Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Need help for my writing.

Okabe

Star
An incident made me realise how urgent the need to improve my writing is.
You can read my posts on that forum to have an idea about how I write. It is too repetitive and there is not enough details in my opinion. I'm handicaped by two factors, I'm used to short sentenced RP and english is not my native language.

Do you have any advice or constructive criticism for me ? Or a book to recommand so I can enrich my vocabulary ? I'm tired of not being able to write correctly.

Read some of your posts, as you mention your short sentences are probably explained by English being a second language. So I won't concern myself too much about that.

On a creative level, I found that your posts lack "colour", you describe what is happening a little, but only in a very basic manner.

In one of your RP's you write that your character is at a party, but you don't describe the location, why the party happened, what the guests were like or what the party was like etc.

Character descriptions, describe the character, what they look like, how they dress, how they see themselves and the world around them, give some history so we know where they have come from, talk about their interests. Bring them to life.

Also, describing the characters thoughts and feelings adds a lot to a RP as well, how do they feel about what is going on around them, what are they thinking? How do they feel about the character speaking to them and what is being said?

I hope that helps. Read some other similar threads on here as well, like the one titled "Details, details, details" and "What makes a successful RP request thread" for more advice and ideas.

In short I didn't care about your character because they didn't have a personality, it was much like watching a stranger in the street, at first you are curious but it soon wears off and you stop looking.

Hope that helps.

Ralph Waldo Emerson and Thoreau. If you can get through their essays, you'll be golden.

I struggle to write in a way that captures the imagination. One little cheat I use from time to time is to ask myself about the various senses. What do the characters smell, see, feel hear. In answering those questions, you start adding details. The candle burning or perfume, did he run and not shower yet? Does she see a clock on the wall, hear ticking, a car outside. As I said, in some ways, it's a cheesy checklist kind of technique, but it helps me think and usually lets me add in more color and details to my writings.

Back
Top Bottom