Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can Droids Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercenary

Supernova
Caleb, or 'Cale', as he preferred, was in his his basement, working on new robot designs and programming, as usual. Things had been quiet since his dies had passed away and Cale had lost the programming company, and this is what he did to pass the time. He didn't have any friends besides his black cat, Spook. In fact,no one really knew he existed anymore.

So that's why he was so surprised when he heard a a noise behind him, and something flashed on his computer screen. He looked up from the part he was welding together and turned around, lifting his safety goggles. There, on his computer, was a new message from who knows. But it caught his attention and curiosity, and he had to find out. Cale rolled over to the computer on his wheeled chair and spun to face the screen. He clicked on message and began to read.

Oh thank goodness! I was afraid you might not be home! Cale, I know this is sudden, but I have to skip introductions right now, because you're in danger, and I don't know exactly how much time we have. Just know that I'm a friend and I'm here to help. I need you to download this audio file and get it ready to play as quickly as you can. Your life genuinely depends on it.

Below the strange message appeared a blue link in the form of a jumble of numbers and symbols, almost akin to an IP address of sorts. It was set to automatically download a five second audio clip to Cale's computer when he clicked on it, though where it was being downloaded from was quite uncertain.

Cale didn't know at all who or where this could be from, but he was too interested. And someone trying to hack him by looking him up wouldn't know to call him Cale. But this was a lot and very sudden, and all Cale could manage to reply with was "OK". He moved his mouse and watched as the cursor went down to the blue text, waiting a bit before clicking on it. He plugged his headphones in as the whatever it was quickly downloaded, and Cale waited, listening.

After Cale clicked the link, the file only took a couple of seconds to download, although for a file of such minuscule size, it did take a bit longer than would be expected. Once it was done, the default media player popped up on his screen with a generic 'note' background and a play button waiting to be pressed. The file's name in the heading of the window was 'kn_00786_2031.uaf.' A few moments passed, and a new message appeared.

Ah, good! You downloaded it! Although I noticed you have your headphones in... which you shouldn't. Now that it's downloaded, it should be safe to explain the situation a bit better. Something is coming after you right now, and it intends to kill you. The only way you can stop it from doing so is to play this file out loud when it's in the room with you. I know this all sounds very strange, but any further explanation right now would just complicate matters, so it will have to wait until I know that you're safe.

Cale was really confused now after he read the message. Confused and afraid. Though surprisingly not as afraid as he probably should be. Apparently he needed to play it loud. Luckily, Cale used his computer to listen to music along with other things, so he had set up a surround sound group of speakers. But it was time for some questions, and hopefully some answers. "Who are you? What's going on here?" Cale typed in reply. He plugged in his phone and downloaded the audiofile, just in case, eagerly awaiting the reply.

Perhaps a bit faster than most people should be able to type, the next reply came.

I'm sorry, Cale... telling you the truth right this second might be a bit too much to handle, and it's absolutely critical that you're prepared for what's coming. I don't want to complicate things until you're safe. I can at least tell you that my name is Ophelia, and I was sent here specifically to help you. And right now my advice is to wait, and be ready.

As if on cue, as soon as Cale finished reading that message, he heard the sound of glass shattering upstairs, followed by a heavy 'thud,' as whatever had crashed through the window hit the floor of his house. After a short pause, loud movement could be heard upstairs, as whatever it was began rather violently searching the house for its obvious target: Cale.

Cale was about to reply when he heard loud noises upstairs. Instead of responding with more questions, he simply put: "its here". He didn't care about grammar or punctuation there, he just wanted to get the message across. Cale went to the audiophile and waited, the cursor hovering over the 'play' button. He waited until he heard the thing coming down the stairs before pressing on the mouse, clicking on 'play'. He made sure the volume was at 100% and covered his ears, just in case. This would be LOUD.

It is?! Oh god... okay, just... please be ready to play the file as soon as you're certain it's within earshot.

The message said no more, as Ophelia likely didn't want to occupy Cale with too much text now that seconds truly counted. In fact, it was only a few seconds after the latest message that something suddenly crashed against the basement door, accompanied by the sound of splintering wood. After only two more crashes, whatever it was was through, as shards of wood bounced down the staircase while it stepped through. Once it was descending the staircase, Cale could see that it was a three and a half foot tall humanoid robot with a wicked looking blade roughly half that length attached to its arm. It had a half-moon shaped head with a single lens affixed to its 'face,' which immediately focused on Cale once he came into sight. It began rapidly descending the stairs, raising its blade slightly and ready to drive it straight through its target.

As soon as Cale hit the play button, an unnatural noise suddenly pealed forth from the speakers, consisting of random beeps and tones of various volumes and frequencies layered over a background of static. The moment this started playing, the robot seized up, collapsing and tumbling the rest of the way down the stairs until its blade sank into the ground, propping up its rigid form as the sound continued to play. As soon as it finished playing, all of the robot's limbs went limp, and the room was left eerily silent as its lifeless body remained propped up on the blade in the ground. After a few seconds, a new message appeared.

Oh god, you played it. Are you alright, Cale?

Cale just watched with wide eyes as the events unfolded, staring at the robot awhile longer before looking back at the screen. He saw her message and began to type, a wide-eyed expression still on his face. He began typing, putting the caps lock on. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! SERIOUSLY, WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?" Cale typed, almost demandingly, though it was just text. He hoped that that robot, or whatever it was, would stay 'dead'.

Oh thank goodness! I was so afraid you might... o-oh, right, sorry... I'd be more than happy to finally explain the situation to you, but first I need you to leave your house and find somewhere safe to stay. They know where you live, and I can only assume they would know where your friends and family live, so you shouldn't stay with any of them either. Someplace like a hotel or something, far away from here. I'll be comfortable explaining what I can once I know that you're on your way to somewhere safe.

