Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PM limits. BACK UP YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES TO A THREAD!

Re: Alright, PM limits

Trygon said:
Mr Master said:
If it's at all like limits I've dealt with before, it'll be a limit on storage. Which can be dealt with by pruning and offloading. But that can still be a pain in the ass, so threads end up being more economical.

I don't think it'll change the hardcore PM RPers; they'll find ways to deal with the limits. But anybody who's on the fence, it ought to help push them toward threads, all else being equal.

And Try, yeah, the existing methods work well enough, but I'd still like one-click bookmark access; dunno why we have to go through control panel before getting bookmarks anyway, if they're supposed to be a good and recommended thread-tracking method in the first place.
^This.

I'll look into the bookmarks, but I wouldn't expect anything promptly. Still a bit outside my immediate grasp.

The cap would be an overall limit on storage. As I've seen a lot of people shooting at 700 on the low end, that would probably be where I'd cap your PM box, for all folders combined. I'd imagine the system will automatically delete all PMs of yours older then 700. While this is by no means a set, promised course of action, some of the highest users on that list have some work ahead of them - They may want to start saving what they'd like to keep now.
I just went from 500-something to less than 200 by deleting up to november or december.

While I'm not TOO high on that list, I'm still going to get to work saving what I want.

Trygon said:
^This.

I'll look into the bookmarks, but I wouldn't expect anything promptly. Still a bit outside my immediate grasp.

The cap would be an overall limit on storage. As I've seen a lot of people shooting at 700 on the low end, that would probably be where I'd cap your PM box, for all folders combined. I'd imagine the system will automatically delete all PMs of yours older then 700. While this is by no means a set, promised course of action, some of the highest users on that list have some work ahead of them - They may want to start saving what they'd like to keep now.

Remember to contact me so we can give plenty of fair warning so people can save their roleplays and such.

Preferably to threads >_>

Vekseid made the excellent suggestion to give recruiters/supporters and staff unlimited PM boxes.

Limitation on PMs would be bothersome, but not troublesome. It would cause problems for a little bit, but not in the long run. Giving unlimited to Staffers and supporters is a great idea.

Trygon said:
Vekseid made the excellent suggestion to give recruiters/supporters and staff unlimited PM boxes.
I like this idea. Now, while I understand that the name for recruiters/supporters is permanent, will the unlimited PM boxes also be permanent for those accounts? Meaning will they have to contribute support/recruit once, or will they have to do so every so often?

I'm asking because many sites end the benefits for contributes as soon as a certain time frame is up. Though, from what I can gather, I doubt that will be the case. I'm also assuming that as soon as a staff member is no longer of sorts, that they will no longer have an unlimited PM box. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex said:
Trygon said:
I like this idea. Now, while I understand that the name for recruiters/supporters is permanent, will the unlimited PM boxes also be permanent for those accounts? Meaning will they have to contribute support/recruit once, or will they have to do so every so often?

I'm asking because many sites end the benefits for contributes as soon as a certain time frame is up. Though, from what I can gather, I doubt that will be the case. I'm also assuming that as soon as a staff member is no longer of sorts, that they will no longer have an unlimited PM box. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No such thing as a permanent status. Well, I suppose a Supporter is probably never gonna have those privileges revoked, but while I've never demoted a recruiter before without their express request, I'd probably crack down with this benefit. Same goes for staff - With removal of your special permissions comes the loss of this perk.

Okay, I don't see what the big deal is now. If you have 500+ PMs in your Inbox you need to delete some. Seriously, I'm behind and I hate the clutter. I'm trying to narrow down just the important and recent (one or two months old) stuff.

But I do acknowledge the issue of when you delete a past PM (or PM reply) in a long line of them you lose that info. Anyway to preserve that in the subsequent messages?

Trygon said:

As a recent supporter I fully support this idea and I think DareToDream is right, it would probably encourage a lot more people to donate.

Alex said:

There are some people that only donate $2 and while the sentiment is nice, I'll probably put a minimum on what counts. Especially considering most have donated $25 or more.

I could make it subscriber based, but that ends up being rather wonkey.

I think we should have a Donate button *nodnod* I understand the "Support Blue Moon" link but some of us may want to be more discrete with our donations and may not want to go through the whole hassle of wanting to contact the person to just donate.

TakodaVega said:
I think we should have a Donate button *nodnod* I understand the "Support Blue Moon" link but some of us may want to be more discrete with our donations and may not want to go through the whole hassle of wanting to contact the person to just donate.

