Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I can love you better (MLB x Vita)

M

My last breath

Name: Ashley Warren
Reason for visit: Possible broken rib, ( fell down stairs)
Insurance: Yes
Next of kin/emergency contact: Scott Warren (husband)

This is what Ashley put down on the registration papers, as she sat in the E.R waiting room. Her husband Scott looming over her shoulder, making sure she wrote down the 'correct' information. The room was crowded, and everyone kept looking in their direction. The bruises on her face and the angry looking man with her, told them all why she was here. She stifled a cry as she stood from her chair, making her way towards the desk. Holding tight to her own ribs, she slid the white plastic clip board to the nurse.

Looking up from her paper work, the nurse gave her a knowing look, "do you need help," she asked. She was offering Ashley the chance to tell the truth. Before she could say anything though, Scott came up behind her. Pushing her back towards the waiting area. Ashley gave the nurse a smile, hopefully convincing the woman she didn't need help.

She was dreading sitting back in the chair, but she did so anyway. Slowly easing herself into it, stifling another cry. She for sure had at least one broken rib. The nurse had pulled some strings, getting her into a room quickly. Trying to give her another chance at the truth. Scott was never more then a few feet away though, so the gesture was pointless. She wanted to lay back on the gurney, but the pain was too much. Instead she waited for the doctor, hunched over holding her ribs.

Dr. Delacroix wandered through the corridor, weaving his way past the gurneys, wheelchairs and waves of people adorned in different colored scrubs that denoted their station within the hospital busied themselves with their appointed tasks.

As it stands he's two hours into an eighteen hour rotation that'll probably be seeing him back here due to the fuck up in management. Though with a mortgage and student debts garnered in a simpler time, he could use the money. If he's lucky he'll get a few hours of sleep in one of the quiet rooms sequestered for these sorts of situations.

"Here's the chart." The charge nurse would rush up and leave just like that, it was a common enough occurrence here that nobody really paid attention to it.

He sighs softly, ten minutes before he had reset a patients nose, the teenager had run head long into a basketball post with his friends while playing an after school game. His mother had been really annoying, "There is always a chance of disfiguration, but given the fact that it was a clean break requiring a soft reset of the cartilage. I doubt there will be any lasting damage."

Dr. Delacroix readjusts the reading glasses that ride center ridge of his nose before he enters the room, "Good evening Mrs. Warren." His eyes were still upon the chart as he maneuvered his way to the nearby swivel stool, muscle memory taking him where he needed to be, "It says here you have trouble breathing with a possible fracture to your. . ." He looks up and almost recalls a face from his past, "Rib."

He looked back to her name, Ashley. "Mind telling me what happened in your own words?" These cases were always tricky and yet he couldn't help but shake her face, beneath the discoloration and twinges of pain, he knew her from somewhere, but where?

Shifting a little in an attempt to make herself comfortable, had the opposite affect. Ashley winced against the pain, but kept her eyes on the white tiled floor. She knew if she looked at Scott it would only make him more angry. A nurse had brought her some water, the cup still in her hand.

She heard talking outside the door, that was left open a crack. It was her turn to see the doctor. She would have straightened if she could, but she stayed hunched over instead. Looking up from the floor when he came in the room, she nearly dropped the cup of water. She hoped he wouldn't recognize her, but she could see him trying to work out where he knew her from. It had been seven years since she last saw him.

When he asked her what happened her eyes went to Scott. They stayed on him as she answered. "I was carrying a basket of laundry down the stairs. I couldn't see where I was going, and ended up missing a step." Scott nodded his approval as she continued. "With my hands full, I could catch myself from falling." She knew it sounded stupid, the bruises on her face couldn't have been caused by a fall down some stairs. When she finished she looked back at the floor. Wincing again when she moved wrong.

