Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

DudeMeister and LaBellaMia only

She looked at him then swallowed. "Oh but you do cause me torment," she whispered then flushed. "Just let me alone Salvatore," she whispered then grabbed her basket and turned away. How could she have been so stupid to allow herself to confess? To let the words slip past her lips. Tears filled her eyes and she rushed into the crowd, dropping her basket in the process but not caring. She just needed to escape, to be alone for once in her life. She was always surrounded by guards and men at arms and servants. She just needed to breathe.

Slipping into a church, she went straight for a confessional, glad to see the priest box empty and shut it, sinking down and closing her eyes as she gathered her wits. God help her for being so stupid and slow witted to allow herself to confess her desires. She heard footsteps outside the confessional and sniffed.

"If that is you Signore Salvatore, I have no wish to speak to you." She sniffed and wiped her eyes, hearing the footsteps recede. She waited a few moments and then got up, leaving the confessional only to have a blade quickly put to her throat. She gasped, turning to see a masked face and had no choice but to walk with him through a separate exit. Once outside, she saw a carriage but thought quickly, shoving a fist with all her might into the groin of the bastard. He fell, causing a shallow cut on her neck but gave her the opportunity to start running only to see another man in hot pursuit of her. She maneuvered through the crowds and ducked and dodged, rushing as quick as she could toward her home.

Despite the fact that Arianna asked that she leave him alone, Salvatore couldn't find it in himself to leave her completely unguarded. He tried to follow her at a distance to maintain her privacy, but still be able to come to her aid should she require it, but soon the crowd thickened, and it became a battle to wade through all the people. Almost stumbling upstream of the rush of peasants he saw her enter a church, and rushed through the crowd as best he could, knocking over a few men in the process.

After finally freeing himself, he rushed through the great oak doors of the cathedral. At first planning to stick to the shadows so that Arianna wouldn't know that he was following her, he was taken by surprise as a man in a mask dragged her forcibly out at knifepoint. His eyes widened in rage at himself for allowing her to be caught, he drew his blade and made it for the side entrance. This was the moment after she made her escape, the assailant from before curled up on the ground clutching his crotch. He saw her wade through another crowd, spotting her pursuers swimming through the thicket of people to cut off her escape. The mercenary pushed through and came just in time to run the point of his blade through his black heart. A frightened wail of a woman echoed as Salvatore drew his blade out from him before he fell to the ground

"Arianna!!!" he yelled as he ran after her, hoping that she would stay long enough to allow him to join her

Arianna froze when she heard Salvatore call out to her. The people milling about seemed unaware of what was going on but parted as he came toward her. She took his hand as he reached her and she gathered her skirts, running toward the villa, saying nothing as he kept close. It seemed the pursuits disappeared and as they reached the villa, she glanced back, realizing there was blood running along her neck. She looked at the blood staining her bodice, touching her neck with her fingers, glad to find the cut shallow and not at all life threatening.

She used a handkerchief to wipe away the blood and stuck it to the wound. "I...I am sorry....I....I shouldn't of run away. It was stupid of me...." She closed her eyes. "So stupid..."

"It's ok m'lady. Do you have any idea who those bastards were? They were most likely attempting to kidnap you and ransom you to your father. Among your father's enemies, who do you think would be bold enough to go against him?" he asked as they neared the villa, however the sounds and smells were all to familiar to him as they approached there destination. Her father's villa was being attacked!

"Stay behind me Signora, we are being attacked" he said, drawing his parrying dagger from it's sheath.

"No I don't recall..." She trailed off, suddenly becoming aware of the smoke smell and then the sounds started. The gunfire. She went with him, unable to stop and looked upon a horror scene of men fighting as if it were a battlefield. Men wearing colors she didn't recognized, all masked like the man who had tried to take her. She saw Guilla escaping the melee and seeing them then rushing toward them.

"Milady. You must go. Your father is dead. His house being looted. The attack happened and had been going on for half an hour now. It isn't safe here. I shall take care of her Salvatore. I will see her to safety," she promised, leading Arianna away from the sight as Medici men came to give help to the house of D'Angelo. Arianna glanced back , fear gripping her and gried ripping through her heart at the idea of her father being dead. She stumbled, relying on Guilla for strength and reaching the nearest chapel but she knew there was no safe place in the city. Not when she had barely escaped abduction.

"We can't...we can't stay here..." She whispered, trying to find a voice to speak. "Salvatore...."

Guilla said nothing and only sat her down and then looked through the window as the streets erupted into chaos. "He wil be fine milady...." She promised then looked at her. "But you will not. Orsini has given me quite a sum to ensure you are kept alive during all this. It is such a pity I can't kill you as I so desire. But being wife to Orsini is a fate worse than death I think..." She smiled and Ari looked as though she had sprouted horns.

"What?"

"Oh it is quite tragic. Your father hardly wished to marry you to him you see but Orsini wanted you and your precious dower and French property. Being cousin to the Patriarch Orsini, well there wasn't much money to be had for him save marriage. And he blackmailed your father into agreement. And yet this morning, your father finally refused him and he had his throat sliced from ear to ear. It would of gone on silently had the guards not discovered the death of your father and sought vengeance. But this just works out perfectly for me. I get Salvatore, and live my life richly and you get to be brood mare to an old brute with a small dick." She laughed and the laugh sent a chill through Arianna's spine. So her father hadn't wanted the marriage after all. Guilt and grief surged through her, followed quickly by anger at the woman before her.

(epic fight scene time)

"Very well Guilla. Be sure that Arianna is safe, and I'll meet you when the fray is done" he said, before turning to join the skirmish. Once within the walls he saw the combined force of his own mercenaries and Medici guards brawling against the masked cravens. The Medici probably entered the conflict later, he saw more of the dead bodies of the masked men and his own. However he was soon beset by two attackers. Brandishing rapier and parrying dagger in tandem, he maneuvered to the right, hoping to bring his attackers into a line so that one of them couldn't flank him. Choosing to draw out an attack, his arm straightened with the speed of a striking serpent, the cruel point of his blade threatening his foe's eyes. Responding to the feint, the man turned his palm up in fourth and lunged. Salvatore's parrying dagger checked his blade to the inside as he traversed out of the line of attack, spring boarding his rapier into his assailant's eyes, slashing one of them out. As the man cried out in pain, the other slashed at him with an overhand ark. Salvatore lifted the edge of his blade, his hand rotating to the outside in first, once again moving to the outside of the line of attack. He came into grappling distance of the man, bringing the edge of his dagger down on his forearm, pushing the blade down and out of the way before lowering the tip of his own blade and running it through his throat. Pulling it out in a spray of red, he turned to meet a man armed with a partisan. The long blade of the lance dashed forward, and Salvatore was at a loss if he couldn't close the distance. The mercenaries lunge was displaced above as the man drew the shaft of his pole arm upwards, and would have brought it down in a downward arc upon Salvatore's head…if Salvatore hadn't closed the distance and rearranged the craven's bowls with multiple stabs of his dagger.

As the man lay dead Salvatore turned to see the familiar figure of his lieutenant Adso. A hard and grizzled man in his 47th year, he deftly wielded his sword and buckler, checking a backhanded slash with his small shield and hacking the man's hands off with an upwards sweep of his blade.

"Who are these men?!?" Salvatore demanded, joining his comrade in the fray

"These cravens mask their faces, they could be any one of D'Angelo's adversaries" Adso spat.

The fighting continued for another half an hour, when all the masked men were dead. All in all they didn't do to bad all things considered. Of the 100 men that Salvatore took with him to guard the D'Angelo estate, they lost only 12, the masked assailants all dead. But what Guilla said was true…Signore D'Angelo was dead, his throat slit ear-to-ear.

"Salvatore look!" Adso called Salvatore to a dead man he had unmasked.

"I recognized him, he was one of Orsini's men" Adso said, the point of his sword directed at the dead man's face

"It is likely that Alberto Orsini gave Signore D'Angelo his second smile as well. I must go back for Signora Arianna, send word to the Medici estate to request accommodations and protection. Their villa guards came to our aid, so it is likely that they are on our side" Salvatore said, wiping the blood of his rapier and going towards the church that he saw Arianna and Guilla go towards. However no matter how he called, or how thoroughly he searched he couldn't find the two of them...

Arianna frowned at her. "I thought we were friends Guilla..." She said standing, still in shock but trying to discern a way to escape. The woman was mad and her story made Arianna sick.

"Friends? Why friends? I was your servant. The slut. I was not the perfect beauty, the virgin every man lusts after. I lost my virginity to a husband who saw fit to beat me and when I killed him, I didn't want to ever face such a fate again. I was in control. I fucked the men I wanted but the one man I want doesn't want me. He wants you. And I just can't have that. I am supposed to keep you alive until Orsini comes to find you but I may just kill you." She drew a knife and Arianna paled but then frowned.

"You....are quite insane Guilla," she said then made a run for it. Guilla was faster than she looked and tackled Arianna to the ground, placing a knife to her throat, the blade cutting into the skin. Arianna panted then felt the grip slacken. Guilla collapsed beside her, eyes vacant and Arianna saw the blood pooling around her head. Arianna turned and saw Alberto Orsini staring down at her and gasped as she was lifted off the floor and taken from the church. She fought and screamed and kicked at him, using all of her strength but his grip on her hair was firm. The next thing she felt was a hard blow to her stomach. So hard it sucked the air right out of her lungs. She felt her legs buckle and felt the bastard lift her and nearly shove her into a carriage, slamming the door shut before taking the driver's seat.

As the pain began to recede, she recognized she had no choice but to escape the coach with it moving at break neck speed. Wincing, bleeding and bruised, she looked at the passing landscape, realizing that she was out of the city. With as much courage as she could muster, she opened the door to the carriage and then jumped. The carriage went onward as she tumbled out and downhill. It certainly hurt but as she came to a stop, she was just glad to not be in the hands of Orsini. The sorry bastard. She stood up, only to fall as her ankle protested. Not broken but certainly pretty twisted and sprained. She looked at the not to distant walls of Florence and stood again. Ignoring her disheveled appearance, she started to walk back, limping and praying Orsini would be long gone before he discovered her disappearance from the carriage.

After more moments of searching, a suspicion arose within him that Guilla was not the dutiful handmaid she claimed to be. Although at the villa she seemed comely and kind to her mistress, their last encounter had him thinking. She definitely could be the type to turn traitor. Heading out of the chapel, he felt his boot smear against something, and looked down to see the familiar site of blood clotting on the white marble floor. Following the red stream he gasped as he saw Guilla, or what was left of her. Could it be that she died trying to defend her mistress, or had she turn traitor and was double crossed. He could not know. Heading out of the Chapel he saw Adso walk out of the villa, sheathing his blade and about to ride off to request aid of the Medicis. Adso was an experienced and deadly fighter, and he bore many gruesome beauty marks of his trade. His thin, wrinkled, and shallow face bore a savage scar that went from his left cheek down to the corner of his lip, splitting it in four. His black hair was thinning and turning white, and his left hand only had three fingers, the ring and fifth finger being severed in a battle earlier on in his youth. He acted as course as he looked, but he was loyal and able.

