Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Today's Youth

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vic Rattlehead

With barely more than three hours of sleep and five minutes of thinking, Today's Youth is the best I've could come up with so please bear with me here. I'm twenty one years old and some of you are already saying "Vic you're only twenty one years old, you're not old or what do you know about young people?" Last semester I moved into an apartment and had roommates for the very first time, not knowing what to expect. At first my roommates seemed nice letting me smoke weed and drink they're alcohol for free, with me giving them rides occasionally seeing how I was the only one with a car. However, the mutually beneficial relationship ended when they told me I had to chip in to smoke or drink, but they started to invite me over less and less. I didn't know what to think, but I still gave them rides even though they never offered to give me gas money.

Heres the kicker both my roommates are under twenty one yet they smoke weed and drink alcohol everyday, along with blasting they're music so loud I can hear it in my room. The one night I bought Fireball Whiskey so I put it in the fridge after a couple of Fireball Lemonades and told them it was mine. The next morning I checked the fridge and the bottle was empty, but I thought I must've had finished it myself. The new semester which I'm currently in things have worsened, with them only talking to me when they want me to give them a ride. Worse yet they ate two loaves of bread I bought even though we all agreed not to touch each other's food. I even caught them in the act and they said nothing, no apology just nothing. Later on I talked to them and they agreed to not touch my food again, blaming it on a very drunk and high week.

I wanted to yell being drunk and high isn't an excuse, but I'll admit I'm too nice of a person. Last night I checked the freezer and sure enough my last two packs of Hot Pockets were gone, but I didn't catch them in the act . However, I asked my roommate and he got all defensive, trying to brush of my questioning. Sure Hot Pockets and bread isn't expensive, but its the principle that matters. Funny thing about my one roommate is his dad is a youth pastor that knows his underaged son drinks alcohol, smokes weed, and has premarital sex. Even better this same roommate has a girlfriend and yet he fucks other women.

Before you say hate is a strong word go kindly fuck yourself. I truly despise my roommates who are nothing more than knuckle dragging parasites who only care about themselves. I'm surprised the freshman and sophomore were able to get into college, along with the fact the junior not failing out with a 2.5 GPA. They also miss a majority of they're classes as well. I know this is college, but do you honestly need to drink and smoke weed every god damn night? So I've decided the next time I catch them in the act of even touching my stuff, I'm going to dump all the alcohol in the apartment and stop giving them rides. These three kids because thats what they are, aren't alone with they're group of friends who come over every night are exactly the same.

So tell me what is the problem with today's youth? Is it the fact that parents don't want to be parents, but instead they're child's best friends? Is society to blame? College culture? What exactly has produced the ill natured youth we have of today?

Hate to break it to you, but this is all roommates everywhere ever. It has nothing to do with their youth, either. My current roommates are 30 and 47, and they both act like complete parasites. Want some free advice on how to stop them from stealing your stuff so much? Get yourself some brown food coloring and an empty whiskey bottle. Finish the whiskey yourself, or just decant it into an empty water bottle. Now, refill that whiskey bottle with your own piss, add food coloring, and put it back in the fridge.

They'll learn.

If they keep stealing your food? Take some hot pockets, open the plastic so they're exposed to the air. Leave them to thaw in your bedroom where no one will see, and let them sit for three days or so. Then put them back in the freezer.

They'll learn.

Aside from that, stop giving a shit about them. Go have your own life and screw them. Keep your booze locked in your own room in your closet or wherever you can keep it private.

What about bread and other food? I was thinking of getting a mini fridge, but its not fair I should have to shell out my money just because they cant keep they're hands to themselves. I also forgot to mention they I did hang out with them all they did was look at they're phones, too busy being on social networks to have actual conversations.

This seems pretty normal to me, out of the 12 or so different room mates (ages 19 - 45) I have had since I left home at age 16 maybe 2 didn't steal my stuff, my mother has told me similar stories when she share housed during nursing school, people can't be trusted, it seems the minority are the ones that do not take shit.

Personally I ended up storing all my food in my closet under my clothes in the first place, then I just started storing food at work or buying cheap lunch at uni, mini fridge is the easiest option, sure you shouldn't have to do it, but better to lock your doors than leave them open for thieves to see inside.

This also seems like it should be put in general or a journal or something as it comes across more like a bitch session about your life than an acedemic discussion of youth and their upbringings or the effect of technology on social interaction.

I was going to mention how social media has turned teenagers into self absorbed narcissists ala Facebook, Vine, and Twitter. I also mentioned how it seems most parents want to be their child's best friend rather than their parents. Though this may or may not have social consequences, are there any positives of social networking?

I agree with Lady, this seems an awful lot like a bitch session rather than an opening to a discussion regaurding 'bad roommates' or 'youth'. You are most definately allowed to voice your distane for your current roommates, however I believe this would be much better suited for a journal where you can express your personal conflicts until the cows come home.
Yes, use your roommates as an example of 'today's youth' but you must guide the conversation to something constructive rather than an open bellyache follwed by one reason why you think youth today is worse than youth yesterday.
There will always be bad people, but this does not feel like the appropriate way to discuss it. I advise you take up a journal.

Aside from my intense dislike of the Baby Boomer generation (I don't care who you are, there hasn't been and likely never will be a more hypocritical, mean-spirited, & naive generation in history), the way I view each generation can be wrapped up into two unique quotes:

"Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." - George Orwell

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." - Henry David Thoreau

You'll always find roommates that are arrogant, thinking they can do whatever they want to do. It's nothing to do with narcissism or being selfish, which are but mere scapegoats of the real problem. Either way, it's nothing more than a mere stain on their family future - just not worth caring about unless they decide you saying 'no' to them is wrong (then use proper action for the proper scenario).

Sorry, but this is more like a rant than an actual debate of intelligence and seems more like a journal post, especially with your lovely "Kindly fuck off" added in for good measure.

I'm going to close this thread.

Also, if this keeps up, I'm going to bar you from the Academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom