed through the forest, startling them. "We need to go now, it's not safe and only going to get worse." Jack said after she replied, gesturing for her to follow him. He'd take her back to the cabin, hunker down for the night and then help her find her people in the morning. As soon as they found them he'd be gone. Back to wandering alone. People just slowed him down these days, just created more complications.

Molly got herself together, realizing the zombies that were now clearly aware of the two of them. She looked back in the direction of camp and knew there was no way of getting back there, at least not right now. She looked at him and nodded, following him further into the woods and away from the walkers. They walked for awhile, she followed him and kept a look out. They walked for an hour before she saw a cabin about a mile in the distance. It was midday and coming up to night fall, the woods were quiet and a breeze blew through the trees. The crickets had begun to sing and for a moment she felt at piece.

Molly finally broke the silence, "He's not my son.. but I'm the closest thing he has to family left and same for me. We found each other after the outbreak." She said softly. She had little hope that someone was with him, she didn't have much faith in her group still being alive from the amount of walkers but for Logan, she kept hope. "Where are your people?" She asked, "don't tell me you've been out here alone.." She said, she knew it was a very high possibility. He had looked like he'd been alone for awhile.

A humourless smile crept over Jack's face as she mention 'his people'. He didn't have any people nor did he want any. It had been just over three months since he'd had any human contact, spoken to someone, actually touched a living human. He didn't think about it much. He couldn't afford to, thoughts like that always led him back to his family and how he failed them. "I don't have any people. Haven't had for a long time." He explained simply as they walked. He didn't want her to think he'd stick around. As soon as she was reunited with what was left of her group he'd move on, alone. He couldn't understand how people could just forget about those they loved, and just as easily accept someone else. There was a small part of him that lingered on the subject, wondering what it would be like to have someone, to not be alone. He pushed the thoughts from his head, focusing on the task at hand and keeping alert for walkers.

They finally made it to the cabin a small building with just two rooms. A kitchen and living room in one, and a small bedroom. When they were inside Jack closed the door and pushed a heavy wardrobe over it. Glancing out the window he noticed that it was already starting to get dark, the sun dipping towards the horizon. "The place has been picked clean, but there's some food in here if you need it." He explained, putting his satchel on the small dining table. "There's a bed in the other room if you want, I'll keep first watch." He spoke coldly, very matter of fact, as he moved over to the window, sitting down in an armchair next to it. Outside seemed quiet now, but for the moaning and shuffling of the walkers.

Molly followed him, her eyes peeled for any sign of walkers. Her ears reacted to every branch breaking in the woods. Her ears and eyes were keen, adapted to this world and the practice her father had taught her, it stuck. She listened to him speak of his people, which turned out to be nobody. "You've been alone this whole time.. haven't you found any others?" She asked, she couldn't really blame him. It was easier alone, not having to deal with the loss and instantly she thought of Logan. "Logan was the first one I found.. he was alone and scared. I couldn't have left him like that... he needed me, he still does. God, I hope he's okay." Molly say out loud but more to herself.

They made it to the cabin and it was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't a palace but it was shelter, not a tent but a roof over their heads. She wished Logan could see this. She walked into the dark room that was only lit but the sun creeping through the windows, soon it would be dark as the sun set. She smiled at his generosity and nodded, "Thanks.. I don't think I could eat right now.." She said, her smile slowly fading from her face. She walked around the cabin before sitting on the old, plaid couch that was sunken it but better than the ground she had been sleeping on for a while. "So, is there where you stay? Or are you always on the move?" She asked, staring over at him as he watched intently out the window. Anything to break the silence.

Back
Top Bottom