Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Makes It So Special?

DelightfulRevenge

π•―π–Žπ–˜π–“π–Šπ–ž π•»π–—π–Žπ–“π–ˆπ–Šπ–˜π–˜
First off, if this is in the wrong section I apologize and would be grateful if someone can move it for me. =3 Thanks

Anyway, to the discussion. Before I start, I have a question to ask...Why everyone so into Pokemon these days? What makes it special? To me, I really don't understand how it capture people's attention but I found it really boring. However, the characters and the pokemon are pretty engaging. - Okay, maybe I can understand a few with the Pokemons itself but still. Why? Not to say it young and anything wrong about that, but it's pretty surprising to see grown people watch/roleplay with it. Lol. I still wonder if they still make new eposides. - Since that could be the cause, or whatever. Anyway... :rolleyes:

That's all I have to comment or post. I hope I didn't offense anyone... :I Just need to know why...

It's pretty weird actually, I admit. But then, to some, there's a sense of nostalgia with it, since a lot of people these days have grown up with it. But even when they didn't have that excuse, people were still pretty over-the-top into it.

People in my area are no exception, I run pen-and-paper RPGs for a group, and now we're nerck deep in a pen-and-paper Pokemon RPG.

So...yeah, that's a long way of saying I have no idea. :p

Yes, its really weird. xD Oh well, I can assume it's the popularity and how actions within the show. -shrugs-

I'm honestly hoping that someone who's much more into it than I am will answer here, and give a better inside perspective on it.

Frankly, I've been curious about it as well for awhile.

Well I really don't get it either, but then I don't see what is so great about anime or manga, the characters all look like children and are kind of the same looking. Just my opinion but until we see a Pokemon fan jump in here and explain what appeals to them about it, it looks like we are all kind of in dark about it's appeal.

Right with you there Rooster, it takes a pretty specific Anime to grab my interest. (Usually the ones that are ignoring most of the normal patterns and tropes that one associates with anime.) I mean, I despise most of them, but I'll fight to the death anyone who tried to tell me that Black Lagoon is not a very enjoyable show!

I totally agree with your point, Littlerooster. I always found Pokemon now weird these days because it was basically made for children at a certain age and to have fun. But since grown people are now watching; I was never expecting they would too have the same fond relationship... :/ Maybe they miss being a child?

Delightful - Nostalgia could be one reason for sure, liked it as a kid and still like it now, I get that to some degree. I will admit I am totally ignorant of the whole Pokemon scene (I remember when it started and it held no interest for me) so Pokemon fans don't flame me as I am just asking, how do you take a kids show and make it sexual like I see in some of the requests and doesn't that kind of destroy the childhood memory - if nostalgia is the reason for the interest that is.

Also do these characters lend themselves to development or are they pretty much one dimensional types?

Just curious now I swear!

Alvis, I just looked up Black Lagoon and I have to admit the characters look more realistic and more importantly like adults which appealed and from I can see it doesn't take itself seriously so there could be something worth checking out there.

Off the main topic of the thread: Black Lagoon is indeed worth checking out.

On to the regular topic. The reason the anime is popular enough that it's still making new episodes is partially because of nostalgia, partly because some of the 'mons themselves are awesome characters, and partly because even adults still play the games, and the anime is a tie-in to those.

The games are popular because they're a good pick-up/put-down time sink when you need something to keep your brain, eyes and hands busy. The story can also have some interesting moments, but those are more bones thrown to reward the player for playing that long. It's a distant cousin to Skyrim in that way; with Skyrim, you can load in and kill ten minutes clearing a dungeon, sometimes stumbling across something kickass for your troubles.

To explain the smutification... it's the internet. The fact that you're surprised is, in itself, surprising.

At least, this is what I gather since I enjoy PokΓ©mon but don't qualify as anything more than a dabbler, not a fan.

Yes, the internet and various other factors make it fun to corrupt things, but how does a Pokemon have sex? Are they equipped???

Considering there are breeders in the games and anime? Yes, yes they are. As for the how, that's beyond even the devout fandom; there's a thing called "Hot Skitty on Wailord Action" on one of the wikis, completely SFW, if you'd like to see how nonsensical it can get.

So, you're telling me that the internet is doing most of the work? Wow. For a second ago, I thought it was mainly the shows/characters that hooks the person; not the the internet. :/ However, I can understand why it's addicting when it comes to Pokemon games...

I don't care for the anime, but I do enjoy the games and I do enjoy the concept behind Pokemon. Having the ability to catch dozens of different monsters and training them to fight or do different things? Yeah, count me in.

__N o v i.S n o w said:
Honestly that's how I feel with this My little Pony pandemic.

-nods-

Back
Top Bottom