"Adso, it would seem that Arianna has been kidnapped. Take 20 other men and come with me to search for her" Salvatore ordered. With a grunt his lieutenant nodded and saddled his horse after pulling aside other sellswords for the task. If it was Alberto Orsini who abducted her, he would take her out of Florence to his villa by carriage. He only prayed he and his men would be able to reach the carriage before they reached the villa. Riding out of Florence they rode in a line down the main path, and to his dismay he couldn't see any sign of a carriage after a half hours ride. By then they would have arrived…and what Orsini had in store for Arianna he didn't want to think about. Almost giving up hope he saw a faint figure in the distance. Taking out a looking glass he peered through it, and gasped when he saw her. He never knew she had the courage and audacity to attempt escape, but she was badly hurt. Riding out himself, he spurred his horse into a full gallop to come to her aid

She stumbled and fell, wincing as she wiped the blood from her neck, staining her fingers and gown. Her ankle was turning a nasty color and she wondered if she had misevaluated the extent of her injury. Whimpering, she tore her shift and mopped at the blood then saw a rider coming toward her. She was scared that it was a man of Orsini's ilk and then recognized Salvatore. She nearly sobbed with relief as she forced herself to a standing position, waiting til he was close before pulling herself onto his saddle. Her hair was askew, her neck holding a few cuts, shallow as they were and bruises and scrapes were visible on skin from her jump, not to mention the tears of her gown.

"Salvatore," she whispered then started to sob. The tears she had held back began to fall and her face buried itself into his doublet as she sat with him upon his horse. And then she did something she hadn't done in her entire existence. She fainted.

-----

Arianna woke with a groan. She found herself on a soft bed but one not her own. Her ankle was wrapped and her wounds tended. Somehow she had been bathed and dressed in a simple shift under covers of fur. Every part of her was sore and when the events hit her, she closed her eyes, wishing the world to wash away and her grief with it. She was grieving but she was also angry for what had happened. Guilla was dead and Arianna couldn't find herself to feel any pity. The woman had betrayed her. A woman she had counted as friend and confidante.

The door to the chamber opened and she sat up to see a serving woman. "I....I need someone to fetch Signore Salvatore...." She said gently. The serving woman looked at her then nodded, adding wood to the fire before disappearing. Arianna took a deep breath then laid back on the pillows and closed her eyes.

Salvatore was pained to see Arianna so hurt. Having leaned over to pull her into his saddle, he cradled her in his arms as he turned his horse around towards the rest of his company. She would need medical attention very soon. From how she limped earlier her ankle must have been sprained if not broken, and the cuts on her neck were shallow but worried him nonetheless

"Signora don't worry. You'll be in good hands soon enough" he whispered in an attempt to comfort her, but there was no need. Feeling her body lie limply against him he knew that she had fainted. Not that he blamed her, she been through a lot today.

Before long his company brought her to the Medici compound, and he carried her from his horse to the room set aside for her, and soon the nurses shoved him out before attending to her wounds.

He was in the mess hall with Adso and many of his other men in a heated discussion concerning their next plan of action when he saw the older nurse beckon him, telling him that Arianna was awake and summoned him. Eager to see her he jumped out of his stool and followed her, and moments later was lead into her room. Walking over to her bedside he sat in a chair.

"Signora…are you feeling well?" he asked softly

She looked at him and nodded then reached for his hand, turning over onto her side and closing her eyes. "Guilla. She told me everything that happened. That Orsini killed my father. He was somehow blackmailed into agreeing to a marriage contract..." She paused. "He was overturning the contract and it caused Orsini to get angry. Guilla....she wanted you and she thought I was some sort of obstacle...and so she was going to wait for Orsini to take me away. And yet...I tried to run, to escape, and she tried to kill me. Then Orsini killed her and he hit me...but I knew if I could escape he wouldn't be able to do anything, so I jumped from the carriage....it's when I hurt my ankle and got all of the scrapes and bruises..." She drew in a shuddering breath, holding onto his hand like it were the anchor to her existence.

"Father didn't want me to marry him and I blamed him. I was so angry. So selfish...if I had known he didn't want it, if I could have told him I was sorry...." She felt the tears begin to fall and cried softly. "You must think I am horrible. I am selfish and mean....and now I can never tell papa I am sorry for my behavior....and that I love him...." She sobbed into his palm, gripping it and then looking at him. "And don't call me Signora...please Salvatore. You aren't a stranger. Call me Arianna....please..." She sniffed and then sat up, wiping her eyes.

