Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PM limits. BACK UP YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES TO A THREAD!

Re: Alright, PM limits

Bast the Cat Goddess said:
Hey Vekseid..

The ones who use pms are probably the ones that don't hang out in GD or any OOC board, right?

I think if you cap the PMs..

They'll get upset and all wonder why you did it. Just my theory though.

Obviously we'll have a nice big warning before any changes are made.

Ultimately some people will be pissed off. The 80/20 rule, along with its solutions, applies here if push comes to shove.

You should warn people about the limits before you do them, just so no one loses any PMs.

Also perhaps consider adding an option to save memorable PMs in a separate folder or something of the sort.

Trygon said:
If I were to find a way to make the subscription function more robust, either by mod or whathaveyou, would the frequent PM users feel less stung about enstating a PM limit?
Personally I use "View Your Posts" almost exclusively, and occasionally check up on bookmarks or the straight forums. If you had, like, a one-click to your bookmarks, that would make things easier right there. Between view your posts and bookmarks, that should handle most folks, I would think.

Lokas Phoenix said:
Also perhaps consider adding an option to save memorable PMs in a separate folder or something of the sort.
I know you can make folders to sort your PMs. Just go to your inbox for your PMs. Go down the list under "Private Messages" to the section called "Rules, Folders, & Settings"

There's an option to add folders or remove them if you wish. There are also folder options towards the bottom so that you can keep from losing your favourite PMs.

Ilovegoatse said:
Lokas Phoenix said:
I know you can make folders to sort your PMs. Just go to your inbox for your PMs. Go down the list under "Private Messages" to the section called "Rules, Folders, & Settings"

There's an option to add folders or remove them if you wish. There are also folder options towards the bottom so that you can keep from losing your favourite PMs.
Ahah! Thank you very much.

Mr Master said:
Trygon said:
If I were to find a way to make the subscription function more robust, either by mod or whathaveyou, would the frequent PM users feel less stung about enstating a PM limit?
Personally I use "View Your Posts" almost exclusively, and occasionally check up on bookmarks or the straight forums. If you had, like, a one-click to your bookmarks, that would make things easier right there. Between view your posts and bookmarks, that should handle most folks, I would think.

I'm confused, what's the difference between this and subscribing to a thread? With subscribing I am instantly (upon refreshing) told when the thread is replied to. And you can subscribe to forum sections (like GD, for instance) and know when a thread is replied to or even created. It's very handy and seems to be lees time consuming that bookmarking (in that you don't have to actually look to see if the thread has been replied to). But maybe that's just me?

vampire seduction said:
Mr Master said:
Trygon said:

I'm confused, what's the difference between this and subscribing to a thread? With subscribing I am instantly (upon refreshing) told when the thread is replied to. And you can subscribe to forum sections (like GD, for instance) and know when a thread is replied to or even created. It's very handy and seems to be lees time consuming that bookmarking (in that you don't have to actually look to see if the thread has been replied to). But maybe that's just me?
I use both subscription and bookmark. I subscribe my rp's to get alerts when they are posted to, and to keep track of them. I bookmark rp's that I'm reading of others so I can find them fast, but I don't want alerts to. I don't bother doing that to the OOC forums.

I think we should have a cap on it. Not many people are doing rp's from January of last year (I may find 1 or 2 on the forums), and anything older than a few months usually isn't used or read. So maybe 1000 pm's.

So you're going to do what? Oo; You're going to limit the amount of PMs per day we can do or you're going to limit how much is in our inbox?

I'm a private kind of guy and I'm rather uncomfortable with throwing out an RP so everyone can see it. I understand where you guys are coming from but some people just prefer to play in PMs rather than threads. To me, it's more personal, it's easier for me to keep up with since I always forget to check threads...

Just my thoughts. I made the list and I've been a member since January, so 2k PMs are strictly roleplaying.

I like the thought of a cap, to try and get the users to post to the forum itself. Blue Moon is actually a lot more active than it seems, when it comes to PM'S. I didn't even make the list, so obviously I don't PM too much. Like Vekseid pointed out though, we're not a surrogate e-mail. If they are too shy to roleplay in the open, like the forum itself, that's what messengers and actual e-mails are for. We're not a site made for e-mailing.

At least that's what I think.

• Hm.. while I understand where you're coming from Anjeru, I do have to question: if BM did that to get activity, wouldn't the flip side be that it could potentially drive people AWAY? I mean, I don't post a huge amount, but even those who PM rp post in the threads almost at a daily basis.

I understand that BM isn't a surrogate e-mail, but the freedom of choosing our medium in BM is what makes the site attractive. PM is slightly different from emails or messengers, based on the fact that it takes it at our pace (I'm assuming not all of us can keep up with messenger RPs), and emails can clutter our personal things; assuming that not everyone makes a new email for every site they join. I think if we want activity, then it's just recruiting, not forcing our current--seemingly loyal member--into a zone they don't prefer, and to look for another site.

Our chatting, outside of RP'ing, seems to be active in post numbers, though, so I have to wonder why is it so important for people to RP via the threads. Is it some server thing I just don't know about? ^^'

o.o Well, hope I made sense... your comment just inspired thought in me ^^'[/list:u]

HKitten said:
  • Our chatting, outside of RP'ing, seems to be active in post numbers, though, so I have to wonder why is it so important for people to RP via the threads. Is it some server thing I just don't know about? ^^'[/list:u]

• I think Vek addressed this a bit earlier.

When we have thread activity, it shows up better when search engines evaluate us, it shows lots of new original content, and more growth and activity. That, in turn, attracts new people who are just looking for good adult-scale RP, and also helps our exposure in other ways, I'm not sure exactly. But publicly-available activity = good for the site, is the thing.

As for limits, I know old DERP had I think a 100 PM limit in each folder, and I think a limit of 3 personal folders. That was... hard to manage. A larger limit, either in total PMs saved or in number of folders or both, would ease the potential hardship, but it's still good to encourage public threads.

As far as switching from PM to thread, I've lost my shyness about it, mostly because there's so much out there, people aren't going to judge you based on what stuff you're pulling. Subject matter depends so greatly on the two people involved, nobody ought to be blamed or judged for the content of their RP threads (Trygon's anti-furry bias aside, of course). And I have actually found that my public threads have attracted more folks than I'm entirely able to handle. If you're any good, they'll do that to you, too. If you're not... you're not likely to get a lot of notice one way or another. And the vast majority of you won't have to worry about being ridiculed; hardly anybody has roleplaying skill of epic fail, so you're safe. It's just a matter of being comfy with it, and you can't be comfy with it if you never try it. Trust me, it's not as difficult as you think.

PS: Subscriptions aren't bad, but I don't always like to be interrupted when something happens. It's a personal thing. If there was a counter that said when your bookmarks had activity, like there is up at the top when you have a PM, that might work for my style better. Or... maybe I need to learn a new style? I can be flexible, so I'm trying to practice what I preach.

Just like H said, I know that BM isn't a surrogate email or whatever. However, forcing people into posting in threads is only going to turn people away. :/

So far the consensus seems to be that current tools are effective for managing threads, and most people, even a decent contingent of the PM roleplayers, find a limit to be acceptable. Anyone who disagrees with these conclusions had best voice a compelling argument to the contrary now.

This requires me to investigate the subscription thing....

Trygon, are we talking about there being a limit as to how much you can hold in your inbox, or how much you can send a day or whatever?

Trygon said:
So far the consensus seems to be that current tools are effective for managing threads, and most people, even a decent contingent of the PM roleplayers, find a limit to be acceptable. Anyone who disagrees with these conclusions had best voice a compelling argument to the contrary now.

My only hope is that the cap isn't painfully small. I'd like to continue my PM roleplaying here where I can keep things organized as well as centralized. I dunno...

I may have to take Anjeru's comment to heart and consider simply using the site for recruiting and do my playing through gmail or something. I don't see a cap on PM's changing my tendency towards privacy in roleplaying though, and I don't know if it would for anyone else like me (such as punkjello it seems.) If that's the goal of a cap I don't know how effective it would be.

If it truly straps down roleplaying in pm's, make a folder for each roleplay you do in there, and throw them in there every time. At 1000 pm's a folder, that means it's 2000 posts in the forum total for the rp. Not many rp's last that long.

That's true....

Yeah that wouldn't be so bad at all.

If it's at all like limits I've dealt with before, it'll be a limit on storage. Which can be dealt with by pruning and offloading. But that can still be a pain in the ass, so threads end up being more economical.

I don't think it'll change the hardcore PM RPers; they'll find ways to deal with the limits. But anybody who's on the fence, it ought to help push them toward threads, all else being equal.

And Try, yeah, the existing methods work well enough, but I'd still like one-click bookmark access; dunno why we have to go through control panel before getting bookmarks anyway, if they're supposed to be a good and recommended thread-tracking method in the first place.

Mr Master said:
If it's at all like limits I've dealt with before, it'll be a limit on storage. Which can be dealt with by pruning and offloading. But that can still be a pain in the ass, so threads end up being more economical.
The places I have been, every folder has the same size limit.

If each folder had it's own limit that would be incredible for me and would be a totally painless transition.

Trygon said:
  • 1. If it's limits on storage as MM's said, then that's not too bad. If not, then...
    2. Formal protest. I enjoy PM's, both chatting and Rp'ing. Capping on the amount we can send/receive limits private chatting, too. Some just don't want BM to cross over outside of BM. If not that, then...
    3. Informal protest. <_<;[/list:u]

Mr Master said:

I don't think it'll change the hardcore PM RPers; they'll find ways to deal with the limits. But anybody who's on the fence, it ought to help push them toward threads, all else being equal.

And Try, yeah, the existing methods work well enough, but I'd still like one-click bookmark access; dunno why we have to go through control panel before getting bookmarks anyway, if they're supposed to be a good and recommended thread-tracking method in the first place.
^This.

I'll look into the bookmarks, but I wouldn't expect anything promptly. Still a bit outside my immediate grasp.

The cap would be an overall limit on storage. As I've seen a lot of people shooting at 700 on the low end, that would probably be where I'd cap your PM box, for all folders combined. I'd imagine the system will automatically delete all PMs of yours older then 700. While this is by no means a set, promised course of action, some of the highest users on that list have some work ahead of them - They may want to start saving what they'd like to keep now.

Back
Top Bottom