There is actually a donation button, on another page on a non-adult domain. I just prefer not to link it directly : )

For some of people [unless by some miracle I'm completely unique, in which case, Yaya!]...our behaviour here is the same as on Elliquiy and other sites. That is, there is a group of people which lurk and use IMs and PMs primarily (although it is a bit of a generalization, on E for instance I almost never use my PMs beyond my immediate knee jerk reaction to suggest getting rid of my account there at one point because a feature I assumed would exist didn't.).

If it became inconvenient for me to use PMs, as in the loss of my 'convenient log', so to speak, for that RP would be lethal to my interest in this site beyond simply showing up and looking for IM-based RP. Which is probably not behaviour you want to encourage, either. You could ban people looking for only IM RP, delete their posts, etc. I suppose.

I guess what I'm saying is...reducing the effectiveness of PM RP may not be as productive as you think and a carrot would be a better choice of methodology. (e.g. Your post count in RP forums actually meant something beyond a #.) And no, tying it to the PM numbers would not be a good choice since that goes to the previous problem. xD

Trygon said:
Alistair Thorne said:
Your post count in RP forums actually meant something beyond a #
Suggestions?
I think he's suggesting something like PM limits tied into post counts, maybe via rank or something. The more you post, the more you can PM, etc. Which would encourage more OOC participation, at the very least.

Trygon said:
Alistair Thorne said:
Suggestions?

* Colored Titles (not names) at X # of posts (say, 2000?)
* Custom Titles at X # of posts (Say, 500?)
* Avatars at X # of posts (Say, 10?)
* Your own subform for RPs (Say, 1000?)

Basically, anything you can easily let the user customize (but won't piss off people by limiting by post count), they might enjoy, etc.

@Mr Master
I was saying only to count IC posts in the post count thereby limiting to IC RP that 'mattered'. But that was also just a suggestion.

Some of that would require Trygon learning how to mod in order to retain his sanity. Points are possible.

Alistair Thorne said:
Trygon said:
Alistair Thorne said:
Suggestions?

* Colored Titles (not names) at X # of posts (say, 2000?)
* Custom Titles at X # of posts (Say, 500?)
* Avatars at X # of posts (Say, 10?)
* Your own subform for RPs (Say, 1000?)

Basically, anything you can easily let the user customize (but won't piss off people by limiting by post count), they might enjoy, etc.

@Mr Master
I was saying only to count IC posts in the post count thereby limiting to IC RP that 'mattered'. But that was also just a suggestion.
I would agree with the ideas, but they have to be more expensive. We have a lot of people (over 1k as I last check) But only somewhere around 70 of them have 1000 or more posts? and The top ten starts at about 3500? And This forum is a year old!

So i'm thinking around 4000/3000/10/2000, respectively.

But, care to tell what you mean by subforum?

Master's Forums, ala old DeRP. I've considered the idea before, but they tend to increase clutter and rarely get used.

For both individual subforums and custom titles, I like to keep those in reserve for people that distinguish themselves in a fashion other then ruthless postwhoring, The colored titles are a possibility, although a bit beyond me at the moment, but I dislike the idea of restricting avatars. You use them or you don't, why restrict it?

Actually, my idea is based more on dndonlinegames or mythweavers than that. :p

@Vekseid
Ya, if Trygon doesn't have the time to do serious modding...serious carrots aren't likely.

It was just a thought...carrots work better (since they almost never upset anyone) than sticks imo.

BlisteredBlood said:
Moreover, isn't the first couple of ideas what you do over at E?

Nope. Group games get their own forum when over 1k posts, but this is primarily to selectively declutter the forums themselves and give game managers more power. More forums is usually a bad idea.

A high post count group (say at 10k) would be fine.

Making Blue Moon an adult version of Myth-Weavers or dndonlinegames is an option, of course. That's up to Trygon learning fast >_>

Ah. I gotcha.

But I suppose what I was thinking is this - and you have every right to say otherwise - I was thinking that maybe BM would attempt to be a sort of "evil twin" compared to E if it did something along those lines. Well, aside from the whole phpbb vs. SMF ordeal, anyway. *ahem* <_<

BlisteredBlood said:
Ah. I gotcha.

But I suppose what I was thinking is this - and you have every right to say otherwise - I was thinking that maybe BM would attempt to be a sort of "evil twin" compared to E if it did something along those lines. Well, aside from the whole phpbb vs. SMF ordeal, anyway. *ahem* <_<
Ew, no. Uniqueness ftw. Elliquiy's format has worked well - Incredibly well, actually, but duplicating it would just make us redundant and pointless.

Back
Top Bottom