"What is going to happen Salvatore?" She asked, her voice soft.

So…Guilla had betrayed them. As he allowed her to hold his hand he processed everything she told him, from Guilla's betrayal, Orsini blackmailing her father, and her fathers death. All of it worried him, and he didn't know wether or not the Medicis would provide any help in seeking retribution.

"For what it's worth Arianna, I have served many men in my time. Your father shared their healthy distrust for mercenaries, but still he was the fairest man I worked for. I'm sure he loved you, and that he is with you in spirit" he said to her, trying to comfort her.

"As to what will happen now, I don't know. Although the Medicis have provided us aid in the brawl earlier, and have agreed to keep you here until you get well, I'm not sure they will help if we decide to have a vendetta with Orsini. His villa is well outside Florence's walls, and it is unlikely that any host assembled from the soldiers of many houses will be authorized to leave Florence to seize him. There is enough in-fighting as it is." he said, being on the level with her

"What would you have me do?"

She looked at him and then sighed and brushed her hair back from her face and then sat up, wiping her eyes. "I don't know...I don't know what to do. Guilla is dead, Orsini won't be punished by anything except perhaps the Pope but he is in good favor with the man and so there would be no help there. And the villa....it is half burned....the only thing I have is a dowry and nothing can be used until I marry someone damn it all. And I don't know who was appointed as guardian should father die. I pray it was not Orsini." She swallowed and then glanced at him.

"I know my mother's brother is still alive but he lives in France. In Normandy....and the French property of my dowry is in Normandy as well..." She swallowed. "He has powerful friends and...I suppose I would be safest there. I just...I don't know what to do...." She admitted, biting her bottom lip. "I don't know what to do...." She sighed and laid down again, glancing at him. "Do you suppose France is a good idea?" She asked then colored and looked away, shaking her head, closing her eyes and trying not to panic.

He mulled over the possibility for a few moments. He knew that she was in danger as long as she stayed here, but the trek from Florence to Normandy was a long one. On top of that he would have to take all his men, who would no doubt resent him for taking them away from Italy, where money could be made.

"The road to Normandy is long and treacherous. No doubt Orsini and his accomplices would try something on the way there. Plus I'll have to bring my men, and let me tell you that 1000 mercenaries is hardly inconspicuous. Our only hope is for me to bring only about 200, and leave the rest in Italy under Adso's command, and in order not to bring attention from Alexander Borgia, we'll have to head west towards Turin once we crossed Bologna's border." he said to her

She looked at him. "1000 mercenaries?" She asked, realizing she didn't know very much about him. She sighed then nodded. "I am not sure if it is the best route but I am sure you and I shall figure this out together," she swore then bit her bottom lip and laid down. She had to keep the grief at bay. She couldn't be consumed by it and she was not an easy woman to break. Being young and female certainly had its drawbacks but she wasn't going to stand by and allow the injustice of her fsther's death to slip by.

"Tomorrow I will speak with Signore Medici. See what help or advice can be offered. He and father were friends. Perhaps he knows who was executor of father's will," she said then sighed. "Salvatore. Thank you....I don't know how I will ever be able to repay the kindness you have shown me."

"M'Lady, there is no need to repay me…I want Orsini dead as much as you do. You forget that my reputation is now sullied: what good are my men if they couldn't protect your father. The only way anyone will ever hire me and my men again is if we take revenge on the pig…but as of now I don't know how to do that without putting you at risk, and bringing the hellfire of the Borgias and the nobles of Florence upon me." he said softly, knowing that in her weakened state she might faint again. It was perhaps a gruff and pragmatic way to explain a payed fighter's newfound loyalty to a house that as of now had no assets, but it would serve him for now. Whatever affection he felt for her in his heart he hid very well.

