Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hitting a home run with the rookie (Charliesweb7 & Crusade)

Tara laughed as he spoke. "Oh, you are one of those. Whoever looks good huh?" She asked. Hey, she didn't judge. She knew it was a joke...well she hoped it was anyways. "Interesting. I thought I read some interviews though." She explained. Maybe those were just local ones for the college newspaper or such. She took a sip of water, taking a long drink before looking to him. "Depends, that the only thing that goes fast?" She teased, laughing a bit. She moved over, then lying down onto the blanket. "You should see the stars in places like the mountains. They are amazing." She explained to him, placing her hands on her stomach. "I love watching the stars." She admitted.

"I go fast and pound the zone. That's my motto in baseball and other endeavors," he said with a sly smile. When she settled next to him, Evan reached out and placed his hand on her thigh as they lay there. It was nice just taking time out to relax and being so close to Tara definitely helped ease his mind about the upcoming season. It'd been a long journey to get to the place he was now and he didn't want to squander the opportunity. Having a support system like Tara on top of his parents was just icing on the cake.

"I do, too. This is really nice," he whispered, savoring the moment. He hoped Tara thought as much of it as he did.

Tara laughed a bit as he spoked. "I assume you will want the 3rd date to come quickly then? Isn't that some rule, sex on the third date?" She added. Honestly, she had never had sex so she didn't know. She had a feeling that Evan had probably had a few girls in his bed. So she was a little scared about that. Tara looked down as he rested his hand onto her smooth thigh. He really seemed to be touchy. Not that she really minded. It was really nice. She smiled, looking back up to the sky. "This has been a great date." She told him. She wanted to give him the credit for a great date.

"That third date rule is really overrated. I just go with the flow and do whatever feels right. If it's the first date or the twelfth, it made no difference. It's just what feels right at the moment. But don't worry, I'm not going to jump your bones," he said, looking over at her with a smile. He didn't want to overwhelm her. He knew he tended to be a little touchy, but hopefully that wasn't something that bothered her.

"It really has been nice. A beautiful girl and a beautiful backdrop. It didn't get much better than that," he admitted to her, giving her thigh a soft squeeze, his head still turned in her direction as he spoke. He wondered how experienced she was.

His answer confirmed her feelings. He had probably fallen into bed with countless women. Now Tara felt stupid for staying a virgin. He might laugh at her for all she knew. She knew some girls thought she was a complete prude and thought she was stupid. Tara just gave a smile as he said about not sleeping with her so soon. She looked back up to the sky, watching a few clouds starting to pass by. "Well thank you, I really have enjoyed this." She told him. Tara closed her eyes for a moment, her hands still rested on her stomach. She inhaled the scent of the fresh cut grass.

"Of course," he said softly, glad to see a slight break in the clouds and a few stars make themselves known. He slid his hand from her thigh and then turned onto his side to face her. He snuck a kiss to her forehead before just letting his body rest beside her. He didn't want to push anything, but he wanted her to know how he felt about her. He was taken by her and he found her incredibly attractive. He had no idea what her track record was with men and he wouldn't intrude on her by asking, but he couldn't help but think she had to have been at least slightly experienced.

Since Tara had her eyes closed, she only felt his hand slip away. And then Tara felt his lips against her forehead. Even if he say he wouldn't have sex now, he was surely seeming to be rather intimate at the moment. Maybe he was trying to tell her something? Who knows. Her eyes slowly opened and looked over to him, a small smile on her face. "Thank you for this." She added. She wondered what all they had in common as well. "Where all have you traveled? Did you get to travel anywhere cool for baseball?" She questioned. Perhaps out of the country?

"Hmm, let's see. Aside from random American cities, we did play a few games down in the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Venezuela. They're all hot beds for baseball, so getting games there is really easy. You should see the young kids down there. Poor as can be, but they fashion bats out of big sticks, use rocks as balls and play games in the street. It's crazy how they start out, but a lot of those kids will end up in the majors. It's not as glamorous as my road to the show, but they'll have scouts itching to get them to the U.S."

He lay back and watched the sky. "What about you? Are you a world traveler?" he asked.

Right right. There was a fair amount of people that came to the US to play baseball from Latin America. She nodded her head gently when he spoke. "It is amazing to see anywhere else. Just how lucky we have it here. Then again, there is poverty everywhere." Tara explained. She then nodded her head. "A little bit. But since I have 4 brothers, it was a lot of money to travel outside of the US. We traveled a lot inside the US and a few times on cruises but that is about it." She told him. Sure, she wasn't dirt poor but plane fare for 7 people to somewhere like Europe was expensive! Her parents saved their money for the kids to be put through college. "I would love to travel more though. Just finding the time and money is all." She told him. Isn't that what ever said?

"Well this beautiful new job of yours is going to have you traveling so much, by the time the season is over, chances are you're going to be sick of it," he said, looking over at her. "Although, you do get to see me every day and watch me pitch every five games, provided I get a spot in the rotation. That's gotta count for something, right?" he asked with a smirk, hoping it didn't sound like he was tooting his own horn too much. He just meant things would be good since they would be afforded plenty of time together.

Tara smiled at him as he spoke about pitching a few games. "When will you know if you are in the rotation?" She asked him. She could tell that it was important to him. And she wanted to see him in the rotation as well. It would be great to see. "So are you going to be outside of my hotel room, throwing rocks at the window?" She teased him, laughing a bit. "I am going to ask my boss about dating. I would like to make sure that we don't have to hide anything." She added. "You know, if we end up dating more." She explained. She had no idea if they would continue to date. She really hoped so. Tara liked Evan.

"Most likely after my last start of spring training. I'm sure they already know what direction they want to take and through the grapevine, I've heard good things. It's just a matter of showing them what I've got." When she asked about him throwing rocks at her window, he nodded and laughed. "Obviously. I wouldn't have it any other way. But yeah, I really hope they're okay with us dating. I don't see why not. It's not like you have to do a write up about it. We can be civil about it," he said, reaching out to grab her hand.

"My hope is that you just don't end it after a rough start. I'm going to do my best to make you proud, but I can't promise I'm gonna go out there every start putting up zeroes."

"Well, you sound like you really want it. I just hope that you get it!" She replied to him. Tara did want to see him in the rotation. He had been working hard. "I think it would be different if it was like a coach and player or such." She explained to him. What was she going to do? Write saying "Oh my gosh, I love him!" or report like that? Yeah right. "Well, I will see." Tara explained, lacing their fingers when he grabbed her hand. She adjusted, then looking over to him as she rested on her side. "End it...what do you mean?" She asked. Did he think she was only dating him for his status?

"You know, like not want to date me because I suck," he said bluntly, laughing at his own words. He gave her hand a squeeze and shook his head. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'm sure I'll be fine and we'll be fine. That is, if you want to keep dating me once the season starts. As much time as we'll have together, just know, I'm going to be really busy. Just letting you know that now. In between starts, there are side sessions, team meetings and all that other good stuff. I'd like to say we'll get plenty of time together, but who knows really. I'm new to all of this, too."

Exactly what she thought. Tara rolled her eyes. "It is not like I am dating you because you are a player anyways. Hell I mean, I didn't even think of it until you asked me out." She mentioned. Really, he was talking more long term and quicker than she was. She wondered why though... "That is alright. It is understandable. But considering I will be going with you... I am sure we will have some time together. Too much time at first I think can cause tension." She added. You always got to know their annoying habits. Not very fun. Tara smiled at him before looking back up. There wasn't a cloud in the sky now. "Beautiful night." She mentioned.

He nodded and turned his attention to the sky. He was getting ahead of himself. It was a habit of his he wished he could break. It was a stupid thing assuming the two of them would even be together by the time they hit the road for the regular season. He just really liked Tara and liked the thought of being with her.

"It really is," he said softly about the night. He glanced up at the stars and then turned his head to glance over at her. "We can go whenever you want," he whispered, wanting to give her the option. He knew he wouldn't be the one to actually go through with leaving. He couldn't think of anyplace he would've rather been.

"I like it just like this. Unless you have somewhere to be, I am quite happy." She told him. She didn't want to leave as this was just so relaxing to her. She was enjoying it. One of the best first dates in her mind. Tara inhaled a deep breath before closing her eyes for a moment. "Do you have any other siblings?" She asked him. She hoped the whole topic wasn't a sore subject. She probably shouldn't have said anything. Tara opened her eyes, then looking to him. 'Sorry, I shouldn't be asking that." She said. She really should be just shutting her mouth. She should be asking other questions, not about his brother though. Well, family ones.

That question made him wince. Just when he thought they were moving past the questions that had been asked in the interview, he was hit with that one. It was like a punch right to the stomach. He sighed and was silent for a moment before finally gathering the energy to answer her. "No. No other siblings," he said simply, getting painfully quiet upon answering. He closed his eyes and stayed completely static there on the blanket. He hated having to feel that way.

Tara instantly regretted that. She frowned, pushing herself up and looking at him. He looked like the life drained out of him when she asked that. She almost wanted to cry herself. "I am so sorry." She whispered to him. She moved over, lightly leaning down and kissing his cheek. "I am really sorry for asking." She added. Great, she was a complete asshole for asking him that. She could have found it out herself probably. She felt her stomach twisting and knotting, all due to her stupid and hurtful question.