Cale sighed at reading the post. He didn't have any friends, or family, left. That made a hotel the easiest option in the first place. Looking back at the screen, Cale began typing again. "Alright. I'll take a cab. Just message me on my phone and explain on the way over, okay Ophelia?" He replied. Cale then searched for a taxi service on the internet before giving them a call. A taxi was on it's way and Cale went to pack some clothes, electronics, including his laptop computer, and even robotic parts and tools. After everything was packed, Cale checked his phone for a reply as he waited for the taxi to arrive.

Of course. Alright, where to begin... there's... quite a lot that will probably need to be explained, so I'll just start with the most important piece of information that you'll need to know before I explain any further. You likely noticed that that robot was quite advanced, right? More advanced than any present technology should have made possible? Well... that would be because that robot... wasn't from the present. It came from the future. And I know this because... I did as well.

Cale just stared down at the post for awhile before finally replying. "Alright. But if that thing hadn't just done that, and you knowing all this stuff, I wouldn't believe you. But I don't know what to believe anymore and since you saved my life I'll trust you, Ophelia." Cale said via his reply. The taxi pulled up, and Cale got in. The driver was surprised to see someone who was only twenty, and even more surprised when the destination was in another state. But he didn't argue and began driving away.

I... thank you, Cale. I was afraid you might not, but now I realize it was silly of me to worry about that... a-anyways, I need to finish explaining the situation to you. As I mentioned before, I'm a friend, and I mean that literally. I'm... a close friend of yours in the future. I was sent back here because you're currently being targeted by an extremist organization in the future because of something that you will invent 9 years from now that changes the world. They apparently dislike the way the world changed, so now they're trying to kill you before you can even create it. Once they're taken care of in the future, you should be safe here in the past, so all we have to do is keep you safe until that happens. However... we're not sure how long it will take. It could be anywhere from a few days to... months, potentially.

"Well, as long as I'm safe. Thanks for saving me by the way. So, what did I invent in the future to get people angry at me. And before I ask more questions about the future, should I not ask those things? Is there a rule or some space-time continuum thing?" Cale asked her through his post as the taxi turned left.

To be honest... I'm not entirely sure. No one is, really. Time travel is barely understood, and there are heavy restrictions in place to prevent things like this from happening... but we had little choice once that first robot was sent back. But so far nothing bad seems to have happened to reality, so I think it will be okay to ask whatever you'd like. We really can't avoid being risky with the space-time continuum right now. As for what you invented... well, it was the first true AI. A thinking, learning, self-aware artificial being. Due in part to your creating it, a sort of revolution occurred, and now AI's are actually quite common in the future. You're being targeted by a group opposed to AI's on religious grounds, called the Return to Humanity. They think AI's are an abomination, so now they want to eliminate them, through you.

"Wow, that's some heavy stuff, Ophelia. But I guess when you make it big, you'll always have opposers. Anyway, who are you, exactly?" Cale asked again, wishing he could just instantly be at the hotel as they were now stuck in some traffic. He sighed as the taxi was finally able to turn left.

"Oh, wow. Well, thanks for being my biggest accomplishment, the thing that could get me killed, and the thing that can save me. That's not sarcasm btw." Cale typed. It would still be awhile until he reached the hotel, and he considered playing a game, but he didn't want to miss a reply from Ophelia.

Hehe, well... you're welcome for at least one of those things. I had to be sent back without my body to ensure that I arrived in time to warn you, so I won't be able to meet with you until tomorrow, when it was agreed that my body would be sent back for me. I'll need you to go and activate it for me then, but for now I'm afraid you'll have to make do by yourself for the first night. Although... that reminds me, where exactly are you heading right now? I should have probably mentioned this before I told you to get as far away as possible, but we agreed on a spot relatively near your house to send my body back.

Cale about chucked his phone out the window as he saw the second part of her message. I'm going to a hotel at the border of the state, and I'm about half way there! I wish you would have told me sooner. It'll already be night by the time I get there. Now you're saying I'm going to have to come back?!" Cale replied, irritation clear, even through the text.

Ah! I-I'm sorry! I just didn't expect you to... n-no, this is my fault, I'm sorry. I just... do you know the abandoned office building near where you live? That's the spot where my body is going to be sent. Whenever you get up tomorrow, you'll have to go there to open my body to external upload so that I can return to it. I apologize for the inconvenience...

Cale rolled his eyes at the post as he read it, but thought it over and sighed. "I have to admit, I did a really good job. I have to keep reminding myself you aren't really a human. Anyways, don't worry about it, it's fine. You saving my life is worth a long trip back." He typed to her. He suddenly felt kind of heavy, yawning. And before he knew it, Caleb was asleep. He was woken up awhile later by the driver as they were pulling up by the hotel. Cale sleepily thanked the man and paid him with some of the money he had brought. He walked out of the car and grabbed his luggage and walked into the hotel. Cale quickly checked out a room on the second floor and went up to it, unpacking. Then he pulled out his phone and checked for new messages.

There was a short pause after Caleb sent his message before the first reply came.

Not really a... yes, I... suppose so.

After that message, there had been a few minutes of delay before another reply came, while Cale had been sleeping.

Um... are you alright, Cale? Considering the situation, I can't help but get nervous if you just go dark all of a sudden...

Thal read the reply. He got what she was trying to say, but wondered what 'go dark' meant. Was that just some military like term for not responding? He'd just ask her. "What does 'go dark' mean? But I fell asleep if that is what you're asking. Anyway. I got enough sleep, so I could head back now and bs on time for your body to arrive." Cale offered in his reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom