Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What is broken can be fixed. (Luana Blodwyn x Irlandais)

When his hand reached out she flinched away again, but only her head moved. His finger touched her chin and gave a light upwards pressure. It never need to be a rough gesture, she understood well enough what he wanted and she obliged. She allowed him to tilt her face upwards to meet eyes. Though she never held his gaze for long. Only a couple seconds and then she would look else where. It wasn't long, however, that he gaze would flit back to his. He spoke gentle words to her and for a moment she thought to argue. Perhaps not for him, he could say anything he wanted. He did not know the lives they led in the Master's manor. He smiled at her. It was a kind, sweet smile. Any other girl in the kingdom would have copied such a smile. This girl did not. Not even the small quirk at the corner of her lips.

He continued on, remarking on the past year of her life. Though any thoughts she had on the matter screeched to a halt when his offer appeared. Freedom. Could it really be? How could he offer such a thing? Master did say that he wanted to sell her since she was no longer entertaining enough. But where would she go? What would she do? Her home was gone. Those answers were quickly found when he offered this position of a valet, whatever that was.

Enid's mouth moved as if she were going to speak but clamped shut again. After a few moments she tried again, this time managing a small squeak. Her eyebrows pulled together just a little. Why was it so hard to say it? She wanted to go, to leave...but she was terrified to do so. Finally she tried again. "What...what about...m-Master Karstark?" A violent shudder wracked her body by the name alone. But she already knew the answer really, he wanted to be rid of her. "I...I can...stay...with you?" She looked around for a moment and gave a small nod. "Yes..." she finished with a whisper.

It was hard not to be disappointed by the utter lack of any recognisable positive emotion when he told Enid it was okay to think for herself. It was almost as if the concept of freedom on such a basic level had been completely warped inside her mind to the extent that she could no longer trust it. As such Rurik was already by now half expecting that she would reject the offer he had made out of hand, justifying it to herself as a way of making sure that she did not displease her precious ‘Master Karstark’. Though the way the name seemed to be wrenched out of her with a shudder suggested that she was no more inclined to stay here than she was to have her fingernails pulled out one by one. So why did she not show any sign of being content with the chance to leave this vile place?

Perhaps Rurik should just take his small victory and leave, the way Enid had started to make choices on her own do more than just stare at the floor may just be enough to save her life for a few weeks. In resignation Rurik waited for the inevitable proclamation that it ‘was not her place’ to decide or that her master would be displeased if she left. So it came as something as a shock when the last word to slip her mouth in a half whisper was ‘yes’. At first Rurik assumed he had misheard or the girl was just say used to saying the word that she’d forgotten how to say no. It took a second to really sink in, but when it did a grin spread onto his face at his own arrogance. Perhaps it was that Rurik wasn’t quite as adept at reading people as he thought, or maybe there was just a certain something about Enid that stopped him from being able to manage with her.

Taking a more formal tone as if the finalize the arrangement Rurik addressed her “It will be a pleasure to allow you to live with and work for me Enid, I shall talk to Karstark myself in the morning and make all the arrangements”. Uncertain as to whether the girl would actually have any Rurik continued “I suggest that you put together whatever belongings you own and then come meet me in my chambers. You may sleep there tonight if you wish, so that none of the other guests… bother… you this evening”. Realizing that the offer might sound as if he was offering the share the bed with her he concluded “I shall be working this evening I fear, so you will have the room to yourself, in the morning I shall wake you and we can be on our way”.

It was normal for Rurik to seal a deal by sharing a cup of wine and clasp hands with whoever was dealing with him. But given the lack of drink and the state his head was still currently in he decided to forgo finding a cup, and just held out his hand for Enid to shake.

Now Enid watched Rurik, her eyes and posture wary. Was this still part of the test? Maybe now her Master would lumber from the bushes to dole out punishment for betraying him. At first it seemed that the man didn't understand she had consented to go work for him. Then a large grin spread over his features. Part of her thought the purely delighted grin made him look even more handsome, for handsome he was. There was another part shouting danger, why should a man be so happy at a deal like this. All men wanted something, what was it he wanted from her? Well there was one thing it could be, plenty of men had wanted that and gotten it. Still he seemed happy so she had done her job, though in a very strange manner.

His tone suddenly changed and he spoke a strange speech. Well at least he would talk to her Master. Then he came to tell her to gather her things. This caused a small frown of confusion, though she would allow him to finish speaking. She had nothing that she owned. Technically she didn't even own herself so how could she own anything? Things that are owned cannot have ownership over other things. He moved on to offering to share his bed. In this she didn't balk, she had since lost count of the number of men, and sometimes women, she had shared a bed with. He seemed to shared the same thought and went on to say he would not be there that night. An entire bed, a real bed, to herself for a night? Maybe this wasn't a test but maybe she was dreaming. None of this seemed possible.

His hand went out to her suddenly and she looked at it as if it might bite her. She had seen men do this before, agreeing on something by shaking hands. But she was no man and certainly not in a position to make deals. Her eyes darted between his hand and his face in confusion. Then carefully she reached out and slipped her thin, small hand into his and gave a light shake. "I...have...no things...I am a thing. The owned cannot have ownership," she said as her eyes fell back to the ground. "If you have need to do other errands I can find my way back."

The fact that Enid have any possessions of her own as such didn’t come as any great surprise, but he knew for himself that captives and slaves often stole small items and mementos or symbols of defiance to their masters. It was difficult to imagine life without anything that you could truly call your own, something that Rurik would have to fix before much longer. One thing did confuse him about that though; there had been the small chest that he’d noticed in his room before they gone for their walk. None of the other rooms with open doors he had walked past possessed them, so either Enid was trying to lie and leave her past behind her yet again or it was some belonging of Karstark’s that it had been assumed Rurik would appreciate the lending of. The latter seemed more likely to be certain, since he still doubted that Enid lacked the backbone to actually lie outright to him. Before addressing that particular concern though a more pressing matter came to mind to be dealt with.

“Things do not think, they do not breathe, and they certainly do not make choices to leave a place.” Rurik announced in a tone that was a little flatter than he had intended. “Since you have proven yourself capable of all three this evening I have decided it a safe assumption to decide that you are in fact a person, not an object”. It might have come across a little harsh, but there was a difference between trying to be gentle with Enid and trying to dispel her odd notions of what captivity had made of her existence. Simply put he would not tolerate Enid talking about herself in such a way, she had proved to him that she wasn’t an object and he knew for a fact that she couldn’t actually think of herself that way. It was probably some mantra that her master had drilled into her to try and break her spirit in a way to promote obedience. It had clearly worked, but that was no comfort to Rurik since it was exactly what he was trying to undo. As their hands parted Rurik softened his tone again and took a half step back towards the Manor entrance. “If it is all the same to you I would like to accompany you anyway Enid, no doubt we will be spending a deal of time together as we travel back to the capital and I would like to get to know you better”.

There was much of the truth in what Rurik said, but right now he knew that getting her to talk about herself would be like trying to squeeze blood from a stone unless he poked and prodded the conversation every five seconds. His actual reason was more that he wanted to see her safely back to his room unmolested, and there was the little black box too... Curiosity had gotten the better of him.

Enid's legs gave a twitch as if she were about to turn and go but Rurik suddenly began speaking. His tone was completely flat and abrasive. He seemed upset with her, and over something that seemed very strange to her. Her head tilted to the side in her mild confusion. Of course he couldn't be expected to understand. How could he? First some military scribe, so raised well to be able to read. Now Master of Coin to the king himself. He had never been on the losing side of water, never lost all identity. It was easily taken away, she had come to find. Sometimes it seemed the sutdier someone was the easier they broke. It was indeed better to be the willow, light and easily changing in the harsh winds rather than the oak, sometimes toppled in great storms.

When he said he wished to accompany her back to the room she gave a small nod. "As m'lord wishes," she said simply enough. No remark to getting to know her better. What was there to know? He couldn't be that interested, no one ever was. Perhaps it was a mistake to put some trust in this man. However, this one was different than the one she had known a year ago. The other was impassive and cruel in his own lazy way, it could hardly be called cruelty. So what he knocked her into mud? That was not cruelty, just an immature display of dominance. No, she had discovered true cruelty once bought and paid for. So she walked silently by his side, gaze studying the floor as if trying to memorize the very pattern of the pale stone.

The walk was not so long back and soon they were in the room. The fire had died down just a little, the logs needed prodding to get a blaze again. So that was directly where Enid headed. She used the poker to push and prod the logs, coaxing a cheery glow to spread about the room once more. Rurik's box of intrigue was right where she had left it, on the table near the platters of fruit and cheese. "Will m'lord need anything before attending to his business?"

It was becoming increasingly tempting to roll his eyes and sigh in exasperation for Rurik, as still Enid seemed only capable of following any suggestion he made as if its acceptance was his gods given right. Instead he settled for a small correction. "m'lord isn't a lord Enid, I'm Simply Rurik 'Septimus' Briarwood. Seventh son and cast off of my esteemed father Hadrian Briarwood - who is in fact, a Lord. However since you have offered I shall indeed accompany you back to my chambers." It had only occured to him as she spoke his own name in full that all he knew of the girl in truth was her first name and the farming village she come from. It was hardly a topic of conversation that she would appreciate 'So Enid, how much can you tell me of the home we razed and your slaughtered family? I should dearly like to hear of them both, preferably before the swathe of blood and fire'. No, that would hardly do at all.

So instead of the planned conversation the walk was conducted in silence, a silence that Rurik hoped didn't feel as strained for Enid as it did for him. Eventually though it proved too much and he started to talk just for the sake of pushing back the opressive quiet of the night. "It's a three day coach ride back to the capital so I shall have to spend this evening making preparations for out departure, I had not been expecting to leave so shortly after arriving and I must admit that I am a little less prepared than I would have liked to be". For a short second he debated asking if there was any type of provision that Enid would like him to procure before the Journey, but with the attitute she seemed to be maintianing at the moment he would be lucky if she even thought it was worth feeding herself for the trip. Instead Rurik decided that since Karstark had been such a royal nuisance that he would return the favour, and once again call upon the Lord's capacity for ensuring the wellbeing of his guests. The two of them would be well provided for on the journey back with the expenses coming from the pockets of the Lord of Lard, a man of his more than generous proportions would likely have some spare provisions lying around.

Once they did arrive back at his chambers Enid set herself to tending the fire, though it wasn't truly needed due to the extra logs that he had set to the hearth himself before they set out. By now the sap laced wine had more or less left rurik's body, and he could feel his head starting to clear by the very second. Unfortunately that only served to bring forth the feeling of nausia that he had been able to ignore while still under the effects of the drug, only made worse by the sight of uneaten food on his bedside table. With a gesture towards it Rurik suggested "By all means help yourself to food if you are hungry, I'm afraid that my own appetite is not at its best this evening." Then as Enid asked her question as if the usher him from the room and be left in peace he stopped, now was as good a time as any. "Actually there is one thing, I should like to know what it is that you keep in that box that you brough up with you".

The silence was neither strained nor comfortable, it simply was, for Enid any ways. It was her existence, just being. She had learned that emotion was a waste of energy. If she did not care, did not weep, did not smile, then she could simply carry on. Some would call it a shell of a life to be living. To her it was merely survival, a way to cope. It seemed, however, that Rurik was not overfond of the drawing silence. He spoke of the ride they would be conducting together. Three days traveling in a coach. It sounded like an interesting enough trip. Though it seemed like those three days would be rather long, especially for Rurik. Silence didn't seem to be something he cared for all too much and she wasn't much of a conversationalist. Still there was a small, warm, glimmer in her that kept trying to crack through. Freedom. It was a hard word to understand yet she could not quite squash the tiny gleam in her.

The fire was snapping and popping, licking up the logs happily. He gestured to the food that had been laid out and the curious frown pulled again, the only other face she was apparently able to make aside from the bland mask. Was he unwell? Before she could question after her health he posed a question to her. Then a miracle happened, if it could be called that. She discovered a new face, though not a pleasant one. It was the same look at dog might give its master if the master was yelling at the dog. Something akin to being frighted yet there was also a hint of wounded betrayal. She managed to lift her head with this look to stare straight at him. Her green eyes flicked to the box then back at him. Men usually did not have to asked what was in the box. Those who did had a good idea but were often asked to be shown the contents and have everything explained in detail.

So she did as she was taught and went to the box. Opening the lid with unsteady hands she brought it over. At first glance it was a mess of rope, wood, metal links, and leather bits. First she removed the lengths of rope. There were all of the same make, a soft wool rope of varying length. One could easily have been twenty feet in length with the rest were varied shorter. Next came a stick of very smooth and enameled wood shape curiously phallic. Following were linked cuffs where the chains could be shortened or lengthened. There were five sizes that looked like they could fit wrist, ankle and neck. After that came a ring of wood that had bite marks around it. Leather straps connected to the wood and looked as though they could be secured, long enough to fit around a person's head. Finally came bits of cloth, heavy and light both. Enid shivered as she laid the last length of silken cloth on the table. "Master calls it the...chest of toys..." she said with a quaking voice. No man asked to see the contents without intent of making use of one or more of them. "All pieces are...are designed to...fit me..." she said with another shudder. Indeed, her name was on a small, engraved, wooden placard that appeared like it could be removed, so as to put another in its place with another name. "Though...some men...wish these items used...on them. That is what the rope is for."

It was perhaps a little of a vice of his that Rurik had that he was fairly naïve when it came to paraphernalia regarding more carnal activities. It would be a mistake to assume him clueless as to what people got up to behind closed doors, but he’d always been more of an advocate of not needing anything more than their own two bodies and a bed, table or wall with which to support them while he was with a woman. So it was no real surprise to him that he wasn’t quite sure what the whole set of apparel was used for. There were some obvious pieces, for instance the wrist and leg shackles were both things that he had seen before even if used for a much different reason. Other parts though, the ring of wood with the bite marks, the assorted bits of light and heavier cloth… he wouldn’t have had a single clue what somebody could, let alone would want, to do with them. Were they part of a set all used at the same time, or was each item used independent of the others?

There was no mistaking the look on Enid’s face though, whatever it was that this ‘thing’ or collection was used for was either something she disliked having done to her, or disliked doing, perhaps both given her last comment. Rurik found his eyes drawn the the… he didn’t know the word, the wooden cock by his best guess. The thought of a man wanting it…no it didn’t bear thinking about. For the first time it really sunk in for him just how badly Enid’s life had become, somehow when his mind had heard that she was being used as a whore his own experiences with sex, pleasurable ones, came to mind and dampened the effect of what he was hearing. With that gone and the evidence of the depths to which the woman had been abused sitting before him, Rurik felt the roiling nausea in his stomach sour and turn half to shame and half anger. He had been the one to sign that paper that accepted the abolition of her freedom, even if he was under orders to do so that was something unforgivable. Rurik knew then that he could never truly admit to her just how much he had taken a hand in that process, he hoped that he would die an old man still knowing that Enid only thought him the man who counted the lines. With a thick lump in his throat Rurik spoke up, sounding hoarse. “Enid, I truly am sorry for what has been done to you here, I promise you that it will never happen again so long as I am alive to stop it”.

As if to prove his point he pulled the small wooden plaque with her name on it from the slot, tossing it into the fire as if he could burn away any link between Enid and the box. But even that was not enough to actually stop his curiosity, Rurik was a man of learning and knowing that there was something in front of him that he didn’t understand while the answers were lay within the same room... it was too much. The faint sound of running water could be heard from the river that flowed behind the manor, coming in through the shuttered window of the room. One by one Rurik picked up the item and placed them back inside the chest, as well as several of the smaller metal objects around the room that would weight it down. Taking the box he crossed the room and opened the shutter, causing a cold breeze to spill into the room and make the fire gutter. There was still just enough light to make out the outline of his target, so with a grunt Rurik heaved the box along with its contents headlong out of the window. A loud splash sounded up from below, even quieted by the distance of the room above the water. It would no doubt sink and be lost for good. “Neither of us shall ever see that wretched box or its contents again, and if Karstark doesn’t like that he can get his fat arse out of his chair and go diving for it”.

Enid saw the confused curiosity on Rurik's face. In some ways it surprised her to now know he hadn't a clue what the items were, for the most part. Some, she could see, were easy enough to understand. Others she didn't understand until they were used on her. Something in her stirred when she read his face and the hoarseness in his voice when he spoke to her. These things disgusted him. What she felt for that she couldn't really identify. Appreciation perhaps? Admiration? However, he had made it plain that he was different from the men whom Karstark kept ties with even before the revulsion at the items. His small promise caused that feeling again. Perhaps it was true, maybe she would be free of the place for good. She could only hope he was as good of a man as he seemed to be, but sometimes men were deceitful. He furthered this statement with tossing the plaque into the flames. It might erase her from the box but it would just go to another girl. That was until he placed the items back in the box and moved to the window.

The young woman watched as he threw wide the shutters and heaved the box over. Involuntarily her jaw fell as the box disappeared from sight, a splash faintly echoing below. When he turned her mouth was still wide in her shock. His words jarred her from the expression but the mask of neutrality did not slip down yet. A curious thing happened with her face. The corners twitched as if a smile were trying to break through, her face was pale as if terrified of Master's anger at the box being pitched so easily, and finally tears welled giving her eyes a glassy shine to them. She could not properly explain the emotion she felt. Something akin to joy and yet there was fear. Though mingled with all that was hope and it was the hope that caused the glossy effect to her eyes. She let no tears fall, quickly reining in her emotions lest they spill all over the room. Perhaps he truly was a different sort of man. Not kind, not that he wasn't unkind, but more like honorable, noble. She had never met such a person and was certain few existed.

Slowly the neutral mask took back over and she dropped her gaze, however it did not fall to the floor. Though she struggled with eye contact she fixated her gaze on his chest. What could she say? The gesture was, perhaps, small on his part but it spoke volumes to her. What did one say to someone who was effectively casting off shackles both literally and figuratively? Finally she managed to open her mouth, an hand coming up to almost shyly rub her arm. "I fear...I am in greater debt to you than I could ever manage to repay...I swear I will serve you well and loyally..." He words were soft but spoken a sort of force she didn't think herself capable of anymore.

Rurik could feel the slight heat in his face as he turned back to face Enid, both from the anger at what he knew Karstark had been doing now as well as the little behavioural outburst lending just a touch of embarrassment to fuel the fire. As he turned and saw the slightly slack jawed expression on her face Rurik thought that he had for a certainty worried her with the display, but then he noticed how the corners of her mouth were just starting to twitch as if wanting to smile, but not remembering how. He honestly didn’t know if it was amusement or if she was happy over what he had done or said, but right now it didn’t really matter. Both were far better than the empty mask that Enid usually wore, and Rurik couldn’t have stopped the smile that spread onto his own face even if he had wanted to. He told himself then that he would make her smile in truth before the week was out, and Rurik was not a man to break his word even when it was something he silently promised himself.

As she spoke now there was a difference to her tone that Rurik couldn’t quite place, it wasn’t the think voice of something that was expecting and accepting of the worst possible punishment at every moment, but neither was it the clear confidence he had heard from her on that fire fateful meeting. Her words though still sounded a little wrong to him, as if she really didn’t quite understand the concept of what he had been telling her. “Enid, you don’t owe me anything, certainly no great debt as you seem to imagine. You are not a slave anymore and nobody owns you. When you come to work for me you’ll earn a wage as well as your keep, able to leave of your own free will at any time”. The words were spoken softly with a kind tone, but whether the exact depth of their truth was going to sink in through speech alone Rurik had his doubts, he would simply have to make good on his offers and prove to Enid that she was no longer ‘property’ to anyone.

“The bed is yours alone for the night” Rurik reiterated with a gesture, it was probably far more comfortable than anything she was used to. “and you may help yourself to any of the food here. I’m afraid my own business shall keep me occupied until morning as likely as not, but by mid-morning I will come and fetch you myself”. After refastening the shutters closed to keep the warmth in the room, he made his way with a quick business like pace to the door, it was going to be a busy night for Rurik if he was indeed going to mitigate the deal he had made with Karstark while drugged. As his hand settled on the handle Rurik turned back and looked at Enid again, before he bade her farewell for the night. “Unless there is anything else you would like to talk about before I leave?”

((sorry that was so slow, I've had a lot of family over for the last week))

At the time she still didn't fully grasp this idea of being free. Earning wages...that was something shocking. What would she do with any money? Buy things? She needed nothing, things didn't need anything. Sometimes food but that too could be, and sometimes was, skipped. Also leaving of her own volition? No, she did nothing without consent first. Those were the rules after all. Of course, by agreeing to go with Rurik was that not, in a way, a choice? In many ways yes. In other ways...she knew well that Karstark wanted to be rid of her. To him she was dull. The Enid of a year ago was interesting, a fun challenge for him. Not much of a challenge really, not after the first eight moons. She still stood there, keeping her green gaze from the floor but unable to meet Rurik's eye for more than an instant. He spoke so kindly, how could she doubt him?

When he spoke of the bed, food, and his business she gave a simple nod. After closing the shutters he strode across the room like a man on a hunt. His business must be pressing indeed but that did not stop him a pause at the door to ask if there was anything else to talk of. Her confusion was evident but she simply shook her head. Things did not need to talk, they needed to obey. "Nothing at all m'lor...Rurik..." his name stuck in her throat like honey. Sweet and yet difficult. Calling someone by their name, save other slaves, was unheard of.

With him gone Enid looked around the room. Alone for an entire evening, in such a well furnished room. What should she do first? Well first she looked over the food and but nibbled a little on the cheese. If one behaved one did not want of food, Enid was more than well behaved. Not to mention thin enough to not be deprived. If some of the girls began gaining some she was put on a strict bread and water fast until the weight slipped away again. Those caught stealing...well...a week or two of a forced fast was not unheard of. After the room she paced around a little, feeling strangely idle. Any other man and, well, certainly they might be finished by now unless he was one of the more...creative of Master's friends. No, not master, simply Lord Karstark. Now that was strange indeed.

After enough pacing she crawled into the feather bed and snuggled into the covers. It took only moments for her to fall asleep, unplagued by dreams.

Enid was up with the rising of the sun. She sat up leisurely and ruffled her unruly red hair, rumpled from the fine ringlets in her sleep. Waking in such a comfortable bed with no man at her side was perhaps the strangest feeling she had had in a good, long while. Looking around she half expected a naked man parading around demanding one more round before he had to give her up. Still no, she was alone in the room. The previous nights events filtered back into her mind. Rurik. The tall lord, Master of Coin, the quill keeper from the war and her future Master. No, not master, employer. This brought a small, confused frown to her face. Perhaps she had indeed imagined it all. Though that did not explain what she was doing in the lavish room and comfortable bed with no Lord to entertain. Slowly she slid from the bed and went to the plate of food. She ate some as she paced around the room. What if it was all a face? What if Karstark stormed into the room, raging about betrayal? It sent a cold stone in her stomach and she put down the bread and cheese in her hands.

(Hey no worries. I apologize for my delay too. With other RPs going on I forgot to scroll down further to check if you had posted)

Rurik smiled softly as Enid caught herself and stopped calling him m’lord, perhaps her starting to see that other people were not so far above her as she seemed to think was a step towards the discontinuation of her self-abasement. With that look still on his face Rurik met her eyes one last time, or rather he tried to, unsure whether the woman in his room would once again be having a staring contest with the floor. “In that case I shall wish you a good night Enid” he told her with a smile “I shall see you in the morning”. The door to the hallway opened and closed once more, taking Rurik from her presence and out into the hallway. For a short moment he just waited on the other side, breathing in slowly and then letting it out though his nose as a relived sigh.

He thought it was relief in that sigh that Enid was setting out on the right path towards becoming her old self again, but there would be a lie if he didn’t admit a little that it was for escaping for her a short while. He knew it was none of her own doing and didn’t blame her for it, but there was just something about her subservient attitude that made his nerves stand on edge constantly as if dealing with someone who was being wilfully ignoring what was explained to them. A second softer sigh followed at that, she was to live with him now, and he would be getting that attitude day in and day out with her acting as a valet to him. “All the more reason to try and bring the old Enid back” he muttered softly to himself as he set off down the hall, in search of Karstark’s library. He found it before long and settled himself down in a dark corner, many of the torches were not lit with all the servants attending to the night’s frivolities, but that suited Rurik just fine as he sat alone in the room with a candle for his light.

With his head still slightly foggy with the effects of the drug, he pulled out the draft for the trade agreement he had made with Karstark earlier that evening and set to reading it, trying to find some way in which it could be declared void. As he read over it time and time again only one thing stood out, that Karstart was going to empty the royal coffers slowly into his own pockets with this agreement. As Rurik slipped into a sleep sitting upright in his chair he had found no solution.

The chirping of a rather insistent bird woke him with a start, a powerful hangover accompanying the irritating creature’s noise. With a start the realization hit that he had not solved his problem, and frantically his eyes still clearing from sleep flitted over the page. When he found it the solution almost made him laugh, it truly was something he’d have berated himself for in any other circumstance. In his haze the previous night he had failed to mark the document with his seal of office, as had Karstark, the paper was worth nothing more than a butcher’s boy’s shopping list. With a smile on his face Rurik made his way rather more cheerily towards the room that he and Enid had almost shared, even with his head pounding. It was perhaps half an hour since the sun had risen when Rurik reached where he had left the woman, and not knowing the state of dress that she might be in, knocked loudly on the door.

Enid was not alone long when the loud knock came at the door. Her skin nearly flew from her body in the sharp terror she felt. It was as if ever nightmare had come true. It was Master Karstark, she knew it. He had heard she wanted to leave and he came to punish her. For a moment she considered hiding, but where? Under the bed might work, with his girth he would never be able to reach her. He would find her later though and the punishment would be doubly severe. So she stood up on trembling limbs and made her way to the door. The trek seemed to take an eternity but her hand found the handle. With an inhale, not followed by an exhale, she pulled the door open. Her face lifted up, a look of fear and contrition etched deep into the soft planes of her face. But it was not the blue eyes ringed in fat folds she found another pair of eyes. Kinder eyes, but keen and intelligent. Instantly her posture relaxed from the fierce coiling of every muscle. Her face softened somewhat to a look that might belie a smile, minus the actual smile across her lips. "You came back," she said, her voice almost disbelieving. He had done as he had said. She would be free from Karstark that day.

As if the devil could be summoned by simply thinking of him, Karstark's prodigious girth could be seen coming down the hall. Per always he had that jovial smile on his fat, sweaty face. Now that is was morning he was in a set of comfortable and expansive robes. "Rurik! Good morning!" He called out as he approached with his awkward waddling gate. A little squeak could be heard near Rurik as Enid edged a little closer and behind Rurik, as if she could hide from Karstark. The behemoth of a man grunted a little. "So those paper we signed last night. I assume all is in order then? We can start our trade soon enough my good friend! How about we celebrate with a good breakfast, wine and then I can see about a means to get you back to your stink pit...I mean city." He guffawed again.

It was only then he noticed Enid half hiding behind Rurik. "Well bless me, still got my girl huh? Seems a little taken with you. Showed her a good time did you? I hope she pleased you well. Girl, go get us breakfast, you can serve it without the dress. Let my good friend part here with lovely images in his head." He laughed loudly with his meaty hands on his hips, well the fat folds on his hips. When Enid didn't move, though her face had gone the color of old cheese, he frowned a little. "Gone deaf now? You heard me girl, go!" He snapped his fingers at her. Enid glanced up to Rurik. Had they not spoken the previous night? "Rurik...is my master now..." she said as he eyes met the floor again. "He commands me." Her voice was quiet but it was perhaps the boldest thing she had said in nearly five months. Karstark blinked in surprised at first and his face began to purple. "I don't recall you buying her Rurik," he began to rage, as if forgetting he had intentions to sell her in the first place.

It was impossible to overlook the fear in Enid’s face as the door to his chamber was drawn open, and not even the way that she relaxed a little after seeing Rurik made up for that fact. “she doesn’t trust me still” he thought to himself as he politely smiled and nodded his head in greeting. It was to be expected he supposed after that treatment she had received, the only way her him to get that to change he supposed would to be to prove time and time again that trust in him was not misplaced. It was simply something he would have to earn slowly rather than after one night of gestures that had come far too late. “Indeed I did come back Enid, I’m a man of my word, and a good morning to you too” he added his last comment with a slightly teasing tone of voice, as if chastising her for forgetting her manners. The grin on his face however gave away the fact that he was no disappointed in the least.

He heard Karstark coming before seeing him with his back to the door this way, the heavy laboured breathing and the uneven shuffle of overburdened legs a truly unpleasant sound which gave rise to a no more pleasant sight as Rurik turned as saw the source. As diplomatic and courtly as he usually was Rurik couldn’t quite manage his usual charming demeanour as the man approached, in truth with the degree of animosity he was feeling towards the Lord of lard right now it was a testament to his will that the snarl was kept off his lips. With his voice as level as he could manage Rurik greeted the merchant-lord in return. “Good morning Karstark, ah yes, the papers…” he was cut off by the rest of the man’s speech of food and drink, unsurprised that this was the subject that came to mind of such a rotund creature. Before he could interject again though Karstarks attention has shifted.

As Rurik observed the exchange he thought that the old enid would resurface at the attitude she was being shown, but it surprised him just as much as karstark when he heard her words, it was by no means perfect as he was not either her master nor commanding her, but the undertone was not mistakable. She had said no, no to the man who had done this to her. If it wasn’t for what followed then he might have allowed a small self-satisfied smile to cross his lips.

“Insolent girl!” Karkstark bellowed, his multitude of chins jiggling as he raised a hand to strike “I’ll remind you what happens to disobedient whores!” His hand started to come down as if to strike Enids cheek with a vicious back handed slap. He had not counted on the fact that Rurik was still standing partly between them though, and before the hand was anywhere near Enid’s face the pudgy arm was gripped and held as if in a vice by the younger man’s strong fingers. With his voice cold and quiet yet dripping with venom Rurik spoke in the stunned silence, for the first time sure that he was actually being listened to. “Do not dare presume to forget your place with me Karstark, you’re a lord by name alone, a fat old merchant who has styled himself to power with borrowed coin and half met promises”. The grip on the arm tightened with anger, and Rurik took a half step closer to make better use of his more intimidating physique. The colour was starting to drain from the other man’s face, replaced by a look of panic and incredulity mixed into an ugly mask.

“One stroke of a pen and a change to taxes, and your empire of wine, cheese and meat becomes little more than a large farmhold. As for Enid…” he made certain to use her name, both to make it clear that he was talking about her specifically and to reiterate the point he was making. “…people are not bought and sold, last night you told me you would release her into my service if I so desired, I do.” The older man spluttered as if about to argue and Rurik silence him with a glare and a squeeze to his still gripped limb “That was not a question Karstark, the same goes for any of your other slaves, if they desire to leave then you will let them without any fear of punishment”. As he turned back t Enid Rurik let his voice take a softer yet no less resolute edge “Enid, if you still wish to come with me you are more than welcome, my coach is likely ready by now as I had not planned to stay long. If you gather anything you wish to bring with you I shall meet you there in an hour or so, the stable master should be able to tell you where to find it”.

His attention flicked back to the now trembling man whose arm was beginning to lose colour in the fingers. “Karstark and myself have a good many things to discuss in private, though I think he will be accommodating enough that we shouldn’t be kept long”. His voice had dropped all its more pleasant tone again, and as Rurik let go of his arm karstark took a step back and nodded silently, still trembling a little. “Good” Rurik announced, flatly. Before following the self-styled lord to where they might talk away from other ears.

Enid was still as stone when Karstark began to yell. Her stomach was tied in knots and that old cheese color still lay on her face. She knew a hand was coming and she cliched a little to receive it but the hand never came down. Her eyes lifted then her whole head upturned when she saw Rurik's hand enclosed around Karstark's pudgy wrist. The shock written across her face would be evident to a blind man. Her jaw went slack as Rurik addressed Karstark. Never in her year of being there had she heard someone defy Karstark. Well perhaps not in that manner. She herself was defiant for a time, until she learned obedience. Not only defiance but now Rurik's voice dripped with a threat. Could it be possible? Was not Karstark the wealthiest man in the kingdom? It was precedings that were all over her head, but she understood well enough. Rurik could simply ruin Karstark. She watched as the rage quelled from the fat man. He reminded her of a scared puppy. Was this the man she had so feared?

Rurik surprised her further by demanding the release of all the slaves. Those who wanted to go anyways. She knew plenty enjoyed their lives here. Indeed, they were well provided for so long as they behaved and did as they were bid. Some might not leave out of simple fear. Fear of the future, fear of being hunted down. Even if this was a decree, Karstark was a resourceful man and with his wealth she was sure he could find some accidents for those who left. Then Rurik's attention turned to her. His tone was calmer and gentler than that cold tone he spoke to Karstark with. At these instructions Enid gave a small nod. Quick as a scared rabbit she ducked around the men and fled down the hall.

In her small, sparse chambers she looked around. There was nothing she owned. Sure she had clothing but all of them had been provided by Karstark. So she removed the flimsy and thin dress and began rifling in the chest. A time ago Karstark had her working outside, certainly not as a Gardner. Still those clothes would be better suited to travel. After some digging she found them at the bottom. A low it dress of green wool that matched her eyes in hue but clashed magnificently with her spiraling mane of red. It was simple if still showy and warmer than the nearly sheer dress. So she shrugged it on. The sleeves were to her wrists but the heckling dipped to her breasts and was cu so her shoulders were bare. The hem reached her ankles and she had no shoes, no of the slaves wore shoes. So bare foot it would be. There was also a light cloak she shrugged on, more of a cape let really as it only hung to her knees. Still it was warmer than no cloak despite the thinness of it. With nothing else to gather she went to the stables.

At first the stable master eyed her warily. Staring at the ground she insisted that she was sold to master Rurik. He allowed her to wait by the coach but kept a watchful eyes on her. It would be his hide with lashings if she fled while he was right there. As she stood there, pacing a little an excitement was bubbling inside of her. She was leaving, really and truly leaving. It was enough to make her want to smile and cry all at once. But she kept that mask on and continued to pace.

It was a more calm if not any happier Rurik that emerged from Katstark’s study, sadly the same could not be said for the other man. The merchant lord himself looked to be on the verge of a fit or heart attack, possibly both. It was of little concern to the master of coin though, he’d used Karkstark’s fear to both right the dealing of the night before as well as finalize the details of Enid and the other slaves’ release. Any who chose to stay would be paid a fair wage and those who left would be under the protection of the old man himself for five years, it would be Rurik he answered to if anything should happen to any of them. It wasn’t as if it was more than the fat pig could afford at all, when he’d put that arugment forwards Rurik had simply suggested that he spend less of his vast wealth on decadences like circalya sap – the double edged comment had not been missed.

So it was no real surprise that within forty minutes the two had emerged, Rurik getting more or less exactly what he wanted. “Mark my words Rurik, you should know better than to throw your lot in with the King. A rat like you should know better than anyone how to abandon a sinking ship”. The comment had been made to the back of Rurik’s departing head, and before he could turn round to confront the bucket of lard he heard the door to Karstark’s study slam shut and bolt into the locked position. He could have made a scene and pounded on the door until the older man was forced to let him in, or simply slip the hidden knife from his boot and pry the hinges off the oak frame. But no, it wouldn’t really achieve anything. Instead he resolved the keep that same knife under his pillows at night, not knowing quite when Karstark’s courage might come back in the form of a hired thug.

With a sneer of disgust and a shake of is head Rurik started to make his way down to the stable where he had first arrived. There was enough in the way of supplies that he had brought to feed both himself and Enid throughout the trip, but in his current mood he felt the need to deprive Karstark of a little more of his ‘hospitality’. He stopped by the kitchens and politely asked the cook if she would kindly provide a breakfast for two, saying that he would wait and carry it himself to where it needed to be. Of course no argument was offered for such an esteemed guest, and soon Rurik was one his way again with a wrapped bundle of warm food in his arms.

He arrived at the stables shortly after to see the man who ran the stalls staring out of the corner of his eyes at Enid, a worried look on his face as if she had the words ‘horse thief’ tattooed across her face. With a hand clasped on his shoulder Rurik thanked him for looking after his animals and assured him that Enid was exactly where she was supposed to be before coming over to the young woman herself.

His eyes swap over her and took in the sight of her clothes, unable to miss the low cut of the revealing dress, but more focused on the lack of any sort of footwear. “We’ll have to get you some new clothes when we arrive” he offered by way of a greeting, gesturing that Enid should indeed be inside the carriage rather than having stood waiting for him outside of it. He opened the door for her himself and stepped aside to let her past him, there were two rows of cushioned benches facing each other inside, a gap of perhaps four feet between them. The bundle of food was placed on a seat for a moment as Rurik rather distractedly vanished for a moment to route through his small clothing chest, coming back with a large black pair of thick woollen socks. “They might be a little large” he conceded as he held them out for Enid to take “But they’re clean and considerably warming than being barefoot”.

Enid heard boots on the fine gravel approaching. Not evening having to look she knew just who it would be. Every person had a distinct walk, no matter the speed. The quick, jaunty stride of someone young and in a position of power was easy to know. She looked up as Rurik approached the stable master, assuring him that she was supposed to have been there. Had she been a different woman she might have stuck her tongue out at the man in a "i told you so" fashion. But there she remained, her pacing halted, the mask firmly in place even as Rurik approached. Still she managed to keep her eyes on him, even if it was a practice in forced effort. As he came to her she could see the sweeping, appraising look he gave. It was a painfully familiar look, but didn't hold the same context as it did with the men who had previously given that look. His first words pulled a puzzled frown from her. She looked at the dress and caplet, picking at the side of her green dress. He was not pleased with her attire. Rather than protest she just looked up at him with that self same puzzled expression until he opened the door to the carriage.

When he stepped aside to permit her to enter first a foot moved back a pace instinctively. This was passing out of her realm of comfort. No slave entered a carriage, certainly not first. Then she had to remind herself she was no longer a slave. Still, she wasn't his consort or wife, she was certain that a valet would still open the door for their master...employer. Like a wary hound she moved forward and placed a bare foot on the small step. That was when he suddenly took his leave to the back of the carriage which gave her pause. She held still like a little statue, watching where he had gone. It was not long before he returned with a pair of black woolen socks and offered them up to her. At first she thought he simply disapproved of not being shod. Then she realized that it was a gesture of a sort of caring. He was concerned that her feet were cold. While they were a little chill, it was not a sensation she wasn't used to. Still she reached out and took the socks from him. "Thank you," she said quietly. The corners of her lips twitched again and her eyes brightened ever so slightly. A smile was desperately trying to break through but she was just as desperately trying to keep it at bay.

For a moment she simply stood there as if lost. He had given her so many gifts in less than twenty four hours and she had nothing for him except blank looks. Her head shook suddenly as if she only just remembered where she was. Hands finding the sides of the door she pushed herself into the spacious and comfortable carriage. Very carefully as if scared she might break something she took a seat on one of the padded benches. Then in a rather unladylike display she hiked her skirts to her knees and pulled the socks on. Indeed they were rather large on her miniscule feet. Where the sock might have been but a couple of inches above his ankles, they reached nearly half way up her calf when she pulled them tight for the toe to touch the end. Even still they slipped down to pool at her ankles. A small sort of puff of air escaped her mouth that might have been the ghost of a laugh. She had on a wry expression that was not quite a smile but wrinkled up one side of her face in mild amusement.

Once Rurik was in the carriage she heard the driver give a shout and with a squeaking jolt the two horse team pulled forward and they were on their way. Unable to help herself Enid leaned out of the open window of the carriage, propped up on her knees, to watch as they rolled away from the estate. This departure was so very different from the arrival. Cold, hungry and wet, it had been raining that day. One of ten she was brought behind a horse, shackled to the woman before and behind her. Of that line two had taken sick, one died and the other had lost her ability to speak and so became a kitchen worker. Sometimes Enid had thought they were the lucky ones. As they passed the sprawling grounds and then passed through the guarded gates Enid heaved a heavy sigh, still watching as the estate disappeared into the distance. Freedom. She never dared to think of it. Now it was here and she wasn't entirely certain how to feel.

It was then she remembered she wasn't alone and looked over to Rurik from the kneeling position she had taken on the bench to watch the estate grow small in the distance. This wasn't the proper way to behave, she suddenly realized. Slowly and carefully she moved her legs back to the floor and sat properly on the bench. Now what? Would they spend three days, or longer if she was to be employed by him, in strange silence? Enid fiddled with the folds of the capelet, eyes darting from the floor to Rurik. A question was boiling inside of her but she was hardly certain if it was her place to ask him questions. Unable to stop herself she suddenly blurted out, "what is the capital like?"

Back
Top Bottom