"Let me offer you some parting advice before I leave you to rest" he added, scooting his chair closer to her bedside to whisper to her

"Be very careful what you tell Signore Medici. He might have been friends with your father in life, and took it upon himself to house you, but he is a noble, and like all of them they desire power more than anything. Make no mention of Orsini blackmailing your father. As I understand it, you yourself are not clear as to what he used against your father, but should you mention anything even smelling of scandal to the Medici, he would somehow use it to serve his own ends. If the subject arises as to why he killed your father, tell him that it was an argument gone awry. It is a flimsy excuse, and he might even put two and two together, but it is better than admitting out in the open that your father did anything underhanded, especially since there are no witnesses to support such a claim" he said, hoping that she would carefully weigh each word. She was a bright woman, but knew little of the deceit and corruption that pervaded life in these warring city states.

"Now, you must rest Signora. I wish you to be well soon" he said, standing up and leaning over to plant a gentle kiss upon her brow, before turning to leave.

She nodded and then blushed. "Salvatore....thank you," she said simply then took his hand and kissed his knuckles. She dropped her hand from his and then closed her eyes, turning over and falling asleep almost immediately from sheer exhaustion.

The following day, she woke feeling better. Till heart sore and achy but the swelling n her ankle had gone down enough. Not a sprain then. A servant girl brought her breakfast and then helped her into a simple dress. It was black, given the state of her mourning and her hair was loose beneath a dark veil. As the afternoon approached, she slowly made her way down into the main hall of the villa seeing the patriarch of the Medici family speaking to some of his close men, pausing when he saw her and then dismissing the men.

"Ah Signorina D'Angelo," he greeted then took her hands, kissing her knuckles. "I see you are better in body..."

"Not in spirit I fear," she said softly and he nodded, dropping her hands which she clasped before her.

"Your father was a good man. It is sad to learn of his passing. And your current circumstances are certainly precarious." He ordered for some wine then sank down in a large chair and took in her appearance. "Your father left a will, staring that should he die before you wed, all property would go to you and then onto your husband. He ensured enough money was put back to grant you annuity of 4,000 a year which is rather impressive. As such, you are counted as one of the richest heiresses in not only Florence but the whole of the Italian provinces. The problem is that the Villa D'Angelo is burned to the ground and the annuity only comes with a marriage, making your situation, as I said, very precarious."

She took a deep breath. "And who is my guardian?"

"Your closest male relative...since no one was said specifically. I took the liberty of sending word to your uncle in France...asking for permission to act as Guardian for you. Your father and I were close friends and it is only right."

Looking at him, she fought the urge to speak out against him. He was a powerful and rich man and the leader of the most influential family in Florence. Remembering the words from Salvatore the night before, she lowered her gaze. "And as guardian, what would you do about Orsini?"

Medici looked at her. "Unfortunately he is well connected and far away. His family is influential with several families and his patriarch is an ally of mine. I sent a letter asking for retribution but I cannot promise much will be done."

Her temper flared. "He killed my father....he deserves to be charged with murder..."

"A judge would simply say there is not enough evidence for murder. No....it will not end well in a court. Now we must speak about your marriage. You obviously will not marry Orsini but you do need a husband to access your fortune and I have drawn up names of men who will make a proper husband to you, offer protection...." He grabbed a slip of parchment and lifted it before offering it toward her. She could feel her anger rising but took the paper and nodded, not looking at it.

"Thank you Signore. Is this your best advice then?" She asked. He nodded. She glanced at the paper and then looked at him. "Thank you. I shall find my escort. I have much to think about," she said gently and put on a smile before turning and quitting the room. She entered her room, opening the letter, seeing several men listed. Men deep in Medici's pocket even in her personal tragedy, he wanted to prophet off of it. Off of her. She folded the paper and then covered her face with her hands, trying to find some composure. She needed to find Salvatore. Medici was going to be no help. That much was becoming obvious quickly.

