Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

DudeMeister and Astara

Rowan adjusted the boiled leather forearm guards of his sparring equipment, tightening the straps to make sure the won't slide out of place. Making sure that his face was firmly secured in the gridded mask of his sparring helmet, he picked up his blunted longsword and sauntered off into the square sparring ring. It had been 5 years since the Order took him in...training and honing his body for hard combat. This was a huge test that he had to take before he would be allowed to do field work and eventually become a fully fledged knight. Seeing his opponent across from him, he took a well balanced stance. The other cadet lunged at him, and with a small movement Rowan parried the blow out of the way, leveling the point of his blade to his face and thrusting forward. The first strike was his. Although this bout wouldn't be judged by points, the overseeing sword masters would determine wether or not a cadet would pass or fail based on how dominant he was in the session.

His well muscled and thick arms swung the sword as if it was a feather, registering many horizontal hits. Although the other squire was the same size as Rowan, he was obviously dominated by his skill and power. After many moments the match was stopped, and the other student collapsed in exhaustion. Upon failing this test, he'd have to take it again. Nothing personal, he just wasn't ready

"Winner: Rowan!" shouted the trainer, as Rowan took off his fencing helmet, reveiling his intense and angular face, short cropped brown hair, and green eyes.

DudeMeister said:
Rowan adjusted the boiled leather forearm guards of his sparring equipment, tightening the straps to make sure the won't slide out of place. Making sure that his face was firmly secured in the gridded mask of his sparring helmet, he picked up his blunted longsword and sauntered off into the square sparring ring. It had been 5 years since the Order took him in...training and honing his body for hard combat. This was a huge test that he had to take before he would be allowed to do field work and eventually become a fully fledged knight. Seeing his opponent across from him, he took a well balanced stance. The other cadet lunged at him, and with a small movement Rowan parried the blow out of the way, leveling the point of his blade to his face and thrusting forward. The first strike was his. Although this bout wouldn't be judged by points, the overseeing sword masters would determine wether or not a cadet would pass or fail based on how dominant he was in the session.

His well muscled and thick arms swung the sword as if it was a feather, registering many horizontal hits. Although the other squire was the same size as Rowan, he was obviously dominated by his skill and power. After many moments the match was stopped, and the other student collapsed in exhaustion. Upon failing this test, he'd have to take it again. Nothing personal, he just wasn't ready

"Winner: Rowan!" shouted the trainer, as Rowan took off his fencing helmet, reveiling his intense and angular face, short cropped brown hair, and green eyes.

Tavian was on her way back from one of her lessons in Arcane magic, and happened to be passing by the training yard just as Rowan's sparring session began. She stopped and watched as Rowan struck the other cadet again and again. When he was declared the winner, she smiled and shook her head, dark hair falling down her shoulders in straight silky waves. He really was quite good, and she had no doubt that he would have a knighthood bestowed upon him soon.

She too would be receiving her own title soon, but as of yet had not made up her mind where she wanted to focus her energies. Her strong suit was in Arcane magic, but it had it's drawbacks. It was ofttimes unpredictable and could also be... addictive if one wasn't careful. It wasn't the only option to consider however. There was also practical application, which included potions, healing poultices and such things that were needed on a more regular basis. Then there was the third option. She could follow the path of the Pedagogues. These were the mages who dedicated themselves, body and mind to the instruction of new apprentices and were more often than not, head of the Mages' Guilds across the land.

As Rowan left the sparring area, Tavian moved to greet him, the hem of her green robes lightly brushing the dusty earth. Her expression was one of open and genuine friendliness as her dark brown eyes moved over his handsome face. "Well done, Rowan. I have no doubt that after that performance, you will have a knighthood bestowed upon you within the year."

Rowan soon stepped out of the sparring ring wiping his sweaty brow when he saw Tavian. She was his only friend at the academy, and they have stuck together through thick and thin for the past five years. Happy to see her he greeted her with a similar friendly smile, and embraced her before customarily picking her up with ease and setting her down.

"Well, since I just passed I'll be sent on missions soon, and the Order will promote when I am ready" he said

"How goes your Arcane Magic studies?" he asked, walking beside her

She laughed as he picked her up off of her feet and smacked him playfully on the chest as he put her back down.

"No doubt you will be a force to be reckoned with when they finally do send you out into the world", she said grinning as he fell into step beside her. "My studies are nearly complete, and soon it will be time for me to be about The Order's business as well." She went quiet for a moment as they walked, then spoke more quietly. "The head Matron has told me that I will need to make a decision about which path I would like to pursue soon."

"And what are your options? Are you planning to be a Battle Mage, or would you prefer to do something less exciting?" he asked, teasing her slightly

"I was told that we'll be sent out by the head Matron soon. It will be interesting to be paired together" he added, twirling his sword as they walked

"I have a few options", she said glancing at him from the corner of her eye. "I'm not sure a Battle Mage would be my first choice." Tavian grinned at him then and shook her head, saying airily, "Maybe I'll decide to forsake all but my craft and become a Pedagogue. I look lovely in white", she added cheekily.