Primary and secondary bruising around the face wouldn't collaborate properly with her story, if anything basic human reaction dictates that a person would try to break their face with their hands, elbows and knees to protect their face. The contusions sustained thus far can be garnered from a fall, but something just doesn't sit right. "I've done that a few times myself." Dr. Delacroix says to lighten the mood, "Except I happen to always fall up stairs, weirdest thing really. . ." His voice wonders in amusement, a charming fib.

"Mr. Warren, I'm going to have to ask you to leave, it's a bit cramped in here and it'll be hard for me to properly diagnose your wife to expedite a full recovery." He smiled, a charming gesture in itself, "I'm sure you understand."

He glanced back at Ashley, it was killing him that he couldn't narrow her down to concrete memory that fluttered out of his grasp. Then again he was tired and a flurry of former patients before this particular case had worn him down a bit.

She smiled as he spoke, but hid it with her free hand. "I have done that too," she really hadn't meant to answer back. Her eyes shot up to Scott who clearly wasn't pleased. He was a jealous man, and no doubt would take this as flirting. She internally cursed herself. Her eyes darted to the doctor as he suggested Scott leave the room.

Scott smiled back, though it didn't reach his eyes one bit. "I will be right outside honey. Waiting.... just let me know when it is safe to come in." His face went serious again when he looked back at his wife. Scott stood at 6'1" and had a muscular build. His hair was dark, and cut just above his ears. Turning he left the room, closing the door hesitantly.

Ashley relaxed instantly when he left the room. "Did you want me to lay down," she secretly hoped he said no, but she knew the answer would be yes. How else would he examine her properly with her hunched over like this.

Dr. Delacroix watched Scott leave, his bedside smile never faltering, it was one of the unsaid rules of "Doctoring", a phrase a kin to "Bullshitting", never let the patient or their families know what you're really thinking.

He squints a bit at the paper before him, rolling her name through his head, a mental exercise to bring forth something, anything. . . "Holy shit." He covers the phrase with a covered cough and grunt, though the amazement is still there, he mouthes the swear again, "You know Ashley, it's alright to drop the laundry if you're about to take a tumble." The curse from before jogged his memory, he remembered her. It's been awhile. . . This time his tone had taken on a softer, gentler tone, more akin to a friendly tease, "It's almost been eight years since I've seen you last."

Dr. Rafael Delacroix stood at an even five foot ten, his frame was more svelte due to the swimming and cycling he often enjoyed on his off hours, his black with silver streaked hair was styled back, the color discoloration was hereditary and happened in your teenage years. Piercing brown eyes caught with flecks of gold scanned across Ashley's body with medical precision, detaching friend from patient.

"Yeah, you're going to have to lay down, it's going to hurt, but if you soften your breathing it'll negate a portion of the pain. At least that's what they tell me." He jokes again with a soft smile, he's seen his fair share of abuse cases, it came with the territory.

"I'm going to have to check your torso, was it the left or right side giving you stitch pains?"

Her attention snapped to him as he tried to cover the cuss words. She then squeezed her eyes shut for moment, they hadn't made Scott leave the room before. Normally this was when he piped in with some bullshit. "I ... well..I did drop it but not with ..." 'Fuck, what am I suppose to say?' Ashley then groaned when he finally recognized her. She hated that he was seeing her like this after so many years. What did he think of her now? Stupid enough to find herself in this situation, helping her husband to lie over the last year and half since her first visit. Turning her attention to him, she smiled a little. "Yeah, eight years. It's good to see you Rafael."

Sighing softly when he confirmed her thoughts, she would have to lay down. Nodding her head in understanding, she held her ribs as she eased herself back. "Ah," the sound was soft, but spoke volumes of what she was feeling in the moment. "The right," she said when she could breath again, a tear rolled down the side of her face. Ashley never cried, even as a little girl. Though a tear now and then would find it's way to the surface.

"I suppose you were at the top of the stairs, eh?" He spoke a bit louder than normal, even with the acoustics inherently bound within the examination room. It was mostly for show as he whispered, "You've always been a shitty liar, you're not supposed to pause or falter in your statements." It was just like Rafael to teach someone how to lie better. He grinned at that, "Seriously, isn't marriage supposed to teach you how to lie with a smile on your face?" He only learned that through the experiences of a really unfortunate friend who was going through a horrible divorce, he'd spent a lot of nights with his friend as he complained and drunk himself into a pleasant stupor.

Though that all faltered as he looked at her right side, the contusions were radiating from a central point that looked far more like a punch then a collision with a step or side railing. Given the fact that she was having a hard time breathing, had sharp pains that mimicked a stitch in her side, the possibility of a fracture was fairly high, but nothing appeared to be displaced as he gently ran his fingers down her chest, following the contours of her ribcage and noticing the sharp inhale of breath when he passed over the bruised area, "It seems to be a fracture, under normal circumstances I won't be able to perform an X-ray as that's a low priority use given the nature of the injury." Rafael went on to continue, his voice ever methodical in it's approach, "Given the fact that you have insurance which is quite good I might add. . ." He's dealt with this particular insurance branch before, they were quite impeccable.

"I could put you into observation for at least twenty four hours, though the choice is yours." He was offering Ashley a momentary way out, he couldn't exactly pry the truth out of her, but for an old best friend he could always try. "It's great to see you as well Ashley, the circumstances could have been better. You're not pregnant are you?" The last question was slipped in rather nonchalantly, "If I go with an X-ray I have to inform the nurses and technicians to take proper protective procedures. . ." His voice trailed, "Man, that was awkward."

She looked towards the door as he spoke, through the bottom you could see a shadow pacing back and forth just on the other side. Shaking her head a little, "I use to be better if you remember, I was the one that helped you lie to your mom about where you were that day you skipped a whole day." She groaned a little when she tried taking a deeper breath. "I convinced her that you were volunteering at the animal shelter, and she had given you the go ahead. When really you were putting it to Tonya, in the backseat of your car at the park." She smiled at the memory, groaning more when she moved wrong.

Lifting her head suddenly when his fingers ran over the fractured rib, "ah," she let her head fall back to the bed. Trying to breath normal, he was telling her something she already knew of course. She felt the rib break with the last punch. Her eyes traveled to the door, where the shadow had stopped to listen at the door again. She would love at least a little reprieve from him, he could argue with doctors orders right? "If you think it is best, I wouldn't mind staying." Ashley pushed herself to a sitting position again, swinging her legs over the side. She looked up at him when he asked about a possible pregnancy. "No, no kids yet, and none on the way." She kind of wonder why he felt that was awkward, but pushed the thought aside.

"He didn't mean to you know. It's just that sometimes after he has been working at the sight he gets a little tired." For whatever reason she felt she had to defend Scott. Ashley kept her attention on the floor as she spoke. "I had lost track of time, and didn't have the house and dinner ready when he got home. He only lost his temper for a minute." She would sound like a broken record, these words being said by countless other spouses.

"I've had time to perfect my lies." Rafael admitted, bedside manner often required a certain amount of detachment, especially when informing people of their medical conditions and giving an honest medical prognosis that wasn't always in their favor. "I saw Tonya last week at the market, she's still hot. Even after two kids." They didn't exactly click, but they were still friends.

"It shouldn't be a problem, I'll have one of the nurses come in with the usual suite of Hydrocodone to alleviate the pain so you can get some sleep." Rafael busied himself with writing a series of medications down, most of which would cut through the blistering annoyance of pain that came with a broken rib and residual contusions.

He nodded at the lack of children, which was probably a good thing given the abusive nature of a certain someone. "Uh huh." Rafael said, preparing further documentation that would allow Ashley to stay for twenty four hours, "You don't have to defend him and that's still no excuse for him to do that." Rafael wasn't exactly a white knight, if anything he bordered upon a rather pleasant grey. He's gotten into his fair share of fights, most of which were during his internship to becoming a doctor. In the tedium of trying not to go insane through lack of social interaction due to perpetual studying, he drank, a lot. At times he would use his medical knowledge to hurt people in the off chance there was an altercation at a dive bar, thus far he hasn't been eighty sixed from any place as he was always the "victim defending himself", but this was ages ago, he was better now. . .