He shook his head after she kissed him and he opened his eyes to look up into her own. He let out a sigh and sat up on his elbows. "No, don't be sorry. It's not your fault. It's just something I need to learn to get over. You'd think after all of this time it'd get easier, but it hasn't. It was a fair question," he explained, sitting up further to run his fingertips over her cheek. "I'm sorry," he said softly, not wanting her to feel guilty at all. She hadn't meant anything by it, after all.

Was this the right time to tell him? It had to be...she would drive herself crazy with the secret. Tara sat up, closing her eyes. "I have a story to tell you. But I am not sure how you will take it. It is a confession of sorts..." She whispered. She opened her eyes to look into his for a moment. "When I was born, I had issues with my heart. There was a hole and there was a mesh put over it. It held until I was 14. When I got into a minor car accident, the stress ripped the weakened mesh." She started, looking away. "I was put in the hospital, having a machine help keeping my heart beating. I was put on the transplant list, but months went by. Until I got a miracle. A boy a year younger than me had a tragic accident and I was able to take his heart." Tara explained. She left out a lot of details on her side. She finally looked back to him. Did he understand what she was saying? "I have his heart..." She whispered to him. How would he take this?

As Tara spoke, it was almost as if everything had suddenly gone into slow motion. Her words cut him like daggers. She had known. She had known all along that she had his brother's heart. She pried about it at their interview, knowing all along what was going on. She pitied him. Had she agreed to the date to come out and tell him? There were so many unanswered questions, but at that moment in time, Evan could feel nothing but anger. For a few moments after she'd said her part, he just remained still and silent. It took what seemed like an eternity for him to finally mutter, "I can't believe you," before he lifted himself onto his feet and off of the blanket.

He turned back towards her once more to look down at her before he started walking towards the exit. A great date had all been erased with just a few words. He honestly had no idea what she was getting at. Did she take the job just to get close to him and eventually tell him? Why hadn't she told him at the restaurant? He clenched his fists as he made his way to the dugout.

He sat there still and silent. That is what she expected. He was probably in shock. But what happened next, she didn't anticipate. He had wanted to know who she was right? He made the comment that it would bring some peace to his family. He did say that right? Or did she just imagine that? She watched him as he then left her, Tara getting up to her feet and grabbing her items in the dark. She figured the picnic would be picked up by someone else. Normally, she would pick it up but she wanted to talk to him. "Evan!" She called out, trying her best to get as quickly across the grass. She finally cursed, stopping and ripping off her heels before taking into a sprint and down the dugout. She went through there as fast as she could, calling out. "Evan! Please wait!" She called out. But by the time she was in the parking lot...only her car remained. Shit... She felt her heart beating faster, her honestly just wishing it would stop for the moment. Eat beat felt like a nail bring driven into her gut, the guilty building up inside of her.

Evan didn't look back, even despite the fact that he heard Tara calling after him. He couldn't understand her thought process and the fact that it had taken her so long to reveal her true identity to him just honestly pissed him off. He got into his car quickly and drove the couple of miles to the hotel the entire team had been staying in since the start of spring training. It was a nice, modest hotel and Evan's room was on the very top floor.

He parked and made his way inside, taking the elevator up to his room. Once inside, he tossed his keys on the nightstand and collapsed onto his bed, letting out a deep sigh. "Bullshit," he muttered to himself, reaching over to grab the remote. He turned the TV on to a local sports channel, trying to hear about the buzz of spring training. He was new to the local popularity and couldn't wait to hear people actually talk about him. He thrived on the recognition. He never could think of himself as one of those celebrities who weren't receptive to their fans. On the contrary, Evan longed for the day when a stranger will approach him on the street and ask him for a picture.

Tara sighed, running her fingers through her hair. Well shit, she had just screwed this up. She didn't know where he was staying. Honestly, she could find out easily but she felt best to give him just a little time to be mad. She would call him tomorrow. Tara got into her car, driving back to her little apartment. It felt so empty now. And she just felt terrible. Why was he so mad at her? He just said he wanted to know and then when he did, he was pissed off...that made no sense. Her night was rather quiet, just her watching some TV and finishing the article before she then headed to bed early.

The next morning, she woke up and went about her normal routine. She had a meeting with her boss, him talking about the article. He said it was alright. He wasn't one for giving compliments. And then Tara called Evan. No answer. She waited like 20 minutes and another call. No answer. One more time and no answer. She finally sent a text to him. -Can we please talk?- She sent. Would he ever respond or would he just constantly give her the cold shoulder? She wondered if she should show up to his hotel. But that might look bad or something like that. She wanted to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom