Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Healing a king and a kingdom (yajirobe and silverdreamer)

Eri smiled at his willingness to come out with her the following the day and hoped when the day came he would still be as willing to do so. "I do not know if I shall be able to see you a new world Sire but I hope to remind you of what is out there." She watched him as he quickly said he had to leave her and caught her off guard as he delivered a kiss to her head. She managed to curb the look of surprise on her face by the time he looked at her. "I would hope they love me as much as yours clearly love you."

She ate the last of her food and noted how much he had left. Once she had finished she took the tray and dishes to the kitchen and retired to her room also. Once she had entered the her room she quickly washed and changed into her night gown once more and returned to the plant she had planted the previous night. Already a couple of small green stems were showing. Her hands hovered over the greenery for a few minutes as the glow enveloped her hands once more. Again the simple spell seemed to drain her and she fell into her bed her eyes already closed. Still she managed to murmur the words she had of the night before. "Sleep well and sweet dreams Alfred. "

The dreams in ehr mind that night were of home. Of the green fields and tall, broad trees that surrounded her fathers keep. Of the warm sunshine and gentle breezes.

Alfred went to sleep and for the second night in a row he had the most pleasant dreams but they were not about his former love, he felt so guilty about them when he woke up. He had no idea why, but he was dreaming about Eri, and he had to admit on this second night of his dreams, he had a dream that would cause pretty much any man to blush if they saw what he was doing with the beautiful woman. It made him feel even more guilty for feeling as though he was attracted to another woman, and worried that he was dishonoring the memory of his late love by having such dreams. He slipped out of bed that morning and headed down to get something to eat after he got ready fast.

He had a light breakfast as he knew that he was going to spend the day with Eri. He had cleared his calendar and hoped that he could see the world with the woman. He wasn't sure what it was about her, but she had a natural charismatic nature to her that made her very appealing to Alfred. Alfred knew that going outside with her would give him time to figure out what it was that made her so different and made him think about her while she was around to a large degree. He figured this trip would be great for him on so many different levels and on each he would be able to learn more about what he needed to do.

She woke up the following morning just as the sun crept up to the horizon. She washed and dressed quickly, once more the clothing she selected was more practical rather than what many deemed appropriate for a lady. A pair of trousers clung to her legs snugly and a pair of thick soled walking boots on her feet. She pulled on a pale green blouse and cinched it at the waist with a decorative belt. Her copper coloured hair she brushed and fastened into a plait that fell down to just above her buttocks.

She then packed a small, light weight traveling bag that she could put some seeds in, a soft but dark and long piece of cloth. a couple of vials of cold water and a few other items . She simply had to hope the King had not changed his mind and decided to remain in his hall where it was safe.

She walked down tot he kitchen and was given a large bowl of milky oats and sweet fruits which she ate in the corner of the kitchen. The staff also passed her a small basket that contained food should her and the King be out the majority of the day. She thanked the staff before she made her way to a small side entrance to the castle and watched for the King to appear.

Alfred was wearing his kingly robes they were just cleaned, and they looked pretty good on the man, he had these made not that long ago, and thus were not overly big on his much smaller then used to be body. He waited as he knew that she would arrive and then walked out and saw her and smiled blushing as he remembered the dream he had and looking down a bit for a moment as he shook his head refocusing his mind as he walked over to where Eri was standing.

"Good morning, Eri," he said softly as he looked at her hesitantly after a moment or two his look returning to normal, "We are going on a walk today correct, so why don't you lead the way this morning," he said gently as he looked at her. He stood there and it was more noticable now, the lack of sun he had, he might could of even passed for a famed vampire with how pale he was looking it was not a good sign really though and he was starting to realize it as well.

Her eyes took in the sight of him and a faint smirk touched her lips at the sight of him in the robes. She shook her head slightly. While she had selected practical attire that could get torn or dirty without any true concern she was not so sure about his own robes. As he neared she smiled at him gently and opened the door to let the fresh air wash over him. "Good morning Sire and that we are. Unless you have any other business you must attend to first." At his words of her leading the way she moved through the small archway and down the steps that lead down to a small cobble stones court yard.

The day had been the same as she arrived two days before. The sun hid behind large clouds that seemed drawn to the kingdom. Only at the horizon did the sky reveal itself to be warm blue. "Your staff prepared us some food should we be gone a while."