At that moment Salvatore was in the armory, taking his exercise with his men and other members of the Medici guard. Wielding a blunted and bated rapier, he faced the captain of the guard. Medici men and mercenaries alike crowded around in a circle to watch the two most skilled men in the room in the vigorous assault. Salvatore himself was bare-chested and without a mask, his rippling muscles exploding with rapid movement. His opponent was well armed with a fencing doublet and mask, yet that advantage seemed to be nothing. The Medici captain was no dunce with a sword, yet it was obvious that Salvatore was just playing with him.

Salvatore didn't even bother to raise his blade. His sword would occasionally flash out to parry his adversary's slashes or thrusts, but most of the time he used his brilliant footwork to void and circle his opponent. Most Italian fencing styles were linear in both attack and defense, so Salvatore's sloping and circular footwork was a rarity, and it definitely flustered the Medici. Salvatore confidently shifted out of each line of attack, making it obvious that wearing no protective equipment didn't bother him one bit. Finally the captain grunted and performed a fully committed lunge, and for once Salvatore took the offensive. He partially straightened his sword arm and calmly disengaged underneath the blade to the outside of the line, lunging in with his palm facing the ground. The tip of the blade clinked as it touched the area were the steel helmet met the gorget. If it were true single combat Salvatore's tip would run through the captains neck, and the swiftness that the scrappy mercenary carried out his counter thrust made it clear to all who saw him that the fight would end very quickly if he took things seriously. The finally score was 10 touches to none.

After finding her composure, Arianna slipped outside, finding Salvatore just finishing a duel of practice with one of the men to Medici. As he walked from the field, she approached him slowly, ignoring the passing glances of the men. Salvatore was her only confidante at this point. He had proven his loyalty in more ways than she could count and had seen to her safety. He was also the only one she trusted. Not that she didn't trust his men but there was a suspicion of doubt that had been caused by the betrayal of Guilla. She had counted that woman as a friend and it had nearly cost her her life. She swallowed and then curtseyed. "Signore Salvatore, it is very important I speak with you," she said gently, her voice soft so as not to attract to many people. She wanted to find the most private place she could because a house like this was certain to have ears everywhere and she needed to be completely alone with him to ensure nothing reached Medici's ears.

While intrigue was hardly her favorite thing in the world, she understood what little she did know of it would certainly come in handy as she spoke with Salvatore. Somehow they needed to leave before her Uncle granted the man permission to be her guardian, if he granted it at all. Because while marriage offered much, she couldn't find herself marrying any of the men on that list, especially when her heart belonged to the man before her. Even if he was not the marrying type, it was still his to keep. "Are you especially busy? It can wait til later but I would prefer now," she said biting her bottom lip.

As Salvatore tossed the practice sword aside, Adso laughed and spat. He walked over to a Medici man and held out his hand in a gesture that said 'pay up'. The Medici man begrudgingly took out his purse and tossed it over to Adso, who preceded to pocket it and spat towards the man's boots. Adso was a course and rude man, but not one man in either Salvatore's troop or the Medici guard dare cross blades with him. 47 years and hundreds of battles failed to kill him, and nobody wanted to try their luck against him. Salvatore laughed as the Medici man that he fenced earlier took off his helmet and fumed as he put on a simple white tunic. He turned around and was surprised to find Arianna here of all places, and hastily laced the v neck of his tunic and reached for his sword belt as she requested a private audience with him. The men shuffled around them to their own practice.

"Very well m'lady, I am free now. Would you like to talk in private?" he asked her, walking beside her out of the practice yard.

