Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Radiant Slither and the False God. (Clearsight, SomethingEsoteric)

SomethingEsoteric

Super-Earth
A sea of pale flesh, feted fingernails and teeth black as the bile that spewed from their every orifice and the veins that pulsated beneath, beady eyes alight with the most pitched of machinations and such ferocious tenacity one would surely believe them feral if not for the calculated and cruel competence in which they weaved through the fray. Ur-priests, while Hilde knew not first hand of them she’d been given warning by Cruvan such vile beings should be handled and met with only the most careful and respected of discretion. May have she been aware the moment they began pouring in like a swarm of flies from the belfries, up from between the pews, smashing through the windows screaming bloody murder in guttural and chortled wretches she could have been capable of such response – she’d not been aware though, no, Hilde’s awareness was dedicated to two relics of equal and opposite regard, one a Shard of the Sun, the other a bible bound gnarled blood soaked hide, written upon pages of dehydrated and cured flesh in ichor of unknown origin.

It was strange, like every word a twisted antonym to the tracts and tomes she carried upon her own person, to the tracts and tomes she’d read, wrote and printed over and over in her time as a young scribe. Each word called out to her and whispered like a sinister slither through her mind and spirit, while each was written in a calligraphy that could be understood the letters seemed somehow as twisted as the very messages they conceived like the madness of the author imbued each – her head was growing heavy and her vision similar, the disseminating text was just drawing her in closer, each horribly flaying word till a little tap at the jar she was enclosed by tried to interrupt her ”Hey Hilde..." she looked up, if only for a second with vacant stare and quirked lips, hushing the petulant elf before flashing forward a few pages to yet another disturbing sight, a visage of Pelor, as vacant and void as her own eyes, the sun a radiant slither in the sky, and the world did bleed black.

“… what in the seven hells is this…” Hilde muttered in a detached voice, her breathing picking up though the world outside was still as drawn out and unfamiliar as the world in ichor before her, “I know it means nothing to you buh-“

"How about we save the crazy bullshit for after people are done trying to kill us!"

Suddenly Hilde snapped back to this reality and looked up in shock, just in time to see blood already putrid and toxic spurting from a neck wound in the elves’ companion, lurid and cadaverous fingers dug deep to the knuckle as colour drained from the poor woman’s face, both their faces, Hilde’s and Avice’s as she doubled over to the floor choking on her own putrefying blood. “Pelor help us…” the paladin whispered before slamming the book closed – the sound drawing the eyes of every filthy Cretan in the room, the radiance of the Shard of the Sun just as soon turning them as Hilde charged, the text tucked between her arm and her shield in a binding, the shard down her shirt – radiating through the chain coif that clattered with every step, every clash of steel and wretched hack that followed, drowned out the sickliest slops of rotting flesh and the crash of sailing bodies splintering pews, splintering bones, tearing viscera and cleaved muscle, the crackling energies of variegated light that sheathed her blade and radiated along the breadth of her shield’s face.

They barely made it out of there with their lives… Avice had not been so fortunate but for now the shard was safe and that was their honour bound enterprise.

While they’d done it, all save return the shard – there was no cause for celebrations yet and even just the way she lived her life was hard sitting atop a burlap bedroll next to a smouldering fire, the Elf not far off.

”My good blade carves the casques of men… my tough lance thrusteth sure…” she whispered with a hand held close to her chest. ”My strength is as the strength of ten, because my heart is pure.” a crack in her voice, the poem went on, hushed as she could convey it line after line – a certain longing in her heart at the end of the first verse and into the second ”How sweet are looks that ladies bend, on whom their favors fall…” further still ”I never felt the kiss of love,” she paused upon the line and caught a sob before it could come to life – the rest of the poem upon which she based her life past, present and in time future upon recited quietly inside the confines of her mind till the very last Until I find the holy Grail…

The following morning packs and supplies were set away in silence much like the journey that brought them to this clearing, a short prayer was said for Avice and one shorter still for safe passage through the day as Hilde reached into her chain coif, the hood hanging listlessly down her back and rippling over the breadth of her shield. From within her breast, the felt tabard of soothing blue upon it, she withdrew a small roll of parchment with a wax seal and a brass face dangling – a tract of her accomplishments and her Diety’s also in hopes one as crestfallen as the village they’d left behind may find it in time of need and from its words they would draw hope, faith, solace.

“I…” she broke the silence after a long wordless trek, they were nearing the city – where the need has been created and Hilde could not stand it any longer. She’d been staring upon the woman for a long while from a few steps behind – a certain unfamiliar longing in her chest becoming more than just graining now. “I can’t help but feel…” Hilde continued in a somber voice, “That Avice’s sacrifice…” She groaned, “I feel somewhat responsible, and for that I am deeply sorry – it appeared to me you two were…” she swallowed hard and held the collar of her coif that still glowed from the radiance of the shard, “were ahm… arranged. The temple in Freelton needs this shard, for it, however – a lost life seems so… it doesn’t seem fair.” She confessed in her guilt.

Being an elf... Sometimes it just sucked. Valashya Sylvani had been born an elf several hundred years ago, though she had never bothered to keep track of just exactly how old she was, events marked her kinds life more than the short span of a year. Usually Valashya was appreciative of her heritage, even if her clan had been taken from her at an even younger age than her mere centuries of living, she had always loved her people. They were above other races, elegant and yet still strong, intelligent without sacrificing their leisure or enjoyment, they had simply learned how to live over the thousands of years their kind had roamed the planet. Yet it wasn't always pleasant, the same aspects that elevated Elves above the other races also made them carry a burden that at times seemed like a crushing weight. Such as never forgetting, remembering every last detail of every one of the millions of images that crossed their eyes, every sound and every emotion to the point of being able to relive something with a simple closing of their eyes. It was haunting at times. It was why Val tried not to think about her clan and ran away from her past by busying herself in every way possible. It was also why she would never forget the look on Avice's face as she died before her eyes.

Of course numbness to such events and their emotions came along with the lifespan, a certain ability to separate themselves from an emotion, however that skill had never been mastered by Val. In fact she lacked a good deal of the refinement most Elves would pride themselves on, and while her abilities were still remarkably sharp even when compared to those of her kind, she lacked some rather basic traditions. None of that had helped her save Avice, she had watched the girl get cut down and then barely made it out alive herself. She wasn't exactly torn up about it, there had been no love, not from Val at least because she didn't believe in such notions. However she had come to think of the woman as a friend, and she was decent in bed, those two aspects caused a sadness to course through Val, that she couldn't save her, that the girl had sacrificed herself not because she was brave or proud but because she had followed Valashya to a place she shouldn't have been. Avice had been no fighter, she had been an amateur at best, and just because she wanted to be near Val...

Yet silence had allowed for some calming on Val's part, there had been a silence since the ambush, she had not spoken to Hilde the entire trip back and it had been soothing. Of course part of that had been Val's personal way of dealing with whatever slipped past her tough outer shell, her overactive imagination. She had been eying Hilde constantly, not enough to be obvious but even from afar she had peered at the paladin with eyes full of desire, pushing her feelings of guilt aside for a strong more primal urge that had been around since the first time she met Hilde. The woman was gorgeous, absolutely incredible and for her to think that or a human made it all the more impressive. Yet she hadn't made a move, she had simply watched, using the woman as a distraction of sorts, even listening in on her little song from afar, a revealing little tune. Especially the part concerning never feeling the kiss of love. Val had amused herself over the course of their journey back on that one little line, using it as ample distraction, taking long lustful glances whenever Hilde was otherwise occupied.