"I'll inform the charge nurse and tell Scott about the situation, I'll be back before my shift ends, we can talk more then." With his notes finished he walked outside and flagged down a nurse, handing her the diagnosis and pain management he had dictated for Ashley. In time he'd turn to Scott and explained the situation, talking of potential blood clotting and secondary injuries that might not be apparent due to the general shock and pain often sustained with a fractured rib. In reality it was just flowery bullshit, but it sounded legitimate because in a way, it was.

"She'll be released in twenty four hours with a full prescription for pain management." He said to her, "I'm sure you're tired, you can go home now and we can take care of the rest, that is if you don't mind. Visiting hours are almost over anyway." The last said with a casual glance to the clock upon the wall.

Nodding her head, with a smile, then rolling her eyes when he mentioned seeing Tonya a week ago. His tone suggested he wasn't into catching up, so she didn't press any farther. She would glance back at the door, seeing if Scott was still listening at the door. He was of course. Ashley looked up then, when he told her she didn't have to defend Scott. A part of her knew that, but she was really trying to defend her own decisions. "I know, it won't happen again though. He promised this time her would do better." Yet another cop out, but every time he said he was sorry she couldn't help but believe him. She wanted him to be the man he was three years ago, before they got married. If she could just stick it out a little longer, things would get better.

She nodded as he left, it was obvious he was now ashamed to even know her. That had to be the reason he didn't want to talk. When the door was open she saw Scott immediately, he was glaring at her before Rafael started talking to him. The twenty four hour break would be nice, it would give her time to breath a little. The nurse came in then with a little cup, pills sliding around inside it. "Dr. Delacroix prescribed these dear, they should help you feel better soon." The plump red head could stop staring at Ashley eyes. "I think I will bring you some ice for that." Turning she left the room, stopping at the desk to talk with another nurse. Pointing towards the room, shaking her head. Ashley sucked in a frustrated breath, a stupid move on her part.

Scott stood in the hall, arms folded over his chest as Rafael spoke. Eyes constantly going back to Ashley, he shifted uneasily as the talk of twenty four hour observation came up. "Are you sure I can't just take her home. She hates hospitals, and I could keep a good eye on her." A stay at the hospital was risky. She could blab her stupid mouth when he wasn't around to make sure she stayed shut up. His hands dropped to his sides as he clenched them into tight fists.

"Mr. Warren, I reside in a world of absolutes. Given the situation I wouldn't be performing to the best of my duties by putting you and your wife in a compromising situation, given the nature of the injuries a twenty four hour observation is required due to secondary complications that have yet to arise." Anyone medically inclined wouldn't fault him for this particular view point, but realistically the chances of a medical emergency beyond what was shown was almost minuscule. "That's why I'm having her stay here, I'd rather have her go home and rest in a comfortable setting, but like I said, she requires observation."

Rafael glanced back at the room, knowing full well that they'd transfer her to another room by wheelchair, providing her with a gown and a quiet place to rest. "Believe me, I understand the sentiment of hospitals making people uncomfortable. If things improve and I'm sure they will, we'll have her contact you as soon as possible so that you can pick her up." He smiled, a charming fake.

The males eyes focus hard on the doctor, as his fists clenched tighter. Glancing back through the door as a nurse entered with a wheel chair. "Fine... if you think that's what's best. Who am I to argue," he said between clenched teeth.

Another nurse walked up then, the same plump red head that brought the pain medication. "I'm sorry but visiting hours are over, you can come back at 9:00am tomorrow. We will take excellent care of your wife Mr. Warren."

Every muscle in his body tensed as the nurse spoke. Walking past the doctor and the nurse, and stopped the advancement of the wheel chair. Putting both hands on the arm rests, he leaned in as if to kiss her. With his lips touching her ear, "I swear if you tell them anything, a broken rib will be the least of your problems," kissing her forehead he stood up. "Okay? I will see you first thing in the morning," his voice taking on a sweeter tone.