"I would," she admitted then walked with him. She was a little slow with her ankle protesting all of the walking but this was a very urgent matter. She walked with him to the gardens, glancing around and then reaching a shrouded alcove, free from the eyes of passing men or women and the windows of the villa. Once they were alone, she reached in her dress, pulling out the parchment. "This is Medici's plan. He wants me to marry so I can access my dowry, no doubt to his own ends....and the men he suggests I know well are in his pocket and do all of his bidding." She sighed. "He isn't going to be any help. Not the help I need. If I were going to marry to access my dowry, it would not be to any of these men. Men who also do bidding for the head of the Orsini clan. The same man who's cousin killed my father...and he took the liberty of writing my uncle, asking for guardianship, no doubt to control my dowry and ensure it was kept in his circle." She sighed and looked down.

"I wish I knew wht to do. All I know is I can't stay here and marry one of these men....I don't want any of them...but if anything, Medici was right in the fact that I can't do much without marriage..." She sighed.

"Well Milady…I have no idea what we should do" he said, sitting beside her on the bench. He paused a few moments to mull over all other possibilities. They could make for her uncle's estate in Normandy, but that would be long and treacherous, not to mention predictable. Signore Medici will no doubt figure out were Arianna would escape to, and bring men to retrieve her. He could only bring a handful of his men to protect her so as to not rouse suspicion, but that wouldn't be enough to repel a larger searching party. Not to mention that Orsini would no doubt look for Arianna. But if they stayed there it would be folly. If she refused, no doubt the Medici would hand her over to Orsini or the Borgias.

"Would you know of any other family members or allies to your father that might aid us?" he asked her

She shook her head. "No..." She whispered then looked at him. "I do have to marry. It....it's the only way I shall be able to do anything at all. Medici said that charging Orsini with nursed, bringing the case before a judge wouldn't merit anything. He has to powerful of family...I can believe it. But it isn't right or just or fair that a bastard like him could kill my father and not be punished for it." She swallowed and then looked at Salvatore. "If there is anyone's could rely on it is my friend Lucrezia. She is the daughter to the Pope but she does not associate with her father nor her brother any longer. And even if she does have the stigma of the anorexia name, I know her. She is a good woman, strong and clever. She is the only person I can think of...." She flushed and then lowered her gaze.

"She is married to the Duke of Ferrera. I am sure she will grant me asylum until I figure out who I must wed....or something." She looked at him, reaching up and stroking his cheek. "Why does everything have to be so complex."

Salvatore listened to her plea, considering her idea to go to Lucrezia Borgia. He wasn't too crazy about it: she had a reputation for poisoning lovers, and incest. He was also certain that the Duke of Ferrara wouldn't survive long even if the rumors concerning her were false. To be wed to a Borgia was like making a deal with the devil. He served the Borgia family before, and the prospect of associating himself with them didn't sit to well. It was as well likely that Arianna was putting herself in danger.

"It's a risky move…but that's our best option. Neither Orsini of the Medici will expect it" he said after some deliberation.

And that's when he felt her hand caress his cheek. He had more contact with other women before and he didn't even bat an eye, yet feeling her gentle touch brought a subtle redness to his face. He gently grasped her hand and placed it gingerly on her lap.

"Such is the life of a noble. But might I ask why are you so opposed to marrying at all if that is the only way to access your dowry?" he asked her

She flushed as he brought her hand from his cheek and then looked down. "It is not that I am opposed to marriage. I want to marry...the issue is marrying a man who is abusive or controlling, or not willing to listen to me. I don't want to live a life confined...and well...my heart belongs to someone..." She looked at him. "But if I asked him, he would probably use the excuse that marrying him is a bad idea. He is a mercenary, a rogue, not fit to run a noble house. Perhaps he would tell me that a marriage between us wouldn't be for the best but I wouldn't care." She looked at him then looked down. "I love him. I even confessed it and its more then love. It's lust and want and desire too. Something I have never felt before. I couldn't marry a man and feel his touch because I would think of another." She swallowed, confessing everything softly and then looked back at him.

"I'm not even sure if he desires me as anything more than a lover but I would be his wife, his lover, and that doesn't make it very easy looking for a husband..." She murmured.

Back
Top Bottom