When he spoke of the Head Matron, she stopped and turned to face him, her expression one of confusion. "Strange. She made no mention of it to me. Did she tell you when she expects to send us out?"

"The head matron didn't address me directly. I was told that we'll be going out for fieldwork by Sir Amblard." he said stopping his pace when she did, and beginning to unbuckle his forearm guards

"I wonder what our assignment will be. Usually when squires are sent out on missions they are sent in pairs, I've never even heard of a squire and a mage being sent out together." he added

Tavian never thought that she and Rowan would be sent out together. It was odd that the order had decided to do things differently this time. Still, she shrugged it off and looked up into her friend's face with a warm smile.

"I couldn't imagine what the thinking is behind it. Maybe they're trying to be more progressive?" Of course it was just speculation, and she couldn't help but wonder as Rowan did what kind of assignment they were to be given.

Either way, she couldn't think of anyone she'd rather be sent out with. There weren't many people she trusted as she did Rowan.

"Did Sir Amblard say anything else?"

"No he didn't...but I'd imagine that that accomplishing the mission would take more...finesse. If it was the run of the mill security job than they would send fighters. Maybe they feel that it requires a mage's intellect to solve" he said

"But there is no way to know until we are summoned. I guess I'll see you later" he said, walking off and waving to her

"So it needs my brains and your braun?" she asked playfully. She kept her voice light, but in no way thought that their mission would be easy. They never were from what she'd heard from others. Nodding, she watched Rowan walk away and went about her own business for the rest of the day.

It wasn't until after the evening meal that they were summoned by the Head Matron. As Tavian made her way into the woman's chambers, she couldn't help but think that this particular mission they were about to be sent on was anything but run of the mill.

The imposing woman looked at the both of them from across the large desk and cleared her throat.
"We have been sent for by the village of Keredain in the North. They have been experiencing a series of unexplained disappearances. They have done their best to look into it themselves, but have yet to make any progress. They have no mage and their village watch is small and stretched thin as it is. The two of you will go and discover the reason behind these disappearances and will send word back to us as soon as you discover anything of significance. Is that clear?"

Tavian glanced over at Rowan quickly before bowing her head in acquiescence. "Yes Head Matron", she said quietly.

"Good. You leave in the morning. Take care, the both of you."

With a gesture of her hand, the two of them were shown out, the door clicking softly shut behind them, leaving them alone in the quiet hallway.

He nodded in obedience and bowed to the Head Matron after there mission was explained. After they were dismissed he walked alongside Tavian. She was quiet and obviously worried, he could tell. They had been friends since he began at the Order, so he knew when she was in distress.

"Are you worried about our journey?" he asked her

When she felt they had walked far enough, she stopped and turned to face him.

"Of course I'm worried. I hadn't expected to leave so soon. Whatever is going on must be more important than they're telling us. Otherwise they would have prepared us more, don't you think?"

She smiled as she looked up into her friends face and smiled softly, shaking her head. "Never mind. I'm sure it's just nerves. We'll head out in the morning, all will be well, and when we return our training will be complete."

He sighed and nodded.

"You're probably right. But I guess we'll just have to go through with this mission. However I swear I'll do everything in my power to protect you. I won't let any harm come to you" he said, before walking ahead of her

"I have to pack and get ready. I'll see you tomorrow morning" he said, waving farewell to her

She smiled a little at his attempt to make her feel better, but it was short-lived. Even as he spoke, she noticed that his mind seemed to be elsewhere. Watching him walk off, she bid him a soft goodnight, then turned and made her way back to her own room.

She made quick work of packing, but when it came to sleeping, she was unable to. The future stretched out uncertainly in front of her and she was worried. Not only for herself, but for Rowan as well. When the morning sun finally did begin to make its ascent, she was already up and ready to go, though not well rested.

After leaving Tavian, Rowan went to the armory spent much of the night selecting proper combat gear. They had to travel fast and light, so heavy plated armor was out of the question. They as well would prefer to avoid conflict altogether as they journeyed through the wilderness, so cumbersome and noisy chain mail was out of the question also. Rowan also weighed the variable that he was not only fighting for himself, but also for Tavian, so the two-handed longsword whose techniques he spent years to perfect wouldn't be ideal. His weapon of choice would have to be a broadsword, and he selected one that was of balanced weight with a blade that was thick towards the hilt, yet tapered to a stout point. He as well picked out a round shield to hold as a barrier for himself and Tavian should they be forced into a fight and would need to keep a tight formation. He as well picked out a leather cuirass, lamed pauldrons, and vembraces.

The next morning he was outfitted and ready, strapping a saddle to his black steed as he waited for Tavian.

When Tavian walked into the courtyard, she offered Rowan a warm, yet tired smile. She packed light as well, only taking what she thought she might need with her, which consisted of a few changes of clothing and a satchel containing herbs and potions she thought might be helpful.

"God morning. I see you're ready to go. Are you quite prepared?"

Yawning slightly, Rowan offered her a lazy 'good morning'.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I've brought you something. I hope you won't have to use them, but we can never be to careful" he said, turning around and holding out a dirk and a buckler, both light enough for her to use

"Just in case you run out of tricks" he added

Her eyes moved from his face to the items he held in his hands, then back up to his face. Her lips slowly tilted up into a smile and she shook her head. "Tricks? Is that what you think of my abilities?" she asked as she took the dirk and buckler from him. She knew that wasn't what he really thought, but liked to give him a hard time all the same.

"Thank you..."

He smirked slightly when she quipped back at him. "Well, there is nothing wrong with tricks you know" he said as he gently grasped her hips and lifted her effortlessly onto her horse. He than mounted his steed and soon they were out the fortress gates to start there adventure

"Heh...I wonder if we'll survive" he said jokingly

"Nothing at all", she answered back with a quick smile, resting her hands on his shoulders as he lifted her onto her horse. "And I have more than a few up my sleeves." Settled upon her horse she leaned over to pat the chestnut mare on her neck.

Her eyes traveled to his back as he budged his horse into motion. Sitting up straight in her saddle, she put on her most calm face. "Of course we will. What a ridiculous thing to say." It was hard to keep a straight face when she said it, but managed to for a few moments. They were going on an adventure! Despite how serious the terms, they were still being sent out. They were finally ready and Tavian couldn't be happier.

They rode the whole day. It would take about 3 days to arrive at Keredaine, so they'd have seek lodgings in inns on the road or seek shelter in the wilds. It was growing dark and the two haven't seen an inn, so they went off the road to set camp, when all of a sudden Rowan heard something in the distance. It sounded like a screech and a growl.

"Did you hear that?" he asked Tavian as he dismounted his horse and tied it to a tree trunk. The guttural sounds of the orcish language could be heard in the distance. It was rare for orcs to travel north, let alone so close to the main road.

"Let's check it out" he said

It was a lovely day and Tavian enjoyed every moment of sunshine that it had to offer, so when the sun began to set and they were not any closer to an Inn, she simply shrugged it off. Sleeping in the woods was not something she minded at all, especially since she knew that Rowan would be nearby.

Her head came up quickly as they were setting up camp, the shrill sound traveled through the woods and shivered. "Yes, I heard it", she said glancing around nervously. Orcs were ferocious creatures and usually did not travel in groups less than ten, so when he wanted to go check it out, her eyes widened. "Rowan... there's only two of us. There could be dozens out there in the dark."

She wan't a coward by any means, but Tavian had a healthy respect for her life and the life of her friend. Still... weren't they being sent out to protect people? What if this band ran across some poor family?

Finally, with a sigh, she nodded. "Alright... let's go take a look. But quietly", she urged.

He left his shield with the horse, it's weight would be cumbersome if they intended on spying on the orc party undetected. He climbed up a hill and threw a thick of trees carefully, before going down to crawl on the ground, gesturing for her to do the same, and quietly.

The party consisted of 40 orcs...a group far larger than what was expected. The campsite was full of many tents, and the wargs that the orcs would mount were tied up to posts in the ground. The orcs were as well far better armed than one would suspect. The blackened swords were sharp and stout, and there armor was well made. Usually orcs were raiders, brigands armed with shoddy weapons and at most boiled leather. On each of there cuirasses was the sigil of a fist rendered in blood red paint. He had no idea what that could mean...but it didn't seem to bode well.

Not liking where this was going at all, Tavian let out a long sigh before strapping the dirk he gave her earlier to her waist. Before she could say anything else, he was already on his way and gesturing for her to follow. Glad that I had not rained recently, Tavian dropped to the ground next to him, feeling the cool dirt beneath her fingers.

When we they finally came across the orcs, she gasped at their numbers. Granted, forty wasn't necessarily a lot, but she knew that they rarely traveled in groups no larger than ten. And they were well armed which was even more bizarre than seeing them in a big group. This spelled bad news all around, and she reached over to grasp Rowan's shoulder to get his attention. When he glanced her way, she gestured for them to go back the way they came. They had to talk about what they were going to do next.

Feeling Tavian's hand on his shoulder, Rowan turned to face her as she gestured to climb down. No doubt she wanted to discuss a plan of action. There was no way that the two of them could take all forty, so they had to be careful. Quietly crawling down the hill behind her, they were by there horses at a safe distance away.

"What do you think we should do?" he whispered to her

Back
Top Bottom