Ashley saw the wheel chair coming towards the room, she was glad she wouldn't have to walk to her destination. The nurse helped her into it gently, though the pain killers were already working their magic. Easing herself into the chair, she watched as the red haired nurse approached Scott. He didn't look please at whatever she said. Her eyes widened when he pushed pass Rafael. Flinching when he he leaned down towards her. Shaking her head, "I won't say anything I swear." When he walked away she put on her own fake smile. Resting her head back as she was wheeled down the hall.

The room was like any other hospital room, stark white walls, and strange machines waiting to be used. The nurse helped her into the bed, then showed her the controls for both TV and bed. "Push this button if you need anything honey. I will be back to check on you soon." When the woman left, Ashley turned the TV on, just to have some noise in the empty room.

Rafael didn't have time to float around and talk to Ashley, by the time Scott wandered off, the charge nurse had found him and directed him towards another patient. "Oh lovely. . ." He's seen this person before, this particular patient grew up in the days when the X-Games were just beginning, therefore he has a high tendency to hurt himself in the pursuit of his sport.

Twelve Hours Later

There's a moment when humanity exits, the only thing fueling the facade is a double espresso, caffeine gum and stale donuts. Rafael had passed that threshold hours ago and he had a handful of hours left. If someone complained he'd probably start ranting about how they have their relative health, that no one forced them to eat all those burgers, that yes, you are fat.

He cleared his throat, the hallways were blissfully silent except for the hollow blimp of a nearby crash cart as it's battery recharged. He had asked for Ashley's room number from the previous nurse that had taken care of her and that was why he had found himself here. The room was cast in the pale glow of the television that flicked shades of light upon the dark room. Rafael knocked upon the door even though it was partially opened, "You awake?" It was a stupid question to ask, but it was the decent thing to do since she was at one time his best friend.

She dozed of for a bit, rather fast. Able to relax a little from the pain it was no wonder. Her sleep lasted for a while, about eight hours before she woke to the pain in her ribs again. Pressing the call button, she let the over night nurses know she was in need of more medication. She should have gone back to sleep when they took affect, but Raf said he would come talk to her when his shift was over. It would probably only be about her injuries of course, but she would take what she could get. She flipped channel for a while, landing on something that caught her interest for while.

The next four hours past rather quickly or so it the medication made it seem. Shifting in the bed when she heard the light knock on the door and Raf's voice. "Nope, sound asleep," she said with a smile when he entered the room. It was so good to see him, he brought back memories of a much happier time in her life. He hadn't changed much since high school, except for the Delacroix curse of graying hair at a young age. It looked good on him though, as it had his father. He looked a lot like him more now, with that added bit of appearance.

"Smart ass", Rafael replied with a soft genuine smile, entering the room to take a seat upon one of the chairs meant for visitors, "Hope you're feeling better, all things considered." He found the soft darkness was to his liking as he settled back into the chair, a soft sigh escaping him then.

"There's the whole patient doctor confidentiality thing, you know I have to ask." This wasn't exactly how he wanted to rekindle their friendship after all these years, "What really happened?" He already knew the answer, she just needed to fill in the blanks.

Turning to her side a little so she could face him, "I'm not feeling bad right now. Only a little discomfort," she replied. Watching as he sank into one of the chairs next to the bed. She laid her head against the pillow, pulling the blankets up a little more.

She rolled her eyes as he talked of formalities. When they were kids he would sneak through her up stairs window all the time. Never bothering to knock then. The smile faded from her face quickly when he asked what happened. "I already told you, I lost track of time and didn't have the house ready for when Scott got home. He doesn't like clutter around the house. He had a bad day at work already, with one of his employees showing up drunk." Pulling the blanket up farther still, "when he came home to see the house not picked up he just lost it. He has only slapped me around bit in the past, and that's how it started out."