He looked at her as he nodded his head, "It is a good morning indeed, my lady,' he said with the most pleasant and upbeat tone he had since she had been there. He used his hand to shield his eyes as he got used to walking outside, he smiled as he looked over at her. "You know once, I was a pretty good gardener," he said with a kind smile as he remembered back to the days long before or what seemed like long before now. "I had a field of cherry trees, and orange trees and even apples, as well as fields of roses, tulips and other flowers," he said as he walked looking past what he saw to the past sometimes with the young woman, he knew it wasn't so bad, it wasn't to bright.

"So, what place is out here worth seeing," he asked as he walked along the road, as he saw a person he stopped and walked over greeting the person, he had small talk for a moment before walking back over to Eri. Alfred was smiling a bit, "it seems our kingdom will grow by one in a half year or so," he mused to her as he knew she would be able to figure out the news that he had been told by the man, his tone showed just how much he deeply cared for his people.

She smiled as he came down the stairs and she listened to him quietly. She did not follow him when he walked across to speak to one of his people but instead waited for him until he returned. She smiled broadly at his news. "I shall be certain to ready them a gift or two for when the time draws closer to the bairn being born." She considered her next action before she committed it. She slowly slid her arm through his own and began to lead him through the old maze beyond the courtyard. Even here the plants still slumbered with darkened leaves of winter rather than green and strong.

"Perhaps when you have time and feel able and willing you will show me your skills as a gardener." The arm through his own was not intimate nor did it suggest there was anything more to their time together beyond companions. Once they were over half way through the maze she slid her hand out of his and reached into her bag to take out the large, thin cloth she had brought with her. "You wished me to show you what is new that I can show you?" She carefully stepped around and behind him as she brought the material up above his head. "Are you ready for me to show you?" It appeared she planned on blindfolding him.

The king nodded his head as he looked at Eri, he knew that she was holding his arm as a friend would. It was nice to have a friend, friendship was important to Alfred, and he was considering the woman next to him to be one of them. He smiled as he nodded his head, he could work on that. "Yes, I will, I need to get to work on the castle grounds redoing all the gardens for the festival. I want the town to look its best for those days, I hear that we are suppose to get a lot of interesting acts in town when that happens," he said softly as he looked at her.

He nodded his head as he looked at her, he was curious as to what she wanted to show him. By nature, he was a curious man, it was just part of what made his last love fall for him, as well as his kindness and how good of a heart he had. He nodded his head as he saw the material, he trusted her, and nodded his head. He closed his eyes and held out his hands so that she could take one and lead him wherever she wanted to take him.

She smiled at the mention of the festival and nodded her head slowly. "I had heard about the festival. I look forward to seeing it should I still be here." She said softly as her gaze traveled around the area to be sure they would not be seen. She did not wish any to believe that she was putting the King in danger or attempting to snare him.

Once she was certain she fastened the material carefully and gently around his head and formed a simply knot at the back of his head. Once she was certain it would not fall free of it's own and that he could not see through the material. She stepped away from him and watched him a moment. As he reached out his hand she forced herself to step away from him. "I shall show you but now you need to find your own way. Just know I am not leaving you alone." With that she stepped away but made a noise on purpose for him to follow. It was a hard lesson, perhaps a little cruel and certainly a scary one and perhaps she was attempting to teach it far too soon.

None the lesson she had to make him realize what he was doing now, is what he had been doing since his wife had passed away. He was blind and stumbling in the dark, for a time it would of only truly affected him but now it was affecting his people, affecting his Kingdom and in time it would spread to those that surrounded his domain. A look of nervousness combined with hesitation and concern showed itself on her face unseen by him. "It is time for you to see what you have been doing to yourself for a long time now."

The king looked into the darkness of the blindfold, he had no idea what was going on around him. He looked at the nothingness, he had to fine a way, he did his best, he was a stubborn man and a prideful one as well. He used as his hands to find a building or at least try to find a building, he didn't see the curb and fell forward and landed on his shoulder turning to protect himself as he got up. He wasn't the type to give up so easy, at anything, he was a determined man, a man who had a determination that his people loved when he was younger and even now.

Alfred used the building as a post to figure out where he was going as he moved forward, his focus on hoping to find the place he had to find and find this woman as well. He last grip off the house and lost his footing again and then face planted into the sidewalk as he looked down he pushed himself up for a third time this time he moved forward, not a couple of feet before he slipped as he didn't see the curb and landed on his back and just laid there, he had his limits and he had reached his limits rather quickly three times seemed like enough to realize that he wasn't going to find where he was going. He couldn't the test was unfair meaning that she had to had done it for a reason.

She watched as he began to move in the dark. She watched his hands rise up and outwards to try and find something to guide him along. She winced as he fell the first time, second and third time. She shook her head slightly as the third time he seemed to have given up. She moved towards him, he would hear her feet tap gently on the stones beneath her feet until she seemed to be stood right next time.

"Is this what you plan on doing?" She asked the question quietly as she knelt down besides him. He would feel what was likely the point of her knee catch his arm as she settled. "Are you going to simply lay here and wait? What are you trying to find?" She wondered if he had ever been angry at his wife's death. Had he ever let it surge through him and escape or had he simply pushed it downwards, buried it beneath the calm exterior so he could lose himself in the dark that had engulfed him.

"I can and will help you..but you have to want me to. No matter how much it hurts...before you lose everything." She rose to her feet once more and looked down to him before she reached down so that her hand touched his to indicate she would help him up if he wished it. "Are you going to remain in the dark? Or finally open your eyes again?"

The king figured it out as he laid there looking up he looked at nothing but had his eyes closed as well, he heard her words and took a deep breath, "I was going to wait for help, actually going to try to find my way to that house and use it as a support and hope some kind person came to help me," he said honestly,"I can't see, this test isn't a lesson correct,' He said as he took a deep breat as he sat up and looked in the direction of the voice and took a deep breath and thought about it for along hard moment as he knew but feared something.

"I know, I must come into the light, but I fear forgetting, I fear forgetting her, losing her memories in my mind, the great moments, I fear if I go into the light she will disappear from my mind for ever," he said as he took an deep breath looking down at nothing still as he couldn't see, "I know, I can feel my own weakness, it has been easy to note since you got here, and I know I am weaker than ever. I do want your help," he said as he let out a sigh, "I just fear losing her, part of me as never let her go, I guess, and that fear has kept me in this darkness that you have done so well of showing me."

"I will have to admit, no help would be coming any time soon. It is just me and you here. I did not wish for any one to think I was about to kidnap you or harm you. You would be waiting for quite some time if that was all you was going to do."

She smiled softly as his words as she helped him sit up supported him until she was certain he would not simply fall backwards and hit the ground hard. "I do not think you need to fear forgetting her, you will never lose her entirely as long as you carry her memory with love and understanding of all the lessons she ever tried to teach you...I do think though if you continue on this path you may betray all of that by refusing to live for anything but her any longer."

She moved around him until she was stood before him so she could bring her hands down to his own and gently guided him to his feet. "Your wife would not wish you to live in the dark where it is safe and comforting..but all together false. It is time to wake up."

He thought about it and he nodded his head, "I have been thinking about that actually recently," he said as he looked down for a moment, "I don't dream of her anymore as I used to, but she is still in my heart, I want to wake up, I have to wake up," he said as he looked down not seeing anything still, "I want to and have to be the people that my people need me to be, I have to be a good king again," he said calmly as he felt her hand and got to his feet, "I want to be the type of man that does what is right and stops what is wrong and knows the difference between both, and I have to see to do so," he added as he looked no where letting out a deep long sigh.

"Now, Eri please take off the blindfold, I think you have made your point rather well," he said as he guessed where she was standing, "I need someone by my side, without that, without you by my side, I am sure that I will lapse, I have been dreaming of you, unless you have been making some magic to make that happen, I can tell you I am very attracted to you," he said honestly, "I see why my wife thought I should marry you before she died," he said remembering her comment about her letter, "please, I know that I am not that great, but given time, I am sure we can make something of this relationship between us."

She listened to him patiently and silently without interruption as he spoke. Her father had long learned that a lot more information could be gained when a person was permitted to simply say what ever was in their mind. "I am glad that such has been thought of before my arrival. It means you are genuinely ready rather than feeling forced to do so by me. You do need to be a good King and I am sure you shall be when the time comes..everything shall fall into place. "

"As you wish Sire." She referred to the fact that he wished her to remove the blindfold. Very carefully she released his hands but took long enough that he had his own balance and he knew what she was doing. She carefully stepped around him and reached up to unfasten the blindfold but paused as he spoke of his dreams a soft smile touched her lips at the information. "My magic only gives me the ability to grant sweet dreams so a person can rest , what ever you dreamed of in those dreams. I had no creation in that. That was your own mind I just stopped any night mares from gaining entry is all."

She brought the blindfold down as her gaze focused on the back of his head. "Your sweet dreams involved me?" She tilted her head to the side out of curiosity and surprise at his openness. "Let us take each day at a time shall we. You are a good man, a good King and certainly a worthy partner I am sure but soon daughters of other royalties shall come to try and woo your hand. Do not make any decision hastily." She knew soon they would come. Once news spread that the King was showing signs of being ready to take a new wife, fathers would send daughters to him. He would soon have a variety of choice and she did not wish to hold him to anything he promised while still finding his way once more.

Alfred followed her example, though part of it was cause he was getting used to the light again, he heard her statements and nodded his head and then blushed abit as he knew that it was him that was dreaming about her, "Well lets just say, they are not so um...clean dreams," he said having no other idea of how to put it into words for her before he looked at her and nodded his head, he could understand her angle, and it made sense, he would seem like that he would take the first person once he gain himself again, but that he didn't think was the case. He figured though it wouldn't hurt to be make quick choose, she was right about that, he did have to think about the best interest of the kingdom as well. He knew that was the case and he planned on doing so.

"Let me change the deal, you stay here, till the point comes that I am going to get married at least," he said as he looked at her, "also do not take yourself out of the running, we shall see what time has instore for us and prehaps you would be a far better choose than any foreign princess," he said looking at her, "Yet, I will keep an open mind as well as open eyes for I have to marry who is not only best for me, but best for my people," he said using the words carefully, as he was reminded of that fact by her words. "I will meet with others but I think I have an idea."

He smiled as he looked at her, "I will work towards improving each and every day, and in time we have a festival, I will set about that time to determine who my wife is, that moment is still a good number of months away," he said looking at Ella for a long moment before taking her hand, "Now, you promised to show me around, so shall we be off my lady," he said with a smile as he reminded her of her promise to him.

She smiled gently as once more the King blushed and was honest about the state of the dreams he had been having. "I think that is quite normal and I would not place too much if any concern in it." She showed no sensation of embarrassment at the knowledge of what the King had been dreaming. It helped that he had spared her much of the deep details.

She nodded her head slightly to his change of agreement. "I agree with that and I shall also help you make a wise choice on your next wife and remain neutral when they start to arrive to try and court you. Just..try not to be ..caught up in their ..blatant attempts to capture your attentions."

As he took her hand she gave it a gentle squeeze before she nodded her head once more and began to lead him out of the maze and towards one of the large gardens. There was many steps to climb up to it. It was a garden that had not received any care for quite a while but it had an extraordinary view from it position.

She opened the rusty gate at the bottom of the steps and indicated for him to go first. Before there laid several tiers of steps that she counted added up to just over a hundred steps altogether." I am ready when you are Sire."

He looked at the area ahead of them, and nodded his head as he could see that the garden looked horrible, he saw that the shed was still where it was always as he walked down towards the garden with the young woman. "Good, I am glad we could come to an agreement, and I won't make a choose no matter what till I get to the festival, it would be best that way," he said as he reached the garden. He opened the door to the shed and took out some simple tools and started to pick the weeds and rocks working to clean out a section of the garden at a time, It was going to take him a few days to clean the whole area out, as it would need the tender loving care, he could tell that it was going to be very important to use this as a way to get back in shape.

Alfred looked up as he smiled at the young woman, "So, what do you think we should use this spot for, I wasn't sure what type of garden to make, I mean flowers area fun, but so is growing something that one can enjoy like fruits or grapes, and the like," he suggested as he looked up at Eri as he continued to pull the weeds and the stubborn rocks from the ground. He tried to picture what he wanted to do with the area as he worked. He was man who liked to work with a clear goal in his mind and this no difference.

Once they had climbed the steps with ease she simply watched him for a few minutes as he walked towards the shed and gathered the old tools to begin work. She said nothing unless he spoke. She walked around the garden and picked up any rubbish that had been left or blown onto the garden. She examined stones that could be of use for decoration and made another pile that would need to be removed.

"I think perhaps it should be a herb garden, you can use it to flavour foods or help healing, ease child birth. You could grow lavender, rosemary,thyme, parsley and many others here if that idea appeals to you. We could also create a small area of calm here."

