Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last game you played...

was playing some Amnesia Dark Descent, here yesterday, almost shitted bricksup to many times

Deadly Premonition. Probably had the best experience of my gaming life with that title. It was goofy, funny, chock-full of horror movie references and gave you a lot of ground to explore, but could still scare you and twist your mind as you were drawn deeper into the story.

I'm putting it lightly when I say the ending is the single most insane thing I've ever seen. Never before in my life have I screamed "WHAT THE FUCK!" over and over like I did with Deadly Premonition.

If you have a 360, twenty bucks to blow and any or all of the above appeal to you, GET THIS GAME.

Were playing some Guildwars. It's Pink Days in this month so everyone runs around in pink armors for that breast cancer thingie, already in the two first days had they earned over 10,000 dollars and it's still raising alot~

I hope this isn't considered grave digging, but in reality, I was just thinking of remaking this thread.

Currently, in celebration of the Mega Man 25th anniversary, I'm playing a series of recently purchased Mega Man games. I've got the X collection, the Classic collection and recently managed to snag an incredibly rare copy of Misadventures of Tron Bonne (regularly going for over 200 on ebay with case).

At the same time my roommates are playing a mix of Battle Network and ZX on the DS.

Good times.

I tried getting back into SW:ToR (but Bioware's customer service and difficulty to re-subscribe prevented it) and played a bit of GW:2, then some ME 3 to replay the Citadel DLC as an older character that had a Tali Romance.

Oh Tali,you're the original auto-tune.

Last game I played was Saints Row the Third, finished it about an hour ago.
It's stupid and no where as good as Saints Row two, but it's stupid fun so I enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to the forth game, it sounds like crazy fun.

I'm just about to start Hyperdimension Neptunia V which is an overly cute Japanese role play game, I hope it's enjoyable.
^w^b

A mix of ROMs I have on my laptop when I'm bored at work. Right now I'm playing Super Castlevania 4 and Super Mario RPG.

MyHappyWorld said:
It's stupid and no where as good as Saints Row two, but it's stupid fun so I enjoyed it.

I ruined my copy of Saints Row 3 by getting their last DLC that forced me to unlock stuff at the beginning. What were they thinking with -mandatory- cheats?

Dameon said:
MyHappyWorld said:

I ruined my copy of Saints Row 3 by getting their last DLC that forced me to unlock stuff at the beginning. What were they thinking with -mandatory- cheats?
Fun.
What DLC pack was that?

MyHappyWorld said:
Fun.
What DLC pack was that?

The latest one, I can't remember the name but basically it was a DLC that let you unlock every power and item. I thought I could turn them on or off depending on what I wanted, but nope.

You get ALL of them, including the ones that give you a free area take over from STAG, from the first time you get free roam.

The only way to prevent that? Uninstall the entire game and don't install that DLC.

Bioshock infinite, love the game, love the story. Harder than I thought, which is good, seeing as most game start to lose their challenge.

stuck for a bit at the moment :(

Metal Gear Rising. Got it yesterday, in spite of people telling me that it sucked, and I loved it. I'm already almost done with the game, but I plan to do a couple of playthroughs. I love the action and the music. I've also been playing a lot of League of Legends.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES.

I've had this game for a number of years, but I've never beaten it. Every attempt I've ever made was lead astray by other interests. However, this time I am committed to finally getting to the end.

Mitsu said:

I've had this game for a number of years, but I've never beaten it. Every attempt I've ever made was lead astray by other interests. However, this time I am committed to finally getting to the end.

Oh my god that game is the best. Amazing story I gotta say.

Xanivus said:
Mitsu said:

Oh my god that game is the best. Amazing story I gotta say.

It's a good story, but I wouldn't say amazing. It's pretty standard Japanese fare, and manages to hit all of the anime/manga cliches along the way. What's good about the story isn't the story itself, but rather how it's told. It manages to take the otherwise banal simulation dating format popular in Japan, and make it more interesting with a JRPG fusion. Allowing the player to traverse the areas, which stay true to the expected aesthetics of the setting, makes the dating simulation more interesting. The areas are, however, limited; I found that the appeal wore off rather quickly. The slight deviation from the typical JRPG battle system is one of the things that breathes life into this game. The other remarkable aspect is how stylish the general feel of the game is; everything from the interfaces to the music is atypical of other JRPGs. While many of the characters fit nicely into many Japanese archetypes found in their popular media, the characters are interesting enough, and voiced well.

One of the largest flaws in this game, is actually the game design, which I praised before. The game is, essentially, one large grind. You fall into a schedule, and everything you do is for the advancement of the superficial relationships you build with the other characters. You build up the statistics of your character, so you can build more relationships, and you build more relationships, so you can gain more powerful persona. However, none of these relationships have any real impact on the game. Advancing one to it's completion merely allows you to access a powerful persona. There's no real impact on the story. Moreover, once you advance a relationship to the end, there's no longer any need to speak with them. To lend further to the emphasis on grinding, is the singular dungeon in the game. You advance up a series of very similar floors to battle a boss. Most of your time is spent fighting the same handful of monsters, which quickly becomes a routine-- bufu him, agi that one, and all-out attack, ect. While the aesthetics of the dungeon changes every twenty or thirty floors, it's a very shallow change. I'm sure this is to emphasis the gradual ascent up the tower, but it's very uninteresting after hours of climbing the floors.

While I generally dislike the word, Persona 3's greatest strength is immersion. The characters aren't just talking to the avatar on the screen, but rather the projection of the player. You name the character, you pick what the character says, and you get to pretend it is you. While this is not something that works on me, I can see the appeal. I'm more interested in guiding this character I have created, or am creating over a period of time. The calendar system allows the player to do this, and it is the one saving grace of the otherwise shallow relationship system-- the player is allowed to feel that the friendships they make grow over a period of time.

Overall, Persona 3 is an interesting game that doesn't do too much greatly, but does a few things that not many other games do. If you enjoy the most common of Japense media, you'll enjoy the characters and story of Persona 3.

Back
Top Bottom