She started pulling at a few loose strings on her blanket, "I guess this time he just got carried away." Again Ashley was not one for crying, but the tears started to flow. She could hear her own words, and knew just how stupid they sounded. "I know he still loves me Raf, he just needs help with his anger." She groaned a little as her breathing cause some pain, her breathing had gotten heavy with the crying.

Rafael nodded and listened, trauma victims had a tendency to try and rationalize the physical and or verbal abuse that they suffered at the hands of those they loved. It was a defense mechanism born out of guilt and the perceived notion that one day the person hurting them would come to their senses. He was far from being a Psy. D, but sometimes these things were easily to read, like a Greek tragedy.

"Well, have you asked him to take anger management courses, perhaps pick up meditation?" It was probably a lost cause, but if he didn't say the obvious to cover his bases, the only one he had to blame was himself for not saying a thing. Perhaps it was the weariness getting to him due to a long shift, maybe it was seeing his friend beaten and bruised, it could be a culmination of the aforementioned but either way this was unacceptable.

Hell, if the two of them were into this sort of thing, he wasn't one to judge. Unfortunately this wasn't exactly consensual, this was manipulation at its worst. "I don't know the guy." Rafael spoke blatantly, "i just know him through your words and the actions that have brought you here before me." He had taken a heavy breath then, mostly to push out the need to swear and break things, mostly Scott's face.

"Seriously Ash, that's just not what you do."

Ashley shook her head, of course she had asked about anger management. Scott insisted he didn't need any ones help in the matter. She remember even that question made him angry, earning her yet another black eye. he accused her of calling him weak, and that was his reason that time. "He says he can do it on his own. He doesn't need the help of some shrink." She buried her face in the blankets as she continued to cry. Every word she said she knew if it was someone else she would tell them they were stupid. She had to believe this would get better, if she tried to leave he would probably just kill her.

She pulled the blanket from her face when Raf started talking again. Her tears kept coming as he spoke. He was the only one who knew, she had stopped talking to her own mother a year ago. Not wanting to go home, to hear the lecture. "I know Raf, it isn't but what else can I do?" she pushed herself to a siting position. "I have tried everything, and nothing seems to make him happy. I quite my job like he wanted. I stopped talking to my family, because we don't want them to know." Slipping from her bed, she crawled into his lap. Ignoring the pain that the movement caused her. She needed something that felt familiar to her old life. Raf had shown up just when she needed him most.

This would get awkward if a nurse walked in, thankfully the duty station down the hallway was quiet and relatively empty, this particular ward held low risk cases. "It sounds like you've done a lot to please him." Rafael would gingerly caress a few errant strands of hair behind her ear, taking care to avoid the bruises that littered her body like a road map of misery. "Hell, I'd be happy to have a gal do half of things you've probably done for him." Sadly given the circumstances, it was almost impossible to find a woman who knew how to cook, not because it was 'traditional', but simply because it was a basic living skill that everyone should have to survive.

"I wouldn't have wanted you to quit your job, let alone stop seeing your family. I know how important they are to you, besides you must be going crazy being a house wife." The Ashley he remembered would rather be damned then stay indoors any longer then she needed to be, where in the Hell did all that fiery determination go?

"You can do a lot of things, perhaps I can help?"

Ashley curled her legs up, fitting herself into his lap. Her arms wrapped around him as she took the comfort that he offered greedily. She was mad at herself for loosing contact with her childhood best friend. Maybe if she had tried harder to stay in contact she wouldn't be where she is now. The only person who knew her better then her parents was holding her now. Just as he had through so many break ups when she was younger. She snorted a little, "I can't imagine what your idea of taking care of yourself is," the tears had stopped at this point.

She nodded her head as he continued. Knowing that everything he said was true. He acted like a hard ass a lot, but at the same time those he cared about he held tight too. "I know Raf," she thought about his words, "I have no idea where that Ashley went though. Everything just spiraled so fast, I didn't have time to catch up." They were lucky this wings was quiet, as she had no intentions of moving back to her bed. Scott would be there in less then two hours though, and he would be pissed if he saw Raf in her room.

As her mind drifted to the possibilities of what her husband might do, Raf's words struck home. She shifted a little leaning back to look at him. "How can you help me," she asked. "There is no way Scott would ever agree to me seeing you after today."

"I get by, I have a house, a modest collection of vehicles and enough expensive hobbies to take up any free time that may fall into my lap." Which was true, Rafael spent a lot of his time doing whatever he wanted. It was nice to have the sort of income he garnered now, even though it felt like the majority went towards paying off old debts.

"Well you should spend some time trying to find her again. If anything it'll be a nice change of pace, you'll be able to spread your wings again, metaphorically of course." He wrapped his arms around her, this could have appeared as taboo to anyone who didn't know their history together. They probably would have hooked up, but the circumstances never lined up and in truth Rafael enjoyed the pursuit of other women in those chaotic years. Ashley had kept things in perspective.

Rafael shrugged then, a flurry of ideas popping through his head. "We can meet somewhere, if that ever gets boring you can always come over to my place?" Going out was nice, but sometimes you really just wanted to hang around and do nothing with pleasant company. "We'll figure it out as we go." Anyone would do this for an old friend, at least that's what he kept on repeating to himself.

His life sounded like it was well on track, while her's derailed at some point along the way. She was happy for him though, who wouldn't be. "With Scott there is no time or room to search for her. I want her back though," she hugged him tighter as his arms wrapped around her. If he had been the responsible person her was now, they probably would have hooked up. He was always busy chasing other tail, it was her job to keep him grounded in those days. She had gotten in a few fights for him, defending the honor that he really didn't deserve a lot of times. Ashley always forgave him though, all he had to do was flash her that smile and any anger would leave.

She was eager to hear any ideas he might have, anything to get her away from Scott when he was in one of his moods at least. "What if Scott found out, Raf? We would both be in the worst trouble if he did. He is a very jealous man, and doesn't like to share in any way." Laying back against him, she let out a small sigh, Raf couldn't begin to understand how good this felt. "I don't want to go home tomorrow Raf," she said rubbing her cheek against his chest. "I'm afraid he will be angry about me staying here, even if it was 'doctors' orders."

"Well, another option is to put you into a half way home for abused and battered women." The hospital had such options at its disposal, there were many support groups out there that would allow her to reintegrate herself back into society, giving her the tools she needed to survive.

"I honestly don't give a rats ass if he finds out or not, as it stands I'll maintain some modicum of self control in front of him as anything else would put you in more danger."

Rafael held onto Ashley, his own thoughts trying to deduct all possible outcomes that would come if they went through with this particular endeavor, "If you really want to get out, try the support group. I'll help you when I can." He readily offered that, "As it stands, it shouldn't be difficult to get you in given your current physical state."

Ashley entertained the thought of course, but her mind wass till stuck on Scott changing. They were together for five years, and two of those years were great. If she could just hold out a little longer, things could get better again. She would just have to try harder to make him happy, until he learns how to control his anger like he promises. She knew Raf wouldn't understand her decision, but it was because he didn't know Scott three years ago. Reaching up she kissed him on the cheek, before slipping of his lap. Getting back into her bed, "I have to go home at some point Raf." She wouldn't look at him while she spoke. "If I can just do better, Scott can learn to control himself. I want to spend time with you, and I promise I will. Scott is my husband though, and I owe it to him to try one more time." Reaching over she grabbed a piece of paper from the bedside table drawer. She wrote her address and the house phone number on it. "He works Monday through Friday, 6:00 to around 6 or 7:00pm. You can call anytime between those hours. Sometimes he has to go in on a Sunday to get the job site prepped for the next day." Slipping the paper back onto the table, she looked up at him.

"Please don't go back on this Raf, I need you," she gave him a bit of a smile.

Back
Top Bottom