Yet nothing in the chaotic world they resided in stayed perfect forever, soon Hilde's rather annoying nature decided to make its appearance. They had been so close, the city was practically within reach, and yet the silence was broken and in the most annoying of ways. It brought an instantaneous sneer to Val's face. Curiously she had a knack for being quite majestic, even for an elf, where her sour or angry faces gave their intended impression but also had this almost unnatural beauty to them. It was just a natural phenomena that seemed to coincide with just about every aspect of the Elf. She stopped in her tracks and turned to face Hilde, her eyes expressing her fury more than anything else. "I think you need to understand something Hilde... I don't want your damn apologies. I don't want to hear that this fucking shard was worth or not worth Avice's life. In fact I don't even want mention of that shard again until it's time for me to discuss my payment, and trust me I'll be getting my reward temple or not." She reached out, her rather delicate hand grabbing Hilde and pulling her forward with strength unfitting of her features.

Her eyes glared into Hilde's and her sneer turned into a rather aggressive grin. "Besides, while Avice was a friend we were not "Arranged" in fact there were no mutual feelings of affection beyond those I felt for her as one of the few people who I could count on. The sex was merely a nice stress relieving bonus... One I'll now have to satisfy elsewhere..." There was no connotation in her tone, she wasn't expressing her desires towards Hilde, that would be too much even for her, but she was sure she would have to find someone else once they arrived, someone worthy of her rather skilled efforts. "Besides... It's my fault she was there, she was no warrior and yet I strung her along on dangerous missions. My arrogance simply caught up to me and you happened to be around, that does not make it your fault, it makes it mine alone."

Val snarled again and pushed Hilde back, averting her eyes and turning about to head in the direction of Freelton, a growling "Let's just hurry up so I can get what's mine and get this fucking shit over with." Emotions, they were a pain in the ass and Val had less control over hers than most, always releasing her anger directly, going directly for what she wanted, and overreacting to the slightest provocation. However her current mood, traveling back to that damn friar and his promised reward, it was no the time, she would have plenty of time do get herself in order afterwards, at that moment she was curious just how much they were going to give her, just how much Avice's life was, just what they had planned after sending three people on a mission of obvious excessive danger where they could be ambushed by so many Ur-Priests. They had to have known, that shard had to be something special, and if she wasn't satisfied with their reward and explanation she wouldn't be so cordial.

Hilde blinked, her tense face – the sort she made when making a concessional statement almost always, a scrunched nose and partially squinted eyes, lips pursed much the same – it shifted to one more like a doe, eyes of the innocent – void if the poignant guilt and need for understanding they’d replaced. When told her apologies were unwanted there was a certain wounded air the rolled through her features like a listless breeze after the snap of something beautiful, like the uncomfortable calm after a war band’s shrill trumpets but before the charge that rumbled across the earth. It was like the bark was a slap on the face and Hilde just hadn’t the proper facilities to coddle any harshly treated cheeks on her own – just standing there wounded in a slight state of panic unprepared but positioned to take the rest of the woman’s wrath till further notice.

Payment? –but there was no payment… Hilde had told the men of the cloth their reserves were of more use to the city and any necessary repairs in the wake of the temple’s defiling, the process of staunching what rending claws of thievery had caused – she’d known well enough the actions of the unknown enemy of the light who’d taken the Shard (who they now knew to be Ur-Priests) weren’t only the missing relic and moreover she knew the gold pieces in the temple’s coffers were of better use there than they could be lining their purses… the humble payment of charity was far more valuable in the eyes of the righteous than a full belly, repairs and the potential of a shiny bauble. –did the elf not understand? –had she mislead Val? A pang of guilt on her behest began to wriggle through her stomach, a hardly reasonable sort of frantic – she shouldn’t feel guilty for another’s greed and yet she did on the account she may have been at fault for an empty promise left unsaid.

Or not and suddenly they were entwined, Hilde choked on a small yelp of surprise as their bodies pressed together her hands bound in leather and chain – only bare at the tips of her fingers – found Val’s side in protest to the proximity though her face twitched and heat did find her alabaster skin in form of mounting red cheeks… she’d never been so close to a woman in such heat nor had she ever been so close to one she found so intrinsically remarkable, -and remarkable she did find Val… she’d been remarking her the whole way to and fro. They were so close together, she could practically taste the honey behind those venomous words, she could practically feel the way the air was oh so delighted to grace each of Valashya’s beauteous features and more so to be granted passage passed her delicate yet steeled lips and for a moment she wished she could be given push the same gift before she shook her head slightly and cringed at what payment could possibly mean once her head was clear of more mortal coils and nearly sinful deviousness flitting about.

The grin was dangerous, she felt endangered by it, it made her insides twist and curl in the most difficult to process of ways, it made her feel sickly and the words that followed no better assuredly. Hilde could not fathom the abandonment in Val’s words, as if she felt nothing for Avice when she knew Avice followed her like dawn did the darkness of night, like daybreak did dawn and in twilight did they meet for the intimacy Val practically spat at her as if it were nothing a rather disillusioning prospect for her as to her – both a virgin and a naïve one she truly believe it was part in parcel with the most profound of unions… “So you felt nothing?” she almost whimpered as if in a way the prospect was soul crushing and maybe in a way for her it was.

Hilde didn’t know how to separate the many meanings of satisfaction for a sexually awakened mind, what possibly could be found of satisfaction without adoration? What was lust without love but a sin? Val didn’t look to her like a wicked woman but… her expression was only growing more egregiously pained as she inched back away from her as much as Val would allow considering her grasp, she was feeling a teeming number of uncomfortableness and while her mind and spirit were plagued by aversion her body was motivated separately, heart racing, lips quivering, eyes a buzz about Val’s face taking special president to her lips.

Then it all shifted in a strange sense, ownership and fault shifted back onto Val by her own guiltless omission, nigh a relinquish but rather a simple stated set of facts before shoving her away.

Hilde squared her stance and for a brief click in time she did stand strong and tall like she’d managed to be the bulwark many saw her vocation as… only to teeter down onto her bottom with a “Oof!” her felt tabard brushed to the side, skirt of leathers and chain hiked up such that her bare womanly child-bearing thighs and the cotton wrapped junction between her on full display with a slightly moistened patch unbeknownst to Hilde… she’d not even know what it meant exactly or never be able to admit to it should she.

“Valashya!” she called after her, “There is no reward.” Hilde admitted with a grimace, raising her hand and holding it over the slight glow the Shard was creating through the knit of her chain coif, “We did this out of service to the temple – I-I thought you knew that.” Contemplation sunk her eyes before she rocked about on the ground managing herself onto one knee then with a small huff to her feet, “Though that was foolish of me it seems.” She added none too kindly, her own resent starting to build “You’re a monster among men.” Hilde said almost like a child sulking, “you should be ashamed of yourself for how you speak of the dead and how you conducted yourself with the living, your crime isn’t one of arrogance – it’s one of apathy and I promise you’ll be left wanting long after our return to Freelton. Hrmph!” With a holier-than-though sneer she crossed her arms over her plump chest and began to march forward her head held high and averted from Val as if she could not even look at her – or would not.

But the truth rang through her weak mortal frame, if Val was guilty of apathy – she herself was guilty of lust and envy both.

There was something tantalizing about Hilde, beyond that of the normal woman, something perhaps particular to Val's tastes even. She was beautiful, that had never been a in question, in fact she had beauty that exceeded most living beings, human or otherwise, there were many elves that Hilde outshone. Yet that wasn't enough to captivate Val, no who Hilde was accomplished that. The bit of innocence that drove Hilde's actions, that blunt honesty, the passion and determination in her eyes. Even if Val found her path and goals to be foolish she admired the strength of conviction the Paladin displayed, and perhaps more than anything she was intrigued. Thoughts of playing with Hilde had danced around in her mind since the first time they met, and even more after their little reunion for this quest. She wanted to see that innocence shattered and to crush whatever sense of duty the Paladin held above even her own life. Maybe it was due to her dislike for religion or her inability to understand people dying for a faith and god that never gave them anything in return, she didn't know but she liked the mystery.

A slight purr escaped Val's lips as one of her favorite parts about Hilde made continuous appearances, those looks. She remembered finding it a bit irritating the first time they met but it was actually rather fun, to be able to see the woman's thoughts on her face, so easy to read and with her personality it was lovely. The innocence really showed in that way more than any other and during the confrontation she noticed nice little hints of what she had already assumed about Hilde, and how delicious those small nuggets of knowledge were. No matter how amusing she found Hilde the woman was no simple dullard, no towns girl who knew how to swoon and keep her nose out of what wasn't her business. No, Hilde was a highly intelligent curious individual, a strong personality and a clear set of beliefs she carried herself upon and that was not a quality she dished out subtly but instead chose to wear out in the open. It was a bit infuriating but Val tried to shake it off, growling, not wishing to speak of Avice.

Yet Hilde wouldn't be ignored, even if fate was determining how difficult she was to shrug off. Val lifted an eyebrow as she turned and looked at the floored Hilde, a smirk touching her features as her eyes wandered directly to her hiked leather and chain. "Oh my..." Her tone conveyed her intentions as she licked her lips rather suggestively, those thighs, the moist spot hidden by a mere cotton wrap. Val sucked and nibbled her own lip, as if trying to control herself when that was her clear weak point. How one was supposed to ignore Hilde however was a mystery, that woman was infuriating which bred this feeling of desire tucked away just beneath the surface, and her beauty well that was a dilemma of its own. Yet a deep breath managed to do enough of the trick to allow her to turn away and refuse her senses the additional pleasure of observation. Not that it was easy, yet she was doing what she had to in order to get the damn quest over with.

When Hilde called out to her the next time it was a far different story. Val turned about with an anger burning in her eyes that seemed reminiscent of her battle state. "There's no what?" Val was moving back towards Hilde with a swagger similar to a wild cat making her way to its wounded prey. Grace was not always a wonderful sight to behold, in Hilde's case it was the grace of an angered woman whose hot temper was only equaled by her combat prowess. As soon as Hilde was to her feet and within range of Val that strong, deceivingly delicate, hand shot forth and wrapped itself around her throat, no killing intent or choking but it kept her head in place, forcing her to look directly at her. "I think you misunderstood something Paladin and it was your mistake indeed... Because I am no friend of the cloth, no servant of the people, I am a mercenary and an expensive one at that. So when your dear friar mentioned a reward I agreed to tag along and ensure success. Not as some fucking good Samaritan but as a mercenary..."

She snarled, "This is why I hate you fucking humans. You believe you know everything, that just because I do no openly mourn, just because I didn't love Avice, that I don't give a damn that she is dead..." She paused for a moment leaning in closely. "She was a friend... One of the only people who I actually did give a damn about... But she is dead, as almost everyone I've ever known has ended up and I've grown tired of mourning, tired of crying and mourning." There was a sadness she would never normally reveal hidden beneath her words, because if anyone understood how sad it was that she had become desensitized to death it was Val. "But perhaps I am a monster, that's what you called me right? A monster. I suppose that could be considered true, because I don't plan on having lost a friend for you and your fucking church and receiving nothing but a gods damned thank you and some half-ass selfish bullshit, and don't act like the churches aren't selfish fucks, they just hide it behind their religion."

"Heh..." Val brought Hilde close to her, leaning in and bringing her lips to rest against Hilde's ear, taking in the rather intoxicating presence that was Hilde for a brief moment. "But I don't really have much need for monetary compensation, I've got plenty of that from my exploitation of the needs of the people in such troubled times. No, I can think of other ways I can be satisfied for my services, and a way to take my mind away from what I have lost today." At that point her lips wrapped around the edge of Hilde's ear, nibbling at the flesh before retracting and running her slick tongue up Hilde's lobe and up the ridge of the ear where her teeth had just grazed. Hot breath spilled from her delicate lips over the damped skin, her enchanting voice filling Hilde's ear yet again.

"Then again if you wish I can simply pressure your church into making a suitable payment, I'm really not picky on the form of payment as long as it's something I desire. Then again if you think about it this form of payment would definitely save your precious church the trouble of forking over the coin they take from the people." She grinned as she pulled away, tempted to take the lips that always grabbed her attention but choosing to let Hilde consider it on her own for a moment and turning about to walk away just for that reason. She had a feeling it wouldn't be an easy decision, she had seen the moist spot, she could read Hilde like a book, and she was damn good at playing with the lust of others, it was perhaps her favorite pastimes. Even as she walked in front of Hilde though she didn't stop grinning, no she was far too entertained to do so, curious what Hilde would decide, and what she would do with either decision. Of course Val was not as much a monster as she liked people to believe, if the church didn't have the coin she wouldn't threaten, especially not when she had some odd interest in the infuriating Paladin. "So very entertaining" she muttered, looking ahead, otherwise she would be unable to contain her excitement.

The elf was a hard sell, Hilde was beginning to question her motives in even agreeing to her coming in the first place and that self-doubt and unreasonable chiding only compounded when a snap inside her practically resonated through the light breeze that lulled through the column the path between thickets created. The first blow had been the way she licked her lips staring upon her as if she were a piece of meat – she was pure, she had virtue, she’d never in a million aeons give this filth-minded elf tarnish that (she assured herself, against herself) the first blow of many had left her slightly shaken when her mind caught up with her mouth and naivety parted just enough to understand she’d been sized up in a sexually perverse form she herself had inadvertently accommodated.

As Val swaggered toward her Hilde squared her stance and prepared for the worst if need be, Val looked like she had a wealth of fury to release and Hilde didn’t give her much in way of benefit of the doubt, she seemed all the more boorish and blunt by the second and a blade drawn or spell sewn would nigh surprise the stalwart paladin. She winced at the bark, no, there was no monetary reward for what they’d done – she’d seen to that – apparently a grave oversight. While Hilde could be swift, the chain and plates, leather and cotton, the shell of wordly protection she was wrapped within did take toll and particularly in the instance of martial dances with an elf blindingly fast as Valashya, she barely even had time to flinch let alone grab the splayed fingers that invaded her personal space and within that splinter of a second her throat was tightly gripped and her eyes forced to meet the elf’s with a grimace of apology that soon shifted to promise of retribution and a wrinkled nose that looked capable of carrying it out one hand on Val’s wrist the other close to her hip to draw if need be.

All she could do was stare pensively, a tight frown and resentful eyes as Val gave her the rundown of her motives and the intentions that they fueled, the actions, the hard hand around her delicate throat “I know you refuse to lift hand for charity but if you could find the generosity in your lost soul to un-hand me!” She demanded in a slight less than truly intimidating voice, slightly hoarse and laboured eyes burning not with hate but with a lust for retribution and a desperation to be freed void the violence retribution would come compensated with. The egregious nature of her emotion only compounded when Val shared her past, a sad tale of death and lonesome heart… Hilde knew that road all too well and it may have taken a true turn like the one her heart was gripped by if not for Val’s shift to her side, her lips at her ear, the warm but roiling tingle that coiled about her spine and made her cringe so much so that her chain rattled and her leather could be heard flexing about her body.

In one flippant litany everything Hilde stood for, cared about and held more than just dear but as a stringent moral code – Val spat and stomped upon so recklessly she was surprised there wasn’t a snap and crackle on the air for displeasure from all that was good in this world. There was no snap, no crackle, no nothing – just uneasy silence… that wasn’t enough for Valashya though, of course, Hilde’s breath became a crippled wheeze in her throat as her lips and tongue ran through her ear a previously unbeknownced incredibly sensitive spot hence the full body reaction that had her face near as red as her crimson tresses.

