Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Over rated films

I liked the Wrestler, but I will agree that it was no different to any other "has been" movie whether the has been was a movie star, rock star, riches to rags type story.

I didn't see the big deal about Black Swan either, I didn't even think the lesbian scene was very good.

In so many of the films listed in this thread (except for maybe the Tim Burton Batman films), these movies look good on paper, they draw you in but when you watch them you just think "oh well" at the very best.

I agree as well that the making of Apocalypse Now would be far more interesting than the movie itself!

Titanic. Even when it first came out, I didn't understand what everyone saw in that movie and I still don't. I love me some Leo but that movie was boring, vapid and unfulfilling for the hype it got.

Corpse Bride and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I love Burton and I ate that kinda morbid shit up in highschool but Corpse Bride felt flighty and stupid. It felt like commercialized Burton, like how listening to Ke$ha feels dirty after the glory and sexy trampyness of Christina Aguilera. Yes, it's pop music with a sleazy tone but honestly, she's just talking and repeating words with an infectious catchy beat. You can't trick me, Ke$ha. I don't know what anybody saw in the new Alice in Wonderland. The girl who plays Alice is emotionless and barely there at all; you could take her out and have everything happening like a first person shooter and nothing would be missing as far as emotional connection to events. Don't get me started on Johnny Depp's makeup, it was a hideous mess. What was that? Zombified Carrot Top? The scenery and "art" of that movie was like they took all the color they leeched out of the Corpse Bride and sharted it out into the next movie.

I have not been fond of the animated films of the last few years. Movies like Tangled and Brave although everyone says how great they are and recommends them to me constantly, feel like cliched Disney crap. Like, same old stories they've done before but let's ruin them this time around. I cannot stand Tangled. I loathe that film and it's rhythmically unsound musical numbers. Seriously, the tempo is way off on "Mother Knows Best". And I want to choke Rapunzel with her own hair. That's not naivete, that's "too stupid to live".

Anyway, Wall-E and Cars, which are also recommended to me constantly feel boring and preachy. They fail to make any emotional connection, so, I find myself fading out of the "drama and action" before halfway through.

Moulin Rouge. OMG, I hate that movie so much! I suffered through half an hour and had to quit. I couldn't do anymore. It's absurd but it's the type of absurdity that winks at you and says "This is so silly! Aren't we all so silly!?" No! Fuck you!

That's all I got right now.

I have no idea why anyone would recommend 'Cars' I really don't. While not all that bad it is extremely, extremely boring and while there is some passable acting you don't tend to care for any of the characters in the movie.

As for the movie I would toss under a bus, pretty much all of the newer Batman movies. I don't think they are bad, they are a lot better than they could have been but fall so very short of the bar everyone seems to think they set. Kinda disappointing.

I like to think I could stomach watching any of the more modern Disney films, but after they had the brass balls to make Cars and then make PLANES (which I swear to Christ, I thought was just somebody triolling the shit out of me, or me being punked or something) I have to give Disney credit at the very least- they managed to screw even more people out of their money with an idea that was old as soon as Knight Rider was through with it.

I personally found Knocked Up and Funny People to be very overrated movies. Anything Judd Apatow does in general doesn't interest me. I've never hated anything he's done but I honestly have no idea why some people think he is one of the greatest directors currently in the industry.

Millenium Joker said:
I like to think I could stomach watching any of the more modern Disney films, but after they had the brass balls to make Cars and then make PLANES (which I swear to Christ, I thought was just somebody triolling the shit out of me, or me being punked or something) I have to give Disney credit at the very least- they managed to screw even more people out of their money with an idea that was old as soon as Knight Rider was through with it.

Disney in itself is over rated, they specialize in a dumbed down entertainment that features lots of cute characters that can be merchandised and sold off later, here is the real sinister part, their target is kids, the hope is these kids will grow up and have kids themselves and push the same crap onto them.

They couldn't even make an exciting movie about Pirates for crying out loud!

How many times have you heard someone saying they want to go to Disney land because they feel it is the happiest place on Earth? *chunders*

Ted. Garbage movie that I was repeatedly told was the funniest movie ever. I should have trusted my instincts instead of listening to other people.

littlerooster said:
Millenium Joker said:

Disney in itself is over rated, they specialize in a dumbed down entertainment that features lots of cute characters that can be merchandised and sold off later, here is the real sinister part, their target is kids, the hope is these kids will grow up and have kids themselves and push the same crap onto them.

They couldn't even make an exciting movie about Pirates for crying out loud!

How many times have you heard someone saying they want to go to Disney land because they feel it is the happiest place on Earth? *chunders*

In fairness, I liked the Pirates moviesbecause of the material AND the story, not what Disney seemed to think was the winning combo people pages to see, namely Johnny Depp in Guyliner, dressed like a Mardi gras parade float exploded, exchanging witty banter with an unshaven, even less sanitary (and exponentially less showered) Geoffrey Rush.

Besides.... When they came out, the world was in need of a good pirate-themed movie, not another Blackbeard's Ghost. :-\

Not ashamed about the fact at least one of these in my top ten will generate flaming at me.. but the top ten most overrated and overly hyped films of all time (not in any real numeric order because they are all equally so:

Titanic
Mona Lisa Smile
The English Patient
Napoleon Dynamite
The entire New Jersey series by Kevin Smith
Anything that George Clooney has done where he was supposed to carry the movie.
Rocky Horror Picture Show (and I actually LOVE the movie.. so I am just being fair here...)
The Twilight Series
Eat, Pray, Love

Mean Girls. People love to quote that like it's the greatest thing to ever grace movie screens. Sure, there were a couple of chuckle-out-loud moments, but overall, I didn't think it was uproariously funny like people make it out to be.

I don't care for most of Johnny Depp's movies, and people think I'm insane for saying so. The Lone Ranger was horrible, in my opinion, and I didn't care for Sweeny Todd either. Pirates of the Carribean was about the only tolerable films that I've seen him in, but they had a great supporting cast.

Ruphhausin said:
Not ashamed about the fact at least one of these in my top ten will generate flaming at me.. but the top ten most overrated and overly hyped films of all time (not in any real numeric order because they are all equally so:

Titanic
Mona Lisa Smile
The English Patient
Napoleon Dynamite
The entire New Jersey series by Kevin Smith
Anything that George Clooney has done where he was supposed to carry the movie.
Rocky Horror Picture Show (and I actually LOVE the movie.. so I am just being fair here...)
The Twilight Series
Eat, Pray, Love

I would have to agree with MOST of this, only.... whereas I LOVE the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I personally very much enjoyed Kevin Smith's stuff in the 'Jay and Silent Bob' stories, including (but not limited to) Dogma and Mallrats

I LOVE RHPS as well, Joker.. I just do think that some things about it are a bit overdone. We will just agree to disagree on the Kevin Smith stuff (though I give him his props for calling the Twilight "phenomenon what it really is...).

Ruphhausin said:
I LOVE RHPS as well, Joker.. I just do think that some things about it are a bit overdone. We will just agree to disagree on the Kevin Smith stuff (though I give him his props for calling the Twilight "phenomenon what it really is...).

Say what you want to about things being overdone in RHPS (especially the dancing and singing and meatloaf zombies and laser tuning forks) but one thing can NOT be denied- Time Curry is the freaking MAN.

If you saw him nowadays you'd never think he would look hot in drag. :/

Saw August: Osage County last night, really didn't want to watch it, during it I looked it up on IMBD as I didn't know much about it, so it told me it was a black comedy. I like black comedies but this one didn't feel that funny, even in a black way. The whole film is quite miserable and you really don't like too many of the characters especially Meryl Streep's character. So given the hype around it, I would say very much over rated.

MJ, you are right. I just think that nowadays, the cult following is a little extreme I guess.

(An aside.. I wonder if we should start a thread about underrated films..there really are a lot out there....)

littlerooster.. I read the synopsis of August: Osage County.. that is SO NOT A BLACK COMEDY. IMDB has it WRONG. But still, you are on the money at how overrated it really is.

LadyLarunai.. I think most "series" are to a degree overrated.. especially when they try to be something they are not... while I like the Hunger Games, I found "The Golden Compass" (and the books it was based on) to be worth of its own MST3K episode.

Ruphhausin said:
MJ, you are right. I just think that nowadays, the cult following is a little extreme I guess.

(An aside.. I wonder if we should start a thread about underrated films..there really are a lot out there....)

littlerooster.. I read the synopsis of August: Osage County.. that is SO NOT A BLACK COMEDY. IMDB has it WRONG. But still, you are on the money at how overrated it really is.

LadyLarunai.. I think most "series" are to a degree overrated.. especially when they try to be something they are not... while I like the Hunger Games, I found "The Golden Compass" (and the books it was based on) to be worth of its own MST3K episode.

There are so many under rated and as a connection not well known films that are so brilliant, I think a thread would be a great idea.

Yes, when I was watching the film I tried to find examples of black comedy as well, but really asides from everyone's situation becoming worse as the film went on, I didn't get many laughs - unless I was just laughing at the film itself, yes I still expect laughs even if it is a black comedy!

At the most I would write it up as an attempt at satirizing the concept of the "close" all American family, which I guess it does that well enough but is still a dull film.

I heard Bernie was a good Black Comedy starring Jack Black as an obssessive mortician or something.

A thread for underrated movies would be a grand idea.

Im mixed on Hunger Games. I have never seen nor read the books/movies, but... Somebody explain to me why THAT gets a cult following, but something well-written and frankly underrated like the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books get barely a mention, let along that... embarrassing fart of a Harry Potter Ripoff movie.

MJ.. thank you for giving a good example... the funniest thing about it (or not very funny at all, depending on your POV) is that it is based on a true story..

Back
Top Bottom