"A herb garden, that will work, it will also create a pleasant smell when people are in the area," he said as he remembered seeing on in a different kingdom that wasn't to far away. He could get the seeds and would most likely work on it the next day, he stopped at lunch and walked over an poked Eri in the back as he smiled at her, and looked at her organization as she cleaned up her area, "So, what did you bring for lunch for us, my lady," he asked with as kind tone as he looked at her, this work was going well, but he was hungry from it though.

He was pumped about the moment, and he was pumped about remaking the garden with help. He knew that without the help, without the lesson, he would of been in deep trouble. He knew that he had a path to follow, and he knew that he had to keep along said path, so that he could gain back what he had let slip though his fingers carelessly. He knew that his late love would never want him to be unhappy, and that she had accepted the idea of him being with someone else after her own passing. He looked at Eri and smiled as he was glad that the woman had come to his kingdom and had help out in the fashion that she had. It was a new begging he felt as he looked at her.

A couple pf hours passed as they worked on the garden. She removed the simple cloak she had put on as the heat of the day grew and she began to sweat. She hung the cloak up on a small branch and looked to the basket the staff had provided them just before she felt a gentle poke against her lower back. The act made her jump slightly and turn around with a smile. "Truth be told I do not know. The staff prepared it for us so your guess is as good as mine."

She looked over his form at the state of his attire and shook her head gently. "Remind me to make you some more practical attire for gardening over the next couple of days. I shall measure you up later on when we are back at the castle." She opened the basket and sat down besides it as she examined the goods within. "It looks like we have fruit, cheeses, chicken, breads and something that smells very sweet."

He smiled as he saw that she jumped up, he could tell that she was surprised, most likely he could guess that she very much focused on her work. He smiled as she turned to him, and made her comments to him. He knew what she meant, it was a mystery, to find out what was made. Yet, in a way that made it far more interesting and made him feel far more curious about what the contents of the basket happened to be. He eyed the basked with the look showing his curiosity, a smile on his face as he waited for her.

He blinked as he looked at himself and looked up at Eri, Alfred nodded his head as he looked at his fancy but nearly useless clothes. "Yeah, that would be a great deal of help," he said with a nod of his head and then looked back at the basket as it was opened. He smiled as he saw the food ant sat down, he looked it over and grabbed the bread and cheese and then started to make himself a sandwich to eat as he figured that it would be a good way to use the supplies he had as well as the fruit to go as a said for the meal, "well, it will work well."

She settled down on the opposite side of the basket as she watched him take what he desired from the basket. Once he appeared to have what he wanted for the time being she took out what she desired to. She selected some fruits and the cheese as well as some chicken which she placed between some bread and then ate thoughtfully as her gaze explored the garden.

"Now you are awake is there anything you wish to do that you have not done recently?"

Alfred enjoyed the tase of the food, he never could overestimate the skills of the cooks who worked for him, they were good, great in his opinion, he thought about something though as he looked up and looked at Eri for a long moment before she had asked his question.He smiled at her question for a moment, it echoed in his ears as he thought about it, realizing the scope of all the things he had put aside in the last year and a half due to the situation that he happened to find himself in.

"Well, yes, there are many hobbies that I used to have, that I haven't not followed up on recently," he commented to her with a honest tone as he rubbed his chin with his fingers, "for example, I used to do a lot of painting believe it or not, the painting of my wife in the library, that you I am sure have notice, I did that," he said with a bit of pride in his tone as he looked at her, he was at one time very good, it was either learn art as a prince or music, he went with the first as he cultural advancement. "Now I do have a question for you, could you cook for me sometime?"

She watched him intently as he spoke of the hobbies he had long ceased to continue. At the mention of the picture she smiled gently as she nodded her head slightly between mouthfuls of sweet berries. "I did see that. I admired it for quite a while when I was cleaning the room. You are very good with that skill and certainly should take it up again when you feel ready."

She took a bite out of some cheese just as he asked his next question and for a few moments the cheese seemed to swell in her throat before she managed to swallow it. "I am willing to cook for you though I will have to warn you now it shall not be as good as the food your staff prepare for you.. I can make soups quite well and roast meats and my father claims I make herbed potatoes that are divine but I think he just attempts to have me wed before any man is foolish enough to try my cooking and be put off!"

Back
Top Bottom