The smug smirk and one note chuckle was soul shattering as Val walked away so confidently, her words had barely made a might of sense in Hilde’s ear slick with saliva and arousal – it all went blank and instinct was setting in with blinding emotion she didn’t even know how to name or… she didn’t know what this was that she was feeling but it was none too pleasant and she needed to be rid of it! She felt a single drip roll down the inside of her thigh and her entire body spin with vertigo “Rah!” Hilde screamed and lunged forward her sword and shield dropping to the ground indiscriminately as she soared through the air toward Val in a fit. “Fuck you!” She screamed just before impact “Oof!” the two tumbling into the ditch at the side of the road, Hilde quickly assuming a mount and taking Val by the scruff of her collar on both sides.

“Fuck you, fuck you, fuck-you-selfish-fucking-moron!” She spat and snarled with every word her eyes whitening with retribution and an uncontrollable pique of emotions she did not know how to control or identify. “How dare you?” Hilde continued on in her hysterical fit of passion and offense both. “You can entertain yourself you godless f-f-rrgh! –you are selfish and cruel and I will not accept you touching me that way agg-nnnghff and-and… and you can’t speak to me that way either! The church accepts money from the people they do not take it, moreover they offer public service and faith and hope and-and-and, and things a heartless and simple elf does not understand – and for that matter you do not understand me or where I’ve rose from, the lives I’ve watched…” Her voice tapering only to mount in the most strange of ways like she’d suddenly realized how unreasonable she was being and what she’d done was wrong even if that didn’t make Val right but simply could not come back from how far she’d gone “-you’re not worth the mention.” Her teeth clenched tight and her nose wrinkled unforgivingly, yet her panties were still sopping, her heart a flutter and her stomach sickly sweet, her face flushed, pupils dilated wantonly “I see you Valashya, you speak only to hurt me, you succeeded.” She relinquished through her teeth – fingers tightly wound through Val’s top.

There was something attractive about a woman who didn't buckle under the slightest pressure or threat, who could look someone like Val in the eyes when she was infuriated and seem to not give a fuck. Hilde was certainly one such person and the readiness to strike back if need be was a quality Val found tantalizing, a little fight going a long way to make her shiver in delight at the possibilities. Of course Val was never considering actually harming Hilde, she had a temper but unless provoked seriously her mouth was the most volatile part of her. In fact it took something quite tremendous to cause her to harm someone else who didn't actually deserve it. More than that though she couldn't bring herself to truly be angry at the gorgeous sight in front of her, the frustration and resent, it was a turn on and when she demanded, in her own cute way, to be unhanded, it had almost been too much to resist. Those looks, she had turned away because of them, she couldn't continue to stare into those eyes and not take action, and really the knowledge she had already managed to siphon from their little encounter had been enough.

As Val was walking away a grin was spread across her face and she was singing a little tune to herself as she did, a nonsensical combination of what she seemed to find amusing. "Sensitive ears, innocent eyes, soon I'll have her spreading her thighs." It wasn't audible, barely a whisper to herself as she looked to the distance where the town was, ecstatic to be close to a nice comfortable bed at the inn, something hot to eat, a stiff drink, and more than likely a cute little Hilde at some point. She wasn't in a rush, in fact her strides had become more leisurely after her little enraged moment, and the prospect of being paid in an alternative way was more enticing than the original idea of more of the same, valuable coin. Sure money was never a bad thing but for long living Elves, as well as with mercenaries, coin was not something as rare as it could be for many. So she always liked an alternative payment form, whether it be a special item, or in the current situation a woman of the highest possible caliber, she was gorgeous and feisty, something unique even in a world full of wonder.

That belief, that Hilde was something truly spectacular, was only reinforced moments later when she turned back around suddenly only to have Hilde smash into her and both of them to tumble into the ditch. She let out a slightly pained sound as she looked up at Hilde, mounted and her collar gripped by the woman. It really wasn't how she envisioned Hilde on top of her but she smirked up at Hilde to try and keep herself as in control as she could be, at least in appearance, as if she didn't give a damn as Hilde tossed insults at her. She grit her teeth, getting pissed off again as Hilde attacked her, called her simple and acted as if what she said was so fucking ridiculous. Yet she did not react violently, she could read Hilde, or at least had the arrogance to believe she could see past Hilde's front and into what lay behind. "Selfish... Cruel... Yeah, I guess so, but that is the world we live in. As for touching you..." Her arms went up and wrapped around Hilde's waist, a smile on her face, "Well if you really didn't want me touching you then jumping on top of me was not the correct decision... "

"Of course as far as hurting you goes, let's just say it's nothing personal. I happen to think you are a remarkable person among the mediocrity of most humans, yet your beliefs, the devotion to religion, the selfless actions, those have no merit in this world. If you don't start thinking a little of yourself it will not end well for you..." She smirked again before pulling the woman close to her using the arms around her waist, so their face were within inches. She didn't say anything else, provided no real warning as she leaned up and pressed her luscious lips against Hilde, a passionate and forceful kiss as one of her hands wandered up to the back of Hilde's head as she decided to keep the woman from escaping. She didn't attempt anything more than a normal forceful kiss, no tongue but the skill behind it was something to marvel at. As their lips parted Val looked into Hilde's eyes, expecting surprise, fury, some form of confusion perhaps, and of course she wanted to see the lust she was confident her kiss could provide for someone as innocent and inexperienced as Hilde.

"Now go ahead and tell me again that I'm not worth the mention... I think we both know what you---" An explosion that rattled the air interrupted Val and she immediately turned towards the direction of the sound, seeing smoke in the air a ways off and it was right at the city. "What the fuck..." She muttered, turning her head from the gorgeous woman atop her to look at the city. If it was under attack it was no longer safe, which wasn't surprising with recent events but unexpected. Instantly Val was thinking that with the way things had been going they couldn't afford to go back, not if Ur-Priests were running about and if the recent dangers had already penetrated the cities defenses. Val had seen the devastation sweeping the land and there was nothing two people could do against whatever was in the city, at least that was the most likely truth. Whatever had caused the explosion, whatever was bringing forth the shrill screams, it wasn't anything good. She turned to Hilde, eyes more focused and serious, no longer absorbed by lust but instead her lust suppressed in response to the chaos that had erupted on the horizon. "Hilde... As much as our current predicament excites me, I think something more pressing is upon us."

She didn't say that to state the obvious, in fact her intention was something else entirely, to give herself a moment to think about what she was going to do. In an ordinary situation Val would probably turn her back on the city, ignore it and let it fall or survive on its own. She wasn't being paid to protect it, looting was not her style, and if they were to fall she didn't wish to be another nameless victim slaughtered by some unknown horde. However Hilde was of a different sort, Val had a sinking feeling that with the danger of the city a mystery that Hilde would be driven to go to their aid, to fight whatever was attacking them and attempt to drive it back even at the risk of her own life, even if the odds were slim. She grit her teeth, Val wanted nothing to do with the human city, yet as she looked up at Hilde she found herself pissed off at all her self-sacrificing bullshit and knew how it would end if she went about anything so damned stupid and blind alone. So she reached up, a hand gripping Hilde's collar in turn and growled words at her, "Let me fucking guess, you want to go and help them without even knowing the danger..." Then she moved her lips up one more time, taking quite a longer kiss, as passionate as the previous one, and when she pulled away she was smirking, "Just in case we don't make it out." And with a wink she released Hilde, licking her lips with the delicious taste of Hilde's lips on hers for the second time.

Hilde didn’t know what she expected or what she wanted from this, what the possible pay out for attacking the woman could be; she didn’t want to hurt her did she? –she knew the road of desperation ended with not but wrong doing and even the best intentions could putrefy carried out with too heavy a hand… and yet she’d tackled Val and barked at her with the most heavy pedigree her otherwise dull tongue could manage. She’d never known herself to be quite so… vindictive toward a fellow free people, elf, human or other even some more than unsavory ones… and yet here she was – atop Val, wringing her collar angrily – for what? A scream could never change her, she knew what she did, she knew the darkness that blemished her heart, being reminded of these and reprimanded for this would do no good – energy and breath and she knew that… so why in the seven hells did she chose to tackle and mount her. –in fact, as she stared down on Val breathing both heavily and warily she knew things would only prove to get worse – she knew she was only antagonizing the elf and compromising herself… but she didn’t pull away, no, in a way… she almost felt thrilled by their proximity, by the head seeping through the elf’s form into hers, warming the insides of her thighs and crotch, her calves and even her fingers, she felt drawn closer and closer still when Val’s hands found her hips, her face twitching and lips quivering.

Her face twisted shamefully, both for her newly recognized want for this warmth and at the cold hard truth of their world, the cold hard truth she and people like she fought as their lives work, their primary purpose. Cruvan always told her their purpose was a buffer, a balance, to right what wrongs they could and purge what evil was in their reach but he also told her of the contrast of a shadow, that the brighter the light in the world the longer and deeper a shadow could be cast – that even in the most blinding of radiance one was left just that – blind – blind to the evil that could be abound, that in the most dim of darkness a light would always penetrate… their purpose was not to vanquish all darkness but rather do their part in keeping the world from blurring to a grey swath of indifference, to make clear the contrast and uphold what it meant to be righteous, to inspire and protect what it meant... it was a lesson she’d never truly understood in her naïve youth but maybe Val was the key to that lesson… or maybe just another example. –more accurately, she seemed to be another lesson in motion.

Her expression voided for a moment, doe-eyed and blank faced her mouth agape hot breaths shuddering through her lips, she wasn’t wrong, what she said as her hips were closed upon, held tightly to Val in a way even she – naïve as she was – knew to be intimate or erotic or… intimate? Did Val care for her? Sometimes people were cruelest to those they cared for – were short tempered to those they cared for… but they barely-but then there was love at fi-well maybe Val wasn’t capa-and then what about herself… Val couldn’t be touching her that way if she didn’-and… Hilde’s entire body quivered, her thighs shifting uncomfortably atop Val as she grimaced slightly, blushed all the more brilliant, her offended anger brow beat away by indomitable… arousal? Sins of flesh, what she thought might be, flashed behind her eyes, indulgence of flesh at very least…

“How can you hurt someone without it being personal?” She whispered wounded and vulnerable while Val spoke, the determination and fire in her a smouldering wisp that was only snuffed all the more when the compliment laced by insult proceeded. She was remarkable, but thought a fool for her purpose in life and what was worse it consigned beliefs Hilde in lonesome moments felt nipping at her spirit, she didn’t think about herself – nigh ever – all she thought about was continuing Cruvan’s pilgrimage, helping those in need, humility and piety and… and-and often that was enough for her, often that filled her with self-worth and peace and serenity – she was only human though, she had wants, she had desires, she had feelings inside she couldn’t explain or justify… she wanted an arrangement

“Hnnng…” A small coo sweetened her throat as Valashya’s lips met hers – I never felt the kiss of love, Nor maiden’s hand in mine. the words a far cry from thought though she’d sung them countless times – the longing in the lyrics such that it had manifested so deeply within her then swelled so brightly in deliverance, such ecstasy and joy did she feel in the exchange. Her first kiss with a woman despite her compared villainy Hilde was in constant awe of… she’d thought of this moment, time and time again in those lonesome moments – with a maiden knight – not so much unlike Val in fact… well, in that she was a woman-at-arms. When the kiss broke a whimper broke with it, her eyes were near lidded and confusion was present though more than anything bashful want, desire, need that could be described as lust but too shallow and innocent for that particular school of emotion. She looked exactly as she was; a young soul, an inexperienced heart, a naïve girl coming fresh off her very first kiss – one not unwelcomed in the slightest when practice reached over and crumpled speculations.

“Wha?” was the only response she could illicit before a snap tore through the air like a sheet of parchment being shred inside her head, she winced and tugged away from Val, only to be pulled into another kiss – one she was slightly less engorged by but certainly participated in before they split. Hilde scrambled to her feet and touched her lips, tingling like they were it was almost like she needed to affirm to herself they were still intact “We have to help them!” She stammered, looking about in panic before diving backward to secure her shield from the road and her sword also. “-and the danger is clear Valashya – I can feel it…” Hilde grumbled disgusted as she hid her eyes and pursed her lips, trying desperately to hide how her legs, no, her whole body quivered – the chain of her armour jingling and her breath heavy. She stood there for a moment, in pause, her feet squared and her shoulders raising and dropping with every breath. “- Why, why did you kiss me?” the question came though her eyes never moved, remained hidden in the shadow of a hung head.

“… I’m not supposed to… I-I think.” She knew there was no time, but she had to know why too, “We’re not arranged Val. I’m not supposed t-“ another thrill burst in the air and the clang of iron and steel, horses listing, wood splitting to splinters and fires a crackling roar.

There was a quality to Hilde that Val had found a mix of infuriating and absolutely irresistible ever since their first meeting. It really depended on her mood and the situation, whether or not that damn innocence and naive nature of hers made Val smile or scowl. In the current situation it had her smiling, or more precisely smirking, because she could tell that beneath the holier than thou attitude that Hilde wanted what was being put upon her. It seemed to Val that Hilde was at the very minimum curious about physical intimacy, the uncertainty being a surefire sign of her inexperience, which truly only excited Val all the more. She had never been with a virgin, the idea of someone becoming attached didn't appeal to her and thus she steered clear, but with Hilde she never doubted for a moment she would pounce if she could. Yes, Hilde was definitely special, a diamond among rubble, a beauty with a special quality and one Val wanted to make squirm and cry beneath her as she led the way to the land of lust and debauchery, dragging her away from the light, though Val had been around enough to know Paladins didn't deny themselves pleasure, even if they were always fucking weird about it.

Hilde was no different, though she seemed a bit at a loss, which Val contributed to her young age and that inexperience. Then again the moment someone was in trouble her attention shifted quite quickly, even if it was a definite shift, to the point that she was ready to go rescue people. Val had seen it coming, she held no illusions that Hilde would abandon people if there was even a chance to save a single person, no matter the risk. Luckily Val found herself unusually attracted to the human and had enough confidence in her own skills not to stray from a fight. "Fine, let's go help them..." A sigh escaped her lips, she wasn't happy about it even if she was going to help, or more precisely she had spent so long putting up a front of indifference towards helping others that she believed she didn't care. In fact Val was a rather good person, she wasn't a saint, certainly not as righteous as Hilde even on her best of days, but she wouldn't leave someone to die, she would protect those she could, and she wouldn't simply leave people to die if they had no money, she was by no means truly cruel even if that appearance suited her.

"Why did I kiss you?" She paused, not hesitating or searching for an answer but sounding genuinely confused by how even an inexperienced girl like Hilde didn't understand why, or perhaps even realize how gorgeous she was. She simply smirked and moved over to Hilde, circling her and going up behind her, wrapping arms around her waist and pulling the girl in close. "You are so fucking cute..." she paused, leaning in and nipping that tantalizing ear. "I kissed you because I want you... You're beautiful, a bit infuriating but your personality happens to attract me, and the idea of having you writhing beneath me... Let's just say though would be magnificent." She leaned her neck down and nibbled on the bit of neck she could before pulling away, one of her hands moving up and brushing Hilde's cheek and twirling a strand of her hair she brought to her lips. Then she released that as well and took a step back, "As far as being arranged... Well how about this. For now we'll say you're mine as payment for my help, I am a mercenary after all... But like I said, I won't force you to accept my terms, it's no fun if you don't want it."

A small laugh escaped her lips as she walked around Hilde, the ton conveying how amusing it was to even think Hilde didn't want it. It was so obvious the young Paladin was craving more of what she had been shown and Val would be indulging her curiosity the moment it felt right, though the time was no to be had for some time, not as the sounds of battle and death lingered in the air. So allowing her words and actions to sink in and getting into a more serious mood Val drew her sword and rushed towards the fray, knowing it wasn't something she should be rushing towards but her thoughts had her in the mood to finish whatever it was as expedient as possible. Oh the thoughts going through her head, she could imagine it now, a little time after combat died down where she could explain everything to the little innocent eyed companion who was no doubt fervently attempting to wrap her head around it all.

The smell of blood hitting her nostrils yanked Val back to reality as she neared the city, already having seen some of the destruction that was befalling the place that had been so peaceful prior to the quest. There were buildings aflame, corpses and blood splayed about in chaotic fashion, crude gashed and cuts along the body with no signs of magic or skill whatsoever. It spoke to bandits or marauders of some sort, an untrained and brutish force, not harmless but certainly not a well trained regime either. As she entered into the city, trusting the Paladin was behind her, and also being able to hear her with honed ears in those moments she wasn't attempting to pick up sound of living civilian, she noticed a trail of sorts, a direction which had more dead marauders than the other directions and which led towards the center of town. That had to be where the most resistance was taking place, and as she looked down the straight path she could see nothing due to a bend in the road, though she believed she could hear the clang or steel and the shouting of men.

Her concentration shifted when the sudden sound of rapid footsteps hit her ears, her reaction quick as she turned to face two of the marauders, easily discerned by their smell and dirty appearance. Yet something was off, they were not normal marauders, no grins as they noticed two females by themselves, no snort and grunts, not even excitement in the eyes. They appeared completely entranced, focused, and rather ghoulish. So when they dashed forward without fear or abandon Val had to be quick, blocking the first swinging blade with her own sword and kicking the assailant away as she turned and blocked the other blade, parrying it to the side and immediately felling the brutish combatant with a swift and powerful cleave that tore open his chest with relative ease. In quick succession she turned to the other man who had since risen to his feet and began another reckless charge, leaving plenty of openings as Val sidestepped a amateur blade swing and brought her blade up through his stomach and out the other side, her ability to move through human flesh and bone so easily proof of both her skill and the quality of her weapon. She turned to Hilde after that and grit her teeth. "Something is not right here... I think we should move quickly."

Hilde was glad that Val was willing to help and of course distressed as she could afford herself to be for the sake of the kinsfolk but selfish as it was she had both deep concern for Val’s actions and motives… want her intentions were… how might they proceed once the city was safe and once again the flux their companionship had been comprised of took place like back at the church. When Val repeated the question Hilde nodded with a pensive look of searching determination, a particularly grating scream off in the distance making her grimace and her body instinctively jerk away from Val toward the city but her feet remained planted… she just needed this, she needed this explanation chagrined as she’d be for the complacency later, for the thought ever second she spent here on the road with Valashya was a second the townsfolk’s situation grew dire all the more. When the elf’s hands wrapped around her waist and made them as one Hilde let out a garbled sort of groan of detest but the simulated warmth her body created in response she didn’t find unwelcome, she didn’t fine uncomforting, didn’t find disconcerting… well, maybe it was a little disconcerting as her cheeks did remain a deep mounted red.

“I am not,” she whined, defeating herself in protest – the final nail drove into the coffin being a shaky lusting breath at the tingles, more like starbursts, of pleasure that snapped about her insides beneath the thick layer of steels, linens and leathers that protected her from most else the world had to offer in way of slings, arrows, bash and blade. “You want me…” Hilde echoed back in a detached voice between statements her head starting to feel heavy, knees weak – the mention of her writhing beneath her – one while naïve as she was she knew what it meant and she couldn’t deny her desire for something similar even if it was beneath a curtain of anxiety and a chance at refrain from such mortal coils as love and lust and sex and sin and the other gambit a pious few did well to abstain. She was a raw nerve and every stroke was as likely to sear as it was to excite and excite over and over did Val from the heat of her breath rippling over her skin up to the caress of her cheek and words that intoxicated with motivating promise… then a crushing tumble.

As the elf, prospective companion and more released Hilde she spat with disdain for what she could only hope was a joke – trying to – for posterities’ sake put on a hard stern face as they ran toward the city, “Harlotry and prostitution are sins Valashya,” she barked at her as they neared the edge of the clearing before the city. “I do not accept those terms!” Hilde added, raising her shield and wringing the hilt of her sword as they rushed into the streets the smell of chaos, blood and the aura of evil all hitting her like a ton of siltstone as they did. The fervent effort to sort out her many undisclosed but obvious feelings took a hard left and her mind was ensnared by the climate of the cityscape – as it should have been from the start. While it may not have been for Val – for Hilde this was an unfortunately familiar scene; her eyes flitting from corpse to corpse in hopes one may be in need of help of healing hands of salvation before the cold chill of death crept across their spirit but it was clear to her it was too late for these poor men, women, children, deaf, dumb and blind – none were spared by the indiscriminate and crude weaponry that was responsible.

The hands that held the widespread cause of death were slightly less familiar than their results – only in that she’d been left in their wake far less than others – marauders from the north it appeared, but what they were doing here – and no less – advancing from the east seemed impossibly strange, such folk solemn came in such numbers so far south and for that matter they raided, they pillaged, they razed – sure, but this was a full on assault, an effort to destroy the city it seemed by the depth and number of wardrums that pounded far off in the distance, the sound of thousands marching with such force that it began to shake the earth like a light tap upon a tightly pulled drum skin.

Val spoke and Hilde barely responded, her attention turned down an alley that descended a escarpment long since tilled and planed but still holding a slight dip, now cobbled and developed to the alley – off in the distance she could see the source of sound, a day’s march, maybe more – far off in the distance the entire horizon was black and high above the sun’s radiance supreme, white solar bursts flickering off from her god’s visage in this world… it was if the sun was alive in the sky, crying out in detest to the hordes of chaotic evil that were encroaching upon this once peaceful land… “Y-yea…” She responded, the colour nearly all but drained from her face before she swallowed thickly. “W-we must reach the temple, the townsfolk will take refuge there but… but this place will never know solace again.” Hilde said, maybe dramatic as it was the words would ring true if Val’s eyes found what she’d beheld.

Hilde began to sprint, surprisingly fast in her armour, toward the center of the town, a circle with fountains and stalls of all variety now the final bastion for what militia and families remained, the damning cries of hysterical priests begging the torpid sun for aid ringing out over the clash of poor forged militia steel and looted iron. Bows meant for game and arrows no finer notched and released arrows into the chests of apathetic marauders touched by evil, their tenacity pulling them back to their feet only to receive a cleave from woodland axe and improvised pike of pole and knife. What Militia did remain were dressed in thin leathers more for day-to-day life than battle and what could be taken from the armoury in haste, padded tabards more worn by time than use, the odd oxidized orange helmet and many a shield fashion from barrel lids and storm hatches, only six true men at arms in armour and acceptably forged steel stood, one of which taking a marauder’s axe through the rim of his shield and into his arm just as they passed into the mortal combat his shrill scream nearly turning Hilde’s stomach.

“People! Hear me now! –we must retreat!” She cried over the tumult as she bashed a marauder from her path with the face of her kite, not taking time to kill the mesmerized man before lunging into another with an armoured shoulder, taking hold of his wrist and snapping the bone – only then driving her sword to his throat for a separating cleave. It was clear Hilde cared little for killing, her true goal was to route the militia’s forces and leave this place while they still could.

“We will not leave!” A man dressed in finer furs and flowing velvet responded sternly as she reached their improvised bastion, his fingers laced in many rings and neck dangling with gold and platinum, “We will hold our city! –the priests say Pelor is with us and you are proof Paladin.” Strangely condescending toward the woman he claimed their deliverance… less than encouraging as a black arrow of crude obsidian and seagull feathers swished through the air like quick silver and plunged into the mayor’s chest with a hard smack, folding him backwards over the edge of the fountain – and for that brief moment in which life escaped his body – there was silence.

Hilde was gorgeous and incredibly adorable with the way she reacted in such innocence and how she had some minor misconceptions that spoke further towards who she was. It made her more irresistible than ever and Val had doubts that she would be able to hold back even with Hilde's protests and eventual link of the proposition with prostitution. That wasn't exactly what Val had meant, in her mind it was different, more that Val needed companionship and the easiest way to do that was satisfy another desire with the attractive paladin. Of course there wasn't much difference between that and prostitution but in the end whether it was an excuse or owning up to it she didn't give a damn, Val wanted what she wanted and if Hilde was actually a lady of the night Val would have bought her time, as she was sure every other person with eyes would. She was the one with a chance however and when things calmed down she had it in her mind to slowly explain what she wanted, make sure Hilde understood, and then do anything she had to in order to achieve her desire. Not that she believed it would be terribly difficult, she was skilled in the art of seduction, and above all else Hilde wanted it and her innocence made it impossible for her to hide that fact.

It wasn't the time for seduction or argument and so she kept her focus, a much needed skill in combat, and one she could see in Hilde. In fact from the moment they entered the city Val could see certain things she was finding incredibly attractive in Hilde, including an understanding of the situation around them and it was no strange event for her, which meant she wasn't as naive to the world as she was to that of lust and sexuality. Val knew death far too well herself and it seemed she had something in common with Hilde after all. So when she could feel the shake of the earth, with the scene around her, well she knew what was happening and knew that their time in the city was limited if they wanted to live, even if they pushed back the current forces, as this was clearly a vanguard and more than likely the most expendable. As Hilde began speaking Val noticed what she was looking at, eyes narrowing as she calculated the numbers in her head, gritting her teeth as she questioned what in the fuck was coming their way and what she had gotten herself into because of Hilde. Yet she didn't blame the girl, she didn't regret anything, instead she nodded to Hilde's need to go to the temple and put a hand on her shoulder, almost comforting but more for the purpose of keeping her combat partner's nerves. "Let us depart then."

Val kept up rather easily with Hilde, while the girl was quick Val's dexterity was extraordinary and with her lack of heavy armor it would have been practically impossible for Hilde to outrun her. Val found the city rather mundane, there was little majesty to it regardless of the fountains, though when she was there the stalls had some nice items, especially food wise. At the current moment it was more hectic however and the last bit of resistance was the joke of a militia, badly trained men with unimpressive weaponry against ruthless invaders who fought for the entire length of their lives. They were not skilled but for militia they were skilled enough and that was evident in the thinning townspeople. Val sighed, it wasn't going to be difficult with such few and inexperienced men playing soldier, though Hilde had patience and hope where she did not and for the moment Val began to see Hilde for who she was, or at least could be in time, a true leader and inspiring person. More than a beauty, more than a skilled combatant or paladin, but someone people would follow, just the tone of her voice bringing a small smile to Val's face.

A lavishly dressed man seemed to disagree with Hilde's shining moment though and Val sneered, eyes narrowed and venomous, not able to comprehend why a fool would open his mouth against someone far more experienced and then be disrespectful. Val wanted to step forth and correct him on his manners, especially seeing as his position and wealth, made clear by his lavish and ugly garments. She got no chance however as an arrow flew through the air and hit its mark with expert precision. Val's eyes opened wide as the man went down and everything became silence. For most people they were silent due to the death of a man of note in their city, for Val it was because of the arrow. Not only had it been quick and precise but the make of the arrow made it clear whoever shot it was not another crude thug and for the first time she got the picture that whatever was targeting this city was more than a bunch of marauders but something more sinister. Val slowly turned, eyes peering in the direction of the arrow based on the trajectory, her beautiful keen eyes focused on the more likely spots for a hidden archer.

The archer was skilled, position was nothing short of spectacular as Val's eyes failed to notice even the slightest sign of person, save the marauders continuing to filter in, though in few numbers even the militia could take down. That was until another arrow came soaring and while Val couldn't pinpoint the location she narrowed it down, sidestepping the arrow aimed for herself and watching as it sunk into the hard ground, which spoke to its ability to maim or kill, and she could even smell something odd as it flew past her but her eyes were taking up most of her concentration. She was sure she would be fine though, her agility made dodging arrows at such a distance much easier than it was for most, especially with her full attention watching for the projectile. Yet the archer did not give up and another arrow flew forth, yet the direction was odd. Only when it was too late did Val notice, it wasn't aimed for her! Instead it was aimed for a small girl a few steps away and Val had no time, she could only throw her body in the way and take the arrow to her shoulder, a small cry of pain stifled by her teeth biting in to her lip. That arrow had been enough though, she couldn't dodge it but she could sure as hell see the archer and her hands sparked with energy, a bolt flying from her hands moments later, faster than the arrow and crackling through the air.

A short cry could be heard soon after and barrels fell and rolled as the man behind them fell through, dead on the ground and no longer able to rain those arrows of his on the innocent civilians. Yet Val was hit and a snarl escaped her lips to hide the fact that she felt off as she snapped the arrow and tossed the shaft aside. There had been something on the tip but she wasn't going to say anything, instead she turned and looked at the people. "You heard Hilde, gather whatever you can, food and water above valuables and leave the comforts. Anyone with horse pulled transportation help others load it up, we need to leave as soon as possible. And someone grab that fools bow and quiver for me." She said the last bit with a smirk, almost frightening as she seemed to take pleasure and wish for a trophy. Yet that was more mask and as people poured away to gather essentials Val turned to Hilde, "Now do what you need to in the church, I'm going to go off and look for a few specific things before we leave." She gave Hilde a smile and wink, a basic I'll be back before turning to leave, a small wince on her features as she did, though she didn't stop or slow as she turned to search for a few things she knew there would be little chance of finding and much need for when they departed. Haste was essential.

Time seemed to slow in the most peculiar of ways, Hilde could feel her blood coursing through her veins, feel the radiance of the sun on her face so saturated near everything else drained of colour and flushed out to a discoloured creamy visage, whispers of her name and messages spoke in tongues curled about her mind constricting it to behold the unseen but she fought the omen as each swell throbbed in her ears to let her know her heart was still beating. She could feel it all, all the evil and sinister motive in this poor city, feel one rot-tooth militia man’s desire to pluck each ring from the mayor’s fat fingers, could feel the vile putrid incantation of evil that coated the arrow and now coursed through the dying mayor’s veins turning his skin pale as Wight flesh and his veins of the darkest night, her head turned to find another beacon of darkness soaring through the air – a black wispy javelin in her current view far larger than the sum of its parts in this heightened awareness. A grimace tugged at her features – a shrill cry of warning as Valashya came into view if not for them moment she may have taken time to behold her peculiar aura – chaotic grey wisps sprawling in every direction but that was non-too-uncommon for elf or man alike, it was the core that pulled Hilde, bright and pure battling against the grey smudges of indecision, no near as pure as a far smaller spirit close by, never able to be so dark even in its darkest fringes as a second javelin heading straight for them. “Augh!” The paladin hissed, grinding her teeth, the previous throbs now replaced with a searing wake as she tried to focus on the remnants of her holy clairvoyance… she was not trained in this skill, but one she knew, a miracle she’d witnessed but attempted in past – it was too hard, the area entirely too saturated with ominous winds of war, if she stayed in the state too long that evil could drive any paladin mad.

She tried to foster reason back into her mind in the shock the attempt had left her in, it happened so fast as the world saturated and dimmed back to its typical range only for the both heroic and horrid progression… and so it was, her maiden knight. “Valashya!” Hilde cried urging toward her side but chiding herself as she did, instead scooping up the child and returning her to her mother as the air snapped and burst along with the sound of shattering barrels and the tear of vessel for what of the sniper’s soul remained to escape.

While Hilde was a woman hardened by the cruel earth and what evils it harbored, what such evils did to the righteous, the thought of losing one she’d somehow bonded with was always impossibly hard for her to process. When Val had snapped the arrow and the babe was back in the arms of her mother Hilde gave a nod of agreement to her words “Pelor be with you,” she said entirely ignorant to the damnation such words could truly afford, had afforded them. As soon as they began to part, the militia meeting the few remaining marauders while the civilians spread to gather supplies and the ox and horse carried slabs.

With haste Hilde carried to Val’s side and took her hand. “There is nothing in that church worth a life,” she informed her sternly. “And the priests can tend to…” trailing off as one of her hands barely touched the wound, “I knew you were more,” The paladin added esoterically, “The way you saved that child,” her breath deep and… well, she near sounded like a damsel in distress fawning over their savior with shallow breath and deep emotion, “this needs my attention Valashya, the arrow can wait – the poison…” Hilde drew near to Valashya, her hand nearer still, a white radiance emanating from beneath pale flesh – the Shard seeming to vibrate and shimmer all the brighter through the chain of her chest.

Where the cold seductive promise of lethargic death, rest after so many years on the road, so much loss and hurt – with Hilde’s touch – a desperately searing pain cauterized the feted skin a gush of black fluid sputtering from the wound and sizzling against the radiance of her fingers like drops of water dancing across the surface of a forge… that wasn’t all the human gave the elf however – as the poison was pulled from the wound Hilde pulled Valashya in for another exchange, not one of light and dark but one of flesh. Their lips did not meet, but were inches apart before Hilde hesitated her lips opening and closing in the air as if they may be kissing but Hilde couldn’t quite bridge the gap.

“N-now go… fast, I-I’ll close the wound when there’s more time.” She relinquished – pressing hard on the punctured skin with her finger tips, none too gently, “Keep pressure on it.”

When Hilde caught up to Val she hissed, retracting her hand but calming down when Hilde didn't let go. She looked at her rather irritated, she didn't like being followed, like she needed help, Val never needed help. Not that she wasn't surprised when Hilde started talking, "Nothing in your precious church worth a life..." She muttered, not going anywhere with it but thinking it sounded ridiculous that Hilde would say that when those she associated with would feel quite different about the matter. Hell not to mention she had just lost a friend for something that church wanted, fuck the church. It irritated her but she wasn't that angry with Hilde, just angry in general and being wounded didn't help, not when she had been so incompetent as to take an arrow in the first place. Val had always been hard on herself, for years she had blamed herself for the death of her people, her inability to do anything haunted her, and day to day she found blame for whatever occurred and placed it on herself, even if the situation hadn't been her fault, including blaming herself for getting hurt despite helping a child.

However as much as she blamed herself nothing brought her back to reality like anger. Hilde said something that infuriated her, 'I knew you were more.' "What the fuck does that mean..." She growled, eyes narrowing and tempted to push Hilde away but as she began to draw out the poison Val grit her teeth, bearing the pain without much bother but finding herself more tamed by how close the Paladin was to her lips, just a hair away and she swallowed hard as the pain ended, her rage slightly diminished by the unexpected nature of what Hilde had done, how close the innocent woman had come to kissing her. "You... You... You infuriating woman!" Val burst out as Hilde pressed against her wound and made to separate after what she had said and done. "First you insult me, saying you knew I was fucking more... Then you painfully pull out the poison, almost kiss me, and then poke my damn injury..." She snarled, reaching out with one hand and pulling Hilde in close once more as her eyes locked with the woman.

"It's as if you're doing it on purpose to rile me up... Are you perhaps more knowledgeable about how to drive another woman insane than you pretend to be?" She leaned in, her question begging an answer but her lips and desire refusing to allow Hilde a response. She shoved her lips against Hilde's, a rough and primal kiss, powerful and filled with lust. Val knew what she wanted and while there was no damn time to do anything more Val was not going to let her escape after all her shit without at least a small treat to hold her over until she had more time to show Hilde that her bullshit wasn't going to be tolerated. "Fuck!" She muttered in frustration before pushing Hilde gently away, "Get the people ready, I'm going to go and get the gear I had stashed and some herbs from the apothecary... Make sure they gather essentials..." She muttered, audibly but in a huff as she turned to rush off, leaving Hilde to do her part as she claimed what she needed before being ready to leave. Fucking Hilde, she had to make everything so damn complicated, make it where Val wouldn't just be heading out but waiting for civilians, agitate and rile her up, tease her without being aware of it.

Val made haste regardless of the emotional hurricane raging through her, moving from her current position to a more dangerous part of the city now that Hilde was not there to stop her. She knew there were dangers and no way to know whether her stash was even still in her room at the inn, but she had to risk it and find out, she had a few invaluable pieces of equipment waiting and the apothecary was a few places down. Danger or not she made it to the inn before long, having navigated the cityscape as if she had lived there her entire life, the few times she had walked down the streets solidified in her mind. It was different this time however, buildings smoldering, broken windows and splintered doors, corpses of innocent people splayed about with the peppering in of grisly marauder. It was strange, with Hilde she had felt at ease, okay even within the chaos, but as she traversed the city and found her way to the inn she was a bit lost in the situation, mind rushing back to memories of her village, her family, and countless friends lost along the way.

The most haunting location was the inn itself, as she entered the gap where the door had been there was a lack of anything. The bustling in and roar of the fire no longer present, no food scent and only stale alcohol still lingered, the fumes from burnt down buildings stronger than anything else. She moved through the inn, creaking wood beneath her feet as she started slowly up the stairs, eyes looking around as she went to looking for her room. The upstairs was less torn apart than the downstairs, certain doors smashed open but most left untouched and as Val moved down the hall she noticed bodies in each of the rooms with smashed doors. Her eyes narrowed, it seemed the marauders hadn't been interested in searching for valuables but mostly on killing and rampaging through the city, it was odd but it they were the vanguard of an army it wasn't entirely unexpected, but it meant whoever called the shots had even these rough cretins under control.

It allowed Val to get in and out of her room quickly though, gathering a rather exquisite looking bag and tossing it on her back, the bag containing vials, valuables, and most everything important Val owned, and while it wasn't a true bag of holding it was something she had received from her tribe, holding more than one would imagine at first glance. She also went about grabbing a spare sword of hers and placing it on her back, as well as a small dagger she shoved inside her bag, it had been Avice's blade, her only actual weapon, the one she had been using when she died had been one Val had loaned her. She took a deep breath, moving back outside of the inn while in a trance, a trance that wasn't easily broken. Even as footsteps approached behind her she didn't hear, not until sobbing and arms grabbing her shoulders caused her to spin around. "Please help." A crying woman was in front of her, leather armor and a shallow cut on the side of her neck and a deeper wound on her forearm, no weapon on her at all. Around the corner came three of the marauders, seeming battle hungry as they chased the woman, no doubt wanting more than to kill her seeing as she was still alive.

Val's mood wasn't one of battle however, she had none of her usual frenzy for battle and instead she pushed the woman behind her and her right hand burst into flame, flickering flames covering her hand without burning her. "Fucking wastes of life..." She growled, tossing a fireball from her hand and scorching one unlucky face and as he burnt the other two rushed forward, another fireball shooting out but being dodge. Val cursed, her precision with magic wasn't spectacular, she had power but she got one another and she simply decided to handle the others with her blade. So she moved forward, drawing and twirling her sword, gripping it tightly in both hands and parrying the first slash and coming up into an upward slash, cutting through the gut of one before turning and chopping through the spine of the other. "Go, to the church, I'll catch up!" She shouted to the woman, turning back around when she was out of sight and making her way to the apothecary, knowing exactly what she needed and making quick work of it.

Nothing special of course but she grabbed some things that would help in capacities healers had a hard time doing, plus a few things for herself that she knew how to work with, shoving it all into a large backpack and gripping it in her hands before running back out and making a spring back towards where Hilde and the civilians would be waiting. She just hoped they were ready to go, and she hoped Hilde was ready for what would come afterwards, because she still had that woman and her infuriating mouth in her thoughts, and it was infuriating in every damn way.

Back
Top Bottom